PDA

View Full Version : Mediocre Rap Use in Tamil Songs

Querida
10th January 2006, 08:30 AM
Maybe I'm being too harsh but I find myself increasingly cringing at the use of drippy rap lyrics in otherwise catchy songs. For example in "Nenjam Ennum" from Aaru, "Kannum Kannumthan" from Thirupachi. I cannot resist from smirking at attempts such as "Boom Boom" in Raam, its album otherwise one of good calibre.

There are good examples such as "Thathai Thathai" from Manmadhan is a song where rap lyrics in this case seems more fitting, though they seem poser-like to me, it certainly works better in this song than the previous two. Another positive example would be "New" from the movie of the same name where the rap lyrics merge with the tamil lyrics. I do see potential in "Enga Area" from Pudhupettai...the tamil lyrics follow the english rap style..there is innovation rather than just a copy of rap-like style and lyrics.

Though at times there is a connection between the lyrics and the rap, it just does not flow. It would be better if they were excluded this style in songs that can stand on their own, or focus on a song that is solely in the rap-style. Otherwise it ends up marring the song...like a badly remix. Am the only one who feels this way? Am i overly criticizing a merge of style that is still at its budding stage?

slperson1
19th January 2006, 07:37 AM
check out Vettaiyadu VIlaiyadu trailer.it has real rap.not sure if they ripped it off an english track or did they get Jay Z to do a tamil track :S:S:S:S

http://www.indiaglitz.com/channels/tamil/trailer/7516.html

interz
19th January 2006, 05:20 PM
petta rap was a great rap song, since then no good rap songs, even Rahman failed in "dating" song from boys, and "kama kama" from e20u18.

Querida
20th January 2006, 11:18 PM
True...Pettai Rap was a good one...I also liked Urvasi...the embrace of hip-hop seems to create much better results like the recent Rahatulla for one example that comes to mind. It's not like our culture is the only one...other cultures have used rap and have sounded quite odd for native listeners as well as outsiders (i was subjected to Korean Rap when in transit :P )is it the structure of Roman languages such as italian or spanish that let them to produce rap songs of better what...how do you measure mainstream quality, listen-ability?