PDA

View Full Version : Natural Mosquito Repellent

Shoba
24th February 2006, 03:18 PM
Dear Friends,

Many members in my family react badly to mosquito coils. The plug-ins have hardly any effect on the mozzies in our area. Despite all the precautionary methods, our area is pretty known for its mosquito population.

Does anyone know of any natural methods for keeping the mozzies away? Like, is there a variety of aromatherapy oil which works?

Any ideas please..?

Shoba

dev
24th February 2006, 06:12 PM
The only natural mosquito repellent I know is 'vaepilai pogai'... I am not sure if U can try it here...

In India, we used to get a pest repellent which makes a mild noise which is said to irritate mosquitoes, cockroaches etc & thereby, they run out of the house... But beware... It can irritate humans too...:D I've not seen it here in Sg...

BTW, mosquito nets installed on doors & windows should help to a large extent... have you tried it?...

RedPepper
24th February 2006, 07:20 PM
Citronella Oil
Castor Oil
Rosemary Oil
Lemongrass Oil
Cedar Oil
Peppermint Oil
Clove Oil
Geranium Oil
Possibly Oils from Verbena, Pennyroyal, Lavender, Pine, Cajeput, Cinnamon, Basil, Thyme, Allspice, Soybean, and Garlic
Source: http://chemistry.about.com/cs/howthingswork/a/aa050503a.htm

Shoba
26th February 2006, 12:10 PM
Thanks Dev & Red Pepper!

Dev, the mosquito netting will work for bedrooms..but bit of a "situation" in the drawing room and other areas.. :oops:

Red Pepper, the link gives interesting info. I was wondering how effective it would be if I lit up my aromatherapy lamps with a selection of these oils. I'm hoping that the mozzies will be driven away, plus the house will smell nice.

If anyone else has any ideas please share on this thread.

Thank you!

Shoba

Pushpa
27th February 2006, 10:33 AM
Hi Shobha,
As mentioned in Red pepper's list, Citronella is very effective against repelling bugs. Earlier it was coming as a room-spray [like air-freshener]; just spray a few minutes before bed-time, then after 5 mins. can go and sleep. ONly a mild pleasant smell will be there -- no fumes, no smoke , NO MOSQUITOES !!

Nowadays even agarbathi is coming with citronella flavour -- Tulasi brand, even a mosquito picture will be on the agarbathi -- can also use in kitchen area, if too many house-flies coming for food particles/ fruits etc.

Hope you find it useful,
Pushpa.

Alan
27th February 2006, 12:08 PM
Mosquito nets are effective without any side effects, pungent odour or skin irritation. I'm not sure if you get them in Malaysia - Mosquito nets fixed over the beds are effective in keeping them away.

Shoba
1st March 2006, 07:06 PM
Thank you Pushpa. I'm now on the look out for agarbathis & sprays..

Yes, Alan, mosquito nets will indeed keep the mozzies away without any side effects to one's health. Thank you for responding.

Shoba

dev
2nd March 2006, 09:22 AM
Hi Shoba,
A tip from http://absotively-posilutely.blogspot.com/2005/09/99-handy-hints-around-house.html

A cheap and easy way to keep mosquitoes at bay is to put 2-3 tablets of camphor into small cup of water and place it under your bed. Enjoy an undisturbed and smoke-free sleep.

Shoba
8th March 2006, 05:20 PM
Hi Shoba,
A tip from http://absotively-posilutely.blogspot.com/2005/09/99-handy-hints-around-house.html

A cheap and easy way to keep mosquitoes at bay is to put 2-3 tablets of camphor into small cup of water and place it under your bed. Enjoy an undisturbed and smoke-free sleep.

Dev, the camphor in water really works! Thanks for the link and thanks for pulling out my specific request from the whole list.

Shoba

dev
8th March 2006, 06:32 PM
Nice to know that the camphor trick worked...:)

BTW, I remember U looking for tips to get rid of the small black insect that U find in rice, dhal & stuffs... Could U pls let me know any tip that worked in this regard...

Shoba
8th March 2006, 08:09 PM
Nice to know that the camphor trick worked...:)

BTW, I remember U looking for tips to get rid of the small black insect that U find in rice, dhal & stuffs... Could U pls let me know any tip that worked in this regard...

Dried Bay leaf. Great tip given by one of our hubbers, but for the life of me I cant remember the good lady's name. She wrote from Dubai I think.

Shoba

dev
8th March 2006, 08:43 PM
Thanks Shoba... I guess U r taking abt Urmila...