PDA

View Full Version : How to Read and Write Posts in Thamizh Script ?

Oldposts
27th October 2004, 09:35 AM
[tscii:9d633735dc]

Topic started by neo_morpheus (@ ppp-219.65.96.193.chn.vsnl.net.in) on Mon Jun 23 16:18:02 .

This has been a source of concern for many of the friends here. Some of them have already found out how to read and write thamizh scripts, and also are aware of the tools and fonts which are needed for that purpose.

I'm giving the necessary info regarding this issue, which various people have provided in other threads here.(Special mention : punnahai and madurai veeran)

A lot of people have used 'Murasu Anjal' to compose and post in thamizh script prior to this. But, it is quite a cumbersome process to do it using Murasu's Thamizh text editor.

There is a new, exciting tool which enables us, hassle-free, to write in thamizh script - called
'e-kalappai'. This tool is a free-to-download tool, created by the generous volunteer work of thamizh techno-geeks under the aegis of www.tamil.net , created by Bala Pillai and Muthu Nedumaran.

If you want to just READ webpages which have thamizh scripts/content in it, all you need is a single font -'TSC_Avarangal' - and you can download that fontfile(.ttf) from here :

http://www.tamil.net/tscii/tools.html (http://www.tamil.net/tscii/tools.html
)

In that link, just download that TSC_Avarangal font file(.ttf) from the 'Fonts' link.

It would be better if you could download and install all other 'TSC'(TSCII standard) fonts from that link in addition to 'TSC_Avarangal'.

If you want to WRITE/POST thamizh script/content here, you may want to download and install the
'e-kalappai' tool from here :

http://www.tamil.net/tscii/tools.html (http://www.tamil.net/tscii/tools.html
)

Just look in that page under 'Keyboard drivers' link.

The 'e-kalappai' tool let's you to directly 'type' in thamizh scripts in the response box. All you need to do is:

* After downloading that tool, re-start your system, so that the system's registry gets updated.

* Configure your IE browser by choosing 'View' from the Browser menubar, under that 'Encoding' option - make it 'User-defined'.

You can use 'e-kalappai' to compose thamizh script/content in :

* notepad

* word document

* discussion group response-boxes etc..

Remember :

If you want to just READ thamizh scripts, 'TSC_Avarangal' font is enough.

If you need to WRITE, start the e-kalappai tool and run it in background. Press ALt + 2 for beginning to write in thamizh, and if you want to revert back to normal english typing - Press ALT + 1. simple!.

I request our friends here to update/add any new info regarding reading/writing thamizh scripts. People can post the queries here to get their doubts cleared.

" ¾Á¢ú ±í¸û ¯Â÷×ìÌ Å¡ý - þýÀò
¾Á¢ú ±í¸û «º¾¢ìÌî ͼ÷¾ó¾ §¾ý "

- À¡§Åó¾÷ À¡Ã¾¢¾¡ºÉ¡÷.

P.S :

TSCII - Thamizh Standard Code for Information Interchange.

[/tscii:9d633735dc]

Oldposts
I thought of adding one more link, which was provided by 'punnahai' elsewhere. In addition to the fonts/tools i have mentioned, you can check out this tool too :

>>
Check this link for typing in Tamil.

I think if you cut and paste you might be able to read too. You dont need any fonts.

http://www24.brinkster.com/umarthambi/db/mail.asp
>>

Oldposts
Neo.

there is already a thread to read / write in tamil.

I forgot to tell tell u.

anyway .. weldone.

when i tried my friend's computer, i realised that ekallapai is necessary to read in tamil also.

Oldposts

* Configure your IE browser by choosing 'View' from the Browser menubar, under that 'Encoding' option - make it 'User-defined'.

I have under encoding

auto select
western european windows
more

(more has chinese, turkish etc)

under no options do i have USER DEFINED..

can u plz tell me more

thx
note: I downloaded e-kalappai and i am able to read now in tamizh

Oldposts
Neo,
Good Job!!

Shakthi,
>> under no options do i have USER DEFINED..>>

I presume you wanted to say 'more option' not 'no options'. Yes from the more option choose user defined.

Oldposts
I'm just copying a post made by Punnahai in another thread regarding reading/writing in Thamizh. I have not tried it so far.

From: :) (@ d150-188-147.home.cgocable.net) on: Thu Jun 12 16:19:24 EDT 2003

check this link for typing in Tamil. I think if you cut and paste you might be able to read too. You dont need any fonts. http://www24.brinkster.com/umarthambi/db/mail.asp

Oldposts
Neo,
I have a doubt, how do I compose thamizh scripts in word document? I followed the same method used for typing in Notepad, but it does not work in Word.

Oldposts
hey roshan,

thx

i did not see that down arrow key.........

i did update it now

thx to all neo, kajan and roshan

Oldposts
Roshan,

I shall check out the problem that you have stated and get back to you later.

Shakthi,

Great going! Please spread the news about the thamiz fonts and 'e-kalappai' tool to as many friends of yours as you can!. Infact, that is the request from the creators of this 'e-kalappai' tool, tamil.net.

They want this tool to be popularized across a wide cross-section of people so that more and more web pages/sites have thamizh content.

Let us spread the 'script' of 'e-kalappai !!!'.

Oldposts
Roshan,

'e-kalappai' will work in Word Document too.

All you have to do is after opening a 'New' Document make sure the font selection(in the menubar) is 'TSC_Avarangal'. If it is not already TSC_Avarangal then change it to that font.

Now start typing just as u would do in the forum's response box(ALT + 2 for thamizh mode). The same holds true(changing selected font to 'TSC_Avarangal')
for notepad too.

I guess it sh'd work.

Oldposts
Shakthi,

it is nice to know that u can read / write in tamil

Roshan,
for me it is working in word, my sister told it is working for aol email account also. she is sending emails in tamil. I am very glad to read them in tamil. unfortunately it is not working in yahoo email account

Oldposts
Kajan

I have also found that this thamizh-typing does not 'directly' work in many e-mail accounts. We can send the thamizh scripts, but if we receive it, we won't be able to directly 'read' the thamizh script on the e-mail page. We'd have to copy&paste them on to notepad under TSC fonts to read them.

But e-kalappai works perfectly in word document,wordpad etc for me.(Make sure that the font under which we type in word doc. is a TSC font).

I have also opened a similar thread to this one in the Tamil Literature - KavidhaigaL web-board section.

http://www.forumhub.com/poems/2947.19.38.32.html

Oldposts
Neo,

as i said i can read aol emails in tamil also.
and i never had probelms in word.

Oldposts
Neo,
I got it! Thanks!

Oldposts
Roshan and all other friends here..

What more could we do to popularise 'writing in thamizh' here in forumhub?..can we exchange some suggestions.?...

I have opened this 'How to READ/WRITE in thamizh scripts' thread in

-Miscellaneous
-Tamil history
-Tamil Films
-Tamil literature(Main)
-Tamil kavidhaigaL

5 sections! but i find only a handful of people writing in thamizh scripts.

In 'venpA vadikkalAm vA' thread in tamil literature section, there are many ppl. posting in thamizh. But they are likea closed circle. They dont seem to visit other sections in forumhub.

And many friends in tamil kavidhaikal section seem nonchalant about reading/writing thamizh scripts = except for our friends who write in 'ulagam enbathu ..' thread.

I hope the scene would change soon!

Oldposts
Neo,
Yes I know that yuo have opened this thread even in other section and as you say only a handful were enthusiastic to know about thamizh typing. Even though you have mentioned that e-kalappai is a hassle free tool for thamizh typing, I think most of them are still thinking that even the e-kalappai tool is cumbersome as other thamiz key boards. I think it would be better if you briefly explain with examples, that how easy this tool is for thamiz typing.

Remeber that, most of the people find lazy to look into details by themselves and expect spoon feeding :)

Oldposts
Roshan!

that's a good point!

I shall do it the next time i come here.

Oldposts
neo - mail me!

Oldposts
No I disagree with roshan,

there r lot of members using tamil fonts. thtey stirct to to some certain topic ( mainly literature ). they don't visit misse. section also.

Oldposts
test

Oldposts
Additional info for people who installed e-kalappai but could not 'Write' in thamizh :)

1. After installing e-kalappai you SHOULD re-start the system

2. You would notice a new icon in your system tray - which would be of 'Tauveltesoft Keyman' - which is the keyboard software which is bundled with e-kalappai
(this tray icon would look like a square with a slight slant)

3. right-click on that icon - you would get a list of options to be chosen.

4. From those - choose 'Keyman Configuration'

5. You would get a configuration box - which will have 2 tabs

i) keyboards
ii) options

In the 'keyboards' tab - there would be a 'Installed Keyboards' list. Most probably you would have only - 'TSCIIANJAL' listed there.

6. check the box near 'TSCIIANJAL' (put a tick)

7. And in the same 'keyboards' tab - see the other section called 'keyboard details'

you would notice 3 check boxes for 'Ctrl', 'shift' and 'Alt' and also a drop down box containing some options.

8. CHECK only the ALT box ,and from the drop-down list select 2.

(this effectively means that you can switch to 'thamizh writing' mode when you press ALT+2, when e-kalappai has been started and running in the background.)

9. Now go to the other tab - "Options"

There you would have 3 check boxes under "Keyman Off Hotkey"

Select/check/put a tick ONLY in the box near ALT.

And again, there would be a drop-down list near it;from there, choose 1.

(which effectively mean that - from thamizh mode if you want to switch back to normal "english typing" mode, you have to press ALT+1).

10. There will be another Section in the same "options" tab - called "General"

From there check the box near "Start Language indicator with keyman" (put a tick on that box).

11. Now - click on "Apply" and then on "ok".

=====================================

When you run e-kalappai in the background and press ALt+2 again you would notice that the tray icon - changes to '«' ( 'a' in thamizh script).

That means you can start typing in thamizh!

Friends please carefully follow the steps - and give a feedback if it properly works now.

Oldposts
Now - regarding 'Configuring' the Internet Explorer browser - to be able to 'READ' thamizh scripts - please note the following points :

* If your browser is IE, try this :

In the browser menubar -click on 'view' and under it - click on 'Encoding'; you would see a lot of encoding options there like arabic,chinese,japanese et al.

Among those options - find the option 'User-defined'.

It would be listed if you clicked 'More' under that 'Encoding' option.

* Select 'User-defined' and then 'Refresh' the page. you'd probably get to read thamizh scripts on the page directly, if you did this.

* When setting the encoding to "User Defined" , also uncheck "Auto-Select" in the same menu. You dont have to restart(re-start may be required in some cases).

* Then in your IE browser :

Choose 'Tools' from menubar.

Tools-->Internet Options--> Fonts-->

Choose "User Defined" in "Language Script" list-box of options.

Now in the section below that - You'd find a list of fonts.

From that - choose TSC..fonts in the two Font selection windows..Click Ok twice...

* You should now be able to read pages where TSC fonts are used. Your settings in the Browser are the ones which will determine if you can read Tamil directly or not.

(thanks for all the friends who have generously contributed info regarding this)

Oldposts
neo, great job!!

one question. Do you we have to choose Anjal? cant we use avarangal? I thought anjal does not work without installing murasu software.

Oldposts
Punnhai,

I guess u r right abt. that TSCANJAL keyboard. I'll get back to u later :-)

Oldposts
http://www.tamil.net/tscii/tools.html

Almost all the font files in that web page are unavailable including the avarangal font. I either get "file not found" or "you are not authorized" message from the yahoo group where I am redirected to.

That website is pure crap.

Oldposts
//That website is pure crap.//

mmc, seek some help from family and friends before it is too late. may be you are a good man at heart and all the hatred poured by your rss friends is ruining your mental balance. get the support of your family and friends.

Oldposts
Dear sir,
I am not MMC. My ID is a funny twist of the ID mmc uses to post his nonsense in this forum from proxify.com. He uses an ID called Alavanthan. I also think that MMC is the worst sort of scumbag to hit this forum. so dont call me mmc.

I am interested in Tamil fonts because I am interested in reading the Tamil posts and also to post in Tamil.

But the website does not allow anyone to download most of the font files. Go there and try for yourself. you will see what I mean.

http://www.tamil.net/tscii/tools.html

Oldposts
>> Pela Vanthan (@ proxify.com) on: Sat Jul 26 20:59:18 EDT 2003

It indeed seems that there is a 'temporary' problem in downloading TSC fonts from that tamil.net link.

However, you can still downoad e-kalappai tool from that link. There doesn't seem a problem doing that.

Now if you are interested in downloading 'TSC' fonts - there is another alternative.

http://www.geocities.com/Athens/5180/tsctools.html

You have lots of TSC fonts there and other resources. so try downloading from there.

The problem in tamil.net webpag - would most probably a temp. one, i suppose. But there are indeed other alternative links for downlading TSCII fonts, one of which i have mentioned above.

As i said u can still download e-kalappai from tamil.net. :-)

Oldposts
neo_morph

Tnx very much for the info. Much appreciated!

Oldposts
I think I should change my ID as people may feel uncomfortable calling some by dat name! :)

Oldposts
Why do you morons want to post in this yechhh ugly Tamil script? Use a real language like Kannada or Hindi. Kannada language is sweeter and the kannada script is so pleasing compared to this UGGGGGGLY Tamil script.

Oldposts
neo!!!!

Oldposts
Idiots like Neo and PA talk to themselves in this crytic language so no one can read and respond. Use a real language like Hindi/Kannada or post in english you idiots! Be courteous to your fellow posters!

Oldposts
punnahai,

You'd asked a question previously..

>> one question. Do you we have to choose Anjal? cant we use avarangal? I thought anjal does not work without installing murasu software.

True. we can just work with avarangal 'font'.

But in my previous exhaustive steps on configuring e-kalappai tool - i was referring to 'TSCIIANJAL' keyboard which comes bundled with the e-kalappai tool.

That is, it gets installed along with e-kalappai tool, as the default keyboard to be used in e-kalappai.

Am i missing your point here? please elaborate :)

and now...

what was that exclamation about ???!..
>>
From: :) (@ d150-188-97.home.cgocable.net) on: Mon Jul 28 09:01:29 EDT 2003

neo!!!! >>

are u referring to my patient answers to this 'proxify' id?! :-)

Oldposts
"But in my previous exhaustive steps on configuring e-kalappai tool - i was referring to 'TSCIIANJAL' keyboard which comes bundled with the e-kalappai tool. "

neo,
It is a long time since I configured, so I had totally forgotten about this aspect. I just go alt+1 or 2 and never read that it was TSCII anjal key board.

Given the problems I have had using murasu anjal, I guess I didnt read your post in its entirety :) Sorry.

Oldposts
[tscii:817f74579c]
punnahai,

it's ok :-)

Now i would like to reproduce some help from e-kalappai help-pages, on how to write and form thamizh words using e-kalappai tool.

That is, what english letters constitute in forming a thamizh word that you intend to type :

-------------------------------------------------------
¬í¸¢Ä ¯ûÇ£Î=====¾Á¢ú ¦ÅǢ£Î

ammaa =========>«õÁ¡
aatu=========> ¬Î
ilai=========> þ¨Ä
ii=========> ®
utukkai=========> ¯Î쨸
uunjcal=========> °ïºø
eRumpu=========> ±ÚõÒ
eeni=========> ²½¢
ainthu=========> ³óÐ
ottakam=========> ´ð¼¸õ
ootam=========> µ¼õ
auvai=========> ¶¨Å

kaN=========> ¸ñ
kaakam=========> ¸¡¸õ
kiLi=========> ¸¢Ç¢
kiizee=========> ¸£§Æ
kuzi=========> ÌÆ¢
kuuttam=========> Üð¼õ
keeraLam=========> §¸ÃÇõ
keelvi=========> §¸ûÅ¢
kai=========> ¨¸
kompu=========> ¦¸¡õÒ
kooppai=========> §¸¡ô¨À
kauthaari=========> ¦¸ª¾¡Ã¢

¬ò¾¢î ÝÊ
------------------

aRam ceya virumpu=========> «Èõ ¦ºÂ Å¢ÕõÒ
aaRuvathu cinam=========> ¬ÚÅÐ º¢Éõ
iyalvathu karaveel=========> þÂøÅÐ ¸Ã§Åø
iivathu vilakkeel=========> ®ÅРŢÄ째ø
utaiyathu viLampeel=========> ¯¨¼ÂРŢÇõ§Àø
uukkamathu kaiviteel=========> °ì¸ÁÐ ¨¸Å¢§¼ø
eN ezuththu ikazeel=========> ±ñ ±ØòÐ þ¸§Æø
eeRpathu ikazcci=========> ²üÀÐ þ¸ú
aiyamittu uN=========> ³ÂÁ¢ðÎ ¯ñ
oppuravu ozuku=========> ´ôÒÃ× ´ØÌ
oothuvathu oziyeel=========> µÐÅÐ ´Æ¢§Âø
auviyam peeceel=========> ¶Å¢Âõ §À§ºø
aqkam curukkeeL=========> «·¸õ ÍÕ째ø

More help for any difficult word(s) would be provided if specific word(s) are quoted here. :-)

[/tscii:817f74579c]

Oldposts
Oh Neo!!! You have done a great job. This is what I suggested before ( hope you remeber). Oru nalla aasiriyan maathiri explain paNNI irukeenga :-).

Oldposts
Harish, lets chase out Dr No Brain Neo Morpheus from FH. Let us start attacking whatever thread he posts at.

Oldposts
Dear Harish,

"Use a real language like Hindi/Kannada or post in english you idiots!"

You are just joking aren't you? Asking for English to be used - I can understand.....but Hindi/Kannada? REAL languages...........? What makes these languages REAL?

If you were just kidding please ignore this post. I think Neo has started a very good thread and we shouldn't be wasting space here.

Oldposts
¿ñÀ÷¸§Ç!
¾Á¢Æ¢ø ±ñ½í¸¨Ç À¾¢× ¦ºöÔõ ÓÂüº¢Â¢ý Ó¾ø ÀÊ!

«ýÒ¼ý
§ƒ¡

[tscii:e7f8b4d7da]¿ñÀ÷¸§Ç!

«ýÒ¼ý
§ƒ¡
[/tscii:e7f8b4d7da]

Oldposts
[tscii:783ae0ea6d]¿ñÀ÷¸§Ç!

«ýÒ¼ý
§ƒ¡
[/tscii:783ae0ea6d]

Oldposts
[tscii:86d964bf2d]
Å¡úòÐì¸û!!!!

[/tscii:86d964bf2d]

Oldposts
[tscii:062761e88f]
§ƒ¡!

Å¡úòÐì¸û! ¦¾¡¼÷óÐ '§ƒ¡Ã¡¸' ±ØÐí¸û! :-)

[/tscii:062761e88f]

Oldposts
neo,
I couldn't install e-kalappai since my system has Windows Me operating system.But I managed to type using Murasu editor and posted here..I have installed Avarangal font..when I browse this page,I can see my postings in tamil,but couldn't see yours and roshan's post above in tamil..At the same time I can see tamil in some of your posts(Eg..Title vairamuthu kavithai in "Ulagam enpathu ethanai per" thread)?

what is the reason?

Oldposts
Joe,
Have you chosen Encoding/User Defined in your browser?

Oldposts
Dear Nane than,
Thank you very much.Now it is allright.Thanks again.

Oldposts
Joe,

Congrats,

I am little curious,,, would u be able to read/write Tamizh from both home and work ?

Naan than,
r u the sameone posting frequently at films section ( fan of vickram / surya )

Oldposts
//would u be able to read/write Tamizh from both home and work ? //

Yes,Kajan.

Oldposts
[tscii:bc582bfd94]
it is good sign that no of ppl using this forum in ¾Á¢ú is incresing day to day.

þ¾É¡ø ¦ÀâÐõ ÀÂý «¨¼Ôõ ¿¡ý, ¿¢§Â¡Å¢ý ¿ü§º¨ÅìÌ ±ÉÐ À¡Ã¡ðÎì¸¨Ç Á£ñÎõ ¦¾Ã¢Å¢òÐ즸¡û¸¢§Èý.

Å¡ú¸ ¾Á¢ú!

[/tscii:bc582bfd94]

Oldposts
[tscii:b9142ae8d1]Thamiz sodhanai[/tscii:b9142ae8d1]

Oldposts
[tscii:69a5bf6ed3]¾Á¢ú §º¡¾¨É[/tscii:69a5bf6ed3]

Oldposts
[tscii:b00fbc7bcd]
¸ƒý! ¿ýÈ¢¸û ±¾üÌ?!

¸Å¢¨¾ò ¾¢Ã¢¸Ç¢ø ¿£í¸û¾¡§É «¾¢¸Á¡öò ¾Á¢ú ÀÂý ÀÎòи¢È£÷¸û. ¦¾¡¼ÃðÎõ ¯í¸û ¾Á¢úôÀ½¢!

[/tscii:b00fbc7bcd]

Oldposts
[tscii:b7e807872a]
«Å¾É¢ ¸ƒý,
Indeed, it is very nice to see more and more people on FH typing in Tamil with Tamil script rather than with English script. I think in almost one year, almost every Tamil speaker on FH will be typing in Tamil with Tamil script! ¾Á¢ú Å¡ú¸! ÅÄ÷¸ ¾Á¢ú!

[/tscii:b7e807872a]

Oldposts
[tscii:16f6315b7a]
Š¸ó¾§Åø ¿¼Ã¡ƒ¡,

not «Å¾É¢ ¸ƒý it must be «Å¡¾É¢ ¸ƒý. but u can use ¸ƒý. that is enough.

not ÅÄ÷¸ ¾Á¢ú!
must be Åû÷¸ ¾Á¢ú.

¾Á¢¨Æ Å¡úòÐõ §À¡Ð ¾Á¢Æ¢ø À¢¨Æ Å¢¼¡¾¢ÕôÀÐ º¡Äî º¢Èó¾Ð.

[/tscii:16f6315b7a]

Oldposts
[tscii:f09110fb39]
Both points noted:

1)«Å¡¾É¢ ¸ƒý
2)ÅÇ÷¸ ¾Á¢ú

[/tscii:f09110fb39]

Oldposts
What did Kajan say in the last sentence in his post above?

Oldposts
by some reason, there is a mistake in my last posting.
i am using «Å¾¡É¢ not «Å¡¾É¢

Oldposts
[tscii:0289340bdf]þó¾¢Â º§¸¡¾Ã÷¸û «¨ÉÅÕìÌõ
þɢ ;ó¾¢Ã ¾¢É ¿øÅ¡úòиû!!

šƢ ¦ºó¾Á¢ú!
Å¡ú¸ ¿üÈÁ¢Æ÷!
šƢ À¡Ã¾ Á½¢ò¾¢Õ ¿¡Î!![/tscii:0289340bdf]

Oldposts
[tscii:1e1f259e02]
"þó¾¢Â º§¸¡¾Ã÷¸û "

Joe!!!
Your forgot the sahodharihal :)

anyhow, Happy Independence day to you.

[/tscii:1e1f259e02]

Oldposts
[tscii:403c55c64a]
º§¸¡¾Ãí¸û - commonly used for plural of male and female . May be Joe thought as common by the word 'º§¸¡¾Ã÷¸û'

Joe,
ÁÉì ¸É¢×¼ý ;ó¾¢Ã ¾¢É ¿øÅ¡úòи¨Çò ¦¾Ã¢Å¢òÐì ¦¸¡û¸¢§Èý.

[/tscii:403c55c64a]

Oldposts
[tscii:4b1bacc4ff]
"Joe,
ÁÉì ¸É¢×¼ý ;ó¾¢Ã ¾¢É ¿øÅ¡úòи¨Çò ¦¾Ã¢Å¢òÐì ¦¸¡û¸¢§Èý"

Kajan,

enakkilleyaa? :))

[/tscii:4b1bacc4ff]

Oldposts
[tscii:2425de1339]
Punnahai,

¾í¸ÙìÌ «øÄ¡¾¾¡ ? Á¢¸×õ §¾ºôÀüÚ ¯¨¼Â ¯í¸¨Ç ¿¡ý Ó¾§Ä Å¡úò¾¢Å¢ð§¼§É. ¾¡í¸û ܼ «¾üÌ ¿ýÈ¢¨ÂÔõ ¦¾Ã¢Å¢òÐÅ¢ðË÷¸§Ç .

I personally wished Joe because he does not visit those thread where I have wished all in common and also he is one of my friend earned through this forum .

Á£ñÎõ ±ÉÐ þɢ ;ó¾¢Ã ¾¢É ¿øÅ¡úòи¨Çò ¦¾Ã¢Å¢òÐì ¦¸¡û¸¢§Èý

¯ûÇ ¸Å¢¨¾¸¨Ç Å¡º¢ì¸/§¸ð¸ì ÜÊ¡¾¡¸ ¯ûǾ¡ ?

[/tscii:2425de1339]

Oldposts
[tscii:01fdedb3e9]
Punnahai,

I already wished u at some other thread , and realised Joe does not visit that thread. that was why I wished Joe here.

Á£ñÎõ þɢ ;ó¾¢Ã ¾¢É ¿øÅ¡úòи¨Çò ¦¾Ã¢Å¢òÐì ¦¸¡û¸¢§Èý

Meantime I want to ask u something,
Can u read or hear those kavithais ( separate link from meraana for kavithai ) in mereena.com . I am unable to do so.

[/tscii:01fdedb3e9]

Oldposts
kajan,
endha kavidhai?

Oldposts
Deat Punnahai,
Our friend Kajan replied you exactly how I would have replied.I realy ment both male and female,just like when we call our nation as 'She' ,it doen't mean only female.

thanks Kajan!

Oldposts
oops not deat,dear.

Oldposts
[tscii:1e8fda1993] Kajan,
It is not «Å¡¾É¢.It must be «Å¾¡É¢.
ºÃ¢Â¡?[/tscii:1e8fda1993]

Oldposts
again oops..kajan!sorry,I haven't noticed your correction.

Oldposts
joe, kalyanam ayiruchaa?

deet is good for health in mosquito prone areas :))

Oldposts
[tscii:bb488fee4c]
Sorry for double posting. I thought first one got interrupted. but it was not.

Punnahai,
>endha kavidhai? >

http://www.merina.com/

click Kavithai Kulungal..

we will get
http://www.merina.com/KK.asp
there we will get list of kavithaikaL.

once we click one of those kavithais ( say aemaatRam - ²Á¡üÈõ) , there will be a new window for window media player .

but in the window it says,
Error# C00D1197

Cannot play the specified file
Have u tried this kavithi kulungkaL ?

My friend also fets the problem.

[/tscii:bb488fee4c]

Oldposts
fets ... read as gets

Oldposts
[tscii:4e6859028a]
I too making lot of mistakes,

not kavithi kulungkaL kavithi kelungkaL

ÌÆôÀí¸Ù¼ý
¸ƒý

[/tscii:4e6859028a]

Oldposts
kajan,
avadhani enraal enna?

I too am not able to listen to the kavithai. I will write to them and ask, but we can always listen to yEmAtrAthE yEmArAthE from musicindiaonline.com :)) .

Oldposts
>kajan,
avadhani enraal enna? >

avadhaani from the word avadhaanam means observation.

everyone using the word observer , but I am using avathani just as identification ( there r lot of Kajans )

>but we can always listen to yEmAtrAthE yEmArAthE from musicindiaonline.com>
thank u for info ., I will try later

Oldposts
[tscii:4666ba184d]
· « ¬ þ ® ¯ ° ± ² ³ ´ µ ¶
ì ¸ ¸¡ ¸¢ ¸£ Ì Ü ¦¸ §¸ ¨¸ ¦¸¡ §¸¡ ¦¸ª
í ¹ ¹¡ ¹¢ ¹£ ™ › ¦¹ §¹ ¨¹ ¦¹¡ §¹¡ ¦¹ª
î º º¡ º¢ º£ Í Ý ¦º §º ¨º ¦º¡ §º¡ ¦ºª
ï » »¡ »¢ »£ š œ ¦» §» ¨» ¦»¡ §»¡ ¦»ª
ð ¼ ¼¡ Ê Ë Î Þ ¦¼ §¼ ¨¼ ¦¼¡ §¼¡ ¦¼ª
ñ ½ ½¡ ½¢ ½£ Ï ß ¦½ §½ ¨½ ¦½¡ §½¡ ¦½ª
ò ¾ ¾¡ ¾¢ ¾£ Ð à ¦¾ §¾ ¨¾ ¦¾¡ §¾¡ ¦¾ª
ó ¿ ¿¡ ¿¢ ¿£ Ñ á ¦¿ §¿ ¨¿ ¦¿¡ §¿¡ ¦¿ª
ô À À¡ À¢ À£ Ò â ¦À §À ¨À ¦À¡ §À¡ ¦Àª
õ Á Á¡ Á¢ Á£ Ó ã ¦Á §Á ¨Á ¦Á¡ §Á¡ ¦Áª
ö  ¡ ¢ £ Ô ä ¦Â §Â ¨Â ¦Â¡ §Â¡ ¦Âª
÷ à á â ã Õ å ¦Ã §Ã ¨Ã ¦Ã¡ §Ã¡ ¦Ãª
ø Ä Ä¡ Ä¢ Ä£ Ö æ ¦Ä §Ä ¨Ä ¦Ä¡ §Ä¡ ¦Äª
ù Å Å¡ Å¢ Å£ × ç ¦Å §Å ¨Å ¦Å¡ §Å¡ ¦Åª
ú Æ Æ¡ Æ¢ Æ£ Ø è ¦Æ §Æ ¨Æ ¦Æ¡ §Æ¡ ¦Æª
û Ç Ç¡ Ç¢ Ç£ Ù é ¦Ç §Ç ¨Ç ¦Ç¡ §Ç¡ ¦Çª
ü È È¡ È¢ È£ Ú ê ¦È §È ¨È ¦È¡ §È¡ ¦Èª
ý É É¡ É¢ É£ Û ë ¦É §É ¨É ¦É¡ §É¡ ¦Éª

ˆ ƒ ƒ¡ ƒ¢ ƒ£ ƒ¤ ƒ¥ ¦ƒ §ƒ ¨ƒ ¦ƒ¡ §ƒ¡ ¦ƒª
‰ „ „¡ „¢ „£ „¤ „¥ ¦„ §„ ¨„ ¦„¡ §„¡ ¦„ª
… … …¡ …¢ …£ …¤ …¥ ¦… §… ¨… ¦…¡ §…¡ ¦…ª
‹ † †¡ †¢ †£ †¤ †¥ ¦† §† ¨† ¦†¡ §†¡ ¦†ª
Œ ‡ ‡¡ ‡¢ ‡£ ‡¤ ‡¥ ¦‡ §‡ ¨‡ ¦‡¡ §‡¡ ¦‡ª ‚

[/tscii:4666ba184d]

Oldposts
nice try SN. BTW where is he now?? :-)

Oldposts
are there any new tools and fonts for creating tamil content. can anyone write about it or post weblinks on any new info.

thanks

Oldposts
There's another tool called "azhagi" which can be downloaded at azhagi.com at a cost of Indian rupees 500 or US$10. It's almost like e-kalappai but a bit more user friendly.

Oldposts
Additional info..
The person who has created this software is suffering from a serious and rare desease. He has created this software after being diagnosed with this particular illness. Subscribing for this software will definetely help him out in many ways. Thanks.

Oldposts
There is another 'converter' tool available for creating thamizh content using english. see this page :

http://www.jaffnalibrary.com/tools/Unicode.htm (http://www.jaffnalibrary.com/tools/Unicode.htm
)

Oldposts
There are other websites which help in converting one particuar thamizh font into another, TSC font pages into Unicode et al...

Have a look at this one :

http://www.suratha.com/reader.htm (http://www.suratha.com/reader.htm
)

Oldposts
Some friends are organising a seminar on Tamil Computing. This seminar will give full knowledge of installing Tamil softwares in computer and develop working knowledge of Tamil computing.

They will be distributing the following softwares to all the participants:

1. e-kalappai

2. Tamil open office - a full version of office package,

3. Paint software - to draw pictures,

4. Thamizha web browser- to browse internet etc.

5. Other software.

The course will be conducted by an Indian Lecturer, who is working in a local University.

Date : 18 April 2004 – Sunday
Time : 9.30 am – 4.30 pm
Location: Dewan Kuliah Utama, Fakulti Pendidikan, Universiti Malaya
Fee : RM50 ONLY (inclusive of course materials, lunch, two tea breaks with snacks)

To register, please contact Bavani(016-4893297)or Saravanan(016-3463995)

See you guys in MU.

Oldposts
//See you guys in MU.//

What about those gals? Where should they go?

Oldposts
Anyone interested in finding out How to READ webpages in thamizh script and how to POST content in thamizh - please go thru ALL pages of this thread.

If anyone had any queries please post them here - so that you can get help from me or a lot of other good friends here!

Thanks! :=)

Oldposts
Those who want to downloand and install "TSC_Avarangal" font may visit this website and download that file from under the heading
"TSCII 1.7"

http://www.ezilnila.com/ (http://www.ezilnila.com/
)

You can also download the thamizh free editor tool "ekalappai 1.0" from that website

================================================== ===

Other Recommended Tools / Softwares / Websites for
Tamil Unicode Usage

* Murasu Anjal - http://www.murasu.com

* Tamil Unicode Help Page - http://www.ezilnila.com/

* Puthuvai Tamil Writer - http://www.jaffnalibrary.com/tools/Unicode.htm

* Suratha Font Converter - http://www.jaffnalibrary.com/tools/tamilconverter.htm

* eKalappai 1.0 - http://www.tamil.net/newtamil/ekalappai_1.html

* eKalappai 2.0(beta) - http://www.developer.thamizha.com/ekalappai/

* LedLineIT 1.3 - ftp://ftp.sophists.com/Pub/LedLineIt/3.1-PreRelease

Oldposts
Mr.Parvaiyaalan,

>> From: paarvaiyaalan (@ 203.115.221.198) on: Thu Apr 8 22:51:28 EDT 2004

Some friends are organising a seminar on Tamil Computing. This seminar will give full knowledge of installing Tamil softwares in computer and develop working knowledge of Tamil computing. >>

Can you please post some details about that event. How did it go?

It would make us happy if more such worthy events are organized throughout the thamizh-speaking world.

:=)

Oldposts
You can now download TSC_Avarangal font and a thamizh transliteration tool(english to thamizh & vice versa) - from the yahoo group 'santhavasantham.

Just join the group and download these files from the files section of that group.

1 TSC_Avarangal font ('TSCAVA.ttf')

2. Tool to 'transliterate' all thamizh content to english and all english content to thamizh - "TAMIZ1.exe"

link :

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/santhavasantham/files/

Oldposts
Another reminder for e-kalappai link :

http://www.tamil.net/newtamil (http://www.tamil.net/newtamil
)

Oldposts
Help for Installing e-kalappai and configuring the browser - and also links to download e-kalappai, TSCII and Unicode fonts :

http://www.gbizg.com/Tamilfonts/ekalappai.htm (http://www.gbizg.com/Tamilfonts/ekalappai.htm
)

Help for using e-kalappai to write in thamizh in wordpad, MS-Word etc and also to configure outlook express and other e-mail programs to Read/Write thamizh scripts :

http://www.gbizg.com/tamil/Using_ekalappai.htm (http://www.gbizg.com/tamil/Using_ekalappai.htm
)

Oldposts
Folks!

Please start using the e-kalappai tool and/or Unicode tools - and post more content in thamizh in the forum.

If you have doubts please post here and there are a lot of great friends here who would help you out!

Oldposts
guys,

Please let us make more ppl. "literate" in using the tools for posting in thamizh here :=)
<a name="last"></a>

geno
29th October 2004, 02:19 AM
POSTING IN UNICODE THAMIZH SCRIPT:
===============================================

1. It's as easy as doing it in TSCII method

2. Get a new e-kalappai version - which has IN-BUILT Unicode keyboard mode - from here :

http://www.e-sangamam.com/freesoft/eKalappai/eKalappai.exe

It comes bundled with the unicode keyboard and also the tscii keyboard.

You can configure this e-kalappai to type both in TSCII format and UNICODE format.

The how's of typing thamizh words - using UNICODE format - is just like how you do with the TSCII format.

3. To configure this e-kalappai version follow these steps :

* After downloading & installing - run the software - right click on the tray icon - and you will find 4 Tabs :

1. Keyboards Tab
------------------------
Under this tab - check if you have thee 2 keyboards listed and checked :

i) TSCIIANJAL
ii) UNICODETAMIL

Make sure the checkbox has the 'select/ tick mark' associated with both of the above keyboards.

Select / click on - TSCIIANJAL - and in the same tab - you would find keyboard details frame. In that there will be Key option choice list box would be present.

Choose ALT and 2 - for TSCIIANJAL

Same way - select UNICODETAMIL keyboard from the keyborad list and choose - ALT and 3 for it.

2. Options tab
-------------------------
Select these check boxes :

* Keyboard hot keys toggle keyboard activation

* Simulate ALTGr with ctrl+Alt

* List keyboards in Control panel's "add or remove programs list"

* Turn on unicode supplementary character display

* turn on unknown language

Also on the top of this tab - There would be a "Keyman OFF Hotkey" which is nothing but the one to revert back to "English" mode from either "TSCII" mode or "UNICODE" mode.

Choose ALT and 1 for this option.

Leave the other 2 tabs Add-ins & Languages - untouched.

Choose "Ok" and save this configuration settings.

Now you are ready to use this new e-kalappai tool - to type either TSCII format text or UNICODE format text.

Typing in the response box using this new e-kalappai tool, in UNICODE mode is pretty easy and absolutely similar to how you type with TSCII format text, with same kind of keystrokes for thamizh words.

And whats more important - you can DIRECTLY type in the responsbe box in thamizh - in UNICODE mode - but as of now - to post TSCII text - you need to copy & paste that text from notepad.
:) :)
===============================================

To be able to READ posts made in UNICODE thamizh script :

1. You need a Unicode thamizh font like :

latha, theeneeunitx, aAvarangal, code 2001, tscuthamba, tscu_paranar etc - which can be downloaded from here :

http://nila.brinkster.net/software.htm
( see under thamizh unicode ezuthurukkaL)

Downloading & installing of any 1 Unicode font would do.

2. You need to set your browser's "View => encoding" to "UTF-8" - which enables viewing Unicode fonts.

geno
29th October 2004, 02:30 AM
There is an alternative method for making Uniocde posts in thamizh, offered by the forumhub itself!

http://www.forumhub.com/tamil/

Click on that link and you can find 2 text boxes onew below the other. If you type in english on the box on the top, it would be automatically converted into thamizh uniocode script in the box below.

You can copy & paste that thamizh script - in this "post reply" box here directly.

The important thing is - we DO NOT NEED any tags like the [ tscii] tage needed to post TSCII text. Unicode posts can be directly typed and/or posted from this 'post reply' box here.

And one more thing is that in future - Unicode might become prevalent standard and it might be useful if we start using this unicode format right now itself - so that in future - when we search for any of our particular posts - we can directly 'google' on that keyword in Unicode thamizh, which may not be possible for the TSCII text.

geno
4th November 2004, 02:48 AM
Folks,

It is imperative that we get used to posting in Unicode thamizh format too!

Searching google in THAMIZH texts(scripts) - would fetch ONLY those pages/content - which were created / written using Unicode thamizh.

So if you plan to retrieve your posts in future, you better be prepared to learn to use unicode too apart from the usual TSCII format thamizh posts 8)

geno
14th March 2005, 01:25 AM
Reading and Posting Thamizh Scripts - in our hub.

I'm now condensing the information from the Previous posts made in this thread, and posting a DETAILED step by step guide to Reading and Posting Thamizh Scripts in our hub.

================================================== ===================

There is an exciting tool which enables us, hassle-free, to write in thamizh script - called 'e-kalappai'. The 'e-kalappai' tool let's you to directly 'type' in thamizh scripts in the reply box. We can use this to post both TSCII and Unicode thamizh texts.

All you need to do is:

Download the tool from one of these locations:

* http://www.e-sangamam.com/freesoft/eKalappai/eKalappai.exe
(comes bundled with Unicode keymap)

* http://nila.brinkster.net/software.htm
(both e-kalappai 1.0 & 2.0 available here)

* http://www.tamil.net/newtamil/software/eKalappai.exe

IF you have "e-kalappai" installed in your system - you need not download TSC fonts separately.

STEP-1:

To READ TSCII Thamizh text:

* We need a TSC based font. The most popular one is TSC_Avarangal.

* It can be downloaded from here for free:

(see at the bottom of that page for TSC fonts)

After Download & Install of this font - you would be able to read TSCII thamizh texts properly.

(Note that if you have installed e-kalappai tool in your system you NEED not download this font separately - it automatically does that)

* Now go to STEP-2

To READ Unicode Thamizh text:

* We need a unicode based thamizh font. You can choose one from :

latha, theeneeunitx, aAvarangal, code 2001, tscuthamba, tscu_paranar etc - which can be downloaded from here :

( see under thamizh unicode ezuthurukkaL )

* Downloading & installing of ANY 1 of those Unicode fonts would do.

* Now go to STEP-2

STEP-2: CONFIGURING the Browser

If your browser is IE, try this :

* In the Browser menubar -click on 'View' and under it - click on 'Encoding' - choose "Auto-select"

* Select 'Auto-select' and then 'Refresh' the page.

Configuring the browser for TSCII text:

* In your IE browser :

a) Choose 'Tools' from menubar.

b) Click Tools-->Internet Options--> Fonts-->

c) Choose "User Defined" in Language Script list-box of options.

e) From that - choose the "TSC_Avarangal" for Web Page font list-box

f) Choose "TSC_Avarangaltxt" - for Text-based fontl ist box

g) Now Click Ok twice.

Configuring the browser for Unicode thamizh text:

a) Choose 'Tools' from menubar.

b) Click Tools-->Internet Options--> Fonts-->

c) Choose "Unicode" in Language Script list-box of options.

d) Now in the section below that - You'd find 2 different listbox of fonts(Webpage font, text-based font)

e) From that - click & select the Unicode thamizh font which is listed in Web page font - (usually Latha in Windows XP machines)

f) Choose "TSC_Avarangaltxt" - for Text-based font list box

g) Now Click Ok twice.

* You should now be able to read pages where TSC fonts and/or Unicode are used. Your settings in the Browser are the ones which will determine if you can read Tamil directly or not.

Note :

* If your O/S is WIN-XP you would have the "Latha" unicode font bundled & pre-installed in the system. So you wont have to download any Unicode thamizh font if you have WIN-XP

* And you can Install the "Indic languages" software componenents which will install TSCII compatible fonts in your system - by doing this :

=> Control Panel -> Regional and Language Options -> Languages Tab.

=> There just click on the check box for "Instal files for Complex scripots and right-to-left languages"

If you have the WIN-XP Install CD you can install this feature.

* Now go to STEP-3

================================================== =====================

STEP-3: To Post in Thamizh text:

We can post in Thamizh script in 2 different modes:

1) TSCII based Thamizh text
2) Unicode based Thamizh text

* After downloading and installing "e-kalappai" tool, re-start your system, so that the system's registry gets updated. (re-boot recommended for WIN 98, other O/S may not require re-boot)

* Configure your browser (as recommended in STEP-2 above)

* Start the e-kalappai tool and run it in background. A tray icon appears in the system tray

* Right-click on the tray icon and select "Keyman Configuration" - you will find 4 Tabs :

* Click on the Options Tab and do the folowing :

Select these check boxes :

* Keyboard hot keys toggle keyboard activation

* Simulate ALTGr with ctrl+Alt

* List keyboards in Control panel’s "add or remove programs list"

* Turn on unicode supplementary character display

* turn on unknown language

* Also on the top of this tab - There would be a "Keyman OFF Hotkey" which is nothing but the one to revert back to "English" mode from either "TSCII" mode or "UNICODE" mode.

Choose ALT and 1 for this option. ( this is for reverting to typing in normal english mode)

Leave the other 2 tabs Add-ins & Languages - untouched.

Choose "Ok" and save this configuration settings.

Voila!!! Now you are ready to use this new e-kalappai tool - to type either TSCII format text or UNICODE format text!

Press ALt + 2 => for writing in TSCII thamizh scripts

Press ALT + 3 => for writing in Unicode thamizh scripts

Press ALT + 1 => to revert back to Normal english typing

simple!!! :D

================================================== ====================

Alternative method for Making posts in Unicode thamizh script (without e-kalappai tool):

There is an alternative method for making Uniocde posts in thamizh, offered by the forumhub itself!

http://www.forumhub.com/tamil

Click on that link and you can find 2 text boxes onew below the other. If you type in english on the box on the top, it would be automatically converted into thamizh uniocode script in the box below.

Post script:

Help regarding what english letters constitute in forming a thamizh word that you intend to type :

[tscii:f1434f7ee3]
English (¬í¸¢Ä ¯ûÇ£Î) =====> ¾Á¢ú ¦ÅǢ£Π(Thamizh script)

ammA / ammaa =========> «õÁ¡
Atu / aatu=========> ¬Î
ilai=========> þ¨Ä
I / ii=========> ®
utukkai=========> ¯Î쨸
Unjcal / uunjcal=========> °ïºø
eRumpu=========> ±ÚõÒ
ENi / eeNi=========> ²½¢
ainthu=========> ³óÐ
ottakam=========> ´ð¼¸õ
Otam / ootam=========> µ¼õ