PDA

View Full Version : S.Indian Fish Kolambu recipe

Nithi
18th January 2006, 11:40 PM
Does someone have a traditional South Indian fish kolambu recipe for cooking boneless fish like Salmon fillets? Would like to know a Tamilian style cooking recipe. Do I need to use tamarind ?

I would also like to know of the Malabar fish curry recipe- the Kerela style fish curry recipe. In case it requires coconut can I replace coconut powder/ tinned cream instead of fresh coconut? Which would work better- coconut cream or dry coconut powder?

Please post a recipe that's easy for a starter to try out and not so complicated! Or atleast tell me where I could find it online?
thanks so much!

VK Narayanan
19th January 2006, 02:34 AM
Does someone have a traditional South Indian fish kolambu recipe for cooking boneless fish like Salmon fillets? Would like to know a Tamilian style cooking recipe. Do I need to use tamarind ?

I would also like to know of the Malabar fish curry recipe- the Kerela style fish curry recipe. In case it requires coconut can I replace coconut powder/ tinned cream instead of fresh coconut? Which would work better- coconut cream or dry coconut powder?

Please post a recipe that's easy for a starter to try out and not so complicated! Or atleast tell me where I could find it online?
thanks so much!Nithila - try this one http://mydhaba.blogspot.com/2005/10/fish-curry_112946907815450701.html. You may use any fish of your choice with this recipe. My recipe calls for kodampuli but you may also use 2 teaspoon tamarind extract as a substitute. It is a south-indian version. Coconut milk works better in all fish curries. Hope this recipe is easy to understand and you will like it. Your feedbacks appreciated. Cheers!

Nithi
19th January 2006, 03:19 AM
thanks for the recipe. I will try it and let you know. Do you think the taste of the recipe will change if I use ginger garlic paste, red chilli powder and cummin powder etc instead of grinding the paste. Or do you think it will not make much of a difference?

VK Narayanan
19th January 2006, 03:49 AM
thanks for the recipe. I will try it and let you know. Do you think the taste of the recipe will change if I use ginger garlic paste, red chilli powder and cummin powder etc instead of grinding the paste. Or do you think it will not make much of a difference?Nithila - only the flavor improves if we use freshly ground paste; however, whenever you purchase packed spice powders from the grocers, look out for the freshly packed ones. We make our own spice powders at home in small batches for that extra flavor and color.

RedPepper
19th January 2006, 04:44 AM
vkn, its great to know that you make your own spice powders. I thought only grandmothers did that. :D No wonder your fish curry looks exactly like my grandmother's. (drooling..)
Do you buy whole spices at Indian grocery stores, and then roast(or sun dry?) and powder them?

Hi Nithila, welcome to the forum.
Here is my version http://myworksh0p.blogspot.com/2006/01/fish-curry.html

VK Narayanan
21st January 2006, 05:21 PM
vkn, its great to know that you make your own spice powders. I thought only grandmothers did that. :D No wonder your fish curry looks exactly like my grandmother's. (drooling..)
Do you buy whole spices at Indian grocery stores, and then roast(or sun dry?) and powder them? Yes RP, exactly the same, sun-dried, lightly roasted until hot to touch, and powdered to a fine powder in small batches to be sufficient for a month or so.

Deepapriya
31st January 2006, 07:52 AM
hi nithila
I am giving you the thanjavur fish kuzhambu recepie.
requirements:

tamarind - lime size(soak in water)
coconut - 1/2
onion - 150 grams(small onions preferred)
tomato - 3 or 4 medium sized
use gingelly oil only.
chilly powder - 2 tab. sp.
coriander powder - 4 tab. sp.
turmaric powder 1/2 tsp.

method:

grind coconut, onion(6 to 7 onions only) and tomato to make a paste. Mix the ground mixture with tamarind extract. Then add chilly powder, coriander powder, turmaric powder and salt. Mix them all together and check the taste.

Place the vessel on stove top and add some gingelly oil. when the oil is ready add some mustard seeds, let them pop, then add methi seeds, curry leaves and a green chilly(optional). Now add the remaining onions . If you are using small onions you can add it entirely or half cut. fry the onions till golden brown then add the gravy mixture. Let it boil well. when it smells nice add the fish and cook for 5 to 10 minutes then switch off the stove. add a big spoon ful of gingelly oil and close the gravy with a lid.

Nithi
31st January 2006, 07:45 PM

Thanks so much for sharing the recipe and your time. Your recipe is probably much closer to cooking at my home back in Tamil Nadu. That's good. I basically wanted something that's very close to home-style cooking from TN.
Thanks so much!

Nithila.

VK Narayanan
4th February 2006, 01:14 AM
Thanks so much for sharing the recipe and your time. Your recipe is probably much closer to cooking at my home back in Tamil Nadu. That's good. I basically wanted something that's very close to home-style cooking from TN.
Thanks so much!

Nithila.

Nithila - here is one more picture of the fish curry that you are looking for - http://mydhaba.blogspot.com/2006/01/fish-curry-2.html

Nithi
13th February 2006, 11:48 PM
hi nithila

Deepapriya, I tried your recipe. It came out great! But I toned down the spices and used more of coconut cream. Thanks so much for the recipe!

VKN, Thanks so much for your recipe too. I'd love to try it also, sometime as I get better at cooking. I also did find some other great recipes on your blogspot!!

Deepapriya
15th February 2006, 09:21 AM
If you enjoyed my recipe that is great.
Buy.