PDA

View Full Version : Religious Doubt

Alan
31st January 2006, 10:06 AM
Well, mostly hindu poojas etc are done to ensure long life & properity etc. Can someone tell me if there's a pooja or something that can actually take away life?

My friend's grandmother is old & bedridden. The family is wishing for her easy & fast death, because she's suffering a lot now.

Thanks in advance!

Shakthiprabha.
31st January 2006, 11:01 AM
U should ask poojaris. They would know these things better. Be sure to ask the right person, else they may loot money.

I think definteily there are poojas for early death too. not sure :(

my prayers for that old lady's soul.

Lambretta
31st January 2006, 12:24 PM
Hmm......religious mercy killing? :shock:

Alan
31st January 2006, 12:32 PM
Stop being such a cynic, Lamby. Would you want your grandmom to be bedridden for years, unable to do anything by herslf & live like a vegetable?

Badri
31st January 2006, 12:32 PM
Hmm, no doubt a wonderful opportunity for quacks to make a quick buck. Maybe it is time for the gemologists, the nameologists, the numerologists, the vastu proponents and all the others of similar ilk to give way to religous euthunasia-gists!!!

Lambretta
31st January 2006, 12:37 PM
Stop being such a cynic, Lamby. Would you want your grandmom to be bedridden for years, unable to do anything by herslf & live like a vegetable?
I wasn't intending to be cynical.....I jus feel tat even tho the person suffering is living wat isn't worth calling a life, wishing tat he/she die asap sumhow sounds so....pitiful! :(
But, IMHO, if she is likely to die neways, y not jus leave her to die on her own rather than 'making' it happen quicker, religiously or otherwise?

Lambretta
31st January 2006, 12:39 PM
Hmm, no doubt a wonderful opportunity for quacks to make a quick buck. Maybe it is time for the gemologists, the nameologists, the numerologists, the vastu proponents and all the others of similar ilk to give way to religous euthunasia-gists!!!
True Badri! Altho I doubt if they agree to perform nething tat makes a person die....? I thot only those "manthravaadhis" who perform dark magic like "shoonyam" spells etc. (as shown in films/serials) r capable of doing this?

Badri
31st January 2006, 12:42 PM
Well, if one really wants to, there are things called "maarana homams" which they say can cause an enemy to be terminated. But in most cases, it is based on enmity, not on mercy. So, you are right, even if it is true and possible, no one would willingly agree to do it.

Sandeep
31st January 2006, 02:30 PM
Alan I would say you should pray for peace to her soul rather than for her quick death.

Also try to make her last days as fun as possible (or less pain as it may be). No good poojari will do a pooja for a loved ones dead.

Even poojas for SHATHRUSAMHARAM (destruction of enemy) only strengthens you to destroy your enemy. In short you have to put in the hard work yourself.

Alan
31st January 2006, 02:33 PM
I've heard that the so called "Shatru samharam " will destroy the 'enemy' in the sense not cause death, but destroy the enemity, which means you'll become friends with him...............true?

Alan
31st January 2006, 02:34 PM
I wasn't intending to be cynical.....I jus feel tat even tho the person suffering is living wat isn't worth calling a life, wishing tat he/she die asap sumhow sounds so....pitiful! :(
But, IMHO, if she is likely to die neways, y not jus leave her to die on her own rather than 'making' it happen quicker, religiously or otherwise?

Why don't you understand that each living day is the greatest pain for her? If I hadn't seen her, I wouldn't be saying it so authoritatively.

Sandeep
31st January 2006, 02:37 PM
Yes it only helps you to destroy (not kill) the "enemy" not "enmity"

Sandeep
31st January 2006, 02:41 PM
Alan,

Its impossible even to imagine what you are feeling unless one experiences it. But options are limited, so help her live though her pain. You cannot imagine how soothing the care of a grandson could be for an old lady.

illusions
31st January 2006, 02:57 PM
how many of u subscribe to mercy killing?

Lambretta
31st January 2006, 02:59 PM
Its impossible even to imagine what you are feeling unless one experiences it. But options are limited, so help her live though her pain. You cannot imagine how soothing the care of a grandson could be for an old lady.
Exactly! Maybe she herself wants to spend the last of her days in peace, even tho she may not be in a position to express it(?)......

buddysathi
31st January 2006, 03:17 PM
Do it by yourself..My father's grandma(more than 90 yrs old) was done 'mercy-killing' by her own sister..Happened in 1950's..she was given some village poison..

Alan
31st January 2006, 05:42 PM
Everyone can't be as crude as your family. :? :?

buddysathi
31st January 2006, 06:23 PM
Isnt that ur family who works for world peace and humanity?show ur middle finger to the old dying soul and let them suffer, while u guys go hangin' pubs and malls..
WHAT A FAMILY?!?! I'll better kill myself than to be in a family like urs..

abbydoss1969
31st January 2006, 07:06 PM
Give her an oil head bath and then give tender coconut water to drink, that should do the trick.

Shakthiprabha.
31st January 2006, 11:21 PM
relax ppl.

nothing wrong in mercy killing.
Its painful to watch loved ones suffer. :(
Its my personal opinion too.

I go with buddysathi.

abbydoss's treatment is though unheard off. :?

Lambretta
31st January 2006, 11:36 PM
I go with buddysathi.
But wudn't giving poison come under murder?? :shock: I mean, this is sumthing done in villages discreetly so i guess it wudn't be legally acceptable....? :?

Shakthiprabha.
31st January 2006, 11:38 PM
Lambretta,

mercy killing is legalised in uk. I think its legalised in india too.

Lambretta
31st January 2006, 11:46 PM
Lambretta,

No I didn't mean the legal mercy killing (karuna kolai) tat is done medically......was wondering abt this stuff said to be done in villages.......afterall, its a known fact tat even female infanticide- otherwise illegal- continues to be practised there!

shambhavi
1st February 2006, 12:59 AM
but euthanasia makes sense reather than allow the person to endure so much pain and suffering, i think its not just the patient but the whole family who endures the trauma.

great
1st February 2006, 02:34 AM
Lambretta,

i dont think so. :wink:

Alan
1st February 2006, 07:43 AM
Isnt that ur family who works for world peace and humanity?show ur middle finger to the old dying soul and let them suffer, while u guys go hangin' pubs and malls..

read carefully before making your rotten comment- its not my grandmother- my friend's grandma. And as you say the family DOESN'T go anywhere, leaving the old lady alone- MIND YOUR LANGUAGE, ok?

Shakthiprabha.
1st February 2006, 11:43 AM
lambretta,

So mercy killing is penalised?

shambhavi,

u are right. I differ in only one way. I always feel THE PERSON WHO SUFFERS GOES THRO MORE HELL than the family. He or she cant even express their grief.

What a pity! How traumatic! How painful! :( :(

I do feel its better to painless release the soul from the body.

buddysathi
1st February 2006, 11:56 AM

read carefully before making your rotten comment- its not my grandmother- my friend's grandma. And as you say the family DOESN'T go anywhere, leaving the old lady alone- MIND YOUR LANGUAGE, ok?

U started it first!!And u dont act smart,,Most ppl like u bring a issue like this " This happened to one of my friend....."

Alan
1st February 2006, 01:33 PM
Buddysathi, you are just contradicting yourself- You put Mother Teresa's quote as your slokan & you actually do the opposite- you are judging me now. How can you be so sure its my grandma? My grandmother passed away even before my parents' marriage.

Why not a retrospective analysis, buddysathi? Why do you want to display great people's quotes , if you can't follow it? Whom are you trying to impress?

Shed your ego first- then you can be open to other's ideas & problems- and I'm certainly NOT ACTING smart! I'm.

buddysathi
1st February 2006, 04:55 PM
Ok..Leave it!! Lets hope & pray.. Anyway Well tried!!

Lambretta
1st February 2006, 05:12 PM
lambretta,

So mercy killing is penalised?
Noooo......I meant its apparently illegal in the villages, not in urban areas/medical backgrounds.

selvakumar
1st February 2006, 06:14 PM
Give her an oil head bath and then give tender coconut water to drink, that should do the trick.

Sorry abby.. IMHO, your idea is worth of pouring poison to her mouth.

Friends,
I believe in GOD. If GOD is still making that old granny to live in this earth, then it will have a true meaning. Also, Killing someone/ doing Poojas to kill someone should not be our work. GOD is the only person who should look into it.

My suggestion would be to pray for her. To be along with her all the time. Making her to end her beautiful life in the earth peacefully rather than artificially.

Lambretta
1st February 2006, 06:22 PM
Yea selva, at the most can pray tat she hav a peaceful end, since its too late to pray for her to live....

selvakumar
1st February 2006, 06:35 PM
Yea selva, at the most can pray tat she hav a peaceful end, since its too late to pray for her to live....

Lambretta, I think we must know her decision first. If she is interested in living a long life, we should pray for her recovery.

Shakthiprabha.
1st February 2006, 10:38 PM
eeks selvakumar,

with such a beautiful post u made me feel like a wretched witch :cry:

Dont u guys think, ITS PAINFUL for her to live?
Its pathetic to watch them suffer :cry:

Anoushka
2nd February 2006, 12:01 AM
Anybody seen "Meet Joe Black?" ... I remember the hospital scene reading all this....

selvakumar
2nd February 2006, 08:53 AM
eeks selvakumar,

with such a beautiful post u made me feel like a wretched witch :cry:

Dont u guys think, ITS PAINFUL for her to live?
Its pathetic to watch them suffer :cry:

SP, I have experienced these things. It happened to me also. My grandma was bedridden for a long time. People also tried to let her did peacefully by pouring milk with "Sanghu". But when myself and father spoke to her. Her intention was clear. She whispered in our ears. (At that time, my aunt was pregnant). So, my grandma was expecting her recovery (from GOD by praying continously). just to see the child which was about to see the world. so, we also prayed to GOD for her recovery. But unfortunately our prayers went in vain. She died. AFter a few days, we got one more person in our family in the form of a new child. :D

blahblah
2nd February 2006, 10:49 AM
This issue was discussed at length by a separate thread started by Mrs.PP. I remember many hubbers including the lady who started the thread were in support of euthanesia.

I continue to believe that there can be dignity in suffering.Since I have seen my father and aunt facing cancer[we lost both of them almost 16 years back,after prolonged illness] with courage,my expierience differs from that of some others here.

These days,there are medications which helps patients cope with pain.The elders in the family facing such challenges with courage will surely be good education for your children.

But if people are looking for the easy way to get rid of these people then I don't fit in here.You can use anything for murder- country poison,pooja or even an axe!

selvakumar
2nd February 2006, 11:20 AM
I agree with u blahblah!! :thumbsup:

a bit sad to hear ur experience. !!

anyhow Thanks for giving a brief but sharp view on that!!

a.ratchasi
2nd February 2006, 11:30 AM
I continue to believe that there can be dignity in suffering.Since I have seen my father and aunt facing cancer[we lost both of them almost 16 years back,after prolonged illness] with courage,my expierience differs from that of some others here.

These days,there are medications which helps patients cope with pain.The elders in the family facing such challenges with courage will surely be good education for your children.

But if people are looking for the easy way to get rid of these people then I don't fit in here.You can use anything for murder- country poison,pooja or even an axe!

You deserve a round of applause for your dignified statement, blahblah!

Shakthiprabha.
2nd February 2006, 02:56 PM
:roll:

Imagine a person is in coma,
abs a vegetable.
He or she is 70 plus.

THE RELATIVES AROUND ARE GEMS THAT THEY DONT MIND SPENDING MONEY AT ALL TO SEE THEIR LOVED MOM OR DAD OR GRANDMA OR GRANDPA alive.

Considering the age and the disease like COMA, keeping them alive is pointless? In such cases slowly cutting off oxygen supply would do :( :?

is that BARBARIC?

blahblah,

Ur statement which says,

"You can use anything for murder- country poison,pooja or even an axe!"

does not sound very nice indeed.
I am sure you would understand THE PERSON WANTS THEIR LOVED ONES TO DIE PAINLESSLY AND to be RELIEVED of PAIN.

so u would cut them with axe and say its all the same?
Good for argument sake. Very decorative argument indeed.

a.ratchasi
2nd February 2006, 03:29 PM
It is easier and convenient to nip off the buds and the wrinkled leaves. The former, has no life of its own yet, the latter has outgrown its usefulness. Yeah, no harm done as no one else is hurt and as for the wrinkled leaf, we are mere ending it's misery.

Now, what if the 'person' happens to be an active 7 year old kid (touch wood) or a 30 year old man or any person, whose life is at stake? Not brain dead, but is hospitalised due to some deadly illness or severe accident. Will the "I want to end their sufferings" plea be verociously considered too?

Lambretta
2nd February 2006, 03:35 PM
Now, what if the 'person' happens to be an active 7 year old kid (touch wood) or a 30 year old man or any person, whose life is at stake? Not brain dead, but is hospitalised due to some deadly illness or severe accident. Will the "I want to end their sufferings" plea be verociously considered too?
Good point to think abt, a.r.! :D

ssanjinika
2nd February 2006, 07:06 PM
"Thalaivali-um kaichal-um avanga avanga-gallukku vandha than therium"is the saying which comes to my mind reading about euthanesia. It sounds like the logical thing todo even the more compassionate thing todo but if it is our family member will we have the courage todo it?I could never blame a person who does it.In my book it does "NOT" become "MURDER" but a supreme act of courage.I remember the movie "Million Dollar Baby" applauded the ending.You think its compassionate to end the sufferings of an animal why arent humans given the same dignity?Blablah we are talking about extreme cases where there is absolutely no hope. Cases where living would cause more pain to the said person than dying.Ultimately its "quality" rather than "quantity" which matters rite?

Alan
4th February 2006, 08:21 AM
I agree with ssanjinika 100%- Infact, my parents have already told me to do euthansia, if they are in such a hopeless , diseased state! My dad already explained that he wants it done- What inspired him to say this was his bil's mother was sick & bedridden for ages & really suffered until her death. She was bedridden for at least 7 years!

Roshan
4th February 2006, 09:26 AM
This issue was discussed at length by a separate thread started by Mrs.PP. I remember many hubbers including the lady who started the thread were in support of euthanesia.

Great as ususal :thumbsup:

I too have seen my father facing cancer with courage and patience and therefore my opinion goes with what blahblah says.

Neththi Adi :thumbsup: ( sorry blahblah I dont know how to translate "Neththi Adi" in to English or Malayalam :cry: but I could not find any other appropriate word for your statement :) )

Surya
4th February 2006, 10:10 AM
Alan,

Religion must not be used for mercy killing....I don't agree with Mercy Killing to begin with, but if your friend feels that she's better off having an immediate painless death, rather than suffering, then it's his choice.

There are other options other than Poojas to go about this. Do some research on that, but I feel it's morally wrong to use religion for this...let alone the possibility in question of such a Pooja.

Shekhar
4th February 2006, 10:28 AM
I agree with blahblah with regard to dignity in suffering. What he essentially says is that life with suffering is to be valued and not to be treated as lower to "no life".
But I feel he is harsh on euthanasia.
If I were to be in a condition where I am not mentally virile, or physically unable to look after myself, I would rather die. The greatest dread in my life is to be in mental or physcial state where I cannot choose to die. To me living like a vegetable is tragic beyond words.
But I respect blahblah's experience. I respect his father's dignity in suffering.

pavalamani pragasam
4th February 2006, 12:02 PM
You hit the nail on the head, Shekhar! :thumbsup:

Lambretta
4th February 2006, 12:35 PM
Absolutely! & I think this also answers Roshan's query on English translation of "Netthi adi".....? :D

blahblah
8th February 2006, 11:05 AM

Come on PP madam! :lol: We are going back to your old thread I suppose.

There are two types of people-One look for easy solutions to get away from a problem[may I say,like mercy killing? :twisted: ].The other keeps a small spark of hope in their breast,keep blowing to make a fire out of it.The second type always wins in the end. :D

I always wonder about those people who committed suicide in Mumbai,when they came to know that they had AIDS.What if a fully effective medication is invented in a short time for AIDS?

It may not be the same with some terminally ill patients.But most of these guys deserve to live.They prefer assisted suicide because they love their dear ones so much they do not want to see them suffer too.

And if Euthanesia is allowed to land in India,be sure that there is going to be a drastic drop in life expectancy.I cant imagine getting injected with lethal drugs after having common cold! :shock:

pavalamani pragasam
8th February 2006, 12:17 PM
Blahblah, I am as much alive to your dread about the abuses as you are!!!

Shakthiprabha.
8th February 2006, 01:29 PM
I wish to state as my final post,

I am sure BLAHBLAH and other folks out here, realise that there is WORLD OF DIFF between mercy killing resorted to when one is a vegetable at a ripe old age and injecting lethal drugs for common cold for a young vibrant individual or even cutting someone into two with AXE :roll:

EVERY ARGUMENT has CLAUSES.

If argument is TAKEN GENERALLY WITHOUT ADHERING TO CLAUSES I am clueless to talk more on it.

Good luck to the old soul which alan mentioned and may god be with it.

As this thread is too sensitive to talk about intensely personal issues, I STOP MY ARGUMENT here.

Alan
8th February 2006, 06:37 PM
:D As always, you have an intelligent & charming way of putting things, Shakhi mam........lethal drugs for common cold- lol! :lol:

As you said, this is my final post on this issue to..........some people simply don't want to understand or they just want to keep arguing for the wrong reasons. I'm not going to be one of them. Neither are you.

Sandeep
17th February 2006, 09:42 AM
Man wants to end son's agony

Realising that his son's chances of survival are slim, Muthu Pandi thought euthanasia was the best option

DINDIGUL: He loves his son, but he wants him dead. The father of a 15-year-old boy who is suffering from thrombosis, anaemia and haemophilia has filed a "mercy killing petition" with the District Court in Dindigul. The Fast Track Court Judge, S. Manoharan, received the petition and advised the District Legal Services Authority to forward it to the District Social Welfare Department for further action and necessary help.

The petitioner, M. Muthu Pandi, a carpentry worker residing in Chitharevu village in Dindigul district, pleaded for euthanasia to end the agony of his son, Suriya Prabakaran, a Class X student of the Government Higher Secondary School in Chitharevu. For the last ten years, Prabakaran has been suffering from haemophilia. Medical reports of various hospitals in Madurai and Bangalore state that he suffers from mucosal bleeding, where blood continues to flow after a cut or injury without clotting. Periodical blood transfusion, a highly expensive treatment, is necessary for survival.

Muthu Pandi knocked at the doors of several government departments and non-governmental organisations. He sent petitions to the Chief Minister's Grievances Cell and the office of the President of India. He also approached political leaders and affluent people for help. Unfortunately, he got little help.

Realising that his son's chances of survival are slim, Muthu Pandi thought euthanasia was the best option. The law was a hurdle, and he decided to move the court. The petition was drafted by Prabakaran himself. Prabakaran's mother had died of haematosis.

Courtecy: K.Raju's article in The Hindu

As I read it first I thought a good case for euthanasia but as I read furthur it seemed as a case of man's reluctance to help the one's in need.

Shakthiprabha.
19th February 2006, 01:51 AM
:( :( :(