PDA

View Full Version : Conscience and Politics

PVR
24th February 2006, 10:15 PM
The individual's conscience takes the back seat in the prevailing political systems - world wide. There is a discrepancy between popular perception and government action. Can conscience make a come back into active politics?

Shekhar
25th February 2006, 10:11 AM
There is no necessity for a separate thread for this. Please put it in the jokes thread. :lol: :lol:

Lambretta
25th February 2006, 06:48 PM
Shekhar,
poss' the only fitting answer to this at present! :lol:

Sandeep
27th February 2006, 07:47 AM
Can conscience make a come back into active politics?

If people with conscience are ready to come back to politics then YES.

Shekar and Lamby clearly demonstrated where people with conscience are vice verse politics

dev
27th February 2006, 08:23 AM
I believe there are a few gems in Indian politics ... ex: Chidambaram, Manhmohan Singh etc...If more such ppl can be seen in politics, it can make a come back for sure...

Sandeep
27th February 2006, 10:36 AM
Chidambaram and Manmohan Singh are good economists (Technocrates) but hardly good politicians.

They neither have the popular support nor have a vision beyond economic aspects. Plus there are reasons to question Chidambarams conscience. Not elaborating to avoid politics.

dev
27th February 2006, 11:36 AM
Ok... not having the support might be coz they are the odd ones out...

Now comes my doubt as to what ppl consider the qualities of a good politician... what is expected out of them?... :roll:

PVR
27th February 2006, 11:37 AM
My contention is that every person has his or her own opinion, which has to be respected. Universal adult franchise is meant to respect the individual's opinion in the functioning of the society. But presently the voter is remembered at the time of elections and forgotten the next day.
The individual's conscience should first be respected for conscience to play a role in active politics.

Sanguine Sridhar
27th February 2006, 12:15 PM
What Conscience I dont get it??It is easy to pinpoint the mistake of what the politicians do? But we public are good in everything?? Are they good in their basic discipline? How many of them driving without respecting traffic rules??How many people make your street,city as a worst trash,How many people here are spiting in the public places??

If your thoughts are good then your leader will be good.

I will give you an example.Kamarajar ruled Tamil Nadu for 10 years.He did everything for the future in a productive manner.He constructed lot of dams,gave education to poor people,constructed lot of industries by which he increased the employment opportunities..but these things was not a fantasy.But people love fantasy they brought Anna,MGR as CM by forgetting the great things done by that great person and by watching fantasies in the cinema.Such a selfish crowd!!

If you give three times food without giving work then you will be treated as God.Thats happening today.Annadhana thittam at Temple,Church which has become a big boom for a lazy people so SHE has been potrayed as "Annapoorani" and "Mary Maadha".When people are like this how can you expect the politicians are like that.They are not God right? Until or unless your basic knowledge is going to change you cant expect a politician to fear for his conscience....... EZHUDHIVACHUKUNGA!!!!!

dev
27th February 2006, 12:23 PM
I will give you an example.Kamarajar ruled Tamil Nadu for 10 years.He did everything for the future in a productive manner.He constructed lot of dams,gave education to poor people,constructed lot of industries by which he increased the employment opportunities..but these things was not a fantasy.But people love fantasy they brought Anna,MGR as CM by forgetting the great things done by that great person and by watching fantasies in the cinema.Such a selfish crowd!!

Very true...

pavalamani pragasam
27th February 2006, 12:38 PM
I second Beckham's opinion. There is a proverb about teaching to fish instead of giving fish to eat. People MUST cultivate the basic civic sense about traffic rules, environmental cleanliness, sense of order etc. Without fundamental DISCIPLINE no good can come out in our communal life or political for that matter. Ask not what the country did for you, ask what you did for the country. Black momey, tax evasion, encouraging traffic of contraband stuff are all the defects with the people. No amount of policing & rules will help unless each individual decides to uphold values. It is the quality of the people's integrity that gets reflected in the government/politicians. Let us start at the base. Severe censorship of MEDIA spreading materialistic, consumeristic, sensual trends is also veryimportant.

Lambretta
27th February 2006, 02:09 PM
But we public are good in everything?? Are they good in their basic discipline? How many of them driving without respecting traffic rules??How many people make your street,city as a worst trash,How many people here are spiting in the public places??
Yea Becks u2 have a good point! Reflecting on this its so hard to decide whom to blame more in fact!
This wat even Abdul Kalam said in one of his speeches.
While it is true tat improper politicians destroyed much of our country's future, we form the backbone of the society & many among us r breaking tat steadily today!

But people love fantasy they brought Anna,MGR as CM by forgetting the great things done by that great person and by watching fantasies in the cinema.Such a selfish crowd!!
True, another extremely foolish & dangerous weakness of our society!
Getting carried away by reel-life personalities & expecting them to do wonders for us in real life, w/out seeing if they r capable of it in the 1st place!
Even here in Andhra it was the same case w/ NTR at one point.

Shekhar
27th February 2006, 04:22 PM
I believe there are a few gems in Indian politics ... ex: Chidambaram, Manhmohan Singh etc...If more such ppl can be seen in politics, it can make a come back for sure...

Gems?!! Oh sure!! If you count how many U turns they have made for the sake of political exigency, you will think they are running around in circles!! :D :D
One example for Manmohan Singh's "concience" is dissolution of Bihar Assembly!! How about it?!!

PVR
27th February 2006, 05:20 PM
The people are at fault for electing bad politicians and the politicians are at fault for spoiling the people. But there should be something wrong for this to happen.
Every man/woman is born good. So, for the society to deteriorate, the system (circumstances) in which they operate should be at fault. 'Yatha Raja, Thatha Praja' - As is the king so are the people.
In the present time - as is the political system so are the people.

The political system should allow right thinking and right action by the people (in accordance with their conscience). The first thing that hinders this is the identification with a political party, when one is forced to agree with the party line of thinking. There starts the problem. This was the reason that Mahatma Gandhi contemplated on Partyless Democracy soon after independence, as he felt that the voice of the people would soon be forgotten.

Lambretta
27th February 2006, 06:34 PM
The people are at fault for electing bad politicians and the politicians are at fault for spoiling the people. But there should be something wrong for this to happen.
Actually in many states, politicians play a sort of monopoly for a long time. And for ppl. ther is usually a choice of jus 2 politicians/political parties- A or B, who happen to be the most predominant 'leaders' of tat time in a state, & each party happens to gain a stronghold in the same state over time, so during elections A happens to win one time, then in the next elections is defeated by B, who takes over only to be found hardly ne better than A! A typical eg. is the latest scenario in AP- first Chandrababu Naidu from TDP, who eventually wasn't really found to be doing nething beneficial, so they replaced him w/ YS Rajasekhar Reddy from Congress, now the ppl. don't think he makes much of a diff. either.....! :huh: :roll:

ssanjinika
27th February 2006, 07:20 PM
I totally agree with Bekham.Why do we always blame the politicians for everything.Dont we have a social ,moral obligation to our society?Arent we the ones who elect these so called "GODS" to improve our society and take care of our needs?When we dont do our jobs properly how can we blame anyone else for not doing their jobs properly?

PVR
28th February 2006, 03:50 PM
I totally agree with Bekham.Why do we always blame the politicians for everything.Dont we have a social ,moral obligation to our society?Arent we the ones who elect these so called "GODS" to improve our society and take care of our needs?When we dont do our jobs properly how can we blame anyone else for not doing their jobs properly?

As educated citizens endowed with intelligence and discrimination shouldn't we try to think of a way out of this 'trap' (neither the politicians nor the people who elect them, can be blamed) in which we find ourselves? Deliberation along these lines along with some like minded people led to a series of articles on Partyless Democracy, available on my website: http://partylessdemocracy.rediffblogs.com
Comments invited :|

Shakthiprabha.
8th March 2006, 04:10 PM
I agree with beckham totally. Ive said similar views on some other forums(groups)

easy to point out mistake. Sit in their chair, step in their shoes...... we would know where it pinches.