10th October 2006, 10:20 AM
Thanks and welcome jrf :-)

swathy
10th October 2006, 10:21 AM
nice pick raja rasigan. thks :-)

raaja_rasigan
10th October 2006, 06:12 PM

Today I listened the Ennamma kannu (Mr.Bharath) remix from Thiruvilayaadal aarambam (By IMAAN). After this I listened the original to get the difference.IMO, the remix doesn't reproduces even 10% of quality as the original music, lyrics & singers.
Since, now a days, as current MD's are out of stock, they go to remixes. Will they get any permission from original MD or who has the song rights... producer?

IMO, I would suggest the current MD's to do the remixes of most of the Ilayaraaja's classics (as they can't recreate the same magic), so that current generation (I'am just 25) will get to know who is Ilayaraaja.

Even I haven't liked "Aasai nooru vagai" from kurumbu by YSR.

One of my friend who knows both tamil & telugu & listens both type of songs, said that IR has done a number of songs in telugu most of which are new tunes & not given to tamil. But people like devisri prasad, mani sharma etc. just gives 2 copies of their tunes.... one each to tamil & telugu directors.

vasanth2006
10th October 2006, 08:42 PM

Today I listened the Ennamma kannu (Mr.Bharath) remix from Thiruvilayaadal aarambam (By IMAAN). After this I listened the original to get the difference.IMO, the remix doesn't reproduces even 10% of quality as the original music, lyrics & singers.
Since, now a days, as current MD's are out of stock, they go to remixes. Will they get any permission from original MD or who has the song rights... producer?

IMO, I would suggest the current MD's to do the remixes of most of the Ilayaraaja's classics (as they can't recreate the same magic), so that current generation (I'am just 25) will get to know who is Ilayaraaja.

Even I haven't liked "Aasai nooru vagai" from kurumbu by YSR.

One of my friend who knows both tamil & telugu & listens both type of songs, said that IR has done a number of songs in telugu most of which are new tunes & not given to tamil. But people like devisri prasad, mani sharma etc. just gives 2 copies of their tunes.... one each to tamil & telugu directors.

it is difficult to remix the IR song. because IR song's composition and music style will survive till the end of world. it will be fresh after 100 years also. so there is no point to remix the IR song. great example "asai nooru vagai". yuvan created only 5% of the original.

I always hate yuvan remixes.(except thipidikka, because actually it is not complete remix. it has only small bit of old song.)
for yuvan, there is no need to remix. beacuse he has the enormous talent. i know that because of commerical reasons/directors request only u1 is doing. mind it he did only 5 or 6 remixes in his total carrier.

regarding reusing tune,
IR did the blunder mistake IMO. he should have reused his tunes. if he did, then he could have composed extra 500 movies.( another thing is that some Gems will reach to more masses. because i didnt hear his telugu gems.)
in this ARR did good job. (i think ARR composed around 350 tunes only. )
atleast yuvan should follow that reusing style.

popeye11
10th October 2006, 11:36 PM
Does anyone happen to have 'Malai Soodum' from puthiya ragam.. please let me know

This is such an amazing song

swathy
11th October 2006, 11:26 AM
Todays pick by Nakeeran
Date: October 11
Song: poonthendrale nalla neram
Singers: Jayachandran and Vani Jayaram
Movie: Bhuvana oru kelvi kuri

Link: http://www.hamaracd.com/hcdinternational/Asp/Collectionsongs.asp?Giftid=G437&cbogiftideas=1

Sanjeevi
11th October 2006, 11:53 AM
Does anyone happen to have 'Malai Soodum' from puthiya ragam.. please let me know

Is the same file which contains "Oh Janani En Swaram Nee" song?

vasanth2006
11th October 2006, 03:22 PM

:exactly:

that film has some other good songs also like "vadumo", "malligai malai katti".

but the "ohh janani" is the pick of the album. such a beautiful number. it emulates many feelings. (p.s: the starting humming is reminds the humming of "padi parantha kili" from kizhaku vasal)

you can get this film songs from

http://rajaecho.tripod.com/

Nakeeran
11th October 2006, 03:30 PM
Thanks Swathy :D

I think Poonthendrale was the only song Jayachandran sang for Rajini ?

A very busy fast paced song.

Thanks

hyte
11th October 2006, 05:07 PM
Hi Friends,
I am new to this thread and was very happy to see it. I am an ardent fan of IR and thought I could contribute some to this.
Yesterday I was listening to "Andarangam yaavume" from the movie Ayiram nilave Vaa by SPB.
Wow!!What a song. There is no one else who could compose such a song and no one else could sing the way SPB has sung. But everybody else could enjoy.
The best part is a solo violin the 2nd interlude and it really mesmerises.

popeye11
11th October 2006, 06:42 PM

that film has some other good songs also like "vadumo", "malligai malai katti".

but the "ohh janani" is the pick of the album. such a beautiful number. it emulates many feelings. (p.s: the starting humming is reminds the humming of "padi parantha kili" from kizhaku vasal)

you can get this film songs from

http://rajaecho.tripod.com/

Yes, All the songs from that movie are amazing but was not noticed cos the movie didnt do well..

vasanth rajaecho.tripod.com has the link to that movie. However, the links dont work.. is there any other source i can get the songs from.. please help

hyte
12th October 2006, 04:24 PM
Another song is "Thenmozhi thenmozhi" from the movie Solla thudikuthu manasu. Wow!! What an orchestration. Simply amazing. Again solo violin takes up the stage. Mano did a decent job, but it could have been better with SPB. Anyhow overall a great song.

hyte
12th October 2006, 09:10 PM
Please listen to this song in Kannda by our Raaja. It was a movie released in 1980 and this is set to Suddha Dhanyasi raaga. One of his best compositions. See the orchestration and solo violin is dominating again. SPB and SJ have literally given soul to the song. The song is "Yava shilpi kanda kanasu" 5th song in the following link
http://www.musicindiaonline.com/music/kannada/s/movie_name.2481/
It also has the song no1 which is Aakaashadindha jaari which is song which is full of life. The song was later made in Tamil by IR in the movie Vellayathevan sung by Arunmozhi, Chitra. Please listen to that song too.

Thanks

hyte
13th October 2006, 04:45 PM
Today the song of the day is "Ade neevi ade nenu" from the movie Abhinandana. SPB's voice, the chorus and the solo violin simply takes you out of the world. I guess this was dubbed in Tamil either in Amudha ganam or Kaathal Geetham.

All other songs are also good. Overall a great album.

swathy
14th October 2006, 12:39 PM
Todays pick by Nakeeran
Date: October 14
Song: Solai poovil
Singers: S.p.Balasubramaniam,S.Janaki
Movie: Vellai roja

Link: http://www.dishant.com/album/Vellai-Roja.html

swathy
14th October 2006, 12:40 PM
Very good song Nakeeran. Thanks :-)

Hulkster
14th October 2006, 01:43 PM
Welcome back swathy...i have been guilty of not following this thread for long and missed out amazing picks by nakeeran. :cry2:

Prelude - Its WCM leading the whole way through with Raja's pacey use of the violins. The song starts off with the keyboard in a garden romance like feel before being succeeded by the violins. The pick here has to be good usage of percussions to give it a mild folkish touch to the tune.

Interludes - The flute gives you a slight happy mood but then mood is slowly tempered with IR's orchestration of the violins yet again. At first it has a sad feel before moving to a more delightful style. The second interlude has the symphony orchestra style of violins being played against each other before moving on to a more relaxed and soothing style with the guitar dominating. Fantastic orchestration in the first interlude though. :clap:

Tune A tune obviously dealing with the romance of the lead stars it is laced with IR's experimentation. The tune and lyrics is quite evening-romance styled but the orchestration and instrumentation deals with the emotions alot. A slight undertone of melancholy can be seen at times perhaps depicting the fate of their romance in the first interlude. A soothing song indeed good for people who love park romances. :D :clap: Great pick Nakeeran :notworthy:

Renault
14th October 2006, 02:16 PM
Also hulks, the song has been picturised very well.. especially when the song ends.. a small beautiful counterpoint picturised on the sun rays. This will also come in the first interlude end (1:38 - 1:42).

Raja thought us effective reusability long time back I guess.

The song overall will look very very youthful and romantic with a young looking Suresh and Radha.

swathy
14th October 2006, 02:45 PM
Thanks hulks and renault :-)

I expect your active participation :-)

app_engine
14th October 2006, 08:20 PM
sOlaippoovil had excellent rhythm arrangements, I think unique at that time...(even the other song in the film, `O mAnE mAnE mAnE mAnE unnaiththAnE had some nice percussion arrangement)...

It has a nice postlude as well...

Sanguine Sridhar
15th October 2006, 01:48 AM
Nice pick

I like that song 'Solai Poovil' :)

Hulkster
15th October 2006, 07:39 AM
Also hulks, the song has been picturised very well.. especially when the song ends.. a small beautiful counterpoint picturised on the sun rays. This will also come in the first interlude end (1:38 - 1:42).

Raja thought us effective reusability long time back I guess.

The song overall will look very very youthful and romantic with a young looking Suresh and Radha.

I envy you at times when you get to see old movies of IR.. :D... Even this song to us seems ordinary but if other MDs do it..its like a masterpiece..that is how IR has spoiled us with his musical input in songs. :clap:

raaja_rasigan
15th October 2006, 10:44 AM
Even this song to us seems ordinary but if other MDs do it..its like a masterpiece..

exactly... it is like when sachin gets out sometimes in 50's ,b4 scoring a century... people will say... he could have played much better than this.

Same is the case for IR :thumbsup:

swathy
15th October 2006, 12:14 PM
Thanks apps,sanguine and rajarasigan

swathy
15th October 2006, 12:14 PM
Todays pick by Hyte
Date: October 15
Song: Etho ninaivugal
Singers: KJ Yesudass and SP Sailaja
Movie: Agal vilakku

Link: http://www.musicindiaonline.com/music/tamil/s/movie_name.4154/

hyte
16th October 2006, 04:59 PM
Hi Friends,
I am new to this thread and was very happy to see it. I am an ardent fan of IR and thought I could contribute some to this.
Yesterday I was listening to "Andarangam yaavume" from the movie Ayiram nilave Vaa by SPB.
Wow!!What a song. There is no one else who could compose such a song and no one else could sing the way SPB has sung. But everybody else could enjoy.
The best part is a solo violin the 2nd interlude and it really mesmerises.

Hulkster
16th October 2006, 05:28 PM
Great pick Hyte :clap: Good to see more people actively participating and stating their treasures of IR which actually if you add up is innumerable. So many songs with his stamp with different style and even in that style different versions.

Prelude - The song has a MSV style feel to it with the humming and the soft music. But if you are very careful you will notice that the humming is succeeded by IRs own style of soft music and humming with the violins and guitar coming in. In testimony it is IR showing how he has promoted the techniques of MSV with WCM to show his own style. :clap:

Interludes - The first interlude seemes reminiscent of 70s IR melodies which had the same style of orchestration for very soft romantic songs. One of the few songs in which IR lets lyric s dominate rather than the music which can be evident here. Probably complimenting the tune of the song. The second interlude is a return to IR's techniques with the guitar impressing immediately. If you guys notice the guitar is actually being played with one string in the first part and with two strings in the second part continuing the notes. A innovative deviation by IR :clap: The violins have got abit of dragging and high pitch tempo with varied octaves quite trademark of IR. Watch out for the guitar in the song guys.

Tune - Certainly the tune is something that compliments the lyrics very well. A bit of a info about IR is that he has two types of composing styles. One is he lets the music bring the life in the lyrics and Two vice versa where he lets the music play second fiddle to the lyrics. A recent example is Andha Naal Gnyabagam of Athu oru kana kaalam where lyrics dominate the song. This song is the same as well with the tune and lyrics being the main attraction. It also shows IR's flexibility in composing music as well.

But that does not mean it is just plain music. Has i stated IR even plays/experiments even if the song is dominated by lyrics and it is shown in the prelude and instrumentation of the guitar as well. That is how extraordinary IR is even for music that is simple according to his orchestration standards :D :notworthy:

Renault
16th October 2006, 10:13 PM
Tune - Certainly the tune is something that compliments the lyrics very well. A bit of a info about IR is that he has two types of composing styles. One is he lets the music bring the life in the lyrics and Two vice versa where he lets the music play second fiddle to the lyrics. A recent example is Andha Naal Gnyabagam of Athu oru kana kaalam where lyrics dominate the song. This song is the same as well with the tune and lyrics being the main attraction. It also shows IR's flexibility in composing music as well.

Nice Point Hulks, though a digression, I wish to quote another song from Athu oru kana kaalam .. Kaattu vazhi kaal nadaya.. hwre lyric takes the front seat with a mellifluous music as bgm. Guess, Swathi has mentioned earlier that she likes this song.

I watched this film last year with my friend and on first hearing he said that he liked this song.. though it was building on me slowly as we were watching this song together.

app_engine
17th October 2006, 01:29 AM
Swathy,
Why don't you take up with admin to have a page listing all the IR SOTD's that've been presented here...and you might also consider s#'ing the songs...which may even help avoid repeats...

EdhO ninaivugaL, kanavugaL munbE indha thread'il pArthathu pOl gnAbagam...

In any case...a great song...excellent performance by both KJY & SPS...classic orchestration...with noteworthy bass guitar...

I used to sharpen my ears to listen to the bass guitar "twist" in the first interlude (changeover from descending violins to ascending wind instrument) in radio those days...in a treble driven world:-)

IR's signature tabla-bass guitar koottaNi is in full swing in this song!

Hulkster
17th October 2006, 07:31 AM
Yes renault sir...kaatu vizhi kaal nadaiya had this brilliant violin piece playing throughout the song that just mesmerised me. I only listen to the song just to hear that piece...it shows IR's energy in his orchestration is as new as ever. :D

swathy
17th October 2006, 08:30 AM
yah renault i love that song very much.

...vazhkkai kanavu illai kanavu illai unmaiyada...

swathy
17th October 2006, 08:35 AM
Todays pick by raaja rasigan
Date: October 17
Song: kanavu kaanum vazhkkai yaavum....
Singers: KJ Yesudass
Movie: Neengal kettavai

swathy
17th October 2006, 08:36 AM
nice pick RR :-)

very good melody song.

Sanguine Sridhar
17th October 2006, 10:09 AM
My pick is "Nilavey mugam Kaatu" from Yejaman. I request Swathy to make it song of the day for 18th Oct! :)

Sanguine Sridhar
17th October 2006, 10:12 AM
Kanavu Kaanum Vaazhkaiyavum .. is a wonderful song with wonderful lyrics! :) Excellent pick rajarasigan. :)

swathy
17th October 2006, 12:53 PM
sridhar: please send it thru pm. sure I'll post your song.

vasanth2006
17th October 2006, 01:57 PM
Etho ninaivugal from "agal vilaku" is such a master piece from IR. my hot fav.it will drag u into dream world. (like "ninaivo oru paravai" song).

Excellent Pick hyte :thumbsup: :thumbsup: .

thumburu
17th October 2006, 02:34 PM
"Yedho ninaivugaL" is an immortal song and I can vividly remember my most favourite second interlude with alternate guitar strums , followed by high pitched violins and another instrument sounding like flute , playing counter melody. This song is lightly based on the carnatic "Sumanesaranjini" ragam. For those who are not familiar with this scale , listen to another IR song "KaNNamma kaadhal ennum" from "VVPookkaL"

hyte
17th October 2006, 04:28 PM
Kanavu kanum has wonderful lyrics and a masterpiece by IR. But I think was originally from Hindi. Not sure which composer. Could you someone help me.

raaja_rasigan
17th October 2006, 04:40 PM
Kanavu Kaanum Vaazhkaiyavum .. is a wonderful song with wonderful lyrics! :) Excellent pick rajarasigan. :)

excellent meaning full lyrics portraying human life....

Balu mahendra's picturisation for the lyrics will be wonderful....

whose lyrics is it? any body plz:

balu mahendra is one more director who gave ample scope for IR to play in the BGM's: recent eg: JULIE GANAPATHY.

idhu poal ini paadal varumaa enbadhu .... :?:

Hulkster
17th October 2006, 04:42 PM
Kanavu Kaanum is if im not wrong lifted from kasme vaade a hindi movie with music by kalyanki anandji as stated in www.itwofs.com. :?

Renault
17th October 2006, 06:01 PM
It is not a copy hulks but rather an exchange the hindi MD did with Maestro for using one of his tamil songs.

Hulkster
17th October 2006, 06:34 PM
Appadiya renault sir...yenakku ithu patri avalava theriyaathu..since im not very media related...but i shall refrain from commenting about this song..i prefer to focus on IR's own songs....:D..please dunt get offended guys :D

Renault
17th October 2006, 08:06 PM
I like your non-violent attitude Hulks.. unlike few in this forum.. always issuing provoking statements.

hyte
17th October 2006, 10:01 PM
HI friends,
When discussing about Etho ninaivugal song in tamil, I wanted let everyone know that IR did the Kannada version of the same song with SPB and SJ. This version came first and later was made in tamil. Could you pl follow the link and give me your feedback. Totally different orchestration and beats.
http://www.musicindiaonline.com/music/kannada/s/movie_name.2658/
The song is Banu boomiya.

Thanks

swathy
18th October 2006, 08:37 AM
I would like to extend one day more for each song as I could see more feedback nowadays. I receive lot of songs from you. Sure I'll post all the songs but I want to allocate enough time for each song. Please let me your suggestions.

Sanjeevi
18th October 2006, 10:49 AM
It is not a copy hulks but rather an exchange the hindi MD did with Maestro for using one of his tamil songs.

Ilaya Nila was that IR song

Nakeeran
18th October 2006, 01:16 PM
I would like to extend one day more for each song as I could see more feedback nowadays. I receive lot of songs from you. Sure I'll post all the songs but I want to allocate enough time for each song. Please let me your suggestions.

Yeah yeah .

Pl allocate 3 clear days from the date of posting ( including the posting date ). This will give sufficient time for all to offer their comments. :D

swathy
19th October 2006, 08:20 AM
Todays pick by Nakeeran
Date: October 19
Song: Naane naana yaro dhana
Singers: VaniJayram
Movie: Azage unnai aradhikiren

swathy
19th October 2006, 08:21 AM
Nice song nakeeran. Hope we can get more feedback from music experts. do u have lyrics with u?

Nakeeran
19th October 2006, 01:22 PM
Todays pick by Nakeeran
Date: October 19
Song: Naane naana yaro dhana
Singers: VaniJayram
Movie: Azage unnai aradhikiren

Thanks Swathy.

U have missed out the link for the song :

http://as01.cooltoad.com/music/song.php?id=141993

And the lyrics with notes :

Notes: s r2 g3 m1 p d2 n2 S

Naanae naana yaarothaana
s p mp mp m p m g
C G FG FG F G F E

mella mella maarinena
rg g mg sn. n.ss s s
DE E FE CA#. A#.CC C C

thannai thaanae marandhene
g g m p dppm p d
E E F G AGGF G A

ennai naanae ketkiren
mdd d n d p p
FAA A A# A G G

(naanae naana)

Stanza 1:

oruvan ninaivile urugum idhayamae idho thudikka
pn d p n d pdpm pn d pn d pdpm pS Sn RS Sn
GA# A G A# A GAGF GA# A GA# A GAGF GC+ C+A# D+C+ C+A#

ularndha udhadugaL thanimai kavidhaigaL aedho padikka
pn d pn d pdpm p n d p n d pdpm p S R R G
GA# A GA# A GAGF G A# A G A# A GAGF G C+ D+ D+ E+

madhuvin mayakkamae unadha madiyil inimel
R R G R R G RGRS RR G R R G RS nd1
D+D+ E+ D+D+ E+ D+E+D+C+ D+D+ E+ D+ D+ E+ D+C+ A#G#

ivaLdhaan
pm pmp
GF GFG

charanam charanam
pS Sn nd1 p m pmp
GC+ C+A# A#G# G F GFG

(naanae naana)

Stanza 2: (notes similar to Stanza 1)

uravil kalappadhum pirivil thavippadhum ore manadhu
piraiyil vaLarvadhum piragu theivadhum ore nilavu
paruva vayadhile iravum pagalum viragam
naragam
charanam charanam

(naanae naana)

Bye :D

swathy
19th October 2006, 02:47 PM
oh sorry nakeeran

anyway thks for the lyrics but i can't understand those notes :cry:

tvsankar
24th October 2006, 04:28 PM
Dear Swathy,
Welcome back !!!

Ennudaiya request -- Thena Odum oda karaiyae from film Bharani , Sung by IR. I need the download link pl !!

With Love,
Usha Sankar.

swathy
25th October 2006, 09:43 AM
Todays pick by Sanguine Sridhar
Date: October 25
Song: Nilave mugam kattu
Singers: Balasubramaniam S.P.,Janaki. S.
Movie: Yejaman
Year of Release : 1993

swathy
25th October 2006, 09:44 AM
Very good pick sridhar. I like this song esp the line maalaiyodu nadakkum theraiyya nadakkum podhu vanangum ooraiya. SPB - SJ combination is always the best .

thanks sridhar :-)

swathy
25th October 2006, 09:46 AM
Thanks usha akka. sure I'll post your song. :-)

Sanguine Sridhar
25th October 2006, 04:08 PM
Thanks a lot Swathy for picking this song!

This is one of my fav song! Menmayana sogam indha paadalin periya '+' .. I love especially both the saranams of that song. :D Excellent acting by Super Star and Meena too! :) I will be happy if somebody post the lyrics of that song!

Thanks!!

swathy
28th October 2006, 09:21 PM
Todays pick by hulkster
Date: October 28
Song: Thathaaram
Language: Malyalam
Singers:
Movie: Guru
Year of Release : 1997

Link: http://www.dishant.com/album/Guru-(1997).html

ab_123
1st November 2006, 08:17 AM
Nice pick Sridhar. Soulful song

swathy
1st November 2006, 11:59 AM
Todays pick by tvsankar
Date: November 1
Song: Thena Odum oda karaiyae
Singers: Ilaiyaraja
Movie: Bharani

Listen (http://www.musicindiaonline.com/music/tamil/s/movie_name.4280)

swathy
2nd November 2006, 02:11 PM
usha akka still I didnt get a chance to listen to this song. Please let us know the link if u have got it.

RR
2nd November 2006, 03:45 PM
usha akka still I didnt get a chance to listen to this song. Please let us know the link if u have got it.
Swathy,

I added a link to MIO.

ananth222
3rd November 2006, 12:40 AM
If I may add a song for today,
Date: November 2
Song: Pongum aagaaya gangai
Film: Aagaaya Gangai (1982)
Singers: Gangai Amaran, S. Janaki

link to download:
http://as01.coolgoose.com/music/song.php?id=209648

Starts with guitar strumming and humming, which leads into an excellent bass line and vocal harmonizations. The string interlude is a mini symphony.

swathy
3rd November 2006, 12:09 PM
Thanks RR :-)

Nakeeran
3rd November 2006, 07:39 PM
Hi Swathy,

One suggestion. If u put the song name & the movie title in Subject field, the song's link & page will appear in page 1 of this thread !

This will also help us to identify which are the songs that we have covered already .

For example, just see MSV thread page 1, you will realize it.

Be in touch with Mr. Rajraj ( Moderator ), he will guide you

Bye

swathy
6th November 2006, 08:18 AM
Thanks Nakeeran :-)

swathy
7th November 2006, 11:02 AM
Todays pick by popeye11
Date: November 7
Song: Vaa Vaa Kanmani
Singers: Balasubramaniam S.P.
Movie: Innisai Mazhai
Year of Release : 1992

vasanth2006
7th November 2006, 12:52 PM
Very good Song.

Lot of drums usage in this song.

After the Long drums demonstration and the guidar bit, the song's pallavi will start with the typical IR style triple's beat. ( the triple's beat is used by maestro in many songs. for ex "kadhal kavidhaikal", "poo malaiye thol"). the song's tune creates the pathos mood very well.

this song has the second version also.
The same tune is used in that vaa vaa mannava song with the usage of thabala instead of drums. that shows the creativity of IR.

p.s: swathy singers are SPB+SJ.

Meerakrishna
7th November 2006, 12:57 PM
Va Va kanmani is a duet song sung by SJ and SPB.

Nakeeran
7th November 2006, 01:08 PM
Vaa vaa kanmani is a nice pick Swathy !

The title says it all . Innisai mazai ! There are many songs in this movie

1 Mangai nee mangani ( IR himself ) and also by Surender
2 Oru pachai kodi naan kattinen
3. Oru raga devadhai kadaikan kaatinaal
4. Dhoori dhoori

I think IR composed music as a gratitude towards Shoba Chandraskehar ( Ilaya thalapathi's mother ) in whose troupe he had worked earlier !

Nice song !

swathy
7th November 2006, 04:23 PM
nakeeran todays pick is by popeye11.

Vaa vaa kanmani is a good song. the best from this movie is mangai nee maangani sung by IR

Nakeeran
7th November 2006, 04:52 PM
Why no song link Swathy ?

And why its not appearing in page 1 ?

Have u checked with Mr. Raj Raj ?

I wish to have the alphabetical listing there so that its easy for picking future songs

vasanth2006
7th November 2006, 05:07 PM
the best from this movie is mangai nee maangani sung by IR

beautiful song. i am addicted to this song.
the rhythm pattern of thabala at the pallavi is superb.( while IR singing only, that pattern will come. not for mano singing). at the end of song, IR will sing "rathatha rathatha rara ra........". that is marvellous.

Nakeeran
7th November 2006, 05:12 PM
Vasanth06

The other one was by Surendher I think ( Vijay's uncle )

vasanth2006
7th November 2006, 06:23 PM
Vasanth06

The other one was by Surendher I think ( Vijay's uncle )

ya you are correct. definitely it is not mano. little confusion/laziness. but i am not sure that is S.N.Surendar.

popeye11
7th November 2006, 07:25 PM
Thanks for posting this song Swathy!

This is such an amazing song.. I love the interludes and the violins accompanying 'Va Va Kanmani" towards the end of the song.

All the other songs are good as well.. The songs you guys missed are " Adi Netriravu nadanthathena" which has the similar rhythm patterns as the "Thannerile Mugam Kaatum' from Manikuil and "Therke Parantha Kili"

Absolutely, the pick of the Album would be Mangai nee and Dhoori Dhoori!

popeye11
7th November 2006, 08:59 PM
Here we go guys, the link for 'Va Va Kanmani"

http://music.cooltoad.com/music/song.php?id=88641

swathy
10th November 2006, 09:25 AM
Todays pick by Swathy
Date: November 10
Song: Omkarde kande
Language: Kannada
Singers: Ilaiyaraja, Chithra
Movie: Namma Mandhara Hoove
Year of Release : 1996

Link:
http://www.kannadaaudio.com/Songs/Moviewise/home/NammuraMandaraHovve.php

(click male)

swathy
10th November 2006, 09:35 AM
When I was browsing through the channels in TV, I was stopped by this mesmerising voice. It was a kannada channel and this song was played at the end of a movie. I know only the artists but I didnt have any clue abt the movie and not even the pallavi of the song. I listened for very few seconds. I enquired abt the movie to many people but I didn't get any infm.

Two three months back I heard this song in my aerobics class and then i got the movie title.:-)

Now its in my favourites list.

People who dunno kannada or who dont like kannada also can listen to this song for the amazing tune and for his voice.

Expecting your feedback.

Thanks
Swathy

RR
10th November 2006, 02:03 PM
swathy,

Pls use the subject format like "song name (movie name)". If you use any character other than '(' & ')', it will not get indexed.

swathy
10th November 2006, 07:27 PM
Thanks RR

I have updated as per your format.

Meerakrishna
10th November 2006, 10:54 PM
Kannada movie name is 'Nammoora Mandara Hoove'. This 'Omkarade' good quality song is available in 'udbhava.com' also.

http://www.udbhava.com/udbhava/songs.jsp?id=136

swathy
14th November 2006, 08:30 AM
Todays pick by Raja rasigan
Date: November 14
Song: Malayala karaioram
Singers: Mano
Movie: Rajathi raja

Link: http://tamilcinema.dk/songs/songview.asp?songid=2344

can anyone pls provide me the link?

Hulkster
14th November 2006, 04:03 PM
http://www.tamilsongs.net/page/build/album/Rajaathi_raja/index.html

One of the brilliant melodies in this album..another one is meenamma meenamma..simply catchy..:D...best in this album is yen nenjai thoddu by P Susheela...the WCM expertise in this song creates a very soulful effect. :D

Nakeeran
14th November 2006, 04:16 PM
Todays pick by Raja rasigan
Date: November 14
Song: Malayala karaioram
Singers: Mano
Movie: Rajathi raja

Link:

can anyone pls provide me the link?

Hi Swathy

Once again U havent put the song name and movie title in subject thread :oops:
Unless U put it there, the song will not get listed .
This thread is already grown sizeably and its very difficult to find out which ones have featured already .

Here is the link for the song :

http://tamilcinema.dk/songs/songview.asp?songid=2344

popeye11
14th November 2006, 07:01 PM
This is a very nice song.. The flute and the violins in the song add more granduer making it a extrordinary melody.
Nice Pick.

narayanan
14th November 2006, 08:08 PM
I havent been in this thread for quite sometime, so dont mind if I unearth a few from the past pages.

From page 29:

Song : Ilampani thulir vizum neram
Singer : Shailaja
Movie : Aradhanai
Year : 1981
Stars : Suman & Sumalatha

This song is'nt sung by Shailaja. Its sung by a singer named Radhika (defenitely not actress Radhika). I remember reading somewhere in good old TFMPage discussions that this Radhika sung a few Mallu songs under the name Lathika.

The song has some brilliant guitar work, the guitar-flute interludes are fantastic. One of those long lost IR gems.

vasanth2006
15th November 2006, 10:14 AM
Welcome back Narayanan. :D

i like "Meenamma Meenamma" more than "malayala karaiyoram".

anyway, Good pick. that song picturisation also good.

swathy
15th November 2006, 11:16 AM
sorry nakeeran

i have updated now :-)

swathy
20th November 2006, 09:36 AM
Todays pick by Nakeeran
Date: November 20
Song: O nenjame idhu un ragam
Singers: S.Janaki and Deepan Chakravarthy
Movie: enakaga kathiru

Link:
http://music.coolgoose.com/music/song.php?id=64471&PHPSESSID=addab994b946fd3d9a1466de884ebbcb

Nakeeran
20th November 2006, 06:08 PM
Thanks Swathy for posting O nenjame

Long before, Isainyani showed his class / innovation ! Look at the preludes and interludes especially the second one which will have 2 types of violin , one in the lead and another goes behind !

The compo gives an impact as if we are out during a winter season !

Indha madhiri Isainyaniyai thaaan naanum miga neenda kalamaga kathirukiren !

swathy
21st November 2006, 09:13 AM
thanks nakeeran for introducing this song.

good pick :clap:

rajeshkrv
22nd November 2006, 04:23 AM
Today's pick

"Ovvoru pakkam ovvoru mutham" by Swarnalatha

Movie: Walter vetrivel
Lyrics: Vaali

Ovvoru pakkam didnt get chance in the movie and not ofter heard but it's a beautiful song by Swarnalatha and very nice music by mastero

Walter vetrivel was a IR dhamaka and mannava,chinna rasave, pattu nila and poongatre got theri chances but ovvoru didnt make it

Let me re-introduce ovvoru pakkam to IR fans here
http://us.f13.yahoofs.com/bc/44183decm81065514/bc/My+Folder/ovvorupakkam.mp3?bf5c4YFBGKGSTzB_

Sanjeevi
22nd November 2006, 09:50 AM
What? ippadi oru patta? :shock:

app_engine
22nd November 2006, 07:20 PM
'பேட் யு ஆர் எல்' னு சொல்லுதுங்க...கொஞ்சம் கவனிங்க ராஜேஷ் சார்...

swathy
23rd November 2006, 08:20 AM
yah rajesh. Pls chk the URL again or provide us alternate link.

narayanan
23rd November 2006, 09:23 AM
The compo gives an impact as if we are out during a winter season !

Actually the bass guitar base in this song gives me that feel, similar to Kodai Kaala Kaatre (Panneer Pushpangal), Chinnapoo (Japanil Kalyanaraman). If I remember right, Chinnapoo song has a similar violin medley in one of its interludes. I liked the preludes and interludes too :).

I've never heard this song or the movie it is from :roll: if you know about it, can you add a few lines :D
~~~~~~~
Rajesh,
I could'nt access the song either. But I've heard this song many years back on 'Walter Vetrivel' cassette. As you said, it did'nt have a video in the Walter Vetrivel movie, but I vaguely remember this song being included in some other movie :roll:

I just remember, this song had a lot of kissing sounds all through the length of the song.

rajasaranam
23rd November 2006, 01:25 PM
Here is Ovvoru Pakkam
http://files.filefront.com/OVVORU_PAKKAMrar/;6232126;;/fileinfo.html
sanjeevi,
kettu paarunga excellent song. ippadiyum oru paattu irukku :)
narayanan,
Ungalukku kodai kaala katre nyabagam vantha enakku 'Paatu engey rapaapaa' from poovizhi vasaliley nyabagam varum intha paatu ketkum bodhu. BTW if anybody has 'Paattu engey' please uplaod it :?

narayanan
23rd November 2006, 02:18 PM
rajasaranam,
'Paatingey' paadal ingey -> http://as01.cooltoad.com/music/song.php?id=74345

BTW I was mentioning the feel of the song (misty morning songs)

swathy
25th November 2006, 02:22 PM
Todays pick by ananth
Date: November 25
Song: Kuliradunnu maanathe
Singers: K.J.Yesudas
Movie: Olangal
Language : Malayalam

Link: http://music.cooltoad.com/music/song.php?id=227144

narayanan
27th November 2006, 10:52 AM
I liked the prelude of the song, however neither did I understand the feel of the song, nor the lyrics :(. I liked Vezhambal Kezhum from the same movie very much, its a sad song and whether you know Malayalam or not you can get the feel of it. The KJY effect makes the song a treat to listen :D

ananth222
27th November 2006, 10:37 PM
Thanks swathy for posting my pick!

I like the bass and guitar work in this song.
The bass patterns are great and the arpeggiated guitar chords blend very nicely with it in the pallavi.
The song also shows IRs talent for creating beautiful clean guitar solos in intro and interludes.

I don't understand malayalam that much, so I don't know what the lyrics say.
To me it gives a feeling of sad or subdued optimism similar to say "en gaanam indru arangaerum" from EVK
(which also has an excellent bass pattern blended with arpeggiated chrods).

narayanan
28th November 2006, 09:07 AM
arpeggiated guitar chords

appadina enna ? :roll: which section does this come in the song ?

ananth222
28th November 2006, 10:06 PM
arpeggios: when the notes of a chord are played one after another instead of together.

In the pallavi you can hear the arpeggios.

swathy
30th November 2006, 08:43 AM
Todays pick by Popeye11
Date: November 30
Song: Kadhal Nilave Poove
Singers: Arunmozhi,Uma Ramanan
Movie: Manikuil.

Link:

swathy
30th November 2006, 08:43 AM
Pop : Please let me know the link for this song.

popeye11
30th November 2006, 07:53 PM
Swathy, thanks for posting this song. This is such a haunting melody!.

Sorry i wanst able to find the link anywhere online.. If any of ya'll do please post it..

S.Balaji
30th November 2006, 10:16 PM
Hi all

there are so many wonderful songs of Raja in the late 70s and early 80s . Why very few is featuring here ? Can I list some pls ?

narayanan
1st December 2006, 10:38 AM
Balaji,
there sure are a lot of songs, but there are many songs we wudnt have heard, nor get an electronic copy of it :( Sure go ahead and tell us your list.

thumburu
1st December 2006, 02:00 PM
ananth222, thanks a ton for "KuLiraadunnu" from Olangal. It is ages since I heard this. The bass and other guitar chords, KJY's youthful voice are simply mesmerising

Renault
4th December 2006, 06:07 PM
Panner Pushpangal songs scathed by Kalki.. what's wrong with them..

1. Poonthalir Aaada is high in the list of my all time fav Maestro songs

2. I have seen several times on TV the Panner Pushpangal 75 days shield in Gangai Amaran's cabinet... Just think.. who will have a 75 days shield in a cabinet with his other biggies like Karagattakaaran?

Something insane with the reviewer in Kalki than time.

swathy
7th December 2006, 09:09 AM
Todays pick by Nakeeran
Date: December 7
Song: Kavithai padu kuyile kuyile
Singers: SPB
Movie : Thendrale ennai thodu
Link:
http://as01.cooltoad.com/music/song.php?id=227604

Nakeeran
7th December 2006, 01:54 PM
Hi Swathy

You will have to write the song name and movie in SUBJECT field . else, it will not appear in page 1 :oops:

Please edit your post now .

rajeshkrv
9th December 2006, 12:56 AM
thendrale ennai thodu is a master piece by IR
C.V.Sridhar directed this mohan starrer
he introduced jayashree in this movie.

All songs by IR are stunners and lyrics by vaali

thendral vandhu, kannane nee vara, pudhiya poovidhu, kavihtai paadu etc

ananth222
9th December 2006, 02:25 AM
Great songs in this movie. This is a great song. The drum beat is simple in the first line, which sounds very good. but as he sings "naan ninaitha thirunaal..." maybe the percussion could've kicked in more strongly.

my favorite song in the movie is "thendral vanthu ennai thodum" in hamsanaadam. if you like it, you are gauranteed to love 'minnaaram manathe' from guru (malayalam) which is also in hamsanaadam.

baroque
9th December 2006, 05:10 AM
[tscii:a4f7320462] ‘Kavidhai paadu......’ - Racy, catchy tune, smooth singing by Balu, complementary perky orchestration is a fine song - I am feeling a increased cheerfulness already!
Aahaa!! ‘Thendrale Ennai thodu’ - From enchanting melody ‘thendral vandhu yennai thodum.....’ sung by Yesudos & Janaki, lilting kanmani nee vara.....What an orchestration, upbeat singing by Uma Ramanan & KJY, rhythmic pudhiya poovidhu.... is the finest album from shri.Ilayaraja. These songs linger in our hearts forever! [/tscii:a4f7320462]

narayanan
11th December 2006, 09:37 AM
Thendrale ennai Thodu is a classic Mike Mohan album, the story is utter nonsense, but is well remembered for the songs.

I like this song for SPB's singing, the interludes are really good. somehow like 'Thendral Vandhu' more than any other song in this album.

swathy
12th December 2006, 09:02 AM
All the songs are good in this movie as many said. I like kannane nee vara kaathirundhen jannalai paarthirundhen. beautiful song

swathy
12th December 2006, 02:11 PM
Todays pick by tvsankar
Date: December 12
Song: Kannanai Kaanbeynaa
Singers: K.S.Chithra
Movie : Manithanin Marupakkam
Year of Release : 1986

Link : http://music.cooltoad.com/music/song.php?id=258261

ananth222
13th December 2006, 06:39 AM
Lovely song, thanks for introducing this.
Is it hindolam? but uses high "ni" in "neerum ennai..." (Channdrakauns/maalkauns mix?)
classic IR mix of carnatic melodies with bluesy interludes.

narayanan
13th December 2006, 09:29 AM
Ushakka thanks for the song, liked it a lot. Very nice mix of classical and interludes. I recently (in the last 2-3 months) saw Manidhanin Marupakkam, dont remember seeing this song at all :roll:. I like 'Oomai Nenjin' as well as 'Sandhosham Idhu' from this movie which I've heard earlier.

tvsankar
13th December 2006, 11:01 AM
DEar Swathy,
Thanks for the link.Indha thread ai munbu pol active aga vaithu kollla kettu kolgiren....

Dear ananth222,

Neengal solvadhu pol Hindholam,Channdrakauns,maalkanus mix enru dhan naanum kelvi paten.Andha azhagukuthan indha padal enkau migavum pidikum.

Dear naryanan,

Welcome.Ungalai kanom enru missing hubbers la kettu parthen.Romba busy nu kelvi paten.Munbu pol indha thread ku vandhu participate pannunga...

With Love,
Usha Sankar.

tvsankar
13th December 2006, 11:06 AM
Dear narayanan,
Inru varai indha padam parkum neram varavillai.
Indha padathil irukum padal ellam GEMS.

Kannanai song padathil illai neru dhan ninaikiren. Anal, engal local video vil indha padalukana picturisation parthen.Good picturisation...

With LOve,
Usha Sankar.

raja_fan
13th December 2006, 12:39 PM
Thendrale Ennai Thodu !

Excellent example of what IR said "Ennidam vandhu kotta padum ethanaiyo kuppaigallukku isai amaithirukkiraen".

No story till the end ! The hero and heroine misunderstand each other without proper reasons in turns ! Without the songs, nobody would have remembered the movie name till this date.

crvenky
13th December 2006, 03:06 PM
Usha madam,
Thanks for your lovely selection. This song is there in the movie. Sivakumar attends the classical dance programme of Radha. He is a professional photographer. You can infer from the 2nd interlude that he dreams about Radha in modern dresses, as he shoots models for various advertisements.

swathy
19th December 2006, 02:46 PM
Todays pick by ananth
Date: December 19
Song: Alaipaayuthe kanna
Singers: K.J.Yesudass,S.Janaki
Movie : Eththanai Konam Eththanai Paarvai
Year of Release : 1983

Link : http://as01.coolgoose.com/music/song.php?id=99572

ananth222
19th December 2006, 10:30 PM
Thanks for posting the song swathy!

Our Raaja has shown how to recreate carnatic classics, without resorting to chorused voice, reverbed sruti box and synthesized drum loops.

I hope others will enjoy.

narayanan
20th December 2006, 11:41 AM
I remember reading (surely somewhere in TFMPage), songs based on Ragam Kanada (and its variants) have a lot of lovable songs. Alaipayuthey Kanna is among the top picks. This is the 3rd version am hearing (the 1st from Alaipayuthey, 2nd rendered by Maharajapuram Santhanam) all good in their own way. I loved this one too and heard it about a dozen times since it was posted last afternoon. Two aspects I liked are: Yesudas and the *ludes. The flutes in the 2nd interlude is too hard to ignore, especially the way they finish up the interlude. Only then did I realize the nice veena-guitar(?) 1st interlude. The violin prelude sets the mood to a classical song. There is a short mridangam piece that comes before 'Kuzhal oodhidum pozhudhu aadidum' thats distinctly noticeable too.

The duet gives a feel similar to Gopangane in Bharatham, I imagined this song to be picturized the same way too :roll:

ananth,
thanks for the song. can you tell us more information about the movie and song picturization if you know any ?

This song in chorus (read female chorus) done in perfect sync and choice of voices are a treat to ears :).
~~~~~~
I have one question, is it 'kanindha un venuganam kaatril varugithe' or 'varuguthe' ? I have vague memories, I've heard the same in Maharajapuram's version too :roll:

ananth222
20th December 2006, 01:29 PM
narayanan,

thanks for the detailed review! :)

I loved the percussion work throughout the song, its simply brilliant. especially in the part "kaditha manathil iruthi pathathai enakku alithu magizhthavaa", the interplay of mridangam and vocals is beautifully done. And it connects very nicely with the mridangam solo bit before "kuzhaloodhidum pozhudhu". KJY voice is awesome, SJ sounds a little filmy for this song imo but adds a nice flavor to the song.

Can anyone clarify if the thaalam plain adithaalam or is it deshadi?

Yes, there are several aspects about this song that are quite captivating. It doesn't tire even after repeating several times continuously!

I have no idea about the movie or the picturasation, I just stumbled into this song while browsing around. The other songs in the movie are also excellent, but I could not find good complete recordings of them. You can find pieces of the songs on cooltoad if you search "ethanai paarvai". If someone has good versions of the other songs please share.

swathy
23rd December 2006, 11:57 AM
Todays pick by baroque
Date: December 23
Song: Sindhu nadhikarai ooram
Singers: Soundararajan T M, Susheela P
Movie : Nallathoru kudumbam
Lyrics:Kannadasan

Link : http://www.musicindiaonline.com/music/tamil/s/movie_name.4998/

swathy
23rd December 2006, 12:00 PM
beautiful song baroque. thks for introducing :-)

vasanth2006
25th December 2006, 05:27 PM
Very good pick baroque.

one of the good song of IR-TMS combo. but if the song sings by jayachadran, then that could be opt for that tune.

anyway good pick.

swathy
1st January 2007, 11:52 AM
Todays pick by Swathy
Date: January 01-2007
Song: Madai thirandhu
Singers: S.P.Balasubramaniyam
Movie : Nizhalgal
Year of Release : 1980

Link : http://music.cooltoad.com/music/song.php?id=173485

swathy
1st January 2007, 12:33 PM
An exciting and hopeful opening for the new year. :)

tvsankar
1st January 2007, 05:48 PM
Dear Swathy,
Nice pick. IR + SPB + Vairamuthu + Bharathi Raja combo vin oru GEM...

An exciting and hopeful opening for the new year.. Of Song of the Day Thread nu serthikonga....

Swathy, Neenga nenacha seri..... :thumbsup: :swinghead:

With Love,
Usha Sankar.

WISH YOU ALL A HAPPY NEW YEAR !!!!!!!!!!

vasanth2006
1st January 2007, 10:41 PM
Nice Pick Swathy..... :D

The starting Bass guidar is rocking......mind blowing tune......
Excellent orchastration with attractive harmonium bit.........
SPB's voice is blistering........

Another interesting thing is maestro himself acted small scene for this song.....

Very Good Pick............

Sanjeevi
2nd January 2007, 09:48 AM
Happy New year to all IR fans :D

Nakeeran
2nd January 2007, 05:06 PM
Thats a masterpiece from Maestro isainyani Swathy !

have u seen the picturisation ? IR will appear during the words - Kalam kanindhadhu kadhavugal thirandhadhu !

pudhu ragam padaithadhale NAANUM IRAIVANE . Vow vow !! He is our Raga devan !

Excellent choice . Good start to new year .

Pl also put the song name and movie title in post subject field .

swathy
2nd January 2007, 07:23 PM
Thanks usha akka, vasanth,sanjeevi,nakeeran.

swathy
4th January 2007, 08:58 AM
Todays pick by Nakeeran
Date: January 04
Song: Manadhil enna ninaivugalo
Singers: SPB - Shailaja
Movie : Poonthalir

Link : http://www.tfmpage.com/cgi-bin/stream.pl?url=http://www.dhool.com/sotd/manadhil.rm

tvsankar
4th January 2007, 09:36 AM
Dear Swathy,
Thanks for the execellent pick....
En alltime favourite song idhu.IR in Oru azhagana Haunting tune.Due to SPB's rendtion, it looks evergreen melody.

With LOve,
Usha Sankar.

Nakeeran
4th January 2007, 03:05 PM
Thanks Swathy.

Poonthalir has 3 more splendid songs of Raja .

1. Vaa ponmayile nenjam ekathil thavikudhu

2. Raja chinna raja poonthalire

3. Madha un kovilil mani deepam etrinen

One of the evergreen hits of Isainyani .

Our SOTD has 3 different interludes ( typical of IR ) . I love the 3rd one always.

swathy
4th January 2007, 04:14 PM
usha akka that is nakeeran's pick

tvsankar
4th January 2007, 10:00 PM
DEar Nakeeran,
Madha un kovilil is from "Achani".

One more song IN Poondhalir is "NYan nyan padanam"
by Jency.

With Love,
Usha Sankar.

ananth222
5th January 2007, 01:01 AM
Manathil enna ninaivugalo! great song, its been one of my favorites ever since I've heard it. Great interludes. Its got an MSV'ish touch to it, don't you think? very nice effect is created by male voice going down the scale and finishing low, and female voice starts high on "manathil".

Thanks for posting this song, it made me hunt through my vintage IR song mp3s and listen to some great classics. All songs in Poonthalir are great.

music man
6th January 2007, 07:18 PM
Hi friends!!!!i need the original ENNADI MUNIYAMMA song...from the film vanga mappilai vanga....can anyone post plzzz.thanks in advance

swathy
8th January 2007, 08:55 AM
hi music man

Please use the link

http://www.forumhub.mayyam.com/hub/viewtopic.php?t=3220

swathy
8th January 2007, 02:18 PM
Todays pick by Vasanth
Date: January 08
Song: Malayil yaro
Singers: swarnalatha
Movie : chathriyan
Year of Release : 1990

Link : http://music.cooltoad.com/music/song.php?id=254531

vasanth2006
11th January 2007, 07:34 PM
Thanks swathy for posting this song. :)

Such an wonderful melody....

this song will take in to the another dream world....

beautiful tune....

Ethanai thadavai kettalum salikkatha song.... it sounds always fresh.....

No comments for this song??? :shock: :roll:

p.s: the MD devisriprasad came in sun music special program. anantha kannan asked his fav song?
DSP immediately said "enga thalaivar ilaiyarajavudaiya malayil yaro".

swathy
12th January 2007, 08:13 AM
Very good melody song.

also picturised well.

swathy
12th January 2007, 08:16 AM
Todays pick by Ananth
Date: January 12
Song: Mazhai varuvathu mayilukku theriyum
Singers: S.Janaki
Movie : Rishimoolam
Link : http://www.raaga.com/channels/tamil/movie/T0000978.html

Nakeeran
12th January 2007, 12:52 PM
Mazai varuvadhu is a good fast paced tune but the picturisation was aweful. KR Vijaya , running like PT Usha is something indigestable. Many such IR songs were wasted by unimaginative picturisation .

Forget it. The flute prelude and the tabla support is vintage IR !

ananth222
12th January 2007, 10:47 PM
Thanks for posting this song.

I read somewhere that this song is in the raagam Sindhu Bhairavi, and employs a carnatic vocal technique called 'brigha', which involves singing the arohanam and avarohanam (up and down scale) notes very fast. Janaki has done a wonderful job singing it. The intro and interludes are beautiful, vintage IR.

I had no idea abt the video. now everytime I hear this song I have to try hard not to picture KR Vijaya in my mind! :?

The movie also has some other nice songs, esp. "aimbathlum aasai varum" (shows traces of 'mumbai se aaya mera dost'?) and "neramithu neramithu". wonderful songs!

swathy
16th January 2007, 11:27 AM
Thanks for posting this song.

I had no idea abt the video. now everytime I hear this song I have to try hard not to picture KR Vijaya in my mind! :?

:rotfl:

swathy
16th January 2007, 11:33 AM
Todays pick by Swathy
Date: January 16
Song: Machi Mannaru
Singers: IR,Chithra
Movie : En Uyir Thozhan
Link : http://www.tamilsongs.net/page/build/album/En_Uyir_Thozhan/index.html

eagle
16th January 2007, 04:29 PM
Jaya TV again going to telecast the "andrum indrum" show by today evening 6'0 clock. If any one is having the facility to record it pls do it as Jaya TV is unlikely to bring the DVD version.

ananth222
17th January 2007, 12:20 AM
"En Uyir Thozhan" has some wonderful songs. I am surprised that you chose this one though. I would have preferred "kuyilukkuppam" or "ye raasaathi". "kuyilukkuppam" has nice IR style orchestrations, "ye raasaathi" is different, with interesting harmonisations. "Machi mannaru" sounds like a more 'colloquial', but still has good orchestrations.

Another GEM from this movie is this BGM track:
http://www.ee.duke.edu/~vijay/BGM/eyt/enuyirthozhanBGM.mp3

if you've not heard it, don't miss it. its 2:41 long and is mesemrising from start to finish (especially the second half)!

swathy
17th January 2007, 08:10 AM
The other songs you have mentioned are much familar and also you can see the visual but this one doesnot come in the movie so I thought of introducing for people who are not aware of it.

thumburu
18th January 2007, 02:17 PM
ananth222, "mazhai varuvadhu" is a mind blower in Shamugapriya and not SindhuBairavi. The appeal lies in the western feel to a carnatic raga like shanmugapriya which we have got accustomed to from MDs like KVM etc. Even in "tham thana namthana", IR gives a western hue to Shanmugapriya.
In "mazhai varuvadhu" , the fast tempo mridhangam, SJs brisk , joyful singing, the interplay between veenai, flute in the ludes, the violins playing western notes in between the charanam lines... undoubtedly Raja's creative best is the best period in TFM history

ananth222
18th January 2007, 10:41 PM
ananth222, "mazhai varuvadhu" is a mind blower in Shamugapriya and not SindhuBairavi.

Thanks for the correction!
I love tham thana too, its an awesome song. I think "kannukkul nooru nilava" is also like tham thana, but by some other MD. but you can see the class in tham thana namthana!

irir123
19th January 2007, 12:46 AM
From: Nakeeran on Fri Jan 12 3:22:33 2007."Mazai varuvadhu is a good fast paced tune but the picturisation was aweful. KR Vijaya , running like PT Usha is something indigestable. Many such IR songs were wasted by unimaginative picturisation ."

KR Vijaya running like PT Usha ??#@&*(^<?>?? - given the sheer 'vilaasamaana' physical size of KRV (with 'maranadi mallappaa' sized arms and a waistline resembling a hippopotamus whose dietary habits have gone awry!) during the time of Rishimoolam release, it must have been a punishment for the moviegoers of that time! and I suppose it must have been 'creatively' picturised with KRV running drenched in rain!?

swathy
19th January 2007, 02:27 PM
Todays pick by Nakeeran
Date: January 19
Song: Metti oli kaatrodu en nenjai thalaata
Singers: Raja
Movie : Metti
Link :
http://www.tfmpage.com/cgi-bin/stream.pl?url=http://www.dhool.com/sotd/mettioli.rm

ananth222
20th January 2007, 02:45 AM
what a coincidence, I was just listening to Metti songs and thinking of suggesting "sandhakkavigal paadidum manathinil" for SOTD. nice to see this song here. both songs are really good.

"metti oli" has a beautiful intro, the humming between SJ and IR is really sweet. Great melody and nice interludes.

swathy
23rd January 2007, 10:33 AM
Todays pick by Vasanth
Date: January 23
Song: Nadham en jeevane
Singers: S. Janaki
Movie : Kadhal Oviyam
Link : http://www.arthika.net/1234TB/inter/kadhaloviyam/TamilBeat.Com%20-%20Nadham%20En.mp3

Nakeeran
23rd January 2007, 12:54 PM
The whole movie is a musical feast ! Great choice Swathy . Thanks Vasanth.

Isainyani should have got national award for this movie . Sad

Sangeetha jathi mullai is my favourite.

rajeshkrv
23rd January 2007, 11:48 PM
except for the songs the movie was a crap from bharathiraja

IR's tunes are awesome

ananth222
24th January 2007, 12:27 AM
The whole movie is a musical feast !

musical feast is the word! All songs are brilliant. My favorite is "Nathiyil aadum poovanam", a beautiful song in kalyani, set in 7 beats. Of course, theres the awesome "sangeetha jaathi mullai". incidentally, I found this interesting anecdote about that song:

For the movie Kathal Oviyam, IR had requested SPB to come and sing the song "Sangeetha Jaathi Mullai". SPB first refused saying he was very busy that day and had other stuff to do, and finally agreed on the condition that it will be done by 10AM. The recording finally was over at 3pm the same day. The phrase which caused the delay was "Kuyile Kuyile Untha Ragam Nenjil Indru Aadum." If you remember the song - at "Aadum" the tune reaches a crescendo (ri Ri) and then descends (to sa). Originally the descending portion was to be sung as sndpmgrs (avarohanam), but apparently SPB couldn't sing it. IR remaked "Ennapa SNDPMGRS paada mudiyaliyaa." IR had to simplified the tune twice before SPB was able to sing it correctly and the third version is what we hear today.

It is from this blog:
http://thoppus.blogspot.com/2004/06/isaignani-ilaiyaraaja-as-close-as-it.html
which has lots of such anecdotes. Please note that the "Ananth" mentioned there is not me, its some other lucky guy :(

tvsankar
24th January 2007, 12:16 PM
Dear Swathy,
Thanks for the beautiful song. IR in oru Great GEM.
My favourite no.Lyric is awesome.

Vizhi illadha oruvaruku jeevan nadham dhanae..

Kadhal vandha kadhali kadhalanai(vizhi illadha) solgiral...

"NADHAM EN JEEVANAE'' - Azhanga varnanai.....

Avan mel vandha anbin mighudhiyil,
'VIZHI AGI VIDAVA' enna oru arudhal varthai....
SJ in rendition il pasam koppalikum.....

Enna oru pasamana varthai.... Great VAIRAMUTHU....

With Love,
Usha Sankar.

swathy
26th January 2007, 08:40 AM
Todays pick by Ananth
Date: January 26
Song: Nil nil nil badhil sol sol sol
Singers: IR and Uma Ramanan
Movie : Paattu Paadavaa (1995)
Link : http://as01.coolgoose.com/music/song.php?id=249303

Meerakrishna
26th January 2007, 01:27 PM
Nil Nil Nil- song has sung by IR and Uma Ramanan.

swathy
26th January 2007, 01:29 PM
oh thanks meera.

i missed to update :cry:

Nakeeran
26th January 2007, 06:45 PM
I like Nil nil nil for the superb rhythm.
More or less, the same pattern was used for Malaikovil vasalil karthigai deepam minnudhe also I think

This song is for Rehman I think .

Vintage Raja at his best !

ananth222
27th January 2007, 12:31 AM
Thanks Swathy for posting the song.

This song has a beautiful intro. Nice rhythm and music throughout. It is classic IR, with a tinge of modernism in the orchestration. This is exactly the kind of stuff I wish he would produce today.

"poongaatrile" is also a great song form this film.

rajeshkrv
28th January 2007, 10:38 AM
nil nil nil is a beautiful song

Tune is perfect .. Lyrics by vaali

swathy
29th January 2007, 07:28 PM
Todays pick by Nakeeran
Date: January 29
Song: Ilamai ennum poonkatru
Movie : Pagalil oru iravu
Link :http://www.musicplug.in/songs.php?movieid=2397

Nakeeran
29th January 2007, 07:32 PM
Swathy

IMO, Ilamai ennum is one of the top 25 compos of Isainyani !
Extrordinary stuff .
Superb orchestration. I believe the audience were stunned to hear such a new type of orchestration .
The song looks refreshingly new even today !

Listen to the prelude. Its a thunderous start !

Raja at his youthful best

app_engine
29th January 2007, 07:46 PM
All the I V Sashi / IR combo songs were splendid and "iLamai enum poongAtRu" is the top most!

ananth222
31st January 2007, 02:18 AM
"Ilamaiyenum poongaatru" is one of the great ethereal melodies that Raaja was churning out on a regular basis, along with "en iniya pon", "paruvame" etc. They just take me to a different world (wishing I was born in the 60s, and in the prime of youth when these songs came out!)

swathy
2nd February 2007, 02:33 PM
[tscii:d72bdfc451]Today’s pick by tvsankar
Date: February 2
Song: Enakku Piditha paadal
Singers: Shreya Goshal / Vijay Yesudass
Movie : Julie Ganapathy
Link :

Can anyone provide me the link?
[/tscii:d72bdfc451]

swathy
2nd February 2007, 02:36 PM
beautiful song usha akka . thanks :)

Sanjeevi
2nd February 2007, 03:21 PM
The whole movie is a musical feast ! Great choice Swathy . Thanks Vasanth.

Isainyani should have got national award for this movie . Sad

Sangeetha jathi mullai is my favourite.

I like velli salangaigal too. What a starting humming by SPB and the what a music wov

Sanjeevi
2nd February 2007, 03:21 PM
swathy, how do you pick the song by somebody? :roll:

Nakeeran
2nd February 2007, 05:17 PM
swathy, how do you pick the song by somebody? :roll:

V send PMs to Swathy with the song details & relevant links

swathy
4th February 2007, 03:31 PM
Thanks Nakeeran :)

Sanjeevi: They send their pick in the same format to me thru PM.

tvsankar
5th February 2007, 09:20 AM
Dear SWathy,
Thanks for the pick.

Link - http://www.musicindiaonline.com/music/tamil/s/movie_name.4542/

Beauty of the songs are,

1.IR in GUITAR.Enna azhagu.Adakamaga, anal porupaga varum oru flow.....

2.Shreya vin Voice with chinna chinna mazhalai pronounciation...

3.Most Beautiful Lyrics - in my opinion...

4. MOod of the song...

Vijay Yeusudas version

Oru Azhuthamana expressions..
UN manaaaadhu pogum

Kadhal noyiku marnnnnnnndhu thannnndhu - i like the way (mallu sound)

Yesudas in oru Nalla Varisu....... Nalla Bhavam...

Thank you once again Swathy...

With Love,
Usha Sankar.

swathy
8th February 2007, 02:05 PM
[tscii:ac82639bfc]Today’s pick by Ananth
Date: February 8
Song: Intha ulagil naan irunthaalum
Singers: Shalini Singh
Movie : Madhu (2006)
Link : http://www.oosai.com/tamilsongs/madhu_songs.cfm [/tscii:ac82639bfc]

Parker
8th February 2007, 03:21 PM
enakku piditha paadal is a wonderful song,especially Shreya's voice.!

thumburu
8th February 2007, 07:01 PM
"enakku pidhitha paadal" enakku migavum piditha paadal . Very soothing melody in Dharbari Kaanada scale.

ananth222
10th February 2007, 12:31 AM
Thanks for posting the song Swathy.

"Intha ulagil naan irunthaalum" is a beautiful song where Raaja has retained his acoustic charm in a recent composition. It is filled with beautiful piano and string sections, with no synth sounds. The piano intro and interludes are great, and the melody is really sweet and Shalini sung it sweetly. A refreshingly vibrant acoustic sound in a period dominated by synths.

"Nilavai sutri" and "ketkavillaiya" are also good songs from the same movie.

swathy
14th February 2007, 10:04 AM
[tscii:546acf9a03]Today’s pick by Swathy
Date: February 14
Song: Ennulle Ennulle
Singers: Swarnalatha
Movie : Valli
Link: http://www.musicindiaonline.com/music/tamil/s/movie_name.5658/[/tscii:546acf9a03]

Nakeeran
14th February 2007, 01:40 PM
Mesmerizing song Swathy !

One of the top class song , very best of IR

The song gave life to the movie

but I dont think its by Chitra .

raja_fan
14th February 2007, 02:42 PM
Swathy,

Ennulle Ennulle is by Swarnalatha.

swathy
14th February 2007, 03:16 PM
Thanks nakeeran,rajafan :)

baroque
15th February 2007, 02:57 AM
[tscii:7c232bb7cc]Mesmerizing song, Ilayaraja’s ‘longing sense’- viragadhaabum songs are spectacular like ‘yennullil yengo..’-Vani Jay’s stunner, Mogamul Janaki solo and of course this Swarna delight-‘ennulil ennulil...’. There is no percussion instrument(no drums, no tabla etc..) throughout the song! Amazing chorus humming!! The mirudhangam prelude will blow you away! Thanks to DHOOL.COM, they have hosted with the prelude! check it out!
http://www.dhool.com/sotd2/40.html
Thanks Swathi![/tscii:7c232bb7cc]

swathy
15th February 2007, 08:22 AM
Thanks Baroque

ananth222
15th February 2007, 10:11 AM
It was interesting to hear the mridangam intro, I was not aware of this. Thanks for link.

The song has a beautiful guitar intro, a hauntingly captivating melody and beautiful classical orchestration. Hearing interludes like this leaves me wondering why Raaja doesn't release his symphony.

swathy
20th February 2007, 08:03 AM
[tscii:f559d42379]Today’s pick by NAKEERAN
Date: February 20
Song: Vaa ponmayile , nenjam yekathil thavikkudhu
Movie : Poonthalir
Link : http://as01.coolgoose.com/music/song.php?id=201431&PHPSESSID=9685bd71a2252186e63a4ee5a8d51e05 [/tscii:f559d42379]

Sanjeevi
20th February 2007, 10:47 AM
An amazing song, one of my all time favourite :D

But swathy/nakeeran you are wrong, the film name is not METTI (is it Poonthalir?).

BTW, athu enna Just two days more .........

Nakeeran
20th February 2007, 01:14 PM
Yes. Swathy, Vaa ponmayile is fm Poonthalir only

baroque
21st February 2007, 02:17 AM
[tscii:7ea223909a]Dramatic violin with inviting, expressive,calm wind instrument prelude... romantic Balu’s joyful longing ‘Vaa ponmayiley nenjam.....’ excited kutti violin gestures/ flute calls reinforcing the vocalist longing!! Total Satisfaction fill your heart with this early Raaja treasure!
[/tscii:7ea223909a]

kiru
21st February 2007, 03:47 AM
I think baroque is referring to the violin 'fills' in the pallavi. Unlike, the new songs which have a different 'rhythm arrangement' most of the time, IR songs had the 'same old tabla' all the time, but he was able to give a new character to the songs, just with the 'fills' (among other differentiating techniques). Unfortunately, even in new songs from IR, I do not see such refreshing instrument phrases, either 'fills', preludes or chorus/humming. I dont mean to stir a controversary in this thread, but wanted to point the refreshing aspects of old songs that I enjoy. I can listen to 'thaalattuthE vaanam' (from kadal meengal) million times - the prelude, the string fills by themselves (in pallavi) or in combination with flute (in charanam) ..wow.

baroque
21st February 2007, 06:20 AM
Kiru, Please listen to the following songs to enjoy the sonic/rhythmic gestures with vocals(lucky us-Lover boy) or instruments especially with wind instruments!
I noticed them when we were talking about styles of Raaja in Rock/jazz/blues and rhythms etc..

1. Watch for wind instruments and balu's sonic gestures in 'vaazhavaikkum kadhalukku...'-aboorva sagodharargal
2.Kalam kaalamaaga...Punnagai mannan with violin guestures with Balu's sonic gestures
3. Vaa vaa pakkam vaa... too!
Awesome rhythms, decorating them with these gestures,yenakku Raaja vey pesaraa maari yerukkum!
Please add more...

baroque
21st February 2007, 06:58 AM
[tscii:0b50e2d23e]Kiru & all, My post to the group in 'IR blows away rhythms, rhythms more rhythms!'
‘ Vaazhavaikkum kadhalukku....’ Aboorva Sagodarargal the drums played the same way.This song caught my eyes when I was listening to Bepop jazz ‘ pudhu mappillaikku...’. The melody style is kind of reassuring & responding to each other in 'Vaazhavaikkum...'.

Ilayaraja blows away with lilting , groovy rhythm. Listen to the drums(Steady, ornamented with a neerkumizhi moving around rhythm in the interlude too ! Something going on Bigtimes!!-Way to go Raaja!)

Raaja has used the instrument trumpet to give a short melodic passage to add decoration in the prelude & first interlude.

Wind instrument playing short bursts at ‘naanam yenna...’,’...meianaika’ ‘then mozhiyum....vekkam vittu pakkam nirkka’, ‘pen manadhu ....konja konja’---- giving rhythmic gestures too!!

Sonic gestures by Balu !! Way to go Lover boy - SPB ROCKS!!
http://www.musicindiaonline.com/music/tamil/s/movie_name.4121/

One of our group member brought ‘Kaalam kaalamaaga...’-Punnagai mannan to our attention! Like Vaazhavaikkum kadhalukku....’ Aboorva Sagodarargal the drums played the same way.The melody style is kind of reassuring & responding to each other. Fantastic violin passages!! In ‘kaalam kaalamaga.....’ too Balu does exuberant sonic gestures at the charanam.
http://www.musicindiaonline.com/music/tamil/s/movie_name.5073/

Dashing Ilayaraja in `vaa vaa pakkam vaa....'-Thangamagan!!
Like `vaazhavaikkum...'- Aboorva sagodarargal and `kaala
kaalamaga...' - Punnagai Mannan, the drums play like an
ornament.
Added to it some kind of shaking-kulukkara maari/ shuffling rhythm
too!!
Horn/wind instrument playing a beautiful melodic passage in the
interlude!!
Again sonic & rhythmic gestures to reinforce the vocals!!
Listen to second interlude with humming, shouting out scat singing
followed by that shuffling rhythm!
What a `call & response' with loud characteristic utterance
format of genre `BLUES' melody plus specialty rhythm song!!
Here Ilayaraja recruits Virtuous Vani Jayaram to tackle Lover boy's
audacity!!!
My favorite singers VaniJ & Balu never fail to awe struck
Ilayaraja!
From bajans, classical music to Hip Hop Vani & Balu are
fashionable!!!
http://www.musicindiaonline.com/music/tamil/s/movie_name.5492/

[/tscii:0b50e2d23e]

swathy
21st February 2007, 10:29 AM
Yes. Swathy, Vaa ponmayile is fm Poonthalir only

done :)

Sanjeevi
21st February 2007, 10:32 AM
Yesterday i watched some starting scenes from Poonthalir (KTV at midnight). There was a Malayalam song in the movie and saw another one song which was not impressed me. Only Vaa ponmayilae is good song in the film?

Nakeeran
21st February 2007, 12:59 PM
Sanjeevi

How come you have missed out Manadhil enna ninaivugalo !! beautiful song .

app_engine
21st February 2007, 08:44 PM
And the PS number 'rAjA, chinna rAjA, poonthaLirE, inbakkaniyE, unnai nenjil sErthukkoLLa, nALum vAdum nenjam...' is a sweet thalAttu..

See the variety in a small album:

vA ponmayilE - SPB solo - very nostaligic song of the "longing-with-love" genre, catchy pallavi and nice accompaniments

manadhil enna ninaivugaLO - SPB/SPS duet - innovative rhythm pattern for the time period, excellent singing by Balu (watch out for his humming support when the female voice sings - great work), a decent tune and great guitar work

The sweet PS thAlAttu mentioned above

And the malayALam song by Jency...not bad either...

Enga Sanjeevi sir, oru ordinary movie'kku ivvaLavu sincere'A work paNNi irukkAr Raja...may be the visuals turned you off -I've never seen the movie, but the songs are quite close to my heart...

swathy
21st February 2007, 10:41 PM
[html:948aef8635]http://www.mayyam.com/contribs/swathy/MaestroAtWork.jpg[/html:948aef8635]

:2thumbsup: :thumbsup: :clap: :2thumbsup: :thumbsup: :clap: :2thumbsup: :thumbsup: :clap: :2thumbsup: :thumbsup: :clap: :2thumbsup: :thumbsup: :clap: :2thumbsup: :thumbsup: :clap: :2thumbsup: :thumbsup: :clap: :2thumbsup: :thumbsup: :clap: :2thumbsup: :thumbsup: :clap: :2thumbsup: :thumbsup: :clap: :2thumbsup: :thumbsup: :clap: :2thumbsup: :thumbsup: :clap: :2thumbsup: :thumbsup: :clap: :2thumbsup: :thumbsup: :clap: :2thumbsup: :thumbsup: :clap::2thumbsup: :thumbsup: :clap: :2thumbsup: :thumbsup: :clap: :2thumbsup: :thumbsup: :clap:

UNABLE TO BELIEVE BUT ITS TRUE

YOU MADE IT TO HAPPEN

IR SOTD IS CELEBRATING ITS FIRST ANNIVERSARY TODAY

[html:948aef8635]http://www.mayyam.com/contribs/swathy/Padhai.jpg[/html:948aef8635]

:bluejump: :bluejump: :bluejump: :bluejump: :bluejump: :bluejump::bluejump::bluejump::bluejump::bluejump: :bluejump::bluejump::bluejump: :bluejump: :bluejump: :bluejump: :bluejump: :bluejump::bluejump::bluejump::bluejump::bluejump: :bluejump::bluejump::bluejump: :bluejump: :bluejump: :bluejump: :bluejump: :bluejump::bluejump::bluejump::bluejump::bluejump: :bluejump::bluejump::bluejump: :bluejump: :bluejump: :bluejump: :bluejump: :bluejump::bluejump::bluejump::bluejump::bluejump: :bluejump::bluejump::bluejump: :bluejump: :bluejump: :bluejump: :bluejump: :bluejump::bluejump::bluejump::bluejump::bluejump: :bluejump::bluejump::bluejump: :bluejump: :bluejump: :bluejump: :bluejump: :bluejump::bluejump::bluejump::bluejump::bluejump: :bluejump::bluejump::bluejump::bluejump::bluejump: :bluejump::bluejump::bluejump::bluejump::bluejump: :bluejump::bluejump::bluejump:

A THREAD WITH LESS OR NO SPAMMING

[html:948aef8635]http://www.mayyam.com/contribs/swathy/Pagaliravu.jpg[/html:948aef8635]

A THREAD WITH NO ARGUEMENTS

:redjump: :redjump: :redjump: :redjump: :redjump: :redjump::redjump: :redjump: :redjump: :redjump: :redjump: :redjump: :redjump::redjump: :redjump: :redjump: :redjump: :redjump: :redjump: :redjump::redjump: :redjump: :redjump: :redjump: :redjump: :redjump: :redjump::redjump: :redjump: :redjump: :redjump: :redjump: :redjump: :redjump::redjump: :redjump: :redjump: :redjump: :redjump: :redjump: :redjump::redjump: :redjump: :redjump: :redjump: :redjump: :redjump: :redjump::redjump: :redjump: :redjump:

MY SINCERE THANKS TO ALL THE PARTICIPANTS.

[html:948aef8635]http://www.mayyam.com/contribs/swathy/raaja1.jpg[/html:948aef8635]

:ty: :ty: :ty: :ty: :ty: :ty::ty: :ty: :ty: :ty: :ty: :ty: :ty: :ty: :ty: :ty: :ty: :ty: :ty: :ty: :ty: :ty: :ty::ty: :ty: :ty: :ty: :ty: :ty: :ty: :ty: :ty: :ty: :ty: :ty: :ty: :ty: :ty: :ty: :ty::ty: :ty: :ty: :ty: :ty: :ty: :ty: :ty: :ty: :ty: :ty:

SPECIAL THANKS TO RAJA SARANAM FOR SUGGESTING AND MAKING WAY TO AN ORGANIZED THREAD

ALSO I THANK NAKEERAN FOR BRINGING BACK ALIVE

:boo: :boo: :boo: :boo: :boo: :boo: :boo: :boo: :boo: :boo: :boo: :boo: :boo: :boo: :boo: :boo: :boo: :boo: :boo: :boo: :boo: :boo: :boo: :boo: :boo: :boo: :boo: :boo: :boo: :boo: :boo: :boo: :boo: :boo: :boo: :boo: :boo: :boo: :boo: :boo: :boo: :boo: :boo: :boo: :boo: :boo: :boo: :boo: :boo: :boo: :boo: :boo: :boo: :boo: :boo: :boo: :boo: :boo: :boo: :boo:

I HESITATE EACH TIME TO ASK THE HUBBERS TO SEND THEIR CHOICE BY PM AND NOT TO POST DIRECTLY BUT ALL THE HUBBERS ACCEPTED GENTLY AND NOW MY INBOX ALWAYS CONTAIN A BIG LIST.

Nandri Nandri Nandri Nandri Nandri Nandri Nandri Nandri Nandri

:swinghead: :swinghead: :swinghead: :swinghead: :swinghead: :swinghead: :swinghead: :swinghead: :swinghead: :swinghead: :swinghead: :swinghead: :swinghead: :swinghead: :swinghead: :swinghead: :swinghead: :swinghead: :swinghead: :swinghead: :swinghead: :swinghead: :swinghead: :swinghead: :swinghead: :swinghead: :swinghead: :swinghead: :swinghead: :swinghead: :swinghead: :swinghead: :swinghead: :swinghead: :swinghead: :swinghead: :swinghead: :swinghead: :swinghead: :swinghead: :swinghead: :swinghead: :swinghead: :swinghead: :swinghead: :swinghead: :swinghead: :swinghead: :swinghead: :swinghead: :swinghead: :swinghead: :swinghead: :swinghead: :swinghead: :swinghead: :swinghead: :swinghead: :swinghead: :swinghead:

Nandri Nandri Nandri Nandri Nandri Nandri Nandri Nandri Nandri

ananth222
21st February 2007, 10:54 PM
wow, congrats to Swathy and everyone involved!
This thread has introduced me to many IR gems I had not heard before, and a lot of interesting information about songs.

As an IR fan, I sincerely believe it is better to discuss his music, and not bicker about producers and directors.

Thanks for maintaining such a wonderful thread!

swathy
22nd February 2007, 07:51 AM
Yah this thread introduced lot of musical experts.

IR rasigaiayai irundha naan IR Bakthaiyai maariyadhu ingu vandha pinbu than

baroque
22nd February 2007, 10:47 AM
Congrats!! Great job, Swathi!! love, vinatha

Parker
22nd February 2007, 11:30 AM
good job swathy i am a silent fan of your work! keep going :)

swathy
22nd February 2007, 12:29 PM
Thanks Ananth,Baroque and parker.

Sanjeevi
22nd February 2007, 12:59 PM
Congrats to Swathy, RS and Nakkeeran.

Keep going :D

Nakeeran
22nd February 2007, 02:51 PM
Commendable effort Swathy ! :D

True. One of the very few non controversial threads caz, here we will have to talk about IR's music only ! :D

Move forward with more & more delightful songs from the 80s & his initial years

So so many songs are in store to share and enjoy

narayanan
22nd February 2007, 09:27 PM
Sanjeevi,
I guess the Mallu song u mentioned is njaan njaan paadanum by Jency Anthony.

narayanan
22nd February 2007, 09:28 PM
Wow one year aacha :clap: :clap: anniversary special edhuvum paatu illaya ?

rajasaranam
22nd February 2007, 09:51 PM
Commendable work Swathy :)
Though i dont contribute much to this thread and have been a silent observer i like the way the thread is going on especially by the contributions of nakeeran, ananth etc.,
As narayanan asked where is the celebration song ?
Another idea that struck me is why not we present songs from other languages composed by Raaja. lets introduce some great gems from differenent languages and make our life richer :wink:
For the go here is a song from the film maharishi
A melody which can never be expalined in words only felt
Sumam prathi sumam sumam....
http://esnips.com/doc/b83485f8-3d74-4932-bf22-2ccdd17be400/Maharishi-Sumam-Prathi-Sumam
<dig> From next time Ill PM you the songs and you can go as usual :) </end dig>

rajasaranam
22nd February 2007, 10:01 PM
the beauty of the above song is its been sung by SPB and SJ has been used only for the humming part. A fan commented 'Intha thairiyam Raaja kitta mattum thaan irunthathu, oru leading singera verum hummingkku mattum use panrathu' No one else have done that previously as his observation goes. if he is wrong someone can correct that :)
I love the way SPB has rendered the song. He given his heart out and filled the song with great moments of emotions. The tune keeps lingering in my mind even after the song finishes. I would say that the song somehow gets penetrated into my soul and stays there forever :)

ab_123
23rd February 2007, 01:46 AM
I did not download the song, but I have heard it in Telugu. Good pick!

balaji
23rd February 2007, 02:57 AM
A fan commented 'Intha thairiyam Raaja kitta mattum thaan irunthathu, oru leading singera verum hummingkku mattum use panrathu' No one else have done that previously as his observation goes. if he is wrong someone can correct that

===> This is not FIRST, as many of us know. For example PS did a beautiful humming in Uyarndha Mandidhan for the song 'Velli Kinnam than" under the capable music direction of MSV.

Just a side note: We IR fans always have this habit of attributing IR for all firsts, most of which he deserves though, but not all.

Bala

rajasaranam
23rd February 2007, 04:50 PM
A fan commented 'Intha thairiyam Raaja kitta mattum thaan irunthathu, oru leading singera verum hummingkku mattum use panrathu' No one else have done that previously as his observation goes. if he is wrong someone can correct that

===> This is not FIRST, as many of us know. For example PS did a beautiful humming in Uyarndha Mandidhan for the song 'Velli Kinnam than" under the capable music direction of MSV.

Just a side note: We IR fans always have this habit of attributing IR for all firsts, most of which he deserves though, but not all.

Bala

Yeah i had the doubt over his comment thats why i wanted someone to correct :) thanks!

swathy
24th February 2007, 02:39 PM
Thanks sanjeevi,nakeeran and rajasaranam

thumburu
24th February 2007, 06:42 PM
From the link Rajasaranam has given, hearing "Sumam prathi sumam" for the first time, is indeed a sugam sugam. SPB's marvellous brihas , sangathis in charanam , SJ's complimentary humming, guitar punches and a nice melody in "Sallabam" scale [ For Sallabam, remember "ra ra" of chandramukhi fame or IR's own "isai arasi" in "Thai mookambigai" film? ]. What more can I ask for?

Meerakrishna
25th February 2007, 03:07 AM
Rajasaranam, Thanks for this beautiful song 'Suman prati' . This reminds me one more humming song 'Rangulalo kalavo' from the movie 'Abhinandana'.

balaji
26th February 2007, 12:07 AM
Sumam Prathi Sumam - Nalla Sugamana Padal.

As Thumbru said, one of the perfect melodies of IR

Thanks
Bala

swathy
26th February 2007, 10:32 AM
[tscii:50c17d536a]Today’s pick by Rajasaranam
Date: February 26
Song: Rasigane en arugil vaa
Singers: IR +
Movie : Manipoor Maamiyar
Link : http://esnips.com/doc/d3be3b96-30d1-4246-aac3-6a5c95b6e7c7/Rasiganae-En-Arugil---Manipoor-Maamiyaar
[/tscii:50c17d536a]

swathy
26th February 2007, 10:35 AM
This is the first song for this year :)

I love this song esp the lines "therindhadhai naanum tharugiran themmangu raagangal serthu..."

vasanth2006
26th February 2007, 02:44 PM
Belated wishes to the participants in the IR SOTD for making this thread successful. especially swathy for organising this thread. :thumbsup:

swathy
26th February 2007, 03:01 PM
Thanks Vasanth :)

rajasaranam
27th February 2007, 05:36 PM
Rajasaranam, Thanks for this beautiful song 'Suman prati' . This reminds me one more humming song 'Rangulalo kalavo' from the movie 'Abhinandana'.
Hi Meerakrishna,
Are you the same one from kannadaaudioforum ???

teja
28th February 2007, 07:28 AM
the beauty of the above song is its been sung by SPB and SJ has been used only for the humming part. A fan commented 'Intha thairiyam Raaja kitta mattum thaan irunthathu, oru leading singera verum hummingkku mattum use panrathu' No one else have done that previously as his observation goes. if he is wrong someone can correct that :)
:)

RS,
IR has done that experiment earlier in Sitara (IR-Vamsy), in the song... "Kukuku Kokila Raave".

swathy
28th February 2007, 08:27 AM
[tscii:e6c5df537d]Today’s pick by Nakeeran
Date: February 28
Song: Ponnaram poovaram
Singers:Balasubramaniam S.P.,Chorus
Year of Release:1979
Movie : Pagalil oru iravu
Link : http://www.musicplug.in/songs.php?movieid=2397[/tscii:e6c5df537d]

app_engine
28th February 2007, 09:40 PM
rs,
There's another IR song where SPB sings and SJ only hums - 'oru kunguma chengamalam' from ArAdhanai...

Swathy,
Kudos for all your efforts to keep this thread running!

Nakkeeran, nice pick...though all other songs in pagalil oru iravu were robbed of their due recognition due to the spectacular 'iLamai enum poongAtRu', they did find some airtime, especially in IOKS, including `ponnAram, poovAram'...SPB izhaindhu, kuzhaindhu pAdi iruppAr...I love the saraNam part of this song more...

What a Raja of those days...rich, innovative orchestration through out the song! The prelude itself transports one to some seashore kind of `EkAnthamAna idam'...and then SPB'in chellamAna thAlAttu...kAlamellAm thEn nilavu thAAn...

Nakeeran
28th February 2007, 09:47 PM
But App Engine Sir , even amongst our IR fan fraternity, there seem to be few takers for IR's old compos !
Majority seem to go with his songs of the mid 80s and 90s !

I feel that Ponaaram is a real beauty & one could see Ir's innovation when SPB echoes UNPUNNAGAI .. UNPUNNAGAI !

It gives a refreshing feeling ( like getting up at 4 am ) whenever I hear this song !
Unable to express further , the impact it has over me !

app_engine
1st March 2007, 12:52 AM
I think upto some time period, IR gave majority of his songs where he'll display his uniqueness mainly in orchestration (prelude / interludes / sometimes percussion / chords / rhythm etc)...In other words, if we strip off the orchestration totally the main melody may not identify Raja...(actually this is a compliment as he could be reckoned as good as any of his predecessors in that dept.)...pagalil oru iravu, IMHO, falls within that time period. Only later the melody suffered a little bit (while his orchestration was showing a lot more improvement, variety etc.)...

To some extent we can blame it on his super-power...where he can overrule everyone...lyricists and even directors...That he can provide beautiful melodies even later could be seen here and there (Bharathi one example)...but the "flow", for some reason, I find smoother in his early songs...

app_engine
1st March 2007, 01:08 AM
After making the previous post, I'm wondering whether I've trod in an unknown territory...How can I say what is a "good" melody and what is not? I don't have that knowledge anyways (I wonder whether anyone can...as it's going to be subjective)...For e.g. how can one qualify whether 'nAnoru sindhu, kAvadichchindhu' is a better melody than 'EdhEdhO eNNam vaLarththEn' or vice versa?...

அய்யா சங்கீத அறிவுள்ளோரே, கொஞ்சம் தெளிவு படுத்துங்கள்...

Hulkster
1st March 2007, 12:18 PM
Its belated..but nevetheless awaited...1 year for SOTD and i remember the euphoria for the first 50 songs that came along..the richness in orchestration..the classic vocalism and the uniqueness in the song reserved by IR for us and swathy to us....mikka nandri yellarum...IRin isai bayanam hubbil thodarettum..swathy mulamaaga inbam perattum :D

swathy
1st March 2007, 12:33 PM
Nandri hulks :)

swathy
4th March 2007, 01:25 PM
[tscii:bd1454498a]Today’s pick by ANANTH
Date: March 04
Song: Uyire urave
Singers:Balasubramaniam S.P.,S.Janaki
Year of Release:1985
Movie : Anbin Mugavari
Link : http://as01.coolgoose.com/music/song.php?id=272825 [/tscii:bd1454498a]

saraks
5th March 2007, 03:09 PM
What is the situation of uyirin urave song? It reminds ,e of Paadum Paravaigal scenes..Romance + Suspence interwoven.

rajasaranam
5th March 2007, 05:26 PM
saraks,

You've hit the bulls eye. This is another case of recycling! the same song is there in Paadum paravaigal titled 'Nizhalo nijamo'. The movie Paadum paravaigal is dubbed from the classic telugu movie of Vamsi 'Anveshana'.
Though Raaja has tried to tweak the orchestration hera and there the basic haunting feel of the original remains the same :)
Here is Nizhalo Nijamo from PP
http://esnips.com/doc/ae1b0a82-0765-431d-b346-a1952a2374a2/NIZHALO_NIJAMO

rajasaranam
5th March 2007, 05:36 PM
some more search revealed that Anveshana and Anbin mugavari both are 1985 releases while PP was a 1989/1990 release. PP shud've been dubbed from anveshana to cash on Karthick's newfound stardom cos of the movies like mounaraagam and agninatchathiram in late 80's :?

selvakumar
6th March 2007, 12:22 PM
I think I am a bit late. :)
Congrats Swathy ! :thumbsup: Appreciate your efforts and the way you made this thread to move with lively discussion. :clap:
Not to forget the IR fans who contributed to this thread. :clap:

I am one of the regular readers of this thread. Got lot of information on various songs. :)

swathy
6th March 2007, 12:24 PM
Thanks selva :)

swathy
7th March 2007, 10:00 AM
[tscii:247ba7aa93]Today’s pick by Rajasaranam
Date: March 07
Song: Ve Vela Varnala
Language: Telugu
Year of Release:1987
Movie : Sankeerthana
Link : http://esnips.com/doc/76cd19b1-c1f3-49d7-9685-00ed3aee61af/Ve-Vela-Varnala---Sankeerthana

An Analysis of this Song by RSBalaji is here
http://www.ilaiyaraja.com/Raja/Tamil_Music_Tech_Celebration_2.asp
[/tscii:247ba7aa93]

kj
7th March 2007, 06:19 PM
Getting back to uyire urave...there is another song with the same tune in the telugu movie Abhinandana. Its called Eduta Neeve. Now the funny thing is Abhinandana was dubbed in Tamil as Kaadhal Geetham and so there is yet another version called Vaazhva Saava. That makes it 4(or5) versions of the same tune.It must be another of Raajas favorite tune like Thumbi Vaa which also has numerous clones. However among these my favorite is the telugu version Eduta Neeve from Abhinandana.

rajasaranam
7th March 2007, 09:58 PM
KJ,

Yeah thats a revelation :) I had the song of Abhinandana in my databse and didnt search there as the tune reminded me anveshana only!
So Are abhinandana and Anveshana the originals or is abhinandana dubbed from some kannada movie :wink:
BTW Abhinandana has some great classics like Rangulalo, Ade neevu manasu kurise, prema entha and prema ledani. and Abhinandana has the same Karthick as hero is another interesting fact.
infact i was planning to upload some song from this movie as my nxt installment :)

rajdes
10th March 2007, 12:34 PM
RS, Abinandana is a kind of genre-classic in Telugu. 'Original' is too high a word for a routine love-failure-marry-another-man-lover-returns-dilemma-lover-sacrifices-life screenplay. But ,yes, technically, it is a telugu original. Anveshana followed Abinandana. The reuse of tune in Anveshana was deliberate - a demonstration of how different orchestration can completely change the mood of a song. Vamsi-IR were known for innovative ideas in their combo movies and this was the outcome of an attempt to live up to that image. Or probably, this was one of the ideas that gave birth to that image. Both were dubbed into Tamil, giving 2 more versions of the tune.
Anbin Mugavari is a revelation to me - didnt know that the roots lie here in TFM for this tune.

swathy
13th March 2007, 12:21 PM
[tscii:f208c3078a]Today’s pick by tvsankar
Date: March 13
Song: Devi chendhoora kolam en singara deepam
Language: Tamil
Singers: Janaki. S.,Jayachandran
Year of Release:1977
Movie : Dhurka Devi
Link :

Can someone please provide me the link
[/tscii:f208c3078a]