PDA

View Full Version : dried varthals- how to use them?

shreya23
21st December 2005, 11:06 PM
hi
i have some dried brinjal,sundakkai, manthakali,kotuvarankai varthals but i do not know how to use them.tried deepfrying them like appalamms but they were bitter & hard :shock: so does anyone know the traditional way of using them with recipes?

gkals
22nd December 2005, 02:10 AM
hi shreya,

you can fry the varthals and add it to the vatha kulamboo.I will taste very yummy. brinjal varthal can be used when u prepare kara kulamboo.kothavarangai can be fried and used as side dish for rasam/curd rice.try it out.

kals

Mrs.Mano
22nd December 2005, 06:22 PM
Hello Shreya!
Use the above said vathals in the following way:
Kaththarikkai vathal:
This is used in vathal kuzhambu. Soak the vathal in hot water for 30 to 40 minutes before cooking. When the kuzhambu is simmering, wash twice ot thrice the saoked vathals in plenty of water and then add them in to the kuzhambu and allow them to cook for some minutes.
Koththavarangkai vaththal: This is used as a fried item like appalam. Fry them in moderate fire to a golden brown. Goes well with curd rice.
Manaththakkaali vathal&sundaikkai vathal:
You can add these to the vathal kuzhambu. When frying onions for the kuzhambu, add these and fry for a few minutes before adding other ingredients. Fry 1 tbsp of sundaikkai vathal wih 1 tsp of peppercorns in a tsp of ghee and powder them finely. Add this powder to any type of vathal kuzhambu at the finishing stage and allow the kuzhambu simmer for a few minutes. The kuzhambu will be delicious.
Other than these, sundaikkai and manaththakkaali vathals are used in making powders for some ailments like stomach pain, etc.

shreya23
30th December 2005, 07:26 PM
thanks a lot gkals & mrs mano for ur replies.seasons greetings to u both :D .btw mrs mano & gkals do u have any special vartha kozhumbu recipes to prepare this dried brinjal & powdered sundaikai & peppercorn pwds?
shreya