PDA

View Full Version : Flood in Tamilnadu

swathy
5th December 2005, 02:50 PM
Almost every part of tamilnadu is affected by flood. hope all hubbers and their family is safe.

Last year tsunami This year flood. onnu varatchi illainna vellam

i believe farmers are worst affected

Lambretta
5th December 2005, 06:46 PM
Strange turn nature seems to be taking! Floods at this time of the year, long after monsoon.....!

malligai
6th December 2005, 12:05 AM
yeah, it is so worrying to see so much rain in TN..it is going to take a looong time for all that water to drain...

Recently i saw this documentary [children's :) ] about how the age of Dinosaurs came to an end, and man survived the catastrophe...According to the documentary, several million years ago when the dinosaurs ruled, it rained and rained heavily for several days and weeks non-stop, that most of the land went into the ocean...and it was dark everywhere..many of the land animals could not survive this, including the dinosaurs...

but most of the sea animals and just a few land species survived this calamity...there was this squirell like creature[i forgot its name :roll: ] which hid in deep burrows...it waited for days until the rains stopped and the sun was out...and the docu ends saying that man evolved from this creature..

i know there r lots of theories about this...but i saw the docu at the Smithsonian Natural History museum in Washington DC...so it could atleast be close to the truth...

the disaster by rains and water is occuring everywhere...and also with all that icebergs melting at such a fast pace, wonder where we r headed?? :? :(

Sanguine Sridhar
6th December 2005, 12:24 AM
Singara chennai was one of the most affected area after rain.Wonder what just for this 28 to 35 cms of rainfall Singara chennai was(is) suffering..i m just wondering what will happen to my nagaram if it is around 90cms like in Mumbai

malligai
6th December 2005, 12:29 AM
..i m just wondering what will happen to my nagaram if it is around 90cms like in Mumbai

my nagaramaa??..helOO..it is our nagaram too.. :)

Sanguine Sridhar
6th December 2005, 12:37 AM
..i m just wondering what will happen to my nagaram if it is around 90cms like in Mumbai

my nagaramaa??..helOO..it is our nagaram too.. :)
Oh is it :D are u safe... :? or swimming :lol:

malligai
6th December 2005, 12:52 AM
it is 'kind' of my nagaram...but actually not my nagaram.. :D

and i dont live there anyways.. :?

Sanguine Sridhar
6th December 2005, 01:05 AM
it is 'kind' of my nagaram...but actually not my nagaram.. :D

and i dont live there anyways.. :?
okay understood :) :roll:

swathy
6th December 2005, 10:01 AM
actually I have a doubt. sillya irundha pls don't tease me yaar.

Now almost all the dams are filled and lot of water in the city also. Can this water be saved and used in the future?

Sandeep
6th December 2005, 11:13 AM
Yes it can be but for that more reservoirs need to be build. Even creating small ponds in large numbers will help. If every village decide to create a pond in their village just imaging the volume of water that will presevered in the whole of the state. Now there are many reasons not to have too many dams but sure Bunds and diverted reserviors are great alternatives. Hope people will wake up to the oppurtuinities instead of fighting in summer.

swathy
6th December 2005, 11:58 AM
Thanks sandeep.

one more doubt.

I heard construction of more dams will cause earthquake. is it true?

Can you pls tell me the advantages and disadvantages of Dams?

pavalamani pragasam
6th December 2005, 12:11 PM
The wisdom of our Tamil kings in building temples & "kulams"(ponds) is well understood now. Temples can be a good shelter during such recent storms. Tanjore temple has grain storage facility, I heard.

nilavupriyan
6th December 2005, 12:14 PM
Thanks sandeep.

one more doubt.

I heard construction of more dams will cause earthquake. is it true?

Can you pls tell me the advantages and disadvantages of Dams?

ethana mark question? :?

by the way....they say that there is a chance of tsunami in tamilnadu around the same date dec 26....is it true?

buddysathi
6th December 2005, 12:21 PM
[quote="nilavupriyan.they say that there is a chance of tsunami in tamilnadu around the same date dec 26....is it true?[/quote]

Etho ungala mudincha rumour.. Mmm kelappi vidungaa!!

swathy
6th December 2005, 12:33 PM
:D ARIVU THAAGAM

Sandeep
6th December 2005, 12:51 PM
[tscii:f559f04b02]It has not been scientifical proven that Dams cause earthquake since earthquake is caused by movement of tectonic plates while the effects of dams are superficial. But many believe the building of the Hoover Dam in the USA triggered a number of earth quakes and has depressed the earth’s surface at its location.

Advantages
1.Combination of inexpensive electricity and cheap water irrigation
2.Reduce greenhouse gas emissions by reducing fossil fuel burning
3.Domestic source of energy thus ensuring self sufficiency.
4.Store energy (in form of water)
5.Dams are designed to last many decades and so can contribute to the generation of electricity for many years / decades.
6.The lake that forms behind the dam can be used for water sports and leisure / pleasure activities. Often large dams become tourist attractions in their own right.

Disadvantages
1.Dams are extremely expensive to build and must be built to a very high standard. Hense takes decades to become profitable
2.Alter the current ecosystem and threaten the habitats of various endangered species.
3.People will be resettled, mostly tribal people who have little skills to survive the plains.
4.Quality of water is reduced by hydroelectric generation (like reduction in dissolved oxygen and increase in sedimentation)
5.Although modern planning and design of dams is good, in the past old dams have been known to be breached (the dam gives under the weight of water in the lake). This has led to deaths and flooding (More so in places prone to earth quake)
6.Dams block the progress of a river which means that the water supply from the same river in the following part of the country is reduced.
7.Dams alter water table (Aswan Dam in Egypt)

Madam please give me full marks :oops: [/tscii:f559f04b02]

Sandeep
6th December 2005, 12:57 PM
Because of these we should do for Bunds and diverted reservoirs. Also small scale reservoirs (ponds, lakes). But yes electricity generation doesnt happen using these options.

Sanjeevi
6th December 2005, 01:07 PM
This heavy rain and flood has given lesson a lot. We should take action for future. It is more important action after the temporary solution to be done right now.

swathy
6th December 2005, 03:05 PM
Sandeep Great!!!

Thank u very much.

Well I can give you full marks. hope u didn't copy :D

swathy
6th December 2005, 03:07 PM
I couldn't see any relief fund collection from medias.

nilavupriyan
6th December 2005, 03:21 PM

dont want....government will managa!

this is not a disaster...just an incovenience for people...thats it!

Lambretta
6th December 2005, 06:34 PM
Vizag had a similar flood this yr......luckily nothing in our area (Beach rd)....but many of the interior areas were submerged, including the airport!

Sanguine Sridhar
6th December 2005, 10:44 PM
actually I have a doubt. sillya irundha pls don't tease me yaar.

Now almost all the dams are filled and lot of water in the city also. Can this water be saved and used in the future?
If they executed the idea of Rain water harvesting about 3 decades ago..Chennai will be out of water scarcity.Even though groundwater water is available here in chennai in rural areas,salt content is very high.

swathy
7th December 2005, 11:03 AM
If they executed the idea of Rain water harvesting about 3 decades ago..Chennai will be out of water scarcity.Even though groundwater water is available here in chennai in rural areas,salt content is very high.

Atleast they should learn lesson now

malligai
7th December 2005, 10:05 PM

Swathy,

I wonder what happened to all the tsunami relief funds that was send from all over to our TN govt?..Hope atleast some of it reached the poor and needy.. :roll:

swathy
18th December 2005, 03:06 PM
Whats the current status in Tamilnadu?

Lambretta
21st December 2005, 09:13 AM
Whats the current status in Tamilnadu?
Well I hear tat Madras is having rains again! Which may be y its been cloudy even here in Vizag since y'day.......!

phil
7th January 2006, 07:17 AM
:lol: :lol:
Vivekanandhar ippo irundarunna he will get insulted seeing his image used for such kind of questions andthen he might cry.

Lambretta
7th January 2006, 09:20 AM
*DIGR*
Vivekanandhar ippo irundarunna he will get insulted seeing his image used for such kind of questions andthen he might cry.'hope they don't turn his image into sumthing like "sexiest saint/philosopher of India" or sumthing! :oops:
Indha kalathile andha mathiri edho nadakalaan-nu ippo bhayama irruku! :( :hammer:

phil
7th January 2006, 09:22 AM
*DIGR*
Vivekanandhar ippo irundarunna he will get insulted seeing his image used for such kind of questions andthen he might cry.'hope they don't turn his image into sumthing like "sexiest saint/philosopher of India" or sumthing! :oops: :hammer:ada scooter kooda peesudhe!!

Lambretta
7th January 2006, 09:24 AM
*DIGR again*
ada scooter kooda peesudhe!!
Yennai portha varikkum Lambretta verum oru "scooter" matrum illai! :wink: Tat'd be an understatement! :lol:

swathy
7th January 2006, 02:06 PM
*DIGR again*
ada scooter kooda peesudhe!!
Yennai portha varikkum Lambretta verum oru "scooter" matrum illai! :wink: Tat'd be an understatement! :lol:

different avatar. good :D

Lambretta
7th January 2006, 05:34 PM
Tks! :D I actually adore ur avtaar too....but its already taken! :wink: :D

krishnan
8th January 2006, 02:08 AM

Do you know that 9 out of 10 Auto-rickshaw's in Coimbatore are Lambys?

Source - http://www.coimbatorebest.com/cityresources/transportation/index.asp

Just thought of contributing to your next avatar (the auto pic in the above link) :D

phil
8th January 2006, 09:28 AM
Nice avatar Lamby. Everyone is jealous of your scooter :lol:
Couple of weeks before chennai was deluged by heavy rains. My house eventhough is in a elevated location still is a border of velachery and water came into the verandah it seems!!.
Poor drainage system should be main issue in this case.
I think one best idea for the chennai government is to eat 1/3 tax from its citizens as in the US where they chug the salaries of immigrants and use that money to construct nice drainage systems and infrastructure.

Lambretta
8th January 2006, 10:26 AM
*DIGR*
Do you know that 9 out of 10 Auto-rickshaw's in Coimbatore are Lambys?
Source - http://www.coimbatorebest.com/cityresources/transportation/index.asp
Wow! I didn't know tat! Tks for the link, very interesting! :D
Altho I hav of course seen (& travelled in) Lambretta Autos in my childhood; there were plenty of them in Delhi back in the '80s & also in Jodhpur (Raj.), I think tat place still has them......

Just thought of contributing to your next avatar (the auto pic in the above link) :D
Hmm......well, tats too small & not clear enuff for my avtaar image.....but tks neways! Also I didn't think much of these autos back then, when I rode in them......found them quite cramped & uncomfortable in fact! But I've always liked Lamby scooters! 'even hav a Vijai Super as daily transport! :D

Lambretta
8th January 2006, 10:33 AM
*DIGR again*
Nice avatar Lamby. Everyone is jealous of your scooter :lol:
Tks! If tats the case, glad to know tat! :wink: :lol:
Tats not my scooter tho! :D

Couple of weeks before chennai was deluged by heavy rains. My house eventhough is in a elevated location still is a border of velachery and water came into the verandah it seems!!.
We had a similar flood in hyd'bad 5 years ago.....I rem. when we were living in our old house there the water was knee deep & seeping onto the verandah floor (the road was unftly elevated a few feet from our house)......worse still, we had to turn on the tap in our backyard for drinking water supply in the mornings.....the tap/pipe was located below the ground & tat day it was a real pain to locate tat tap, wading thru the water.....found it when I tripped over the cement pavement enclosing the tap & fell into the muddy water! :(

Poor drainage system should be main issue in this case.
I think one best idea for the chennai government is to eat 1/3 tax from its citizens as in the US where they chug the salaries of immigrants and use that money to construct nice drainage systems and infrastructure.
Hmm.....I guess tats another reason y Indian immigrants r so welcome there now?

davie
10th January 2006, 06:11 AM
Dude, H1-B guys come under non-immigrant status!!.
If you are an immigrant then only the standard deduction is going to be in effect. I think i have deviated completely from the topic - Flood and i am going like a flood now.

Lambretta
10th January 2006, 10:08 AM
*Digr*
Dude, H1-B guys come under non-immigrant status!!.
True......but u wud of course know tat many take tat Visa only to end up there as wannabe immigrants.......I've heard abt even ppl. who've stayed there even after tat Visa'd expired & sumhow "managed" to get a Green card to be able to stay back in the US!

If you are an immigrant then only the standard deduction is going to be in effect.
True again.......'cos as an immigrant ur as good as a citizen so u obv. hav to be a taxpayer! :)

*Digr ended- I hope*

swathy
10th January 2006, 11:50 AM

:D Thank u