PDA

View Full Version : Non fat baking recipes please

gkals
22nd December 2005, 02:05 AM
Hi all,

I have a friend who said that her cousin cooks daily almost everything in the conventional oven.Like poriyal subji etc.She won't use oil and hence the food is healthy and also delicious it seems.Can anyone please tell me what all daily food recipes we can do in the oven.Also does anyone know how to prepare fish by baking it with no or little oil.Also i would like to know how to prepare baked beans.Please some one help me
Thanks
kalyani

a_gopinathan
22nd December 2005, 02:25 AM
kalyani,

i have tried baking salmon, tilapia, sardines etc in the oven. cut the fish into pieces, marinate it with usual fish masala and put these in a cookie sheet or a baking dish. i usually put a sheet of aluminium foil, spray the cooking spray on the foil and put the fish on it. i set the oven temp to 425 and it should be done in 30-40 mts depening on your oven. it"ll look exactly like fried fish and my husband didnt feel much taste difference.

You can do the same for chicken also.

Potatoes also will come out like french fries. i havent tried any other vegetables.

anju

riceandbeans
20th January 2006, 04:22 AM
One idea is to ask you friend's cousin for the recipes she uses and if you do get them please post here.

dev
20th January 2006, 07:48 AM
Here's the recipe for oven baked fries from http://www.onehotstove.blogspot.com/...

Oven-Baked Fries
Ingredients:
2 medium potatoes
1 tbsp vegetable oil
Salt and pepper to taste
Method:
1. Pre-heat oven to 425 degrees F.
2. Wash and scrub the potatoes. Cut into long wedges/fingers.
3. In a bowl, toss together the potatoes, oil, salt and pepper.
4. Spread the potato wedges in a single layer on a baking sheet sprayed with non-stick spray.
5. Bake for 20-25 minutes, stirring once or twice while baking, till wedges are crispy and golden.
Try these with other seasonings such as garlic powder, rosemary or chilli powder.

dev
21st January 2006, 06:37 PM
Herez thre recipe for roasted salmon (http://towardsabettertomorrow.blogspot.com/2006/01/no-fry-fried-fish-or-roasted-salmon.html)...

The blog has an appetising pic of the roasted fish as well...

gkals
21st January 2006, 07:53 PM
Hi,

Thanks dev,anju and rice&beans for your help.Actually my friend is not in touch with her cousin as they had some misunderstanding and hence my friend said that she cannot get recipes from her.Anyway thanks all for sharing your recipes.I already started to try it out.
Thanks
kals

dev
21st January 2006, 08:19 PM
Here's another recipe...No-fry Karela Crispies (http://towardsabettertomorrow.blogspot.com/2005/11/no-fry-karela-crispies.html)

kavikuil
8th February 2006, 10:36 PM
Dev, that's my blog. Am glad people recommend recipes from my blog! :D

dev
9th February 2006, 06:51 AM
Kavikuil,

That's great... I'm a regular visitor of ur blog... U've a good collection... keep going... :thumbsup:

RedPepper
9th February 2006, 07:30 PM
Dev, that's my blog. Am glad people recommend recipes from my blog! :D

kavikuil, you have a wonderul blog. Added to my favorites. I was going through your karela fry entry. I can totally relate to what you wrote in the first paragraph. As a kid, I never liked bitter gourds, and my husband loves this vegetable. He loves this so much that he buys it during every visit to the Indian grocery (that is once a month). I have no problem cooking it for him, but he will force me to eat it as well! I eat this like a medicine, with my eyes closed I will swallow it with a few sips of water. Now I have a better idea, I make pickles out of it whenever he buys it so he can enjoy his favorite vegetable all month long. He loves this pickled version (in fact he will eat karela in any form) and it seems to be okay with me too.

kavikuil
9th February 2006, 07:58 PM
Thanks Dev and Redpepper! :D

Redpepper, I'll try your version of karela pickles sometime soon. Have a feeling, my husband will like it too. Thanks for the recipe.

I also want to try Hemantji's version of pavakkai wafers! But it's always cold here, so can't dry anything in the sun, as I'd love to. Maybe, I'll ask my Mom or MIL to do it for me in India.

RedPepper
9th February 2006, 09:32 PM
But it's always cold here, so can't dry anything in the sun, as I'd love to. Maybe, I'll ask my Mom or MIL to do it for me in India.

This wouldn't be same as drying in the sun. But I have tried drying things in the oven at a very very low temperature as well as in a dehydrator. You may turn on the oven at the lowest temperature, and spread the salted veggies in a cookie sheet lined with a wax paper. Just a single layer, don't overcrowd it. They will be dry in 4-5 hours. Dehydrator works even better.

kavikuil
10th February 2006, 08:30 PM
Thanks redpepper. I'll try the drying in the oven option and also look into dehydrators.