PDA

View Full Version : Mann Vaasanai

swathy
9th December 2005, 05:19 PM
I feel most of the hubbers are not residing in their hometown. But its sure memories of their hometown would not fade. Still we long to see many people,places.

It may be your college canteen, some theatre in your town, kuttai suvaru etc.

Amaidhiya mottaimaadila ukkandhu konjam ungaloda malarum ninaivugalai thatti vidara feelings kudukka than indha thread.

unga oorai pathi,

school/college daysla neenga senja settai,

unga friendoda lovekku help panna poi ......

ragging

some interesting incidents, people pathi inge share pannalame

Thiru
9th December 2005, 05:21 PM
swathy, idhu man vaasanai ya illai malarum ninaivugal-a??

swathy
9th December 2005, 05:23 PM
mann vaasanai kalandha malarum ninaivugal.

unga perai paarthavudane dindigulonnu ninachen

dev
9th December 2005, 05:28 PM
Hmmm... I yearn to go back to my college canteen to eat all those yummy south ndian food... In the 1st yr, our class was just next to the canteen... so we used to moappam pidichufy the aroma from the canteen... They used to serve real yummy thair vadai & sambar... Good buttermilk as well... pooris too were good... Almost everything was good...:)

Anoushka
9th December 2005, 05:44 PM
Hmmm... I yearn to go back to my college canteen to eat all those yummy south ndian food... In the 1st yr, our class was just next to the canteen... so we used to moappam pidichufy the aroma from the canteen... They used to serve real yummy thair vadai & sambar... Good buttermilk as well... pooris too were good... Almost everything was good...:)

College canteen-il yummy food-ah? You must be lucky :) enga college canteen-il milk order panninaal chlorine smell varum, poi kEtal solvargal - "enga kitta yenma sanda pOdureenga? Corporation kaaran thannila chlorine add panninaa naanga enna pannamudyium" endru :lol:

Etho varathil oru naal oru ghee rice paravaillama irukum, mukkal vasi naal naan saapitatu konjam pulicha thalicha thayir sadam + elumichangai oorukai thaan :)

Eppavavathu dOsai order panninaal kaal mani nEram aagum dOsai kondu vara, antha aari pOna dOsai konduvara ivvalavu nErama appadinu kEta, en friend solvaaL, namma Seenukum (athuthaan canteen guy) elikkum sandayam, eli jeyichaal no dOsai, eli thOthuduchuna, aaripOna eli kadicha dOsai unaku.... neeye decide pannikO dOsai venuma vendama appadinu.... :lol:

nilavupriyan
9th December 2005, 05:48 PM

:lol: :lol:

enga ooru dindigul pakkam than!...57 kilometers from dindigul!

dev
9th December 2005, 06:08 PM
Yes Anou... the hostel food used to be even yummier... They had a canteen especially for hostelites so that they can have their lunch at leisure... We used to bribe the hostelites with our lunch boxes & use their card to eat the hostel food... I have a long list of favourites from the hostel & cantee... But the queue in the canteen would be too much that one'll have to wait for nearly 15-30 mins to place orders even...:(

dev
9th December 2005, 06:10 PM
And we had a small bakery near our college... They serve good cutlets with a tangy tamarind sauce... :)

Anoushka
9th December 2005, 06:50 PM
Interesting Dev, we used to finish the day scholars lunch boxes by first break time! and then drag everyone to the canteen to eat the boring food!

I used to bring sandwiches with butter and pickle and that used to attract a crowd as well!

We too had a bakery outside college where egg puffs and veg puffs were good :) A new bakery opened up when we were in third year and they used to have lovely pastry.... mmmm... now I think I have to go and have lunch!!! :)

RC
9th December 2005, 09:28 PM
And we had a small bakery near our college... They serve good cutlets with a tangy tamarind sauce... :)

college-ku pOi ozhunga padicheengaLO illayO nallaa saapturukkeenga-nu theiryudhu.. :)

dev
10th December 2005, 07:45 AM
:)).... Naan ponathe saapidathaan...

nilavupriyan
10th December 2005, 08:53 AM
:)).... Naan ponathe saapidathaan...

apparam en innum olliya irukeenga...kannu mattum perusakeedhu!

dev
10th December 2005, 01:31 PM
Haven't U visited the healthylifestyle thread yet?.... That'll tell U Y I am slim...:)

Shakthiprabha.
10th December 2005, 10:33 PM
So many incidents, ppl, memories. Each creating indelible mark in their own way.

In our early school days we had a small shop for MINI samosas. IT USED TO TASTE YUMMY. Imagine one small samosa costed only 25 paise!!! (size was really small though).

The taste used to be out of the world. Main fun was we RUNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN to the shop during recess to stuff our mouth with samosas and run back to our next session.

Once when we bought hand full of samosas (we woudl take turns to treat our freinds, Each one should treat others one day in a week) it was alreawdy late, and we had to run back to our class. Next class was our ms.grace's science lecture!!! Not to get any disgrace from miss grace, I RAN like PT. USHA(that day was my turn to buy samosa), only to FALL DOWN near the slide in the park.

I wanted to cry and stop my friends, (EACH RUNNING IN THEIR OWN SPEED, MOUTH STUFFED WITH SAMOSAS) but I could not, as my mouth is full with samosa. The pain was excrutiating, finally i managed to call some girl near by and made a sign to my friends to stop.

All 5 of them, COULD NOT TALK, I could not talk too. My face was twisted with signs of pain AND ALL idiotic FRIENS WERE LAUGHING LIKE MAD looking at the posture I was in. (Mouth sealed with samosa, hands up, legs twisted, face pained, and NOT EVEN YELLING!!!)

Finally after eating samosas they managed to lift me up amidst roars of laughter :cry: :evil:.

I had a fracture in my right hand. Anyway, I celebrated the next week WITHOUT WRITING MY MIDTERM EXAMS :lol:

Anoushka
10th December 2005, 11:12 PM
I think this thread is turning from mann vaasanai to saapatu vaasanai :lol:

Shakthiprabha.
10th December 2005, 11:13 PM
:lol: anou.

Lambretta
11th December 2005, 11:26 AM
In our early school days we had a small shop for MINI samosas. IT USED TO TASTE YUMMY. Imagine one small samosa costed only 25 paise!!! (size was really small though).
Oh, were they onion-filled?? :) They r very popular in Hyd........I rem. the small canteen in our school compound (b4 it was turned into a stationery shop!) used to sell these......at tat time they cost 1. Re each.......they r like, triangular, rather flat & easier to bite, unlike the traditional "aloo" samosas & deep fried......u can still get them at small shops/canteens......

I had a fracture in my right hand. Anyway, I celebrated the next week WITHOUT WRITING MY MIDTERM EXAMS
Ouch! But as quoted in one of Shakespeare's plays, sweet r the uses of adversity....?
Btw, did u hav to wear a plaster cast then & maybe hav ur friens sign their names on it or sumthing? :)
My parents told me tat my sis. once got hurt when she was like 6-7 yrs old & she pretended to think it was a fracture, despite the X-ray confirming it wasn't & insisted on getting a plaster cast on her arm, even scolded the doctor for not getting her one.......bcos one of her friens at school got one when she had a fracture & had to wear a plaster.......her friens had signed "get well" mesgs. all over it so my sis was really taken w/ the cast & she jus wanted to wear one too! :lol:

dev
11th December 2005, 01:40 PM
WOW!!!...onion samosas.... we used to get 3 for a rupee... onion samosas used to taste better than potato samosas...:)

swathy
11th December 2005, 01:57 PM

College canteen-il yummy food-ah? You must be lucky :) enga college canteen-il milk order panninaal chlorine smell varum, poi kEtal solvargal - "enga kitta yenma sanda pOdureenga? Corporation kaaran thannila chlorine add panninaa naanga enna pannamudyium" endru :lol:

Etho varathil oru naal oru ghee rice paravaillama irukum, mukkal vasi naal naan saapitatu konjam pulicha thalicha thayir sadam + elumichangai oorukai thaan :)

Eppavavathu dOsai order panninaal kaal mani nEram aagum dOsai kondu vara, antha aari pOna dOsai konduvara ivvalavu nErama appadinu kEta, en friend solvaaL, namma Seenukum (athuthaan canteen guy) elikkum sandayam, eli jeyichaal no dOsai, eli thOthuduchuna, aaripOna eli kadicha dOsai unaku.... neeye decide pannikO dOsai venuma vendama appadinu.... :lol:

ennadhu idhu chinna pillai thanama irukku

yedho

oru malai ilaveyil neramnnu suvaiya kadhai varumnnu ninacha

oorugai, mor sorunnunnu

intercollegiate, tour , illai interesting insults jollya sollunga.pls come out of your canteen

dev
11th December 2005, 02:24 PM
college-la miga mukkiyamana idam canteen... that's where many would spend most of their time ... So, canteen needs to be given a spl place in this thread...;) :)...

Just kidding... Sry if I have digressed...

swathy
12th December 2005, 09:57 AM
ok ok carry on :D

Shakthiprabha.
12th December 2005, 11:55 AM
yeah lambretta and dev.

Its onion samosa only. Triangular in shape and 4 for 1 rupee ws the price. :grin:

Shakthiprabha.
12th December 2005, 11:56 AM
I had been to trips and intercoll competitions too.

ALL THT LATER

HEHEHE

mail2vijayan
12th December 2005, 03:06 PM
hi.,
this is vijay from banglore..
is this a close group of friends or open chat..
can i join in this chat..

---
Vijayan

swathy
12th December 2005, 04:14 PM
welcome vijayan

u can join here .

please read the first message of this thread and post if u have any interesting incidents to share with us.

Anoushka
12th December 2005, 07:01 PM
ennadhu idhu chinna pillai thanama irukku

yedho

oru malai ilaveyil neramnnu suvaiya kadhai varumnnu ninacha

oorugai, mor sorunnunnu

intercollegiate, tour , illai interesting insults jollya sollunga.pls come out of your canteen

Ah Swathy :) college life-il most important things were canteen and food :)

Anyway, I can write a huge book on my college days and the good and bad times we had!

The only day I cried during my college days was when I had done my lab exams in third year and I knew I was going to fail because I hadn't produced results. I knew my code was correct but the microprocessor kit was not working! Any amount of convincing my prof that it wasn't my mistake did not work... she said that she had to fail me if I did not produce results!

Anway walked out of college with tears in my eyes, met my usual crowd of friends in the bakery (I told you Swathy, food and food related stuff played a major part in college :lol:) and told them all about it .... they got something to eat for me and sent me off to my room to study for the next exam!

Next day I did my second lab exam, was sure I would get 70 out of 75 and walked back happily... the lady who ran the bakery, who happened to be our friend as well saw me walking with a big hanky clearing my nose and told my friends that I went home crying again!

My friends woke me up in the middle of my sleep to find out why I was crying... I actually had a cold and I wasn't crying but they wouldn't listen... So I had to go and meet them and prove to them that I was happy...

I was very touched to see how caring my friends were :)

Anyway I passed the first exam and failed the second exam.... that is a different story alltoghter :lol:

swathy
12th December 2005, 07:11 PM
i think u people have mistaken i didnt ask only ur college life anything that hppd in ur home town. those things were just examples.

good to know that u had nice friends in college.

BTW where u completed ur studies? hope u wont mind in revealing ur college name

Anoushka
12th December 2005, 07:42 PM
Swathy: I finished from CIT, Coimbatore :)

Btw, I understood your question but then most of us left home soon after college and most of what we remember would be about school/college, right? :) I might be wrong!....

Shakthiprabha.
12th December 2005, 07:44 PM
ok ... this is not about coll or my home town. It does relate to the thread though.

dign

hey does anyone remember a poem..........which starts...

Long muddy path I remember....
blah blah blah I remember...
(something like old lady sitting in the chair) I remmeber....

So it goes. reminiscences of childhood days.
I think poet's name was thomas something....

anou do u remember? We had it in our 9th class though. Not sure if uve read)

This is about the death of our neighbourhood aunty. We had navrathri during which this aunty who had already payed visit to our house was passing by. (we call ppl in turns for all 9 days). I called her for haldi kumkum once again and kept questioning her about the lil baby in her tummy.

She was pregnant with the baby due to peep into the world anytime. After she went, I was asking my mom all weird questions about her big belly and about how unhappy I am on not having any brothers or sisters.

Two days after she came for haldi kumkum, my mom had gone out somewhere to return home lookin depressed and blue. On questioning she said, that aunty delivered a baby and died in the process of child birth.

I was SO THOROUGHLY SHAKEN, I cried hugging my mom and said "I DONT WANT ANY BROTHERS OR SISTERS... but JUST U"

I should say, that incident had a great impact on me, that even when I got married, the thought of delivery SCARED ME TO DEATH.

dev
12th December 2005, 07:45 PM
Anou, coimbatore!!!!!!!!...

Shakthiprabha.
12th December 2005, 08:18 PM
Ah! This was the poem I spoke about.

READ IT. IT has many hidden meanings. Many treasured moments. We can relate to it.

It Was Long Ago

I'll tell you, shall I, something I remember?
Something that still means a great deal to me.
It was long ago.

A dusty road in summer I remember,
A mountain, and an old house, and a tree
That stood, you know,

Behind the house. An old woman I remember
In a red shawl with a grey cat on her knee
Humming under a tree.

She seemed the oldest thing I can remember.
But then perhaps I was not more than three.
It was long ago.

I dragged on the dusty road, and I remember
How the old woman looked over the fence at me
And seemed to know

How it felt to be three, and called out, I remember
"Do you like bilberries and cream for tea?"
I went under the tree.

And while she hummed, and the cat purred, I remember
How she filled a saucer with berries and cream for me
So long ago.

Such berries and such cream as I remember
I never had seen before, and never see
Today, you know.

And that is almost all I can remember,
The house, the mountain, the gray cat on her knee,
Her red shawl, and the tree,

And the taste of the berries, the feel of the sun I remember,
And the smell of everything that used to be
So long ago,

Till the heat on the road outside again I remember
And how the long dusty road seemed to have for me
No end, you know.

That is the farthest thing I can remember.
It won't mean much to you. It does to me.
Then I grew up, you see.

-Eleanor Farjeon-

Everyline MEANS a great deal to me. Brings back my english maam's memory, my friends, my english classes,

and then the poet. The cat, the old woman, the cream the tea...

the LONG DUSTY ROAD... which we all travel, which we long to go back to the start.

The poem SOMEHOW creates a lump in my throat. Surprisingly its not a sad one!! yet.....

I cant help being emotional. :)

swathy
12th December 2005, 08:23 PM
nice poem shakthi. thanks and regarding that aunt. i dunno what to say. pathetic

swathy
12th December 2005, 08:25 PM

:lol: :lol:

enga ooru dindigul pakkam than!...57 kilometers from dindigul!

really?

appo madurai tamil pesuiveengala????

Anoushka
12th December 2005, 08:31 PM
Anou, coimbatore!!!!!!!!...

Why dev, neengalum Coimbatore-ah?

dev
12th December 2005, 08:52 PM
Yes, Anou... My native is cbe... :)

Do U know this lecturer by name Devaki in CIT?... I guess in EEE....

pavalamani pragasam
12th December 2005, 09:21 PM
My hubby is a CITian!!!

Anoushka
12th December 2005, 10:10 PM
That is interesting PP mam :) But I am sure he would have been there way before my time! My chittapa is also a CITan while my dad finished from GCT!

Dev: I do remember Devaki madam vaguely. But she never took any class for us so I wouldn't know much about her!

swathy
13th December 2005, 11:27 AM
i remember this incident happened when i was doing my tenth standard.

our city corporation planned to open 18 children's park at the time.

one among them was just opposite to my house.

Just one day before the inauguration they decorated with lot of color papers.

Many officers were standing there they were giving some instructions to the labors over there.

when i tried to cross them in my bicycle i dunno somehow color papers stuck into my cycle wheel. adhu theriyama naan cycle ottittu poga oru sidela katti irundha color papers ellam roadla following my cycle. if i have not stopped, almost ellame roadla than irukkum.

adhai paarthavudane avlo than damaal innikki nammala kolla poraanganne bayandhu poi (vitta aludhura stagela irundhen) mulichappo

odi vandhu (still now i remember odi vandhar) nadu roadla ukkandhu "bayapadadheyma onnum illai iru yeduthidalam " nnu porumaiya ellathaiyum yeduthu ennai anuppi vacharu

he is none other than

Madurai District Collector.

i dont remember his name.

maari maari sorry , thanksnnu sollittu vandhen .

Shakthiprabha.
13th December 2005, 01:53 PM
In such circumstances, most overwhelming emotion would be EMBARASSMENT more than fear. Every possible pair of eyes, would be enjoying the scene leaving us too conscious, to play our part well :lol:

(cheers to tht collector)