PDA

View Full Version : muthu comics

Oldposts
12th December 2004, 08:32 AM
Topic started by sunder (sunder_chn@yahoo.co.uk) (@ ppp-181-150.bng.vsnl.net.in) on Wed Dec 6 03:46:30 .

ungal yaridamavathu pazhaya muthu comics irrukindranava.mukkiyamaka lawrence& david,irumbukkai mayavi,johnynero ivai irunthal
ennai thodarbu kollungal

Oldposts
Old responses (http://forumhub.com/tlit/12538.20648.03.46.30.html)

Oldposts
I decided to look for refs. to Curly Wee in Google and came upon this discussion. I was an avid reader of that comic strip too. Each year we had an annual and I remember one called 'Curly Wee and the Golden Galleon'. Does anyone remember the year of that annual or have any other info about who wrote the strip and whether it continued elsewhere after The Mail closed down?

Oldposts
Hi Alex,
I think the Curly Wee annual you are refering to is "The Sunken Galleon" and I think it may be from 1952. This annual also contained two other stories- "The Rabbits at the Grand Hotel" and "Curly Wee and Pointed Fang". The cover shows Curly riding a grey horse.I do have this one and four others. Some were printed by the Madras Mail. Others were printed by The Liverpool Echo and The Irish Mail. The author was Maud Budden and the illustrator was Roland Clibborn. These annuals are now getting very hard to find. I hope this helps you.

Oldposts
This is an invisible thread???

Oldposts
Is curly wee a british comic?

Oldposts
Hi,
Curly wee started as a newspaper strip comic in the Liverpool Echo paper England. It was also printed in the Irish Mail Dublin and the Madras Mail India. Once a year a annual was produced. This usually contained three full length stories in colour(unlike the newspaper black & white stories). This annual was a hardback with coloured front and rear cover illustrations. I hope this is of use tou you, Dave.

Oldposts
Thanks Dave.

One question: I assume you are British. But how did you get to know so much about the Madras Mail? Just curious :)

Oldposts
Hi V,
I was born in India in 1944, in the south,and stayed there until 1954. I then went to Karachi in Pakistan for a year before coming to England where I have been ever since. I have always been interested in comics, both British and US and I have quite a nice collection at present, though I have had to thin it down considerably over the past ten years due to the lack of space.

Oldposts
Dave,

If you are a comic lover try and visit the usenet newsgroup news://alt.binaries.pictures.comics . You will find a lot of like minded people there. They even swap comic books online! You may be able to find news of comics you are interested there.

Also if you do IRC, try logging in to newnet IRC and join the channels #comicbooks and #hacsa. Lot of people swap online digital versions of old comics like spiderman etc.

Oldposts
HI V,
Thanks for the information. However I am not familar with the address you gave me. Is there a fuller web address that you can give me please? Is there something I need to do first in order to get to the site you listed?
Thanks,
Dave.

Oldposts
Hello,
I was very pleased to obtain in very good condition a non colour version of "Curly Wee & Gussie Goose" in Beverley last year.The Thief of the Horse Academy" was the first story.Cairo Edition.Ilved near Birmingham and "Count Curly Wee" continued to around 1967.The Annual was in colour but I am yet to find one.Each years looks identical.
Good Luck.
Nicholas Morrison.

Oldposts
Hullo.
I have a copy in extreely good condition of a Cairo edition from the "& Gussie Goose" series but I hope to find a Colour copy of the "Count Curly Wee" series.Both exceeded 10000 strips but the Gussie series jumped from 1199 to 2000.Thus the Count series always carried a smaller number.I recall the colourisation of thre strip was very successful.
The place to look may be around Birmingham where the "Count" series was published.There is the University of Kent who have a special section for newspaper strip cartoons but they only started up sometime after the series ended.
Let me know if you wish to borrow.
I may have some troble with my E Mail address.I think I am acnmorrison but what I can do is come back to this page.
The address is 30,Templegate View,Leeds.LS15 Ohq

Oldposts
Dave,

What V is pointing you to is not a web site but a usenet news group. You need to ask your ISP how to set up access to their news server, and then subscribe to the newsgroup. Hope this helps.

Oldposts
I would love to find some of the Curly Wee annuals. We had them when I was a child and i particularly remember the story about Mr Fox who was a coiner, Mona Mouse going to boarding school and, my favourite, the story of a pair of goats who were wreckers and had a poor kid who actually was not really their own child. If anyone could let me know where I could get hold of some copies, I would be very grateful.

Oldposts
Sorry folks, all those hoping to find Curly Wee books might as well start searching for King Solomon's mines. I got my copies about 18 to 20 years ago and even then it was not easy. I have been searching ever since. I used to deal in comics here in the UK so I got to know just about every source there was. However, there is always hope,I'm still trying. England is a strange place for finding the unsual.Just because it's a small country doesn't mean to say that once it's been searched something won't pop up the very next day.
Bye the way,the story about wreckers working on the Cornish coast mentioned by Claire was called 'The Ugly Kid'

Oldposts
Hi,
Is anyone out there interested in UK Classics Illustrated and their related items?

Oldposts
Hello There,
I recently did a "Indian Comics" Special of my magazine THE WORLD'S COMIC. I was able to cover Muthu/Lion as well as Diamond Comics but could find no contact addresses or web sites for other Indian publishers such as Rani.

As I want to do a follow up issue could someone PLEASE supply me withsuch addresses -I need them as soon as possible?

Regards to all,
Terry Hooper

Oldposts
I am a regular reader of all tamil comics and i collect the same. Any discussions about any issue welcome

Oldposts
I am a regular reader of all tamil comics and i collect the same. Any discussions about any issue welcome

Oldposts
hello!!!!

i hv the following books for sale. please contact me with your best offer. no exchanges please, only cash sale.

package 1:
muthu - from first till date. all in good condition. about 80% good(cover to cover), 15% readable(either front or back or both cover missing) and 5% fair(no covers/slightly damaged, but all pages are there).

package 2:
lion - from first till date. all in good condition. cover to cover.

thigil - from first till last. all in good condition. cover to cover.

minilion - from first till last. all in good condition. cover to cover.

junior lion - couple of books including the first issue of lucky luke's super circus.

pavkage 3:
rani comics - from first till 125. all in good condition. cover to cover.

package 4:
indrajal comics - lots of them(about 50+). all in fair condition.

package 5:
asterix & tintin - 10 each. all in good condition.

package 6:
parvathi siththirakkathaikal - lots of them (30+). all in good condition.

please giv ur quote for each package if interested. no splitting of packages/no loose sales.

for the attn. of all(particularly overseas) customers:
payment is only acceptable through draft in indian rupees or USD check. checks are subjected to realisation. despatch will be after realisation. no credit card please. despatch within 10 days after the realisation/payment.

i'm looking for some good offers from die-hard fans like erb, muthufan others...

contact mail id vikaramkomar@yahoo.com

see ya!!!!

best regards
vikkiram

Oldposts
So what was your offer for the package 1?

Oldposts
Don't lose hope! I managed to track down 2 Curly Wee annuals from second hand shops in the UK earlier this year, each costing about £40. I did this by regularly checking their stocklists on the internet until eventually I tracked them down. I think the website was called www.booksearch.com which is American. The website will produce the title and try to sell it to you for at least twice the price the bookseller is selling it for. Some investigation (easy if you are in the UK) will lead you to the actual bookseller and from them you can get it at the 'real' price. Keep trying!

Oldposts
Gawrsh! This thread is still alive?

Oldposts
I am pleased to be able to report that "Count Curly Wee" is rerunning in the Irish Independent.Today's strip number is 4126 and is a strip from Curly and the Sunken Galleon.It does not look out of place and appears below Dilbert and James Bond.I am impressed by both author and artist.
I cannot see any reason why the stories should not contiue to run indefinetly as I believe the newspaper which is a quality paper owns the copywrite.

Oldposts
hi i am a teacher of english. as a child i immensely enjoyed curly wee in the madras mail and the annuals too. i teach 10 -12 years old. what would i not giveto have a few photo copies of the annuals. i shall be passing on the pleasure of reading to generations of students. my mail id is sitaky@hotmail.com till then let me keep my fingers croi am sure someone will help a poor old lady. sita

Oldposts
I used to read Curly Wee in a Plymouth paper years ago - me & my hubby learnt one of them 35 year ago - and it went like this:

It is, it is, the Giant Mole,
And by his side we see,
Supporting him with trotter firm,
Our hero, Curly Wee

The squirrel hears the pig reply,
In manner unafraid,
I'll take you to the hospital
And get that paw x-rayed

Oldposts
[tscii:0b229d510a]Hello Everyone.
For some strange reason Muthu rejected the 52pp HEROES OF INDIA comic after it was drawn. Diamond Comics said they were interested but since
they received all the artwork not a word of reply to any of my e-mails!! Such rudeness.

Anyone out there know of any Indian comic company that might be interested in Indian super heroes based in India? HEROES OF INDIA has been greatly received by Indian comic buyers in the UK who were shown the pages so its a pity to let it go to waste!

Anyone got any samples of Indian [not US or other reprints] home grown super hero comics?

India is such a wonderful market for a new company so its a pity no entrepeneur doesn't back a new comic there [did I mention I package comics for different companies?].

Regards to all
Terry Hooper[/tscii:0b229d510a]

Oldposts
[tscii:d66eeca8b4]Hi There!
I'm surprised that there are so very few responses
on this site to some postings.

I'm working on material for submission to Indian
publishers and the current project,TASK FORCE INDIA [TFI] can be called a type of Indian AVENGERS or JUSTICE LEAGUE of AMERICA.

I VERY MUCH want to know what Indian readers would like to see as I'm sure those of you who buy comics out there MUST have opinions!

So,please,let's hear from you!!
Regards,
Terry Hooper-Scharf[/tscii:d66eeca8b4]

Oldposts
[tscii:32d3bea83a]I want to buy indrajal comics or any other phantom ,mandrake like frew etc . please mail me if you want to sell[/tscii:32d3bea83a]

Oldposts
[tscii:28bc73889f]Review of Latest Muthu comics:
Yaanai kallarai. Starting from the cover, the issue is really excellent. After a long time I am reading a breathe taking story cover to cover. The story line was unusual and the sketches were very clear. With action and suspense, the story was very interesting. We could feel the change in altitude and climate when we read the story. This shows that the sketches are realistic. Finally a good selection of story. [/tscii:28bc73889f]

Oldposts
[tscii:e80ab50232]Hello,
For some reason I cannot get onto the MUTHU/LION Comics site. I wanted to get copies to review as,apparently,Indian readers of my journal get their families to order comics I recommend from
India.

If someone could pass the word along to MUTHU's publishers I'd appreciate it.

Terry Hooper[/tscii:e80ab50232]

Oldposts
[tscii:c582ef6122]I have an extra copy of latest muthus. If you want I will send.[/tscii:c582ef6122]

Oldposts
[tscii:74c3d7213c]MR Terry, I have forwarded your message to MR Vijayan. The email id of Lion and Muthu is lion@vsnl.com[/tscii:74c3d7213c]

Oldposts
[tscii:173ae50b37]Dear ERB
Thank you for that. Hopefully once I get good scans of my comic work I can send a few samples as attachment to you?

Can you open ZIP files?

Thanks again and THANKS for the article on Indian comics!
Terry[/tscii:173ae50b37]

Oldposts
[tscii:93c58d4172]The scans are ready. You can now send me the file as .zip. I can open. You can send to erb_in@yahoo.com and cc to erb_in@sancharnet.in[/tscii:93c58d4172]

Oldposts
[tscii:85bc728c77]still no progress as to where one can buy the Curly wee annuals now!!![/tscii:85bc728c77]

Oldposts
[tscii:be8a212243]I have a 1948 for 1949 Annual that lacks the cover and page 79/80.I am able to provide provide colour photocopies of the cover,endpapers(which effectively includes page 93) and page79/80.Can anyone provide these with a home I will happily send these they have no value.It may be possible to bind it.
Nicholas Morrison. [/tscii:be8a212243]

Oldposts
[tscii:6746d27e45]I have a 1948 for 1949 Annual that lacks the cover and page 79/80.I am able to provide provide colour photocopies of the cover,endpapers(which effectively includes page 93) and page79/80.Can anyone provide these with a home I will happily send these they have no value.It may be possible to bind it.
Nicholas Morrison. [/tscii:6746d27e45]

Oldposts
[tscii:211fa7c987]My LP Records collection is at:

http://tfmpage.com/forum/7117.13.23.15.html#last

My comics collection for sale is at the following link:

http://forumhub.com/tlit/25240.13.35.33.html#last

[/tscii:211fa7c987]

Oldposts
Hello

It is nice to see so many muthu comics fans.

Oldposts
WHAT HAPPENED TO TERRY HOOPER.?

Oldposts
Just in case somebody is looking at this page for the first time and does not look at the older entries,they may like to know that Curly Wee is being rerun in The Irish Independent.

Oldposts
[tscii:d5dd7bfcaa]Hello,Friends,
please wisit always www.lioncomics.com. in'DISCUSSION'chart.There is super comics fan's writing childhood memory's.
It is nice to see so many muthu comics fans.
----Ramesh--.[/tscii:d5dd7bfcaa]

Oldposts
[tscii:1a4e51fc6a]Someone E Mailed me from America.Can he contact me and I may be able to help.
[/tscii:1a4e51fc6a]

Oldposts
[tscii:de72f5e4ef]terry hooper wrote to me that he had been cheated by one person and got into lot of trouble. His computer also broke down. Soon we can hear from him and his great work to comics[/tscii:de72f5e4ef]

Oldposts
[tscii:2303e83aca]i am looking for spider stories in lion 1967-1969
alon[/tscii:2303e83aca]

Oldposts
[tscii:f317072790]Hello,Everyone!
Its been a while since I posted due to various very complex problems. I have been trying to find some place to buy old and new Indian/Tamil comics over the internet but have had no luck -I wanted to get the Raj hero titles.
I'm up-dating art on the HEROES OF INDIA project and have even set up an indian comics discussion site with scans in the Files section. In case you are interested its at:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/indiancomics (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/indiancomics
)
All feed back is welcome!
Best Wishes,
Terry HOOPER[/tscii:f317072790]

Oldposts
[tscii:c0dd8a6724]Hi,
Sorry,my error;I meant INDRAJAL COMICS and NOT "Raj"!
Terry HOOPER[/tscii:c0dd8a6724]

Oldposts
[tscii:59523d82c4]Hello.
My Indian comics site has attracted quite a few people as I have scans on Diamond,Muthu/Lion/CC and Amar covers.
Over the next few weeks I may try to add pages I produced for India.
Whatever,please feel free to check it out at;

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/indiancomics (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/indiancomics
)

All comments welcome.
Terry HOOPER[/tscii:59523d82c4]

Oldposts
[tscii:5dad52dfcb]Hello.
I was wondering whether I am posting on an active site as there appear to be no responses to recent e-mails -is the forum at a different address now?
Terry[/tscii:5dad52dfcb]
<a name="last"></a>

roboprof
14th October 2005, 01:29 AM
[tscii:1496ed5a0e]A Curly Wee annual (the 1950 edition I believe) has just appeared on eBay. If you miss it I have two 1948 and two 1950 copies and would like to sell one of each. I don't guarantee that these dates are correct but I am reasonably sure they are. The last Curly Wee annual I saw for sale was sold for $191.74 and that was the Glendale 1990 copy, cover price £5.99. The previous original I saw sold for around £100 from memory. I was "lucky" and got my Glendale copy for around £20 and my two genuine duplicate copies for around £50 each. I would love to buy more copies and share information with other Curly Wee annual owners. msmith{[AT}]iee.org replace {[AT}] with@ This ploy will avoid web crawlers sending even more spam to my email address I hope.[/tscii:1496ed5a0e]