PDA

View Full Version : Idli batter - how many hours maximum?

RedPepper
29th January 2006, 10:09 PM
[tscii:7154dc1073]Hi all

How long do you wait for the idli batter to ferment/rise?
Normally mine rises within 10-14 hours, and if it didn’t I will make dosa out of it or refrigerate.
I made idli batter yesterday and this is the 21st hour it didn’t rise! I kept it at room temperature all this time. Since it’s been too long, is it safe to make dosa with it? It looks ok, no color change or anything. Anyway we are hungry and have nothing else ready to eat. So we are going to make dosa and eat it. If you don’t see me posting again, guess where I am!! :D
[/tscii:7154dc1073]

Alan
30th January 2006, 02:19 PM
Well, Idli batter takes much longer to rise/ferment in winter than in summer. The room temperature itself must be very low at your place, right now. So that could be the reason.

Hope you didn't have tummy troubles afer eating unfermented dosas!

kritica
30th January 2006, 11:42 PM
well i guess... the best way is to u a magic hand.... some of us have what i called hot body... dont get me wrong....human body radiate more heat.... just use ur hand and give a mix.... then it can ferment fast.......i usually dont get that good results... but i ask my hubby to do it ... its better........

Nichiro
31st January 2006, 01:14 PM
Well, Idli batter takes much longer to rise/ferment in winter than in summer. The room temperature itself must be very low at your place, right now. So that could be the reason.

Hope you didn't have tummy troubles afer eating unfermented dosas!

Hello Alan,

Know all about Idly/Dosai batter fermentation by visiting the following link.

http://www.hemant-trivedis-cookery-corner.com/reasons.html

Nichiro

RedPepper
1st February 2006, 12:52 AM
Thank you Alan. We are safe. I was just worried about getting a food poison!!

Kritica, I do mix the batter with hands once right after grinding. Do we have to repeat this several times?

A printout of Hemantji's Idli/Dosa batter tips is in my recipe file for a long time now.

Normally the preheated oven with the oven light on (plus a green chilli with blackened stalk sometimes) work for me. But you know there are times nothing works!

My question was if it was safe to use that batter after leaving it at room temperature for about 21 hours. (My plan was to move it to the fridge after about 14 hours, but I forgot.) Anyway I experimented and proved that it is safe. But this is winter. In summer, I might not use the batter if I left it at room temperature for that long.

Anoushka
1st February 2006, 04:34 PM
I keep my idli batter in the "hot press" or where the boiler is. Because that is warm all the time it ferments easily :)

Nichiro
1st February 2006, 07:33 PM
I keep my idli batter in the "hot press" or where the boiler is. Because that is warm all the time it ferments easily :)

Anoushka,
Very clever of you (Boiler room).
I think I am gonna add this idea of your's in my website.
Thanks,
Nichiro

Anoushka
2nd February 2006, 12:19 AM
Nichiro: Thanks very much, I am glad I contributed something to your big bank of tips :)

kritica
2nd February 2006, 04:06 AM
Hey Anoushka,
U mean the furnace i dont know what is a hot press or boiler.............
Redpepper
well i mixed it atleast 4 - 5 times.........

kavikuil
3rd February 2006, 05:44 AM
This method works for me.

1. Mix the dal batter and rice batter with salt with clean hands and thoroughly mix it to get free flowing batter.

2. Preheat the oven to 375 F for 5 mins. Swith it OFF. Don't forget to switch it off.
(To clarify:I mean, the conventional oven not the microwave oven.)

3. Now cover the utensil with the idli batter, with a lid and keep it in the oven and close the door.

If you do this in the night, before you sleep, you'll have properly fermented idli batter in the morning.

I've always got good results with this method in cold areas like Michigan(US) during winter.

During summer, you can reduce the heating time.

Suja Rajkumar
3rd February 2006, 06:23 PM
I have tried this method many a times. It is fool proof. I also store the batter in a stainless steel container. Where I live it is six months of cold weather,and placing the batter in a heated oven always works. I try the same for making yogurt as well. Add the culture and place it in a preheated oven. Don't forget to switch off the oven.

Suja

Anoushka
7th February 2006, 09:11 PM
kritica, here in Ireland we have something called the hot press, it is where the boiler for the hot water is kept...

sanravi
15th May 2006, 07:42 PM
hi

when i click this site,it opens but where can i see all the recipes of hemant

http://www.hemant-trivedis-cookery-corner.com/reasons.html

sanravi
15th May 2006, 07:44 PM
hi

for the idli batter to ferment ,i used to pre heat the oven for 5 mns at 250 degrees and then keep the batter inside and if needed in between i will once again warm the oven.

this is especially used when the external temp is low eg in US winter days

ayeshasadique
16th May 2006, 11:30 PM
Thank God, I never faced this problem with fermenting :)