PDA

View Full Version : Egg Recipes

Alan
11th December 2005, 05:00 PM
I think an Egg Recipe Thread is a must have in our forumhub.

Please post your delicious Egg Recipes/tips to cook etc in this thread.

I have a doubt. Can you cook Egg in a microwave? Has anyone done this before? How long?

RedPepper
11th December 2005, 07:54 PM
[tscii:16a8c0c06a]If you try to microwave eggs in their shells, they will explode! My husband tried to reheat a boiled egg in the microwave; it exploded with loud noise and made a big mess.

You can poach eggs in a microwave. I have a microwave egg poacher that cooks up to 4 eggs at a time. I only used it once because I don’t like poached eggs. (I tried this egg poacher for making idlis in the microwave and it worked great. :) ) This is how it looks like: http://www.cutleryandmore.com/img/5449.jpg You need to pour a couple of teaspoons of water, then crack the egg into this dish and poke a few holes on the yolks before microwaving. I think you can use any microwave safe bowl to poach an egg. It takes very little time to cook an egg. I guess 1 to 2 minutes, then you need to let it stand for a few minutes to complete the cooking process. Don’t overcook them.

You can also scramble an egg in the microwave. In this case, you may need to stop the microwave and stir the egg a few times during the cooking time.
[/tscii:16a8c0c06a]

tomato
12th December 2005, 08:29 AM
Egg Ghee roast

Hard boil eggs, (for 12-15 min). Slice into two. I use a piece of sewing thread to cut it neatly, instead of a knife.
In a non-stick pan heat 1/2 to 1 tsp of ghee per egg. when it is hot, take the pan away from the flame. Put in salt, 1/4 to 1/2 tsp red chilli pow, and a squeeze of lemon juice. Mix. place the egg halves and coat the egg with the spice sauce. Return the pan to heat. let the egg heat thro. switch off the flame.
This I make as a side dish for dinner, when there is no spicy dish around.
Try it and let me know if u like it.

sailu
12th December 2005, 06:06 PM
I have never cooked eggs in the microwave.I have a tasty egg recipe for all egg lovers.

4 eggs
1/2 cup milk
one small onion finely chopped
2 green chillis finely chopped
salt
oil

For the Gravy:
Paste of one onion
Paste of one tomato
1/2 tsp ginger garlic paste
1/2 tsp chilli pwd
1/2 tsp dhania pwd
1/2 tsp jeera powder
1/2 tsp garam masala
1/2 tsp cumin seeds (jeera)
oil

Prepare the egg cubes:

Break 4 eggs in a big bowl and add the rest of the ingredients, whisk it well.
Grease a bowl and pour this mixture into it.
Heat 2 cups of water in the pressure cooker.
Place the egg mixture bowl in the cooker.
Pressure cook for 8 to 10 minutes (without pressure valve) to set the mixture.
Alternately, use a steamer to set the mixture.
Cool the set mixture slightly.
Cut steamed egg mixture into square cubes.
Shallow fry the pieces on a hot griddle and set aside.

To Make Gravy:

Heat the oil in a kadai. Add jeera and let it splutter and then add onion paste and fry till golden brown.
Add garlic and ginger paste and fry till oil seperates .
Add tomato paste and fry further till oil seperates.
Add the rest of the masalas, except garam masala.
Fry well and add 2 cups of water.
Let it come to a boil. Add garam masala.
Add the egg cubes to the gravy, let it come to a boil once more.
Garnish with chopped coriander leaves.

Tastes best with rotis/paranthas

Alan
14th December 2005, 08:22 AM
Thanks all! That sure looks yummy, sailu!

vizmaya
14th December 2005, 10:56 PM
hi

for egg recipe visit http://www.vizmaya.com/?p=166

vizmaya team

Alan
15th December 2005, 08:41 PM
Thanks, Red Pepper, Tomato & vizmaya!

Alan
19th January 2006, 09:03 AM
Hey! I tried frying the boiled eggs in a chickpea batter along with chilli , coriander, salt & pepper powders & sprinkled corriander leaves, its a great tea-time snack!

Anoushka
1st February 2006, 05:28 PM
Egg masala: Boil eggs and cut them into two and leave it aside.

In a pan, heat oil, add mustard and after it starts spluttering ad urad dal. Fry a bit till it gets brown and then add finely sliced onions and fry till transparent. To this add tomatoes and cook till the oil separates. Add chilli powder, turmeric powder and salt. Add the egg pieces now to the pan and top it with the gravy. Add chopped corriander and curry leaves on top and leave for 10-15mins and wait for the gravy to seep into the egg.... Serve with rice or Roti :)

cynthia_a02
3rd February 2006, 02:02 AM
hai alan,
don't try to boil eggs using microwave.my hubby tried and now our oven is not working.so we've to buy a new one.please don't try.it will explode.

kavikuil
3rd February 2006, 05:59 AM
You can try this Marathi style egg curry

http://towardsabettertomorrow.blogspot.com/2005/11/egg-curry.html

I picked up this recipe from Nupur, a great cook and it was wonderful.

I'm a new hubber here. So, I don't have any idea if it's ok to post a link. (If so, let me know, I'll just post the recipe crediting Nupur.)

Alan
8th February 2006, 04:45 PM
Egg masala: Boil eggs and cut them into two and leave it aside.

In a pan, heat oil, add mustard and after it starts spluttering ad urad dal. Fry a bit till it gets brown and then add finely sliced onions and fry till transparent. To this add tomatoes and cook till the oil separates. Add chilli powder, turmeric powder and salt. Add the egg pieces now to the pan and top it with the gravy. Add chopped corriander and curry leaves on top and leave for 10-15mins and wait for the gravy to seep into the egg.... Serve with rice or Roti :)

I tried this one- its so easy & tasty! Thanks, Anoushka!

Anoushka
9th February 2006, 03:39 PM
You are welcome Alan :) Will add more egg recpies soon :)

cynthia_a02
9th February 2006, 08:06 PM
hai anoushka,
i've tried ur egg reseipe yesterday.its very very nice.thanks a lot for posting such nice receipes.my husband likes egg very much.awaiting for ur egg receipes.thanks once again.bye.take care.

dev
10th February 2006, 10:21 AM
Here's an intersting egg recipe... baked egg in mushroom and tomato ragu

http://lululoveslondon.blogspot.com/2006/02/baked-egg-in-mushroom-and-tomato-ragu.html

Alan
10th February 2006, 09:42 PM
You are welcome Alan :) Will add more egg recpies soon :)

Thanks! Waiting for those!

Alan
10th February 2006, 09:55 PM
Thanks for the recipe, kavikuil & yes, it's perfectly ok to post a link.

RedPepper
12th March 2006, 03:42 AM
[tscii:3a9f5384a7]Here is something I made yesterday.

Egg curry

Onion – 1
Garlic – 3 cloves
Ginger - 1 small piece
Green chillies – 2 to 3
Tomato – 1 small
Coriander powder – 1 tsp
Chilli powder – ½ tsp
Turmeric – ¼ tsp
Garam masala – ¼ tsp
Coconut milk – 1 cup
Oil
Salt
Curry leaves
Eggs

Heat oil and sauté very finely chopped onion until they are golden color. Add crushed garlic, ginger and green chillies and cook for a few minutes. Add the masala powders and stir well. Now add the tomato, curry leaves, and salt. Cook until the tomatoes are soft. Add boiled eggs and turn off the flame. You may add one cup of coconut milk if you want more gravy. You may also garnish with chopped cilantro.

Pictures @ http://myworksh0p.blogspot.com/2006/03/egg-curry.html
[/tscii:3a9f5384a7]

Alan
12th March 2006, 12:53 PM
Are you using eggs with all this bird flu thing going on? I'm not sure I would want those for a loooooooong time.

RedPepper
12th March 2006, 09:29 PM
Are you using eggs with all this bird flu thing going on? I'm not sure I would want those for a loooooooong time.

What bird flu?? :lol:
Not here man!
My parents in India asked the same question.
We use chicken and eggs. So far, no problem.

Alan
14th March 2006, 08:14 PM
my parents and relatives are still wondering about Chicken or Mutton Biriyani for the wedding reception next month- Mutton seems to be the choice now because of this bird flu but is much costlier!

RedPepper
14th March 2006, 08:54 PM
[tscii:40ab2e468f]Mutton would be the best choice there for the non-veg people. With the bird flu stuff going on, you don’t want the guests to worry about the food you are serving.
Oh the big day is so close....... All the best again. :) [/tscii:40ab2e468f]

Alan
14th March 2006, 11:37 PM
Thanks Red Pepper! Exactly one month- Its on April 15th- I'll be flying to Faridkot on the 12th of April- There's a small function on the wedding eve(14th), then marriage & reception- gonna be hectic but happy days ahead!

kanya_kris
25th March 2006, 03:12 AM
EGG BAJJI

Egg 2
Gram flour 3 tbsp
Rice flour 1 tsp
Red chili powder 1/4 tsp
Asafoetida a pinch
Turmeric powder a pinch
Onion 1 (medium)
Coriander leaves chopped
Salt
Oil

Method:

Take a bowl - add gram flour, rice flour and mix it with salt, red chili powder, asafoetida, and turmeric powder..
Add chopped onion, coriander leaves and beaten egg to make into a loose paste. Mix well.
Pour this flour mixture little by little into the hot oil and deep fry until it becomes golden brown.

Serve it with cocconut chutney or Tomato ketchup...
:)

kanya_kris
25th March 2006, 03:17 AM
EGG PARATHA

Egg 3
Onion 1
Tomato 1
Green chili 2
Mustard seeds 1/2 tsp
Urad dal 1/2 tsp
Salt
Oil

Take a bowl and beat the egg and add salt. Keep it aside.
Shred the paratha into small uniform pieces.
Heat the pan with the oil and add mustard seeds, urad dal fry
until it becomes brown color then add chopped green chili and onion and fry until it becomes golden brown. Then add the chopped tomato and fry for a min. Now add shred paratha and salt and mix well. Fry for 5 min.
Add the beaten egg into the paratha and keep on stirring until it becomes dry in the medium heat.

Sprinkle with the pepper powder to add taste.

:)

sujathakannan
29th March 2006, 08:58 PM
Here is a Egg Gravy I make regularly. It goes well with rice and chappathi.

Egg Gravy

Hard Bolied Eggs - 4
Onion finely chopped - 2
Tomatoes chopped - 2
Garlic sliced - 5-6
Coconut - 1/4 cup
Chilli powder - 1 tsp or to taste
Mustard seeds 1/2 tsp
Urad dal 1/2 tsp
Fennel seeds - 1/4 tsp
Oil - 2 tbsp
Salt
Coriander leave

1.Mix coconut, chilli powder and popy seeeds with little water and grind it into a smooth paste.
2. Heat oil in a kadai. Fry mustard seeds, urad dal and fennel when oil gets hot.
3.Then add onions and garlic. Fry until onions are golden brown.
4.Then add tomatoes and fry.
5.Then add the ground paste and fry until the raw smell of chilli powder goes off. Then add some water and let the gravy boil for few minutes.
6. When the gravy reaches to a consistency you like, slit eggs in the middle and add to the gravy and boil for a little while.
7.Garnish with coriander leaves and serve hot.

Braandan
30th March 2006, 12:21 PM
When ground coconut is boiled for a few minutes (even for
a few minutes) won't the oil from coconut separate out? I
would recommend grinding the coconut separately and add the ground coconut at last and then stop the flame.

dev
30th March 2006, 01:10 PM
would recommend grinding the coconut separately and add the ground coconut at last and then stop the flame.

I don't think oil would come out so soon... We normally grind coconut for kzhulambus & kurmas along with the other ingredients & add it to the curry with the vegs& let cook until done... I have not noticed any oil oozing out or floating on the curry...

Shoba
30th March 2006, 04:49 PM

I don't think oil would come out so soon... We normally grind coconut for kzhulambus & kurmas along with the other ingredients & add it to the curry with the vegs& let cook until done... I have not noticed any oil oozing out or floating on the curry...

Dev,

Braandan is right. When ground coconut is boiled you will get oil. But to be able to "see" the oil, there should be a large amount of ground coconut which has to be boiled for hours on end. The oil which separates, has medicinal value in its pure form, and is used along with herbs and such, externally for pain relief and general healing.

It would be preferable if the arappu is added after the veggies or non veg items are almost cooked. A minute or two at the most should be the norm once arappu is added. The bad publicity which coconut and coconut products attract is usually when it is not used in the right way....

Regards,
Shoba

dev
30th March 2006, 11:01 PM
The bad publicity which coconut and coconut products attract is usually when it is not used in the right way....

Regards,
Shoba

:? ... pls throw some light on the right way to use coconut...

Reg adding coconut to curries, in our place it's added well before the vegs are cooked... So I too follow it that way whenever I add coconut(very rarely I use coconut though)... But I've seen some of my friends from kerala adding it only at the very end...

ayeshasadique
1st April 2006, 01:50 PM
hi ..iam ayesha from UAE.. iam from chennai but my daadi was from hyderabad.
this is a hyderabadi sweet dish....back home khoya and sugar are used. i use sweetened condensed milk.

EGG HALWA

eggs - 2 nos.
sweetened condensed milk - 1 tin
cashew paste - 1/2 cup
ghee - 1/4 cup
cardamom powder - 1/2 tsp
saffron strands - a pinch

beat the eggs; add all except ghee.
mix well.
heat ghee in a non stick pan; add the mixture and keep stirring continuously on low heat.
when done the ghee separates, and mixture no longer sticks to the pan.
garnish with fried cashews and raisin.

hope u like it

ayeshasadique
3rd April 2006, 03:39 PM
i really wonder why people are so hesitant to use coconut; i have been using coconut all my life, almost daily!!
please do visit this site...
http://www.coconut-info.com/

Anoushka
3rd April 2006, 04:08 PM
Alan, I have a .pdf with egg recipies, if you are interested send me a pm with your email id and I will mail it to you!

cynthia_a02
4th April 2006, 06:24 PM
hai anoushka,
i received it.thanks anoushka.

Anoushka
5th April 2006, 09:22 PM
Cynthia, just sent it.... please edit the above post and remove your email id! :)

vm
6th April 2006, 06:38 PM
Hi Anoushka,

Can u pl send me the egg pdf's
Thanks,

Vm

ssanjinika
20th April 2006, 09:01 PM
You can try this Marathi style egg curry

I'm a new hubber here. So, I don't have any idea if it's ok to post a link. (If so, let me know, I'll just post the recipe crediting Nupur.)

Tried out this recipie Kavikuil..and it came out awesome.Just made a few alterations to the recipie.
Instead of grinding all the onions and tomatoes,I ground half and added the other half to the curry.And instead of boiling the mixture in plain water,I boiled it in some tamarind water(chalk it up to being from the south :) )
The resulting curry was really really good.

ssanjinika
20th April 2006, 09:03 PM
Anou,I would love the pdf with the egg recipies too.I love eggs and more imp my hubby loves it a lot :P

ayeshasadique
13th June 2006, 12:37 AM
POTATO, CAPSICUM, SPINACH FRITTATA

eggs - 4
oil - 2 tbsp
boiled potatoes - 1, cut into slices
onion - 1 , sliced into rounds
capsicum - 1 in each colour, cut into thin rounds
spinach - a handful, chopped
coriander leaves - 2 tbsp
green chillis - 2 , chopped
salt, pepper

1. beat eggs with salt, pepper and coriander.
2. heat oil, add green chillis and onions, fry till colourless.
3. add potato and capsicum, fry for few minutes.
4. add the eggs and cook on low heat till set.
5. transfer into a baking tray and grill the egg with grated cheese sprinkled on top, till it becomes brown on top.
6. cut into triangles and serve.

its a filling breakfast. :)

ayeshasadique
13th June 2006, 12:43 AM
SCRAMBLED EGGS WITH SPRING ONIONS AND BROCCOLI

eggs - 4
salt , pepper
cream - 1 tbsp

whisk the above together

butter - 2 tbsp
broccoli - 1/2 cup, chopped
spring onions - 1/4 cup, chopped
green chilli - 1 or 2 , chopped

1. heat butter and saute the veggies.
2. add the beaten eggs and stir until cooked and set.

a variety of veggies can be added for scrambled eggs
mushrooms
capsicum
cauliflower
broccoli
spinach
tomatoes
onion
potatoes
olives
chives
almost any veggie u like :)

Alan
16th June 2006, 05:12 PM
[quote=kavikuil]You can try this Marathi style egg curry

Sounds yum! Looks Yum ! Gonna try it this weekend- Till then, we'll make do with dals! hehe! :D

ayeshasadique
23rd December 2006, 09:43 PM
SPANISH RICE OMELETTE

butter - 1 tbsp
garlic - 1 clove minced
onion - 1 chopped
capsicum - 1 small chopped
salt,pepper
cinnamon powder - 2 pinches
tomato paste - 1 tbsp
cooked rice - 3 tbsp
heat butter, saute the vegetables and then stir in other items. keep aside.

butter - 1 tsp
eggs - 4 beaten
milk - 4 tbsp
salt,pepper
grated cheese - 3 tbsp

heat butter and add the eggs beaten with milk and seasoning.
when about to set , spread the rice mixture and add the cheese on top. put in the oven till the cheese melts and browns.
serve, cut into wedges.

ayeshasadique
18th May 2008, 06:10 PM
BOILED EGGS WITH DUXELLE FILLING
(serve as appetisers)

hard boiled eggs - 4, slit into two lengthwise

duxelle filling:
onion - 1, chopped
fresh mushrooms - 4, chopped
parsley chopped - 1 tbsp
salt
pepper
saute all in a tbsp of butter

1. remove the cooked yolks and mix with the duxelle mixture, add a tbsp of white sauce; fill back into the egg whites.
2. top with grated cheese and grill till it melts.
3. serve as starters.

cepark
4th July 2010, 10:16 PM
aww so many egg receipies thy for share....

:clap:

chevy
10th January 2011, 09:22 PM
Alan, I have a .pdf with egg recipies, if you are interested send me a pm with your email id and I will mail it to you!
Since I am a pure vegetarian, I am not asking for me, I am asking for "someone else" who makes an exception to the vegetarianism for eggs at times :P

(Could you email me the PDF file)

okiogikurilu
2nd April 2014, 03:36 PM
hii...
i have no idea about cooking eggs in microwave ..