PDA

View Full Version : Dried split green peas - what to do with?

Badri
21st February 2006, 06:19 AM
Hello all: Quite by mistake, the wife went and bought split dried green peas thinking it was something else. So now, we have 500 gm of this and dont know what to do with it.

Any recipes, anyone?

NOV
21st February 2006, 06:58 AM
too many Bad.
you ARE talking about pachaipayir/paasipayir right? Question

No... I guess it is the dried peas badri is taking abt... not moong dhal...

Badri, try peas masala with it... I've never tried but try ur luck if U want to...Wink

Badri
21st February 2006, 07:06 AM
Illa, NOV. It is not that...see here for a picture.

http://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/products/beans/images/splitpeas_green400w.jpg

NOV
21st February 2006, 07:12 AM
oh idhuvaa!
I dont know any indian recipes, but you can make soup from them :D

NOV
21st February 2006, 07:16 AM
[tscii:d01f6ee317]Green Split Pea Curry Soup
source: http://www.all-creatures.org/recipes/soup-splitpeacur.html

Ingredients

4 cups (2 lb) Green Split Peas, dried
3 cups Onions, diced
3 cups Carrots, diced
2 cups Celery, diced
6 cloves Garlic, crushed or minced
1 tbsp Ginger, ground
2 tbsp Cumin, ground
2 tbsp Coriander, ground
2 tsp Cardamom, ground
2 tsp Turmeric, ground
2 tbsp Lemon Juice
Cayenne Pepper, pinch, to taste (optional)
12 cups Water

Preparation

Note: We use a large 6-1/2 quart slow cooker for this recipe. The recipe may be halved for a smaller cooker. It’s a good idea to start preparing the soup early in the morning.

Set slow cooker to “high.” Preheat 12 cups of water to boiling and add to slow cooker with cover. (We heat the water 2 cups at a time in the microwave oven.)

While the water is heating, sort out any unwanted material from the dried green split peas. Rinse split peas well and add to the heated water in the slow cooker.

Wash and peel the onions and carrots. Dice and place in a microwaveable dish with cover. Wash and dice celery and add to the onions and carrots. Clean and crush or mince garlic and add it to the rest of the vegetables. Cover the dish and cook in the microwave oven until the vegetables are tender. (This saves cooking time.) Then add them to the slow cooker.

Add all the seasonings and the lemon juice to the slow cooker and mix well. Add more hot water, if necessary. Cover and leave on “high” setting. Stir occasionally, checking to see if more hot water is needed for desired consistency.

The slow cooker may be left on “low” setting if you will be away during the day. Make sure that there is enough water in cooker before you leave.

When split peas are soft, turn slow cooker off.

Serve with a large tossed salad and enjoy! [/tscii:d01f6ee317]

Badri
21st February 2006, 07:19 AM
Enna, naal muzhuva itha seyyanumaa? Dinner-ku vendiya soup-a breakfast-ku apparam seyya thodanganumaa? Adengappa!

pavalamani pragasam
21st February 2006, 09:08 AM
Any recipe with whole dried green peas must do, I am sure! Soak it overnight. Make pulao, kuruma, gravy or anything!!! Even sundal!

dev
21st February 2006, 09:37 AM
peas halwa(like u do moong dhal halwa), peas masala, peas with beans or any other veg etc etc...

Badri
21st February 2006, 09:49 AM
Oh, so it can be used just as normal peas is it? Ok, that solves all the problems then. Since it is quite thin, I thought maybe it should only used as some daal or something!!

Badri
21st February 2006, 09:49 AM
btw Dev, how to make moong dal halwa/peas halwa?

dev
21st February 2006, 09:55 AM
chk this link...

http://www.cuisinecuisine.com/MoongDaalHalwa.htm

This halwa is absolutely heavenly... I guess it'll work well with peas too... but try in small quantity ...

kavikuil
22nd February 2006, 01:38 AM
You can make normal dal too. It tastes even better than tur dal.

Make a tadka/thalippu using mustard seeds, cummin seeds, onions, garlic, green chillies and tomatoes. It tastes very good.

Also, kheer made with this split green peas taste very good. Cook dal and mash well (use a blender if needed). Add milk and boil. Add sugar/jaggery according to taste. Add ghee-fried cashews and raisins. Serve hot or cold.

Badri
22nd February 2006, 04:01 AM
Thanks Nov, PP, Dev and Poet-cuckoo!

Will try at least one or two of these and let you know! :)

Alan
22nd February 2006, 02:04 PM
Can't split peas be used in Peas Pulao, Paneer Mutter, Aloo Mutter etc just like whole peas? I don't think there would be adifference in the taste, right?