PDA

View Full Version : Need help identifying some music

Sensible
5th January 2006, 01:09 AM
Hello

I was wondering whether anyone could assist in identifying some material. I don't know about Indian classical music, but I'm pretty sure I have a recording of some. I just bought a tape reel dating back to 1960 - no label - with a recording of some nice music. I would describe it as minimal - a very deep, resonant bass drum and a bowed string accompaniment. Listening to some samples from the net, I would guess the string instrument is a sirangi. The string player just keeps playing the same riff over and over again, mimicking a loop - never changing melody or key or time. Meanwhile, the drummer sort of plays over the stringed instrument, taking the lead/prominence. The drums keep drifting between different beat cycles - sounds sort of semi-improvised. The overall impression is a very solemn, thunderous, serious sort of sound.

What kind of music is this? Would it be Hindustani or Karnatic? Could it be a style of drupad? Which gharana?

Thanks

rajraj
5th January 2006, 04:19 AM
Sensible: Sounds like Sarangi. Please listen to Sarangi and Esraj in the Hindustani Instrumental section of musicindiaonline.com .
You will get some idea.

Lakshman
5th January 2006, 04:24 AM
The music you describe is hindustani music and the instruments are tabla and sarnagi. The sarangi here is used as a background only where the artist plays the same phrase over and over. The main instrument is the tabla where the artist shows off his expertise in drumming.
If you wish more information please contact me: luzchurch@hotmail.com

Sensible
9th January 2006, 03:10 AM
Thanks rr. I am now quite sure the instrument used is the sarangi. This is quite a curious type of music - strangely compelling. I would be quite interested to learn what might be known about its (this sarangi and tabla style's) situation in time and place, particularly its earliest origins. I wonder whether anyone might know about this? Or about the circumstances in which its played today (i.e. in ritual or religious gatherings perhaps, or maybe as an exercise for instrumentalists). Something in the nature of this formula (a recital of presumably passed-down tabla phrases and the dogmatic rendition of repertoire by the sarangi-ist) causes me to speculate at an origin much earlier than the Indian classical period.
I will email you Lakshman (thanks for assistance) but if anyone else has any insights feel free to share.