PDA

View Full Version : Telugu food.

skanthan
23rd January 2006, 11:25 PM
I have been told that Telugu food is the hottest of all Indian food. It is so hot that even most other Indians cannot stand it. I have eaten Telugu food and I did not find it so hot. Please can someone tell me which area of Andhra Pradesh and other parts of South India is home to the hottest Indian food? Thank you.

Alan
26th January 2006, 10:41 AM
Even I haven't found it too hot- I like that special 'podi' they serve along with rice & ghee, when you go to hotels!

sailu
26th January 2006, 10:47 AM
skanthan,

Most common Indian foods generally use more spices (or spice blends or mix) than many other world cuisines.
If you speaking of Telugu food being spicy..its basically spicer than North Indian food and particulary in Guntur (biggest grower and exporter of red chillis in India)district of A.P you will that the locals in that area use more spice(chillis) in their food than the other regions of the state.
A lot depends on each home which uses different blend of spices according to personal and regional preferences.But on an average most Andhra homes use generally accepted levels of spice as far as I know.

skanthan
26th January 2006, 05:31 PM
Thank you(dhanyavaadhulu), sailu!

sailu
26th January 2006, 08:17 PM
Your most welcome..:)

gaddeswarup
27th January 2006, 04:04 AM
Just a small addition to what Sailu has said. I am originally from guntur District but have been out of A.P. from 1956. Some of the spice mixtures used vary from caste to caste. My favourites still are avakaya, gongulra picles and something called "Sambaru Karamu". The last is common with Kamma families in Krishna and Guntur districts. It has nothing to with Sambar; it is mostly roasted chilli powder mixed with coriander and other spices and is used in fried curries and can be eaten with Idli and other snacks. It goes well with pizza too. Priya pickles market something called 'kurakaram' which is an approximation and does not taste as well. I still carry "Sambaqru Karamu" on my trips.
swarup

skanthan
27th January 2006, 04:26 AM
That sounds really hot! :o WOW!!!

I know what it is like to accidentally bite into a hot chili which has been cooked into food. It sure can wake a person up. I remember eating five big tablespoons of sugar and drinking hot water just to put the "fire" out. Ouch! :lol2:

skanthan
28th January 2006, 07:55 PM
Sailu gaaru!

My mouth watered after reading some of your recipies and looking at pictures of some of the dishes! I just LOVE pulihora! pulihora baagundha! :D

sailu
29th January 2006, 02:37 AM
Skanthan,I am glad you enjoyed reading them...you should try out some recipes too..:)

Lambretta
1st February 2006, 08:53 AM
Skan,
IMHO, the pickles & chutneys r the hottest items in Telugu food! :D

skanthan
1st February 2006, 09:14 AM
Thank you Sailu and Lambretta! :D

sailu
1st February 2006, 09:18 AM
Your welcome,skanthan.

Deepapriya
15th February 2006, 09:38 AM
Hello sailu,

I am going to try your cauliflower-tomato-curry today. I will tell you later how it has come.
Thankyou
Deepapriya

a@thehub
20th February 2006, 10:53 PM
Avakkkaya's mmmmm...

Andhra Avakkaya is one of the best pickles in the world :-)

Deepapriya
23rd February 2006, 09:22 AM
Dear Sailu,

I tried your cauliflower tomato curry. But the taste and the flavour were same to a different recepie that I've got from other site in the name of Indian spiced cauliflower. There were some difference but not much.