PDA

View Full Version : Need advice for those moving to USA !!

Pushpa
27th February 2006, 10:29 AM
Hi folks,

My sister is planning to relocate to the USA, end of this year. So would be very helpful if those who are living there kindly answer a few of our doubts. They are currently living in Muscat, with their 2 kids ( 7 & 5yrs. old), and will all be travelling together [2 adults/ 2 kids], once the H1B formalities are over. Since my mum is very elderly & living in our home-town (village) with my brothers, my sister's family cannot stay in India till her hubby gets a job & settles down. Also, we know nobody in the States with whom they can stay for the initial few months. :? Hence the following problems :

1} Where can my sis. family stay ? Can they rent a flat without the hubby having got a job -- And if the husband has to fly to other states for interview etc. can the family stay safely in the flat ? How costly it will be ?

2}What is best way to carry required cash ---- as initial months till he gets a job, they have to give from their savings ; when can they get credit card ?

3} Can they rent a car ? If not, how to go about buying groceries etc. ?

4} Can the kids join the schools in the middle , after winter hols. [around mid-Jan] or must they be missing the rest of the year & join only in Sep. ? Is any particular detail / certificate necessary from the school they are presently studying in ?

5} Apart from the basic few vessels / masala powders for cooking, what other domestic item will be must to carry ? How to carry jewels ? How to carry all her pooja stuff -- like swami pictures, small idols, kumkum / vibhuthi, lamps etc. ?

6} Their heavier possessions like books / toys / etc. should come by what cargo -- sea or air, which is better cost-wise and time-wise ?

Hoping to get some sound advise / suggestions and tips from those already experienced with these situations , :)
With thanks,
Pushpa.

Nerd
28th February 2006, 12:38 AM
Hi

Can you tell me(us) which city in USA is she moving in? I think this would help in answering your questions 1-5. My brother recently moved to India from UK and he sold almost all his *heavier* posessions. Sea usually takes a lot of days, but cost-effective I would say. If she needs any of those urgently then air would be the best.

Pushpa
28th February 2006, 09:27 AM
Hi Kasi_sce,
Though the body shopper [that's what the agent is called right, not sure...] is based in New Jersy, depends on when & where my bro. in law gets a job !! They are coming only on his H1B, and then search job there.

Hope it's clear,
Pushpa.