PDA

View Full Version : Diet for ppl with uric acid.

Alan
19th January 2006, 09:06 AM
Yesterday, I found out that my uric acid level is on the upper limit ( 6.6) So, I have to reduce it. Can someone tell me recipes with no protein, I have to avoid chaana, all kinds of pulses, milk & milk products, cauliflower etc. Should I exclude mushrooms & eggs as well?

Alan
20th January 2006, 09:19 AM
helloooooo

Anoushka
20th January 2006, 02:47 PM
Hi Alan, as far as I know eggs have high protien content as well so eggs would be out :( I am not sure about mushrooms

dev
20th January 2006, 04:28 PM
Mushrooms too r rich in protein...

ash_970
20th January 2006, 08:28 PM
Hi Alan,
I had gone through similar phase...the possible reason could be sudden change in your life style..eg. have u started doing strenous exercise or have you increased your alchohol intake lately,
because this could be the major cause so
with maintaining the healthy diet and light exercise your uric acid will get normal.
In case you drink I would request to stop totally as even a small amount of beer can also trigger the increase in uric acid level.
Hope this helps

dev
21st January 2006, 08:21 AM
Can one test uric acid level on their own?. If yes, what is the procedure?.

Alan
25th January 2006, 11:08 PM
Thanks Anu & dev

Alan
25th January 2006, 11:10 PM
Can one test uric acid level on their own?. If yes, what is the procedure?.

No- you have to go to a lab for it & get the urine tested.

Alan
25th January 2006, 11:14 PM
Hi Alan,
I had gone through similar phase...the possible reason could be sudden change in your life style..eg. have u started doing strenous exercise or have you increased your alchohol intake lately,
because this could be the major cause so
with maintaining the healthy diet and light exercise your uric acid will get normal.
In case you drink I would request to stop totally as even a small amount of beer can also trigger the increase in uric acid level.
Hope this helps

Hello ash!

I don't drink at all- just home-made wine at my Chritian friends' places , that too for christmas or Easter.

Well, I have started exercise- but I had no idea it could increase the uric acid level in the body- because I have like gallons of water every day........so its really puzzling!

ash_970
26th January 2006, 10:45 PM
Hi Alan,

The uric acid indicates excessive turnover /breakdown of cells in

the body it has nothing to do how much water we drink.

So if your cell turnover is above normall the cell break down results in high break down products coming in the blood plasma through the break down of neuclic material of the cell.

The oral protein in-take has a minimal effect on the plasma uric acid levels and should not be significant.

keep an eye and get it checked regularly.

I hope the explanation helps........

ssanjinika
26th January 2006, 10:57 PM
What are the potential risks of increased uric acid levels?I mean is it dangerous or could lead to something more serious?

ash_970
27th January 2006, 05:19 PM
Risks...

Pretty much first it's an indication of high turnover of cells and indication of some problem in metabolism / system ..

High uric acid can precipitate severe gaout if not controlled in right time.

U run the risk of having kidney stones

This is not something one should neglect and sleep over it....

Not trying to scare but one should give a wake up call to oneself...

rain
28th January 2006, 06:54 AM
had no idea that uric acid symptons can emerge early and at young ages too.was browsing and thot this might be useful:

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/uric-acid/AN01122

http://www.dialadietitian.org/media/downloads/resources/handouts/goutdiet.pdf

alan,

looks like spinach,mushroom,dried peas, also have high purine content and so has to be moderately taken for uric acid.but cheer up!! there are countless vegetables and cereals u can choose from even if they don't appear to be the standard ones.and i was glad to see that for once the disfavoured potato is not the bad guy here.(i hope!)

regards,
rain

Alan
12th February 2006, 02:49 PM
Thanks a lot, guys!