PDA

View Full Version : Printed Circuit Board(PCB) Designing

Arthi
27th February 2006, 04:31 PM
Dear All,
If you are into Electronics Field, and especially into Printed Circuit Board Designing, yes, you are the one whom am searching for to ask my doubts

1. What is the future for PCB Designing in InDIA.
2. Current s/w that have been used
3. Is there any Institutuon available to Learn PCB Designing(Preferably in Mumbai)
4. Does Orcad S/w has any value in the Market.

I want to update myself in this field.

Please help me friends

Sanguine Sridhar
1st March 2006, 09:42 AM
:lol:

Arthi
1st March 2006, 09:50 AM
:lol:

Why are you laughing here, I cann't understand.
I hope I have not cut any joke here to laugh like this. :evil:
If u cld help me, plz provide me the necessary information :) am seriouls. I have done many projects also.
ok Brother :)

Shakthiprabha.
1st March 2006, 03:30 PM
:? :roll:

try google search arthi.

Arthi
1st March 2006, 05:35 PM

try google search arthi.

I tried Google search Guruji, If I find some one here i can ask all my doubts(I have been colleting date since last 2 years)

I cann't join full time course, some constraints am having...

Guruji, Oru vazhi kamikka kodadha?

Arthi
1st March 2006, 05:38 PM

try google search arthi.

I tried Google search Guruji, If I find some one here i can ask all my doubts(I have been colleting date since last 2 years)

I cann't join full time course, some constraints am having...

Guruji, Oru vazhi kamikka kodadha?

Shakthiprabha.
1st March 2006, 09:36 PM
ARthi,

Enakku therinja solren.

u ask me questions referring me as guruji.

Half of the time I BLINK without knowing answers.

I am THE DUMBEST GURUJI ever a person can have :rotfl: :lol: :rotfl: :lol:

kannannn
2nd March 2006, 06:22 AM
Arthi, I can answer as much as I know. That's not my background but I have used the services of people who use these software for PCB design. Until as late as 4 months back, Orcad and PSpice were used extensively in India for PCB design. Top academic institutions in India also use these software for their projects. As for courses, I think IIT Mumbai must offer part time courses through their electronics dept. If you don't mind traveling to Bangalore, CEDT at IISc (www.cedt.iisc.ernet.in) regularly offers short term courses in electronics design, through the continuing education cell. Of course, there are plenty of private institutions too that offer these courses. The most famous in Bangalore seems to be the Indian Institute of Hardware Technology (IIHT, they call themselves) near Sankey Tank in Bangalore. But I can't vouch for the quality of private institutions.

gaddeswarup
2nd March 2006, 07:57 AM
A related question: Are there any good PCB manufacturers in India exporting to other countries?

rajraj
2nd March 2006, 08:59 AM
Arthi: Without knowing your educational/technical background it will be difficult for people to advise. In the US PCB design is taught in two year colleges or vocational schools attended by people who are looking for a job as a technician. You can get course material and a design kit from some institutes. Some people do it as a hobby for their own needs. Try searching for
'printed circuit board design course'. If you are degree holder this may not be for you unless you are planning to start your own company and want hands-on experience.

rajraj
2nd March 2006, 09:37 AM
A related question: Are there any good PCB manufacturers in India exporting to other countries?

Swarup,
Search using 'printed circuit board design India'. Looks like there are some exporters.

gaddeswarup
2nd March 2006, 09:47 AM
Arthi,
I think that there are some 'do it yourself' kind of instructions on the web. If you like, I can ask my wife (who knows a bit more about them) and send you the URLs.
Swarup

Arthi
2nd March 2006, 10:10 AM
swarup,

Please do it :), Thanx

gaddeswarup
2nd March 2006, 12:40 PM
Arthi,
Sent a PM.
swarup

Arthi
3rd March 2006, 06:31 PM
Arthi,
Sent a PM.
swarup

Thanks swarup for ur urls.
It gives me a feeling of understanding... :)

Arthi
6th March 2006, 10:18 AM
Hi Friends, I have some doubts regarding PCB, Cld anyone help me :)

Some fundamental Questions in PCB Designing

1.what is Differential pair,length matching,How will u do placemnt ,and routing for Mixed(analog,Digital,RF) components.
2.what is DFM,DFA ?
3.what will be the pad size for 30 mil lead ?
4.What for we using Assembly,silk screen, mask ,paste layers. that's is purpose of those layer.
5.What do u mean by thermal?
6.what is series and parallel termination?How will u place the resistor of series and parallel termination.
7.What is layer Stackup?
8.To match the impedance what are all to be followed?

raaja_rasigan
8th June 2007, 05:46 PM

1.what is Differential pair,length matching,How will u do placemnt ,and routing for Mixed(analog,Digital,RF) components.
2.what is DFM,DFA ?
4.What for we using Assembly,silk screen, mask ,paste layers. that's is purpose of those layer.
6.what is series and parallel termination?How will u place the resistor of series and parallel termination.
7.What is layer Stackup?

Arthi I can help u in this.... i working as a pcb design engineer in bangalore....

whatz ur educational background & what r u doing now reg. pcb

i'll come back to u in one or two days :D

Anoushka
8th June 2007, 05:49 PM
why two threads for PCB? can we not merge them into one? :) info tends to be scattered if it is on two different threads!

raaja_rasigan
8th June 2007, 05:53 PM
why two threads for PCB? can we not merge them into one? :) info tends to be scattered if it is on two different threads!

yeah...... the mods can delete the one which was created by me i.e., the other thread 8-)

sarna_blr
20th February 2008, 05:11 PM
1.what is Differential pair?

The two signals which are equal in magnitude but having opposite polarity

Eg:- If one signal is Data plus, then other signal will be data minus

D+ and D- together form differential pair

2.How to route differencial pair?

Maintain two signals equal length and equal spacing through out the signals

app_engine
20th February 2008, 06:52 PM
A few years back (2002-2003 time period), there were a number of active PCB exporters. One of them was extremely good - HiQ Hosur and we used to source boards having 6 / 8 layers with excellent quality for mfr of systems within India, and there used to be always priority issues for them w.r.t capacity allocating to us v/s exports. Then there was this stovec screens in Goa, Micropack in Jigani Indl estate Bangalore and Indal near Mysore (belongs to Indian Aluminium group, excellent facility that I've visited a few times).

I'm not sure how many of them are active today.

app_engine
20th February 2008, 06:55 PM
>>2.what is DFM,DFA ? <<

I think these are related to manufacturability. (Designed for manufacture / Designed for Assembly). Simply means the design should cater to the needs of efficient assembly processes (like automatic component placement machines - onsertion / insertion etc.)

app_engine
20th February 2008, 06:59 PM
>>4.What for we using Assembly,silk screen, mask ,paste layers. that's is purpose of those layer. <<

Again related to manufacturing.

"Mask" for the wire tracks is needed for automatic soldering machines to fill in the lead only on the pads. Without mask, it'll get applied everywhere making the assembly a mess:-)

At times, there are pads that need to be exposed (i.e. there should not be any mask) but should not be "soldered", for e.g. gold fingers / touch key pads etc. There is usually a separate "peelable mask" layer applied on top of them which can be peeled off after the wave soldering process.

app_engine
20th February 2008, 07:04 PM
A typical technique used for multi-layered boards is to have a whole layer for Vcc and another whole layer for ground. While making the routing of signals in other layers much easier, this also helps in EMI considerations. Most digital systems that have 4 layer boards have these two as inner layers while the outer layers will have the other circuits.

sarna_blr
21st February 2008, 09:32 AM
A typical technique used for multi-layered boards is to have a whole layer for Vcc and another whole layer for ground. While making the routing of signals in other layers much easier, this also helps in EMI considerations. Most digital systems that have 4 layer boards have these two as inner layers while the outer layers will have the other circuits.

kalakkunga :D

If u dont mind , innum konjam thelivaa solla try pannalaam :)

Arthi
21st February 2008, 06:44 PM
:notworthy: sarna & app_engine for making this thread active :D

I have a very minimal knowledge abt PCB yet am interested to know about this field in detail.

Will join you people soon with my doubts

Arthi
21st February 2008, 06:45 PM
I have designed multilayed PCB board(only 2 layers).

even designing 2 layered was a big task for me then :D

app_engine
21st February 2008, 07:42 PM
2 layer board is not called "multi" layer board:-) It's usually referred as "double side" (and if it does have plated through holes for interconnections between the layers, it's called DSPTH)

Multilayer is > 2 layers:-) Usually, it's much simpler to design the 4 layer board than a 2 layer board for boards that use a CPU chip and the like, as the supply voltage & ground routing is not a big worry (being confined to the inner two layers). Only signals need to be routed in the external layers, making it all the much simpler. DSPTH is more complex, IMHO.

app_engine
21st February 2008, 07:45 PM
>>If u dont mind , innum konjam thelivaa solla try pannalaam<<

sarna_blr, If you can eloborate on where I should be more clear, I can improve:-)

Do you mean the reference to Vcc? Well, I thought if someone is gonna venture into PCB design, it's not difficult to figure this out:-)

Arthi
21st February 2008, 07:47 PM
yes,i just forgot the term double sided :x

can you expand the term DSPTH?

app_engine
21st February 2008, 07:49 PM
Double Sided Plated Through Hole board. Here again, good designers tend to have in one layer all the tracks oriented in horizontal and vertical in another. (in other words, tracks in each layer are perpendicular, to the extent possible, to the other)

Arthi
21st February 2008, 07:50 PM

sarna_blr, If you can eloborate on where I should be more clear, I can improve:-)

Do you mean the reference to Vcc? Well, I thought if someone is gonna venture into PCB design, it's not difficult to figure this out:-)

:redjump: :boo: :bluejump:

need to go a long way i know!!!

app_engine
21st February 2008, 08:15 PM
Vcc is the +ve supply voltage to any digital circuit. The potential difference between the Vcc and the Ground makes it possible for these digital circuits to function. Few decades back there was all bipolar transistors that were used and (thus the term TTL, or transistor-transistor-logic) where typically 5V was the supply with less variance on upper / lower limits. Later most of them switched to complementary metal oxide semiconductor logic (CMOS, using field effect transistors) and supply voltages could go to more variations in the upper and lower limits than the conventional 5V.

And the binary logic of 1 & 0 is implemented like 5V is 1 and 0V (or ground) is 0. It could be vice versa also, depending upon the "truth table".

raaja_rasigan
21st February 2008, 09:34 PM
neenda natkalaga kedappil podappattirundha en thurai sarndha thiri uyir petruvittadhe

Arthi
21st February 2008, 09:39 PM
neenda natkalaga kedappil podappattirundha en thurai sarndha thiri uyir petruvittadhe

hey yes :redjump: welcome RR :D

please make your valuable presence here often & share your knowledge

Arthi
21st February 2008, 09:41 PM
can i have freeware to bursh up my knowledge in PCB designing?

PS: I have knowledge in ORCAD, both in schematic & Layout & have expericence in designing a PCB board right from designing the circuit diagram in schematic & converting that to a PCB Design through Layout.

Tried up to double sided PCB board

Arthi
21st February 2008, 09:42 PM

2.what is DFM,DFA ?
7.What is layer Stackup?

Arthi I can help u in this.... i working as a pcb design engineer in bangalore....

whatz ur educational background & what r u doing now reg. pcb

i'll come back to u in one or two days :D

RR: for ur kind notice :D

raaja_rasigan
21st February 2008, 09:50 PM
RR: for ur kind notice :D

:)

I know.... since no one is interested.... i left it as such..... now i cud c a couple of them posting in this & thought of participating in this

raaja_rasigan
21st February 2008, 09:54 PM
can i have freeware to bursh up my knowledge in PCB designing?

PS: I have knowledge in ORCAD, both in schematic & Layout & have expericence in designing a PCB board right from designing the circuit diagram in schematic & converting that to a PCB Design through Layout.

Tried up to double sided PCB board

PCB designing involves both theoritical knowledge & practical working....... if you know Orcad, it is a kind of basic tool in this it is like a first step in practical study but now the company "cadence" has decided to stop Orcad.

Another shareware (some basic functions u can work it out / u can completely do a small layout) is PADS from Mentor Graphics

Arthi
21st February 2008, 09:56 PM
:notthatway: I have very little knowledge in PCB designing field.

Busy with my stuff which earns me my bread & butter :P
will try to chipin :D

Arthi
21st February 2008, 09:58 PM
Another shareware (some basic functions u can work it out / u can completely do a small layout) is PADS from Mentor Graphics

That's a great news for me RR :D

Will try to use this tool.
do u have url for this :roll: :D

app_engine
21st February 2008, 09:58 PM
Well, though I haven't personally worked with pcad kind of tools for PCB design, I've "lived" with PCBs for more than a decade as part of the team:-) One of my most dreaded "smells" in life is that of a burnt track on a pcb:-) We used to call this "electronic smell":-))

Arthi
21st February 2008, 10:00 PM
I am very much happy that this thread is activated again.

I request you all add value to this thread :D

Arthi
21st February 2008, 10:04 PM
Well, though I haven't personally worked with pcad kind of tools for PCB design, I've "lived" with PCBs for more than a decade as part of the team:-) One of my most dreaded "smells" in life is that of a burnt track on a pcb:-) We used to call this "electronic smell":-))

it happened with me too... though my experience in this field is very less but had great/high experience in burning track :wink: :oops:

raaja_rasigan
21st February 2008, 10:11 PM
I never used to be at a manufacturing / assembly house....... we / I will be doing in sofware & sending the gerbers (hope u all know what it is...... if i use any technical terms).. just saw some fabricated board

Arthi
21st February 2008, 10:13 PM
RR: am the only novice here, ironically who started this thread :lol:

i heard of the name gerbers :roll:

cld u plz explain me?

raaja_rasigan
21st February 2008, 10:16 PM
http://www.mentor.com/products/pcb/pads/pads_eval.cfm

try this for pcb software

app_engine
21st February 2008, 10:17 PM
As most are aware, PCB pattern routing is both an art and engineering as it's not simply connecting from one circuit point to another. Improper routing of patterns, apart from making it appear shabby and contributing to inefficient manufacturing processes, can also cause great troubles in the functionality / reliability of the unit.

Let me share an experience as to how much the routing of patterns in PCB is so important, without getting into the actual case (as the information is proprietory). This was a case of replacing an expensive IC with an equivalent from a competitor with exactly same functionality / quality / reliability / # of pins etc but only with a different pin configuration. In addition, the requirement was to have provision to mount either of them (i.e. from either source - expensive and economical) on the board, as availability for production is another consideration.

Well, the board got redesigned / tested fine during all the lab / factory / beta validations, with both chips and all combinations. Then we shipped a bunch of units to field and had the worst nightmare for that product. (I had to personally spend a lot of time in customers' places, travelling through out the country etc. along with the field engineers, to carry out the fix). The routing of patterns was the cause of some inexplicable spikes for some line driver chips on the board that used to fail like "eesal" and considerable time and money was spent to include additional protection on 100's of boards and the amount of customer yelling that the field technicians had to undergo was phenomenal.

Bottomline: PCB pattern routing is more electronic engineering than drawing / art.

Arthi
21st February 2008, 10:26 PM

Downloading the s/w :D

raaja_rasigan
21st February 2008, 10:29 PM

Downloading the s/w :D

i haven't tried downloading, but size shud be huge

Arthi
21st February 2008, 10:31 PM
yes it is huge :(

Trying it letz see :D

raaja_rasigan
21st February 2008, 10:48 PM
Bottomline: PCB pattern routing is more electronic engineering than drawing / art.

:yes:

first preference for electrical correctness then art.

For example, we need to give enough space between 2 tracks to avoid electrical/magnetic coupling between the traces. But for a differential pair, u cannot have more space than the specified ones.

raaja_rasigan
21st February 2008, 10:51 PM

cld u plz explain me?

Gerber files are the output files which we need to send to the manufacturers for getting our finished PCB.

As i told already, I can give just a hint about the terms, while reading some documents & practically doing a board we will be know a lot of things.

Arthi
21st February 2008, 10:53 PM

:yes:

first preference for electrical correctness then art.

For example, we need to give enough space between 2 tracks to avoid electrical/magnetic coupling between the traces. But for a differential pair, u cannot have more space than the specified ones.

Yes i too agree...
when we were in college... we used to design a layout by keeping pads close to each other. we used to give importance too look and alingment of teh compones and while place the componed and soldering...we used to encounter all the problems

Arthi
21st February 2008, 10:55 PM

cld u plz explain me?

Gerber files are the output files which we need to send to the manufacturers for getting our finished PCB.

As i told already, I can give just a hint about the terms, while reading some documents & practically doing a board we will be know a lot of things.

yes i am getting it. I had gone to PCB desining shop with my own PCB design printouts

raaja_rasigan
21st February 2008, 11:03 PM
innaikku class podhum.... nalla padichuttu nalaikku vanga... test vekkiraen :) :lol:

Arthi
21st February 2008, 11:06 PM
yes sir :)

still downloading the s/w 53% reached

on the serious note:
i am ready to take up assignment too if u ppl have time, i don't mind doing :)

PCB designing is my passion, but as of now no knowledge in it :(

raaja_rasigan
21st February 2008, 11:11 PM
on the serious note:
i am ready to take up assignment too if u ppl have time, i don't mind doing :)
ready to guide u if time persmits... so that i cud also learn by teaching some one

PCB designing is my passion, but as of now no knowledge in it :(

it its is just a hobby, then i donno how long u will be interested in it

Arthi
21st February 2008, 11:14 PM
hey it has been my hobby for last 5 years :D
if everything materialise as per my plan :redjump: then ...

u don't worry, i keep the momentum :D

raaja_rasigan
21st February 2008, 11:17 PM
Good Night (guessing u r in India / location shows Mumbai)

Arthi
21st February 2008, 11:19 PM
Good Night (guessing u r in India / location shows Mumbai)

yes am

ok gudnite :D

Arthi
21st February 2008, 11:49 PM

RR: I installed the s/w successfully.
From tomorrow onwards will start practising :D

sarna_blr
22nd February 2008, 12:43 PM

Unga answer'la irundhe varane

>>2.what is DFM,DFA ? <<

I think these are related to manufacturability. (Designed for manufacture / Designed for Assembly). Simply means the design should cater to the needs of efficient assembly processes (like automatic component placement machines - onsertion / insertion etc.)

DFM--design for manufacturing(valid point dhaan)
Ippa Hi-Q hosur Fab house'a eduththukkitteengana,
1- min trace width 4 mil
They can manufacture minimum 4 mil trace and 4 mil spacing.
Ippa naama 4 mil trace'a vida kammiya trace width eduththukkittom'na---we have to look for another fab house---IMO Hi-Q is one of the best in South India--I dont know anyother fabhouse in India will fab a board less than 4 mil trace width

IMO--FAB=Manufacturiong(notes)

2- Maximum 16 layers
Coming to number of layers--Ennoda arivukku ettiya varayil--In India we can FAB upto 16 layers.
So we should not go behind 16 layers ---if we are going to fab/manufacture in India

Idhu maadhiri innu konjam detailed'a sollalaam--innum neraya sollaalaam...,

Now Let us come to DFA
DFA-Design for assemly

Let me put here my persnal experience( Costly lesson)
In my company, we designed a board
Size--12x10 inch
layer count-- 16 layers

While testing (in house testng), we faced a problem. Wn plugging and un-plugging test bus connectors--board used to get bend--So we planned to go for higher thinkness.
There we made a big mistake of taking 3.2 mm board thickness
We ordered 10 boards--(cost 6 lakhs)
Wn the board came we were not able to solder even a single through-hole component--because the board thickness is 3.2 mm and the pin length is less than 3.2 mm---wt to do--we lost 6 lakhs

This is nothing but DFA--ie Design for Assemly

Idhu madhiri konjam detailed'aa sonneengana nalla irukkum

raaja_rasigan
22nd February 2008, 01:01 PM
sarna..... useful details...... keep it up

raaja_rasigan
22nd February 2008, 01:06 PM

Arthi, u can use the Help to get started with the basics & there will be a sample layout provied as a tutorial......

Happy layouting

sarna_blr
22nd February 2008, 01:54 PM

Arthi, u can use the Help to get started with the basics & there will be a sample layout provied as a tutorial......

Happy layouting

Hi R_R,
neenga endha tool use pannureenga

raaja_rasigan
22nd February 2008, 02:08 PM
PADS-dhan maximum use panraen

But I know to work in,

Allegro

& other tools like

Orcad
AutoCAD

sarna_blr
22nd February 2008, 02:43 PM
PADS-dhan maximum use panraen

But I know to work in,

Allegro

& other tools like

Orcad
AutoCAD

PADS great

sarna_blr
22nd February 2008, 03:05 PM

cld u plz explain me?

Gerber is similar to NEGATIVE(in photographs)

If we have NEGATIVE, we can develop the photo----
In similar way --if we have gerber we can manufacture/fab the board
In another way of explaination,
If we designed 2 layer board,double side components
It will have
1...top routing layer---(will have pins, traces , via )
2...bottom routing layer---(will have pins, traces , via )
3...Top silkscreen---(will have component names which are placed on top side)
4...bottom silkscreen---(will have component names which are placed on bottom side)
5...top solder mask---(will have a mask other than the solderable area of top side)
6...bottom solder mask---(will have a mask other than the solderable area of bottom side)
7...Drill legend----(will have the drilling informations)

The mirror image of above said things (or) artwork of above said things (or) the drawing files in gerber format(those can be viewed in gerber viewer) is called as gerbers

sarna_blr
22nd February 2008, 03:12 PM
yaaraavudhu vandhu--interact pannungapa

raaja_rasigan
22nd February 2008, 04:13 PM

8 hrs work panna kanakku kamikkanum anne :P

sarna_blr
22nd February 2008, 04:15 PM

8 hrs work panna kanakku kamikkanum anne :P

Eight hours work pannina kanakku kaamikkanumaa?
illa 8 hours office'la irundhu kanakku kaattanumaa?

Enga office work irundhaa pannu---illanaa 9 hours office'la kundhinu keda... :(

sarna_blr
22nd February 2008, 04:45 PM
As most are aware, PCB pattern routing is both an art and engineering as it's not simply connecting from one circuit point to another. Improper routing of patterns, apart from making it appear shabby and contributing to inefficient manufacturing processes, can also cause great troubles in the functionality / reliability of the unit.

Let me share an experience as to how much the routing of patterns in PCB is so important, without getting into the actual case (as the information is proprietory). This was a case of replacing an expensive IC with an equivalent from a competitor with exactly same functionality / quality / reliability / # of pins etc but only with a different pin configuration. In addition, the requirement was to have provision to mount either of them (i.e. from either source - expensive and economical) on the board, as availability for production is another consideration.

Well, the board got redesigned / tested fine during all the lab / factory / beta validations, with both chips and all combinations. Then we shipped a bunch of units to field and had the worst nightmare for that product. (I had to personally spend a lot of time in customers' places, travelling through out the country etc. along with the field engineers, to carry out the fix). The routing of patterns was the cause of some inexplicable spikes for some line driver chips on the board that used to fail like "eesal" and considerable time and money was spent to include additional protection on 100's of boards and the amount of customer yelling that the field technicians had to undergo was phenomenal.

Unga english konja high level'aa irukku, adhanaala purinjukkuradhukku kashttamaa irukku... please reconsider it....

sarna_blr
22nd February 2008, 04:58 PM

2.what is DFM,DFA ?
7.What is layer Stackup?

For ur 1st question I have not answered fully--I will answer u later---Because u should know the basics first--ok

For ur second question answered upto my knowledge

Now ur 3rd question,...3.what will be the pad size for 30 mil lead ?

If lead is 30 mil dia, then the hole required to insert the pad should be more than 30 mil ---Am i right?
If u give 30 mill drill size, then the fabricator will come with 26 mil drilled hole---Because he requires minmum 4 mil for finishing...
Finishing means---After drilling he will coat the drilled area with copper for getting proper connectivity in all layers---So he require 4 mills extra---
So now 30+ 4= 34
If u give 34mil as hole size for fabricator--he will give you 30 mil drilled hole--But if it is exactly 30 mils hole size means, while inserting the lead, u will have problem---so u can increase another 2 to 4 mils

So up to my knowledge for 30 mil lead, u have to provide 36 to 38 as drill size
36 is minimum requirement

Addition to that 12 to 15 mil annular ring is required
Annular ring is nothing but Total pad size minus Drill
So total pad size is Annula ring plus drill size

So 15 + 36=51
For 30 mil lead 51 mil pad is required and 36 mil drill size is required
Got my point,
Addition to that +5 mil solder mask is required

Arthi
22nd February 2008, 06:39 PM

Happy layouting

Yesterday i had a glance about the schematic part it would be more like ORCAD i feel :roll:

I am happy to know that you work on PADS which i am going to explore :D

this thread is getting activated really :thumbsup:

Arthi
22nd February 2008, 06:44 PM
hi sarna, RR, app_engine

I request you all to share your knowledge here and often visit this thread.

I know that I will definetly ask silly questions, before asking any question i will first go through the help file from the PADS software as suggested by RR :D

thanks all once again for your valuable participation, I really am getting motivated and hope will grasp the concept fast without troubling you friends much

raaja_rasigan
22nd February 2008, 07:33 PM
Yesterday i had a glance about the schematic part it would be more like ORCAD i feel :roll:

every tool has the basic concept with different working methods & terms... since u have knowledge in ORCAD, u can learn easily this PADS Logic (schematic tool in PADS)

app_engine
22nd February 2008, 08:30 PM
sarna_blr,

Excellent postings! அருமையா எழுதுறீங்க. தொடருங்கள்!

About my posting having complex language, I'm sorry. Since this thread is of technical nature (and I assume mostly read by engineers related to electronics), I thought a little indulgence in technical terms is not out of place. I'll try to explain as detailed and simple as possible, in any future posts. Thank you!

app_engine
22nd February 2008, 08:38 PM
An additional info on the "hole size" to what sarna_blr has posted.

What if the whole size is too large? That is, for example, if the size of the component lead (or pin) is 30 mil and you have a 42 mil hole? Can't it be mounted and soldered? Yes it can, but with atleast two big problems, when automatic soldering is done:

1. Improper soldering / trapping of air in the soldering joint possibly leading to "dry-solder" which means no connectivity between the pin and the hole / pad

2. "Escape" of solder (leak thru the gap) from the molten bath into the "other" side of the PCB (i.e. to the component side, which is not touching the molten solder) as small "balls" that could go and get stuck in unwanted places, causing short-circuits (unwanted connections).

So appropriate hole size that fits the component lead (should be possible to comfortably insert while not too loose) is important.

Arthi
23rd February 2008, 10:21 PM
In PADS what is Modeless Command?
How to use it?

Arthi
23rd February 2008, 10:25 PM
RR:
I just started going through the help file

I am familiar with the mouse actions :P

Arthi
23rd February 2008, 10:29 PM
What is Bug Media Wizard?

raaja_rasigan
25th February 2008, 09:22 AM
How to use it?

Modeless command: this is the name given for invoking a command thru keyboard (i.e, using a combination of keys)

1) For eg: u need to identify the location of a capacitor C1...... instead of zooming & searching area by area in a dense board, u can simply use a modeless command (type) "ss C1" (at this point of time u shud have selected the pointer button in the toolbar)

the command is ss ref des

2) another example: to point to a location for eg: to place the cursor over board origin ie. (0,0).... use the command ss 0 0

help tutorial will give u some more examples which u will be frequently using while doing a layout

raaja_rasigan
25th February 2008, 09:26 AM

App_engine, really useful post for me... :clap:

sarna..... good post

After cing some detailed posts from u 2, i thought of asking some of my doubts:

1) Can some one explain the concept of EMI & EMC & its effects with a practical example

(1 1/2 month back i attended an interview, there they asked me the same question & i need to explain this for a mobile phone, my answer is :? & :roll: )

//whenever i get some doubt i'll post it immediately//

Arthi
25th February 2008, 09:31 AM
How to use it?

Modeless command: this is the name given for invoking a command thru keyboard (i.e, using a combination of keys)

1) For eg: u need to identify the location of a capacitor C1...... instead of zooming & searching area by area in a dense board, u can simply use a modeless command (type) "ss C1" (at this point of time u shud have selected the pointer button in the toolbar)

the command is ss ref des

2) another example: to point to a location for eg: to place the cursor over board origin ie. (0,0).... use the command ss 0 0

help tutorial will give u some more examples which u will be frequently using while doing a layout

RR: Morning :)
Thanks for the explanation, I will try this out at home and ask you if i face any problem :P

I got the below link which is also useful and it talks about modeless command

If any novice like me visit this thread, it will be useful :D

http://www.people.vcu.edu/~rhklenke/tutorials/PADS/PADS_Tutorial_User_Interface/UserInterface.html

raaja_rasigan
25th February 2008, 09:32 AM
RR:

start with that simple layout given in tutorial..... if needed i'll review it once u finish that...

about Bug media wizard.... haven't yet came across that word.... i'll try to find it if it is related to PADS :)

Arthi
25th February 2008, 09:34 AM
RR:

start with that simple layout given in tutorial..... if needed i'll review it once u finish that...

about Bug media wizard.... haven't yet came across that word.... i'll try to find it if it is related to PADS :)

Will do it sure, and please review it.

As of now i am just picking up the component from the library trying placing the components :roll:

Today will try to design a circuit after aapis hrs :P

raaja_rasigan
25th February 2008, 09:41 AM

Good mornign Arthi..... :)

let me start my official work :(

sarna_blr
25th February 2008, 11:04 AM

Good mornign Arthi..... :)

let me start my official work :(

Good morning for everybody,

Hi R_R,
From today onwards--i too will busy on my official work----
but i will be in keeping touch with this forum...

sarna_blr
25th February 2008, 11:07 AM
sarna_blr,

About my posting having complex language, I'm sorry. Since this thread is of technical nature (and I assume mostly read by engineers related to electronics), I thought a little indulgence in technical terms is not out of place. I'll try to explain as detailed and simple as possible, in any future posts. Thank you!

Romba Thanks,

But I am very much poor in English language---Like me many of friends who studied in Tamil nadu are poor in English comminucation skill----So let our language be very simple here...,

I think most of the Forum members will be tamilians---so tamizh'la pesuna problem illainu nenakkurane....

sarna_blr
25th February 2008, 11:15 AM

App_engine, really useful post for me... :clap:

sarna..... good post

After cing some detailed posts from u 2, i thought of asking some of my doubts:

1) Can some one explain the concept of EMI & EMC & its effects with a practical example
(1 1/2 month back i attended an interview, there they asked me the same question & i need to explain this for a mobile phone, my answer is :? & :roll: )

//whenever i get some doubt i'll post it immediately//

EMI & EMC
Its a big topic---
Let me give introduction about these things based on my practical knowledge---

EMI is nothing but Electromagnetic Interference...,,,

Cross talk, Impedance mismatch, noise, and so many things will come under EMI

EMC is Electromagnetic compatibility---is a process of avoiding EMI effectively

Simple to say like this---But there are lot of things to discuss about EMI---I will continue for the best of my knowledge...

Arthi
25th February 2008, 11:21 AM
sarna_blr,

Romba Thanks,

But I am very much poor in English language---Like me many of friends who studied in Tamil nadu are poor in English comminucation skill----So let our language be very simple here...,

I think most of the Forum members will be tamilians---so tamizh'la pesuna problem illainu nenakkurane....

No proba sarna, edhula PEsurOmgaradhu mukkiyam illa, sOnna samaacharam purindhudha garadhu dhaan mukiyum

as far as we are comfortable & able to understand, lang will not be a problem :D

sarna_blr
25th February 2008, 11:35 AM

What if the whole size is too large? That is, for example, if the size of the component lead (or pin) is 30 mil and you have a 42 mil hole? Can't it be mounted and soldered? Yes it can, but with atleast two big problems, when automatic soldering is done:

1. Improper soldering / trapping of air in the soldering joint possibly leading to "dry-solder" which means no connectivity between the pin and the hole / pad

2. "Escape" of solder (leak thru the gap) from the molten bath into the "other" side of the PCB (i.e. to the component side, which is not touching the molten solder) as small "balls" that could go and get stuck in unwanted places, causing short-circuits (unwanted connections).

So appropriate hole size that fits the component lead (should be possible to comfortably insert while not too loose) is important.

Thanks nanbaaa............

Arthi
25th February 2008, 11:40 AM

When we first designed our PCB board, we faced all these problems.
While designing the Layout, the pad size were looking too big and we thought the size would be perfect enough to solder the components
But in practical, after getting the board on hand the thing changed upside down :x

sarna_blr
25th February 2008, 11:43 AM
[tscii:06ec1a9def]So now about CrossTalk( one of the factors of EMI)

I copied from an article....,,

Crosstalk: When two traces are placed close
together, the current flowing down one (in this context
we call it the “aggressor” trace) induces a current
in the other (victim) trace. The electric field
causes a current in the victim trace that flows both
ways, backwards and forwards. Think of the case of
a single electron at a point along the aggressor
trace. It will tend to repel electrons in the victim
trace in both directions away from that point. We
often call this type of coupling “capacitive” coupling.
The aggressor trace also generates a magnetic
field, which in turn generates a current in the reverse,
or backward direction in the victim trace. We
often call this type of coupling “inductive” coupling.
These two types of coupling tend to reinforce
each other in the backwards direction, but they tend
to cancel each other in the forward direction (they
exactly cancel in stripline environments.) Hence,
reverse coupling, or backwards crosstalk, tends to
be the problem in this situation.
In summary, crosstalk is a direct result of the
electromagnetic field radiated from the aggressor
trace

Innum neraya sollalaaam........,[/tscii:06ec1a9def]

Innum simple'aa sollanum'na,

2 engg's pakkaththu pakkaththula ukkaandhukkittu, oruththaroda velaya innoruththar seiyya vidaama thadukkuradhukku peru dhaan----

raaja_rasigan
25th February 2008, 12:10 PM

Hi R_R,

good morning sarna... i guess only 4 of us are part of this thread... let us keep it active as long as possible....

though we can learn a pdf doc for any doubts.... reading in this forum gets into mind easily like chatting with friends.. so lets continue with our tech discussions.... though a minimum amount of digressions are acceptable like good morning, how r u etc. :D

Arthi
25th February 2008, 12:17 PM
I am here to keep this thread active :roll:
you 3 bear answering my silly questions :P

sarna_blr
25th February 2008, 12:17 PM

Hi R_R,

good morning sarna... i guess only 4 of us are part of this thread... let us keep it active as long as possible....

though we can learn a pdf doc for any doubts.... reading in this forum gets into mind easily like chatting with friends.. so lets continue with our tech discussions.... though a minimum amount of digressions are acceptable like good morning, how r u etc. :D

Is there any possible of uploading PDF documents here---so that any one can download it and access

sarna_blr
25th February 2008, 12:25 PM

never degrade about yourself---

No-one is genius in world--everybody is learner---

u may be in LKG---

I may be in 1st standard---

Our R_R and App_engine may be in SSLC---

thatsall

Arthi
25th February 2008, 12:28 PM
As of now only we four are contributing/learning from this thread.

Why don't you share with four of us, if u have no problem? :idea:

anyone joins this thread,we can circulate the pdf :idea:

sarna_blr
25th February 2008, 12:31 PM
As of now only we four are contributing/learning from this thread.

Why don't you share with four of us, if u have no problem? :idea:

anyone joins this thread,we can circulate the pdf :idea:

How come?

Ho to upload PDF documents in this thread?

Arthi
25th February 2008, 12:32 PM
sarna, rightly said...

I will improve my PCB knowledge, btw i can improce my electronics knowledge too, ofcouse which is essential.

again i get a chance to brush up my knowledge after 4 years... i am not currently into electronics field... that is why i made such statement.

sarna_blr
25th February 2008, 12:34 PM
sarna, rightly said...

I will improve my PCB knowledge, btw i can improce my electronics knowledge too, ofcouse which is essential.

again i get a chance to brush up my knowledge after 4 years... i am not currently into electronics field... that is why i made such statement.

To improve PCB knowledge--Electronics knowledge is very important

raaja_rasigan
25th February 2008, 01:52 PM

PCB is nothing but an electronics circuit's hardware

sarna_blr
25th February 2008, 01:56 PM

PCB is nothing but an electronics circuit's hardware

naan Printed Circuit Board'nla nenachEn :lol: :lol: :lol:

Veettu velai theriyum'nu sonna--samayalum theriyum'nu arththam

Samayal theriyum'nu sonnaa, veettu velayum theriyum'nu arththamaa?

Samayal ---PCB
Veettu velai---Electronics

app_engine
26th February 2008, 01:17 AM
When there was this limitation of fabricating only DSPTH and not more layers in the country (I'm talking about many years back), the EMI problem was quite sharp (though that has come down after easy availability of 4 layer boards inside the country, with the supply and ground layers taking away a lot of pressure on the PCB designer).

Otherwise, on just a double side board, it was challenge for all the clock signals (remember we're talking only about 2 Mhz:-) With frequencies in the order of GHz, I expect this to be phenomenal nowadays (microwaves work in this freq range, cooking food - though at higher power / intensity)

OK, coming to the topic, one of the techniques used to avoid this clock signal (like the PCM clock) getting distorted was to give a "ground guard". i.e. if there is a long running track of clock signal, have a "ground loop track" around the "clock track" !

sarna_blr
26th February 2008, 09:45 AM
Inru crosstalk'a paththi chinnadhaa oru bit

Crosstalk, which is the coupling of energy from one line to another, will occur whenever the
electromagnetic fields from different structures interact. In digital designs the occurrence of
crosstalk is very widespread. Crosstalk will occur on the chip, on the PCB board, on the
connectors, on the chip package, and on the connector cables. Furthermore, as technology
and consumer demands push for physically smaller and faster products, the amount of
crosstalk in digital systems is increasing dramatically. Subsequently, crosstalk will introduce
significant hurdles into system design, and it is vital that the engineer learn the mechanisms
that cause crosstalk and the design methodologies to compensate for it.

raaja_rasigan
26th February 2008, 08:10 PM
Today a practical doubt (happened today in the board of my collegue):

Pin sequences for the power connector & a RJ45 is reversed in foot print.

Board is manufactured & while assembling they found the problem.

What will they do to make the board work or is the board is a waste?

// customer mailed saying that he need to do some surgery in the board //

app_engine
26th February 2008, 11:10 PM
oh..Oh:-(

Power connector may be possible to cut / re-route the tracks (can manually drill an extra hole and wire). Though the same may be done for RJ45, it would be a lot more messier. They may instead think about buying RJ45's with wires (not PCB mounting type) and mount them on the plastic box itself or on a bracket...

Ofcourse the above suggestions are only if the board is too expensive and time for revised board to obtain is too long etc. Otherwise, personally, I never liked the cut-and-route kind of works on PCB, though we had done a lot of them those days.

app_engine
26th February 2008, 11:15 PM

never degrade about yourself---

No-one is genius in world--everybody is learner---

u may be in LKG---

I may be in 1st standard---

Our R_R and App_engine may be in SSLC---

thatsall

Actually, I am an "illiterate" in PCB design (means no formal education). Though worked with them for many years as "thaRkuRi", now practically "retired":-)) For the last 5 years or so probably didn't even touch a PCB (as I've got into ERP implementations / software analysis / design / development etc on a full-time basis).

So any information that I post here may be "dated" (means very old). However, I feel some of these are basic in nature and can serve as primers to aspiring PCB designers.

Arthi
27th February 2008, 08:53 AM
Hey I faced an error message while closing the PADS s/w (schematic)

Yesterday while designing a Circut, i placed 3 powersupplies and deleted the rest of the 2 power supplies. I was naming the sheet by providing some information like company name, sheet name etc.
After this changes i save the design. I made a few changes though minor in the design and I tried to close the design, I came across with a dialog box "Do you want to save changes". I opted for 'Yes" option. After this I came across an error message "Segmentation Fault ..."

What does it mean?

Arthi
27th February 2008, 08:56 AM

I am not an expert (obviously) to suggest you any tips but we too came across such issues

To avoid this problem, we should always take printout of the mirror image of the layout.
shouldn't we?

Arthi
27th February 2008, 08:58 AM
For the last 5 years or so probably didn't even touch a PCB (as I've got into ERP implementations / software analysis / design / development etc on a full-time basis).

same goes good for me too, but my hunger to become a good PCB designer oneday yields me the result !!!

sarna_blr
27th February 2008, 09:02 AM

If those board are used for only testing purpose, then u can mount the components on bottom side(if all through hole)----
try it.....

raaja_rasigan
27th February 2008, 10:16 AM
The pin sequence is not our problem... the datasheets doesn't show the pin#1 marking & my collegue has mailed about this while releasing the gerbers

: anyway thanks for ur suggestions sarna & app, since my practical knowledge is very minimal i thought of asking this

sarna_blr
27th February 2008, 10:19 AM
The pin sequence is not our problem... the datasheets doesn't show the pin#1 marking & my collegue has mailed about this while releasing the gerbers

: anyway thanks for ur suggestions sarna & app, since my practical knowledge is very minimal i thought of asking this

Whether ur problem get solved---if not

Please give me details--i think I can help you

raaja_rasigan
27th February 2008, 10:22 AM
Arthi, reg: ur error message, i am not using schematic much, though I know the basics in schematic .... search with help & check.

Mostly customers send us the netlist, so that we directly work in Layout.

Also, mostly schematic is done in orcad capture

Arthi
27th February 2008, 10:24 AM
Arthi, reg: ur error message, i am not using schematic much, though I know the basics in schematic .... search with help & check.

ok no probs :D

so you do only layout in PADS?

raaja_rasigan
27th February 2008, 10:25 AM

He is a US customer & manufactured in US.... so they won't get bck to us for any manufacturing suggestions

raaja_rasigan
27th February 2008, 10:33 AM

ok no probs :D

so you do only layout in PADS?

I can say that i frequently work in Layout

sarna_blr
27th February 2008, 10:43 AM

He is a US customer & manufactured in US.... so they won't get bck to us for any manufacturing suggestions

Actualla unga question idhu dhaana,
Pin sequences for the power connector & a RJ45 is reversed in foot print. Board is manufactured & while assembling they found the problem.

If so u can mount the component on bottom side(surely if through hole)

Ore velai unga question idhu illana--neenga konjam thelivaa kelvi kekkalaam...

By the by I am having little lot of practical experience--because In my company, we will design, manufacture, assemble and test---so like this problem we have faced a lot...
So i think I can help u

raaja_rasigan
27th February 2008, 11:11 AM
Pin sequences for the power connector & a RJ45 is reversed in foot print. Board is manufactured & while assembling they found the problem.

Yes..... this is my question & in the bottom side of the board.. a daughter card is to be attached.. so i don't thing they can mount in the opposite side

sarna... r u doing circuit designing also..... if so how can i start learning this.... i am zero in this part & mostly companies calling for Board designing / Hardware... so i feel a bit tough to shift

sarna_blr
27th February 2008, 11:16 AM

Yes..... this is my question & in the bottom side of the board.. a daughter card is to be attached.. so i don't thing they can mount in the opposite side

sarna... r u doing circuit designing also..... if so how can i start learning this.... i am zero in this part & mostly companies calling for Board designing / Hardware... so i feel a bit tough to shift

Best IDEA---u should join a company saying that u have basic knowledge in it----
Circuit designing is not a big deal----But i am learning now---
Upto my knowledge,
u should know the basics of electronics to learn circuit designing and if PCB knowledge--it will be very helpful for u

raaja_rasigan
27th February 2008, 11:38 AM
OK..... first i'll thorough my Electronics basics

sarna_blr
27th February 2008, 12:04 PM
OK..... first i'll thorough my Electronics basics

:D :D

Arthi
27th February 2008, 01:49 PM
Circuit designing.... are u ppl talking abt schematic??? in ORCAD it is called capture

sarna_blr
27th February 2008, 01:53 PM
Circuit designing.... are u ppl talking abt schematic??? in ORCAD it is called capture

Not about Schematic editing---Schematic designing..... :)

Arthi
27th February 2008, 01:56 PM
What is the difference between schematic designing & Editing?

sarna_blr
27th February 2008, 02:05 PM

Designin means---They will tell u that they need this function--for that u have select appropriate components and design the schematic

Editing means--they will give u the designed schematic and u have to capture it in ORCAD CAPTURE or someother tool

got it

Arthi
27th February 2008, 02:08 PM

Designin means---They will tell u that they need this function--for that u have select appropriate components and design the schematic

Editing means--they will give u the designed schematic and u have to capture it in ORCAD CAPTURE or someother tool

got it

ok ok got it :)

designing is tougher :roll:
Do you design a circuit :shock: :clap:
Let me learn one by one

Thanks sarna for ur explanation :D

sarna_blr
27th February 2008, 02:09 PM

got it

Let me learn one by one

I am learning now.....,

raaja_rasigan
27th February 2008, 03:02 PM

got it

Let me learn one by one

I am learning now.....,

if any link for step by step learning, provide it.. i'll try

sarna_blr
27th February 2008, 03:04 PM

got it

Let me learn one by one

I am learning now.....,

if any link for step by step learning, provide it.. i'll try

I have no links---But i will give u tips

Arthi
27th February 2008, 03:11 PM
Hey we can share the knowledge about designing circuits, so everyone will be benifited.

I don't have even my Basic of Electronics book on hand :(

app_engine
27th February 2008, 09:14 PM
While you people are getting into circuit design (& schematic drawing), let me throw in some more info (probably "dated") on PCB laminates.

We've had an earlier posting on the "board thickness" hindering component mounting. (For example, if the board is 3.2mm thick, it could then be difficult to mount certain components (like flat cable connectors) that have shorter pin leads.) And the thickness of PCB is the sum total of the thicknesses of insulating laminate layer(s) and the copper that is clad on it. Though the "solder mask" is an additional layer and so is the legend printing, these typically are "coatings" and hence do not significantly affect the overall board thickness. Even the copper is only microns thick (35 micron for most signal boards and 70 microns for some power supplies) but could contribute a little bit in the case of multilayer boards.

Most digital boards are 1.6mm thick while the "mother boards" for chassis equipments (having mostly connectors to which other boards are plugged in) could be 2.4, 3.2 mm or thicker. And typically these 1.6mm boards have 2 or 4 layers with the laminate taking most of the 1.6 mm. If it's a double side board (or even a single side board), there is just one insulating laminate of 1.6 mm and if it's a four layer board there will have to be 3 thinner layers of laminate sandwiched between the four copper sheets.

And these insulating laminates for double side or multilayer PCBs are usually of FR4 grade or better, while these could be of lower FR grade (FR2, FR3 etc) for entertainment electronics boards that are typically singe sided (audio / TV / toys)

Now what is this FR thing? It is expanded as "Flame Retardant" grade level, as this insulating material should also be thermally insulative as there are possibilities of temperature increase due to various reasons:
a) Electrical current flows through the copper patterns which have some resistance and could generate heat
b) The electronic components generating a lot of heat (think about those power transistors with heat-sinks)
c) The ambient temperature itself could shoot up (e.g. boards used in automobiles or in Rajasthan's desert)

The material of the laminate decides which FR grade it fits in. Some commonly used ones are:

Paper phenolic - FR2 - used in toys, audio, TV etc and appears brown in color. Can easily break:-) For mass production of single side boards, they don't even drill holes but 'punch' using a press tool.

Paper Epoxy -FR3 - used in some telephones where the phone companies like BSNL / MTNL insists it to be of that grade. Yellowish brown, can also be "punched" to make holes

Glass Epoxy - FR4 - This is the green colored laminate used in most professional boards / computers / telecom etc, more suited for DSPTH / ML boards. I have observed some single sided boards without PTH getting punched (especially for thicknesses below 1.6mm), but 1.6mm or above are mostly drilled.

app_engine
28th February 2008, 12:13 AM
Another abbreviation that one might encounter in the bare PCB manufacture is 'SMOBC', which is expanded as "Solder Mask Over Bare Copper". Why this term? This has some history.

As briefly mentioned in prior posts, the circuit is etched out in copper. And copper can easily get oxidised. That means, if we store a PCB for a while, it'll lose the "solderability" resulting in poor quality, especially during automatic soldering processes. So, after etching out the circuit, they used to plate the whole area with tin (Sn?) in olden days, and then apply the solder mask (the green colored ink). Those points which are not "masked" will be soldered when passing through the bath. When I started my job as a trainee engineer, this used to be the norm (that of plating complete area with tin and then apply the mask, and this tin plating was a time consuming process as it's basically "electro plating" with baths, electrodes, chemicals etc and messy).

Then the smart machine was developed which could literally "pump" the shiny, tin coating in one quick shot to whichever area got unmasked on the PCB.

So, the process got changed -first apply the solder mask on the "bare copper" circuit, after the unwanted copper is etched out to get the circuit. This becomes "SMOBC"

Then pass the board through this "wonder machine" which coats with the "shiny, tinny" stuff (to all the unmasked area, like component pads etc). This saves a lot of material (which was a waste before being buried under the solder mask).

Old process : drill cu_clad sheets > etch out > tin plating > solder mask
Revised : drill > etch out > solder mask (SMOBC) > "bath" with solder coat in the machine

Big innovation those days!

app_engine
28th February 2008, 12:37 AM
Hey we can share the knowledge about designing circuits, so everyone will be benifited.

I don't have even my Basic of Electronics book on hand :(

web irukka bayam edhaRku? google and you'll probably get more info:-)

sarna_blr
4th March 2008, 11:29 AM
Enna aachu ...indha hub'ku

Arthi..enga...

Arthi
4th March 2008, 12:10 PM

Arthi..enga...

hub-ku enna aachu oNuum aagala
namba Thread dhan slow-a eruku :P

sorry guys another 10 days i can't peep in here :( :x
I should have something to talk here, I am not practising... just wait for 10 more days :cry:

I will start trying PCB designing again :thumbsup:

raaja_rasigan
4th March 2008, 12:41 PM

Arthi..enga...

I should have something to talk here, I am not practising... just wait for 10 more days :cry:

:lol: :) i already told u that hobby cannot become a habit.....

anyway... for me too more work now..... i'll try to post 1 or 2 things per day

sarna_blr
4th March 2008, 12:45 PM

Arthi..enga...

kaNNu pada pOgudhayya chinna goundarE........
umakku suththi poda venumayya chinna goundarE......

Arthi
4th March 2008, 01:53 PM

Arthi..enga...

While writing those sentence, i seriously thought of you and hope that u wld comment
nirubichuteenga :twisted:

hope i will also prove u :thumbsup:

sarna_blr
4th March 2008, 02:23 PM

Arthi..enga...

While writing those sentence, i seriously thought of you and hope that u wld comment
nirubichuteenga :twisted:

hope i will also prove u :thumbsup:

ennanu....that hobby cannot become a habit..... na... :lol:

raaja_rasigan
6th March 2008, 04:20 PM
sarna...... post some basic electronics & pcb layout tips (interview point of view)

sarna_blr
6th March 2008, 04:37 PM
main question will be...

How many nets will u route perday?

Can u answer for this....with reason...if yes give me...

raaja_rasigan
6th March 2008, 05:03 PM
not practical ?'s... some theoritical ?'s like:

Stripline
Microstrip
what is a diff pair... etc. etc.

local-a sonna.... nalla bittu podura madhiri irukkanum

sarna_blr
6th March 2008, 05:18 PM
not practical ?'s... some theoritical ?'s like:

Stripline
Microstrip
what is a diff pair... etc. etc.

local-a sonna.... nalla bittu podura madhiri irukkanum

Microstripline....traces routed in top and bottom side....propagation delay is 140ps per inch or 55ps per cm

Stripline...traces routed in inner layers...propagation delay per inch is 180ps per inch or 70ps per cm

Differential pair....already solli irukkEn..irundhaalum..once again

Two signals which have same value but opposite in magnitude

A+ and A- have same value A and opposite in magnitude..(sign)

sarna_blr
6th March 2008, 05:59 PM
http://www.ece.arizona.edu/~ece372_spr04/ece372_spr05/References/pcb_xilinx.pdf

lot of useful informations are there......

sarna_blr
6th March 2008, 06:06 PM
few informations addition to Strip and microstrips...

For an outer-layer trace (air on one side), the propagation delay is 140 ps/inch, or 55 ps/cm. For an inner-layer trace (FR4 with E = 4.5 on both sides), the propagation delay is 180 ps/inch, or 70 ps/cm.

The voltage-to-current ratio at any point along the transmission line is called the characteristic impedance Z0. It is determined by w/d, the ratio of trace width "w" to the distance "d" above the ground or VCC plane.

For an outer layer trace (microstrip):

Z0=50 ohms when w = 2d (e.g., w = 4 mil, d = 2 mil),

Z0=75 ohms when w = d (e.g., both 2 mil = 0.5mm).

For an inner layer trace (stripline):

Z0=50 ohms when w = 0.6*d (e.g., w = 4 mil, d = 2 mil),

Z0=75 ohms when w = 0.25*d (impractical).

Most signal traces fall into the range of 40 to 80 ohms

raaja_rasigan
6th March 2008, 06:30 PM
:ty:

char imp. appadiye manasula padhiya vechuttaen.. so simple while reading here

sarna_blr
6th March 2008, 06:33 PM
if u ask question I can answer...in my level...

c..u gave few hints...i was able to answer...so please wt u need...

raaja_rasigan
6th March 2008, 06:42 PM
tomorrow going for an interview... vandhu let us discuss.... ippodhaikku enakkum theriyala enna ketpadhendru

sarna_blr
6th March 2008, 06:44 PM
congradulations....best of luck...

Arthi
6th March 2008, 06:46 PM
tomorrow going for an interview... vandhu let us discuss.... ippodhaikku enakkum theriyala enna ketpadhendru

:thumbsup: sEndru vaarungaL vEndru vaarungaL :thumbsup:

raaja_rasigan
6th March 2008, 06:46 PM
:ty:

:nanri:

sarna_blr
6th March 2008, 06:48 PM
Hi r_r...this is one of the blog/forum for PCB

u may get better ideas..try

http://blog.ednchina.com/hitwcm/37581/message.aspx

raaja_rasigan
6th March 2008, 06:50 PM

:thumbsup: sEndru vaarungaL vEndru vaarungaL :thumbsup:

:)

ada neenga vera..... time pass-ku pala peru interview veppanga...
just for an experience i am going........

nalaikku edhavadhu poi sollanum office-la :?

raaja_rasigan
6th March 2008, 06:51 PM
ok...... friends... nalai malai sandhippoam...

raaja_rasigan
7th March 2008, 02:21 PM
sarna & Arthi...... came to office by 12:30 pm..... just 20 mins interview.... kettavarukke adhigam theriyalai (enakkumdhan)... its a small company, much smaller than my current one....

so.. next company pakkalamnu adha patri marandhuttaen

Arthi
7th March 2008, 02:23 PM
hey I was about to ask u abt ur interview
so sweet of u, u shared here :D

yes, jump for a bigger company which has more scope than the current one :D

All the best !!! :thumbsup:

raaja_rasigan
7th March 2008, 02:24 PM
?'s asked:

as usual.. strip line, Microstrip - its advantages

good designing - minimise layers & via count

about impedence control boards

& whats ur role in the company / ur clients

sarna_blr
7th March 2008, 02:25 PM
sarna & Arthi...... came to office by 12:30 pm..... just 20 mins interview.... kettavarukke adhigam theriyalai (enakkumdhan)... its a small company, much smaller than my current one....

so.. next company pakkalamnu adha patri marandhuttaen

In my opinion...company is not important...how can u expose urself and develop ur skills...that is main...

raaja_rasigan
7th March 2008, 02:26 PM
both have advantages & disadvantages, IMO

Arthi
7th March 2008, 02:29 PM
yes IMO company size(either big or small) is not imp, but scope for us is imp
What we can learn from that company is imp

sarna_blr
7th March 2008, 02:46 PM

accepted...only in money wise...

raaja_rasigan
7th March 2008, 04:12 PM
when u r in a Big company...... no need to explain much to the interviewer about ur company..... they would have already known it... but if a small company means, need to explain as much as possible so that he comes to a conlusion that it is not a "dappa" company

------------------------------
sarna..... seriously i need to steady my basic electronics..... from monday lets start step by step

sarna_blr
7th March 2008, 04:15 PM
surely.......

sarna_blr
11th March 2008, 10:06 AM
Hi R_R...Can u post the questions that had been asked in ur interview...let us discuss on that....

raaja_rasigan
19th March 2008, 02:47 PM
1) What will be the return path for a signal in a 2 layer board (for a multilayer board, adjacent plane will be return path)

sarna_blr
19th March 2008, 02:53 PM
1) What will be the return path for a signal in a 2 layer board (for a multilayer board, adjacent plane will be return path)

ur explaination for return path is wrong...

sarna_blr
19th March 2008, 03:07 PM
R_R....

Always signals will be a closed loop....

Let us take one signal as X...and X is going through Y to Z...so the return path should be going through some media so that the loop will be closed.... mostly this return path will be ground...but in some cases pwr will be there...Generally for analog signals we will use analog ground as adjacent plane and for digital signals we will have digital ground as adjacent plane...but wn we r using planes return path will be less...so no problem..

but in case of 2 layers...we should avoid lenghthy routings especially in pwr & gnds....

this is a big topic will continue....

Bipolar
1st August 2008, 09:02 PM
I'm not very knowledgable about this topic, but... I think you may find the following textbooks useful:

Practical Electronics Handbook, 6th Ed. (http://rs167.rapidshare.com/files/116041685/Practical_Electronics_Handbook.rar), Sinclair and Dunton.

Radio Electronics Cookbook (http://rapidshare.com/files/21843186/Radio___Electronics_Cookbook.pdf), Brown.

HonestRaj
3rd October 2008, 09:00 PM
:) [edho niyabagam vandhadhu]

sakaLAKALAKAlaa Vallavar
29th October 2008, 12:01 PM
http://www.edaboard.com/

PCB Routing & Schematic Layout software & Simulation
http://www.edaboard.com/forum6.html

etho nammaala mudinjathu :)

HonestRaj
6th November 2008, 11:32 AM
Found this to be a useful link

http://www.hardware-guru.net/index.htm

sarna_blr
9th March 2009, 05:36 PM
http://circuitcalculator.com/wordpress/

this blog has some useful informations regarding PCB Designing :D

sarna_blr
9th March 2009, 05:43 PM
http://www.smps.us/pcb-design.html

jaaze
23rd April 2009, 01:23 PM
I hate PCB designing :banghead: (hope I won't have it this sem :shaking: )