PDA

View Full Version : Salads

Alan
9th January 2006, 12:35 PM
I would like to know the different types of fresh salads that can be prepared. I'm on a crash diet as my wedding is approaching. Need to lose 10-12 kgs by April. (My height is 6 ft 2" and I weigh 101 kgs)

So, I am more into fresh veggies. But I'm tired of eating those everyday? Thanks in advance!

shreya23
9th January 2006, 07:30 PM
hi alan
r potatoes allowed in your diet ? if so you can make a salad with boiled potatoes, salad onions chopped, crabsticks, black olives & light vinaigrette dressing.
you can also prepare a salad with some chopped tomatoes, tinned tuna, lettuce & baby spinach shredded& olive oil.
shreya

RedPepper
10th January 2006, 01:02 AM
I would like to know the different types of fresh salads that can be prepared. I'm on a crash diet as my wedding is approaching. Need to lose 10-12 kgs by April. (My height is 6 ft 2" and I weigh 101 kgs)

So, I am more into fresh veggies. But I'm tired of eating those everyday? Thanks in advance!

Exercise. Exercise.. Exercise....

I do make salads occasionally. But my salad dressings are too rich and cannot be considered healthy. :)

Normally my salads consist of lettuce leaves, cucumbers, cherry tomatoes, black olives, grated carrots, croutons, feta cheese, olive oil, salt & pepper, and topped with a lot of grated parmesan cheese.

ssanjinika
10th January 2006, 01:22 AM
You could also try steamed veggies as a change.I find that steamed veggies with a splash of lime juice and salt and pepper a welcome change from the usual raw veggies.The veggies I usually steam are cauliflower,brocolli,carrots,babycorn,green beans,snow peas and plain peas(I steam them together)I also love steamed aspragus though I dont know if you get it in India.

Alan
10th January 2006, 08:04 PM
Thanks Red Pepper, Shreya & ssanjinika!

But I really hate boiled veggies but I think I'll try your recipe, ssanjinika.
RedPepper, your salad is too rich. It would help in increasing weight than decreasing! lol!

Shreya, I'm trying to cut out on Starch. ...so no potatoes. What are crabsticks by the way?

ssanjinika
10th January 2006, 08:35 PM
Alan if you dont like steamed veggies why dont you try throwing them into a soup?
A nice lowfat veggie soup is sure to brighten up the lunch hour esp if its cold outside.Lot of soups dont require much except some veggies and some stock/water for the liquid and some salt and pepper.It is a bit more work but worth the effort acording to me.It does get boring eating salads day after day.
I also usually try out various fruit and nut salads for a change.That would also be something different for you to try out.

shreya23
11th January 2006, 07:10 PM
hi alan
crabsticks are also known as surimi & ar usually added in salads but not sure if its available in india.it is also used in chinese spring rolls etc.
shreya

Alan
16th January 2006, 02:28 PM
Thanks again , ladies!

ash_970
17th January 2006, 10:03 PM
Hi ,
Does any one knows which dressing they serve on the salads given at McDonalds....they are with garlic flovour and have a grainy texture...let me know if
Thanks

rsankar
17th January 2006, 11:39 PM
Hi ash_970,

This is from http://www.copykat.com/

McDonald's Secret Sauce

Notes: This recipe was developed by Judy Chatham. Although this sauce goes well on a Big Mac, it also goes well on a sandwich. India relish can be found at your local grocery store. India relish is a type of pickle relish, just like there is dill relish, and

Ingredients:
1 C. Mayonnaise
2 Tbsp. Indian Relish Drained
1/2 tsp. Granulated Sugar
2 Tbsp. Thousand Island Dressing

Preparation:
Mix all ingredients well. Let stand for at least 20 minutes, allowing to sit overnight is desired.

ash_970
19th January 2006, 10:38 PM
Hi Rshanker,

Thanks for the recipe...I think you have given the recipe for the sauce they add along with Big mac...

what I am looking for is the liquid dressing they serve on the

green salad which comes with bread croutons and grilled chicken

Anoushka
1st February 2006, 05:19 PM
Alan, my salad recipe for you :)

Lettuce, tomatoes (cherry if possible, else chop the normal tomatoes to small pieces), onions (spring onions would be nice), capsicum, olives and feta cheese. You can ignore the cheese and use the rest.

If you get low fat mayo try grated carrot, cabbage and mayo with some salt.

And as Sanji said soup would be a lovely idea.... have some brown bread with it then becomes a healthy meal :)

kavikuil
7th February 2006, 03:02 AM
Four salad recipes for you, to help you with your goal!

Carrot salad: Grate 2-3 carrots, 1/2 inch ginger and 1/2 green chilly. Add salt and lemon juice. Add finely chopped coriander leaves. Mix well and leave for 15 mins. Enjoy!

Koshumber:Mix grated cucumber, grated cabbage, grated carrots, chopped coriander leaves, 1 tbsp chopped onions, 3 tbsp chopped tomatoes, salt and lemon juice. Enjoy!

Sprouts salad:This will give you energy. Mix 1/2 cup sprouts made of moth or whole green gram, 1 tbsp finely chopped onions, 2 tbsp finely chopped tomatoes, 2 tbsp grated carrot, finely chopped coriander leaves and lemon juice and salt. Serve right away. If eating raw sprouts are not your cup of tea, then half-cook them and try the salad recipe. Or fully cook them and try, if thats the only way you can eat sprouts.

Ash Pumpkin/winter melon salad: This salad is excellent for weightloss and tastes wonderful and very filling. Remove the skin and grate the white pumpkin. grate 1/2 a green chilly. chop coriander leaves. Mix these three in 1/2 cup curd/yogurt and add salt. Add a dash of lemon juice too. Mix well and eat right away. This is very healthy salad and it refreshens you very quickly.

You can also add grated raw mango in these salads.

Eat plenty of fruits, fruit juices, fruit salads too. Include low fat milk and low fat yogurt/lassi/chaach in your diet. Eat veggie salads as much as you feel like. dont do portion control on these, when you are doing it with carbs/proteins.

Also, dont stop eating carbs. Eat them in lesser quantity than usual. Eat proteins too. Cut the butter/oil/ghee/sweets/cakes etc in your diet. Removing carbs/proteins from your diet will not help you on your wedding day when you will want to look your best. It will only make you look sullen and tired. So, do eat lesser portions of Carbs/proteins and dont completely cut them out of your pre-wedding food.

Also, cut down maida and white bread. Stop eating parathas and have phulkas made with no oil at all. Drink tons of water. This will help you flush out the toxins and fat.

Exercise! This is very important. No amount of diet will help you stay thin until your wedding day and during the course of it.

Congratulations on your wedding and Goodluck with your weightloss. :D You still have time and it is do-able.

Anoushka
7th February 2006, 09:01 PM
Also if you have a choice between eating fruits and drinking fruit juice, go for the former as when you eat a fruit, you get the fibre and the sugar in the fruit doesn't get absorbed as quickly as when you drink fruit juice...

pooja.shankar
2nd March 2006, 02:22 PM
ALAN .. i assume u are a male ...

u seem to be a very down to earth domestic guy ..

i suppose u are living alone ..

coz i see posts like ..... cooking tips ..to cleaning artificial flowers .....

nice ..

ur wife shud be really lucky ....!!!!

Alan
20th March 2006, 10:54 AM
Hehe- Thanks Pooja- I just saw ur post now!

apujittu
26th March 2006, 09:52 AM
Can anyone share cold salad receipes...which can be kept in fridge and taken next day!

sujathakannan
29th March 2006, 12:40 AM
Alan,

I got this recipe from a magazine called 'Cooking Light'

It tastes really good.

Three Kings Salad

The colorful trio of beets, oranges, and red onion represents the three wise men from the nativity story. Section the oranges, cut the beets and onions, and make the vinaigrette ahead of time (store them in separate containers so the colors don't bleed). Assemble up to an hour before serving. We found most any fruit juice will work, however, and canned beets are fine, too.

4 navel oranges
1 (15-ounce) can whole beets, drained
3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
2 tablespoons walnut oil or olive oil
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
3/4 cup slivered red onion
Pomegranate seeds (optional)

Peel and section oranges over a bowl; squeeze membranes to extract juice. Set sections aside; reserve 1 1/2 tablespoons juice. Discard membranes.
Cut beets into wedges.
Combine reserved 1 1/2 tablespoons juice, vinegar, oil, salt, and pepper in a medium bowl; stir well with a whisk.
Divide beet wedges and orange sections evenly among 6 salad plates. Top each serving with 2 tablespoons onion slices. Drizzle with vinaigrette, and garnish with pomegranate seeds, if desired.
Note: To obtain pomegranate seeds, put on gloves and cut the pomegranate into quarters. Coax seeds out from the base with thumbs, being careful not to break seeds. Remove and discard white membrane. Reserve 1/3 cup seeds for garnish.

sujathakannan
29th March 2006, 12:41 AM
apujittu,

If you like pasta and eat chicken I have few pasta salads that you could make ahead and eat the next day. Let me know I can post them.

apujittu
29th March 2006, 01:08 AM
Hi sujathakannan,
can u post the receipe I like pasta & chicken..I want to take it for parenting group at school..
I am looking for other salad receipe too...

sujathakannan
29th March 2006, 08:34 PM
Hi apujittu,

Here is the recipe from a magazine 'Cooking Light' I subscribe for a while. I have done this salad lot of times. It is good lunch recipe you can do the day before. While this salad can be enjoyed the way it is, you can include or substitute different kinds of chicken, turkey, cheese salad dressing, or herbs. One time I did it without the romaine lettuce altogether, since at the last moment I found out I was out of it. Just reduce the dressing a bit then.

Caesar Chicken-Pasta Salad
From Cooking Light

Preparation time: 10 minutes,Cook time: 10 minutes.

3 cups (about 12 ounces) skinned, shredded roasted chicken breast (such as Tyson's)
3 cups hot cooked penne (about 6 ounces uncooked tubular-shaped pasta)
2 cups thinly sliced romaine lettuce
1 1/2 cups halved cherry tomatoes
1/2 cup thinly sliced fresh basil
1/2 cup chopped green onions
1/3 cup fat-free Caesar dressing
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
1 (4-ounce) package crumbled feta cheese
1 garlic clove, minced

Combine all ingredents in a large bowl; toss well to coat.
Note: To lower the sodium in this dish, use plain cooked chicken in place of the commercial roasted variety, which is fairly high in sodium.

Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 2 cups)

apujittu
31st March 2006, 01:23 AM
Thanks SukjathaKannan...I will try it out...can I use fresh oven roasted chicken store bought..for this receipe

sujathakannan
31st March 2006, 09:14 PM
apujittu, yes you can.

apujittu
1st April 2006, 02:45 AM
can anyone post cold vegetable salad receipe with light dressing....I am planning to take vegetables too

Kz
2nd April 2006, 07:38 AM
Any recipes for salad dressing?
Kz

dev
17th October 2006, 01:02 PM
Reviving the thread for Badri...