PDA

View Full Version : What do u collect?

Alan
3rd March 2006, 09:55 AM
I have a passion for Crystal & Glassware, curios etc & try to collect those-
I'm also passionate about Ganesh idols(made of different materials- so far I have Ganesh idols in wood, ceramic, glass, sand, plaster of paris , silver & bronze)

What do you collect?

pooja.shankar
3rd March 2006, 12:42 PM
i collect all sorts of rubbish , in my mother's words ..

i collect greeting cards people send me
friendship bands i get
even letters i get ( coz hand written mails are so few now a days )
small things my friends get for me ..frm the various exchanges programmes and conferences they go to ..
Chocolate wrappers ... ( the thing i love the most in the world is chocolates ....i collect ..wrappers of expensive and my favorite choclates ...like Patchi ,Godiva , Lindtt , Sandwich chocolate from Cadbury )

and also favorite newspaper articles

and my articles and stories ..when they come in the local magazines or news papers ...

I like stationery too , its very stupid i know. .but i have some 29 varieties of pencils ..
from staedler , faber castel to nataraj and Amest international ..

Pens ..( my dad loves these too ) from a simple hero to Mont Blanc , Cross ,Sheffer , Waterman

i hate carrying hand bags ...but i collect them ..though ... Giordano ...and those . embroidery bags u get on the road sides in india ..i have about a score of them
i collect ..iodised jewellery , silver jewellery and bead work too ...( like egyptian jewellery ?)...and also Sworoski ..
I used to collect watches ...but my collection got stolen last year in chennai
i had some new ones i'd not even worn ..in there ..(i got really upset .....when my collection got stolen )
anyway ..i start collecting watches soon and i intend to collect shoes coon ! (l ol)

one thing about some of my collections is that they have to be expensive and rare( watches .for eg ) ...or even if t hey are cheap .. they shud be authentic and antique or tradional ( like iodised jewellery )

swathy
3rd March 2006, 12:48 PM
i collect greeting cards, rare pictures from the magazines.

Shakthiprabha.
3rd March 2006, 05:47 PM
I collect MEMORIES :wink:

swathy
3rd March 2006, 07:02 PM

:clap:

Alan
3rd March 2006, 07:55 PM

As poetical as one can get, huh, Shakthi mam? :lol:

Alan
3rd March 2006, 08:13 PM

friendship bands i get
small things my friends get for me ..frm the various exchanges programmes and conferences they go to ..
Chocolate wrappers ... ( the thing i love the most in the world is chocolates ....i collect ..wrappers of expensive and my favorite choclates ...like Patchi ,Godiva , Lindtt , Sandwich chocolate from Cadbury )

and my articles and stories ..when they come in the local magazines or news papers ...

I like stationery too , its very stupid i know. .but i have some 29 varieties of pencils ..

Pens ..( my dad loves these too ) from a simple hero to Mont Blanc , Cross ,Sheffer , Waterman

i hate carrying hand bags ...but i collect them ..though ... Giordano ...and those . embroidery bags u get on the road sides in india ..i have about a score of them
i collect ..iodised jewellery , silver jewellery and bead work too ...( like egyptian jewellery ?)...and also Sworoski ..
i had some new ones i'd not even worn ..in there ..(i got really upset .....when my collection got stolen )
anyway ..i start collecting watches soon and i intend to collect shoes coon ! (l ol)

one thing about some of my collections is that they have to be expensive and rare( watches .for eg ) ...or even if t hey are cheap .. they shud be authentic and antique or tradional ( like iodised jewellery )

Sorry to hear that your expensive watch collection was stolen! How did it happen? Was it a home-maid or something that you suspect?

I feel more than the value(monetary), its the value we give it that saddens us, right?

Lambretta
3rd March 2006, 09:00 PM
So do I! :D
Pooja, sorry to hear abt ur stolen collection......
I used to colelct stamps/coins since my schooldays & once my first coin collection was stolen from our own house (thru the window of my room!) at Hyd'bad many yrs ago! :(
Of course I managed to collect many more coins after tat.....altho given up for the time being since I can't find ne like-minded enthusiast.....I got into this wen I had a friend at school who was into stamps/coins....sum years later, he later gave it up & handed over all his stamps albums to me......
Even I liked collecting stationery at school.....used to hav lots of old Reynolds 040 blue/red pens then! :D
Nevertheless I eventually found solace by collecting old things at home (eg. a 1974 Nat'l Panasonic tape-recorder bought by my dad then, one of the first cassette t.recorders I think!) pics./parts/memorabilia of old vehicles (& at one point was keen to collect vehicles themselves! :lol:)......one room in our current house is full of spare-parts of old cars/scooters- inc. seats/tyres! much to my mom's disgust! :P :lol: Altho these r intended to serve for future use rather than collection!

pooja.shankar
4th March 2006, 09:58 AM

friendship bands i get

Sorry to hear that your expensive watch collection was stolen! How did it happen? Was it a home-maid or something that you suspect?

I feel more than the value(monetary), its the value we give it that saddens us, right? yea i already mentioned ...... how it got lost ..

yes ..ofcurse ...it is the valu that we place on it ..

especially if my diaries .and my memory box gets stolen ... i will die .... it has all my fond memories ..... and trifle collections since childhood

Alan
4th March 2006, 12:39 PM
When I asked how it happened, I meant did the thief who broke into your hse steal just that or was it a servant or something like that?

pooja.shankar
4th March 2006, 01:14 PM
no ya ..it iwas in the car ..and we had gone some wer ..wen we came back it was missing ..everythign else was in its place ..infact i dint notice it aws missing immediately ...only a little while later

terminator
4th March 2006, 03:25 PM
Once I collected the Coke, Pepsi, 7up, Sprite, Miranda, etcc... wrappers in in the pet bottles which we drank.

It counted more than hundred.

My friends called me PORIKI. :lol:

Then I came to know these softdrinks are not indian products and blah blah.

Ellathaiyum thooki pottuttean.

Now, I am collect my favourites Iterviews in daily and weekly magazines.

Also I have my school days notebooks, books, etc..

Enna ellam kuppai maathiri kidakkuthu..

Kastappattu paathukaaka vendi irukku, enga amma pazhaiya paper vangiravankitta kodukirathila aarvama irukkaanga. :lol:

Shakthiprabha.
4th March 2006, 04:28 PM
You know when we were kids,

we used to collect BROKEN BANGLES and make pictures out of it :)

it used to be fun.

I remember collecting

STAMPS, COINS, broken bangles, TAMARIND SEEDS (to play)

It used to be so funny, since we would go around lookin for broken things on the road, pick it up then and there, (shabby hands ofcourse :D ) unaware and not bothered about what ppl think bout us :D

terminator
4th March 2006, 04:34 PM
yeah, there is game with broken bangles.

Then collecting nice stones for ACHANGAL game.

Alan
4th March 2006, 05:05 PM
You know when we were kids,

we used to collect BROKEN BANGLES and make pictures out of it :)

it used to be fun.

I remember collecting

STAMPS, COINS, broken bangles, TAMARIND SEEDS (to play)

It used to be so funny, since we would go around lookin for broken things on the road, pick it up then and there, (shabby hands ofcourse :D ) unaware and not bothered about what ppl think bout us :D

WOW! Broken bangle pictures? My sister made a peacock out of broken bangles once & got the first prize for a Crafts competition in College.

You mount the pieces on cardboard/hardboard , right?

pooja.shankar
4th March 2006, 07:43 PM
Sadly i've never bought or worn glass bangles coz my knuckles aer very broad and i am pretty thin ...if i take a size that slips into my hand , then it will look huge on me ...if i take a size that looks fine for my hand then it won't even go into my hand and they break ..

i always wear bracelets or metal bangles ..

actually i am not a girly type and dunt wear much jewelery except on occasions (my mom hates this .. she expects me to wear ear rings and chain and pottu all the time ..... even bangles too ... but that ..she lets me off .... but i am rarely with all these on ..)

RP
5th March 2006, 01:02 PM

Memories is just like a tree that all leaves fade away but the foundation is as strong as a tree ....... :D

pooja.shankar
5th March 2006, 01:54 PM
nice RP

Shakthiprabha.
5th March 2006, 03:18 PM
rp :thumbsup:

u bet. :)

alan,

yeah we take a cardboard or some thick surface and glue the bangles. (some weird pics) sometims just arranged them in weird way, so that it looks like modern art. :)

Never saved any or developed that as an art to do it as big as pics as ur sis :)

Shakthiprabha.
5th March 2006, 03:24 PM
collecting memories......... remind me.....

Sometimes with the bahana of sitting up late for studies or to do some work, I STAY LATE NIGHT and read, browse etc. I watch tv very occassionally and LATE NIGHT is my fav time to watch. (no sound or external factors to disturb me)

I watch tamil hindi songs which packs me with my school, college or home-town memories.

A surge of emotions fills up, keep rising in my throat, unkwnon weird emotion. These emotions are NEITHER SAD, NOR HAPPY. Its... unexplainable.

Memories follow intermittently. The song, PPL along with it, comments, laughs, cries, words spoken. Connected town, ppl, institutions, schools, trees bus stand, other friends............

NEVER ENDING MOVIE.

it hurts at times :(. Def its not a sad memory. Yet I am not sure as to what hurts me! MAY be the truth slapping across my face, 'THAT age can NEVER EVER BE BROUGHT BACK'

:( :) :) :) :(

Querida
6th March 2006, 07:26 AM
Awwww Shakti your post was very sweet and touching...

Hey Pooja i use to collect alot of the same things: pencils, stickers, pictures for my scrapbook, all the cards, gifts i got from friends, small jewelry boxes, nail polish

here most popular item for gurls to collect is SHOES and second is Handbags! I always have my backpack so actually feel free when i don't have to carry something with me...that and I'm forgetful...but some are sooo pretty, Lucky Shakti! :D

i use to collect bubblegum comics like mad...if you got 200 you could get a beach ball...each piece was 5cents and my mom would so know i bought some cause i always chose cinnamon and that would mean i would avoid the spicy curries that day :P I remember collecting up to 100 and then giving it to friend (who also had 100) so she could get the beach ball :D

Wow i wish i could have such artistic skill...atleast one artsy thing i made that i could be proud of....Alan the peacock picture must have looked gorgeous!

The one thing i always want to collect is more friends (lock them all up in my closet :twisted: ) :lol: kidding!

Alan
6th March 2006, 10:51 AM
collecting memories......... remind me.....

Sometimes with the bahana of sitting up late for studies or to do some work, I STAY LATE NIGHT and read, browse etc. I watch tv very occassionally and LATE NIGHT is my fav time to watch. (no sound or external factors to disturb me)

I watch tamil hindi songs which packs me with my school, college or home-town memories.

A surge of emotions fills up, keep rising in my throat, unkwnon weird emotion. These emotions are NEITHER SAD, NOR HAPPY. Its... unexplainable.

Memories follow intermittently. The song, PPL along with it, comments, laughs, cries, words spoken. Connected town, ppl, institutions, schools, trees bus stand, other friends............

NEVER ENDING MOVIE.

it hurts at times :(. Def its not a sad memory. Yet I am not sure as to what hurts me! MAY be the truth slapping across my face, 'THAT age can NEVER EVER BE BROUGHT BACK'

:( :) :) :) :(

Yes, I understand what you feel- a mixture of emotions, right? :) I used to feel them too, long back , not now.

Shakthiprabha.
6th March 2006, 01:39 PM
alan, how did u get over it?

querida, interesting! :)

I remember collecting peacock feathers. I USED TO LOVE TAKING A PEEP AT THEM every now and then into my notebook.

Longer the feather, you can yap about it proudly :D

Shekhar
6th March 2006, 05:11 PM
Collecting???

I want to get rid of my collections over years and lessen the burden of albatrosses around my neck.. :(

Alan
6th March 2006, 08:12 PM
alan, how did u get over it?

hmmmm.......there was a point of time when I lost all emotions.yeah, I just became a piece of wood, devoid of all human emotions- that was when I lost my best friend in a bike accident last year.....prefer not to talk of it anymore

Alan
6th March 2006, 08:14 PM
I remember collecting peacock feathers. I USED TO LOVE TAKING A PEEP AT THEM every now and then into my notebook.

Isn't there a belief among children that the peacock feathers give birth to younger ones? :D

Shakthiprabha.
6th March 2006, 11:33 PM
sorry alan :(

yeah... we did believe IT WOULD GIVE BIRTH TO YOUNGER FEATHERS.

my god INNOCENCE IS BLISSSS :D :D :D

Sanguine Sridhar
7th March 2006, 07:14 AM
When i was in school i collected Stamps,Bus tickets,Maho lacto wrappers(For which they gave bunny teeth :lol: ) .. during college days girl firends ;)

great
7th March 2006, 08:12 AM
When i was in school i collected Stamps,Bus tickets,Maho lacto wrappers(For which they gave bunny teeth :lol: ) .. during college days girl firends ;)

appadinna ippa :?

RP
7th March 2006, 09:28 AM

Today's happy together times, are tomorrow's warm with memory times. :D

RP
7th March 2006, 09:38 AM
I still have some of the leaves pressed between the pages of old books..........books well read are something I hate to part with ......but new editions and lack of space are the VILLIANS :twisted:

Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counsellors, and the most patient of teachers." - Charles W. Eliot.

Shakthiprabha.
7th March 2006, 01:47 PM
true rp :)

Alan
8th March 2006, 08:59 PM
An aunt of mine is a great Doll collector- she has everything from Russian Dolls ( you know the doll-in-anotherdoll thing) to Rajathani Puppets. Barbies to Porcelain dolls. Kathakali figurines to crystal dolls! :) :)

Querida
9th March 2006, 12:14 AM
I have one of those russian dolls..my cousin-brother saved a set for me :D as for dolls well I never liked them...even barbies...i know i got some and i gave them away before the year was over...and to tell you the truth those life-like dolls give me the creeps! But you have to admire your aunt for having such a vast collection...does she also have those indian dolls (are those the kathakali ones?) that shake their heads side to side?

Alan
9th March 2006, 08:55 AM
Anything that's even remotely human is a 'doll' to her- she's got a pair of old man & woman who sit & shake their heads- is that one u were referiing? Yes, its Indian. She's also got ragdolls, golliwogs & wooden dolls!!!!

RP
9th March 2006, 10:18 PM
Anything that's even remotely human is a 'doll' to her- she's got a pair of old man & woman who sit & shake their heads- is that one u were referiing? Yes, its Indian. She's also got ragdolls, golliwogs & wooden dolls!!!!

Speaking about Dolls ...I remember the dolls when we were kids.......the ones that would shut their eyes on lying down and open on standing..............Now dolls have not just modern clothes but gadgets.accesories............wow 8-)

NM
10th March 2006, 03:20 AM

Isn't there a belief among children that the peacock feathers give birth to younger ones? :Dtalking abt giving birth, i remember in my primary school days, we used to collect a type of leave (thick with curvy edges) and keep these in our books. You can actually watch it 'growing' - that is, slowly you can see 'white root-like' starnds growing on the edges..can't remember what we did after that. And yes, whenever we manage to get hold of peacock feathers, these go into the books as well..to check if it really gives birth :D

Then, came the stamp collecting craze....had so many albums fileld with stamps! And then, in later years, coin collecting became my fav. Now....as RP said..just collecting memories... :wink:

Alan
10th March 2006, 05:08 PM
Those good old days, huh, NM?

Arthi
10th March 2006, 05:44 PM
Sadly i've never bought or worn glass bangles coz my knuckles aer very broad and i am pretty thin ...if i take a size that slips into my hand , then it will look huge on me ...if i take a size that looks fine for my hand then it won't even go into my hand and they break ..

i always wear bracelets or metal bangles ..

actually i am not a girly type and dunt wear much jewelery except on occasions (my mom hates this .. she expects me to wear ear rings and chain and pottu all the time ..... even bangles too ... but that ..she lets me off .... but i am rarely with all these on ..)

Same pinch Pooja, Whatever u said, exactly it goes with me also :D

Arthi
10th March 2006, 05:48 PM
I collect books.
Especially philosophical, spritual books like Bhagavatham, Ramayana, Mahabharatha & Biographies like Ramakrishna Paramahamsar...

I like MS Udhaya moorthi books.
I want to set up a library @ my home :D

Shakthiprabha.
10th March 2006, 11:35 PM
Ive never ever been intersted in dolls :roll:

(right from childhood :)..)

Querida
10th March 2006, 11:58 PM

SP you are my new kindred spirit friend! :wave:

Shakthiprabha.
11th March 2006, 12:10 AM
:rotfl:

wow querida thx.
finally someone akin bumps into me :thumbsup:

would write bout some doll stuffs (which i actually never even held more than 5 mins ) tommorrow :D

sleep time :wave:

Querida
11th March 2006, 10:49 AM
I can't believe i'm a collector of something as we speak and I totally forgot about it...and no it's not dust! :P I collect pictures of radhakrishna...I have quite a few all of them on my computer for now...I don't know why they appeal to me even though I'm really not that religious...or know any of the stories behind it...

pavalamani pragasam
11th March 2006, 12:29 PM
:)

Shakthiprabha.
11th March 2006, 01:59 PM
pp maam :roll: :| :P

pavalamani pragasam
11th March 2006, 03:09 PM
SP, do you remember my warning about young hubbers underestimating us "oldies"? :lol:

Shakthiprabha.
11th March 2006, 08:27 PM
PP maam,

I really had a hearty laugh at ur humourous post :D

Yes, like the conversation we had the other day, you have proven that u are right pp maam :D :wink:

I recollect a mesh art work collected by my dad (radha-krishna) in a very obsorbed posture. Such dolls reminds me of temple statues too :)

Comin back to the topic,

anybody had the habit of collecting shells? I had lots of colourful shells, which later I gave it off to some person (not even known much) who wanted it :)

Some posessions are memorable.
Some memories are posessions. :)

:thumbsup:

rajraj
11th March 2006, 08:32 PM

Shakthi: If you are a doll yourself, why would you need other dolls? :lol: :lol:

Shakthiprabha.
11th March 2006, 08:34 PM

Shakthi: If you are a doll yourself, why would you need other dolls? :lol: :lol:

Raj,

:D :oops: :D :)

Alan
11th March 2006, 09:08 PM
PP maam,

I recollect a mesh art work collected by my dad (radha-krishna) in a very obsorbed posture. Such dolls reminds me of temple statues too :)

Can you explain, mam? What's mesh art? And did your father do it himself? Mymy!!! He must've been a great artist!

Shakthiprabha.
11th March 2006, 09:48 PM
We get such work in paper mesh alan. I remeber having one radha-krishna paper mesh work. It faded away after a long time. (to be thrown out when I was in my coll)

IT was GIFTED to him from his company colleagues when he shifted job.

pavalamani pragasam
11th March 2006, 09:49 PM
SP, I am a real child in my enthusiasm in collecting shells in any seashore I visit! My family members have a good laugh at my habit of bringing home pebbles from our picnics to any riverbank! Now in Mumbai, during my daily walk in the nearby joggers' park I collect bright red "kunni muththu"!!! My dil is highly amused. I've told her I 'll share the "treasure" with my cosister & get ideas from her about doing some artistic pictures using glue! Have you ever met a crazier person? :lol:

Lambretta
11th March 2006, 10:00 PM
anybody had the habit of collecting shells? I had lots of colourful shells, which later I gave it off to some person (not even known much) who wanted it :)
Well....I did hav this hobby, yrs ago....but for a VERY short time.......maybe cos I've lived most of my life in non-coastal aeras! :huh:
So I'd get a chance only wen we visited places like Madras, Vizag etc...:D
But ironically now, even tho I live jus opp. the sea here in Vizag, I don't feel like going down to the beach & looking for shells (its a diff. issue tat the beach here is presently usually littered w/ stuff other than shells!)......
Around 4-5 yrs ago on a visit to Madras we visited an uncle of mine (mom's Perippa's son) who lived in ther old house then.....while 'browsing' thru the house I hap'd to find a huge collection of shells in an old cupboard in ther storeroom!
They seemed to be of many varities, I cudn't see them much in detail as the room was dark/dingy......I guess these wer my uncle's daughters' collection.....!
But I did 'steal' a few from there! :wink: :lol:
Only to eventually lose them.......! :(

Some posessions are memorable.
Some memories are posessions. :)
Tats wondrafuL I say! :clap: :D

Querida
11th March 2006, 11:10 PM
Radha-Krishna is a SYMBOL of LOVE( firmly based on LUST) :lol: The erotic poses of the pair are always ravishing :lol:

Well Madame PP mission accomplished...it sure shocked me but it also kinda stung :( cause yeah none of the pictures I have are like that...I just think they look so idyllic and in-love side by side...hopefully you'll spear your humour not only at my expense :P

Shakthiprabha.
11th March 2006, 11:15 PM
pp maam,

I do understand what fun it is to collect shells. I had a lil collection (collected over time,during my college picnic, or family outing to seashore). Its great to watch the colorful ones esp also queer shaped cute ones.

I never had an idea of making any artistic piece out of it. Guess was too lazy.

No u are not crazy. I suppose u are one enthu lady, with bubbly interests :)

lambretta,

Great to know u stole some collections :D . I actually did not steal......... BUT TRADED a cheap stamp with a costly or rare one (cheated :D :oops: ) iwth my friend.

interesting to recollect back. :)

Lambretta
11th March 2006, 11:21 PM
lambretta,

Great to know u stole some collections :D . I actually did not steal......... BUT TRADED a cheap stamp with a costly or rare one (cheated :D :oops: ) iwth my friend.
Um..SP, it was the bunch of shells tat I 'stole'......not stamps; rather those were stolen from me! :( :cry:

pavalamani pragasam
12th March 2006, 08:56 AM
SP, as I grow older I find myself finding better adapted to my grandchildren's likes, dislikes, favourite pastimes, fancies more than to the hard realities of the practical adult world :wink: An added responsibility to my dils :lol:

rajraj
12th March 2006, 10:06 AM
Q,pp:

http://www.lotussculpture.com/4b54krishna.htm

:lol:

pavalamani pragasam
12th March 2006, 12:17 PM
:D

Alan
12th March 2006, 12:51 PM
Wow!!!!!!!!!!!!! The statue is BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!!!!!!!!

pooja.shankar
12th March 2006, 03:34 PM
..what statue ..

Querida
13th March 2006, 03:40 AM
..what statue ..

the link pooja..check the link :P
Ummm yeah nice, I sure am for more idealized pics....atleast let pics be idealized seeing life is the farthest from anything ideal.

pavalamani pragasam
13th March 2006, 08:02 AM
:roll:

Querida
13th March 2006, 08:35 AM
:lol: well not in its original sense! :P

Here besides stamps I've seen that cards are the thing that alot of people collect: baseball, hockey, cartoon cards (pokemon, U-gi-Oh, sailor moon etc.) someone had a good $$$-making deal when they made one card have more levels of "power" than another :roll: :P

Lambretta
13th March 2006, 08:57 AM
:lol: Paaji, I thot 'sexy' is more fitting word for this (honestly!), yaara! :wink: :D
Looks quite old, tho......

pooja.shankar
13th March 2006, 09:54 AM
what is "Paaji" lamby ?

Alan
13th March 2006, 05:25 PM
:lol: Paaji, I thot 'sexy' is more fitting word for this (honestly!), yaara! :wink: :D
Looks quite old, tho......

Lol! But Lamby, the antiquity , ethnicity & the myth behind is all very mind capturing- a wistful longingness surrounds you- the mysterious love of Radha & Krishna- I've always wondered why it is so- Though the official wives of Krishna are Sathybama & Rukmini and the supposedly 160008 extra wives- why is it that their love is supposed to be the purest, most sacre etc?

I've asked many Hindu friends but no body knows an exact answer. I was also told that Radha is elder than Krishna, is this so? If they were childhood friends, why didn't they get married?

Lambretta
13th March 2006, 06:30 PM
what is "Paaji" lamby ?
Well, its just wat Punjabi men r addressed as, usually by those who r younger than them I think.....if I'm wrong abt this I'm sure Alan wud be able to provide a better explan. being Punjabi himself......! :)

Lambretta
13th March 2006, 06:41 PM
Lol! But Lamby, the antiquity , ethnicity & the myth behind is all very mind capturing- a wistful longingness surrounds you-
Hmm.....yea actually I was in a hurry in the morn. to post more abt this- more than the 'obvious' aspect its the antiquity tat made me curious......how old wud this statue be I womder.....I didnt find it mentioned newhere in the site.......& wher wud they hav (legally?) got it from? Hmm.........:?

I've always wondered why it is so- Though the official wives of Krishna are Sathybama & Rukmini and the supposedly 160008 extra wives- why is it that their love is supposed to be the purest, most sacre etc?
Well, this is sumthin even I sumtimes wonder abt.......maybe bcos it was ther first love? I find it so even in my case, I first bought a Lambretta (actually Vijai Super!) last year, learnt scooter driving on it, was my only means of transport until I've jus bought a 2nd hand Bajaj Super (more bcos I had to rather than wanted to!), but I dont wan2 part w/ my Lambretta/Vijai (as yet!)........its like I consider tat scooter the most 'special' one & I guess I wud keep it even if I went on buying other 'newer' scooters (one after another I mean!) in future.......? :huh: :lol: :D

I was also told that Radha is elder than Krishna, is this so?
Yes this is wat even I've read.....

RP
13th March 2006, 07:42 PM
Q,pp:

http://www.lotussculpture.com/4b54krishna.htm

Great statue.....!!

Querida
13th March 2006, 11:39 PM
I've always wondered why it is so- Though the official wives of Krishna are Sathybama & Rukmini and the supposedly 160008 extra wives- why is it that their love is supposed to be the purest, most sacre etc?

Uhhhhhhh whoa! Really...hmmmm I see I was ignorant to see this from a one love forever perspective :shock: I didn't know that...that's sad....

ssanjinika
14th March 2006, 03:18 AM
I used to collect shells in fact one of my fondest memories is walking on sea shore with my mom looking for shells (We lived in thiruvanmiyur near sea :sigh:).Once I started working though didnt have time for that anymore :( and now after marriage too busy for things like that.
Now the things I collect are books esp comics like calvin and hobbes,Asterix and Tintin and leather bound editions of classics english works.
I also collect tamil,hindi and english movie DVDs/VCDs.Im particularly fond of old movies as many of you already know :oops: :P
Another thing I "collect" is a common thing among women...shoes :P.I love shoes..have so many different types :D
Q - my mom collects ganesha statues.She has some made of semi precious and precious stones and terracotta.She even has one which is only 1or 2 cm in height :).

Querida
14th March 2006, 07:09 AM
Q - my mom collects ganesha statues.She has some made of semi precious and precious stones and terracotta.She even has one which is only 1or 2 cm in height .

That's nice! :D I got this one uncle who does the same thing cause it's his namesake he has many different kinds...did you ever get that forward with all the different drawings of Ganesh...even in leaf formation? I will try to find it for you if you haven't yet seen it. I was kinda hoping that I could get a scanner and print each of the pics off that I have and frame them....maybe I will include a link to show all the 'filched' pics...

Alan
14th March 2006, 08:10 AM
ell yes, I have got that e-mail- wonderful Ganesh pictures! My sis has taken the print outs of each one to do Glass Paintings! It was amazing how she did the leaf one on glass- she used 3 shades of green for that effect!

Alan
14th March 2006, 08:14 AM

Uhhhhhhh whoa! Really...hmmmm I see I was ignorant to see this from a one love forever perspective :shock: I didn't know that...that's sad....

Ignorant? You mean, you didn't know that Krishna had other wives?

Lambretta
14th March 2006, 09:02 AM
(We lived in thiruvanmiyur near sea :sigh:).
*DIGR* Was this b4 ur folks had the Herald btw? :P :) Wat fun to drive it by the beach....:sigh:

Im particularly fond of old movies as many of you already know :oops: :P
Y the :oops: :P icons for tat?? & ur not the only one either! :D

Another thing I "collect" is a common thing among women...shoes :P.I love shoes..have so many different types :D
Say, do u also hav the '70s platform shoes?? Sum of those even had flowers designs/motiffs on the sides of the 'platform'......:lol:

Querida
14th March 2006, 09:12 AM
Ignorant? You mean, you didn't know that Krishna had other wives?

yeah.... :oops: well i know of the milkmaids kinda but thought Krishna only loved Radha....hardcore monogamist or just a die-hard romantic i guess :roll:

Say, do u also hav the '70s platform shoes?? Sum of those even had flowers designs/motiffs on the sides of the 'platform'......

I saw ones with water in them and floating sparkles....got any spiked heels? I can't wear heels at all :?

Anoushka
14th March 2006, 03:11 PM
I collect coins/notes from the different countries that I travel to, I also collect stamps, souvenirs and fridge magnets... from different countries!

Sanguine Sridhar
14th March 2006, 04:01 PM
I collect coins/notes from the different countries that I travel to, I also collect stamps, souvenirs and fridge magnets... from different countries!
So Magentism of fridge magents also differs from country to country?

Anoushka
14th March 2006, 04:11 PM
Sridhar: Each of my magnets have a country name and an image of the speciality of the country, like I have a camel from Morroco, a beach from Cyprus, the shape of Australia from Australia, a toy of Sherlock holmes from London, Eiffel Tower from Paris, etc! :D

ssanjinika
14th March 2006, 08:26 PM
Q- Yes I did get that but unfortunately I seem to have corrupted the file.Would love to have it again if you can fwd it to me.

Alan - What a superb idea.I do glass painting and will def use one of those ganeshas as a model.

Lamby - Yup ..we've always lived in thiruvanmiyur - adyar areas..so we did have the herald then :lol:
Platforms from 70s?? unfortunately dont have those obvious reason being I wasnt born until it was almost the 80s :lol:
Anyways I dont just collect shoes for display..if I cant wear them then I throw it off..so unless its wearable and in fashion I wouldnt have that model :).

Alan
14th March 2006, 08:28 PM
Wow! Anoushka, you have been to all these places? Is your hubby a hardcore travel enthusiast like you? :D

ssanjinika
14th March 2006, 08:28 PM
I collect fridge magnets too..but dont think of it as a collection :) rather I just think of it as a momento of the places we've visited.So it didnt strike my mind when we were speaking of collections :)

Lambretta
14th March 2006, 08:52 PM
Platforms from 70s?? unfortunately dont have those obvious reason being I wasnt born until it was almost the 80s :lol:
Hmm.....well, even I was born at the end of the '70s, in fact into the '80s already! Still, sumhow I'm fascinated by things tat r '60s & '70s-istic! :huh: :lol:
Neways, one of my mom's colleagues wears platform shoes (altho NOT old '70s ones! :D) bcos of her height, she wants to look taller....
Aside, I think they can be an excellent defence weapon for ladies, esp. if ur travelling in crowded buses......u know wat I mean! :)

I collect fridge magnets too..but dont think of it as a collection :) rather I just think of it as a momento of the places we've visited.So it didnt strike my mind when we were speaking of collections :)
I liked collecting them too wen I was in Singapore, wher I'd go on buying fridge/wardrobe magnets! :lol:
I hav mostly of Singapore, made of hard plastic, soft plastic & even wood......
'not tat much enthu'd abt them now.......altho ther r sum magnets tat I'd jus LOVE to hav now......like this one :):
http://www.hrdkiosk.com/polyester-fabric/14413518.html

Pity they wud turn out to be a bit too expensive..! :(

Alan
15th March 2006, 06:24 PM
A cute one there, Lamby!

Anoushka
15th March 2006, 06:49 PM
Wow! Anoushka, you have been to all these places? Is your hubby a hardcore travel enthusiast like you? :D

Alan,

both my hubby and myself love travel... I haven't gone to all those places mentioned in my post above but I've gone to all the countries in UK (Britain, Wales, Scotland & Northern Ireland), Germany, Swiss, Austria, Luxembourg, Belgium, Netherlands, Norway,Denmark, Sweeden, Spain, Portugal, France, Hungary, Dubai, Singapore, Malaysia and Bahrain... (23 Countries including India & Ireland) :) And I've travelled all over India as well! :) My parents love travel too....

btw, I heard you were in Kochi naval base, I used to have friends there, I've been there quite a few times myself ... about 18 years ago!

Lambretta
15th March 2006, 07:10 PM
A cute one there, Lamby!
Yea Paaji, it sure is....! :)

*DIGR*
Btw, Anoushka, sory cant help asking- u wer transferred to Kochi from Madras rite? So where was it tat ur folks had the Herald/Lamby & later the 'old' Fiat?? :D
If u feel this is gona digress to much u can pm me! :)

Btw, neone collect old ads/campaign posters?? I jus found a few related to nutrition dating to the late '70s in an old folder tat belonged to my dad! Still in good condition (both the folder & the posters!) :D
Also had sum ads of the 'new' Ambassador Mark 4 & 4 different models of lorries/buses of Ashok Leyland found in a Sept. 79 issue of Readers Digest many yrs ago.....but they got misplaced during a houseshift.....! :(

Anoushka
15th March 2006, 08:55 PM
*DIGR*
Lamby, my parents had a lamby in early 1970's in Chennai and then upgraded (???) to Bajaj Chetak in 80's. They also had the Herald in late 70's which was upgraded to Old Fiat in 80's. The Herald was sold in Madras, the Lamby was given to my uncle and which then later died a sad death in Madras!

The Old Fiat was bought in Bombay from my uncle, stayed in Madras for a couple of years before moving to Kochi where it got sold.

At some stage we had both our ambassador and Old Fiat. :)

Lambretta
15th March 2006, 09:06 PM
*DIGR
Many tks for the reply (& ur patience!), Anou! :D
Hmm......sounds like u were lucky u had relatives who had old cars as well! :)
Also glad to know ur 'amnesia' hasnt made u forget these memories! :wink:
Neways, better put the brakes here b4 Alan gets wild! :lol:
/DIGR

OK now, reverting to topic in qsn., as I asked, neone hwo happens/ed to collect old ads cut out from magazines/papers or campaign posters? :)

Alan
15th March 2006, 09:24 PM
I used to collect interesting newspaper articles as a school student- ones like 2 headed goat, etc but then gave up after a while!

Lambretta
15th March 2006, 09:36 PM
Tats interesting to hear Alan! :)
But I guess its much too difficult to preserve newspaper & old mag. cuttings as the paper tends to deteriorate evn faster comp'd w/ posters....

Sanguine Sridhar
16th March 2006, 08:50 AM
When i was around 13 i used to collect interesting articles from Newspapers and magazines and i used to paste those things in a seperate notebook...I was doing that for around one month or so.One day i opened that note, all pages in that note got loosened.I got highly irritated :evil: and i looked at my brother who was sitting next to me,he gave me a :roll: look.I asked him who did that.He said he dont know.I went and complained my amma.Amma said that my brother tore the paper from my notebook without looking at the content.I went to him and tore the entire notebook into pieces and threw it on him.The worst part was even that time my brother kept his face :roll: ....... :lol:

dev
16th March 2006, 09:13 AM

hi
16th March 2006, 09:47 AM
.I went to him and tore the entire notebook into pieces and threw it on him.The worst part was even that time my brother kept his face :roll: ....... :lol:

Arthi
16th March 2006, 10:50 AM
I still have the habit of collecting articles from mazagines & paste that in a separate note books.

I collect "SPEAKING TREE" from The Times of India, its all about spirituality... I cherish these articles, whenever i get time... I keep a softcopy, bcoz paper detoriates very fast and one more thing we can share such articles with our friends

Alan
16th March 2006, 06:35 PM
Tats interesting to hear Alan! :)
But I guess its much too difficult to preserve newspaper & old mag. cuttings as the paper tends to deteriorate evn faster comp'd w/ posters....

Yeah & those used to catch all the dust in the world because I used to keep them under the bed& I developed an allergy........so my mom threw them all out & burnt them! lol! :lol:

uncle tex
31st March 2006, 04:52 PM
I collect old British and American comics and comic annuals from the 1940's and 1950's. Also toy figures- animals, soldiers, cowboys, knights in armour etc. plastic as well as lead from the same period.

Alan
2nd April 2006, 11:33 PM
Oh that reminds me, we had a guy in College who was obsessed with TinTin Comics!

Querida
3rd April 2006, 01:22 AM
I'm don't collect as much as I avidly read comics such as Calvin & Hobbes, Opus, Garfield (sick of it now), The Far Side, Dilbert...I use to read MAD magazine quite devotedly as well...my brother has quite a collection of illustrated comics...spiderman and spawn mostly

Surya
4th April 2006, 04:49 AM
Archies and Tintin! :thumbsup: Tintin Rocks My Socks!! I've read every single one! :thumbsup: When I was in India last week, I bought a whole set of Tintin Cartoon VCDs @ Giri Traders, Opposite of the Mylapore Kabaleeshwarar Temple. So yeah, it's not just the Comics. :P

Lambretta
4th April 2006, 09:25 AM
Hey Machi!! How u doing?? :D
Nice to see u back again........so, had a nice time in India?
Say, u said u wer going only for like, 2 weeks but u seem to've taken longer than tat?
Last week huh? I was in Madras last weekend.....:)
Neways, reg. comics, I used to hav a large collection of 'Champak' & Tinkle comics until I grew out of my teens! I dont know wher they all r now.....!

ssanjinika
4th April 2006, 07:49 PM
Archies and Tintin! :thumbsup: Tintin Rocks My Socks!! I've read every single one! :thumbsup: When I was in India last week, I bought a whole set of Tintin Cartoon VCDs @ Giri Traders, Opposite of the Mylapore Kabaleeshwarar Temple. So yeah, it's not just the Comics. :P

Well..wow that!! I thought I was the only "TinTin-Asterix" crazy here.I just completed my collection of Tintin and asterix comics.Fancy meeting another Tintaholic here :)

Lambretta
4th April 2006, 09:02 PM
Well..wow that!! I thought I was the only "TinTin-Asterix" crazy here.I just completed my collection of Tintin and asterix comics.Fancy meeting another Tintaholic here :)
Well, I admit even I was very much fascinated by Tintin at one point- but more by watching his cartoon on TV (cartoon network, no longer watch it now! :)) rather than reading the comics! :P
Btw, SS, if u really r a Tintaholic as u claim, u surely wud've come across this familiar car featured in one of his comics (I jus found this pic. by google, no idea wich of Tintin comics its from & its in French!):

http://mapage.noos.fr/dardelf3/tintin/Herald.jpg

:lol: :D

Alan
7th April 2006, 03:07 PM
Now that her vacation has begun, my lil neice is collecting & pasting interestng news & pics in a scrap book! I used to do that long ago!

ssanjinika
7th April 2006, 07:35 PM
Btw, SS, if u really r a Tintaholic as u claim, u surely wud've come across this familiar car featured in one of his comics (I jus found this pic. by google, no idea wich of Tintin comics its from & its in French!):

http://mapage.noos.fr/dardelf3/tintin/Herald.jpg

:lol: :D
Well...I think its from black island..though am not sure.I will check it out for u over this weekend.My books are still packed away..the move u see :( .We gotto get a huge bookshelf to hold all the books.Threw away the old one since ..well my husband suddenly decided that he didnt like it anymore :evil: .Hoping to do that this weekend and hence the delay in checking it out.Will def let u know for sure by next monday :D

Lambretta
7th April 2006, 08:32 PM
SS, relax! I wasnt curious to know wat comic of Tintin its from....jus wanted to show u the pic. of tat car (u know y!) in one of the comics! :D
Neways...happy moving! 'hope it wont keep u away from here for too long! :)

Raikkonen
7th April 2006, 08:33 PM
Ippataikku....
Parents oda vayiterichalai than settukittu varen

Lambretta
7th April 2006, 08:39 PM
Ippataikku....
Parents oda vayiterichalai than settukittu varen
Oho, neengalum-aa?? :lol: :oops:

Raikkonen
7th April 2006, 08:39 PM
Angayum athe case ah?

Lambretta
7th April 2006, 09:24 PM
Angayum athe case ah?
Ama! :(

NM
13th April 2006, 07:14 AM
Oh! forgot..i used to collect bird feathers too...from clourful ones to the dull brown ones.
Then, one day, the teacher asked us to do a collaage and i made one of a bird with all the beautiful feathers i collected over the years :D
Even now, whenever i go for a walk, if I see a beautiful feather, i just pick it up, feel it and keep it.. :D

Surya
13th April 2006, 07:22 AM
Tintin Stuff....Comics, T-shirts, VCDs, etc.

crazy
16th April 2006, 07:38 PM
i collect memories & friends & punniyams(GOD thats so hard collecting them) :)

Sanguine Sridhar
16th April 2006, 07:40 PM

:lol: :lol:

crazy
16th April 2006, 07:42 PM

:lol: :lol:

adhenna naan enga enna sonnalum sirikiraanga?

ah solla marandhudhen
i also collect paavams!

Sanguine Sridhar
16th April 2006, 07:44 PM
Crazy!! "Punniyams" &"Paavams" are wonderful things to collect..Better the ratio be 60:40 or atleast 50:50 Illana "Naragam" thaan!!!

crazy
16th April 2006, 07:46 PM
Crazy!! "Punniyams" &"Paavams" are wonderful things to collect..Better the ratio be 60:40 or atleast 50:50 Illana "Naragam" thaan!!!

i am already in naragam, idhula innoru naragama. adhuvera illam enakku naragam fixed!

Sanguine Sridhar
16th April 2006, 07:49 PM

i am already in naragam, idhula innoru naragama. Andhava kaappadhu!

I hope that is 'Aandava Kaapathu!'.. Why Norway is not that hell right??

crazy
16th April 2006, 07:52 PM
no no norway is hell for me! and even world itself is hell!
(anyway dont take my words serious)
i hope i can see heaven, even though i have no permission there.

Hulkster
18th April 2006, 09:35 AM
Is collecting dust accepted? I dunt have any other collection besides that :D

Alan
18th April 2006, 12:56 PM
not only dust, even rust is collected over the years, Hulkster! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Hulkster
18th April 2006, 01:40 PM
That justifies my collection then! :lol:

phil
21st April 2006, 08:11 AM
That justifies my collection then! :lol:
:D what kind of collection is that. I am allergic towards dust.
What is special about dust :?: as it is of common importance to both of us now :lol:

chevy
11th November 2006, 09:47 AM
i collect memories

bulb_mani
11th November 2006, 02:49 PM
chevy u can only recollect memories and cannot collect them :wink:

I collect E-Books :twisted:

Alan
11th November 2006, 02:56 PM
Your user name is really cute, bulb_mani!!!

chevy
11th November 2006, 02:57 PM
hehe .. lol@mani

bulb_mani
11th November 2006, 04:49 PM
Your user name is really cute, bulb_mani!!!

Thanks Alan :lol:

Braandan
23rd November 2006, 12:18 PM
During Daylight Savings period I collect all the daylight I save and put in a special bank account.

Wibha
23rd November 2006, 12:30 PM
i collect all da junk possible......

chocolate wrappers.....(if chocolate is bought by my friend)
gift wrappers

sachin,ARR,and all da people i like deir fotos,newspaper articles.etc

a signature on a paper by my favorite teacher

gift boxes

greeting covers

papers which i've scored well or bad.......

notes passed by frnds in between classes

friendship bands

pen caps...........

pencil erasers.....

worn out paint brush

silly drawings

notebuks

and many more............

VENKIRAJA
11th December 2006, 08:14 PM
coins(41 nations)in 2003
stamps(5000)in 2004