PDA

View Full Version : Hubber's contributions - Recipes & Tips

dev
6th November 2005, 09:56 AM
Hi all,

This is a thread to post any tried & tested/favourite recipes/tips that U all might have... Instead of opening new thread/posting in other threads for posting our fav recipe, let us put it here so that it remains consolidated... Would be easier to brose thru as well...:)

Thattai
7th November 2005, 09:55 AM
Hi Tomato,

For the avarakkai poriyal:

Heat oil. Add rai, urad dal, curry leaves and 1 large onion, chopped med-fine. Saute for a while till soft. Add 2 med-small tomatoes, chopped. Saute for couple of mins. Add 1/2 kg chopped avarakkai, salt and haldi. Stir well. Sprinkle water, cover and cook till 3/4th done. Add either sambhar powder or curry powder to taste. Stir well. Sprinkle more water if necessary. Cover and cook till done.

This same method can be used for making brinjal & drumstick poriyal, only brinjal poriyal, or boiled potatoes & peas poriyal (in this case, add some ginger-garlic paste and reduce tomato).

If making brinjal variations, you can even mix with rice and eat, if there is sufficient masala.

Hope this helps.

Thattai

rajshank
8th November 2005, 12:51 AM
Tamarind Chutney for Chaat items (in just 2 minutes)

This simple recipe is especially for people in the US. This is the easiest way of getting delicious tamarind chutney in just 2 minutes...I have tried it several times and it tastes just like the traditional recipe...

1 cup tamarind paste (available at Indian or oriental stores)
1 cup apple butter (available in the Syrup or Peanut Butter ailes in Walmart)
1 tsp jeera powder
1 tsp red chilly powder
1 tsp crushed saunf (aniseed)

Mix all the above ingredients and Tamarind chutney is ready!!!

The only difference is that in the traditional recipe, we used dates for the sweet part and tamarind pulp for the sour taste, which gives the mixed sweet n sour tangy taste. This recipe used apple butter for the sweet taste and tamarind for sour.

Apple butter looks brown in colour. Do not buy apple sauce. It is different from apple butter.

Hope u like this recipe. Do post replies if u have any queries on this....

Rajshank

kritica
8th November 2005, 08:51 PM
Hi Rajshank,
I was wondering if you k now how to make the green chutney they put in sandwitches.... well i have my own version of it.. but the problem is that it doesnto taste the same.... i would be greatful if u could let me know....if u know or not.. thanks
Kritica

rajshank
11th November 2005, 02:58 AM
Hi Kritica,
I have the same problem...though i make it on a regular basis, i cannot match the taste of the chutney sandwiches that my Mom makes...i guess, its all in the hands of the person making it....Let me share my recipe of the chutney...Hope this helps u...

Chutney Sandwich

For Chutney
1 bunch coriander cleaned
3-4 small green chillies (lesser if they are too long)
(u can also use the jalapeno or serrano peppers,we get in the US)
1 pod garlic
1 coin sized piece of tamarind
handful of peanuts (dry roast them in medium flame for 2-3 minutes)
4-5 mint leaves (optional)

Grind the above ingredients into a smooth paste, with little water. If u make it too watery, the sandwich will become very soggy.

For sandwich

Plain bread
butter or cream cheese spread
tomato (thinly sliced)
cucumber ((thinly sliced)
onions (thinly sliced)

Trim the edges of the bread. Slightly melt (10 seconds in the microwave) little butter and apply on one slice of the bread. U can also use cream cheese spread instead of butter. On another slice, spread the chutney evenly. Arrange the thin slices of cucumber, tomato & onion between both the slices.

Ur chutney sandwich is ready. Yummmmmy :P

kritica
12th November 2005, 04:10 AM
Hi Rajshank,
Thanks for your recipe
i will try and let u know......its very similar to mine except i dont add any peanuts.. i will try with the peanuts...
thanks
kritica

kritica
13th November 2005, 12:11 AM
Carrot parupusuli

ingredients
carrot 3 cups
thuvar dal 1/2cup
chana dala 1/2 cup
jeera 1tsp
salt to taste
red chillies 2-3
oil 2tsp
mutard 1tsp
urad dal 1tsp

method
Soak the dals together for about 1 hour. grind the dals along with redchillies and jeera coarsely. Now take the mixture and steam it in pressure cooker or in microwave. I generally use microwave. Take the mixuture and put in the microwave.. cook it for 1 minute.. then take it out and mix it with a spoon.... repeat the process until the dal is completely cooked. Allow it to cool.
In a kadai take the oil, do the general tempering with mustard and urad dal... then add the carrot and cook it with the salt necessary. Now once carrot is cooked... lower the heat... Take the cooked mixture of dal and crumble it with hand make sure they are no lumps.... if you have cooked properly then they will crumble easyly. Now add this crumble to the carrot and mix it well. switch of the gas, carrot parupusuli is ready to eat.

You could do the same for cabbage where cabbage should be crated, beans cut into small pieces.....

I hope you like the dish
chao
Kritica

kritica
13th November 2005, 12:13 AM
hello all,
did u guys knwo that coirander can be dehydrated in microwave.. and u can make kothamalli powder....
kritica

Alan
13th November 2005, 01:38 PM
Paneer Fingers!

I didn't know what to do with the soypaneer I bought 2-3 days ago. So, I did this. Took some old bread, dampened it & powdered it with hand, added the powdered soy crumbs, corriander, masala powders & salt. Rolled it into finger-shaped tikkis & deep fried it! How's that for a bachelor's invention? Hehe!

RedPepper
14th November 2005, 12:48 AM
Sounds good. Did you mean coriander powder or cilantro, the coriander leaves? What other masala powders?

Paneer Fingers!

I didn't know what to do with the soypaneer I bought 2-3 days ago. So, I did this. Took some old bread, dampened it & powdered it with hand, added the powdered soy crumbs, corriander, masala powders & salt. Rolled it into finger-shaped tikkis & deep fried it! How's that for a bachelor's invention? Hehe!

Alan
14th November 2005, 08:38 AM
Corriander leaves, corriander powder, chilli powder, pepper & pav bhaji powder!

Suja Rajkumar
14th November 2005, 07:42 PM
[tscii:53f007208b]Hi all,
I am posting the recipe for bhagara baingan. This recipe was given to me by my friend's Mom, who is a native of Hyderabad. I have tried this recipe many times. It is a favorite among my family and friends. Try it out and let me know. This dish goes with any kind of briyani, pulao, white rice, or chappathis.

Suja

Ingredients
Brinjal 1-2lbs
Ginger-Garlic paste 2tsp
Green Chilies 6
Tomatoes 2
Jeera 2 tsp
Coconut 2 pieces
Rice 2tsp
Chili powder 2tsp
Methi 2tsp
Dhania Powder 3tsp
Till 1 ½ tsp
Salt To taste
Khus-khus 2 ½ tsp
Tamarind lemon size
Peanuts one handful
Garlic 2 flakes
Onion 2 large ones

Method
1.Slice brinjal into ¼ s, and slit the green chilies.
2.Roast jeera, rice, methi, till, khus-khus, peanuts, one onion, and garlic flakes. Cool and grind it into a paste.
3.Heat the oil and slowly sauté(or shallow fry) the brinjals and green chilies till they are half done. Remove and let it cool.
4.Add red chilies, mustard, to the same oil. Sauté sliced onions till golden brown.
5.Add ginger garlic paste, and sliced tomatoes. Fry for a while and add the ground masala. Add chili and dhania powder and add tamarind extract. Keep frying till the raw smell goes away. Let it thicken in slow fire.
6.Add ground coconut. Stir.
7.When it is almost done, add brinjal and green chilies, and gently stir.
8.Keep till well blended and remove. Add curry leaves and cilantro. Add a small piece of jaggery at the end.
[/tscii:53f007208b]

kritica
14th November 2005, 09:01 PM
Hi all,
does anyone of u know how to make dal dhokli.. i guess its a rajastani recipe.... my husband loves it.. and i dont know how to make it..
thanks in advace
Kritica

rajshank
15th November 2005, 12:25 AM
Hi Kritica,

Thanks for ur response...Hope u like the outcome!!!

Hey Alan,

Nice try...i'm sure ur future wife will feel very lucky... :wink:
Keep inventing yummy recipies!!!! :)

Rajshank

rajshank
15th November 2005, 12:49 AM
I am posting the recipe of Poha (or Aval) Vada, which is a super hit among my friends & family. This recipe is very simple because, it tastes very similar to Masala Vada, but it saves a lot of time because it involves NO soaking & grinding dal....

Another advantage is that using Poha keeps the vada crispy for a longer time...

It can make a quick snack, when u get unexpected guests...and am sure it will be a hit!!!

Crispy Poha Vada

Ingredients :
1 cup - Thin Poha (or Aval)
1 small onion - finely chopped
3 - Green Chillies finely chopped
1/2 tsp - Ginger finely shredded
1/2 tsp - Red chilly powder
1/2 tsp - freshly crushed fennel seeds (saunf ; also known as aniseed)
Salt to taste
Oil for deep frying

Method:
Soak the poha in water for 5 minutes and drain it. Mash the soaked poha with your hands in a bowl, till it becomes a batter like consistency. Do not add water at all. Add the rest of the ingredients to the vada batter.

Heat oil in a kadhai. Wet your hands, and make a small ball of the batter with only your fingers. Flatten it little with the thumb and put directly into hot oil. Fry till golden brown. Drain the excess oil in a paper napkin.

Serve hot with Chilli-Garlic Tomato sauce or Coriander chutney.

Questions, suggestions & comments welcome..
Rajshank

kritica
15th November 2005, 12:55 AM
Hi rajshank,
great it looks yummy... will try sometime this weekend and let u know....
well do u know how to make patra bhajia..plz post the recipe

chefvasu
15th November 2005, 01:08 AM
Here the receipe for Dal Dhokli.

I think, its a Gujarati recepe.

left over cooked Toover dal - 1 or 2 cups.
Oli for Tadka / vaghar - 2tbsp
Ajwain - 1 tsp
Red chilli powder - 1/2 tsp
Haldi - 1/4 tsp
Hing - 1/8 tsp

Masala for dal dhokli:

Salt to taste
Haldi - 1/2 tsp
Red chilli powder - 1 tsp
sugar or jaggari - 2tbsp
Dhania powder - 1 tsp
Tomoto - small cut
cilantro - 1/4 cup

For Dough:

Wheat flour - 1+1/2 cups
salt to taste
Haldi - 1/2 tsp
Red chilli powder - 1 tsp
Ajwain - 3/4 tsp
Oil - 1 tsp

Mix all dough ingredients together and add some water to make dough. For Dhokli, dough should be like Bhakhari dough. So, when you roll it, you don't need any flour.

Now, take a big pan - I use 4 quarts pan to make Dhokli.
Take oil, first add Ajwain. Do tadka with haldi, red chill powder and hing. Add left over Dal on it. We like more liquid in the Dhokli, so we put 3 to 4 times water of Dal.
Keep medium flame gas. Let it boil.
Same time, start rolling dhokli - again, its your choice - if you like thick dhokli or thin dhokli. Make a big round of bhakhari. Use all dough to make bhakhari. Will make 7 -8 bhakhari.
Now, start cutting bhakhari in a small square or diamond shape. and add cut piece in the dal. In between don't forget to mix dal and dhokli.
Add all dal dhokli masala and mix it well. Keep on medium flame, and let dhokli cook- about 10 to 15 minutes.
If you roll thick bhakhari, it will take little longer to get cook.
Enjoy!!!!!!!!!!

kritica
15th November 2005, 01:42 AM
thanks chefvasu
will try today and let u know

kritica
15th November 2005, 05:05 AM
Hi chefVasu,
I tried your recipe for dal dhokli.... it came out very well... its very simple.....and tasty... but the reason i asked this recipe was becoz my hubby likes dhal dhokli(atleast thats what i thought).... but he said he was talking about dal bhati.. not dhal dhokli...he ate it and liked it too.... i just got confused....anyways would you mind giving me the recipe for dhal bati...
thanks
Kritica

rajshank
15th November 2005, 06:00 AM
Hey Kritica,

I have only tasted patra bhajia...i don't know how to make it...besides if u live in the US, u will have a tough time finding the leaves for it. If i am guessing it right, it is a spicy mixture, rolled and steamed on a specific variety of leaf. Atleast thats what i'm talking about. I had it at a Gujrati friends place, sometime last month. Here in the US, she uses the leaves of the elephant root available at the oriental or mexican stores.

This is how it looks
http://www.planetearthdiversified.com/Elephant%20Ear%20Green.htm

Let me know if u want the recipe. I shall ask my friend and post it here.

Rajshank

Alan
15th November 2005, 08:18 AM
Hi Kritica,

Thanks for ur response...Hope u like the outcome!!!

Hey Alan,

Nice try...i'm sure ur future wife will feel very lucky... :wink:
Keep inventing yummy recipies!!!! :)

Rajshank

Awww! Thanks!

Alan
15th November 2005, 08:20 AM
[tscii:2a5ed1eb0d]Hi all,
I am posting the recipe for bhagara baingan. This recipe was given to me by my friend's Mom, who is a native of Hyderabad. I have tried this recipe many times. It is a favorite among my family and friends. Try it out and let me know. This dish goes with any kind of briyani, pulao, white rice, or chappathis.

Suja

Ingredients
Brinjal 1-2lbs
Ginger-Garlic paste 2tsp
Green Chilies 6
Tomatoes 2
Jeera 2 tsp
Coconut 2 pieces
Rice 2tsp
Chili powder 2tsp
Methi 2tsp
Dhania Powder 3tsp
Till 1 ½ tsp
Salt To taste
Khus-khus 2 ½ tsp
Tamarind lemon size
Peanuts one handful
Garlic 2 flakes
Onion 2 large ones

Method
1.Slice brinjal into ¼ s, and slit the green chilies.
2.Roast jeera, rice, methi, till, khus-khus, peanuts, one onion, and garlic flakes. Cool and grind it into a paste.
3.Heat the oil and slowly sauté(or shallow fry) the brinjals and green chilies till they are half done. Remove and let it cool.
4.Add red chilies, mustard, to the same oil. Sauté sliced onions till golden brown.
5.Add ginger garlic paste, and sliced tomatoes. Fry for a while and add the ground masala. Add chili and dhania powder and add tamarind extract. Keep frying till the raw smell goes away. Let it thicken in slow fire.
6.Add ground coconut. Stir.
7.When it is almost done, add brinjal and green chilies, and gently stir.
8.Keep till well blended and remove. Add curry leaves and cilantro. Add a small piece of jaggery at the end.
[/tscii:2a5ed1eb0d]

Thanks Suja, this is my all time FAVOURITE dish. I've tried this before but your recipe looks a lil different. So, I'll try this too.

chefvasu
15th November 2005, 10:13 PM
Its really funny. Dal Dhokli and Dal Baati.
Dal Dhokli is from Gujarat and Dal Baati is from Rajsthan.
Sorry, I don't have Dal Baati's receipe.
Thanks for reply.

kritica
16th November 2005, 07:03 PM
Hey Kritica,

I have only tasted patra bhajia...i don't know how to make it...besides if u live in the US, u will have a tough time finding the leaves for it. If i am guessing it right, it is a spicy mixture, rolled and steamed on a specific variety of leaf. Atleast thats what i'm talking about. I had it at a Gujrati friends place, sometime last month. Here in the US, she uses the leaves of the elephant root available at the oriental or mexican stores.

This is how it looks
http://www.planetearthdiversified.com/Elephant%20Ear%20Green.htm

Let me know if u want the recipe. I shall ask my friend and post it here.

Rajshank

Hi Rajshank
Yes thats exactly what i am asking for... i thought it was colcosia leaves..( sorry about the spelling).... well i think we get those leaves once in a while in indian stores.. if not i will check the oriental stores tooo.....Could you find out and post the recipe for me.....thanks
Kritica

kritica
16th November 2005, 07:05 PM
Its really funny. Dal Dhokli and Dal Baati.
Dal Dhokli is from Gujarat and Dal Baati is from Rajsthan.
Sorry, I don't have Dal Baati's receipe.
Thanks for reply.

Hi Chefvasu....
Yeah it was funny..... thats why i thought daldhokli is rajasthani.... i will try and find the recipe and mite even post it here if u wish...
thanks
Kritica

orange2005
4th December 2005, 03:54 AM
Dear Rajshank,

I want to try the tamarind chutney by the recipe that u have given.I had a doubt, do we have to cook this chutney on gas.Could you give some more tips on making this chutney.I have a party coming up so I would apreciate your help greatly.

rajshank
4th December 2005, 05:39 AM
Hi Orange,

U don't even have to go near the gas :P isn't that cool?!!
Just mix all the ingredients...and check the taste...u can add more of the seasonings (red chilly powder, jeera powder and saunf crushed) if u feel like....But since it is a party, i would suggest that u keep the spice level moderate, so that all your guests can enjoy!!!

Hope u have a great party...do let me know how it went :)

Enjoy!!!
Rajshank