PDA

View Full Version : HINDU RITUALS AND ROUTINES - WHY DO WE FOLLOW THOSE?

Pages : [1] 2

Arthi
6th March 2006, 02:36 PM
Dear all,

we may say that ritualism is only the husk of religion. But without the husk the seed will not grow. When the sower goes out to sow, he takes paddy and not rice. He knows that, if the husk is removed, life goes out of the seed and his sowing will be in vain. Thus ritualism has some vital functions assigned to it in religion.

Shall We discuss about our Hindu Rituals & Why are we following rituals and what is the meaning behind it ???

Arthi
6th March 2006, 02:37 PM
[tscii:8616e1ec27]My First Question & Answer

1. Why do we light a lamp?

In almost every Indian home a lamp is lit daily before the altar of the Lord. In some houses it is lit at dawn, in some, twice a day – at dawn and dusk – and in a few it is maintained continuously (Akhanda Deepa). All auspicious functions commence with the lighting of the lamp, which is often maintained right through the occasion.

Light symbolizes knowledge, and darkness, ignorance. The Lord is the "Knowledge Principle" (Chaitanya) who is the source, the enlivener and the illuminator of all knowledge. Hence light is worshiped as the Lord himself.

Knowledge removes ignorance just as light removes darkness. Also knowledge is a lasting inner wealth by which all outer achievement can be accomplished. Hence we light the lamp to bow down to knowledge as the greatest of all forms of wealth.

Why not light a bulb or tube light? That too would remove darkness. But the traditional oil lamp has a further spiritual significance. The oil or ghee in the lamp symbolizes our vaasanas or negative tendencies and the wick, the ego. When lit by spiritual knowledge, the vaasanas get slowly exhausted and the ego too finally perishes. The flame of a lamp always burns upwards. Similarly we should acquire such knowledge as to take us towards higher ideals.

Whilst lighting the lamp we thus pray:
Deepajyothi parabrahma
Deepa sarva tamopahaha
Deepena saadhyate saram
Sandhyaa deepo namostute

I prostrate to the dawn/dusk lamp; whose light is the Knowledge Principle (the Supreme Lord), which removes the darkness of ignorance and by which all can be achieved in life.
[/tscii:8616e1ec27]

bingleguy
6th March 2006, 02:53 PM
We have a lot rituals which basically are believed to be simply of no use .... but NO .... every ritual has an inner meaning ! Everything is having a scientific background !
U might say, when u ask the meaning of some ritual, your parents are not able to say that ! The meanings of do n donts, rituals are written in Vedas, n one who knows Vedas, would really know the true meaning of all these ....... May be they do not knw, or they might not have asked their elders .....
The current generation are really open minded, would accept anything when their questions are answered ........

Some more to add to your thread !

Why do we Chant AUM or OM ?

Om is one of the most chanted sound symbols in India. It has a profound effect on the body and mind of the one who chants and also on the surroundings. Most mantras and vedic prayers start with Om.

All auspicious actions begin with Om. It is even used as a greeting - Om, Hari Om etc. It is repeated as a mantra or meditated upon. Its form is worshipped, contemplated upon or used as an auspicious sign.

Om is the universal name of the Lord. It is made up of the letters A (phonetically as in "around"), U (phonetically as in "put") and M (phonetically as in "mum"). The sound emerging from the vocal chords starts from the base of the throat as "A". With the coming together of the lips, "U" is formed and when the lips are closed, all sounds end in "M".

The three letters symbolize the three states (waking, dream and deep sleep), the three deities (Brahma, Vishnu and Shiva), the three Vedas (Rig, Yajur and Sama) the three worlds (Bhuh, Bhuvah, Suvah) etc. The Lord is all these and beyond.

The formless, attributeless Lord (Brahman) is represented by the silence between two Om Chants. Om is also called pranava that means, "that (symbol or sound) by which the Lord is praised". The entire essence of the Vedas is enshrined in the word Om. It is said that the Lord started creating the world after chanting Om and atha. Hence its sound is considered to create an auspicious beginning for any task that we undertake. The Om chant should have the resounding sound of a bell ( aaooommm).

Om is written in different ways in different places. The most common form symbolizes Lord Ganesha's. The upper curve is the head; the lower large one, the stomach; the side one, the trunk; and the semi-circular mark with the dot, the sweetmeat ball (modaka) in Lord Ganesha's hand. Thus Om symbolizes everything - the means and the goal of life, the world and the Truth behind it, the material and the Sacred, all form and the Formless.

bingleguy
6th March 2006, 02:53 PM
Good Work n a Good Start

We have a lot rituals which basically are believed to be simply of no use .... but NO .... every ritual has an inner meaning ! Everything is having a scientific background !
U might say, when u ask the meaning of some ritual, your parents are not able to say that ! The meanings of do n donts, rituals are written in Vedas, n one who knows Vedas, would really know the true meaning of all these ....... May be they do not knw, or they might not have asked their elders .....
The current generation are really open minded, would accept anything when their questions are answered ........

Some more to add to your thread !

Why do we Chant AUM or OM ?

Om is one of the most chanted sound symbols in India. It has a profound effect on the body and mind of the one who chants and also on the surroundings. Most mantras and vedic prayers start with Om.

All auspicious actions begin with Om. It is even used as a greeting - Om, Hari Om etc. It is repeated as a mantra or meditated upon. Its form is worshipped, contemplated upon or used as an auspicious sign.

Om is the universal name of the Lord. It is made up of the letters A (phonetically as in "around"), U (phonetically as in "put") and M (phonetically as in "mum"). The sound emerging from the vocal chords starts from the base of the throat as "A". With the coming together of the lips, "U" is formed and when the lips are closed, all sounds end in "M".

The three letters symbolize the three states (waking, dream and deep sleep), the three deities (Brahma, Vishnu and Shiva), the three Vedas (Rig, Yajur and Sama) the three worlds (Bhuh, Bhuvah, Suvah) etc. The Lord is all these and beyond.

The formless, attributeless Lord (Brahman) is represented by the silence between two Om Chants. Om is also called pranava that means, "that (symbol or sound) by which the Lord is praised". The entire essence of the Vedas is enshrined in the word Om. It is said that the Lord started creating the world after chanting Om and atha. Hence its sound is considered to create an auspicious beginning for any task that we undertake. The Om chant should have the resounding sound of a bell ( aaooommm).

Om is written in different ways in different places. The most common form symbolizes Lord Ganesha's. The upper curve is the head; the lower large one, the stomach; the side one, the trunk; and the semi-circular mark with the dot, the sweetmeat ball (modaka) in Lord Ganesha's hand. Thus Om symbolizes everything - the means and the goal of life, the world and the Truth behind it, the material and the Sacred, all form and the Formless.

Arthi
6th March 2006, 03:16 PM
[tscii:c8e20a1dad]Good Explanation bingleguy :clap:

The main Purpose of starting this thread is... I have so many doubts but I know that whatever we are following it has a deep meaning!

I always believe that whatever our ancestors follow we should also follow... am also following how much ever I can but I do not know the meaning...
I have many doubts to ask...
I also belong to current generation only but I never say that I wld accept anything when my questions are answered , becoz I feel when we start asking question which is not answerable by our elders, then we can’t teach anything to our next generation... so follow our rituals when ever you get the opportunity to learn the meaning learn it

[/tscii:c8e20a1dad]

bingleguy
6th March 2006, 03:26 PM
[tscii:3254e6907e]
The main Purpose of starting this thread is... I have so many doubts but I know that whatever we are following it has a deep meaning!
That was a good intention indeed .... Infact some are blessed with grandpas n grandmas who are well versed in Vedas, one is me ! So probably there could be a place where something never goes un-answered ......

I also belong to current generation only but I never say that I wld accept anything when my questions are answered , becoz I feel when we start asking question which is not answerable by our elders, then we can’t teach anything to our next generation.
Well the current generation i meant, are the kids, from 1 - 20 years.... They do the most of questioning these days .... we need to definitely carry some answer to our next gen, that is current gen !

Simply lets not follow rituals ...
Lets understand the meaning of the same n then do it !

Put forth ur questions .......ppl here on this HUB can try answering ur ques .........

[/tscii:3254e6907e]

Arthi
6th March 2006, 03:33 PM
My First Question

Can ladies read Vedas..., some mantras are specifically for Gents only, why it is so?

bingleguy
6th March 2006, 03:57 PM
I also recall reading some recent news articles
about some parts in North-India where 'women priests' conduct
ceremonies such as marriage, upanayana etc.

I think times are indeed changing and there's equal opportunity
education and employment in these areas also.

But as far as I have heard or read, women are forbidden from reciting or reading the vedas including the 'pranava-mantram'. By reading of the puranas and the itihaasas they can attain to the same state or better than their male counterparts. Also they can chant quite a variety of mantras. By merely chanting 'rama-naama' they can achieve moksham.

Sabari or more recently Meera did not read the vedas. All that they
knew were Rama and Krishna and they are held in higher regard than someone who merely studied vedas in their times.

For women, I have heard that their "nitya-agnihotram", is their
cooking chores, their "nitya-karma" is taking care of the needs of
people at home and their "moksha-saadhana" could be reading of the puranas and chanting simple yet invaluable mantras such as the "rama-naama".

In this correspondence so far, there has beeen no direct quote from Vedas itself that lays down an injunction against ladies chanting the Vedas. What we know definitely is only that in the past, our ancestors were following the practice of ladies being Saha-dharmini's only, assisting their husbands in performing the vedic rituals.

There could be any number of reasons for the origin of this injunction against ladies. What we have to consider however, is whether there is any reason now to continue this past practice without reducing the sanctity of the Vedas. Our Dharma follows the healthy principle indicated long afterwards in the following lines of Tennyson in Morte d'Arthur:

Old order changeth, yielding place to new;
And God fulfills himself in many ways -
Lest one good custom should corrupt the world.

Unlike other religions, Sanatana Dharma is a constantly evolving Dharma, much like the perennial and purifying river Ganga, renewing itself constantly and thereby continuing to remain fresh, current and pure. (It is still pure in the upper reaches in the Himalayas, as those who undertake the yatra to Badri will confirm!).

In the past, the custom might have been necessary and good, keeping in view the living conditions which prevailed in those days. So much has changed since then and in such radical ways too. By opting for continuing this old good custom, we might be denying the healthy development of interest in the Vedas and the spreading of vedic teachings in the present times. Many ladies who have excelled in academic persuits and engaged in public service are competent to study Vedic scriptures and contribute their profound thinking on various issues. Why deny the Vedas that we revere the active and dynamic support of 51% of the population and restrict it to Males only many of whom, perhaps, fulfill only the qualification based on gender. We need many more individuals of the caliber of Gargi, Maitreyi and Andal to propogate Vedic teachings in this materialistic-value-centered age and times.

Let us thank our ancestors for not prescribing a rigid, unchangeable constitution in the Vedas and barring the ladies for all times. For, if they had done so, our religion could not be the unique sanatana dharma that it is today -- with strenth and vitality that comes only through the medium of change, enabling more of us to choose and travel on the path to the changeless One.

Arthi
7th March 2006, 09:23 AM
Why do we not touch papers, books and people with the feet?

To Indians, knowledge is sacred and divine. So it must be given respect at all times. Nowadays we separate subjects as sacred and secular. But in ancient India every subject - academic or spiritual - was considered divine and taught by the guru in the gurukula.

The custom of not stepping on educational tools is a frequent reminder of the high position accorded to knowledge in Indian culture. From an early age, this wisdom fosters in us a deep reverence for books and education. This is also the reason why we worship books, vehicles and instruments once a year on Saraswathi Pooja or Ayudha Pooja day, dedicated to the Goddess of Learning. In fact, each day before starting our studies, we pray:

Saraswati namasthubhyam
Varade kaama roopini
Vidyaarambham karishyaami
Sidhirbhavatu me sadaa

O Goddess Saraswati, the giver of
Boons and fulfiller of wishes,
I prostrate to You before
starting my studies.
May you always fulfill me?

Arthi
9th March 2006, 09:16 AM
[tscii:cfde4d1d16]Why do we have a prayer room?

Most Indian homes have a prayer room or altar. A lamp is lit and the Lord worshipped each day. Other spiritual practices like japa (repetition of the Lord’s name), meditation, paaraayana (reading of the scriptures), prayers, and devotional singing etc is also done here. Special worship is done on auspicious occasions like birthdays, anniversaries, festivals and the like. Each member of the family - young or old - communes with and worships the Divine here.

The Lord is the entire creation. He is therefore the true owner of the house we live in too. The prayer room is the Master room of the house. We are the earthly occupants of His property. This notion rids us of false pride and possessiveness.

The ideal attitude to take is to regard the Lord as the true owner of our homes and us as caretakers of His home. But if that is rather difficult, we could at least think of Him as a very welcome guest. Just as we would house an important guest in the best comfort, so too we felicitate the Lord’s presence in our homes by having a prayer room or altar, which is, at all times, kept clean and well-decorated.

Also the Lord is all pervading. To remind us that He resides in our homes with us, we have prayer rooms. Without the grace of the Lord, no task can be successfully or easily accomplished. We invoke His grace by communing with Him in the prayer room each day and on special occasions.

Each room in a house is dedicated to a specific function like the bedroom for resting, the drawing room to receive guests, the kitchen for cooking etc. The furniture, decor and the atmosphere of each room are made conducive to the purpose it serves. So too for the purpose of meditation, worship and prayer, we should have a conducive atmosphere - hence the need for a prayer room.

Sacred thoughts and sound vibrations pervade the place and influence the minds of those who spend time there. Spiritual thoughts and vibrations accumulated through regular meditation, worship and chanting done there pervade the prayer room. Even when we are tired or agitated, by just sitting in the prayer room for a while, we feel calm, rejuvenated and spiritually uplifted.
[/tscii:cfde4d1d16]

bingleguy
9th March 2006, 03:53 PM
Prayer room is a very important thing in every house !

Many ppl who plan their houses today, give importance like a big hall that has all facililties, a nice bed room, kitchen n all those stuffs ... but forget about a prayer room !

This is the only place where u can really find the real meaning of PEACE .....

So friends, please keep some place aside in ur house for a prayer room !

Arthi
10th March 2006, 07:26 PM
[tscii:28ef538dbd]Why do we prostrate before parents and elders?

Indians prostrate before their parents, elders, teachers and noble souls by touching their feet. The elder in turn blesses us by placing his or her hand on or over our heads. Prostration is done daily, when we meet elders and particularly on important occasions like the beginning of a new task, birthdays, festivals etc. In certain traditional circles, prostration is accompanied by abhivaadana, which serves to introduce one-self, announce one’s family and social stature.

Man stands on his feet. Touching the feet in prostration is a sign of respect for the age, maturity, nobility and divinity that our elders personify. It symbolizes our recognition of their selfless love for us and the sacrifices they have done for our welfare. It is a way of humbly acknowledging the greatness of another. This tradition reflects the strong family ties, which has been one of India’s enduring strengths.

The good wishes (Sankalpa) and blessings (aashirvaada) of elders are highly valued in India. We prostrate to seek them. Good thoughts create positive vibrations. Good wishes springing from a heart full of love, divinity and nobility have a tremendous strength. When we prostrate with humility and respect, we invoke the good wishes and blessings of elders, which flow in the form of positive energy to envelop us. This is why the posture assumed whether it is in the standing or prone position, enables the entire body to receive the energy thus received.
The different forms of showing respect are :

Pratuthana - rising to welcome a person.
Namaskaara - paying homage in the form of namaste
Upasangrahan - touching the feet of elders or teachers.
Shaashtaanga - prostrating fully with the feet, knees, stomach, chest, forehead and arms touching the ground in front of the elder.
Pratyabivaadana - returning a greeting.

Rules are prescribed in our scriptures as to who should prostrate to whom. Wealth, family name, age, moral strength and spiritual knowledge in ascending order of importance qualified men to receive respect. This is why a king though the ruler of the land, would prostrate before a spiritual master. Epics like the Ramayana and Mahabharata have many stories highlighting this aspect.

[/tscii:28ef538dbd]

Lambretta
11th March 2006, 06:14 PM
Indians prostrate before their parents, elders, teachers and noble souls by touching their feet. The elder in turn blesses us by placing his or her hand on or over our heads. Prostration is done daily,
Is it still?? :?
In how many places in India, atleast in cities? :(
I'm not insisting tat prostrating b4 all elders (apart from parents) is a *must* but atleast we shud maintain our traditional 'namaskaram' whle greeting them......I mostly see 'hellos' & even 'hi's' (wich sound out of place in this context!) these days......! :(
I've made it a point to greet a 'namaste' to atleast women/elderly ppl.......most of them seem to be happy to acknowledge this gesture.....
Neways, altho I don't altogether dismiss them, my personal opinion on rituals in our religion is wat Swami Vivekananda says......religion is not in books, theories, rituals or dogmas......it is in being & becoming. :)

Sandeep
13th March 2006, 07:05 AM
I dont thing now a days anyone does that.

I have never done that in my life nor have I scene anyone do it in real life. I also dont find people saying Namaskaram. With elders I always greet them by their title (uncle, grandfather in my own language ofcource).

pavalamani pragasam
13th March 2006, 07:57 AM
It is a custom in only a few particular communities!

rajraj
13th March 2006, 08:28 AM
Indians prostrate before their parents, elders, teachers and noble souls by touching their feet. The elder in turn blesses us by placing his or her hand on or over our heads. Prostration is done daily,
Is it still?

Lambretta: You will be surprised to know it is still done, even in the US. Some of the Indian youngsters here wanted our blessings and insisted on prostrating. I had to yield even though I felt uncomfortable. They feel happy that they have our blessings.

Arthi
13th March 2006, 09:20 AM
Is it still?? :?
In how many places in India, atleast in cities? :(
I'm not insisting tat prostrating b4 all elders (apart from parents) is a *must* but atleast we shud maintain our traditional 'namaskaram' whle greeting them......I mostly see 'hellos' & even 'hi's' (wich sound out of place in this context!) these days......! :(
I've made it a point to greet a 'namaste' to atleast women/elderly ppl.......most of them seem to be happy to acknowledge this gesture.....
Neways, altho I don't altogether dismiss them, my personal opinion on rituals in our religion is wat Swami Vivekananda says......religion is not in books, theories, rituals or dogmas......it is in being & becoming. :)

Hi Lambretta,
when I was with my parents, I used to bow down b4 going to school/college/examinations. Even today in Bombay my cousins( they are married and having kids :D) b4 going to office they Stretched out and lying at full length along the ground.

Lambretta
13th March 2006, 09:28 AM
Lambretta: You will be surprised to know it is still done, even in the US. Some of the Indian youngsters here wanted our blessings and insisted on prostrating. I had to yield even though I felt uncomfortable. They feel happy that they have our blessings.
Rajraj sir, good to hear abt these youngsters (r they from India or ABCDs btw?)
And btw, y wud u feel uncomf'ble abt it? :D

rajraj
13th March 2006, 09:41 AM
Lambretta: These are young couples with children from India and some of my Indian students . You feel uncomfortable when one couple wants it while others don't. I think they understood that and waited till everyone left or they came back to visit us. It is their way of saying 'thank you' for being there for them. We are uncle and aunty for them! :)
Some ABCDs touch the feet of the elders.

No need for 'Sir'. Raj is fine! :)

bingleguy
13th March 2006, 10:09 AM
Lambretta: These are young couples with children from India and some of my Indian students . You feel uncomfortable when one couple wants it while others don't. I think they understood that and waited till everyone left or they came back to visit us. It is their way of saying 'thank you' for being there for them. We are uncle and aunty for them! :)
Some ABCDs touch the feet of the elders.

No need for 'Sir'. Raj is fine! :)

Raj ! That was so awesome ! You are a Gentleman !

Well, i strongly support the very habit of prostrating before all good people ! But i too also strongly believe that the takers shld be really worthy enough to take the prostration ! Just age does not decide ! But the amount of Punniyam they do, the amount of pujas and good deeds they do ! The amount of annadhaanam they do ....all these matters !
As per certain rules, we are not supposed to touch their feet when u do namaskaram, except the feet of ur parents or grand parents ... for all others we shld not touch their feet ! Even gurus normally dont allow ppl to touch their feet !
Even today, just like Aarthi, i do prostrate before my parents n grandparents before goin to exams n on all auspicious days !

Lambretta
13th March 2006, 06:48 PM
Well, i strongly support the very habit of prostrating before all good people ! But i too also strongly believe that the takers shld be really worthy enough to take the prostration ! Just age does not decide ! But the amount of Punniyam they do, the amount of pujas and good deeds they do ! The amount of annadhaanam they do ....all these matters !
Hmm....well I wudn't nec. think pujas wud, bingle.......I've lately lost faith tat they determine the spirituality/holiness of a person, young or old! :(
I wud take Swami Vivekananda's saying tat to judge the character of a gr8 person look at ther most ordinary/routine actions/behaviour rather than the greater performances. :)

As per certain rules, we are not supposed to touch their feet when u do namaskaram,
Ohh....I didnt know tat u wernt supposed to so both at the smae time! :)

Arthi
13th March 2006, 07:48 PM
As per certain rules, we are not supposed to touch their feet when u do namaskaram, except the feet of ur parents or grand parents ... for all others we shld not touch their feet !

Why it is so? Is there any reason behind this?
Why am asking this is, whenver I obeisance my GURUJI I touch his feet! ( Kannula Othippen)

viggop
14th March 2006, 10:33 AM
I have seen people offering food to God(Naivedhyam).In some people houses, they offer food for crows.Why is this ritual done?

bingleguy
14th March 2006, 10:47 AM
Hmm....well I wudn't nec. think pujas wud, bingle.......I've lately lost faith tat they determine the spirituality/holiness of a person, young or old! :(
I wud take Swami Vivekananda's saying tat to judge the character of a gr8 person look at ther most ordinary/routine actions/behaviour

Well, pujas ! Guess u think that as a simple to do ritual ! but pujas are not as what u explained here as ! U take ur mind n body n soul together as in one place n on one mind(today we call this state as meditation) and recite the holy manthrams(coz the manthrams create the vibrations! Some ppl meditate and bring this state, n some ppl choose one single objective in mind(ONE GOD) and do the puja .... So here view that as MEDITATION ! Puja is one state of meditation !

meditation does not mean just closing ur eyes n sitting in one place !It means a lot more !

Ya, i do abide with Swamis sayings ! This puja punniyam cannot be viewed outside .... when he is able to bring his mind into a single state then his character is visible outside ..... as his real character !

That s why i quoted pujas too ! Hope this clarifies

Arthi
14th March 2006, 10:53 AM
[tscii:cd0286714b]
I have seen people offering food to God(Naivedhyam).In some people houses, they offer food for crows.Why is this ritual done?

Indians make an offering of food to the Lord and later partake of it as prasaada - a holy gift from the Lord. In our daily ritualistic worship (pooja) too we offer naivedyam (food) to the Lord.

The Lord is omnipotent and omniscient. Man is a part, while the Lord is the totality. All that we do is by His strength and knowledge alone. Hence what we receive in life as a result of our actions is really His alone. We acknowledge this through the act of offering food to Him. This is exemplified by the Hindi words "tera tujko arpan"– I offer what is Yours to You. Thereafter it is akin to His gift to us, graced by His divine touch.

Knowing this, our entire attitude to food and the act of eating changes. The food offered will naturally be pure and the best. We share what we get with others before consuming it. We do not demand, complain or criticise the quality of the food we get. We eat it with cheerful acceptance (prasaada buddhi).

Before we partake of our daily meals we first sprinkle water around the plate as an act of purification. Five morsels of food are placed on the side of the plate acknowledging the debt owed by us to the Divine forces (devta runa) for their benign grace and protection, our ancestors (pitru runa) for giving us their lineage and a family culture, the sages (rishi runa) as our religion and culture have been "realised", aintained and handed down to us by them, our fellow beings (manushya runa) who constitute society without the support of which we could not live as we do and other living beings (bhuta runa) for serving us selflessly.

Thereafter the Lord, the life force, who is also within us as the five life-giving physiological functions, is offered the food. This is done with the chant

praanaaya swaahaa,
apaanaaya swaahaa,
vyaanaaya swaahaa,
udaanaaya swaahaa,
samaanaaya swaahaa,
brahmane swaahaa

After offering the food thus, it is eaten as prasaada - blessed food.

[/tscii:cd0286714b]

Arthi
14th March 2006, 10:55 AM
Why do we do Abishekam?
In 1 view its all wasting food...
I want to know the actuall meaning behind this :)

bingleguy
14th March 2006, 10:56 AM
As per certain rules, we are not supposed to touch their feet when u do namaskaram, except the feet of ur parents or grand parents ... for all others we shld not touch their feet !

Why it is so? Is there any reason behind this?
Why am asking this is, whenver I obeisance my GURUJI I touch his feet! ( Kannula Othippen)

It depends Aarthi ! As a guru you are prostrating ! U must have heard the saying Maatha, Pitha, Guru, Deivam ! So he is at par with all !
He my guess is, you must be quoting ur Master as ur GURU, right ?

But spiritual gurus mostly will not allow ppl to touch their feet !

One reason is called MADI(this is generally prevailent in brahmin houses) a state where after bath, someone else is not allowed to touch you !

Another is ...... there is a kind of state where ur paavam is transferred to the person who is taking ur prostration ... ie when u touch their feet ! The person to whom u r prostrating shld have that energy to digest ur paavams (our parents n grand parents have that ... coz we are their blood) .....The other person who has that energy is GOD !

bingleguy
14th March 2006, 11:06 AM
[tscii][quote=viggop]I have seen people offering food to God(Naivedhyam).In some people houses, they offer food for crows.Why is this ritual done?

Ys Viggop ... Aarthi's quote was true for Neivedhyam ! The reason u offer to crows are - they are considered to be the messengers of ur dead ancestors .... Even during Shraardham (a ritual performed for dead ancestor) this practice is followed

Aarthi.... the practice which u said is practiced till date ! That is called parseshanam ! Also after parseshanam we keep some food (preferrably the main food, for us rice) outside the plate n beyond the water that u have sprinkled ... this was basically tht due to the water we indirectly prevent ants n other insects to come near our plate ... which shld not be added to ur paavams ... so u keep some food outside tht water for them to eat !

Arthi
14th March 2006, 11:08 AM
hi bingleguy
I was referring to my Spiritual GURUJi only :)

Do our parents/grandparents have energy to digest our pavams... though we are their blood.

Arthi
14th March 2006, 11:11 AM
[tscii][quote=viggop]I have seen people offering food to God(Naivedhyam).In some people houses, they offer food for crows.Why is this ritual done?

Ys Viggop ... Aarthi's quote was true for Neivedhyam ! The reason u offer to crows are - they are considered to be the messengers of ur dead ancestors .... Even during Shraardham (a ritual performed for dead ancestor) this practice is followed

Aarthi.... the practice which u said is practiced till date ! That is called parseshanam ! Also after parseshanam we keep some food (preferrably the main food, for us rice) outside the plate n beyond the water that u have sprinkled ... this was basically tht due to the water we indirectly prevent ants n other insects to come near our plate ... which shld not be added to ur paavams ... so u keep some food outside tht water for them to eat !

Great, How meaniful our ritual is!!!...

bingleguy
14th March 2006, 11:18 AM
Why do we do Abishekam?
In 1 view its all wasting food...
I want to know the actuall meaning behind this :)

Abhishekam is performed basically with Jhalam(water) to cool the lord ! The lord in the temple and the deities take a lot of heat(we can say today as kaliyug happennings) that he has to be cooled n brought back to normal ! Else there would be pralayam (The destiny)

Mainly Water and Milk are the prime coolants ! coz Water has the rich n greatest ability of cooling anything (its very property) which is also used to cool the lord ! Many other contents are used with some purpose, for instance,Oil is used to keep the property of the body of the lord (uruvam) the statue has to be maintained from external forces na ...... Also chandan to give a sense of perfume to the lord .... Panneer n Coconut water is also used as the same !

Arthi
14th March 2006, 11:21 AM
Rest all fine,What about panchamirtham? Why do we perform with this???

bingleguy
14th March 2006, 11:24 AM
hi bingleguy
I was referring to my Spiritual GURUJi only :)

Do our parents/grandparents have energy to digest our pavams... though we are their blood.

That was Great ! Then he is a real GURU !who wishes to purify u by digesting !

Ys, our parents have that capacity .... only to digest their blood ...n not others :-)

But i would suggest, even during prostration to ur parents, tis better not to touch their feet ! The very prostration habit of urs will kill ur paavams .... ! Tis said that when ur head bows .... u lose ur mamadhai ! (The "I" ness in you )

The best example quoted for this is the Great Sage Vishwamitra !

He had that mentality ! He got the title from Sage Vasishta as "Bhrama Rishi" only when he bowed n killed that "I" ness in him !

Arthi
14th March 2006, 11:34 AM
<digression>
Every time i lick my parents legs during prostration now what to do? :lol: :lol:
<digression>

bingleguy
14th March 2006, 11:40 AM
Rest all fine,What about panchamirtham? Why do we perform with this???

Pancha Amritham !
Vaazhaipazham, nei, then, vellam, perichchambazham ! They have some distinguishing properties that is preethi for the lord !

Scientifically the five can be different combinations ... where the above mentioned one is the base combination !

bingleguy
14th March 2006, 11:56 AM
<digression>
Every time i lick my parents legs during prostration now what to do? :lol: :lol:
<digression>

:roll:

Arthi
14th March 2006, 12:44 PM
why should not we eat @ the time of day immediately following sunset?

My MOM used to say "SANDHI VELAYIL" sapidakkoodadhu.. why it is so?

bingleguy
14th March 2006, 01:12 PM

Scientifically u are supposed to utilize ur energy and take in fresh energy from the evening sun ! Taking food at that time would be a hindrance to the process ! So refrain from having heavy food that time
U can also hear them saying dont sleep during that time ... this s the reason for the same !

Also particularly that evening time, at six , when they light the vilakku , tis the time when Lakshmi enters the house to give subiksham n eating at that time is not the right choice !

Shakthiprabha.
24th March 2006, 05:14 PM
I can look at it this way (I do agree with bg's scientific view of lesser digestion )

1. Early to bed is a nice habit. So eating during evenings would stuff ur tummy not wanting to eat early dinner.

finishing early dinner is MANDATORY in those days cause ELECTRICITY was unheard off. So they tend ot finish off their duties early and retire to bed.

So sleeping or eating during eve is not necessary or unwanted, cause IN FEW HOURS IT WOULD BE DARK, AND TIME TO EAT AND RETIRE TO SLEEP.

Arthi
24th March 2006, 06:06 PM
my perception is...
we should think about GOD also & recite some slokas which helps one to get stilled his/her mind for that we need to devote sometime. so our ancestors might have thought of this idea.

GURUJI.. urs is also a valid point...
I want to just know why are we following RITUALS/ what is the reason behind that
Most importantly it should not be a superstitious belief
This is not my way of looking @ religion :)

Lambretta
24th March 2006, 07:57 PM
my perception is...
we should think about GOD also & recite some slokas which helps one to get stilled his/her mind for that we need to devote sometime.
And also know the meanings of watever slokas/hymns we chant & take advantage of those to develop our character spiritually! :)
I rem. 5-6 yrs ago my sis once made fun of me wen she got to know tat I didnt know how to recite Gayathri Manthra......:roll:
So I took it as a challenge from her & learnt it but only by-heart......I later began to question the purpose of learning it as I realised tat many ppl. who do dont know the meaning of this manthra (& many other slokas tat r recited)....they jus seem to recite it by-heart bcos they r like, expected to know it! :(
So I began a quest for knowing the meanings of each & every religious sloka we hav & wat benefit it provides us b4 learning it thoroughly.....
Btw, um.....who's "Guruji"?? :?

bingleguy
24th March 2006, 10:54 PM
Lambretta ! Arthi calls Shakthi her GURUJI ;-)

Well coming to ur point of taking things by-heart ! Do u know those days in Gurukulas, manthras, vedas n other lessons were taught and the gurus made the children to by-heart the same ... When u learn manthras by=heart , there are many things that u do !

1) Subconsciously ur mind keeps reciting what u know by-heart, even a small spark is enough to trigger that event

2) The more u recite the vedas n hymns n manthras, the more u generate vibrations in the place, tahts why temples are high on vibrations, because the lord is the roopam of knowledge, manthram, hynmn or vedas n more !

3) You not only generate vibrations inside, u generate vibrations outside

Remember we say "Lokan Samastan sukhino bavantu"

We care more for others too !

So, even if u dont know the meanings, u are bound to generate the vibrations due to the very property of what u r saying !

Lambretta
25th March 2006, 01:50 PM
Oh rite.....SP's her Guruji! :) Altho no idea how/y...hmm......:?

Yea BG, u may be rite abt wat u say reg. by-hearting of slokas......but still, I'm skeptical as to how this is goin2 help an average individual in his everyday life.......it may be a diff. issue in case of temple priests (even tho I wud feel tat they too sound like they just learnt wat they recite by pure 'batti' (telugu for by-heart/rote)......
It is necessary to understand the meanings of watever religiously derived literature tat u read, by-heart or otherwise, as they wer basically ment to help u develop urself spiritually & also lest sumone challenges the usefulness of these & deamnds to know wat they signify to u......once my friend's father made me sit down w/ him & recite the Vishnu Sahasranama along w/ him wen I'd stayed at ther house in hyd.......but I felt a sort of revulsion in me during tat 1/2 hr as I wasnt able to know wat I was actually reading & y......
Hav also known of ppl. reading out the Bhagwat Gita page by page everyday, in various pitches, yet most of them dont realise the actual meaning behind each saying in the book!
Therefore I decided to rely for the time being, on books wher the translation/meaning of all religious chanting is given.....only then hav I begun to realise how significant they r......:)

Shakthiprabha.
25th March 2006, 01:51 PM
Vibrations from mantras are TOO POWERFUL to create postive energy.

Shakthiprabha.
25th March 2006, 01:55 PM
well,

LEARNING THEM WITH MEANING, helps oneself change(by realization)

reciting without knowing the meaning, GENERATES waves around us, which is powerful to create good energy around us to keep us happy.

The latter is good too, though the effect is lil lesser.

dign

lambretta,

I DONT KNOW WHY SHE CALLS ME GURUJI. :? :roll:

Ive told her, I am not much interested in religion, rituals, and things connected to it. I just tend to or strive to understand something which is beyond me (call it whatever name). I wanna know if there is something which cant be crumbled down to MERE SCIENCE.

YET SHE FEELS she has to call me 'GURUJI' :oops:

The funny fact is she knows more things than me (religion and mythology wise). :lol:

I just talk DRY-PHILOSOPHY at times. Thats bout it.

:)

/end dign.

Arthi
26th March 2006, 01:49 PM
Mantras are powerful sounds. Mantras are the ones that have when chanted produce great effects. These are chanted repeatedly and that is called Japa. It creates a positive vibrations around you.
My sister says that the positive vibration created by this japa takes up one to the higher state.
It is the ulmitate path to get the eternal bliss. Rarely I also feel that as if am flying i have enjoyed my life fully and ready for my next journey :)...

Arthi
26th March 2006, 02:07 PM
I have a doubt...

Whatever slokas/Mantras we recite that is not composed by us. These slokas emanate from great sages/rishis/devotees thoughts. Whatever they imagined about the god or they wanted they mentioned in their scriptures.

For Eg: If we take SADGURU THAGARAJA, in all his works he mentioned his names... (He showed his love/Bhakthi/feelings for RAMA)

so if we want to workship god or praise god we are using those already written slokas/songs etc.
Is it not contradictory that we are using those ppls' work to do our prayer? :roll:

I always have this doubt... Endha slogam sonnalum kadaseela adhai Ezhidhinava perayum varum

eg:In Divya Prabhandham... Alwars included their name in each and every poem... At the end of the prabhandham we say Andal ThiruvadigalaE chararam so on & so forth...

Arthi
26th March 2006, 02:13 PM
In Sahasranama also it comes
Arjunav Uvacha, Parvathi Uvacha... Bahgawan give answers to their Questions.. Right...
They are asking & Bhagwan is giving answer
But why are we reciting this?m :roll:

Arthi
26th March 2006, 02:20 PM
dign

lambretta,

I DONT KNOW WHY SHE CALLS ME GURUJI. :? :roll:

Ive told her, I am not much interested in religion, rituals, and things connected to it. I just tend to or strive to understand something which is beyond me (call it whatever name). I wanna know if there is something which cant be crumbled down to MERE SCIENCE.

YET SHE FEELS she has to call me 'GURUJI' :oops:
/end dign.

<Digression>

GURUJI Enna Appadi Solleteenga? :cry:
Aapadi koopidakoodadha, :roll: tell me I will TRY to stop it :cry:
I like this word GURUJI very much.. @ my Office also I used to call my friend like this. If someone teaches me, obviously they are my GURUJI... U teaches me a lot & so u r my GURUJI...

You call me shishya very simple :)
<Digression>

Arthi
26th March 2006, 05:02 PM

viggop
27th March 2006, 10:11 AM
Vishnu Sahasranamam is recited by Bhishma when he was in his bed of arrows.Thousand names of Lord Vishnu

Arthi
27th March 2006, 10:20 AM
yes yes.. you are right. :)

Arthi
27th March 2006, 10:33 AM
hi Viggop,

I have read somewhere( Iguess MOOKOOR LAKSHMI NARASHIMAACHARYA'S kOORAI ONDRUM ELLAI) that in sahasranama...
Parvath Uvasha is Parvathi is asking bhagwan If people are not able to recite full sahasranama... what is the otherway to get the full effect of sahasranama?

God Replies... if one is not able to recite the SAHASRANAMA, atleast he can recite

SHRI RAMA RAMA RAMAeTHI
RAMAe RAMA MANORAMAe
SAHASRANAMA THATULLAM
RAMA NAMA VARANANAe...

Am I right? :roll:

bingleguy
27th March 2006, 10:38 AM
A lot of things have happenned ! well am willing to take in one by one ... not just for the sake of saying something on everything .... but sharing what i have for everything, with everybody

Is it not contradictory that we are using those ppls' work to do our prayer? Rolling Eyes
I always have this doubt... Endha slogam sonnalum kadaseela adhai Ezhidhinava perayum varum
eg:In Divya Prabhandham... Alwars included their name in each and every poem... At the end of the prabhandham we say Andal ThiruvadigalaE chararam so on & so forth...

Hi Arthi, Wat makes u feel that its contradictory to use other ppl's work. Ok lemme ask u something
1. U are asked a question by a 5th standard boy as to "How does a rocket go up?
The first thing that strikes ur mind is Newton's Third Law .... wy dont we find our own answer ????

2. Ok now u r asked to find the area of a triangle ... dont u use the existing formula for the same

3. You are asked how come man evolved from monkey .. dont u remember Darwin that time ...

So for all these u dont want to contradict coz tis all proved ! Similarly you are using the prarthanaas by reciting the slokas or mantrams ... They were chosen to write those simply by the will of GOD ! Its not so easy to recite something like THE GITA or Vishnu Sahasranamam or Lalitha Sahasranamam ! It needs a lot of power from inside ! So we believe that GOD wanted to give info to this world thru these chosen beings !

Well ur second doubt

Simple, u sign after ur painting right.... a small importance is given to the person who is contributing ! Sometimes the person writes it n sometimes others add it ... n Tyagaraaja keerthanaas most of it will have his name .....

not everything will have the name of the creator ! but will surely will have the name of the supreme creator !

hope this clarifies

Arthi
27th March 2006, 11:00 AM
What my doubt was... see i want to do prayer & am using those sages scriptures to do my prayer. What my doubt is, these works are done my those ppl in order to achieve something/ get something from GOD. am also using the same thing. is that right?

<but one thing I have to accept here that GOD has not given me such power to compose sloka on my own :cry: >

bingleguy
27th March 2006, 11:14 AM
Make something VERY CLEAR in your mind !

You shld never ask for or expect anything from GOD. Slokams and others were not written with that purpose ! Their purpose is to define, praise and sing on the GOD ! That is why we are using that ! Not to ask anything from the supreme ! God knows what when n how to give you ! We must perform our duty !

<but one thing I have to accept here that GOD has not given me such power to compose sloka on my own Crying or Very sad >

Thiruvalluvar did not write ThiruKKuraL when he was 10 ....
Bheeshm did not recite Sahasranamam when he was 10 ....
Appar, Sundarar n all did not start when they were 10 ......

so here the almighty has a purpose for everybody.....

btw wats that on own crying n sad n all, i didnt get that !

Arthi
27th March 2006, 11:27 AM
Thanx Bingleguy.
Sorry I should not have mentiond that way
[quote]
What my doubt is, these works are done my those ppl in order to achieve something/ get something from GOD. am also using the same thing. is that right?[quote]
to give example i mentioned this way.

I know slokas are not written for that. Even I never ask anything from GOD, but I thank HIM for giving this beautiful life & question him what is the purpose of this life.
I wanted to ask something but I explained here in some other way.

bingleguy
27th March 2006, 11:32 AM
We all have taken this birth to learn certain things ! As already mentioned everybody has a purpose ... Need not thank ;-) but cherish the fact that u are getting satisfactory explanations thru some being !

Well, u were about to say something ... adhu yennannu sollunga !

bingleguy
27th March 2006, 11:36 AM
SHRI RAMA RAMA RAMAeTHI
RAMAe RAMA MANORAMAe
SAHASRANAMA THATULLAM
RAMA NAMA VARANANAe...

Am I right? :roll:

Shree-rama ram rameti rame raame mano-rame |
Saha-sranaama tattulyam raama-naama varaa-nane ||

Great observation !

Arthi
27th March 2006, 11:39 AM
We all have taken this birth to learn certain things ! As already mentioned everybody has a purpose ... Need not thank ;-) but cherish the fact that u are getting satisfactory explanations thru some being !

Well, u were about to say something ... adhu yennannu sollunga !

It is cleared :)

Naan Solla Ninaithathu... Periyava Perumala PugazhdhadhaiE Naamalum copy-adichu Use pannalama Garadhu dhan :)

bingleguy
27th March 2006, 11:48 AM
Naan Solla Ninaithathu... Periyava Perumala PugazhdhadhaiE Naamalum copy-adichu Use pannalama Garadhu dhan

Marupadiyum vedaalam murunga maram yeriduchu ....... :roll:

Arthi
27th March 2006, 12:00 PM
I said it is cleared... U Quoted my half of the msg & commenting :)

bingleguy
27th March 2006, 01:19 PM
Life la ...

;-)

Arthi
27th March 2006, 02:21 PM
Life la ...

;-)

What does it mean?
U often use this ;) icons why so?

Ok shall we come to our topic? :)

Can you post some other rituals which we follow & its meaning?

bingleguy
27th March 2006, 02:41 PM
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
icons pathi kindal panreengala ? Guruji kitta complain panren !
:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

well ungalukku kelvi mattum dhaan ketka theriyum ... yenakku badil mattu sollanummnum :twisted: kelvi n badhil rendum solla maaten ;-)

so kelvigalai nee ketkiraayaa alladhu naan ketkattumaa ?

Arthi
27th March 2006, 02:55 PM
I don't want to ask just for the sake of asking :)

Wait will come with some Questions.

Arthi
27th March 2006, 06:52 PM
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
icons pathi kindal panreengala ? Guruji kitta complain panren !
:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

well ungalukku kelvi mattum dhaan ketka theriyum ... yenakku badil mattu sollanummnum :twisted: kelvi n badhil rendum solla maaten ;-)

so kelvigalai nee ketkiraayaa alladhu naan ketkattumaa ?

by al means u can ask :)
There are so many legends in this HUB to answer ur Question

Shakthiprabha.
27th March 2006, 11:39 PM

Arthi
28th March 2006, 08:49 AM
Guruji.. Why are you blinking like this?

If you have any questions put forward :)

bingleguy
28th March 2006, 08:54 AM
Good Mornin Arthi ... avanga nethu raathiri idhai paththu dhadavai padichu paathuttu

"legends in this HUB"

thookkam varaama 11.40 kku muzhichukittu irundhaanga polirukku ?

bingleguy
28th March 2006, 08:59 AM
A quick question from me !

Normally we have heard that on some day we shld not cut our nails or hair - say for instance we are not supposed to cut our nails on saturday -

Once what happ is "I was seeing my friend removing his nails on a saturday n i told him do not do that ! he replied back asking why ? i told him today s saturday, good day, do not remove this !
he replied "Nails are bad, they shld not be growing for a long time, so why shld not we do something good(removing the bad nails) on a good day !

I was not able to answer back ........

What do u all think about this ?

Shakthiprabha.
28th March 2006, 12:31 PM
I feel such beliefs would have come from some hear say mythological stories.

For example, saturday offering hair makes ur hair grow (a lady who gave hair for venkateshwara, would be pleased to receive offering and bless u with boutiful hair etc)

THERE ARE certain things like

Sensible rituals
and
False mindless beliefs

We need to distinguish between the two.

bingleguy
28th March 2006, 01:00 PM
Not all are mythological !

There shld be a reason for the same ... there are certain things like thodai ya thatradhu which ppl shld do only during deaths (amangalam) so we say do not do such things in normal times ....

does it mean that it is a myth ?

Arthi
28th March 2006, 01:12 PM
I know, we should not cut nails @ night. The reason could be nails grow due to bad cells... so it should be discared properly.
Night-la cut pannina.. thare are posibilities the we might miss it to collect all the bits
I do not know this Saturday matter.

Shakthiprabha.
28th March 2006, 01:48 PM
nails are DEAD CELLS!!!

nIGHT LA antha kaalathula current illai. So we wont know where we miss it or put it.

So they preferred day light. EllamE yosicha puriyum.

Thodai.......
probably some nerve present in thigh area is connected closely to death or life. So, disturbing them is not a very wise idea?

bingleguy
28th March 2006, 01:52 PM
Well nice thoughts Shakthi !

Arthi
28th March 2006, 02:23 PM
Guruji nails -la kooda namba thoughts othupogudhu :D

Shakthiprabha.
28th March 2006, 02:37 PM
arthi pullarikkuthu :D :D

bingleguy
28th March 2006, 02:38 PM
yenna yaaraavadhu kaapaathungalen :-o

Arthi
28th March 2006, 02:41 PM
yenna yaaraavadhu kaapaathungalen :-o

why yarru adichha?

are u satisfied with my GURUJI's answer?

Kelviyai thodungal?

bingleguy
28th March 2006, 02:44 PM
Neenga rendu perum maathi maathi soriya vecheenga nna raththam vandhu punnaayidum .... :(

She was telling somthing really practical ! Good go Shakthi !

Shakthiprabha.
28th March 2006, 03:03 PM

bingleguy
28th March 2006, 05:25 PM
Shakthi, am planning to start a thread called SadaCaram - which basically talks about our achaarams n daily duties that we have to follow ... but i dont have much of scientific reasoning to explain that ! but most of them are truly said in Families even today !

Wat is ur idea about this ?

Shakthiprabha.
28th March 2006, 05:55 PM
plz do start.

I shall muse on those lines and tell what i think bout each aachaaram.

bingleguy
28th March 2006, 05:59 PM
Thanks Shakthi .....

Raghu
29th March 2006, 03:23 PM
Viboothi- is worn to show that you will be turned into ash, so everything turns into dust

Breaking Coconut- to show that your atma is as pure and white as the coconut

Deepa Aarathana- to show the wisdom of light, as we live in Darkness known as Maya

Shakthiprabha.
29th March 2006, 03:37 PM
:clap:

true.

raghu, uve not sent me link. please send me link. i tried searching in vain :oops:

breaking coconut : athma is white, when the tough exterior or ego or ahamkaara or maaya is broken ITS VISIBLE

deepa aarathana: mainly garbagraha is dark, so ppl used it to see the beauty of the idol. (USING LIGHT)
also camphor is good for health and sinus problems.

Arthi
29th March 2006, 04:29 PM
Viboothi: Scientific reason: It observes the unwanted water in ur head...

Arthi
29th March 2006, 04:30 PM
Viboothi: Scientific reason: It observes the unwanted water in ur head...

Arthi
29th March 2006, 04:33 PM
Deepa Aarathana: I totallly agree with Guruji.. yes guruji you are right :clap:

Andha Eruttula perumala sevikara azhgaE azhagu :)

bingleguy
29th March 2006, 04:38 PM
Viboothi shld be mixed with wated n applied on ur forehead for absorbing unwanted water in ur forehead ! Neeru nnu solluvaanga !

Ilaneer kudikkum bodhu sembu paathirathil kudikka koodaadhu !

actually garbagraham shld not be lit with artificial light like focus lamps n all ... deepam shld only be showing the lord ... n when u have to see him with more light .. that time deepa aaraadhanai is shown !

dsath
29th March 2006, 08:38 PM
Makes sense. May be they ring the bell to get the attention of people to see the diety in light.

Shakthiprabha.
29th March 2006, 09:17 PM
Bell WHICH is mainly for catching attention,

also serves the purpose of NULLIFYING the other sounds, when the archana mantras are going on.

Some may talk unwanted talks, the sounds of which
cannot be heard when the gong goes on.

pavalamani pragasam
29th March 2006, 09:30 PM
Like the 'kettimELam' during marriage?

Shakthiprabha.
29th March 2006, 09:48 PM
YUP pp maam. I think so.

Arthi
31st March 2006, 09:22 AM
Shakthi, am planning to start a thread called SadaCaram - which basically talks about our achaarams n daily duties that we have to follow ... but i dont have much of scientific reasoning to explain that ! but most of them are truly said in Families even today !

Wat is ur idea about this ?

Bingle Could you please give me the deatils of the Book SadaCaram? so I can try getting this here :)

bingleguy
31st March 2006, 09:30 AM
Hi All !

also serves the purpose of NULLIFYING the other sounds, when the archana mantras are going on.

if tis used for NULLIFYING sounds, obviously it might make the reciting of mantras too not heard ! Un wanted talks, tis in the hands of the ppl to give their concentration to the lord, n not completely the lord taking theirs !

Well the almighty does not care about the talks, coz he hears even what we think in our minds ! so that may not be the only reason ...

PP, do u keTTimeLam is used just for reducing other noises ?

Arthi ! i will let u know about the book !

Arthi
31st March 2006, 09:39 AM
The ringing of the bell produces what is regarded as an auspicious sound. It produces the sound Om, the universal name of the Lord. There should be auspiciousness within and without, to gain the vision of the Lord who is all-auspiciousness.

one more thing it draws the attention of the people who want to go to temple. It could be an indication also that Deepa Aaradhana is goin on to the people so they can rush to temple(atleast not to miss this)

rajraj
31st March 2006, 09:40 AM
PP, do u keTTimeLam is used just for reducing other noises ?

I was told that kettimeLam was to mask any sound that is not auspicious - thummal for example ! :)

bingleguy
31st March 2006, 09:43 AM
The ringing of the bell produces what is regarded as an auspicious sound. It produces the sound Om, the universal name of the Lord. There should be auspiciousness within and without, to gain the vision of the Lord who is all-auspiciousness.

one more thing it draws the attention of the people who want to go to temple. It could be an indication also that Deepa Aaradhana is goin on to the people so they can rush to temple(atleast not to miss this)

Sounds sensible ! Ys ... in some temples, ppl come to know each n every happenning by those temple bell rings ! ofcourse the sound produced by the bell, is very unique ! probably we can a complete thread in discussing about AUM !

Ofcourse , it can be a masking ...
but i guess it has a main purpose too !

pavalamani pragasam
31st March 2006, 09:45 AM
"nallaa maattikkittaangadoy"nnu kaatturarathukkaakavum irukkalaam! :wink:
Just kidding! :lol:

Arthi
31st March 2006, 09:53 AM
"nallaa maattikkittaangadoy"nnu kaatturarathukkaakavum irukkalaam! :wink:
Just kidding! :lol:

PP mam... Maataradhu Namakku... Maatikkaradhu :lol: :lol:
Edhukku per dhan valiya poi vamba vilaikku vangaradha :roll:

Arthi
31st March 2006, 09:55 AM
Ringing Bell: Many a times it had happened in my life that after hearing the sound I used to run to the temple

Arthi
31st March 2006, 10:04 AM
Aagamaarthamtu devaanaam
gamanaarthamtu rakshasaam
Kurve ghantaaravam tatra
devataahvaahna lakshanam

I ring this bell indicating
the invocation of divinity,
So that virtuous and noble forces
enter (my home and heart);
and the demonic and evil forces
from within and without, depart.

bingleguy
31st March 2006, 10:06 AM
This mantra/slogam is normally said before u start a puja ringing the small mani(bell) at home !

Shakthiprabha.
31st March 2006, 01:09 PM
I think GONGING of bell drives away BAD THOUGHT FORCES, NEGATIVE FORCES AWAY.

By nature or some scientific expl is there ( like how crystals drive negative forces away)

Hence ringing bell is resorted to.

Ofcourse it does sound sensible for me that kettimelam and bell are to prevant hearing unnecesary talk, and to catch our attention.

bingleguy
31st March 2006, 01:17 PM
I think GONGING of bell drives away BAD THOUGHT FORCES, NEGATIVE FORCES AWAY.

Ofcourse it does sound sensible for me that kettimelam and bell are to prevant hearing unnecesary talk, and to catch our attention.

Do u think so Shakthi ? that they will drive negative forces ?

well catching attention makes sense to me for kettimelam .. but the other one ... am still not satisfied !

Shakthiprabha.
31st March 2006, 02:21 PM
I suppose so.
Some strong noises has certain characterisitics.

LIKE drum beats, gong sounds, conch etc.

Theyh are supp to drive away negative forces.

dsath
31st March 2006, 02:54 PM
Churches also ring bells during mass, wedding and other occasions. I guess its a more of an attention gaining thing.

Arthi
31st March 2006, 07:32 PM
I agree with Guruji & Dsath, in temple bell is rung at the time of puja and this is done so that the evil spirits may go away from temple premises, and all abuses or other bad sounds may be stifled from being heard

I read from the net .. there also same meaning is given for ringing bell.

pradheep
31st March 2006, 07:51 PM
Ringing bells

The nature of mind is to wander and it uses the five senses to achieve it. Therefore the reason for all rituals is to bring this wandering mind inward. The rituals employ five aspects for these five senses. Ringing of the bell is for the ears, which immediately bring the mind to "attention". Look at this picture
in this link for this information.

http://sakthifoundation.org/Space_ritual.htm

Arthi
31st March 2006, 07:54 PM
A small piece of explanation about "Kandhar shashti kavacham" is also Good :)

dsath
3rd April 2006, 02:36 PM
The flow charts in the link were really good. Simple and easy to understand.

bingleguy
3rd April 2006, 02:44 PM
I agree with Guruji & Dsath, in temple bell is rung at the time of puja and this is done so that the evil spirits may go away from temple premises, and all abuses or other bad sounds may be stifled from being heard

I read from the net .. there also same meaning is given for ringing bell.

i still dont buy that tis used for just driving out evil forces !

A temple is a place which is supposed to be free from evil forces ... so what is the necessity to drive the evil ?
Probably, if u would have said to drive out evil from that area, ppl can try to accept !
anyways ... i shall get to know that n then start the discussion !

Shakthiprabha.
3rd April 2006, 03:59 PM
Temple is a place which is free from it cause,

OF

MANTRAS
GONG BELLS
THOGUHTS OF PPL

so mantra serve the purpose.

evil thoughts or negative thoughts are not away becuase its temple. RATHER ITS MADE TO BE AWAY, cause of mantra, chantings and gong sounds

bingleguy
3rd April 2006, 04:09 PM
Evil is not present as Evil force ! Tis nothing but the human's thoughts ! Evil thoughts !

To bring them all to one instance, n make them concentrate only on the LORD .... probably they give the gong !

well thoughts ! thats a good explanation, when compared to evil forces !

Shakthiprabha.
3rd April 2006, 04:36 PM
who said evil means devil or ghost or evil force
its our own negative thoughts as clusters. (concentrated thoughts in large)

bingleguy
3rd April 2006, 04:43 PM
cmon ... Shakthi .. i too told the same thing ! I praised u for saying that even ... i understood what u said :-)

Arthi
3rd April 2006, 05:32 PM
Hi Dude & Fellies

Shall I post my next doubt :)

Some sect of people prostrate 4 times and some sect of people one time only. why it is so?

Madisarla kooda 2 types any special reason for this?

bingleguy
3rd April 2006, 05:44 PM
A small correction, i guess tis not prosterating 4 times, but three times ... generally followed by Iyengar ladies !

Generally in Iyengars n Iyers there are a lot of differences !
I guess it may be for the sake of showing a difference.... probably i dont see any solid reasoning to say that this is the reason !

Purusha namaskaram pannunbodhu , they have to do it completely surrendering their body on the ground, with their Forehead, Nose tip, Chin, both the hands(how would ppl use for push ups),chest, stomach, lower hip, n legs ! n ladies using only their kneels n hands and forehead to touch the ground !

Arthi
3rd April 2006, 05:54 PM
No, Not 3 times. It is 4 times only :)

pradheep
3rd April 2006, 06:42 PM
Dear friends
As you are all discussing, there are no evil forces, there are only evil thoughts. Any action first has to appear as a thought. If some hurts another, first it had apepared as thought and then precipitated in action. No one can hurt another without have a previous thought plan. This is why in all rituals, emphasis is given to generate positive thoughts.

Evil is not something real that can be destroyed, it is merely absense of good. Like we cannot destroy darkness. Darkness isnot solid reality, it is absense of light. So bring light to remove darkness.

This is why wekeep lighted lamps in temples and in places of worship to denote this aspect.

anbu_kathir
3rd April 2006, 07:10 PM
Hi..

I am new in here.. went through your discussions.
The " Namaste " discussions reminded me of its meaning ..

Namaste = Namah + Te

Supposed to mean " God in me Salutes God in You " .. even by this single word the profound truth of the One in All , was conveyed. Every angle had been thought about, and planned for , I guess. :-)

Love to all.

Shakthiprabha.
3rd April 2006, 11:51 PM
kathir, pradeep

:clap:

Sudhaama
8th April 2006, 11:48 PM
Indian Tradition used to inculcate the spirit of SELF-DISCIPLINE right from the childhood days.

So even the elementary day to day life-practices, they have linked with either God or as something good and bad days and times., such that those rudimentary self-discipline and personal care is not lost sight of, in the course of more important commitments and duties. So we have to keep in mind the reasoning behind and not much beyond.

Even such codes of discipline forms part of Orthodoxy, a strict self-discipline, applicable to the people committed to Divine or Devotional duties like, Temple-Services, Veda-paaraayanam etc...

... since they are linked with Athma-bandham too,...the FOURTH-POWER of mankind... alongside ones services by Brain, Body and Mind

So the Vaidheeka-Brahmins who are committed for such services, have got to be very strict in adhering to such stipulations,...

...and Not others who are LOWKEEKAS...since not practicable as also too cumbersome and parsimonious.... leading to baseless INHIBITIONS.

In brief, ones Occupation is linked with such self-disciplines... more than other factors.

bingleguy
10th April 2006, 10:11 AM
Sudhaama ! :-) Discipline is LIFE ! but still many dont understand the fact

Good ones Kathir n Pradeep

Welcoming u all to this thread !

bingleguy
10th April 2006, 10:12 AM
[tscii:982f68972d]We were discussing about applying ash on to our head with practical reasons - THis is wat is given in Kaalaagni Rudra Upanishad for applying ash on the forehead !

Once it happened that Sanat Kumara asked the exalted Kalagnirudra: “Teach me O exalted Sir ! the truth in respect to the rule of the Tripundram (a sect mark consisting of three streaks) and what material, which place, how much, of what extent and which streaks, which divinity, which formula, which powers and which reward there are ?”

The exalted one said to him “The material should be the ash of fires. One should grasp it with the five Brahman-formulas (Sathyojaatam, Vaamadevam, Agoram, Rudram, Eesaanam). Consecrate it with the formula “Agnir iti bhasma” etc., Take out with the formula “maa nas toke tanayae” and (after consecrating) with the formula “Trayambakam Yajaamahe” should apply it as three lines across on the head, forehead, breast and shoulders under the tryaayusa formulas, trayambaka formulas and trisakti formulas.[/tscii:982f68972d]

Arthi
10th April 2006, 10:14 AM
Sudhama Sir, Thank you so much for your reply.
Please try to visit this thread often :) and enlighten us

Sudhaama
11th April 2006, 11:44 PM
Dear friends
As you are all discussing, there are no evil forces, there are only evil thoughts. Any action first has to appear as a thought. If some hurts another, first it had apepared as thought and then precipitated in action. No one can hurt another without have a previous thought plan. This is why in all rituals, emphasis is given to generate positive thoughts.

Evil is not something real that can be destroyed, it is merely absense of good. Like we cannot destroy darkness. Darkness isnot solid reality, it is absense of light. So bring light to remove darkness.

This is why wekeep lighted lamps in temples and in places of worship to denote this aspect.

No doubt POSITIVE-THINKING develops Positive-forces around us... which are the auxiliary super-natural powers for our activities.

But it is not correct to say that there exists no Evil-forces at all. God has created Good and Bad-forces by shape or in Abstract-forms....

God created Opposite-forces....Devas and Asuras... and even his own Enemies too... in the names Hiranya, Hiranyaaksha, Sisupaala, Kamsa, Ravana etc... WHY?.

The Evil-Devi... called Moodevi... came out of the same milky ocean... from where Lakshmi-devi the Positive force also originated...Why?....

.. Each has its own deep meaning and high sense of Human-Values to be SELF-REALISED.... towards MEANINGFUL LIFE.

bingleguy
17th April 2006, 09:31 AM
Actions - Good or Bad ...... is decided upon our karmas (am highlighting the good n bad aspects in humans)

pradheep
17th April 2006, 05:27 PM
Dear Sudhaama
God never creates god and evil. If you personalize God then you are correct. But God being absolute unconditioned does not fall into good and bad. Puranas explain us how evil and good arise and that isnotcreated by God. itis our minds that create them.

Arthi
17th April 2006, 05:41 PM
Ok pradeep.. why do we categorize something as Good/bad?

The one which is good for be might be bad for someone else right. there is not correct definition for good/Bad.. in such case why do our brains perceive somrthing as good/ bad.

anbu_kathir
17th April 2006, 06:27 PM
The answer was already mentioned by Pradeep.... The mind does it, based on collected experiences over the incarnations.

Love and Light

The one which is good for be might be bad for someone else right. there is not correct definition for good/Bad.. in such case why do our brains perceive somrthing as good/ bad.

pradheep
17th April 2006, 08:13 PM
why do we categorize something as Good/bad?

Thanks Anbu.

Dear Arthi
What we expect others to do to us are good actions.
what we dont want others to do to us are bad actions.
We say cheating is bad because we dont want to be cheated by others. Our mind is not comfortable when some one cheats us.

This has nothing to do with God. I do not say that Good and bad concepts are not required. Good and bad are the mental concepts which make life comfortable and peaceful.

may be you can read this to understand what i said above.
http://www.sakthifoundation.org/evil.htm

Arthi
18th April 2006, 11:00 AM
Hi Bingle Morning :)

Long time back we discussed about Srirangam...and were discussing that all Alwars except madhurakavi alwar composed songs on Ranganathar swamy in Srirangam.

The reason is Madhurakavi alwar sang only about periyazhwar who was his guru. He did sing any song about any gods. he sang only about Periyazhwar only.

bingleguy
18th April 2006, 11:14 AM
Arthi ..... thats a nice piece of info !

Pradeep,Anbu , welcome to this thread
This thread welcomes ur valuble contributions ! Keep it goin !

Arthi
18th April 2006, 11:17 AM
Hi Pradeep

What we expect others to do to us are good actions.
what we dont want others to do to us are bad actions.

My question is why do we expect from others? Without exception if we lead our life then we can perceive everything as good only.
We should not expect anything from anybody. we should do our duty and leave the rest to God. He knows what to do for us. Really I have experienced this in my life. Even if you expect if you do not have anybody to help... you need to stand on your leg. some X comes and help you in your way.
I feel expectation is the first step for our downfall.
If we expect from others... there come bondage i feel then in turn you need to help them when they are in need... then there is no end for it.

bingleguy
18th April 2006, 11:24 AM
Arthi .... can we also add some points to this ?

Arthi
18th April 2006, 11:25 AM
God and Bad thing in our life is based on our Karma... what we did in our past. We have to have reap the benefits for our action we did/doing/will... No one can escape from it.

Since we have taken a manusha janma in this incarnation letz do good to others or atleast don't harm others in oder to attain Moksha. This ataining Mosha also we do not know, whether this janma itself we get Moksha or else we will be taken another innumerable births...but atleast in this birth since we have thinking power do good things as much as possible

Arthi
18th April 2006, 11:28 AM
Arthi .... can we also add some points to this ?

Go ahead Bingle :)

bingleguy
18th April 2006, 11:35 AM
can reframe ur question as to exactly what u need Arthi !

Arthi
18th April 2006, 11:38 AM
I gave my view for Pradeep's point :) about good/Bad action...

bingleguy
18th April 2006, 11:57 AM
GOod ! :-)

Sudhaama
18th April 2006, 04:18 PM
Hi Bingle Morning :)

Long time back we discussed about Srirangam...and were discussing that all Alwars except madhurakavi alwar composed songs on Ranganathar swamy in Srirangam.

The reason is Madhurakavi alwar sang only about periyazhwar who was his guru. He did sing any song about any gods. he sang only about Periyazhwar only.

It was NOT Perialwar....but NAMMALWAR.... whom his Disciple Madhurakavi-Alwar considered as God Vishnu Awathara...

... and sang on Nammaalwaar ONLY.....named KANNINUN-SIRUTHAAMBU,

...which has been accepted as a part of Thamizh-Veda ....4000 Dhivya-Prabhandham... and sung in Vishnu-Temples

Poet Kambar too agrees with Madhurakavi Alwar... and praised Nammaalwar as the 11th Awathara of Vishnu...

.. in his composition exclusive on him....named SADAGOPAR ANDHAADHI.

I have written more in detail on this point... in my Tamil Serial-Articles ...of our Hub-Magazines....

.. under the Title: THAMIZH-MARHAI THIRUVAAYMOZHI.

bingleguy
18th April 2006, 04:21 PM
thanks for the revived info sudhamaa !

Arthi
18th April 2006, 04:50 PM
Oh sorry for my Mistake
Thanks sudhamaji :)

pradheep
18th April 2006, 05:12 PM
Well said Arthi
Yes expectation is the key problem and also do acceptance. so the key phrase is Accept and not Expect. We do not accept everyone and situations as they are. But this acceptance is difficult to understand because generally people think it is a means to non-react. But it is the best way to see our Ego.
This "Anta-karana-sudhi" is the way to God realization.

As you said doing help is the best means for Anta-karana sudhi, which is meant to give up Ego, but unfortunately if some one is not careful (vigilant) then that itself strengthens the ego ,because then we expect fame, power, recognition and appreciation.

When we dont get it we get angry and disaaponited. If we get it and identify with this, we get pride. Both anger and pride leads to destruction.

As I have mentioned earlier all the rituals are meant to observe to transcend the Ego.

Remember the Ego is multi faced. You might try to win in one aspect (form) and immediately it hides and expresses in another form. So they are multi-dimensional approaches to overcome it. This is why we need many births so as to speak.

Why do we represent Gods with multi hands and multi-weapons?. They represent the multitiude ways to purify our minds, the Ego.

Arthi
18th April 2006, 05:20 PM
Wow Good Post pradeep :)

bingleguy
18th April 2006, 05:26 PM
Multitude ways ! Great explanation Pradeep !

Arthi
18th April 2006, 05:29 PM
One should know how to control his/her ego. Saying is easy. We should not be an egoistic. But we should need some means to pass our Ego out. if we keep on suppressing our Ego it will burst out one day which is also dangerous. It is like our anger only. In a proper way we should let out our ego also. Here am talking about ego like self pride like sort of thing.
By doing Japam and keep on assuring ourself that am not a doer of my action we can control our ego.
Practise makes a person perfect :)

Arthi
18th April 2006, 05:33 PM
Remember the Ego is multi faced. You might try to win in one aspect (form) and immediately it hides and expresses in another form. So they are multi-dimensional approaches to overcome it. This is why we need many births so as to speak.

Why do we represent Gods with multi hands and multi-weapons?. They represent the multitiude ways to purify our minds, the Ego.

Nice points... Good explanation :)

Raghu
18th April 2006, 05:39 PM
i must STRESS that in the name of RELIGION evil forces are acting upon human minds, strange beleifs and mooda nambikais are disgrace

chk this link

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/south_asia/4903390.stm

Arthi
18th April 2006, 05:41 PM
Oh here the link is blocked :cry:

bingleguy
18th April 2006, 05:45 PM
we shld know to distinguish between our duties and mooda nambikkais ........

It is so pathetic to go thru this kind of a NEWS ... i could nt contol myself reading it completely ... i closed it ! It is brutal to do such a thing ! The almighty alone can save us from such brutal behaviours !

bingleguy
18th April 2006, 05:47 PM
Arthi ,... better u dont read the link ... this cruel thing ...... better u dont see the news .... :cry:

pradheep
18th April 2006, 05:49 PM
You are right arthi,

Suppressing Ego is no good. It will create a valcano. The best is to be aware of it. First watch it. This watching of the Ego and mind is the best way.

All our rituals help us to strengthen the awareness to watch the Ego. This witnessing is the power. Without this understanding all rituals would be a helpless cry of the Ego to the God. Ego is the only screen between us and the God. All rituals help us to remove the screen. Inquire and we can find this truth.

bingleguy
18th April 2006, 05:54 PM
EGO ! are we discussing this ego as an inflated feeling of pride in your superiority to others or Your consciousness of your own identity ?

Arthi
18th April 2006, 06:00 PM
Rightly said pradeep. We need to do self analysis. We need to search answer from within.
One fine day you will get the answer for all your doubts. This is also from my experience am telling. Before I never used to believe this karma. I used to feel there is nothing called KARMA.. what we sow we reap it in the same Janma I used to feel. But suddenly on one good day God taught me a lesson slowly started believing this KARMA.
Likewise we will get answer for all our queries.we need patience for that. This what so far I have learnt.
You should keep on analysing about your doubts, nature will reveal/ make it visible one day.

Arthi
18th April 2006, 06:01 PM
EGO ! are we discussing this ego as an inflated feeling of pride in your superiority to others or Your consciousness of your own identity ?

Yes go through my post... I have noted abt ego

pradheep
18th April 2006, 06:04 PM

This type of ego is just one of the attribute of the Ego. The Ego I mention is the root cause of problems and sufferings. Buddha describes the one aspect of the Ego in the form of desire, which he considered is the root cause of all diseases.

The Ego that we understand in our Vedic scriptures is the wrong identification. When we do not identify with our true nature , that is Ego. It is difficult to understand unless you pay attention to it.

Ego's chief energy source is through fear. Fear is the means to strengthen the identification of Ego. This Ego is the cause for wars. Because of Ego in the form of fear causes wars and suffering to others. Thousands ofchildren arekilled and suffeing because of wars and bomb blast which is because of fear (Ego). The same fear is also the cause of the nasty ritual that our friend Raghu has posted. Nice to see you my dear Raghu.

pradheep
18th April 2006, 06:08 PM
Dear Bingleguy
May be this written material may throw some light on your doubts.

http://sakthifoundation.org/conflict.htm

bingleguy
19th April 2006, 09:49 AM
Thanks Pradeep ....

bingleguy
19th April 2006, 09:50 AM
The example of the blind king serving the ego prince was a timely n correct depiction !

Lambretta
19th April 2006, 02:28 PM
Wow! Brilliant explanation Pradheep, thank u! :D
Cleared an old doubt of mine too, wich I'd forgottn abt until I saw ur post! :D

Arthi
8th May 2006, 10:53 AM
Can anyone tell me in detail about Vichitraveeryan story?
Why Lord Krishna Hide the sun for a short period of time?

Raghu
8th May 2006, 02:54 PM
This has been annoying me years, could some one explain why this does not happen in Temples!!

1) In Churches on every Sunday prayers, they read at least 1 verse or topic from the Bible and is explained- I have been to churches many times, so I know this happens!

2) In Mosques, they read verses from Koran (pardon my spelling) and is explained.

But in our temples??????

Ayer will chant some Mantra ins Sanskrit, and ppl would say Siva Siva, Ishwara, Give me this , give me that, I want to indulge my self in material and would happily walk out of the temples, without any clues about the rituals they follow in the temples. 90% of these people have not got any ideas about Vedic scriptures Like Periya Puran, Shivapurana, Bhavad Gita etc etc,.

Isn't about time, our learned Iyers or Preachers, Preach such Vedic Scriptures on a daily basis during or after each Pooja time?, this is ONE of the reason, y many Hindus are extremely ignorant and lost about Hinduism, these also led to many diverting from Hinduism to other faiths!

bingleguy
8th May 2006, 03:05 PM
True Raghu ... but i seek some time to respond to ur query !

Btw, u had requested about Appudhi adigal in Nayanmars thread ... :-) i ve given some details !

Arthi
8th May 2006, 03:11 PM
True Raghu ... but i seek some time to respond to ur query !

Btw, u had requested about Appudhi adigal in Nayanmars thread ... :-) i ve given some details !
Cld u plz give the link.(nayanmaar thread)

bingleguy
8th May 2006, 03:21 PM
Sure Arthi !
http://www.mayyam.com/hub/viewtopic.php?t=4611

dsath
8th May 2006, 03:50 PM
[tscii:64c99482b0]
This has been annoying me years, could some one explain why this does not happen in Temples!!

Ayer will chant some Mantra ins Sanskrit, and ppl would say Siva Siva, Ishwara, Give me this , give me that, I want to indulge my self in material and would happily walk out of the temples, without any clues about the rituals they follow in the temples. 90% of these people have not got any ideas about Vedic scriptures Like Periya Puran, Shivapurana, Bhavad Gita etc etc,.

Isn't about time, our learned Iyers or Preachers, Preach such Vedic Scriptures on a daily basis during or after each Pooja time?, this is ONE of the reason, y many Hindus are extremely ignorant and lost about Hinduism, these also led to many diverting from Hinduism to other faiths!

I don't claim to be an expert in these things, but this is my interpretation (may be completely wrong).

Christianity and Islam are monotheist religions, where as Hinduism is not.

C & I ‘s holy books are actually the words of God, a set of rules that need to be followed by a believer. They are quiet hard and fast rules and that’s the reason why if you follow it word for word u can be labeled as extremist. Moreover Bible was initially available only in Latin and the common people have to rely on the priest for knowing what their God said. It was heretic to translate the bible in the past. Same is the case with Islam. A select group of people have to pass on the message of God to the commons.

In contrast Hinduism is more of a culture rather than religion comparable to the ancient Greek, Roman and Egyptian (who all had their own religion). Hinduism is not a word of God and there are no hard and fast rules laid by any God (may be humans but not God), that need interpretation or explanation. Its molded together by rich mythology with colourful characters. Children are brought up with bed time stories of various God’s adventures (like Ramayanam and Mahabharatham) and the follower's don't have to rely on someone to pass on what God want them to do (Gita may be an exception). We used to have so many story recitals describing the incidents in various God’s life (esp Murugan in TN) in Temples. Sadly it’s a dying art.

Even if you were to read some holy book in the Temple, what book would you read. There are so many. :)
[/tscii:64c99482b0]

Arthi
8th May 2006, 03:51 PM
Bingle am from Thingalur only :D :roll:

blogGreen88
8th May 2006, 06:07 PM
This is a good talking about the oil lamps (http://www.apdc.info/s-oil-lamps.html)!!I learn a lot more about oil lamps here,I like it.
I search Yahoo for long time and find here.By the way I found some content on another website (http://www.apdc.info) about it.Also,you can find some other on it,such as umzugsunternehmen (http://www.apdc.info/s-umzugsunternehmen.html) or wheelchair ramps (http://www.apdc.info/s-wheelchair-ramps.html) or hospedaje web (http://www.apdc.info/s-hospedaje-web.html).
LOL!Good job and go on talking plz,boys :)

Arthi
9th May 2006, 09:10 AM
Hi green welcome to this thread :)

Lambretta
9th May 2006, 10:01 AM
But in our temples??????

Ur very right, Raghu ji! Yes, this is mainly y our ppl. hav a low opinion abt our religion....most of even those who study the Gita dont know the meaning/significance of thee verses! Is jus like studying school-books!
Tats another reason y I stopped visiting temples too......'cos therz nothing I cud really learn from ther! :(
I only go to Ramakrishna Math & ther its much better! They conduct a spiritual retreat every month & even every sunday we go for Yoga, followed by a 1/2 hr of chanting hymns wher the 'swamiji' explains/talks abt the vedas/upanishads/gita slokas etc.....

bingleguy
9th May 2006, 10:05 AM
I don't claim to be an expert in these things, but this is my interpretation (may be completely wrong).

No one s perfect dsath ! We appreciate ur step forward !

In contrast Hinduism is more of a culture rather than religion
Excellent :clap:

Nowadays ;-) even mantras are recited in Thamizh here ! for the sake of better understanding !
Here Raghu, i would say, we should be keeping our mind in a steady state n be in dhyanam seeing only the LORD, the supremo ! Other materialistic thoughts shld not go into our mind ! we shld concentrate on the prime matter of the temple ! Here everything is for the lord himself n we have to be mere beings there ! We should never ask for anything from the LORD, do this ... do that ! Even if u r genuine... ask for the mind to remember him always !
The rituals are not understood just becoz there is no hard n fast rule that u have to learn or hear them ... whilst in I and C, tis not this way ! We hardly have interest on those ! If u would have observed, some ppl ask the priest to explain the sthala puranam and the priest also says that along with his routine puja ! In many temples this is followed !
It all lies in our hands, to learn something, to believe something !

How many have the patience to hear what they preach ! all the more there are veda pata shalas for this purpose only ! and n fact there are so many kalashepams which they used to recite all these facts ... but nowadays there are less of such kinds and how many go to that with the mind of learning ! Most of the time,ppl lose patience and look at their watch and keep thinking about their Cinema plan after visiting the temple ... Oh, ticket kodukka aaramichiruppan, oh koota irukkum ! Ppl shld know to differentiate this from all others !
Ppl shld understand the prime motive of learning ! and shld encourage ppl doing that ! HINDUISMs preachings are very vast .... n sometimes the crowd is overflowing at times, that u may not have time to recite scriptures n all while doing regular poojas ...

infact the recital itself (mantras) speak a lot ! we never concentrate on that !

Learning shld form a part of life n not just a recital in temple !

devapriya
9th May 2006, 10:16 AM
Friends,

In Hindu worship of Gods We Use
1.Beetal Leaves(Verrilai)
2. Beetal nuts (Pakku)
3.Cocunut( Thengai)
4.Plantain Fruit (Vazai Pazam)

If one could notice these None of these Plants grow out of Seeds left out after eating (Such as Mango)

Cleanliness is their in Day to day Pooja by order.

Devapriya

bingleguy
9th May 2006, 10:22 AM
:clap: Devapriya !

Welcome to this thread !

Share ur experiences, thoughts and beliefs with us !

Arthi
9th May 2006, 11:20 AM
It is in our hand to know the meaning of our rituals we follow in our day today life.
Hinduism is not a religion... it is a way of life. The main difference between other religions and ours is ... Hinduism does not have a single founder.
In our religion also we follow unity in diversity. yes those who live in Tamilnadu is also a hindu and same gose with the people living in other states. We differ even by culture, the way we perform our pooja the archtectural style of the temple.
In our side I mean TN we have meaning for the gopuras in temple.The sane style cann't be seen in all over India.
Here in North India ladies cover their head with their sarees, which south Indian people don't do.
That why in Hinduism there is no strict rules and such rules cann't be defined also.
On the other hand if we consider chiristianity/Islam they have only one scared book...
Hinduism is an ocean, we can try to learn as mush as possible and crystalize our understanding about our religion/the rituals we follow

Arthi
9th May 2006, 11:21 AM
DeviPriya good... Today I learn one thing from you, nice explanation :)

dsath
9th May 2006, 02:39 PM

I think cleanliness should be in the mind against the body.
This obsession towards cleanliness has fueled many social evils that exist in our society today. :(

bingleguy
9th May 2006, 02:43 PM
Cleanliness if full if tis there in BOTH !
Physical cleanliness is equally important to mental !

Well dsath can u elaborate ur say on the obsession !

dsath
9th May 2006, 03:01 PM
Hi BG,
I do agree with you. Cleanliness is very important and i am comfortable with that idea. We have different ideas for cleanliness in Hinduism.

Washing the feet before entering the temple - good idea. :thumbsup:

Performing pooja with the fruit that grows from a seed (of a fruit eaten by someone), becomes uncleanly offering to God - ridiculous. :x

How can a whole tree and its fruit become uncleanly?

bingleguy
9th May 2006, 03:08 PM
Actually that is just a practice !

Dont we use other fruits for neivedhiyam ? we do , we offer everything to God at home before we eat ! here the ones mentioned together form a good one !

infact not all mango trees come from strewn mango seeds, do they ?

Once the seed comes in contact with Water, all the otherwise stuffs vanishes, n it is purified to become another full fledged useful thing - tree !

Water has the capacity of purifying anything !

dsath
9th May 2006, 03:19 PM
BG,
Why should the seed be considered uncleanly in the first place?

bingleguy
9th May 2006, 03:24 PM
I wont say that unclean .... just i mentioned for those seeds which are strewn by humans ! which was here mentioned as unclean !

Cleanliness has a very strong meaning !

dsath
9th May 2006, 03:30 PM
I was referring to the post below. Devapriya has explained that some products we use for workship are clean as opposed to Mango. And my question is why should we consider Mango seed unclean?

Friends,

In Hindu worship of Gods We Use
1.Beetal Leaves(Verrilai)
2. Beetal nuts (Pakku)
3.Cocunut( Thengai)
4.Plantain Fruit (Vazai Pazam)

If one could notice these None of these Plants grow out of Seeds left out after eating (Such as Mango)

Devapriya

bingleguy
9th May 2006, 03:35 PM
Guess as it was strewn by human after eating the mango pulp, she is mentioning it as unclean !

Sudhaama
9th May 2006, 10:22 PM

1) In Churches on every Sunday prayers, they read at least 1 verse or topic from the Bible and is explained- I have been to churches many times, so I know this happens!

2) In Mosques, they read verses from Koran (pardon my spelling) and is explained.

But in our temples??????

Unlike the other WORLD-RELIGIONS....the Vedic-Reigion, so called Hinduism is the ....ONLY RELIGION...

...which liberally offers WIDE CHOICES to the followers...GIVING FULL FREEDOM of worship.

...by ways of Forms or Formless.... Mode of Worship... Choice of Deity... as well as Way of approach.. etc..

In general... in all other Religions especially in Christianity and Islam, every prayer is meant for the sake of the devotees assembled at the moment... at that specific place of Worship.... be it a church or Mosque... or such Holy place of assembly..

Indeed Holy Kopran says... any spot, the devotee may select as his place of worship, becomes holy... deserving for inviting Allah. for grace.

But the Hindu Temples are considered as the holiest for worship... since it has bneen sanctified by Manthras... especially the main deities in the Sanctum-Sactorum (Garbha-Griham).

Vedic Rituals stipulate daily prayers along with other allied services to the deities...in a particular manner and mode as applicable to the elevant deity... PRAISING AND PLEASING... seeking the Divine Grace...

... for the General Well-being of the Society... ON BEHALF OF THE ENTIRE SOCIETY...

...irrespective of the People or Devotees assembled at that Temple... at that time..

Here the meanings of the Manthras are IRRELEVANT for the Devotees...

...as is the case of the name of the Medicine for a Patient...

...Nothing OTHER THAN THE RESULT... so to say the REMEDIAL-CURE.

The Lecture-elaborations, Discourses and preachings based on Puranas, Holy Scriptures of Devotional and Moral values,..

.. such as Ramayana, Mahabharatha, Bhagawatham, Siva-puranam, Peria puranam, Divya Prabhandam etc....

...are practiced at other specific locations within the precincts of the Temples as well as in other public places too.

So to mean.. in case of Vedic Religion, Hinduism... the places of Worship are separated from the Preaching Hall...

...so as to maintain Peace of Worship at one place BY MEANS OF SOUL...

...and at the Lecture Hall... caling for understanding BY MEANS OF WISDOM..

Every Religion is the DIVINE PATH...propogated by different Prophets, Messengers of God....

...ORDAINED BY ONE GOD... intended for the Emancipation of Humanity..

...ultimately guiding the Devotee towards one and the same God common for Mankind....

...as all the Rivers reach ONE OCEAN... says Hinduism.

Every Religion has got its own way... We should not compare which one is better or not.

Nor try to evaluate the Comparative Merits and Demerits of any Religion or Faith...

... since We are TOO SMALL AND UNQUALIFIED to comment or EVEN PERCEIVE... Radically or Properly.

" By the DUBIOUS approach of dilemma... you will REACH NOWHERE... nor your purpose of Devotion can be ensured nor can will fetch you any beneficial Result

Hence You choose anyone of the various Divine-paths STIPULATED CLEARLY...

You must try to understand well...on that chosen path ONLY..

....and strictly ADHERE TO IT ONLY... without indulging and confusing yourselves with alien paths."

...So declare the Vedic Scriptures.....especially Bhagawad Geetha.

S.Balaji
9th May 2006, 11:16 PM
Dear Mr. Sudhama

Sorry if I have digressed your existing discussion on another aspect......

I have a query on THARPANAM....

I know ,this is being done by sons during Amaavasai and also on some special days.....
besides on an annual basis, Maahalaya paksham period also, its being done....

The son offers Ellu and water to the 3 generations prior to him ( both father side and mother side )

Is it a faith that the ancestors are supposed to visit us on invisible mode and accept our offer ?

Now my main query is .....

Is it not the Hindu faith that after the death, the soul moves over to another body and gets a new birth....

in such a case, our ancestors have already moved to another lease of life ...next birth....

WHY ARE WE OFFERING TIL AND WATER THEN ?

Please enlighten me .......

srivatsan
9th May 2006, 11:26 PM
Dear Mr. Sudhama

Is it not the Hindu faith that after the death, the soul moves over to another body and gets a new birth....

in such a case, our ancestors have already moved to another lease of life ...next birth....

Sorry if I had intruded....This is what shd be the reason.....

The time a soul shd spend in Pithru Lokam (Swargam or Narakam) depends on its karma and it may be for few years there...Please note that 1 day in Pithru Lokam is 1 year in Bhoolokam....So it goes to the Pithrus....when they are enjoying (or repenting) their karma Phalam....

Sudhaama
10th May 2006, 05:13 AM
Mother,Father,Teacher & God: Non-Return Recipients !!!

Dear Mr. Sudhama

Sorry if I had intruded....This is what shd be the reason.....

The time a soul shd spend in Pithru Lokam (Swargam or Narakam) depends on its karma and it may be for few years there...Please note that 1 day in Pithru Lokam is 1 year in Bhoolokam....So it goes to the Pithrus....when they are enjoying (or repenting) their karma Phalam....

Maathru Devo Bhava....Pithru-Devo Bhava.. Acharya Devo Bhava...

...So declare Upanishads.... meaning ..

.."Oh Mother, You be my God ( Let me treat so)... Oh Father You be my God...Oh Acharya, You Be my God."

In Life, in all other respects, we perform or work in anticipation of the due Result or Price or Value in return for each and every act and deed. from us to the benefit of others.

But the EXCEPTIONS ARE FOUR CASES.. Mother, Father, Guru and God.

..Wherefor we are expected to... GIVE... DO..and .PERFORM only..

...as a matter of... BINDING COMMITMENT... as an INDEBTEDNESS ...by our previous births.

Yes...the Souls to whom we are INDEBTED in our previous births... take REIBIRTHS as our Mother, Father and Acharya ...

..to RECEDIVE their dues... alongside clearing off their previous Birth-commitment of SHAPING US FIT FOR THIS BIRTH ..

... towards advancement in this Birth as well as for our After-Life.

So the Sasthras assert... under any circumstances, every Man must take care of these FOUR SUPER BEINGS IN THE HUMAN-FORMS...

...during and after their Lives on Earth... too.

After the death of ones parents...the Son performs the Anthima- Karmas for 12 days... (which Manthras and sense have deep meaning which I will elaborate later)

...Thus the son makes his parents reach ..Mukthi or Moksha-lokam

...where anybody who reaches, becomes Demi-God... powerful enough to shower grace.

But such souls ... residing with God, need NO FOOD ...NOR ANY NECESSITIES for themselves..

But as we offer Food and Services ... to God ... although He does not need them nor seek from us... we are bound to offer to our such Demi-Gods too..

.... as a commitmnent in our present birth...through Tharpana and Srardha.

But ONE IMPORTANT POINT. These Karmas are linked with ones occupation.

Brahmins Karmanushtanas are different and more than for others.

Here Brahmin, I mean ...NOT BY BIRTH... but by the Earthly Occupation or Profession.

So to say a VAIDHEEKA BRAHMIN... must adopt in practice such Anushtanas to ensure his Soul-Sanctity...

...ensuring his constant fitness to perform his Vaidheekic duties like Chanting Vedas, Temple poojas and allied Orthodox services, Performing Yaga Yagjnas Homas and the like activities directly linked with God or Transcendental Services..

So a Brahmin-born working as an Engineer or Doctor or a Clerk... or some such NON-VAIDHEEKA OCCUPATIONS... are the Deemed-Soodras... irrespective of birth. and ancestry.

And so he NEED NOT BE ORTHODOX as a Brahmin... by performing Daily Sandhyavandanas, Monthly Tharpanas etc... just because of his birth in that community.

But irrespective of community of birth... every Hindu is ordained to perform Srardha annually.. to his parents..

...if not on the specific day, at least on the Mahalaya Amawasya day ..

. by offering food to the DESERVING GUEST... WHO MUST BE A CLEAN DEVOTEE...rendering services to God EXCLUSIVELY.

Here only comes the difference between AIYAM and PICHAI in Tamil..

... Aiyam is an Unsought Honour .. Voluntarily offered to a God-serviceman ...

..Whereas Pichai is in return for Begging....sought for.

So .. even just remembering ones parents at least once a year.

... on their Annual days and praying for our welfare... EXPRESSING OUR GRATITUDE

...has its due Values and high Earthly worth.... AS ORDAINED BY VEDIC DHARMA.

"DHARMO RAKSHATHI... RAKSHITHAHA"... Say Sasthras... meaning..

.. Dharmas protect in return to those who protect Dharmas.

S.Balaji
10th May 2006, 12:41 PM
Thank you very much Mr. Sudhama .......

You have given an extensive reasoning....

thanks once again

Sudhaama
22nd May 2006, 02:30 AM
...Concept behind the Rituals on the LAST JOURNEY

Body treatment

When a man's Earthly-life comes to an end, his Soul leaves the Body... and he is deemed dead.

...but as per Vedhic stipulations, the Soul is not allowed to proceed free with its own colour whatever it might have earned during his mundane life...

...but PURIFIED... rather SANCTIFIED enough to gain Mukthi... Liberation from Rebirths further..

....attaining the ULTIMATE GOAL of the Last birth as Mankind.

Thus the Soul gets qualified to enter the God's abode...by means of Rituals, ...

...leading either to Siva-lokam or Vaikuntam.. as the person prefers and seeks during his last days.

How is the last journey of the Man (Member of Mankind)... by Body plus Soul...is spiritually treated through Rituals?

When the purpose of the Body...a Vehicle for the Soul...is over, resulting in the Soul leaving it... that Body is no more needed.

So such an unwanted Vehicle has to be disposed off in a Sacred manner. How?

Vedhic philosophy asserts that the Human-body is a Complex form of multiple ingredients from Pancha-Bhoothas.

... shaped by Brahma by the admixture of respective ingredients from the Five elements of Nature, viz. Earth, Air,Water, Fire and Sky.

So, after death such of the Body-contents are returned to the respective Pancha-boothas through rituals on the first two days of Anthima-Karma, immediately after demise.

First it is placed on the ground in contact with Earth... chanting Manthras, which mean...

..." Oh the Great Mother Earth, please permit me to perform the sacred process of disposing this body, for which you were the prime mother...since have received it on your bosom... fed it by food and water.. and GROWN IT to full shape... and nourished upto this final day.... So with gratitude I am hereby placing it on your lap. Please receive first"

Then it is given bath... by contact with water...first part of returning to that 2nd Bhootha Element of Nature.

The Sons and Relatives accompany the body to the Cremation ground... and give send-off to it there.

But NOT HIS WIFE...who gives SEND OFF to her Husband's body... at the House-front yard itself... and does not leave the house...

...because her husband STILL LIVES WITH HER...in the same house.. although INVISIBLE... and she has NOT YET BECOME A WIDOW...

Wife is the Only person INSEPARABLE from her husband until the last moment, he may live in any form...by Soul with or without body.

Then the body is cremated... surrendered to Fire, the 3rd of the Pancha-bhootha element of Nature..

...alongside to Wind and Sky also through Smoke.

On the second day called SANJAYANA...the ash is mixed with water...by total surrender ..

...ensuring the Body-disposal -process by return of all the Ingredients to the respective Bhoothas.

There ends the FINAL DISPOSAL of THE BODY... called Dead.

Soul-services on Earth.

By death although Scientifically it is considered that the Soul has gone for ever, from the moment he is dead...because the Soul has left the body...

...the Vedhic faith does not declare so...But that the Soul RESIDES WITHIN THE SAME HOUSE...

...where it got separated from its erstwhile Carrier, so callled Body..

So on the second day of starting the Karmas, the soul is SANCTIFIED by manthras...

after instilling it in a piece of Stone placed in the midst of loose earth, ...located within the same house normally.

Rather for the family, it is treated as a sacred SPIRIT.. worthy for rituals towards its final goal...

For ten days, the Son or any other authorised Substitute performs the rituals by Abhishekam... pouring water on this Sanctified Stone instilled with Soul...

...appealing to God, through the respective Acharya or the Religious Guru of the family...

...to GRANT MUKTHI / MOKSHA / LIBERATION from rebirths... by purifying the Soul FREE FROM SINS AND VIRTUES.

During that period of 10 days, the SOUL IS ALIVE ...spending time with its erstwhile relatives and friends by bondage.

Even though the 12 day period is of mourning by practical sense...
...Philosophically and Ritually.... it is not so

... since the Vedhic faith means it as a holy ceremony and rituals for Emancipation of the Departed soul .. towards its Ultimate destination.

The 10 day period is the last opportunity for all the Soul-related persons... as a Team association

... to spend time with the invisible Soul.. being the final part of its Earthly life ...

...by thinking unitedly on the Soul, sharing and exchanging the Reminiscenses, dining together by feasts offered by the Sons, Daughters, Grand- daughters and other Blood-relations.

On the 10th day called Dhasaaham or Paththu...in fact it is PATRU... the Soul gets prepared to leave off all the Earthly Life bondage.. INCLUDING ITS ATTACHMENT with one and all...

... materially and personally.... including the WORDLY ATTACHMENT ... so called PATRU in Tamil.

That is the final day of LAST FEAST for the Soul along with all the Kith and Kin.... Who give Final send-off to the Soul.

Rather the Soul enjoys dining with his well-wishers on his last day on Earth....10th day, prior to upward journey.

Through manthras the Soul gets separated from the stone ...since it has been purified enough free from all Karmas..

...and brought into an Abstract form enabling to proceed towards the Spiritual world.

Then it gets prepared to depart by the night of 10th day.

At the midnight hour when the Soul leaves the house, his wife gives her SOLITARY SEND OFF...

...asserting her willingness for the husband's permanent departure from her....

...by accepting her widow-hood.by removing the Thali (Thirumaangalyam)

She foregoes jewels, flowers and other decorations as a mark of her declaration that her beauty in any manner belongs to her husband only... and not required for anybody else... INCLUDING HERSELF.

..since already dedicated so that the wife along with all sorts of her personal possessions including beauty had become the exclusive PROPERTIES OF HER HUSBAND ... by marriage.

Some women used to get their heads totally shaved, and wear Saintly clothes, during widow-hood... as a mark of total Sacrifice for her husband.

But such gestures of extreme dedication by the wife, are not stipulated by Sasthras...

... but only the VOLUNTARY OFFER... from the individual concerned

... or as a matter of following the General custom of the relevant community

Such a Sacrifice cannot be forced nor demanded by others as the stipulated Religious- code...

...since the Sasthras have given adequate freedom to the wife to act as per her own free will.

Soul-journey towards Bliss

11th day. .. OTRAN...The soul is on the way... SOLITARILY ... hence called Otran...towards the higher abode ofMukthi-lokam/ Bliss
... Srardha is performed to the Soul as food... along with the Sons prayer to God for allowing his father reach the destination safely.

12th day - SAPINDI (Colloqually Savandi).."Pindi" means the Souls of Relatives who had already reached the Pithru-lokam. "Sa-Pindi" means..."Together with the Relative-Souls. Thus the soul gets associated with his Well-wisher elders in Pithru-lokam

13th day - GRAHA-YAGJNAM (Colloqually Gregyam) or SUBHA-SWEEKAARAM / THIRU-ADHYAYANAM (Thiruvadhyaanam).. Happy day.of celebration since the Soul has reached its Final destination...

From this day the house is treated as Mangala sanctified and so yaga yagjnas and Homas are celebrated. Punya-pravachanas like Ramayana is recited... as also Vedha chanted. New clothes worn.

Finally the Kula-dheywam deity at the local temple is worshipped by the family jointly...

.. as a Symbolic Gratitude for granting SALVATION.... for the Soul...

... Ultimate SUCCESS ON THE PURPOSE of Super-birth as Mankind !!!

Arthi
31st May 2006, 01:55 PM
Kovil-la kaatra deepatha kannula eduthu othikkaradhu right or wrong?

I read somewhere that we should not do like that, so whenever I go to temple am a bit confused whether to accept the deepam or not...
I have noticed some people even my relatives also kannula Othikaradhu ella... why it is so?

please clarify

bingleguy
31st May 2006, 02:02 PM
First deepam othikardhu edhukku appadinnu yosi Arthi ! then u ll get the answer for this !

hi
31st May 2006, 02:16 PM
- Is it true after visiting temples we are suppose to go home.. directly.. or else puniyam will go to the place we visit?

I don't believe in this.. can sumone enlighten?

And also why friday is consider more auspicious than other days in a week?

dsath
31st May 2006, 02:18 PM
Actually its not the deepam, but the sudam that is meant to be smelt. We had a book called 'Arthamulla Hindu matham' at our home. My dad used to read such things (the funny thing is that he is an atheist :) ).
In that book i remember reading that smelling the sudam is good and the gesture of kannula Othikaradhu was actually meant for your nose.
Whenever we went to temples or had poojas at home my father used to inhale the smoke from the sudam (mukkula Othikaradhu) and this used to freak my mom out. :lol:
Sudam sure has good medicinal properties. When u have a cold, dissolve some sudam in warm oil and apply to your nose. It has the same effect as vicks, helps clear the nasal block. Its effective for small children esp when they are less than a year old and you don't want to use chemicals.

bingleguy
31st May 2006, 02:30 PM
- Is it true after visiting temples we are suppose to go home.. directly.. or else puniyam will go to the place we visit?

I don't believe in this.. can sumone enlighten?

And also why friday is consider more auspicious than other days in a week?

When we are inside a temple, we are exposed to a kind of radiation, a kind of vibration, which only our atman feels ! you can feel it when u come nearer to the garbha graham !

This radiation before it gets fully absorbed into our body will encover us for some time ! that time our body releases some energy or vibration unknowingly ... that radiation again is the same radiation that is felt inside the temple ... adhu naala dhaan veetukku poganumnnu solluvanga ! to share that radiation to the place u live :-)

u can also hear ppl saying not to go for nature call or wash ur legs immediately after coming from temple, do u know why ????

hi
31st May 2006, 02:42 PM
u can also hear ppl saying not to go for nature call or wash ur legs immediately after coming from temple, do u know why ????

correct reason therilae bingle

Sudhaama
5th June 2006, 04:02 AM
Significance of ANGA-PRADHAKSHINAM in Temples

- Is it true after visiting temples we are suppose to go home.. directly.. or else puniyam will go to the place we visit? I don't believe in this.. can sumone enlighten?

The whole Temple is sanctified by Manthras applicable to that Specific deity and so when we prostrate at any one place fetches the due result to the devotee....

... but the efficacy is maximum when worshipped at the stipulated locations... in front of Dwaja Sthambam, In front of Garbha-griham and the like.

Since God regards His devotees very highly... even their Feet-dusts gets sanctified while they walk in the Temple, especially in the Praakaaram for Pradhakshinam (Circumambulation)...

Such sanctification is further enhanced when the Uthsavar deity passes through the same path.

So, we consider such dusts are sacred for us...

...while we deem ourselves the MOST INSIGNIFICANT OF THE LEAST VALUE before God....

...as much as the one amongst the billions of dust-particles on Earth....

While performing Anga-pradhakshinam, by lying flat on the floor as also by rolling our body under wet condition...

... we gather the maximum content of dust from the floor.... adhered to our body....

.... and in that process we perform the Arpana of ourselves by total Surrender to God with a prayer...

..."Oh God, I am worst amongst the dusts on this Earth. ...especially due to my Ignorance on Life and God's path... So I have committed lot of Sins during the previous births as well as the current one.....

... So kindly forgive me for all the Sins I might have committed so far knowingly or unknowingly....

...Let these particles of dust from the Feet of your devotees, which I am accumulating over my body... purify my soul. Oh God I surrender. Kindly Pardon me"

Similarly when we walk within the Temple, the dusts accumulated on our feet, are considered holy and sanctified. ... which cleanses our sins and adds Punhyam to us.

So we preserve it to reach our Home... for spreading sanctity in our Residence too. Hence we do not wash our feet on return from temples.

Opposite is the case when we return from the Cremation-ground, which sinful-dusts have to be washed off and eliminated before entering the house.

The purpose of entering the Temple without Footwear is to avoid the dirty and sinful Street-dusts into the Temple...

...which pollutes the Holy-dust there.... as also vitiates the Sanctity.

Even when we enter barefooted we wash our feet prior to entry into the Temple... only on this reasoning.

Sanguine Sridhar
5th June 2006, 05:23 AM

I am not sure about reason as in Hindu religion routine.But actual fact was that long back since there was no electricty and by eating food at evening/nights was not that advisable as you may consume insects or other unwanted stuffs!

You should not cut your finger nails in this time..is also for the same reason.You might hurt your finger!!

Sanguine Sridhar
5th June 2006, 05:32 AM
What my doubt was... see i want to do prayer & am using those sages scriptures to do my prayer. What my doubt is, these works are done my those ppl in order to achieve something/ get something from GOD. am also using the same thing. is that right?

<but one thing I have to accept here that GOD has not given me such power to compose sloka on my own :cry: >

To be fair Manthras will give you a huge amount of power and positive vibrations.But you don need to learn others sages scriptures rather use your own manthram.Even the word "Om" or "Om Namachi Vaaya" or "Hare Rama Hare Rama,Rama Rama Hare Hare" Tell these things in a perfect silence around 100 times thinking about your fav God.This is enuf! And IMHO you don need others Hi-Fi Manthras or sages scriptures.

Sanguine Sridhar
5th June 2006, 05:38 AM
A quick question from me !

Normally we have heard that on some day we shld not cut our nails or hair - say for instance we are not supposed to cut our nails on saturday -

Once what happ is "I was seeing my friend removing his nails on a saturday n i told him do not do that ! he replied back asking why ? i told him today s saturday, good day, do not remove this !
he replied "Nails are bad, they shld not be growing for a long time, so why shld not we do something good(removing the bad nails) on a good day !

I was not able to answer back ........

What do u all think about this ?

Actual reason was..during some special days(Not sure saturday :roll: ) you are MAKING God understand that you are not thinking about yourself(I.e.,Your smartness,beauty or whatever) and you are dedicating the whole day for your lord.It is almost like fasting.Same reason applicable for not cutting your hair on Tuesdays/Fridays!!

Sanguine Sridhar
5th June 2006, 05:44 AM
Not all are mythological !

There shld be a reason for the same ... there are certain things like thodai ya thatradhu which ppl shld do only during deaths (amangalam) so we say do not do such things in normal times ....

does it mean that it is a myth ?

The person who brought this law might be alergical to the noise of patting thighs.There is no big reason for this!!

Sanguine Sridhar
5th June 2006, 05:53 AM
Bell WHICH is mainly for catching attention,

Normally temple was constructed in almost all the streets in a city.When they are about to do pooja they will hit the bell just to call the people of that village/place to participate in it.

It's same like "Thandora"...

Sanguine Sridhar
5th June 2006, 05:58 AM

Good/Bad everything is on the basis of your brought-up!! If your mom/dad says "Hey this is good or this is bad"...Eventhough it is Bad or Good, you will say its good and bad.....

Sanguine Sridhar
5th June 2006, 06:04 AM
One should know how to control his/her ego. Saying is easy. We should not be an egoistic. But we should need some means to pass our Ego out. if we keep on suppressing our Ego it will burst out one day which is also dangerous. It is like our anger only. In a proper way we should let out our ego also. Here am talking about ego like self pride like sort of thing.
By doing Japam and keep on assuring ourself that am not a doer of my action we can control our ego.

But even our history says that even God has ego!! Siva/Paarvathi,Vinayaga/Murugan,Vishnu/Brahma!!

Kadavuley ippadi yendral adiyen yemaathiram? :) Can you explain this thangachi?

Sanguine Sridhar
5th June 2006, 06:09 AM

But in our temples??????

Raguji,
Tell me one thing!! In India point out a Non-Hindu person saying that all Lord or all religon are equal?? Only hindus will speak like this...Christianity was brought up in the hands of money filled countries..but Hinduism?? Kindly think!!

Sanguine Sridhar
5th June 2006, 06:19 AM
I am not sure whether i can ask this question here...

*How do you categorize Veg and Non-Veg foods? IMO even so called Veg foods are non-veg foods.Take drumstick! You eat both flesh and seed.Tell me onething do we arrest the growth of a plant by eating the seeds?If that so..will it affect your karma? You eat rice..literally speaking even a rice is an egg?? Kindly justify me!

* Why we need to sit for a while after we finish 'Darisanam' at Kovil? Is it for relaxing yourself or whether you are showing God that nothing is more important than him?

ramky
5th June 2006, 08:00 AM
I am not sure whether i can ask this question here...

* Why we need to sit for a while after we finish 'Darisanam' at Kovil? Is it for relaxing yourself or whether you are showing God that nothing is more important than him?

IMO, when we stay for some time in a Temple or similar Holy place, all our thoughts get focussed on the idol of the God or Goddess in that temple.
We start absorbing the Divine vibrations ingrained in the Deity ( idol ) at the temple, either consciously or without our knowledge. And after that, we need some time to internalise this vibration, and then gradually come back to the normal world of mundane existence.

Arthi
9th June 2006, 12:37 PM
Actual reason was..during some special days(Not sure saturday :roll: ) you are MAKING God understand that you are not thinking about yourself(I.e.,Your smartness,beauty or whatever) and you are dedicating the whole day for your lord.It is almost like fasting.Same reason applicable for not cutting your hair on Tuesdays/Fridays!!
It is not at all necessary that u should make GOD understand that we are not thinking abt ourself.
He is a supreme power, we should realise him and not vice versa.
we should concentrate about God, focus our thoughts towards GOD.

Arthi
9th June 2006, 12:55 PM
To be fair Manthras will give you a huge amount of power and positive vibrations.But you don need to learn others sages scriptures rather use your own manthram.Even the word "Om" or "Om Namachi Vaaya" or "Hare Rama Hare Rama,Rama Rama Hare Hare" Tell these things in a perfect silence around 100 times thinking about your fav God.This is enuf! And IMHO you don need others Hi-Fi Manthras or sages scriptures.
I too agree with you reciting mantras gives you huge anount of power & +ve vibrations :)
But how can u say that reciting other mantras is not necessary.
Each mantra has its own significance
for example if we take GAYATRI MANTRA

It is considered one of the most universal of all Hindu mantras, invoking the universal Brahman as the principle of knowledge and the illumination of the primordial Sun...

My view is we should recite atleast RAM RAM only if we have no time, otherwise everyone should devote a qualified time for prayer :)
If we learn a new mantra/sloka we improve our knowledge about God which is very essential to liberate this body.
Our affection/love/premai towards the GOD will improve if & only if we read/know more about God...
In such case reciting only RAMRAM is not sufficient

Arthi
9th June 2006, 01:06 PM

Good/Bad everything is on the basis of your brought-up!! If your mom/dad says "Hey this is good or this is bad"...Eventhough it is Bad or Good, you will say its good and bad.....

I feel Good/ bad is not based on our upbringing... Now a days no children wld accept whatever their parents say.

children ask/should ask parents so many questions & unless the reason/explanation is satisfactory, how wld the children accept whatever his/her parents say :)

Sometimes even parents might be wrong, we need to enlighten them :)

Arthi
9th June 2006, 01:13 PM

But even our history says that even God has ego!! Siva/Paarvathi,Vinayaga/Murugan,Vishnu/Brahma!!
Kadavuley ippadi yendral adiyen yemaathiram? :) Can you explain this thangachi?

Hello Anna, you are wrong, you cann't perceive that way.

First tell me which history says that GOD has Ego.

Those are GOD's ThiruviLaiyadal to teach this poor Human being.

Bcoz we egoistic human being cann't understand anything if someone advises us. Those puranas were God's teaching to us.
If you lead ur life like RAMA the effect wld be this, if u life like RAVANA the effect wld be this... thats it.

We need to learn from that & choose our life style.

Kadavuley ippadi yendral adiyen yemaathiram?

am not getting you :roll: KadavuL eppadi????? cld u please explain :)

Arthi
9th June 2006, 01:21 PM
Significance of ANGA-PRADHAKSHINAM in Temples

Arthi
9th June 2006, 01:28 PM

I feel the same positive vibrations & what Sudhamaji expained in Angapradhakshanam :)

Is it that way bingle?

Sudhaama
9th June 2006, 07:57 PM

I feel the same positive vibrations & what Sudhamaji expained in Angapradhakshanam :) Is it that way bingle?

I have already explained on the reasoning behind carryig the Temple-dust right into the House... because of its sanctity attached, meant for transfer into the Home-atmosphere.

But after entering the House, we have to wash off the dust... since we are interested in Cleanliness too... and Cleanliness is Godliness.

Temple-dust is only the carrier of Sanctity.... similar to a Sugar-cane containing Sugar-juice. After separating the Juice, we consider the Carrier as waste and throw away.

Going for Nature call ... along with the sanctified Temple-dust means only Desecration of a holy substance... or polluting a worthy stuff... adding Spiritual impurity.... while the Soul is already polluted by Karmas, especially by Sins of the past.

Mankind has to take advantage of his rare and unique might of Inner-Soul too ...

...which IMMENSELY helps in making right approach in life, coupled with CLEAN CHARACTER ....

...building up Healthy Thoughts towards Apt decisions in our Life..

The Voice of Inner Conscience is the Voice of the Soul... which must not be suppressed but kept alive constantly by means of frequent purifications on these lines.

The more the Soul power is enhanced, the more the person can ensure a ROYAL WALK in life ...

... which is the GREATEST HAPPINESS complying with the PURPOSE OF HUMAN BIRTH.!!!

Sanguine Sridhar
13th June 2006, 06:23 PM
It is not at all necessary that u should make GOD understand that we are not thinking abt ourself.
He is a supreme power, we should realise him and not vice versa.
we should concentrate about God, focus our thoughts towards GOD.

I don have any second thoughts in your statement.But many of us(Not all or you :) ) goes for a fasting just to get some benefits from God

It starts right from your young age.If i clear my exams i will break 101 Coconuts,If i get a job i will stop boosing or smoking,If i get a child I will give you Gold or Silver..Will you accept this? That is the reason i said "You are MAKING God"

But the actual thing I want to covey is that in the auspicious days you are thinking only about the Almighty and not about yourself.Thats it..Simple!!

pavalamani pragasam
11th July 2006, 11:11 PM
Today in a curio shop I saw a Ganapathi idol with 3 heads, something not commonly seen in the south. Can anyone please explain the significance of the idol's 3 heads? Do people worship such idols in their pooja rooms?

johntony
12th July 2006, 04:46 AM
8-)

pavalamani pragasam
15th July 2006, 12:12 PM
I did some google search myself & found out the trimukha idol depicts the 'guna' : rajas,tamas, & satwa.

pradheep
21st July 2006, 10:21 PM
Dear PP

anyone please explain the significance of the idol's 3 heads
The two heads on the right and left represents the good and the bad actions. The centre one is neutral and is the real the "being". We can experience this when we witness the good and bad actions or judge these actions. God or the supreme is nirguna and is not affected by this duality. It is central to its being represented by this central head. Hope my post is clearto understand.

pavalamani pragasam
21st July 2006, 10:53 PM
Thanx, pradheep!

Sudhaama
22nd July 2006, 12:03 AM
Dear PP

anyone please explain the significance of the idol's 3 heads
The two heads on the right and left represents the good and the bad actions. The centre one is neutral and is the real the "being". We can experience this when we witness the good and bad actions or judge these actions. God or the supreme is nirguna and is not affected by this duality. It is central to its being represented by this central head. Hope my post is clearto understand.

Nirguna has nothing to do here. If it is so the Ganesa-archana or Sthothras which describe all His Gunas...Qualities... will become meaningless.

The Great Sankaracharya who described the Supreme God as of NIRGUNA- BRAHMAM...

...subsequently changed his belief to SAGUNA-BRAHMAM... on the intervention by Lordess Saraswathi ...

...and then composed VISHNU-SAHASRANAMA-BHAASHYAM...

The Concept of the diametrically opposite actions or approaches of Good and Bad ...

... as depicted by means of THREE HEADS... run counter to even the rudimentary Vedic-sense.

If such a sense is accepted... it will mean that the One so called BAD-HEAD... has to be deemed ...NON-DIVINE...

...unfit to be DECORATED or Worshipped...

...and that it has an equal level of importance, being one of the three faces...even though facing opposite directions

...which cannot be correct.

All the Three faces are DIVINE... deserving Worship.

As Ms P.P.Madam has beautifully answered her own Question subsequently...

...Three faces depict THREE GUNHAS in the World Creatures... protected by God suiting to their relevant applicability on the field.

The Centre one is SATHWA-GUNA ... the Main-face by which God sees His devotees... as also appears to him directly face to face.

This Sathwa-guna face is the Wisdom + Gnana-based, which enlightens, EMANCIPATES and uplifts the worshippers....

...while the Qualities of Rajo-guna...Dynamism by Royal-approach and Action by Leadership... being the "vi-NAYAKA"

...with the other face of Thamo-Guna... humble Service-mindedness ... for which the God Ganesa is famous by His SIMPLICITY with very cheap Flowers like Erukkam- poo, Grass... residing just on a Road-side... or under a Tree open to all sorts of inclement weather... tolerating the dirty treatments by the Birds and Insects...

But all the Three in One God...showering grace to his Devotees of Varied Qualities.

Even Veda says... the same concept for the Supreme God....

... whichever the devotee considers and believes so.

Such a DIVINE CONCEPT is depicted by the three-faced Ganesa... the Vigneswara...

... Remover of Obstacles... and PROTECTOR OF SUCCESS.

pradheep
22nd July 2006, 12:30 AM
The Great Sankaracharya who described the Supreme God as of NIRGUNA- BRAHMAM...

Brahmam is Nirguna and with Maya sakthi is appears as saguna. Since we are under the influence of maya-sakthi we describe the brahmam with qualities. This dualism exists as long as we have an attachment with the Ego (Body, mind, sense- complex). Sankara realized that Nirguna Brahman but for vyavahara (day to day activity) he then described (hymns) with qualities. This is the catch 22. The Nirguna with no qualities is described with qualities. This is the bliss is Self Realization.
When one stops identifying with the EGO, this is the state he or she attains. This is the Ananda state.

Sudhaama
30th July 2006, 07:33 AM
ORTHODOXY in TEMPLES & functions like MARRIAGE..Why?

Dear Friends... please throw your thoughts and reply this Important Question...

After hearing from you all... I will come as the last in the Queue to answer.

Sudhaama
1st August 2006, 07:24 PM

Why Hindus BLESS Males and Females DIFFERENTLY?

http://forumhub.mayyam.com/hub/viewtopic.php?p=683903#683903

bingleguy
4th August 2006, 09:50 AM
Why Hindus BLESS Males and Females DIFFERENTLY?

Sudhaama sir, are u mentioning about the blessings given by elders when u prostrate them like chiranjeevi bhava and sowbhagyavati bhava ?

ORTHODOXY
An orientation with the conventional standards is what we describe as orthodoxy !

Every part of the human life with bound with standards and every single soul is expected to stand by those standards ! Religion is probably the thread that ties the standards together and present it !

A temple is a place where the protector or the saviour resides and very much as the saviour is the originator of those standards and also safeguards the very standards too is the belief ! Hence to bring out the orientation, the right place is to start off from the origination point!

Sanguine Sridhar
5th August 2006, 10:32 AM

Sudhaamaji,

We generally do marriages in front of Agni as a witness.Same applicable here i believe(I am not sure,my idea).We conduct that in front of Almighty like a saatchi! Same happens at Church! ?

Sanguine Sridhar
5th August 2006, 10:33 AM

Sudhaamaji,

We generally do marriages in front of Agni as a witness.Same applicable here i believe(I am not sure,my idea).We conduct that in front of Almighty like a saatchi! Same happens at Church! ?

bingleguy
10th August 2006, 01:56 PM
Wish somebody share the sacredness of Poonal (Sacred Thread) and Gayatri Mantram

bingleguy
12th November 2006, 03:37 AM
I wish to reopen this long forgotten thread ...

This is becoming history now :-)

Well Lets see what could really benefit the society ....

Yesterday i happenned to come from the office with my collegues .... while a cute little black cat happenned to cross the road .... i didnt expect ... my friend who was driving STOPPED !

he took reverse and turned back and drove on the opposite direction .....

I was simply watching this incident and i was not able to talk a word .....

How did this practice come up ?
What is the reason for this practice ?

Sudhaama
12th November 2006, 08:26 PM

Yesterday i happenned to come from the office with my collegues .... while a cute little black cat happenned to cross the road .... i didnt expect ... my friend who was driving STOPPED !

Welcome !!... Generally speaking, there are SAKUNA-SASTHRAM and SWAPNA-SASTHRAM...

...clarifying the sense of reactions of Nature with its Creatures.. on the Future events for the relevant man.

It is better to open an exclusive thread on that unusual subject of Selective-interest...

... since I fear that this Important and RICH TOPIC of this Thread, may go out of the way.

Besides... this BASELESS PHENOMENA of Incredible Truth... is a matter of Common interest to all...

... irrespective of Religions and Nationality... or some such social segments

So I have opened another Thread...

"SAKUNAS, DREAMS & SENTIMENTS... Senseless? UNWORTHY?
http://forumhub.mayyam.com/hub/viewtopic.php?p=803882#803882

... where I have answered this Question.

Rohit
12th November 2006, 10:57 PM
Interdependent Origination

Ignorance: This is the state in which everything is born into when entering the wheel of becoming.

Ignorance is also the root cause of the false sense of the Atman/Soul/Self, which in turn causes the desperate desire of clinging to life (immortality), which leads to:

Will to Action: Ignorance, the four aggregates giving rise to Consciousness and desires lead to will to act intentionally in a particular way (sacrifices, rituals and chanting mantras), either good or bad, which in turn leads to:

Names and Forms: A psychophysical interaction between organism and the world, which leads to:

Sense Impressions (or conducts): The information about the world derived through the five senses and the mind, which leads to the origination of feelings and emotions, which in turn, leads to:

Attachment: Attachment to things, ideas, names and forms, ideals etc. in the world trough false desires that can never be fully satisfied or fulfilled give rise to suffering, which in turn condemns it to:

Regeneration: The inevitable results of which are ageing and finally the death

And the regeneration of new generations from the past generations continues the whole cycle of being and becoming all over again.

:) :thumbsup:

bingleguy
13th November 2006, 09:49 AM

Welcome !!... Generally speaking, there are SAKUNA-SASTHRAM and SWAPNA-SASTHRAM...

...clarifying the sense of reactions of Nature with its Creatures.. on the Future events for the relevant man.

It is better to open an exclusive thread on that unusual subject of Selective-interest...

... since I fear that this Important and RICH TOPIC of this Thread, may go out of the way.

Besides... this BASELESS PHENOMENA of Incredible Truth... is a matter of Common interest to all...

... irrespective of Religions and Nationality... or some such social segments

So I have opened another Thread...

"SAKUNAS, DREAMS & SENTIMENTS... Senseless? UNWORTHY?
http://forumhub.mayyam.com/hub/viewtopic.php?p=803882#803882

... where I have answered this Question.

Thanks for the indication, i believe i stop coming over here... so that i dont spoil the RICH TOPIC of this thread :-)

Arthi
14th November 2006, 09:42 AM

The reason behind starting this thread is to know the meaning of our rituals we are following in our day today life.

Sometimes, in the name of Rituals/Religion we have some superstitious beliefs also.

I should say I have :)

So I thought thro this thread we can refine our understanding about this rituals and weed out our blind/illogical concepts.

I want to learn/know about our rituals, so I request prodigies to contribute in this thread & enlighten people like me :)

Even I have the same doubt like wat Bingleguy asked. Since I have no time now a days to come to our HUB :cry: I dnt ask the same question. Orelse I would have asked the same Question one day.

Arthi
14th November 2006, 09:45 AM
Bingle: Dear Friend, I request u too to contribute in this thread.

As you know in that above progidies u too included :)

The purpose of this thread is to give awarness to people like me & to clear the concept about rituals.

Hope U will listen to my words & buddy contribute ur valuable ideas/suggestion and & share ur knowledge here.

P_R
26th November 2006, 03:54 AM

But in our temples??????

I guess I am landing here late and this has been discussed quite extensively but here are my two cents...

A look at the Hindu's Today's Engagement's page never ceases to amaze me. Almost everyday there is some katha kalatchEbam, discourse happening somewhere in the city. So these things do happen even today. Perhaps with a lesser frequency than in th past but definitely at a greater frequency than we think they are happening. From our part we should perhaps make better use of the existing resources.

When you go to some big temples there are always paintings relating to stories from puranas and even small ancient temples seem to have elaborate sthalapuranams. The archakar is mostly more than glad to explain (because few usually ask him about it). One personal theory that I find being proved again is that "the smaller the temple the more committed the archakar seems to be in explaining the history and speciality of the place, the deity and the special occassions and sometimes even the meanings of certain practices peculiar to that temples.

Another thing one almost always finds is tablets with texts from Holy books. For instance in many Vaishnavite shrines paasurams will be found, in particular those paasurams that relate to that particular deity ( if the temple was a Divya Desam). Even though it is in Tamil I don't understand them in entirety but it is possible to make sense of some parts (and hoping over time to gain a degree of fluency).

But I guess your reference is to smaller temples. Even in smaller temples the tablets continue to exist as a vital link. You are very likely to find a Kandar Sashti Kavasam inscribed even in the local Murugan temple at the corner of the street.

Almost of the time when, I am reading a tablet, struggling to break the poetically fused syllables to understand them, someone has stopped in midpradakshanam to join me in reading. So it is not as if the practice is dead. It is only getting people familiar with what is available.

This is a practice that I guess the elders hand down to their children that a temple visit is not just about a prayer in front of a sannidhi but more than that.

Arthi
27th November 2006, 09:22 AM
hi Prabhu Ram, welcome to this thread :D

Arthi
27th November 2006, 01:04 PM
Prabhu Ram :D

Sorry for misguiding you :(
I thought, We discussed abt Kandiyoor Temple here Once upon a timeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Deja vu ;) ;) :roll:

This is for you

http://forumhub.mayyam.com/hub/viewtopic.php?t=6697&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=45

Arthi
27th November 2006, 01:27 PM
Here are a few cat superstitions from various countries.
============================================

A strange black cat on your porch brings prosperity. - Scottish superstition A cat sneezing is a good omen for everyone who hears it. - Italian superstition
It is bad luck to see a white cat at night. - American superstition
Dreaming of white cat means good luck. - American superstition
In the Netherlands, cats were not allowed in rooms where private family discussions were going on.
The Dutch believed that cats would definitely spread gossips around the town.
In Egypt, it was once believed that the life-giving rays of the sun
were kept in a cat's eyes at night for safekeeping.
To kill a cat brings seventeen years of bad luck -Irish
superstition

Hi Bingle, this link wld help you
http://www.petcaretips.net/black_cat_luck.html

Sudhaama
27th November 2006, 08:11 PM

A strange black cat on your porch brings prosperity. - Scottish superstition A cat sneezing is a good omen for everyone who hears it. - Italian superstition
In the Netherlands, cats were not allowed in rooms where private family discussions were going on.
superstition

Dear Arthi,

I wonder why you are violating the basic Norms of the Scope of this Thread... by your such digression...

... a total deviation from the Purview of this Thread Title...

...Do the Dreams and Superstitions form part of Hindu-Religion?

In fact they are common to all... irrespective of Religion or even Atheism..

That is why I have taken initiative to open a separate thread...on DREAMS AND SUPERSTITIONS...

... for the convenience of such of those peope... who have something to say.. Pro or Anti.

Why can't you utilize it to your best advantage?...

...Leaving this Rich Thread... advance towards its right direction intended for.

You being the Founder / Initiator of this Valuable Topic...want to mislead others?

Will you please.. DELETE the above digression here and transfer it to the apt Thread... where I will reply...

...matching to the Topic, you have expressed.

I hope you will not ignore my request.

P_R
27th November 2006, 11:38 PM
Prabhu Ram :D

Sorry for misguiding you :(
I thought, We discussed abt Kandiyoor Temple here Once upon a timeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Deja vu ;) ;) :roll:

This is for you

http://forumhub.mayyam.com/hub/viewtopic.php?t=6697&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=45
Thank You. Do post more in that thread too.

Arthi
28th November 2006, 10:37 AM

superstition

Dear Arthi,

I wonder why you are violating the basic Norms of the Scope of this Thread... by your such digression...

... a total deviation from the Purview of this Thread Title...

...Do the Dreams and Superstitions form part of Hindu-Religion?

In fact they are common to all... irrespective of Religion or even Atheism..

That is why I have taken initiative to open a separate thread...on DREAMS AND SUPERSTITIONS...

... for the convenience of such of those peope... who have something to say.. Pro or Anti.

Why can't you utilize it to your best advantage?...

...Leaving this Rich Thread... advance towards its right direction intended for.

You being the Founder / Initiator of this Valuable Topic...want to mislead others?

Will you please.. DELETE the above digression here and transfer it to the apt Thread... where I will reply...

...matching to the Topic, you have expressed.

I hope you will not ignore my request.

No Sudhama ji :)
I have no intention of violating/deviatiing this thread from its core purpose.

Wat made me to post abt CAT is ....
I got a small book by Name "SADACHARAM".
In that book so many things are given which we need to follow in our day Today life. I feel which is nothing but Rituals.

One thing given is
காலை எழுந்தவுடன் எத்தனை முறை வாய் கோப்பலிக்கரது???

But now a days those are not possible :roll:
But still why our ancestors had defined certain rules.
There should be some hidden meaning definetly.
Actually it is a SUPERSTITIONS beliefs??? :roll:
If not wat is the meaning behind it???? :roll:

In the same notion, I explained for BG's cat doubt also here.
Even I am also having the same doubt :D :roll:

Shall we start someother discussion regaring our rituals :)

Sudhama ji, I never feel that way. It is not the question of founder/Initiator

If one feels I I I then when to reach God :)
Many a times I has happened with me & my Dear SP whom I fondly call as GURUJI & she too suggested me to start a thread on Topics which are common to us.
All that time I refused, & asked her to start the same.

I never feel that I am the founder of this thread. It is just a knowledging sharing between us :D

I can keep giving explanation for ur posts by highlighting line by line.
but letz concentrate on the core purpose of this thread. :D

avan aruLalaE avan thaL paNNindhu :D

bingleguy
21st February 2007, 04:12 AM
tis been quite so much time ..... since i ve been to this thread ... varalai nnu sollirundhen .... but instead of taking comments personal ... i wish i give more importance to the very reason why this thread was started ... hence i wish to start posting here ....

Hindu Rituals and Routines .......

Arthi .... u were mentioning about sadacaram :-) i feel u remember me and u talking on the same .....

Acharam is one of the routines generally followed by brahmins in Hindus ...... Some common words related to them were :

Madi : Madi is a state where u have taken bath and wearing a wet or a seperately dryed cloth and not coming in contact with other cloths ..... this state is normally followed when they are involved in a puja or when they are preparing prasadam for puja........

Vizhuppu is the adverse one for madi ....

even these factors are based on for a reason ...... can we discuss why do we have madi ??????

Rohit
24th February 2007, 03:03 AM
Hindu Rituals and Routines.

Q: What do they signify?

A: Nothing more than sheer stupidity.

bingleguy
24th February 2007, 05:05 AM

Rohit ... can u explain ur standpoint? .... Requesting you to be specific when u are trying to point out things .....

Rohit
25th February 2007, 07:48 PM

Rohit ... can u explain ur standpoint? .... Requesting you to be specific when u are trying to point out things .....
Thanks dear Bingleguy for showing such inquisitiveness.

Of course yes; you are most welcome.

Let me begin with what 'ritual' means:

Ritual means 'vidhi' or 'ceremonial procedure', which is essentially a form of 'karma'; and therefore, it reflects "The way of thinking" and "The way of doing things" of a people.

As requested, let me recite only a few specific 'ceremonial procedures' from the list of many for everyone, including yourself, to absorb their meaning and then judge for themselves the level of imbecility inculcated in them.

1. If someone desires to achieve greatness, then in the northward passage of the Sun, on a lucky day of the waxing fortnight, he takes an Upasad vow lasting twelve days. Then he puts together all the herbs called 'fruits' in a cup or dish made of pipal-wood. He sweeps up and smears the clarified butter in the usual way. Then under a masculine constellation, he prepares the stirred mixture and makes an offering.

Hence, for the purpose, the ceremony called Mantha (paste) is being inculcated as a means to attaining greatness; for if greatness is attained, wealth follows as matter of course.

2. If, when a man is asleep or awake, and his seed is spilled; he should touch it, or recite over it:

"Whatever seed of mine is spilled on earth, or has flowed into plants, or into the waters, I take back that seed. May my potency, my energy, my luck, come back to me."

3. If man sees his reflection in water, he should look at himself in the water and recite the following mantra over it "In me, be light, potency, goods, merit"

4. This is the beauty of women, when she has taken off her dirty cloths. So when she is glorious, having taken off her dirty cloths, the man should approach and invite her.

5. If she does not give him his desire, he should bribe her. If she still does not give him his desires, he should strike her with a stick or hand, saying, "with my potency, my glory, I take away your glory!" and she becomes inglorious.

6. If someone wishes, may a learned, famous son be born to me; one who goes to assemblies, a speaker of well-received words! May he learn all the Vedas! May he live a full span! The couple should have rice and meat of a vigorous bull that is capable of breeding - cooked and eat it with ghee; and they will be able to have one.

Sudhaama
27th February 2007, 03:09 AM
.What is ORTHODOXY (Aachaaram) ?

. Why & How it is IMPORTANT.?

Orthodoxy is not confined to any one Religious faith only... but to one and all the Religions and Spiritual pursuits of various hues... but every Religious code of Orthodoxy is unique and different from other faiths... each of its own.

The Orthodoxical customs of a Christian Bishop may perhaps be incredible or funny or ridiculous in the views of some Non-Christian..

...and may be similarly in case of an Islamic fakir or Imam... in the views of any Non-muslim.

But it is unfair for anybody to look down upon others faiths and beliefs...

... leading to denigrate others Religious customs or Code of practice...

... passing on cheap-comments, stooping down too low to quote the Bed- affairs... in the context of a holy topic.

Some of our friends take pleasure in hurting our Religious-beliefs and wounding our Spiritual feelings

.. It is their way of outlook on Social-life perhaps.!

Any and all our Friends here are welcome to raise their doubts and get clarified.

... But NOBODY SHOULD OVERSTRETCH THEIR HANDS... beyond their moral bounds...

... TRANSGRESSING the Limit of SOCIAL DECENCY...in an Open Forum of Global-perception.

However we forbear with such undue Wounds and Pains..

Better such loose comments as of Mr Rohit, do not recur in future.

Let us look into this meaningful topic... pertaining to the Service-men as concerned with the Vedic pursuit.

Orthodoxy is an Order of SELF-DISCIPLINE plus a Code of Practice concurrent with the relevant Religious custom.

In the Vedic system of Devotional-pursuit... it is more relevant and applicable to Religious practitioners like Temple Gurukkal/ Archaka / Poojari... Purohits, Vedic-pandits... and the like.

Why and How Orthodoxy is Relevant and Important for Devotion.?

Devotion is expressed and resorted through every and all the means of innate Human-potentialities like Mind, Wisdom, Body and Atma.

More than the comman-man, such a practice is required to the highest degree possible, from the Religious-leaders and Servicemen

.. especially through Spiritual means... Atma (Soul)

The duty of a Night-watchmen is implied to be awake at nght... whether he likes or not.

The duty of a Mother is to bear the baby in her womb, whether she relishes or not.

Foregoing the personal inconveniences, the duty of a Policeman is to rush on the call from any member of Society, he being the Public-servant.

Similarly the Hindu Religious practicioners are the Servants of the Society.. rather for the sake of the Devotees of Vedic-faith... and so are committed to keep upto the Rudimentary norms of the linked life-exercise...

... so as to ensure the conservation of Sanctity of Temples and preservation of holiness of Vedic Chantings...

... for the benefit of the Dependant devotees, seeking the services of Vedic-servicemen.

How Orthodoxy gets a Vital Role in Devotional Services?

The Crux of Orthodoxy is PURITY TO THE EXTREME... in Totality.

Purity of Soul (Atma) is the most important for any Serviceman, which can be ultimately reached only after adopting the precedent orders of sequence...

.. viz. Purity of Body, Purity of Mind, Purity of Brain and Purity of Soul.

For other devotional approaches like Meditation, Japam, Tapam etc. one can straightaway reach the Soul.. without much of orthodoxy...

.. but in those cases the Soul gets the maximum exercise.

.. but not in the case of Temple rituals and Holy performances with fire like Homas and Yagas.. concerned with our day to day life, for several family-celebrations like Marriage, or Ceremonial rites or Graha-Pariharas... the Qualification is different, since Orthodoxy is a pre-requisite.

Orthodoxy results in Purity.... which has to be Total in the above cases... in all respects, as ordained by Vedas

So, right from boyhood, orthodoxy is the order of life... as an inevitable Code of practice (Anushtaanam) for such servicemen involved and committed for the purpose.

Accordingly they are strictly trained to practice their way of life in an unique and specified order...

... to maintain the Sanctity and Holiness of their Devotional Services.

How Orthodoxy is practised for Devotional Services?.. How it is Meaningful?

In what way it is effective to maintain PURITY OF the Performer's SOUL?..

How it is vital for ensuring the SANCTITY OF KARMAS?... We will see next.

... To continue.

skanthan
27th February 2007, 09:38 PM
May I post some of what I have learned about the Hindu riruals and symbolisms?

Here is some of my understandings about these.

About knocking on the temples(flat parts on either sides of head:

This is to help one to wake up and understand/see God.

The two mentioned above is usually done in front of Lord Ganesha.

Ashtanga:

This is prostrationg to God in an act of surrender to His feet.

Breaking coconuts in front of God.

When we break a coconut, this is equivelant to beaking our ego which prevents us from attaining self realization.

Reading mantras, slokas, stotras tec...

When we chant mantras, slokas, stotras in front of God, we are doing it for purposes such as to improve our or others health. to obtain success in our goals or to get Gods protection among many other reasons for chanting.

Offering food to God and talking it after puja as prasadam.

When we offer any food such as fruits, sweets, nut, and other foods before God, or chant mantras while cooking, the food becomes blessed by the Lord and when we partake of the blessed prasadam, we actually internallize the blessings. Same is the case when we drink milk or water with abhishekam(symbollic bathing of God) was done. When we drink abhishekam milk or wather, this also is a blessing from God.

If I made some mistakes or left anything out, it would be much appreciated if someone can tell me.