PDA

View Full Version : World Pi Day!

Salmon
14th March 2006, 11:52 PM
Today - March 14th - is the World Pi Day. (remember 3.14...)

Enjoy!
Jamaai!
Enjamaai!

http://blogs.guardian.co.uk/news/archives/2006/03/14/pieyed.html#more

:clap: :D :thumbsup:

m_23_bayarea
14th March 2006, 11:53 PM
What's Pi day ?? :? :?

svaisn
14th March 2006, 11:55 PM
Pi what is it??

is it 3.14 :lol:

villan007
14th March 2006, 11:56 PM
anwar , :? :? :?

Kadavul
14th March 2006, 11:56 PM
Today - March 14th - is the World Pi Day. (remember 3.14...)

Enjoy!
Jamaai!
Enjamaai!

http://blogs.guardian.co.uk/news/archives/2006/03/14/pieyed.html#more

:clap: :D :thumbsup:
:rotfl: :banghead:

terminator
15th March 2006, 12:19 AM
Pi = 22/7

ssanjinika
15th March 2006, 12:49 AM
What is the importance of pi?Why is it that big a deal in Math?

Sinthiya
15th March 2006, 01:03 AM
About Pi....

Pi was known by the Egyptians, who calculated it to be approximately (4/3)^4 which equals 3.1604. The earliest known reference to pi occurs in a Middle Kingdom papyrus scroll, written around 1650 BC by a scribe named Ahmes. He began the scroll with the words: "The Entrance Into the Knowledge of All Existing Things" and remarked in passing that he composed the scroll "in likeness to writings made of old." Toward the end of the scroll, which is composed of various mathematical problems and their solutions, the area of a circle is found using a rough sort of pi.

Around 200 BC, Archimedes of Syracuse found that pi is somewhere about 3.14 (in fractions; Greeks did not have decimals). Pi (which is a letter in the Greek alphabet) was discovered by a Greek mathematician named Archimedes. Archimedes wrote a book called The Measurement of a Circle. In the book he states that Pi is a number between 3 10/71 and 3 1/7. He figured this out by taking a polygon with 96 sides and inscribing a circle inside the polygon. That was Archemedes' concept of Pi.

New knowledge of Pi then bogged down until the 17th century. Pi was then called the Ludolphian number, after Ludolph van Ceulen, a German mathematician. The first person to use the Greek letter Pi for the number was William Jones, an English mathematician, who coined it in 1706.

In the 1800's people sat down for years on end to find the values of pi to about 1000 places. Imagine doing this by hand with no
calculators. This has become a thing of the past, since the tedium
that used to be done by hand is now done by computer.

Facts About Pi

- Pi is the ratio of the circumference of a circle to the diameter.

- 2 Pi in radians form is 360 degrees. Therefore Pi radians is 180 degrees and 1/2 Pi radians is 90 degrees.

- e raised to the i*pi power equals -1 (e is the base of the natural logarithm and i is the imaginary number which is the sqare root of -1).

- Pi day is celebrated on March 14 at the Exploratorium in San Francisco (March 14 is 3/14). (Bay...you should know... :o )

- All the digits of Pi can never be fully known.

courtesy of http://mathforum.org/library/drmath/view/57543.html.....

another website: http://www.exploratorium.edu/pi/history_of_pi/index.html

:).....

ssanjinika
15th March 2006, 01:08 AM
Thanks Sinthiya.
I still dont get its significance though..why is it important to know the ratio of a circle's circumference to its diameter?

Sinthiya
15th March 2006, 01:09 AM
since we're discussing about Pi :P ...anyone read 'Life of Pi' by Yann Martel? your thoughts? :roll:

i'd like to read it...soon....:)

Sinthiya
15th March 2006, 01:14 AM
And March 14th is Albert Einstein's birthday as well!!! :o

ssanjinika
15th March 2006, 01:17 AM
Ive read The Life of Pi..and found it...

very weird. :P.
Can say I liked it truthfully but I didnt not like it either.It was a good read.

Sinthiya
15th March 2006, 01:25 AM
Thanks Sinthiya.
I still dont get its significance though..why is it important to know the ratio of a circle's circumference to its diameter?
hmm... :roll:
...to make pies...pizza...and a whole lotta things... :lol:

look at everything around us...:)...

Sinthiya
15th March 2006, 01:36 AM
Ive read The Life of Pi..and found it...

very weird. :P.
Can say I liked it truthfully but I didnt not like it either.It was a good read.
:)....thanks....

what's the last book you've read, SS?

ssanjinika
15th March 2006, 01:46 AM
I am currently reading this book called the Death of Vishnu :).

Sinthiya
15th March 2006, 01:52 AM
sounds interesting....who's the author?

i'm reading Anil's Ghost by Michael Ondatjee

ssanjinika
15th March 2006, 01:59 AM
its by Manil Suri

Its a very different book.Its about Vishnu who is the handy man at a building who lies dying.ITs about the thoughts and attitudes of him and the people around him at this time.

This is the authors website

http://www.manilsuri.com/

Thirumaran
15th March 2006, 02:29 AM
Why this thread is not yet locked?

ssanjinika
15th March 2006, 02:38 AM
Enna TM ungala ennikku VV thread-la kanum?

Thirumaran
15th March 2006, 02:46 AM
Enna TM ungala ennikku VV thread-la kanum?

Today very busy.
Lots of work.
:(

ssanjinika
15th March 2006, 02:47 AM
ohh..today im practically vetti :).
But I think work will start from tomm or day after :(.

Kollywoodfan
15th March 2006, 02:48 AM
3.14 March 14th

Annually, For Math Honor Society, we had to go to elementary schools and explain to the kids the significance of PI using interactive games... :wink:

Thirumaran
15th March 2006, 03:03 AM
ohh..today im practically vetti :).
But I think work will start from tomm or day after :(.

So sad..

:(

m_23_bayarea
15th March 2006, 03:22 AM
Today very busy.
Lots of work. :(

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Yeah, we can see that ... :P

Justice
15th March 2006, 03:25 AM
About Pi....

Pi was known by the Egyptians, who calculated it to be approximately (4/3)^4 which equals 3.1604. The earliest known reference to pi occurs in a Middle Kingdom papyrus scroll, written around 1650 BC by a scribe named Ahmes. He began the scroll with the words: "The Entrance Into the Knowledge of All Existing Things" and remarked in passing that he composed the scroll "in likeness to writings made of old." Toward the end of the scroll, which is composed of various mathematical problems and their solutions, the area of a circle is found using a rough sort of pi.

Around 200 BC, Archimedes of Syracuse found that pi is somewhere about 3.14 (in fractions; Greeks did not have decimals). Pi (which is a letter in the Greek alphabet) was discovered by a Greek mathematician named Archimedes. Archimedes wrote a book called The Measurement of a Circle. In the book he states that Pi is a number between 3 10/71 and 3 1/7. He figured this out by taking a polygon with 96 sides and inscribing a circle inside the polygon. That was Archemedes' concept of Pi.

New knowledge of Pi then bogged down until the 17th century. Pi was then called the Ludolphian number, after Ludolph van Ceulen, a German mathematician. The first person to use the Greek letter Pi for the number was William Jones, an English mathematician, who coined it in 1706.

In the 1800's people sat down for years on end to find the values of pi to about 1000 places. Imagine doing this by hand with no
calculators. This has become a thing of the past, since the tedium
that used to be done by hand is now done by computer.

Facts About Pi

- Pi is the ratio of the circumference of a circle to the diameter.

- 2 Pi in radians form is 360 degrees. Therefore Pi radians is 180 degrees and 1/2 Pi radians is 90 degrees.

- e raised to the i*pi power equals -1 (e is the base of the natural logarithm and i is the imaginary number which is the sqare root of -1).

- Pi day is celebrated on March 14 at the Exploratorium in San Francisco (March 14 is 3/14). (Bay...you should know... :o )

- All the digits of Pi can never be fully known.

courtesy of http://mathforum.org/library/drmath/view/57543.html.....

another website: http://www.exploratorium.edu/pi/history_of_pi/index.html

:).....

:clap: :clap:

adada enna oru viLakkam :roll:

Thirumaran
15th March 2006, 03:25 AM
Today very busy.
Lots of work. :(

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Yeah, we can see that ... :P

Pirar Thunbathil inbam Kaanum Maanida,

Naan Petra Thunbam Neeyum Pera en Vaazhthukkal..
:D

m_23_bayarea
15th March 2006, 03:26 AM
Pirar Thunbathil inbam Kaanum Maanida,

Naan Petra Thunbam Neeyum Pera en Vaazhthukkal..
:D

Yaan Petra Thunbam Peruga Ivvaiyagam !!

Seriously Thirumaran, I'm a heqaa stressed with school, midterms, work etc etc :cry: :cry:

Salmon
15th March 2006, 03:35 AM
Pi is a mysterious constant that had baffled mathematicians for several centuries.

Whenever you draw a perfect circle, the circumference is always 3.14... times that of its diameter. You can test this using your bangle and a piece of thread. If the circumference divided by diameter is not equal to Pi, then it means your bangle is defective - not a perfect circle!

Pi is significant bcoz mathematicians believe its a sign of divine providence and "order among chaos" in materialist things. When the rule of Pi is broken, chaos overtakes order!

"Psi" is another sinister little-known cousin of Pi.

Read The Da Vinci Code for details about Psi.

If you believe in Pi, it means you are religious.
If you believe in Psi, it means you are fundamentalist.

Pi = π
Psi = Ψ

:P

Thanks Sinthiya.

Kollywoodfan
15th March 2006, 03:37 AM
Math Nerds Prepare To Celebrate Pi Day

Pi Day Tuesday honors the infinite numerical challenge whose first three numbers--314--connote March 14.

By W. David Gardner

Mar 13, 2006 12:43 PM

Math aficionados, nerds, and proud math geeks at high tech operations all over the world are preparing to celebrate Pi Day Tuesday to honor the infinite numerical challenge whose first three numbers --314 -- connote March 14.

Although professional and amateur mathematicians venerate Pi, they can take a light-hearted approach to the Pi phenomenon Tuesday.

"Pie-eating contests are very big," said Howard Greenspan, spokesman for MathematiciansPictures.com, a Pi-oriented Web site. "For math nerds and aficionados, it's like Christmas and New Year's all wrapped up into one. There's a lot of activity in high tech operations across-the-board -- major companies, search engines, students, professors."

Greenspan added that the pie-eating contests cover all flavors from apple to strawberry, while bar games often take place in bars and restaurants near high tech centers like Silicon Valley, Boston, and New York.

"There are contests to see who can reel off the biggest number of Pi -- sometimes more than 100 numbers," he added. "It's a popular bar game in some places. Computer guys are totally into these things."

While Pi Day activities have a light-hearted tone to them, Greenspan observed that there are many serious computer scientists who make a life's work out of working with Pi on supercomputers.

In cyberspace, a giant Pi facsimile will drop at exactly 1:59 pm Tuesday. In a nod to the first six digits of Pi, Greenspan said the Pi Drop will be repeated on the site in instant replay for those who miss the actual happening. And, he added there will be an interview with an animated Pi on the Web site.

Noting that Mathematicians Pictures is a business that focuses on "the rock stars of knowledge," Greenspan said the company markets an assortment of novelty items concerning famous scientists and mathematicians. They run the gamut from Ada, the mathematician many believe was the first software programmer, to Archimedes of Syracuse, the brilliant mathematician of ancient Greece.

ssanjinika
15th March 2006, 03:39 AM
Thks Salmon(thot it was solomon actually :lol:)
thats def informative.
Have read Da vinci code and needless to say loved it :)

Kollywoodfan
15th March 2006, 03:40 AM
The DaVinci code is one of the best books of recent times...can't wait for the movie...Tom Hanks :thumbsup:

ssanjinika
15th March 2006, 03:42 AM
I somehow dont wantto see the movie coz I feel they wudnt be able to capture the essence of the book correctly. :oops:

Kollywoodfan
15th March 2006, 03:45 AM
I somehow dont wantto see the movie coz I feel they wudnt be able to capture the essence of the book correctly. :oops:

well as long as u've read the book before hand...for the most part all book cum movies do not capture the essense of the book, however we're talking about long books here...imagine if they were to squeeze in every little detail for every long book...each movie would be five hrs long :shock: :shock:

ssanjinika
15th March 2006, 03:48 AM
thats true..ive never been that happy with the movie versions of good books excepting LOR.Even HP i felt could have been better(though i love the movies)but I feel this way about Da vinci code esp coz of the monologes and the long dialogues in the book.Theres a lot of information in there which is practically impossible to squeeze into the movie.

Salmon
15th March 2006, 03:48 AM
Da Vinci Code is a masterpiece!

But prepare to be disappointed by the film adaptation. Permission to shoot in Westminster Abbey has been rejected.

But I still see the clues everyday here in the streets.

Salmon
15th March 2006, 03:50 AM
Mystery of Pi continues!

Despite supercomputer processing uptil trillion digits, no set pattern has been found for the digits of Pi - the God's number!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pi

Salmon
15th March 2006, 03:51 AM
Pi is not an invention. Its a discovery!

Kollywoodfan
15th March 2006, 03:52 AM
thats true..ive never been that happy with the movie versions of good books excepting LOR.Even HP i felt could have been better(though i love the movies)but I feel this way about Da vinci code esp coz of the monologes and the long dialogues in the book.Theres a lot of information in there which is practically impossible to squeeze into the movie.

The HP movies left out so much from the books...it was so upsetting... :(

Sinthiya
15th March 2006, 03:56 AM
I saw the trailer for The DaVinci Code... :o ...awesome!
It was gruesome to see the guy beat himself in the the beginning though... :oops: ....but Tom Hanks looks cool....

it's Ron Howard....we'll see how it turns out...

i'd love to go to The Louvre museum one day.... :P and see the paintings my self.... :)

ssanjinika
15th March 2006, 03:59 AM
Yeah..Tom Hanks - great actor
Audrey toutu - great actress
Ron Howard - amazing director..lets see.

Kollywoodfan
15th March 2006, 04:03 AM
I saw the trailer for The DaVinci Code... :o ...awesome!
It was gruesome to see the guy beat himself in the the beginning though... :oops: ....but Tom Hanks looks cool....

it's Ron Howard....we'll see how it turns out...

i'd love to go to The Louvre museum one day.... :P and see the paintings my self.... :)

yeah trailors looks good!

gorgeous gaayini
15th March 2006, 04:44 AM
Area of circle = A = pi*r^2

circumference = pi d

i must be the cleverest person in the hub to know all this. :D :lol: :lol: :lol:

Kamalan
15th March 2006, 08:44 AM

circumference = pi d

i must be the cleverest person in the hub to know all this. :D :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: gaayini ur the funniest person in the hub..... :lol: :lol:

rocketboy
15th March 2006, 08:57 AM
besides pi there is one more interesting number . this is the golden number 0.618. Infact there is a mathematical search technique which makes use of this number by name golden section search. google may lead to more amazing facts about this number.

rocketboy
15th March 2006, 09:02 AM
Mystery of Pi continues!

Despite supercomputer processing uptil trillion digits, no set pattern has been found for the digits of Pi - the God's number!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pi

pi is an irrational number. irrational numbers don't terminate after specific
number of decimal places and they don't exhibit any pattern .

Lambretta
15th March 2006, 09:25 AM
Hmm.......looks like this is a thread for Maths whizes! In wich case I'm ciepher (spelling?), means Zero! :P
Neways, Pi or Holi, we hav no holiday today......so I'll hav to be off now! :(

Querida
15th March 2006, 10:13 AM
it's cipher/cypher looks like I shouldn't open a thread about spelling huh? :poke: Anyways cipher is also a message written in secret code...now isn't that what all hubber's want to be? :D

rocketboy
15th March 2006, 02:11 PM
this link explains about the golden number:

http://cuip.uchicago.edu/~dlnarain/golden/

Anoushka
15th March 2006, 06:56 PM
Only Americans celebrate "World" pi day on 3.14 (March 14th) the rest of the world celebrates it on 22nd of July (22/7) :D

Lambretta
15th March 2006, 07:28 PM
it's cipher/cypher looks like I shouldn't open a thread about spelling huh? :poke:
:lol: Tks! See, as I said, I'm by & large zero afa as math. knowledge is concerned! :huh: :P
Ppl. find this hard to believe wen I tell them considering we r supposed to've had sum of the oldest mathematicians in the world! (so....? :roll: )
Btw, Anoushka, tat was an interesting fact u mentioned! :D

Anoushka
15th March 2006, 08:48 PM
Thanks Lamby, heard that from a friend of mine :)

gorgeous gaayini
16th March 2006, 02:46 AM
:notworthy:

we did Pi last year in my class.....i got top marks for the maths test.... :D as usual.... :D :D :D

circumference = pi d

i must be the cleverest person in the hub to know all this. :D :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: gaayini ur the funniest person in the hub..... :lol: :lol: