PDA

View Full Version : Post ur queries.....Lets find solutions.

Shakthiprabha.
25th December 2005, 04:04 PM
Most of us have queries(in general) to post, solutions to seek, need few ears to listen.

One can post general queries(A TO Z) asking solutions, seek or offer emotional guidance.

Let this OPEN FORUM be a clean one which offers support in all possible way to the ones who seek help or offer help.

Let us not open thread for QUERIES on health problems, emotional problems or for RANDOM QUESTIONS.

dev
25th December 2005, 06:07 PM
Another 'Agony Aunty'!!!...:)

pavalamani pragasam
25th December 2005, 06:45 PM
I echo dev!

Shakthiprabha.
25th December 2005, 08:10 PM
Whoz AGONY AUNTY???

:huh: :roll:

I just thought TOO MANY THREADS ON RANDOM QUERIES. (sonumickey's post delivery probs, someone askin about guitar classes setc....)

this I thought is NOT ONLY FOR AGONY..... its just for question-answers thrown and answered at random.

Sorry if I sounded like AGONY AUNT!!

The thread may be locked if found idiotic.

Lambretta
25th December 2005, 09:08 PM
Whoz AGONY AUNTY???
Nirosha Sen (been quite sum time since she's visited here btw......)

this I thought is NOT ONLY FOR AGONY..... its just for question-answers thrown and answered at random.
Um....based on wat btw? :? Like, answers to problems, "wat shud I do" types??

Sorry if I sounded like AGONY AUNT!!
Aah...u don't wanna be thot of as an Aunty, rite?!! :wink: :lol:
Oops! Sorry 'don't mean to digress.....!

schnappi
25th December 2005, 09:36 PM
Whoz AGONY AUNTY???

:huh: :roll:

This is the first question I should mention! :clap:

I remeber a story that I heard or read very long ago goes more or less like this:

Once one Devi was at loggerheads with another to find out who is the best. Thus they went to a Thevar and asked him to decide. He told to the good Devi that she is the best while comming and to the bad Devi that she is the best while going.

Now you may assume what you want but from my point the latter suits the best for that Agony Aunty. Any votes against?

P_R
25th December 2005, 10:04 PM
Here's a question :

Is there any way to have a burger without humiliating oneself in public ? I almost always end up with mayo and ketchup smeared all over my face (not to mention sesame seed on my nose if it's a big mac one). There is no such thing as a right bite size. I either nibble too slowly and it is all cold by the time I get past the lettuce or I have bitten too big to chew. Anything inbetween and it is spill galore.

Because of this I almost never order burger when I am out with friends. I want to fix this impediment to my social life. And I am serious as a church.

dev
25th December 2005, 10:21 PM
Buy some take away burgers & learn to eat it the right way when U r at home...:)

Idiappam
25th December 2005, 10:23 PM
You are not actually eating the burger if you don't get the sauce on your nose. Do things as they ought to be done.

If you want to eat clean, then go somewhere you can sit and be served.

PS. Idli should be eaten with hands, even though you would have a hard time pushing it into your mouth against the pull of gravity.

PS. Pop corn and peanuts should be popped into the mouth. Aim right first!

P_R
25th December 2005, 10:28 PM
Buy some take away burgers & learn to eat it the right way when U r at home...:) :evil: Only difference is I make a mess alone and I can pick the piece that spills on the table and pop it into my mouth without grossing people out.

Shakthiprabha.
25th December 2005, 10:34 PM
Whoz AGONY AUNTY???
Nirosha Sen (been quite sum time since she's visited here btw......)

oh ok. I dont know that!! :shock:

Aah...u don't wanna be thot of as an Aunty, rite?!! :wink: :lol:

u are RITE again lambretta :grin: :lol:

P_R
25th December 2005, 10:34 PM
You are not actually eating the burger if you don't get the sauce on your nose. Do things as they ought to be done. Ah ! This is the kind of reassurance I was fishing for.

PS. Pop corn and peanuts should be popped into the mouth. Aim right first! Ah ! I was coming here. Do u pick a handfull and use your fingers to feed one at a time. Or do u pick one at a time and eat ?

As far as popcorn goes I balance intake and etiquette by following the same strategy as whoever I am sharing the box of popcorn with. If there are table manners I am transgressing I'd like to know.

Shakthiprabha.
25th December 2005, 10:39 PM
REg this BURGER, I am always LEFT CLUELESS AS TO HOW TO GO BOUT IT.

With great deterimination, I tried to compress it(suggested by my hus) and opened my mout wide enough. Sadly even then compressed burger is 1.5 times more than mouth ajar :oops:

I felt so damn sensitive and embarrassing, I carried to the car, split it and ate it. :oops:

REg dosa being eaten by FORK AND SPOON :shock: I always wonder WHY FIGIT AND FIGHT WITH IT SO MUCH, just USE UR HANDS!! simple!

however idlis are comfy eaten with spoons or forks.

NICE QUESTIONS!! FOR STARTERS! :lol:

schnappi
25th December 2005, 10:57 PM
dosa being eaten by FORK AND SPOON :shock:

Must be a post british custom :roll:

Lambretta
26th December 2005, 12:00 AM
With great deterimination, I tried to compress it(suggested by my hus) and opened my mout wide enough. Sadly even then compressed burger is 1.5 times more than mouth ajar :oops:
I felt so damn sensitive and embarrassing, I carried to the car, split it and ate it. :oops:
I reckon its equally messy if u try & split it!! :P :lol:
'guess the only alternative wud be to call it quits/namaste w/ burgers & forget abt eating them.....unless/until u find out a way of how to eat them in a less messy way! :D
As 4 me, I jus realised its been a long time since I've eaten a burger!! Altho I din't give it up or nething.....jus din't feel like having one all these days....! :)

REg dosa being eaten by FORK AND SPOON :shock:
Tats next to impossible! Esp. if its a paper dosa! I only know by watching various unsuccessful attempts of Chinese/Western tourists @ Indian restaurants when I was in Singapore! :lol:

however idlis are comfy eaten with spoons or forks.
Yes, considering if u don't like getting ur fingers messy w/ sambhar/podi.......! :P

Lambretta
26th December 2005, 12:02 AM
PS. Idli should be eaten with hands, even though you would have a hard time pushing it into your mouth against the pull of gravity.

PS. Pop corn and peanuts should be popped into the mouth. Aim right first!
PS. forgot to ask- how wud u suggest eating Idiappam lah??! :wink: :D

schnappi
26th December 2005, 12:25 AM
vAyAla I would suggest.

Shakthiprabha.
26th December 2005, 01:08 AM
idiappam is fine with fork :grin:

Hey that burger, I meant to eat like pav and bhaji :grin: :oops: :lol: (split and eat like pav and bhaji)
I did not get it messed up. Though I was adamantly eating it inside my car, with windows TIGHTLY shut. :lol:
My hus always manage to eat it neatly. :jealous: :jealous:

malsi
26th December 2005, 03:20 PM
i'll tell how i eat a burget...of course when u receive the burger..it's properly wrapped right?...so..just open up the wrapper at the portion u plan to eat..so..the other parts are still wrapped..and incase it get spilled..it spills in the wrapper itself and not on the table ..ur lap..or whatever...

if it comes without a wrapper..get some tissues..and wrap the down portion with tissues and eat..just as simple as that..

p/s : many people have admired how neatly i eat my burger ;)..ehem ehem..

gaddeswarup
26th December 2005, 04:15 PM
Fritjof Capra in "The Hidden Connections", on page 32, says that the words for 'soul' in Samskrit (atman), Greek (psyche) and Latin (anima) all originally meant breath. Similarly for 'spirit'. On pages 80-82, there is a discussion about the ancient meanings of 'culture' and 'technology'. It is accepted that many meanings involved and I was not quite able to verify the above claim of Capra about the paricular word 'soul'. My query is this: If Capra is right how do we interpret ancient texts which are supposed to contain perennial truths?
swarup

malsi
26th December 2005, 08:25 PM
yeppa..enaku theriyathu...

Lambretta
26th December 2005, 08:42 PM
Fritjof Capra in "The Hidden Connections", on page 32, says that the words for 'soul' in Samskrit (atman), Greek (psyche) and Latin (anima) all originally meant breath. Similarly for 'spirit'. On pages 80-82, there is a discussion about the ancient meanings of 'culture' and 'technology'. It is accepted that many meanings involved and I was not quite able to verify the above claim of Capra about the paricular word 'soul'. My query is this: If Capra is right how do we interpret ancient texts which are supposed to contain perennial truths?
swarup
Shudn't this be posted in the Indian History/culture secn?? :?

gaddeswarup
27th December 2005, 02:26 AM
Lambretta,
I was not sure. Thought any query goes and did not want to get in to detailed discussions. It was just a query.
Swarup

pavalamani pragasam
27th December 2005, 12:22 PM
In the last issue of the Tamil weekly, Kumudam, in a question answer column an Apollo Hospital doctor dispels fear of cancer in microwave cooking but warns against using plastic containers for cooking which give out benzene, a sure carcinogenic factor. I cook in borosil glassware but use microwave -safe plastic for reheating. Should I rethink?
Mainly, are there 2 categories, microwave safe & microwave proof plastics?

Sandeep
27th December 2005, 12:31 PM
Microwave proof or safe only mean that the plastic vessel will be safe inside the microwave (will not melt) and are not tested against the effect on food.

Thought once in a while is ok prolonged usage is better avoided.

P_R
27th December 2005, 02:06 PM
My query is this: If Capra is right how do we interpret ancient texts which are supposed to contain perennial truths?
swarup Didn't get the question. Can u pl. elaborate.

gaddeswarup
27th December 2005, 05:46 PM
gaddeswarup wrote:
My query is this: If Capra is right how do we interpret ancient texts which are supposed to contain perennial truths?
swarupDidn't get the question. Can u pl. elaborate.

Suppose that you reading a poem wtitten long ago when 'atma' meant breath( if Capra is right) and the poem is considered sacred. How does one interpret it?
Many meanings seem to have evolves and some meanings of words are probably lost. I read in one of the sites that some of the vacabularly in Annamacharya's songs is not understood now. The Problem comes with texts which are considered eternal. There may be a simple answer and I may be just confused.
Swarup[/quote]

ssanjinika
27th December 2005, 06:55 PM
In the last issue of the Tamil weekly, Kumudam, in a question answer column an Apollo Hospital doctor dispels fear of cancer in microwave cooking but warns against using plastic containers for cooking which give out benzene, a sure carcinogenic factor. I cook in borosil glassware but use microwave -safe plastic for reheating. Should I rethink?
Mainly, are there 2 categories, microwave safe & microwave proof plastics?

I have found that all plastic(including gladwares and ziplocs) microwave bowls/vessels give out some kind of smell that permenates the food.I assumed that anything which can smell when heated probably is not good for the body and stopped heating anything in them.Glassware is the best to use in the microwave is my opinion.

Shakthiprabha.
27th December 2005, 07:32 PM
gaddeswarup wrote:
swarupDidn't get the question. Can u pl. elaborate.

Suppose that you reading a poem wtitten long ago when 'atma' meant breath( if Capra is right) and the poem is considered sacred. How does one interpret it?
Many meanings seem to have evolves and some meanings of words are probably lost. I read in one of the sites that some of the vacabularly in Annamacharya's songs is not understood now. The Problem comes with texts which are considered eternal. There may be a simple answer and I may be just confused.
Swarup[/quote]

ur query is not very clear to me.

atma (assumign capra is breath) can also be interpreted as PRANAN. or PRAN. 'Life-force' to be precise.

I AM ABS not sure if, what i am talkin is anyway related to the query. SORRY if I am out of track.

mss
28th December 2005, 06:58 AM
Hi,
Sorry if this is the wrong place for this query, but I don't know where else to put it.
Now here is the query: I used to be a fan of Chandamama (or Ambulimama in tamil) books when I was a kid in the 70's. I feel that the publications now are not what they used to be. Could someone please tell me where I could get those old books. I would like to buy those for my kids.
Thanks.

gaddeswarup
28th December 2005, 11:27 AM
mss wrote:

I used to be a fan of Chandamama (or Ambulimama in tamil) books when I was a kid in the 70's. I feel that the publications now are not what they used to be. Could someone please tell me where I could get those old books. I would like to buy those for my kids.

Pl. see: http://www.chandamama.org/ and if you go to corporate information, they have contact details.
If you google 'chandamama', there are several items like:
http://www.indiaclub.com/shop/SearchResults.asp?ProdStock=11718
But this seems to be in English. Are you looking for the Telugu versions?
Old issues if Baala (Telugu) have been published a few months ago but I do not know about Chandamama.Regards,
Swarup
P.S. My query about evolution of meanings seems to be confusing everybody, so please ignore it.

Anoushka
27th January 2006, 08:48 PM
Anyone know of a software to record from online radios?

Thanks in advance for your replies :)

pooja.shankar
28th January 2006, 05:05 PM
I WANT A GOOD ASTROLOGER. .......MY QUERY IS ABOUT MY FUTURE.....lol...

I AM REALLY ANXIOUS......

Alien
28th January 2006, 05:24 PM
I WANT A GOOD ASTROLOGER. .......
Anjali(aka "hi") or Selvakumar might be of great help to u
:rotfl: :lol: :wink:

pooja.shankar
29th January 2006, 09:50 AM

thanks ......buts whus this (hi).......

is he / she an astrologer.?

pooja.shankar
29th January 2006, 09:53 AM
well ..also does any agnostics here ?

does any1 here write <sriramjayam> and things like ..that ...

wat is the point of doing these things ....do u blev theyve helped u? how ?

great
29th January 2006, 10:17 AM

it helps in improving ur hand writing.....

pooja.shankar
29th January 2006, 11:49 AM

it helps in improving ur hand writing.....balaji ..please i am really desperate ,... i ll do nythin to do magic to my grades ..now i dunt want any1 to suggest ...study and it does magic to ur grades..i knw tht and i am .......

yet things are always beyond our control too ....thts y ..

dev
29th January 2006, 11:53 AM
:roll: :roll: :roll:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

goodsense
29th January 2006, 11:56 AM
:oops: :oops: :roll: :lol:

Alien
29th January 2006, 12:07 PM
:rotfl: :lol: ... this is gettin funny .......

great
29th January 2006, 01:25 PM

it helps in improving ur hand writing.....balaji ..please i am really desperate ,... i ll do nythin to do magic to my grades ..now i dunt want any1 to suggest ...study and it does magic to ur grades..i knw tht and i am .......

yet things are always beyond our control too ....thts y ..

Pooja :roll: .... are u alright.....:lol: :lol:

Shakthiprabha.
30th January 2006, 03:00 PM
I am an agnostic.!

why?

:roll:

Lambretta
30th January 2006, 04:58 PM

Yappa! Athellam engaluku theriyathu.... :shock: :? :lol:

pooja.shankar
30th January 2006, 06:22 PM
hmmmm,,,

hi
2nd February 2006, 12:41 PM

It's me :oops:
Jana :hammer:

selvakumar
2nd February 2006, 02:22 PM
I WANT A GOOD ASTROLOGER. .......MY QUERY IS ABOUT MY FUTURE.....lol...

I AM REALLY ANXIOUS......

Well.. Pooja... I already referred www.astrogyan.com for ur query. See.. it is a pay site. Some 10 vedic astrologers are running it. I think they can help u more on this.

REgarding myself, I am still learning a drop of the astrology ocean.

Vasanth,

Thanks for referring my name :D

Lambretta
2nd February 2006, 03:40 PM
Pooja,
If its just 'basic' astrology based on ur D.O.B, star sign, u may try this one: www.astrocenter.com
I hook onto this to view my horscope regularly! :D
If u want one based on Indian astrology, u cud chek out the site Selva provided....

selvakumar
2nd February 2006, 03:49 PM
Pooja,
If its just 'basic' astrology based on ur D.O.B, star sign, u may try this one: www.astrocenter.com
I hook onto this to view my horscope regularly! :D
If u want one based on Indian astrology, u cud chek out the site Selva provided....

Just checked that website provided by u Lambretta.. Really cool :cool:

www.Astroved.com is also good. These people will pray for u amidst difficult times. They will also inform u about constant poojas that u can do to resolve ur problems. A nice website!!

If u people are interested in understanding the basics of astrology and the reports, then have a look at
www.galacticcenter.org.

IMHO,
www.astrogyan.com is the best - I have ever seen. They also mention about several dhosha's that we have (if we have any!!).

Lambretta
2nd February 2006, 04:06 PM
Just checked that website provided by u Lambretta.. Really cool :cool:
Tks! :D

www.Astroved.com is also good. These people will pray for u amidst difficult times.
:shock: U SERIOUSLY believe tat??!! :roll:
Do they do it for u for free??!

selvakumar
2nd February 2006, 04:14 PM
www.Astroved.com is also good. These people will pray for u amidst difficult times.
:shock: U SERIOUSLY believe tat??!! :roll:
Do they do it for u for free??!

Lambretta..

I got several mails regarding that from them. They informed me about the various pooja's that I can do to keep myself away from hard times. :D

If you are interested in participating in their special prayer, U got to pay them. It ranges from Rs.50 to Rs.500(depending on ur ability). If u are not interested in paying for these things, then u can conduct those poojas in ur home.!! No problems. Also, most often they pray for the welfare of others!! (in Vedic style with all aagama vithigal followed)

Saya Setju
2nd February 2006, 06:22 PM
My query is:

How can you get rid of Moderators?

Your solution is ...?

Anoushka
2nd February 2006, 06:27 PM
Anyone know of a software to record from online radios?

Thanks in advance for your replies :)

No one posted answer to my query... so I googled (which I should have done in the first place) and found out these links...

http://www.wmrecorder.com/rmr_user_guide_102.php#recording_other

http://souxin.gzrail.net/dvbbs/record-video-stream/record-streaming-video-realmedia.htm

http://www.cwi.nl/projects/Ambulant/distPlayer.html

Saya Setju
2nd February 2006, 06:28 PM
deleted by mod..
Selvakumar,
I hope my modifications satisfy your concerns regarding the female hubbers.
I read that in an ordinary newspaper and this paper is also read by a lot of female readers. Until now not a single being felt offended, not even Enrique. That you like his music, i would call it sobstuff, is your taste and not mine.

selvakumar
2nd February 2006, 06:35 PM
Saya Setju,

:shock: I want to remind u that here we have lot more female hubbers also. Please edit your post on Enrique. I like his songs. I don't care about his personal life. I am sad that my signature has made someone to come up with a post like this. :sad:

selvakumar
2nd February 2006, 08:26 PM
Anyhow Thanx for the modifications SS..:D

pooja.shankar
3rd February 2006, 12:18 AM
ok ..i dunt have time for tht selvakumar ...as of now i use ......www.aryabhatt.com
and i ll try out www.astroved.com
and www.astrogyan.com
www.astrocenter.com

lets see ..if ihave time

Shakthiprabha.
13th February 2006, 01:36 PM
how mcuh do u think is the RUNNING SALARY FOR

drivers (ladies use... drop and pick up, drop and pick up kids, jobs errands,

Lambretta
13th February 2006, 07:41 PM
how mcuh do u think is the RUNNING SALARY FOR
drivers (ladies use... drop and pick up, drop and pick up kids, jobs errands,
If u don't intend to hav a 'veetode' driver, he'll charge u depending on the no. of hrs per day u engage him I guess...altho ther criteria may be different in different cities....
BTw, I wan2 kno if it depend on wat kind of car u hav too......couple of yrs ago we once had a driver who wanted a higher salary than wat he was being paid, when my folks switched from a Maruti 800 to a Ford Ikon......he said as the latter was a bigger car he wanted a higher pay! :shock: :roll:

Shakthiprabha.
13th February 2006, 11:50 PM
what is veetoda driver>???????? :roll:

I am not for anyone intruding my family privacy in the name of anything. :roll:

Intend only buying second hand maruthi(for my use :D )hehe

ssanjinika
14th February 2006, 12:30 AM
SP:
My advice would be to learn driving.Its been my personal exp that having a driver is s huge headache!!You have to depend on that guy everytime u wantto take the car out.Have to listen to their excuses as to why they cudnt come at a particular time and the whole thing about why its imp that they get these days off ahhhh..its enough for u to say to hell with the driver,I'll take the car out myself(even if I dont know driving :)).

Shakthiprabha.
14th February 2006, 08:31 AM
:(

Lambretta
14th February 2006, 01:22 PM
what is veetoda driver>???????? :roll:

I am not for anyone intruding my family privacy in the name of anything. :roll:
I meant having a driver stay at ur house itself, like a veetode vaelekaaran/valekaari......in which case u'd hav to provide lodging for him (& maybe his family!) to stay, like an outhouse or sumthing (only if u hav independent house)....its cheaper to hav one who comes, works for a few hrs & goes everyday instead.

Intend only buying second hand maruthi(for my use :D )hehe
Um.....for ur use in the sense ur hubby has a car already? :shock:

Lambretta
14th February 2006, 01:35 PM
SP:
My advice would be to learn driving.Its been my personal exp that having a driver is s huge headache!!You have to depend on that guy everytime u wantto take the car out.Have to listen to their excuses as to why they cudnt come at a particular time and the whole thing about why its imp that they get these days off ahhhh.
Yea I agree....I don't think u need a driver for a Maruti (they say its like a toy! Maybe tats y its so fragile too! :roll:) unless ur very old w/ poor eyesight wher it'd be risky to drive urself.....
Also not all drivers r good at driving these days, most of them r rash.......& considering tat newer cars r faster/supposedly easier to handle, giving it in their hands is like the saying goes "korangu kayile puvu maalai"! No kiding!
We had this driver for a while, when my folks bought their Ford Ikon brand new 2 yrs ago ......when I visited home from Singapore once we were coming home in tat car & at a X-road he had it rammed in the side by another car on tat day itself! And it was just bought, not even registered yet!
We sold tat car last year after my dad's death (he wanted it as his last wish even tho we cudn't afford it, also I'm not int'd in driving ne newer car! so my mum din't want to spend money having a driver)
Btw, speakin of 2nd hand maruti, I believe u can get a 2000 model in B'lore for as less as 30k....is it true??

malsi
15th February 2006, 07:25 PM
are blind people ( from birth ) able to have dreams ( while sleeping ) like how normal people do?

Lambretta
15th February 2006, 07:29 PM
are blind people ( from birth ) able to have dreams ( while sleeping ) like how normal people do?
Hmm....tricky qsn.! :)
My guess is if they cud hear well (from birth) they wud hav sound-related dreams if not visual.....even sum normal ppl. hav dreams where they hear screaming/laughter, various sounds/voices....

podalangai
16th February 2006, 05:20 AM
I have a friend who is blind. His dreams have sounds, tastes, feeling and smell. No pictures. He said that he once had a dream where he could see, but he doesn't remember what things looked like.

I have never had a dream where I smelled something, and I did not know it was possible to smell in dreams. I will try to dream of a walk along the beautiful banks of the Coovum, or the scenic Mahim Creek, and let you know the results.

malsi
16th February 2006, 07:23 PM
hehehe

Lambretta
16th February 2006, 07:38 PM
I have never had a dream where I smelled something, and I did not know it was possible to smell in dreams. I will try to dream of a walk along the beautiful banks of the Coovum, or the scenic Mahim Creek, and let you know the results.
Hmm......donno abt those but in my case just a walk into one of the bathrooms in our flat wud be enuff to make u rem. smell for a whole day (maybe evn in ur dreams!)......*puke*.....cos there happens to be a leak in one of the drainage pipes of our bldg. fitted just outside the bathroom window tat's yet to be fixed.....the smell often comes whenever there's too much u-know-wat flowing thru the pipes! :x :banghead:

gaddeswarup
14th March 2006, 10:49 AM
I came across the name G.Ramanathan who composed music for a western (American?) film called "The Jungle" (1952). He might have even won an award for that. Is he the same person who composed music for Tamil and Telugu films? It is possible that the answer is already somewhere in the HUB.