PDA

View Full Version : DOES GOD SEEM TO EXIST DURING OUR BAD TIMES

pooja.shankar
26th January 2006, 10:12 AM
[tscii:793726352d]How can God help me when I'm in the midst of depression?

When one is in the middle of severe clinical depression, it is difficult, even impossible, to experience God's reality, let alone God's help. At least, that is the way it has been for me. But, at the same time, I have found myself in the middle of depression crying out for mercy with some of the most earnest prayers I have ever prayed. So I find it hard to know whether I do or do not believe in God when I am deeply depressed! Perhaps the answer is that my ravaged mind rails against even the idea of God, but something deeper in me calls out as if God might answer. "There are no atheists in foxholes," I guess, and depression is the deepest and deadliest foxhole I've ever been in. It may be the "dark night of the soul" that the mystics talk about—but in depression it is not so much that one becomes lost in the dark as that one becomes the dark. I have never been able to "do theology" when I am in that state; the best I've ever been able to do is to hang on. Only later, in the light of day, am I able to understand that God walked with me in that darkness even though I could not feel God's presence at the time.

[/tscii:793726352d]

dev
26th January 2006, 10:17 AM
Depression... a deadly disorder... I've read a bit abt it as psychology is one of my area of interest... U've lots of treatments available these days... Let us know how you got rid of it...

great
26th January 2006, 10:26 AM
before going on to the topic,lemme putforth the following points
do you guyz beleive god really exists
or its supernatural thing which drives us ...

dev
26th January 2006, 10:46 AM
great,
I guess this topic has already been discussed under "Does God exist?" thread...

great
26th January 2006, 10:49 AM
great,
I guess this topic has already been discussed under "Does God exist?" thread...
oh !!

pooja.shankar
26th January 2006, 03:01 PM
hmm ......god does exist ....he doesnt seem to help ...is the new discussion DEV

dev
26th January 2006, 04:56 PM
hmm ......god does exist ....he doesnt seem to help ...is the new discussion DEV

I believe our sufferings are the result of our karma(I call it our balancesheet)... We have to undergo the outcome of our karma,be it good or bad...

What do u mean by "is the new discussion DEV"??????!!!!!! :roll:

Alien
26th January 2006, 06:44 PM
"God does exist.....he doesn't seem to help" - is the new discussion(this thread) DEV !
I think this is what she means ! 8-)

dev
26th January 2006, 07:59 PM
Thanks Vasanth... Vara vara enaku english to english interpreter vendiyatha poidichu... :roll: :lol: :twisted:

goodsense
26th January 2006, 09:38 PM
What about some of the HORRIBLE things some people do to us - is it becasue of our Karma? :evil:

pooja.shankar
26th January 2006, 10:47 PM

I believe our sufferings are the result of our karma(I call it our balancesheet)... We have to undergo the outcome of our karma,be it good or bad...

it was a reply for u .....

u sid earlier ......this topid has already been discussed under DOES GOD EXIST ....

dev
27th January 2006, 06:36 AM
What about some of the HORRIBLE things some people do to us - is it becasue of our Karma? :evil:

I believe so...:)

goodsense
27th January 2006, 07:47 AM
If Karma is the only explanation for suffering, what is the explanation for the "first case" of the wrong doer since we are talking cause effect here?

Then also, according to your theory, we should not have laws or law abiding citizens. Just let every one do what they want and leave it up to the justification of Karma. I wonder why people like Ghaniji did not think this way :roll:

goodsense
27th January 2006, 07:59 AM
I wonder why too we have the "distinction" between "natural" and "unnatural causes".

Of course God exist during bad times and we also believe that Karma can take effect at any time, not necessarily relating to last birth(s) only. Sometimes God let it be because he wants to prepare us for what is coming to his glory. At other times, he leaves it because of our Karma, a rule applied to all equally which must be observed, because God has no favouritism. He cries when we cry too, no matter how right or wrong we are. God! I feel like a spiritualist explaining here 8-)

dev
27th January 2006, 09:13 AM
If Karma is the only explanation for suffering, what is the explanation for the "first case" of the wrong doer since we are talking cause effect here?

I don't say that Karma is the only explanation for suffering or happiness... But that is what my belief is...

Eventhough there r man made laws & stuff, not everyone abides by it... Not all laws are right nor are all law evaders are taken into task... Laws doesn't help in the real betterment of humanity... it's self-realisation that'll help...

pooja.shankar
27th January 2006, 01:58 PM
hmm....how many of u have gone thru depression times and felt ..even god doesnt seem to help u

goodsense
27th January 2006, 02:41 PM
God's children are o supposed to reach to a stage of illusion or depression. There is a part in the Bhavat Gita that explains how this (illusion and depression) can be avoided in the first place :) I was trying to find it for you, but it is taking a bit of time. Even so, pages of the Gita vary from print to print, so I would not be able to give you specific reference.

Think of some of the things that can cause depression.

shambhavi
27th January 2006, 06:53 PM
i think god does exist and he\she\it does help us in our times of need in the form of say friends,family etc. i think if we go in search of god we are sure to find god.

goodsense
28th January 2006, 12:33 AM
Devi, there is lots to discuss as to the Law of Karma which sets out laws which man has attempted to set out in this complicated world. A good example is the Statutes of Liberty that sanction limitations on man's actions so the rights and freedoms of another individual is not "infringed" upon. It is "knowing" the limitations and keeping within it. And of course, there are different types of karma relating to intentions and consciousness from which actions result that one is responsible for.

One can also argue that the religion in which the Law of Karma is referred to, is also man made.

If all sufferings were due to Karma, then there is no need for the Laws of Karma which set out the do's and dont's. If you (#1) do what you are not supposed to do, then you are likely affecting the life of another (#2) in a negative way, causing the suffering of that life. The person who is suffering as a result, is not necessarily suffering from his/her Karmic actions. The person who has done the act (#1) to cause this suffering (of #2) as we see it and as we are told will suffer. So we can't have two people (#1 and #2) suffering for the same thing. Can we? This is why I say, there must be more than one explanation for suffering.

dev
28th January 2006, 11:02 AM
Goodsense,
:)

P_R
28th January 2006, 12:21 PM
[tscii:a779c7ad8b]“Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is impotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Whence then is evil?” - Epicurus[/tscii:a779c7ad8b]

Shakthiprabha.
30th January 2006, 02:42 PM
KArmic actions need to be analysed with deep roots/branches.

A person 'a' can suffer,

1. because he caused hurt to so many others
2. person 'b' as unified force of all others is inflicting back the hurt upon him.

or...

3. person 'b' out of his desire to inflict hurt causes hurt to 'a'. In this case 'b' would be compensated or made to suffer as and when his karmic balace weighs down. :roll:

pooja.shankar
30th January 2006, 06:20 PM
hmmm...