PDA

View Full Version : gasteric trouble for my baby - help plss...

sonumickey
14th December 2005, 06:25 AM
hi everyone

my baby is 3 months old. shez having a lots of gasteric trouble. i have heard babies gas doesn't smell bad. but its smelling for my baby. and shez feeling uneasy due to it. and she goes bathroom only once in 3 days. when we asked the doctor ,he's telling its fine.
but i can see my baby is not comfortable because of this.

can someone help me with this

urgent help needed.

thanxs in advance

gayathri

Thiru
14th December 2005, 07:03 AM
sonu,

http://www.babycenter.com/dilemma/baby/babyfeeding/1339274.html

here's an article on gas for babies... I suggest you go through this for some help. Also, some experiences might be unique and you dont need to start worrying after reading these experiences..
I would suggest mylicon gas relief for babies available in different stores here in US.. There should be something similar to that in other countries as well..

pavalamani pragasam
14th December 2005, 07:34 AM
sonumickey, first of all I want to know if you are breastfeeding the baby. If so remember to make your baby burp after each feed by putting her on your shoulder & lightly tapping or stroking her back. Next you take a pinch of asofoetida with water before retiring to bed. Going to bathroom for 3 days is ok. Give plain warm water to drink twice or thrice a day.

Chappani
14th December 2005, 04:15 PM
Dear ppmam,

I would like to know more on "taking a pinch of asofoetida with water before retiring to bed", please let me know...

Thanks

pavalamani pragasam
14th December 2005, 05:00 PM
What is there you dont understand? Asofoetida is stored in the kitchen shelf; open the bottle/box/container, take out a pinch, put it into your mouth, wash it down with water. It is a deflatulent. Adults can go for antacids like gelusil/digene.

RC
14th December 2005, 07:28 PM
I have seen my gradmother & my mother use Omathiravam. I think you can also get Omam from a country medicine store and boil it with water to make Omathiravam. Not sure if it was used for gasteric problems.

Thiru
14th December 2005, 08:07 PM
I have seen my gradmother & my mother use Omathiravam. I think you can also get Omam from a country medicine store and boil it with water to make Omathiravam. Not sure if it was used for gasteric problems.

RC, i think omam is used for anything w.r.t stomach... We got some omam water from India which we used on our son everytime he had a stomach upset and irregular stools.. That worked much better than the other english medicines..

sonumickey
15th December 2005, 08:23 PM
u said, u will give ommam to ur son. can u tell me in which age he is?and from which age u udes to give him. and how u used to give him ommam. can u tell me in detail.

thanxs in advance
gayathri

Thiru
15th December 2005, 08:41 PM
sonumickey, omam water is harmless.. We started giving it to our son when he was 8 months old but it can be given early as well.. Initially when he was young (3 months old) we used to give him gripe water when he had stomach problems.. Someone told us that gripe water is similar to omam water but omam water does not have any additives..

As RC had said, you can buy omam from a country medicine store or a grocery store and boil it in water and give the liquid in small quantities to the baby.. Omam is the best medicine for digestion in case of adults too..

Thiru
15th December 2005, 09:06 PM
Again, our son didnt have gastric troubles but he had upset stomach and omam water was good for that..

A couple of other country medicine practices that my mother-in-law did for my son

Dip a garlic piece in Castor oil and burn it lightly in candle heat... rub the garlic bit in a hard surface and spread the paste in the baby's lips..

OR

dip vasambu (u get this only in country medicine stores) in castor oil along with the garlic bit and burn it in candle heat a little bit
and rub it in a hard surface (like a sandal stone) and give it to the baby in little quantities..

The stools of the baby will be dark for the first two days but it will become normal after that..