PDA

View Full Version : Watch and try authentic Kerala Recipe's-

AshAch
3rd January 2006, 01:33 AM
Folks,

Kerala pachakam is a dying art and this needs to be revived. The younger generation has lost appreciation for our kerala staples like Aviyal, Olan, Kootu Curry, Paladda etc.

Ashach.com (http://www.ashach.com) is a small effort on our side to preserve our authentic cooking styles and we need your help and support to sustain this effort. We are adding videos of authentic kerala cusine to help preserve our culinary tradition

malayalee
3rd January 2006, 04:46 AM
Thanks for the information AshAch, really enjoyed the first vosit to your site.
keep it up.

rsankar
3rd January 2006, 01:29 PM
Hello,

What is the meaning of Pachakam?

Regards
rsankar.

AshAch
3rd January 2006, 10:34 PM
"Pachakam" means Samayal a.ka. "The Art and science of cooking"

RedPepper
3rd January 2006, 11:15 PM
That is a wonderful attempt in reviving the Kerala recipes.

The quality of the video & audio is excellent.

I know the reipe text is given in English. But if you can add English captions to the video, non-keralites also can enjoy the video presentation. Just a suggestion.

AshAch
4th January 2006, 01:10 AM
Thank you for the feedback. We are working on providing closed captioning in English and other Indian languages.

Alternatively we are also looking for volunteers to dub this in Tamil, telugu, Kannada and Hindi.

malayalee
7th January 2006, 05:43 PM
Thanks AshAch,
Your Pathiri-Kozhi Curry and recent Konju fry were really good.

AshAch
7th January 2006, 10:16 PM
Thank you for the feedback. We are looking for people to submit their own recipe's in TEXT/AUDIO/VIDEO formats.

You can submit your recipe's and vote for recipe's to be filmed.

shreya23
11th January 2006, 06:55 PM
hi ashach
whenever i tried watching the video, the picture freezes & gets stuck :( dunno why, but otherwise your site is really good . :thumbsup: very professional.
shreya

AshAch
11th January 2006, 10:08 PM
Hi Shreya,
Thank you for your interest. The Videos are encoded for a DSL/Broadband connection. Are you trying to connect using a hingspeed internet connection? We are aware of this problem and are in the process of making these videos work in dialup connection speeds.
We will soon be launching the audio tracks for these videos so that users can download and listen to them at leisure.
Thank you for your support.

riceandbeans
17th January 2006, 05:21 AM
Beautiful. Loved the site and the recipes.

vizmaya
10th February 2006, 01:31 AM
Good snaps.

vizmaya.

Alan
14th February 2006, 09:12 PM
Can someone give me the recipe for 'Sadhya Avial'- no not the usual one made at home but the ones served for marriages etc.

None of my Mallu aunts(friends' moms) seemed to know that ne.
Thanks in advance!

Alan
17th February 2006, 09:55 AM
HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Shoba
17th February 2006, 02:40 PM
HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Alan,

How would you normally make aviyal?

I ask coz there are many variations of making aviyal depending on which part of Kerala one comes from, and from which community.

Shoba

Alan
17th February 2006, 04:11 PM
I have made it only twice- I cut (long pieces) & boil all the veggies- Carrot, Yam (Chena), Raw Banana, Vellarika , drumsticks & Pumpkin(opt) & boil with salt & turmeric powder. Then I grind together curd, coconut , green chillis & small red onions, add this paste to the cook veggies. Garnish with Curry leaves. Is this method correct?
But mostly it turns out like a gravy not semisolid paste

Shoba
17th February 2006, 06:27 PM
I have made it only twice- I cut (long pieces) & boil all the veggies- Carrot, Yam (Chena), Raw Banana, Vellarika , drumsticks & Pumpkin(opt) & boil with salt & turmeric powder. Then I grind together curd, coconut , green chillis & small red onions, add this paste to the cook veggies. Garnish with Curry leaves. Is this method correct?

The trick to get semi solid state is to cook veggies in just enough water, as vegetables generate water while getting cooked. Close the vessel while cooking. Should there be excess water, then add thuvar dhal to the coconut paste while grinding.

Alan, cumin is an integral part of the coconut arappu for aviyal.

Variations for arappu in addition to grated coconut & jeeragam (cumin):

1. Tamarind, dried red chillies, garlic, small onions- mostly North Kerala

2. Tamarind, dried red chillies, onions, green mango- Kottayam-Thiruvalla side

3. Tamarind, dried red chillies or Curd, green chillies- Palakkad, Thrissur area. Handful of either thuvaram parippu or broiled rice is added while grinding the arappu.

Kalyaana aviyal usually is very thick, with lots of coarsely ground coconut. It can be either creamy white colour, or orangey red, depending on the type of chilli used and again, the locality.

The addition of onions & garlic is pretty much a no-no while cooking vegetables, as vegetables do not need tenderizing the way meat does.

However, as the saying goes, 'each to his own'

Shoba

riceandbeans
18th February 2006, 03:51 AM
If I may add to the great tips given by Shoba, I would say cook the veggies very well and add little water at a time if needed until the veggies get to the right consistency without too much gravy left. Do this before adding the coconut paste with the curd because if you keep cooking for too long after adding the paste, the curd will break down and the whole thing will be watery. Hopes this helps.

Alan
18th February 2006, 06:07 AM

The trick to get semi solid state is to cook veggies in just enough water, as vegetables generate water while getting cooked. Close the vessel while cooking. Should there be excess water, then add thuvar dhal to the coconut paste while grinding.

Alan, cumin is an integral part of the coconut arappu for aviyal.

Variations for arappu in addition to grated coconut & jeeragam (cumin):

1. Tamarind, dried red chillies, garlic, small onions- mostly North Kerala

2. Tamarind, dried red chillies, onions, green mango- Kottayam-Thiruvalla side

3. Tamarind, dried red chillies or Curd, green chillies- Palakkad, Thrissur area. Handful of either thuvaram parippu or broiled rice is added while grinding the arappu.

Kalyaana aviyal usually is very thick, with lots of coarsely ground coconut. It can be either creamy white colour, or orangey red, depending on the type of chilli used and again, the locality.

The addition of onions & garlic is pretty much a no-no while cooking vegetables, as vegetables do not need tenderizing the way meat does.

However, as the saying goes, 'each to his own'

Shoba

Thanks a ton, Shoba! I'll def be trying these out sometime soon.

AshAch
16th April 2006, 09:46 AM
One more tip is to use Green chilles instead of the red chilles. This will give it a good colour and less spice.

If you are using Red chilles, de-seed them.

vizmaya
22nd July 2006, 05:10 AM
Drum stick (Muringakka) - 100gm,Yam (chena) - 100gm,Tara root (chempu) - 100gm-Ash gourd (Kumbalanga) - 100gm,Raw Banana(Paccha Kai) - 100gm,String Beans(Payar) - 100gm,Yellow Pumpkin( Mathan) - 100gm,Snake gourd(Padavalanga) - 100gm,Potato - 2
Carrot - 1,onion - 1,Green chilly -1,Turmeric powder -1/2 tsp,Curry Leaves - 3 stalks

Coconut(grated) - 1 cup
Cumin Seeds (Jeera) - 1tsp
Yoghurt (curd) - 1/4 - 1/2 cup

Coriander powder - 3 tsp
Red chilli powder -1 tsp
Fenugreek powder(uluva pd) - 1 pinch

4.Salt - to taste

Method

Cut all the vegetables into thin slices. Cook it with little water,salt,turmeric,onion,green chilly and curry leaves. Make a paste of grated coconut,cumin seeds and yoghurt. When it is half cooked put th paste into it. When it is fully cooked put the coriander powder,red chilli powder and Methi powder which is fried in the oil(Fry coriander powder,red chilli powder and Methi powder in low flame or it will get burned).Serve Avial hot with rice,pickle and pappadam (pappad).