PDA

View Full Version : Break ur fast with variety

Shakthiprabha.
4th March 2006, 01:48 PM
I know IDLI is the best.

Next comes sandwich, dosa, upma(varieties of upma), paniyaaram, pongal etc

We even manage to make adai, chappati, poori(though these are not advisable for BREAKFAST, Since it sits in our tummy for a long time there by stopping us from being brisk)

Can someone else POST

VARIETIES of breakfast?

Any simple, non-oily, tasty, modern/traditional recpies?

dev
4th March 2006, 02:08 PM
SP,

Adai & Chapathi are as good for breakfast & they are wholesome as they are made from whole grains... Only thing is that one needs to take it in moderation with a light sidedish...U can make chapathi rolls with stir fried veggies in it...

You can try macroni, pasta,spaghetti & stuffs like that with lots of veggies... you can get organic,wholegrain varieties in these... U can make diff varieties of base(sauce) for these...like the usual tomato sauce, pesto sauce etc... Pesto sauce is my fav with lots of greens in it... Just google & U'll find lots of recipes...U can modify(like reducing the fats used, ingredient modis etc) them to ur taste...

Alan
4th March 2006, 02:32 PM
When my friend's mom invited me for breakfast one morning, she had made "Appam & Potato Stew"- It was yummy & oilfree(made in a non-stick Appam pan)
I also like Noolappam & Kuruma /stew for breakfast although making it is a tough job- you have to squeeze & squeeze the batter into the steamer.

Oothappam with lots of veggies ( chopped onions, tomatoes, carrots, grated coconut, corrianderleaves& greenchillies ) are delightful breakfast for a lazy Sunday Brunch.

pooja.shankar
4th March 2006, 03:33 PM
When my mom is nto around and i have to cook .. i try something new each time .

ok this is one of them

i call it POOJA POTATO

INGREDIENTS : Boiled , peeled , diced potatoes

, olive oil( for dieters ) or sunflower oil (avoid gingely or coconut oil for cooking this ....coz gingely makes it very oily and heavy and coconut oil gives a unpleasant smell)

spices : pepperoni , paprika , kashmiri chilli powder , salt

(actually doesnt matter ...jus chilli powder and spices tht u like .....take chili powdr , chat masala and pav bhaji masalas ...and the like ..but i used the above..)

GARNISHING chopped cucumbers , mint leaves , parsley leaves

chop finely :Red and green peppers ( or capsicum as we call it ) , black olives, onions , tomatoes,mustard and jeera

METHOD
Mix the diced potatoes with the salt adn spices (and raw chopped onions if u like the crunchy taste ) and keep aside ..... be careful not to mash the potatoes

Saute jeera , mustard in oil and add olives and peppers ,

once the capsicum is cooked and add thespiced potatoes , mix and take it off the stove

turn into a serving bowl and add tomatoes ( dunt dunt add tomatoes and cook it along ..coz it already spicy ..)...
toss it lightly ..... garnish with parsley , mint and cucumbers

SERVING SUGGESTIONS : Eat pooja potatoes with potato chips and curd

or khuboos or any other bread ...

Eat pooja potatoes ..and report to me ....if u are still alive ! ..(jus kidding .. )

pooja.shankar
4th March 2006, 04:25 PM
ANY ONE READ IT ??????????????? SP MA'AM ?

dev
4th March 2006, 08:28 PM
How abt pancakes...just for a change?... can be served with any homemade jam or sugarfree jam... Or the normal jams if u have a sweet tooth...

RedPepper
5th March 2006, 01:26 AM
How abt pancakes...just for a change?... can be served with any homemade jam or sugarfree jam... Or the normal jams if u have a sweet tooth...
Dev, I eat pancake with any leftover spicy curries from the past day. For me, any chapathi side dishes will work for pancakes too. I don't like syrups or jams. I make strawberry or blueberry sauce by boiling the berries with sugar and a little lemon juice. This will stay in the fridge for a week and my daughter loves this over pancake.

kavithasenthil
5th March 2006, 01:53 AM
i like to eat pancakes with honey. yum yum!

rsankar
5th March 2006, 05:35 AM
You can prepare (Kezhvaraghu ) Kanji

Wheat Dosai made with some wheat flour, rice flour - small amount, Veg., (your choice, like... onion, g. pepper, carrot, spinach, etc.,) and salt.

RedPepper
5th March 2006, 08:00 AM
Sometimes I like oatmeal with a dollop of molasses on top. You may also add raisins and nuts.

pooja.shankar
5th March 2006, 03:52 PM
any 1 tried POOJA POTATOES ?

pooja.shankar
5th March 2006, 03:54 PM
OBVIOUSLY I WUDNT KNOW ..COZ IF U TRIED MAYBE U R IN THE CLINIC RITE NOW ? lol ...

RedPepper
5th March 2006, 09:06 PM
OBVIOUSLY I WUDNT KNOW ..COZ IF U TRIED MAYBE U R IN THE CLINIC RITE NOW ? lol ...

Eat pooja potatoes ..and report to me ....if u are still alive !

If this is the feedback you are giving to it, how can we try it?? (just kidding.)

pooja.shankar
5th March 2006, 09:37 PM
even i am kidding ..come on

sujathakannan
29th March 2006, 01:15 AM
I eat cheerios most of the time with skim milk (and cut strawberries if available.)

ayeshasadique
1st April 2006, 02:54 PM
hi
try this one!! this is what i do on a lazy day

BREAD STIR FRY
oil - 2 tsp
onion - 1 small, sliced
capsicum - 1/2 small, cut into thin strips
cabbage - 1/4 cup shredded
green chilli - 1 , chopped
egg - 1 no., scrambled with 1 tsp milk , salt and pepper
stale bread - 2 slices, cut into small squares
salt
soya sauce - a dash
(optional item --- leftover cooked chicken pieces)

method
just stir fry ...thats all!! :D

Anoushka
22nd April 2006, 03:42 AM
Shakthi: I hardly cook breakfast on a working day, so generally it is only wheatabix with low fat milk five days a week. But the other two days I tend to make different food each time...

A few that I make are

Semiya upma - with plenty of veggies

Rava upma - with plenty of veggies

Aval upma - with peanuts, peas, grated carrots, corriander, mint, etc.

Rava idli / normal idli - either ways I tend to add some corriander, mint, grated carrots, peas, etc to make it healthy and interesting and colourful

Rava dosa / normal dosa - again this will contain corriander, grated carrots, onions

Bread upma - with plenty of veggies

Toasted sandwich (generally brown bread), with cheese, tomato, cucumber, fried onion, capsicum, olives.

Pesarattu - very healthy, even to this I add onions and grated carrots.

Noodles with plenty of veggies - instead of using the powder that they give, try using home made veg soup, that is healthier.

Adai - try adding veggies to that as well

Aapam - I don't make much of this because of the coconut involved

Idiappam - I have this with tomato pachadi and not milk, coconut and sugar for obvious reasons ;)

puttu - make it out of red puttu maavu instead of the white one, it is much more healthier.

Chappati - will go with plenty of veggies, you can even stuff them with veggies or cheese and make it interesting.

Puri - very oily but you can have veggies as a side dish. - I never make this for breakfast because it is too oily to have first thing in the morning! Try adding some ajwain seeds, corriander, etc to puri to make it interesting.

Akki Roti - something that I learnt from my mil. again, I do my own version with grated carrots, etc!

Neer Dosai - too much coconut and too much work!

Tapioca - a break fast I used to love, that goes well with green chilli chutney!

Pongal - make this with plenty of veggies and less ghee

Any payaru / sundal can be soaked the previous night and boiled, seasoned with kadugu, chilli, etc to make it interesting

and there are a whole pile of sabudhana dishes that will go as breakfast as well.

Shakthi: I hope you don't ask for recipes for all this now :lol:

Shakthiprabha.
27th April 2006, 01:30 PM
anou...........

whoa.............. i think i almost know most of what u said except............................... PUTTU AND IDIAPPAM.

Be gracious enough to gimme recipe for these two :D

also akki roti is YUM when done with a kinda kidney beans......

Shakthiprabha.
27th April 2006, 01:33 PM
ANY ONE READ IT ??????????????? SP MA'AM ?

:shock:

sorry pooja, i posted this thread and FORGOT ALL BOUT IT :oops:

ur pooja potatoes seems yum. i need to try out.

Shakthiprabha.
27th April 2006, 01:36 PM
dev, others,

I AM NOT FOND OF spaghetti and macroni.
I DO LOVE PASTA though.

panckes. pasta base etc........ i can just check out in any dpt stores or foodworlds here is it ?