Bagera Baingan
Cucumber/Onion Raita
Lime Pickle
Roasted Pepper Pappad
Paneer Fingers/Cutlets
Drinking Water

DESSERT

Ice-Cream/Gulab Jamun

I'm planning to invite some friends for dinner next weekend - planning to make everything myself- Is there something I should add or delete or change? Thankyou!

Alan
20th March 2006, 07:50 AM
Helooo? Dev? Red Pepper? Shobha mam? Tomato? Mano mam? Hemantji?

RedPepper
20th March 2006, 09:25 AM
[tscii:77eae39b8d]
Looks scrumptious to me. What more can we expect from a bachelor? Normally they order pizza when people are around. :)
I haven’t cooked a complete vegetarian meal for guests yet. So, not much ideas or suggestions. That’s why I didn’t respond. I hope the veg experts here will respond soon. I think if you had someone to help, you could also try making chapathis/parotas, just to have an extra choice with the pulao.
[/tscii:77eae39b8d]

Badri
20th March 2006, 09:27 AM
Wouldnt the paneer fingers me more like starters too?

dev
20th March 2006, 09:38 AM
Good meal plan, Alan... I would suggest you to reconsider the baingan curry coz I've seen many who don't eat baingan... Or if U r sure that most of the friends whom U invite are okay with it, then go ahead...

Incase U wish to reduce ur workload a bit, U can try garlic bread in place of spring rolls... U can use french loaf bread with some readymade garlic spread or ur own spread... toast until crisp...

& as RP suggested, you could also try making chapathis/parotas if you have the time & energy for it... Happy cooking... Enjoy!!!...:)

Alan
20th March 2006, 09:59 AM
[tscii:210dc3dd8d]
Looks scrumptious to me. What more can we expect from a bachelor? Normally they order pizza when people are around. :)
I haven’t cooked a complete vegetarian meal for guests yet. So, not much ideas or suggestions. That’s why I didn’t respond. I hope the veg experts here will respond soon. I think if you had someone to help, you could also try making chapathis/parotas, just to have an extra choice with the pulao.
[/tscii:210dc3dd8d]

Thanks for the encouragement, Red Pepper!

Pizzas???????????- they are all too tired of Pizzas & burgers which they eat all the time!!!!
They'll eat me if I order Pizzas!
:lol:

Making Chapathis for these Gargantuan mouths!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'll have to make at least 50 chappathis-there's a maid who comes to clean the flat but she's not very neat & hygenic so I don't let her step nto th kitchen- lol! Otherwise, I could 've told her. :?

Alan
20th March 2006, 10:02 AM
Wouldnt the paneer fingers me more like starters too?

Thanks sbadri for the suggestion but what's the exact recipe to make them?

I 'm also considering Crispy Fried Vegetables- which they serve in restaurants- they are easier to make than Spring Rolls.

Alan
20th March 2006, 10:57 AM
Good meal plan, Alan... I would suggest you to reconsider the baingan curry coz I've seen many who don't eat baingan... Or if U r sure that most of the friends whom U invite are okay with it, then go ahead...

Incase U wish to reduce ur workload a bit, U can try garlic bread in place of spring rolls... U can use french loaf bread with some readymade garlic spread or ur own spread... toast until crisp...

& as RP suggested, you could also try making chapathis/parotas if you have the time & energy for it... Happy cooking... Enjoy!!!...:)

Thanks dev!
Infact, I never liked baingan till I ate this curry- so yeah- I'll try to make something else.

And garlic bread for a starter? Nice idea!

tomato
21st March 2006, 06:40 AM
Ok- I have a question to ask the amazing chefs & cooks here,

Is this an Ideal Vegetarian Meal?

STARTERS
Spring Rolls & Cream of Tomato :D
Springs rolls could be tedious and time consuming. Onion pakodas or veggie fritters would be much easier.

MAIN COURSE

Veg Pulao
Bagera Baingan
Cucumber/Onion Raita
Lime Pickle
Roasted Pepper Pappad
Paneer Fingers/Cutlets
Drinking Water !!!!!!!!!! You think of everything don't you :wink:

DESSERT

Ice-Cream/Gulab Jamun

Gulab Jamun is a good choice, and can be made the previous evening and chilled in the refrigerator.

I'm planning to invite some friends for dinner next weekend - planning to make everything myself- Is there something I should add or delete or change? Thankyou!

Over all a good menu. :thumbsup:
Since you are making only one rice item ( and no chapathi or plain rice) be sure to make enough to feed all your friends.
Happy cooking and have a great time with your friends.

kavithasenthil
21st March 2006, 07:00 AM
[/quote]

Thanks for the encouragement, Red Pepper!

Pizzas???????????- they are all too tired of Pizzas & burgers which they eat all the time!!!!
They'll eat me if I order Pizzas!
:lol:

[/quote]

I thought u are in India. Do they eat pizzas and burgers in india like here in USA? I am very much confused.

dev
21st March 2006, 07:18 AM
I thought u are in India. Do they eat pizzas and burgers in india like here in USA? I am very much confused.

Y this doubt, Kavitha?... Haven't you been to India in the recent few yrs?...Pizza,burger culture is fast spreading(infact, already well spread in some parts) in India... it's expensive than the other Indian snacks but since ppl now have become more affluent, they can afford to spend on it... even when I was in college, we used to have pizza often... it was a long time back(5-6 yrs) & that too, it wasn't in a metro either... So U know how things will be in metropolitan cities like New Delhi(which is where Alan lives)...

Shoba
21st March 2006, 08:38 AM

STARTERS
Spring Rolls & Cream of Tomato

MAIN COURSE

Veg Pulao
Bagera Baingan
Cucumber/Onion Raita
Lime Pickle
Roasted Pepper Pappad
Paneer Fingers/Cutlets
Drinking Water

DESSERT

Ice-Cream/Gulab Jamun

Sorry Alan, I havent been on line and missed this post. Hope I'm not too late replying.

Alan, I would personally add a stir fried item, not heavy on the kari powder and gravy.

Is the Baingan a semi solid dish or more like a gravy?

Spring rolls-are you making them or buying frozen? If former, then you might have to invest a bit more time for cooking...and then looking fresh & pretty :P for your friends.

How about some lemonade? You can make the juice & the sugar syrup the previous day itself and allow it to chill in the fridge. Should be getting warmer in Delhi, no? A nice cool drink when your friends arrive..

As standby, just have plain white rice and plain yoghurt in small quantity.

That's about it for my input. Good luck and let us know how it all went. Not a pre wedding gathering, by any chance... :wink: ?

Regards,
Shoba

Alan
21st March 2006, 02:18 PM

Y this doubt, Kavitha?... Haven't you been to India in the recent few yrs?...Pizza,burger culture is fast spreading(infact, already well spread in some parts) in India... it's expensive than the other Indian snacks but since ppl now have become more affluent, they can afford to spend on it... even when I was in college, we used to have pizza often... it was a long time back(5-6 yrs) & that too, it wasn't in a metro either... So U know how things will be in metropolitan cities like New Delhi(which is where Alan lives)...

As smart dev rightly said, there are many pizza /burger oulets here like McDonalds, Asian Fried Chicken(for chiken burgers) & Pizza Huts all over the place.

Personally, I'm not into this kind of food on a daily routine- once in a month is ok for me- but none of my friends can cook to save themselves so they buy these stuff or eat from hotels.

So, during the weekends, I call them all & give them some decent Khana even simple plain rice & sambhar or chappathi & dal is like ambrosia for them!!!!!!!!!

I always give them simple meals so I thought I'll just elaborate the affair this time, just before the wedding- lol!

Alan
21st March 2006, 02:21 PM

STARTERS
Spring Rolls & Cream of Tomato :D
Springs rolls could be tedious and time consuming. Onion pakodas or veggie fritters would be much easier.

MAIN COURSE

Veg Pulao
Bagera Baingan
Cucumber/Onion Raita
Lime Pickle
Roasted Pepper Pappad
Paneer Fingers/Cutlets
Drinking Water !!!!!!!!!! You think of everything don't you :wink:

DESSERT

Ice-Cream/Gulab Jamun

Gulab Jamun is a good choice, and can be made the previous evening and chilled in the refrigerator.

Over all a good menu. :thumbsup:
Since you are making only one rice item ( and no chapathi or plain rice) be sure to make enough to feed all your friends.
Happy cooking and have a great time with your friends.

Thanks tomato!
Yes, I have 5 friends coming over- have to make ample quantity!

But won't the gulab jamun become soggy& break off if put in the fridge?

Alan
21st March 2006, 02:26 PM

STARTERS
Spring Rolls & Cream of Tomato

MAIN COURSE

Veg Pulao
Bagera Baingan
Cucumber/Onion Raita
Lime Pickle
Roasted Pepper Pappad
Paneer Fingers/Cutlets
Drinking Water

DESSERT

Ice-Cream/Gulab Jamun

Sorry Alan, I havent been on line and missed this post. Hope I'm not too late replying.

Alan, I would personally add a stir fried item, not heavy on the kari powder and gravy.

Is the Baingan a semi solid dish or more like a gravy?

Spring rolls-are you making them or buying frozen? If former, then you might have to invest a bit more time for cooking...and then looking fresh & pretty :P for your friends.

How about some lemonade? You can make the juice & the sugar syrup the previous day itself and allow it to chill in the fridge. Should be getting warmer in Delhi, no? A nice cool drink when your friends arrive..

As standby, just have plain white rice and plain yoghurt in small quantity.

That's about it for my input. Good luck and let us know how it all went. Not a pre wedding gathering, by any chance... :wink: ?

Regards,
Shoba

Thanks for the feedback, Shoba Mam.

Stir fried item, as a starter or main course?
In the case of a starter, I'll do crispy fried veggies then- it's so much more easier than Spring Rolls!

Baingan is a semi solid gravy dish with the fried baingans intact (without the shape change) in it.

Lemonade is a great idea! I think its better than Tomato Soup, no?

May be, I'll keep some white rice(previous day) aside. Thankyou once again for ur valuable input!

dev
21st March 2006, 02:28 PM

Gulab Jamun keeps good for a few weeks in the fridge... Soggy???... I like jamuns well soaked and very soft so that it just melts in mouth... I like it better than the chewy,hard ones that we get in hotels(I guess made from khova insted of milk powder)... But I believe even that'll keep well in the fridge...Shouldn't be a problem as they are already ind of hard/chewy...

dev
21st March 2006, 02:31 PM
Lemonade is a great idea! I think its better than Tomato Soup, no?

Yeah... better for a hot summer day...

Alan
21st March 2006, 02:35 PM

Gulab Jamun keeps good for a few weeks in the fridge... Soggy???... I like jamuns well soaked and very soft so that it just melts in mouth... I like it better than the chewy,hard ones that we get in hotels(I guess made from khova insted of milk powder)... But I believe even that'll keep well in the fridge...Shouldn't be a problem as they are already ind of hard/chewy...

Even I don't like the ones in hotels.............may I'll buy it from Rami Reddy's Sweetshop! :D

kavithasenthil
21st March 2006, 09:11 PM
Hi dev and alan,

I didn't know abt all these. I thought ppl have pizzas may be once in a while. Frankly i didn't tasted any pizza or burger in India since i spend most of time at home rather than roming during my vacations.

Anyway i just prepared MRS.Mano's microwave carrot halwa. It came out so good why don't u try that easy sweet for ur party alan?

rain
21st March 2006, 10:05 PM
wow alan,

this is one heck of a menu planning here! if ur friends r still hungry at the end of the feast,jus show them this thread. :wink:

ur menu looks great.jus a small input---if ur main course is a pulao-gravy combo ,it might be more ideal to have a somewhat "shahi" side dish like paneer butter masala or capsicum-paneer---u know something rich.takes lesser time too.u cannot afford to look harried.so decide wat u want to be----a dazzling cook or a perfect host. :)

jus my two cents. have a blast and give ur friends a taste of what to expect for the BIG DAY !!!

good luck
rain

Alan
22nd March 2006, 08:54 AM
Thanks a lot for ur suggestion, rain- but the problem is they always have paneer on a daily basis- so I wanted to make something EXOTIC & rare- hence I chose the not-so-common Bagera Baingan!
I might make it on the eve & then use the next day for Pulao & cleaning!!!!

dev
22nd March 2006, 11:07 AM
Baingan is a semi solid gravy dish with the fried baingans intact (without the shape change) in it.

3 fried dishes(fried vegs, cutlet & the baingan dish) for a meal... :roll:

Alan
22nd March 2006, 09:16 PM
Oh- I just noticed when u said it- it's not good, dev? I'l cancel the cutlets then- Need to buy the stuff tomm & start making on Friday night- they'll all reach here by Sat evening!

rain
22nd March 2006, 10:15 PM
they always have paneer on a daily basis- so I wanted to make something EXOTIC & rare- hence I chose the not-so-common Bagera Baingan!

oh..ok,alan,i see your point.

ur fried baigan sounds the same as Bahara Baingan.it's got a rich gravy with super-soft baingan and nice brown colour.tastes yummy too :P

rain

Alan
22nd March 2006, 10:26 PM
Thanks for the encouragement, rain!

rain
22nd March 2006, 10:56 PM
alan,

have tasted bahara baingan (assuming it's one and same)and raita with pulao and it was nice.r u making this baingan dish with tamarind then u can go easy on the sourness of the curd for raita.

regards,

rain

rain
22nd March 2006, 11:06 PM
oops! looks like i replied for the wrong post.

dev
23rd March 2006, 07:13 AM
Oh- I just noticed when u said it- it's not good, dev? I'l cancel the cutlets then- Need to buy the stuff tomm & start making on Friday night- they'll all reach here by Sat evening!

Personally,I wouldn't prefer to have this many fried stuffs for a meal...

You can drop the cutlet if U wish to & add something like channa dhal chaat... Just soak & cook channa until soft... drain excess water... mix in finely chopped chillies, onion,tomatoes(optional or in very less qty) coriander leaves, salt, lemon juice & chaat masala(optional)...Let it rest for some time(atleast 1/2 hr) before you serve...very easy to make & very tasty too... This will also make ur meal a balanced one as this will take care of the protein part...

dev
23rd March 2006, 07:15 AM
rain,

You can use the edit button to edit you post any number of times... the 'X' button can be used to cancel a post before anyone replies... You can find these buttons on the top right side of the post...

Alan
23rd March 2006, 02:05 PM

Personally,I wouldn't prefer to have this many fried stuffs for a meal...

You can drop the cutlet if U wish to & add something like channa dhal chaat... Just soak & cook channa until soft... drain excess water... mix in finely chopped chillies, onion,tomatoes(optional or in very less qty) coriander leaves, salt, lemon juice & chaat masala(optional)...Let it rest for some time(atleast 1/2 hr) before you serve...very easy to make & very tasty too... This will also make ur meal a balanced one as this will take care of the protein part...

But channa goes best with Batura & second with Chappatis & pooris not with rice items- at least that's what I think, personally.

dev
23rd March 2006, 02:16 PM
This is a starter/salad kind of dish... cannot be had with rice/roti...
If U r planning to add a spicy stir fried dish, then U can drop the cutlet... else, go ahead with ur plans... too many changes at the last minute isn't good...:)

dev
23rd March 2006, 02:34 PM
Hey Alan,

each time I chk ur menu to see what exactly ur plans are, it makes me drool... I wish someone calls me over for a meal this weekend...;)

Alan
23rd March 2006, 10:36 PM
lol dev! I would've invited u & hubby over to meal times if u were anywhere close by!

dev
23rd March 2006, 11:09 PM
lol dev! I would've invited u & hubby over to meal times if u were anywhere close by!

:D Sweet words... Thanks a lot, Alan... I too wish I had such a lovely cook as my neighbour...

I really wish I could visit Shoba's restaurent here in SG atleast once before I move out...We live so closeby but yet to meet up... :(

rain
24th March 2006, 12:06 AM
o.k dev.

alan had posted his Ideal Meal query in SOS -- i replied thinking it's here. :roll: it's just a continuation so 've not edited it :)

rain

Alan
24th March 2006, 07:43 AM
It's ok, rain- I could link both- Thanks anyway!

Alan
26th March 2006, 06:00 PM
Thankyou amazing ladies- dev, rain & Shobamam for all ur suggestions!

The dinner went out really well without any mishaps!
There were a few last minute changes nevertheless, it was an amazing dinner- and the six of us litrally licked the plates clean- There was a friend who came on Friday evening itself- so he helped around with the cleaning, washing dishes etc- So it was all great, we rented two humorous Malayalam movies but as they say, the good things don't last too long! All of them left this afternoon.

The menu was as follows:

STARTERS:
Lemonade ( Thanks to Shoba Mam)
Potato Chips ( Bought)

MAIN COURSE:

Vegetable Pulao
Bagera Baingan
Cucumber Raita
Chilly Gobi ( Bought from Hotel)
Pepper Pappad
Pickle (Lemon)

DESSERT
Caramel Custard

Thankyou so much all of you!

dev
27th March 2006, 06:45 AM
Hi Alan,

Nice to know that u guys had a good time & an yummy meal...:)

Shoba
27th March 2006, 06:47 PM
Hey Alan, glad to see that you had a good time! Here's a non food kostin-what were the movies y'all watched?

Shoba

RedPepper
27th March 2006, 08:48 PM
Wow! Way to go Alan!
Good to see that you all had great time.

Alan
27th March 2006, 08:52 PM
Thanks dev, Shoba mam & Red Pepper for ur encouragement & support!

We watched "Kakha Kuyil" & "Friends"- I could watch both the films with very lil translation help!!!! My Malayalam has improved tremendously, although when it comes to "double meaning jokes etc", I don't understand them! Sreenivasan is my favourite! That lil man is a big star, no? :D :D

rain
28th March 2006, 02:12 AM
alan,glad to know u and ur friends had a great time :)

rain

Alan
28th March 2006, 12:52 PM
Thanks , rain!