PDA

View Full Version : Unparalleled contribution from our Army Jawans - the Martyrs

S.Balaji
8th March 2006, 04:25 PM
Dear All,

While our lives are well secured, ever do we realise that there are lakhs of our dear Security personnel who actually form the edifice of our great Nation.....

Countless numbers have given their lives but none of us , except the concerned's relatives and friends will come to know ....

this is the harsh reality for an army Jawan but he does his job with a relentless pursuit.... that of protecting our nation..........

I wish to share with you all, the sad story of another great contributor to our country

I request you all to come forward and share with us , any of the brave achievers who had given their life for our country......

Let us share the sorrow of demise of this Great Hero.......................

Late Mr. Surjan Singh Bhandari

N.S.G. Commando

During The Attack on Akshardham temple on 24th September 2002 this Brave Man fought the greatest battle of his life. Yes he was the N.S.G. Commando Late Mr. Surjan Singh < PAN>, who sacrificed his life for the Nation. Sadly On 19th May 2004 he lost the Toughest an d Longest battle against life exactly after 600 Days being in Coma, he lost this life.

The Bullet which hit him in the head made him Unconscious for almost 600 days. His family members were hoping that one day their Hero will open his eyes but he didn't.

It was the Longest Wait for the family members of this Brave Man. When the whole India was busy in Guessing Who will be the Next PM of the country - Will it be Sonia or will it be Manmohan Singh, This man was fighting his Last battle. But it's so sad that in the hype of all the Political Drama, the News about his Death was Lost like a needle in a hay stack! Even the leading News Papers & So Called Best News Channels of India which Works on 24 X 7 basis, failed to highlight this story of the Brave Man. Unfortunately it was mentioned somewhere on the middle page of some newspaper.....This was the Reward for the Brave task for which he lost his life.

Besides his Family members, only one thing was there with him during those toughest 600 days. It was there near his bed till the last Moment. Can you guess what it was?............... It was the "Tiranga", yes! Our National Flag, which was saluting him for his Great cause. Absolutely No words can suffice our Gratitude towards him...

If news papers refuse to cover, TV channels refuse to cover, let us do our bit.

This is the only way we can salute his Bravery...

When you really desire something with your heart & soul, the
entire universe conspires in helping you to achieve it..."

[/img]

bingleguy
8th March 2006, 04:28 PM
Lets Salute Bravery !

Jai Hind !

Shakthiprabha.
8th March 2006, 05:04 PM
salutations to all families
which has borne
scars deep in heart
that can never be ripped apart

Salutations to all young wives
who are haplessly helpless
to ream their romantic dreams

Salutations to all young children
whose thirst of knowledge is quenched
with their father's patriotism

Salutations to all out there
who spend sleepless days n nights
betting their life
to give us our rights.

Salutations to all jawans, captains, majors
who care not for their precious lives
care not for their sons or wives
but for we unknown millions.

I BOW TO THESE MEN AND THEIR FAMILY.

rocketboy
8th March 2006, 09:07 PM
one of my friends is a major in the indian army 8-)

S.Balaji
8th March 2006, 11:51 PM
Rocketboy...

Thanks.... Can you pl share with us about your friend's experience and about the life of Jawans

rocketboy
9th March 2006, 12:20 AM
sure Mr balaji.

He is a Punjabi sardar and he works for the madras regiment.

for the moment i would like to share something about the siachen glacier.

From the conversations i had with him i infer ,no particular battalion is assigned the task of guarding the siachen glacier.Some of kind of job rotation. The temperature is extremely low over there. also it is a place frequented by scientists as materials fail or show some kind of regression
to decay. so that obviously excites men of science. You get everything to eat. branded chocolates ,cheese, i mean the usual stuff. but the irony is they won't eat much for the fear of using toilets.I leave it at that. The people who work under him are mainly andhras and tamils. The morality and loyalty is very high. He once said people who work under him are ready to lay down their lives . i'll get in touch with him and add more .

S.Balaji
9th March 2006, 12:25 AM
Rocket....Thanks for the info.....

I have also heard a little bit about Siachen glacier ....

It should be one of the sensitive access points for our neighbour to squeeze in ......

I understand, 100s of soldiers die every year especially at this point as its very difficult to survive at this freezing cool temperature....

but their mission continues

I also do have a distant relative and previously he was in Gorkha rifles ... a very remote area in North east border and he is ranked Major

S.Balaji
9th March 2006, 12:30 AM
When our Parliament was attacked few years back, 2 of our jawans died in cross firing ......

and few were severely wounded...

Any idea on what happened subsequently

After the kargil battle, the bodies of some of the Jawans were sent to their native villages....

It was really consoling to see the army chief coming down town to pay his last respects to one of the dead as the entire village down South turned up to pay their final respects to the brave soldier who was killed in cross firing ...

It was an emotional moment and it appeared in TV also .......

Sad to note that the guy who lost his life was very very young

Sandeep
9th March 2006, 08:35 AM
Sacrificing your life
for what you know and what you don't,
for what you love and what you don't,
all for the nation that you are part of!

Salutes to the Indian Jawans for living and dieing with courage, selflessness, discipline and for leading the war from front.

I have lot of my close relatives in Army, Air force. My grandfather was in the Bhutanese Royal Army (pre-independence), one uncle was a Air force pilot, other Army Major, cousin's husband in war front communication. I tried to join but they didn't want me (not fit) :oops: .

Alan
9th March 2006, 09:12 AM
Thankyou Balaji Sir for opening this thread, to offer our respect & salutations to the brave people who have served our nation-

My father retired from the Indian Army as a Lt. Colonel- infact, he could have acquired much higher positions had it not been for his health- he is a heart patient.

I have great respect for the Army but one thing that needs to be changed is the salary scale- I hate to confess it but the Army Officers are nothing but Glorified Beggars- in my childhood, there has always been shortage of money- we have other facilities like Oderlies who clean even your shoes, groceries, provisions, special discount at textile shops& even Pearl shops but yeah. money, liquid cash is always short.

That was why I never joined the Army though I had cleared NDA.

My father, because of his illness got just one Field Posting in his entire Army life.

More later................
got to run.

rocketboy
10th March 2006, 07:47 AM
Major M Saravanan, VirChakra,
1 Bihar

On 28 May 1999, SS-36288W Major Mariappan Saravanan was assigned the task of capturing a well fortified enemy post in the most inhospitable terrain at an altitude of 14299 feet (Pt 4268). The officer brought his coy into action on night 28/29 May 99 and launched the assault on the enemy position at 0400h on 29 May 99. Enemy opened intensive fire with automatic weapons, artillery and mortars making it difficult for Maj Saravanan and his coy to move ahead. In the face of such heavy opposition Maj Saravanan displayed unparalleled courage, and with total disregard to his personal safety charged through the volley of bullets and fired a Rocket Launcher on the enemy bunker, killing two enemies on the spot. In the fierce fighting the officer sustained splinter injuries. Two more enemies who were hiding in the bunker opened fire from the top killing once NCO and injuring Maj Saravanan. Despite being injured and facing a heavy volley of fire, Maj Saravanan eliminated both of them but later succumbed to another burst on his head. Thus Maj Saravanan, single handedly killed four enemies and led his men from front. He was honoured with the title of 'Hero of Batalik' for his gallant action.

rocketboy
10th March 2006, 08:03 AM
[tscii:a1d6f79035]Major Padmapani Acharya,
Maha Vir Chakra (Posthumous)
Of the 2nd Battalion of The RAJPUTANA RIFLES

Major Padmapani Acharya, ‘A’ company commander, was assigned to capture Knoll in area Black Rock, a heavily fortified enemy position with coordinated mine fields, sweeping machine guns, artillery fire and bunkers in mutual support. The success of the Brigade operations, hinged on the early capture of the Knoll. However, the company was pinned down by a heavy volume of fire of UMG from a bunker atop the Knoll which was the only approach. Realizing that the elimination of this bunker was essential for progress of attack he took the reserve platoon and charged on to the bunker. Major Acharya crawled up to the bunker and lobbed a grenade inside.

Even after being grievously injured, Major Acharya engaged the Pakistan regulars in hand to hand fight and killed one of them before succumbing to his injuries. The dynamism, raw courage, personal example and supreme sacrifice of Major Acharya enthused the troops and the Knoll was quickly overrun, providing the Battalion its foot hold on ‘Black Rock’.

Lieutenant Balwan Singh,
Maha Vir Chakra
Of the 18th Battalion of GRENADIERS Regiment

Lt Balwan Singh, an alumnus of Sainik School Kunjpura, was commissioned from the OTA on 06 March 1999 into 18 Grenediers. Lieutenant Balwan Singh and his Ghataks were tasked to assault Tiger Hill Top on 03 July 1999 as part of multipronged attack from the North East direction. The route to the objective was untrodden, interspersed with pointed rocks and thick snow at a height of 16,500 feet. The officer executed his task with courage and determination. The team led and exhorted by him moved over twelve hours under intense artillery shelling to reach the designated spur. This move took the enemy totally by surprise as his team used cliff assault mountaineering equipment to reach the Tiger Hill Top stealthily.On seeing the Ghataks, theenemy reacted in panic with intense automatic fire causing serious injury to the officer and his team. He refused to be evacuated and unmindful of his injury and grave condition, moved swiftly to encircle the intruders. His adversaries had no choice but to flee from the fury of accurate fire of the Ghataks. The officer’s unparalleled courage under enemy fire and determination led to capturing Tiger Hill, the most important objective of our troops in Operation VIJAY

Captain Deepak Guleria,
VirChakra, (Posthumous),
HQ 3 Sector Rashtriya Rifles

On 18 June 1999, at approx 0540h, an IED blast took place near Wusan, on the Road Opening Party of 114 Inf Bn TA (JAT). Four personnel were seriously injured in the blast.IC-54625H Capt Deepak Guleria along with a QRT on a Mine Protected Vehicle (CASPIR) in a brave and spontaneous reaction unmindful of his personal safety rushed to the spot to evacuate the casualties. Having ensured the evacuation of casualties, as he was about to mount the CASPIR Vehicle, a second blast took place in which he was hit by a shrapnel and was critically wounded. Later, on the way to the hospital he succumbed to his injuries.

Major Ajay Singh Jasrotia,
Sena Medal (Posthumous),
13 JAK Rif

Maj Ajay Singh Jasrotia, moved with the unit for 'OP VIJAY' as part of 56 Mtn Bde. The unit was tasked to capture Pt 5140, which dominates the Srinagar-Leh Highway. Accordingly, an administrative base was sited at Drass. On 15 Jun 99, the location came under heavy enemy artillery shelling. The very first shell injured six OR and sent across a wave of shock and panic among other who desperately ran for cover. Maj Ajay Singh Jasrotia, immediately sensed the gravity of the situation, took charge and ordered all the troops to take cover within the area of the adm base. Thereafter, instead of taking cover, he attended to the casualties inspite of the continuing artillery shelling and arranged for evacuation of the wounded to safety. He organised troops into suitable groups and along with them, carried the soldiers on his back amidst heavy artillery shelling which continued unabated. During the evacuation of the casualties, a shell landed in close vicinity of Maj Jasrotia, injuring him seriously. With total disregard to his injuries, Maj Jasrotia continued with his task of evacuating the injured soldiers. This worsened his condition due to steady loss of blood, but inspite of persistent persuasions by the troops, Maj Jasrotia refused to be evacuated even as life slowly ebbed out of him. He finally succumbed to his injuries, thus making the supreme sacrifice of his life, but not before he had sent six serious casualties to their safety, all of whom later survived.

Major Harminder Pal Singh,
Sena Medal (Posthumous),
18 Grenadiers

Maj HP Singh was the leader of a search party to search a suspected house on 13 Apr 99 when militants opened fire on them from the said house. Maj HP Singh suffered bullet injury on the left arm. Displaying utter disregard to personal safety and crippling injury, he moved with lightning speed firing his weapon and shot dead one militant on the spot. This daring and decisive act surprised and trapped the militants. Refusing to be evacuated, he gave direction to the search party and crawled upto a position of advantage. The second militant attempted to fire a grenade. Realising immediate danger, Maj H P Singh displaying astounding bravery and nerves of steel, fired from close range killing him. In the simultaneous militant fire Maj Harminder was hit and later succumbed to his injuries.

Colonel Lalit Rai, Vir Chakra,
1/11 Gurkha Rifles

On 02 July 1999, Colonel Lalit Rai was tasked to capture the formidable Khalubar, and led his Battalion into the attack. As the leading columns reached 500 meters short of the objective, the enemy brought down intense and accurate fire. Tasking Bravo company to clear the interfering enemy bunkers, he advanced to Khalubar top with a handful of men, to turn the enemy's flank. The enemy engaged the advancing party with intense fire, but they succeeded in reaching Khalubar top. The enemy counter attacked repeatedly, killing and wounding several soldiers and also wounding Colonel Lalit Rai, but the attacks were beaten back by the handful of Khalubar top. Despite his injury, Colonel Lalit Rai refused evacuation and continued to direct the operations. He tenaciously held on to the vital lodgment on Khalubar top, which resulted in the capture of Bunker area and Khalubar.

A large quantity of arms, ammunition and documents were recovered and over 24 enemy killed. The capture of Khalubar proved to be the turning point in Operation Vijay and led to the complete rout of the enemy. Colonel Lalit Rai exhibited the most conspicuous bravery in the face of the enemy. Despite being injured, he refused evacuation and continued to fight and direct operations simultaneously. He inspired his men with exemplary leadership. For this singular act of gallantry and selfless devotion, beyond the call of duty, with grave risk to his life, he was awarded the Vir Chakra.

Captain R Jerry Prem Raj,
Vir Chakra (Posthumous),
158 Medium Regiment

Capt R Jerry Prem Raj was commissioned into 158 Med Medium Regiment (SP) on 05 Sep 1997. He was a sincere and upright officer with an eye for detail and a pleasant disposition. He answered the call of duty and rejoined the unit in Operation Vijay under operation Rakshak after voluntarily cutting short his honeymoon. On the night of 06/07 Jul 1999, he was the Forward Observation Post Officer with 2 Naga during its assault on Twin Bumps in area Point 4875 (Gun Hill) in Dras Sector. During the assault, while directing the artillery fire onto the enemy positions with devastating effect, he was wounded by enemy sniper fire. Undeterred, he continued his mission amidst heavy enemy fire, when he was yet again hit by a volley of enemy machine gun fire. Gravely injured, he refused to be evacuated and continued to direct accurate artillery fire onto the enemy till he succumbed to his injuries. His spontaneous action resulted in inflicting heavy casualties on the enemy and in the capture of the objective by assaulting infantry. The exceptional display of raw courage and steely resolve in the face of insurmountable odds earned Captain Jerry the award of a 'Vir Chakra' posthumously.

Captain Amit Sharma,
Sena Medal
197 Field Regiment

Capt Amit Sharma was Observation Post Officer with 18 Grenadiers for the period 26 May 99 to 09 Jun 99. During this period the unit carried out a series of attacks on Tololing feature. Captain Amit Sharma participated in every attack as Forward Observation Officer, bringing down continuous and effective artillery fire on a large number of enemy locations which were holding up the assault. In the process the officer also destroyed a large number of enemy fortifications, killing the enemy located therein. During the above mentioned period, Captain Amit Sharma moved from one exposed Observation Post position to another bringing down accurate fire on the enemy with total disregard to his own safety. Displaying total professionalism, utter selflessness, rock steady nerves and steely courage under fire, the officer continuously suppressed the enemy, thereby enabling 18 Grenadiers to advance and capture enemy locations to finally establish a firm base at Tololing. The gallantry displayed by him is in the finest traditions of the Indian Army.

Captain Saju Cherian,
Sena Medal
307 Medium Regiment

Captain Saju Cherian was inducted as Observation Post Officer with 14 Sikh at Chorbatla with effect from 05 Jun 99. Chorbatla was being heavily shelled by enemy artilleryy due to which complete forward elements of 14 Sikh were forced to the confinement of the bunkers. However, Captain Saju Cherian refused to do so and decided to move to a vantage point ahead of the forward elements of 14 Sikh. The mission was extremely risky keeping in view the continuous shelling by the enemy. When even getting out of a bunker was considered dangerous, Captain Saju Cherian undertook to move to the said vantage point to accomplish the task assigned to him. Despite grave risk to his own self, he continued moving and got deployed. This afforded him a clear observation of enemy activities in front of entire Chorbatla sector. However, this OP location was devoid of any form of protection. Capt Saju Cherian however decided to stay on and continued observing enemy routine for a period of four days. Wanting to strike at the enemy at the most opportune moment, the officer waited and finally decided to strike at 1600h on 16 June 1999. The enemy used to be most active at 1600 hours carrying out activities like fetching water, moving rations etc. The officer used 155mm guns of 307 Medium Regiment and 130 mm guns of 286 Medium Regiment on the said new bunker area of enemy at NQ 323987. Showing professional skill of a high order, the officer used first salvo effectiveness by opening up all the guns simultaneously. As a result he succeeded in inflicting heavy casualties on the enemy. Three enemy personnel were killed and four bunkers destroyed in the first salvo. Thereafter on seeing the enemy running for cover, the officer made use of cargo ammunition and got 7 to 8 personnel injured in the subsequent fire. The effect of the shot was noticed by forward infantry elements of 14 Sikh, including Second-in-Command of 14 Sikh. This resulted in dampening the enemy morale and lifting the morale of our own forward elements.

Lieutenant Kanad Bhattacharya,
Sena Medal (Posthumous)

A patrol consisting of eight other ranks led by Lieutenant Kanad Bhattacharya was tasked to establish a foothold on North Eastern ridge near Tiger Hill. The route was inaccessible and was covered with snow. While Sepoy Major Singh was climbing up, he detected movement of intruders coming down with heavy weapons towards them. He informed the patrol leader who ordered the patrol to deploy. The intruders started firing at the patrol with heavy automatic and sniper fire. Lieutenant Kanad Bhattacharya and Sepoy Major Singh divided the patrol into two groups and started engaging the intruders from different positions thereby displaying outstanding professional competence. Heavy exchange of fire continued between Lieutenant Kanad's patrol and the intruders. The patrol kept constantly returning the fire with full poise and determination. In the ensuing fire fight a number of patrol members including Lieutenant Kanad received multiple gun shot wounds which was reported later by other personnel of the patrol. Lieutenant Kanad Bhattacharya along with two other ranks laid down his life in the highest tradition of the service. The patrol could not come back and was declared missing in action on 21 May 99. The body of SS-37818M Late Lieutenant Kanad Bhattacharya was recovered from the area of action where it was found buried in the snow, on 15 Jul 99 after the capture of Tiger Hill.

Major Joy Dasgupta, Sena Medal,
18 Grenadiers

Maj Joy Dasgupta was commissioned from OTA on 09 Mar 1996 into 18 Grenadiers. Maj Joy Dasgupta a Coy Cdr of assaulting coy was tasked to launch an attack on a tactically important feature HUMP on 13/14 June 1999. He meticulously planned his course of action. Undaunted by resistance from well fortified and well stocked intruders and difficulty posed by the hostile snow capped terrain over 15,000 feet, the officer instilled confidence and motivation in his men. While advancing one enemy bunker with two Machine Guns which seriously impeded the advance of the assaulting column, he displayed quick response and forethought and moved with a small team to tackle the enemy position with total disregard to his personal safety. He closed in on the bunker and charged inside killing four intruders in close combat. His action motivated his troops to press on. In an ably led operation of twenty hours, spread over the night and next afternoon despite severe cold and fatigue, he was able to capture HUMP thereby obviating enemy's observation and domination over DRASS, TOLOLING and BHIMBAT NALA. Maj Joy Dasgupta displayed exceptional courage, bravery, astute tactical planning and able leadership by his personal example in the face of the enemy.

Major Sonam Wangchuk,
Maha Vir Chakra
Of the LADAKH Scouts

In Operation VIJAY as a part of ongoing operation Maj Sonam Wangchuk was leading a column of Ladakh Scouts on 30 May 99 for occupation of Ridge Line on the line of control in a glaciated area at 5,500 Meter to pre-empt enemy occupation and subsequent infiltration. While moving towards the line of control the enemy ambushed the column firing from a vantage point. One Havildar of Ladakh Scouts was killed. The officer held his column together and led a raid on the enemy position from a flank supported by artillery fire, killing two enemy personnel. The dead proved to be from enemy regulars. He recovered one Heavy Machine Gun, one Universal Machine Gun, ammunition, controlled stores and three dead bodies of the enemy personnel from the position. Maj Sonam on induction took stock of all forces in Chorbatla axis in the Batalik Sector and cleared the axis upto the Line of Control of all enemy intrusions at great risk to his life.For this act of exceptional bravery and gallantry of the highest order in the face of enemy in most extreme cold climatic conditions in glaciated area, Maj Sonam Wangchuk was awarded Maha Vir Chakra.

Lieutenant Keishing Clifford Nangrum,
Maha Vir Chakra (Posthumous)
Of the 12th Battalion of JAMMU AND KASHMIR Light Infantry

‘C’ Company, 12 Jammu and Kashmir Light Infantry was tasked to capture Point 4812 in square 1990, a strongly held enemy position of extreme tactical importance in Batalik Sector. SS-37111P Capt Keishing Clifford Nangrum was tasked to assault the feature from the South Eastern direction; an almost impossible climb. The column encountered strong enemy opposition near the top. The enemy was well entrenched in interconnected bunkers chiselled out of rocks; immune to even artillery fire. The defences were formidable. The enemy brought down heavy automatic and artillery fire on this column. The firefight continued for approximately two hours. Capt Clifford led his section, closed in and threw grenades in the enemy’s front line bunkers and boldly charged, killing six enemy soldiers. He tried to snatch the Universal Machine Gun firing at own troops from the enemy but received a volley of bullets. This audacious action of Capt Clifford completely stunned the enemy. Heavily outnumbered and badly wounded Capt Clifford refused to be evacuated and continued firing till he succumbed to his injuries. This act of Capt Clifford gave valuable reaction time to out columns to capture Point 4812.Capt Clifford had displayed unparalleled bravery, dogged determination and raw courage. He made the supreme sacrifice in the highest traditions on the Indian Army.

http://www.majorsaravanan.com/

[/tscii:a1d6f79035]