PDA

View Full Version : Thalayai Kuniyum Thamaraayai (remaster) download

prashanth12
25th January 2006, 07:51 AM
Hello people. I've been seeing a lot of people praising this osng but complaining they couldn't find it anywhere since it is pretty old.. So just for anyone who doesn't have this classic IR gem, here it is.

http://as01.cooltoad.com/music/song.php?id=230021

I did a little remastering myself on the track so it wouldn't sound as, well, old, though you can obviously still hear some of the crackles and such.

vijayr
25th January 2006, 11:03 AM
I was looking for this too. The quality was actually pretty good compared to what I have heard earlier, thanks. Pl. upload some more such oldies,if you have already have them remastered. Enakkaaga kaathiru,for instance,would be worth remastering.

Shankar
25th January 2006, 11:29 AM
Can you remaster Eeravizhi kAviyangaL ? I can give you the originals.

prashanth12
25th January 2006, 09:24 PM
Hi guys,

I will try remastering what you have indicated and maybe some more, if you have any other great oldies post em here and I'll try them too.

(Kind of funny, the reason I initially thought of remastering this one a bit was because I liked the mirudhangam so much and wanted to make it more clear)

vijayr
25th January 2006, 10:54 PM
prashanth, from what source are you gettins these songs from to begin with? do you have LPs of old songs or from cassettes?

prashanth12
26th January 2006, 03:05 AM
No, it's not like I have a stash of old songs or anything. I have some CDs from some friends of these things but mostly I just get it online. For instance, this particular song, Thalayai Kuniyum Thaamaraye took 3 days of searching the internet until I finally could find it (i think the website doesn't work anymore though).

cry_sandiego
26th January 2006, 06:06 AM
Wov.

How about " Kanden Engum Pomagal " from " kaatrinil varum geetham.. I recently bought a CD called "Aaaramba kaala Ilaiyaraajavin Paadalgal" .. (SaReGaMa CD ) .. it has this great classic but quality is so so.

thanks
MSK

prashanth12
26th January 2006, 07:47 AM
Do you have any of these songs on computer? it would make it easier, and after I finally found a version of "Kanden Engum" the link was dead :(

Shankar, if you have th eoriginals for the songs you indicated, please send them to prashanth1989@gmail.com

vijayr
26th January 2006, 11:50 AM
prashanth, do you use software like Goldwave or Cooledit? have noticed that if the original is pretty bad there is little these apps could do. Maybe, apart from the hisses, your original of thalayai kuniyum wasnt all that bad? anyways quite some time back I had uploaded some rare early IR songs in coolgoose. here is the link to my collection
http://as01.cooltoad.com/go/music?user=rvanand&go=1

you could use some of the songs there for remastering if you need any. For instance, the very first song from Moodupani could use some remastering. Let me know. I have some real bad quality files that I can send you :-)

prashanth12
26th January 2006, 09:32 PM
I use Steinberg WaveLab and a variety of plugins.

As for the original, it depends on what you view as bad. For instance, I downloaded Kanavil Mithakkum to try and remaster it, but it was recorded at too low quality, the entire thing is blanketed by crackles, and the instruments and voices aren't recorded that well either. It's hard to remaster these songs because there's only so far you can rely on your own remastering instead of the actual recorded quality of the song. The first song (thalayai kuniyum) I did was somewhat poor quality meaning that there were a few artifacts, but the point of remastering was to make the instruments and voices sound more crisp because in the original they sound muffled and such. (what you would expect old songs to sound like)

vijayr
26th January 2006, 10:04 PM
prashanth, I can send you some selected files then which I think would be worth remastering based on what you say. Let me know whats the easiest way to send them, coolgoose is kind of slow. Or if you prefer coolgoose, I can point out songs there that need remastering. If you can remaster even 5-10 songs depending on your convenience/time it would be worth the effort.

prashanth12
26th January 2006, 10:14 PM
You can send them to the email I use for files prashanth1989@gmail.com

vijayr
27th January 2006, 10:11 AM
I downloaded some legal mp3s of old hindi KJY songs and tamil oldies from here
http://www.brasianbeats.com/search/?search=manzil&go.x=0&go.y=0&go=GO

almost a dollar/song but worth it as they were oldies and in good quality. I wish companies like Inreco, Oriental etc. did the same by uploading decent quality mp3s of these old IR albums for a price. Wishful thinking. If anyone knows more sites where such downloads for Indian/Tamil film and non-filmi music are available, pl let know.

vijayr
27th January 2006, 10:25 AM
prashanth,have a small suggestion. after remastering can you UL them as 128kbps files instead of 256kbps as this lessens file size. I reduced the file size of the one you upload earlier and it didnt affect the quality.

vijayr
28th January 2006, 09:43 AM
prashanth, sent 3 files yesterday. Did you receive them ?

prashanth12
28th January 2006, 09:07 PM
Yep, sorry, I haven't had a chance to try anything out on them, as soon as I have some free time.....

cry_sandiego
1st February 2006, 10:06 AM
Prashanth and others,

Incidentally , I just listened to "Chinna Kannan Azhaikiran " .. ( was pleasantly surprised to hear a SJ version in the CD along with BMK's ).. which is also ReetiGowlai... Both songs start with the kalyana Nadhaswaram/Thavil opening..and pretty close in rhythm as well.. any connections with ReetiGowlai ?

BTW, the SJ version had a lot of subtle variations from the BMK version ..especially when SJ slides over " Kangal solkindra Kavithai ..Ila Vayathil.." .. I liked that better than BMK version

Cheers
MSK

prashanth12
2nd February 2006, 07:53 AM
Both songs start with the kalyana Nadhaswaram/Thavil opening.

Thalayai Kuniyum starts with more of a Nadhaswaram/"Mridangam -> Thavil" opening. (Yeah, I know, a little thing to nitpick about)