PDA

View Full Version : Keeping up with Vegetarianism in the West

goodsense
23rd January 2006, 09:47 AM
Many people are not really use to eating meat, fish or chicken before moving to the west where they become bombarded by it. A real problem is, how do you cope when you are on an outing and very hungry, but have no access to vegetarion meals or snacks? Is there any cravings for the meat, fish and chicken around you and how do you abstain from such cravings?

Any wide selections of vegetarion foods with high source of proteins other than the different lentils (which could take long to cook - see I am afraid of pressure cookers) and tofu?

Lambretta
24th January 2006, 04:24 PM
Being veg'an, I've faced a similar problem when I was in Singapore........except for "Little India" u don't hav much chances of getting abundant veg. food over there.......so I was allowed to cook in the house where I lived......when I went out I wud normally go to a McDonalds there but all I cud hav was French Fries! Then one day i went to KFC w/ sum friends (I didn't believe they'd hav nething veg.) & saw tat they served cheese fries.....I really liked these & so when I went out I now began to look out for KFCs in those areas & hav 2 packets of cheese fries! :)
This of course tended to get boring in due course of time. but I was left w/ no option.....& I cud never bring myself to swicth over to NV! :)
At times when I visited "Mustafa's" Shopping mall at Little India, I wud buy packets of frozen veg. cutlets (which were US made!), tat jus cud be either oven-heated or stove-heated......but again, these got boring in due course of time! :P
Still, I wud suggest u try these, I'm sure u'd get them in Canada (isn't tat where u live?) as well.

Raghu
24th January 2006, 09:41 PM
I am also a vegetarion , well I only gave up eating non vegs in the last 5 years, since then I have had many hard times when it comes to food during office hrs or when I am out, but if u have strong will u can over come any problems, when there is a will there is a way.

any way, ellam Isan seyal

goodsense
24th January 2006, 10:42 PM
[tscii:752cae3e07]My problem is a bit more complicated. I was put on a high protein diet a little while ago. My GP suggested fish and chicken. I decided to substitute that with a variety of dhal and other lentils and I have added tofu. I do get bored sometimes as Lambretta shared. In addition to that, with a busy life and living on my own, it’s easier and cheaper to eat out than in, and you save lots of time.

The choices of food outside are wide and while vegetarian foods are available e.g. noodles and rice on their own with some vegetables, the source of protein is poor. This is the problem in central Toronto, unless you go out a bit more to the east where you get full Indian vegetarian foods with good protein sources.

I have to confess, during certain periods of boredom and desperation, I have allowed temptation to take grip of me. It happened mainly at McDonalds too. :x When I get bored now and then with veg foods, I crave for the non-veg. After I overcome my boredom in this fashion, I feel aggrieved, because it means I can't go to my altar for days, I feel less valued etc. and other things start to go wrong. I am just getting over this since the Christmas holidays (visited some people who had similar foods around me although they know that I am a vegetarian when they invited me). I really don't want to fall back into this mess :(

But Lambretta, those fries from McDonalds and KFC, are they cooked in meat, fish and poultry oils?[/tscii:752cae3e07]

Lambretta
24th January 2006, 10:57 PM
My GP suggested fish and chicken. I decided to substitute that with a variety of dhal and other lentils and I have added tofu.
Well, dals r good subs. for proteins no doubt......but as a Last resort, I wudn't think nething wrong in having hard boiled eggs (jus the white) as well.....

But Lambretta, those fries from McDonals and KFC, are they cooked in meat, fish and poultry oils?
Um.....yea I do rem. being told this abt the fries in McDs once....another reason y I stopped going there! :oops:
But not sure abt KFCs........& even if they were, I had no other option, as I said....! :huh: :(
'had a terrible time then! Like u, even I was living on my own then & just learnt how to cook.....even tat wud take time so it was mostly for dinner.......sumtimes I'd get frustrated when my cooking din't turn out well & then go out for the cheese fries @ KFC & go to sleep having eaten jus those (& sumtimes sum fruits I had...even those turned out to be boring often!).......watever said & done, I guess India is the only safe haven for strict/conventional veg'ans! :(

goodsense
24th January 2006, 11:13 PM
That McDonalds and even Harveys have a strong influence in the west. My cousin in the US and I always have good laughs about this. Just a day or two after Christmas, people flock these places as if they were starving for days being kept indoors. They behave like penned up sheep finally being released from a pen :lol:

Lambretta
24th January 2006, 11:27 PM
That McDonalds and even Harveys have a strong influence in the west. My cousin in the US and I always have good laughs about this. Just a day or two after Christmas, people flock these places as if they were starving for days being kept indoors. They behave like penned up sheep finally being released from a pen :lol:
Actually tat jus shows their giving in to hardcore consumerism.......pity! :shock: :(
I guess this makes it no surprise abt increasing obesity in the US! :roll:

goodsense
25th January 2006, 12:03 AM
[tscii:1b93f5b4c3]It’s true, if you observe the way they eat - very quickly they gobble up a large burger (two bites and its gone) with, large fries and drink and ready to make another order :lol:[/tscii:1b93f5b4c3]

dev
25th January 2006, 07:51 AM
goodsense,

If U can cook & if u can spend around 2- 21/2 hrs a week for cooking, you can make ur own high protein veg food... Since U r afraid of pressure cookers, soak the dhals overnight(4-5 types,seperately-sprout it if u prefer to)as it helps faster cooking...I belive U have a 3-4 burner stove... if yes, U can cook 3-4 dhals at the same time... put it in deep vessels with enough water (the lid a bit open) & let it cook on medium flame for 1/2 hr -45 mins(depends on the dhals U use)... U can carry on with any other work coz U don't need frquent monitoring... once done, drain the excess water if any,let cool & U can store these dhals in the fridge for a few days(a week max) & cook when req OR prepare the dhals as U normally do & u can store it in the fridge... Dhals,if prepared properly can stay good for 2 days without refrideration & for the weather in Canada, U shouldn't be having much problems with storing cooked food...

I don't find much options here in Singapore other than to go searching for an Indian restaurent or to look for an Italian restaurent where U can find some veg Pizza & stuff... Though there r a few chinese veg stalls in some food courts, I don't find it appealing...Luckily for me, we've a new Indian restaurent opened in our neighbourhood(Lamby, it's at the junction of pasir panjang rd & South Buona vista rd...I guess U would've stayed somewhere around this place had U been with NUS) Ethiopian cuisine too have some veg options like some pancakes(looks almost like dosas) & some kind of lentil chuneys & stuff... I found their cuisine to be very similar to Indian cuisine... Try it out if you can find one in ur neighbourhood...

Badri
25th January 2006, 08:33 AM
Goodsense and Lamby: You could ask in KFC of MCDee's what oil their fries are cooked in. There is an increasing awareness of Vegetarianism these days, and many large food corporations are respecting the need for people to choose their dietstlye.

For instance, the pizza cheese we eat often uses Rennet as a setting enzyme which is derived from the stomach lining of calves. The usual method is killing the calves to get this stomach lining. Among the greatest sins of Hinduism is eating beef! Yet, while we eat pizzas happily, the cheese may well be made with rennet!

But now, pizza makers too are recognizing this. For instance, Pizza Hut now uses microbial rennet, which is different from animal rennet. Alternatively, you could ask for cheeses without animal rennet - like Feta or Ricotta.

So, I think it is getting easier these days to be vegetarian and eat out!

dev
25th January 2006, 08:58 AM
I've once asked the KFC guys here in SG abt the oil used & they said it's food grade veg oil which is of non-animal origin and do not contain trans fatty acids...

goodsense
25th January 2006, 10:34 PM
Dev,

Thanks for taking the time to give all those instructions. I am sure it will help. I often leave food cooking with little monitoring while I attend to others things. There are times I am less fortunate, forget and burn my food. But here, its a question of feeling real hungry and the cooking is taking a long time.

I will try soaking a few different types of dhals before. I tried doing it one with the yellow split pease, but it seems as if the taste is not as nice as when it is cooked without soaking.

sbadri99,

Do you think McDonals and such similar places would be honest about what they do behind the counter? More than likely they do deep frying of beef burglers etc. in the same oils they do the fries. It must be convenient and cost effective for them.

Now that I have discussed this problem, I hope it will give me some incentive to stay away from such places.

I am sure all Hindus consciously avoid beef and have never eaten it. But now I will be more conscious.

Lambretta
25th January 2006, 10:43 PM
I am sure all Hindus consciously avoid beef and have never eaten it.
Not nec'ly.....I've heard of many (& even met sum) who've eaten beef while abroad, unknowingly (thinking it was sum other meat) or sum others even willingly, deciding to 'change' themselves once they've moved abroad.......neways, not sumthing quite relevant to this secn. so will leave it here....:)

goodsense
25th January 2006, 11:22 PM
Sorry Dev. I missed the point about cooking a few different types and store it away for the week.

Actually, given the way things are, I was thinking to hire a live in maid in the near future to do all this. We will see :wink:

Badri,

I will try the cheese.

Anoushka
1st February 2006, 05:10 PM
Many people are not really use to eating meat, fish or chicken before moving to the west where they become bombarded by it. A real problem is, how do you cope when you are on an outing and very hungry, but have no access to vegetarion meals or snacks? Is there any cravings for the meat, fish and chicken around you and how do you abstain from such cravings?

Any wide selections of vegetarion foods with high source of proteins other than the different lentils (which could take long to cook - see I am afraid of pressure cookers) and tofu?

Goodsense: Finding veg snacks should not be a problem! Most shops stock fresh fruits and veg. Fruits come in handy as snacks when travelling. Most countries have lovely varieties of yoghurt too, so that helps as a good, healthy snack as well.

Try making a bowl of salad and carrying it with you, a simple salad like tomato, lettuce, cucumber, onion, olives, capsicum, feta cheese with some salt and pepper will be a good snack.

Plenty of fresh juices and smothies are available as well. Do check out if they contain sugar though (only if you are like me and are avoiding sugar :) )

You can get plenty of variety of bread, biscuits, tortilla (which my husband substitues for chappati when I am out of town) in most super markets. A simple veg sandwich (if you don't eat cheese) can be a good snack though... if you are particular about your healthy diet, use brown bread instead of white!

My husband is a vegetarian and when he landed here it was difficult to get vegetarian food in the country side when we went travelling, sometimes all he would get would be some chips, a bowl of soup and some boiled veg!

I would suggest carrying some sort of snack with you when you are travelling if you think veg food will not be available to you where you are going.

kavikuil
7th February 2006, 03:23 AM
A real problem is, how do you cope when you are on an outing and very hungry, but have no access to vegetarion meals or snacks? Is there any cravings for the meat, fish and chicken around you and how do you abstain from such cravings?

Though I'm not a vegetarian now, I was one for two years and do know what you are talking about. But these days, there are veggie options everywhere.

But to be honest, if you are 'craving' for chicken or fish or tempted to eat it because other people around you are eating that, I'd say, go ahead and try it to see if you like. There's nothing wrong in eating non-veg IF you want to eat it.

But if you dont want to eat non-veg, then yes, you can use the foln ideas.

Before you go on a outing, make sure you have had a full breakfast. Many of us forego breakfast and making choices at lunch become difficult.

Ask for a salad. Almost all places have salads. It doesnt hurt to ask the waiter what vegetarian choices you have. They go through this question on daily basis and would have a workable solution for you, even if they dont have it on the menu.

At a burger joint, Ask for a garden burger or boca burger or a veggie burger. Many resturant have vegetarian burgers.

Pizza places will gladly put vegetarian fillings on your pizza, if you ask.

If you are at a chinese restaurant, you can ask them to make a stir-fry for you (even if its not on the menu) with only vegetables and no eggs (if you dont eat eggs).

Italian restaurants have many vegetarian choices. They have an grilled eggplant sandwich, which is to die for.

American restaurants will have some form of potatoes - along with every meal. Ask for salads on the side. Btw, An American cheeseburger is not a veggie burger, but a beef burger with cheese. Watch out!

If nothing works, munch on the apple/snacks from your backpack till your find a subway or a sandwich bar on your way! Pack a bagel/sandwich from home, just incase.

Soak lentils before you cook for about an hour. cooking time is lessened in half this way. Wash well before soaking and use the same water they are soaked in, for cooking. Harder lentils like rajma/channa etc can be soaked overnight or you can use tinned stuff.

Mealmaker/soy chunks are excellent protein too. Cheese / Paneer are excellent protein choices. Soy burgers/boca burgers are available in almost all grocery stores.

You can toast bread and top it with tomatoes, onions, green peppers and cheese and add a dash of salt and pepper. Nuke it in the microwave till the cheese melts. An easy and tasty pizza!

HTH!

rajshank
1st March 2006, 03:48 AM
Hey guys,

Before we go out on an outing somewhere in the US, we usually check the following website, which elaborately lists out the veggie stuff that is available in various restaurants.

http://www.vegetarian-restaurants.net/OtherInfo/FastFoodRest.htm

The safest bet for us always is a Subway "footlong with veggie pattie" Make sure you ask for veggie pattie and then u have the choice of vegetables and ranch dressings. We also get Cheese pizza, spinach pizza & veggie garden pizza at a local pizzeria called CiCi's Pizza. The chinese restaurant Panda is also good source of veggie food. But the best that bot me & my like is the 2 Thai restaurants that we have here...Thai Kitchen and the second one is Silk Road. Both of them have a seperate page of veggie soups, starters and entrees listed on the menu. We don't have to tell the waiter to avoid any meat, beef, pork, fish or eggs. And thats why we love these Thai restaurants. Another option if you like Italian food is Olive garden. Our fave dish there is the "Eggplant Parmigiana". and the minestrone soup is also decent. Other restaurants that we have tried for veggie stuff is Taco Bell, Ihops, Applebees, Pizza Hut, Burger King (ask for veggie whopper).

Some of these have eggs, so make sure that you ask them if you don't eat eggs. Hope this helps...

If you all can also suggest some restaurants like this, it would be highly appreciated...

Rajshank