PDA

View Full Version : Silverware?

Alan
19th January 2006, 08:55 AM
Can someone tell me how to clean silver statues?

I have a couple of bronze & silver showpieces. I was told that tamarind or "bhasmam" ( don't know where to get that) is used to clean bronze/brass ware. But silver? Can I use detergent?

Thanks in advance!

Lambretta
19th January 2006, 09:42 AM
Cud it be tat "Bhasmam" = Ash? (I mean as in Ashes, not the u-know-who Ash! :wink: :P )

Sandeep
19th January 2006, 10:53 AM
//bhasmam//

Bhasmam is what you apply on forehead (dried cow dung powder).

If you want to buy it you should try some store where Puja goods are sold.

rajraj
19th January 2006, 11:07 AM
Alan,
Here is a website that has some tips.

http://www.tellmehowto.net/article172.html

All you have to do is google search for cleaning silverware. You will get more than what you need! :)

Lambretta
19th January 2006, 11:40 AM
//bhasmam//

Bhasmam is what you apply on forehead (dried cow dung powder).
:shock: Surely u don't mean the 'Vibhuti' tat ppl. apply to their foreheads?!!! :oops:
Btw Alan, I rem. there used to be this silver polish called 'Silvo' (Brasso is for Brass)......not sure if its still available.....

Sandeep
19th January 2006, 11:43 AM
:shock: Surely u don't mean the 'Vibhuti' tat ppl. apply to their foreheads?!!! :oops:

Ah thats the word "Vibhuthi". Thats exactly what I mean.

Alan
19th January 2006, 12:00 PM
Thanks rajraj, Lamby & Sandeep. I'll check those out.
Toothpaste seems to be the easiest thing available righjt now ( rajraj's link)

Shakthiprabha.
19th January 2006, 04:34 PM
For silver....

Toothpaste
Viboothi are famous cleansers.

I feel BRASSO is excellent for brass shines. It shines as good as new (Ive tried it)

Lambretta
19th January 2006, 06:27 PM

Ah thats the word "Vibhuthi". Thats exactly what I mean.
:shock: eyucccccccck!!!HOLY S***!!! (literally in this case!)
Good thing I was never in the habit of applying it! :roll: :oops:

Shakthiprabha.
19th January 2006, 07:57 PM
:roll: :oops:

Whenever I apply 'holy *****' to my silverware I WOULD REMEMBER Lambretta NOW. :roll:

Lambretta
19th January 2006, 09:20 PM

Whenever I apply 'holy *****' to my silverware I WOULD REMEMBER Lambretta NOW. :roll:
Ohh....tks SP, I'm touched to know tat! :D :notworthy: :lol:
To add an effect, I suggest u also rem. the characteristic drone of the Lambretta's exhaust! :wink: :lol:

davie
20th January 2006, 08:22 AM

Ohh....tks SP, I'm touched to know tat! :D :notworthy: :lol:
To add an effect, I suggest u also rem. the characteristic drone of the Lambretta's exhaust! :wink: :lol:

I was reading the article in Hindu, the used lamby costs as much as 1000 rupees, $20 :lol:, good enough to navigate Chennai many many times.

Alan
20th January 2006, 08:49 AM
For silver....

Toothpaste

I feel BRASSO is excellent for brass shines. It shines as good as new (Ive tried it)

Thanks Mam!

Alan
20th January 2006, 09:06 AM
For silver....

Toothpaste

Thanks Mam!

Lambretta
20th January 2006, 09:11 AM
I was reading the article in Hindu, the used lamby costs as much as 1000 rupees, $20 :lol:, good enough to navigate Chennai many many times.
Yea, if u can afford to fill it up throughout ur journey many many times (considering the not-too-high mileage). :lol:

Anoushka
20th January 2006, 03:31 PM
Lamby: When I was in India we were talking about different trips that we made years ago and my dad mentioned that he used to put petrol worth 5 Rs for his lamby and then top it up with Kerosene (that was all he could afford) and then drive all the way to Sathanur from Madras :)

Lambretta
20th January 2006, 06:16 PM
*DIGR (Sorry Alan!)*
Rs. 5 worth?? Tat must've been in the '80s...?
It happens to be Rs.50 per litre now! :P :lol:
But adding kerosene, altho a common & cheaper alternative, is sumthing tat I'm strictly against, as it tends to damage the engine & also causes pollution....!
Neways, tats 'nuff abt Lambrettas I guess......poor Alan, let's not psyche him out in his thread! :wink: :D

Anoushka
20th January 2006, 07:09 PM
Sorry Alan ...

*DIGR*
Lamby that was in the '70s... and as I said that was all my dad could afford then, now he works for a petroleum company :lol:

*End DIGR*

Alan
21st January 2006, 09:33 AM
I'm throwing you two out from here. How dare you hijack my thread????

Lambretta
21st January 2006, 10:40 AM
I'm throwing you two out from here. How dare you hijack my thread????
:lol:
Btw, cud u really throw out a Lambretta?? I mean, they're quite heavy (130kg gross wt.)......ok ok, jus kidding, tats it from me! Don't get pissed ne more! :lol:

Alan
22nd January 2006, 10:27 AM
GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR..............

Don't play with a Punjabi sher!

Lambretta
22nd January 2006, 11:24 AM
GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR..............

Don't play with a Punjabi sher!
Yea, I'd rather play w/ a Punjaban Sherni......they're mostly better-looking! :wink: :lol:
Hey......kidding again, yaar! No hard feelings!
And a final sorry for digressing in ur thread! :D

So......found a good silver polish?? Btw, jus thot- y don't u try sum imported stuff, I'm sure u get those in the big malls in Delhi?? I know u get things like chrome polish (for alloy wheels of cars) over there.......