PDA

View Full Version : Town Talk - Talk about your Town

bingleguy
24th March 2006, 12:04 PM
[tscii:eefb1b3ac3]Hi All

The HUB is a place with a lot of ppl from different parts of the world !

Why dont we discuss about the places we were born or the place where we LIVE !
Tell something abt ur town, its nature, its ppl, its temples, its history ...whatever ... Talk about your TOWN !

You can even chat with others to know better about their PLACE !

To begin with
My home town is Tiruchirapalli (Thiru seeraa paLLi) which was previously called as Trichynopoly by the Britishers ! The city is nearly in the HEART of TAMIL NADU ! with Cauvery river beautifully adorning the city.

Some very famous temples like Srirangam, Rock Fort (Uchi Pillaiyaar kovil), Tiruvaanaikaval (The water(jhalam) sthalam among the Pancha Sthalam of Lord Shiva- Jambu Ligeswarar and Akilandeswari ambal), Very old n famous churches

Trichy as it is shortly called is very famous for education ! with KAPV Medical College, REC, SASTRA, St Josephs College, Bishop Heber College, SRC, HolyCross, IG n many more - to be noted educational institutions !

One famous landmark in Tiruchirapalli is the Rock Fort — a huge outcrop of rock. There is a Ganesha temple on top, which was also used as a military fort for some time.

Rock Fort is a 183-metre high rock which is the only outcrop in the otherwise flat land of the city. The Rock is one of the oldest in the world — approximately 3,800 million years old, which makes it as old as the rocks of Greenland and older than the Himalayas. On top of the rock is the Ucchi Pillayar Koil (temple of Ganesha at the top) , a temple dedicated to Vinayaka, from where one can enjoy a panoramic view of Tiruchirapalli.

For this reason the city is also called the Rock City. On the southern face of the rock are several beautifully carved cave temples of the Pallava period

Srirangam is called the Asian Mesapotamia - a land between the rivers Cauvery n Coleroon !

Many more to say ... but less space n time to write ....

Come out .. Say about your place of birth ... I really am feeling a sense of satisfaction after i ve talked about my place of birth .... u too will feel the same .. Pour in !
[/tscii:eefb1b3ac3]

pavalamani pragasam
24th March 2006, 02:36 PM
pala thaNNi kudichchavangka enna paNRathu? veLinaattula irukkiRavangka antha idangkaLaiyum varNikkattumE, Osiyaa oor suththipaakkalaamE!

dev
24th March 2006, 02:48 PM
pala thaNNi kudichchavangka enna paNRathu? veLinaattula irukkiRavangka antha idangkaLaiyum varNikkattumE, Osiyaa oor suththipaakkalaamE!

Solallame... thappilaye...:)

Naan ippo irukira nAtai patri en manathil pattathai 'ellam' sonnal, ennai palar kadithu kuthari viduvArgal... :lol:

bingleguy
24th March 2006, 02:54 PM
Yup ... we can share about the places where u presently stay !

Dev ... appadi endha naatla irukeeya ?

dev
24th March 2006, 03:08 PM
bingleguy,

Pls chk ur PM...:)

bingleguy
24th March 2006, 03:14 PM
Ok ok :lol: :lol: :lol:

Anyways ... i guess we can change the topic to say "Town Talk - Talk about your Town" where we can talk about the places where we stay in too !

wat say guys ?

dev
24th March 2006, 03:18 PM
Go ahead,bg... :)

Lambretta
24th March 2006, 08:09 PM
Say dev,
y not u go ahead & talk abt ur hometown (Coimbatore?).....:D

starting from ur childhood days.......for good measure including the days w/ ur father's lambretta.......maybe sum anecdotes like, while riding on tat scooter, u visited so & so place in ur city, or so-and-so thing hap'd one fine day.......? :wink: :D

I'm sure we'd like to hear tat....I've never herd much abt Coimbatore until recently........

ssanjinika
24th March 2006, 08:31 PM
I come from Singara Chennai..whats there to say about it I wonder....hmm...
I think the name says it all Singara Chennai :)

Sanguine Sridhar
24th March 2006, 08:47 PM
I come from Singara Chennai..whats there to say about it I wonder....hmm...
I think the name says it all Singara Chennai :)

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: Well said .... Eventhough it is not as developed like other Metropolitan cities..Chennai has a very good collection of Intellectual citizens (Example Sridhar :D )

Nerd
25th March 2006, 12:20 AM
[tscii:f1f3e0b0a9]My home town is Tiruchirapalli [/tscii:f1f3e0b0a9]

Same pinch bg :D You have said it all. But you had forgot to mention about the ayyappan kovil in cantonment. That IMO is THE best temple in trichy. Extremely clean and noiseless :D :D :D

pavalamani pragasam
25th March 2006, 08:08 AM
TrichikkaravukaLukku Saradha's javuLik kadal, Mangal & Mangal paaththirakkadal mukkiyamillaiyaa?

dev
25th March 2006, 05:17 PM
Say dev,
y not u go ahead & talk abt ur hometown (Coimbatore?).....:D

starting from ur childhood days.......for good measure including the days w/ ur father's lambretta.......maybe sum anecdotes like, while riding on tat scooter, u visited so & so place in ur city, or so-and-so thing hap'd one fine day.......? :wink: :D

I'm sure we'd like to hear tat....I've never herd much abt Coimbatore until recently........

Not now, Lamby... Will write abt it sometime later...Not in a state of mind to think of those things today... Sorry... :(

Lambretta
25th March 2006, 05:23 PM
Ohh....sorry to hear this dev.....I hope ur able to feel better soon!

Shakthiprabha.
25th March 2006, 05:36 PM
dev,

hope u are keeping fine. get okei soon.

RP
25th March 2006, 09:11 PM
dev,

hope u are keeping fine. get okei soon.

Get well soon ,Dev..........come to Bengaluru.....u'll soon be in the right mood........bengaluru .... iddinda channage bere yahadu oru illa appa!!

To start with there is Cubbon Park.........green.......silent yet bustling...well contrast is wat this town is all about!! :wink:

Shakthiprabha.
25th March 2006, 10:18 PM
RP,

wayyyyyyyy to go !

:D

Bengaluru zindabad. oLLaiya ooru.

You forgot to say LALBAGH, THE PPL....... so very non interfering yet fun loving and friendly.

Then the hotels, HYGENIC AND GOOD FOOD.

The climate..... wow

bangarantha ondu ooru athu bengaluru

:clap:

Shakthiprabha.
25th March 2006, 10:26 PM
I wish to rewrite famous BHARATHA VILAS song here.

"enu swami illi nodu
enga ooru bengaluru...
therukku theru poongaa ingE
nodu swami nee nodu
nee nodu bengaluru...
ellaa mathamum ella inamum
ondru kalanthathu intha ooru"

:clap:

kannannn
25th March 2006, 10:40 PM
That's interesting RP and SP. For the 5 years I was in Bangalore (and probably for the rest of my life I am going to spend there), I never felt at home. The once pensioner's paradise is now in a mess, both in terms of infrastructure and economic inequality (driven by a fast changing demography). I know it is all inevitable and is common to most cities in India, but nowhere is the lack of infrastructure so obvious and pronounced as in Bangalore. The air is constantly polluted and the non-existent roads are a motorist's nightmare.

All that said, the one good thing about Bangalore is it's growing theater culture. It may still have a lot of catch up to do with cities like Pune, but organisations like Ranga Shankara are trying real hard. That may still make living in the city worthwhile.

dev
26th March 2006, 01:04 AM
Hey Lamby, SP & RP... thanks a lot for the concern shown... I'm just abt ok now...:)

Yeah, B'lore...no doubt is a nice place to live in except for the infrastructure... Very nice climate, friendly ppl, fantastic shopping spots & above all delicious food... I've lived in B'lore for something like 2 yrs & I really miss the place as much as I miss my hometown...

MADDY
26th March 2006, 03:11 AM
Bangalore??? nice place, friendly?? man, i really think u guys are very gud.....how can u call that place a gud one???? i'm a kannadiga born in Chennai and bought up in Chennai/Mumbai, as all IT ppl.'s curse settled in B'lore.....i'll tell u the following experiences in b'lore for the 3 months i have been here:

1. Rickshaw drivers used to take me for a ride everytime......they charged me Rs.350 from Majestic to Jeevanbhima nagar the very first day i came to b'lore from Mumbai......later i came to know it was not more than 100 rupees.....
2. Hotels and restaurants: pathetic service....even Pizza huts and Mcdonalds are no different......they will take ur order only to tell u that the item is not available after 10 minutes.....one more thing, if i order for apple juice and if they dunt have it then they just say "illa sir".....they dunt even care to offer u the choices....it is like "if u wanna drink then drink, otherwise get lost"......the ultimate thing was when a cleaner in one of the hotels just whisked away my plate while i was having curd rice......man, i felt so bad....
3. General attitude of ppl.: i hardly get any help to ply thru places and get new addresses...they just say "gorthu illa", they dunt even offer to help a new person in the city.......shopkeepers are also the same.....if they dunt have the article they just send me off and if i ask them where can i get it, they dunt reply....i still remember the bombay days when a old man of a stationery store walked me to another statonery store where i wud get the article i wanted......
4.Infrastructure : Most pathetic, given govt has almost all big names like IBM,TCS,Accenture etc in their city....all these employees have to struggle in traffic and bad roads to get to office.....

and at the height of things, a bike driver carelessly spit his pan on my new reebok t-shirt....he stopped, looked at me and said "y r u walking on the road"? i felt like Anniyan Vikram at that time.......

Bengaluru derived its name from "Benda-kaal-ooru" which means boiled beans......i guess it is more apt to tell Bangalore causes "Benda-manasu" - boiled hearts.......in my 7 years in mumbai, i never felt like a Alien there........and of course, i have never felt that in my hometown chennai also......but inspite of knowing kannada,tamil i feel like a alien in bangalore......

p.s: i havent exaggerated any fact here, infact i have left out many other incidents.....

gaddeswarup
26th March 2006, 07:25 AM
It may be too early to comment but most of the places mentioned so far are either cities or big towns. Most Andhras that I met abroad are from villages and some from Visakhapatnam (nowadays, I meet people from Hyderabad). Is there some difference between Tamilnadu and A.P. in terms of people who moved out of the state? Unfortunately I cannot write about my village since my father used to be transferred from village to village every few years (in Guntur district but he was from Krishna district).
Swarup

pavalamani pragasam
26th March 2006, 08:11 AM
"The air is constantly polluted and the non-existent roads are a motorist's nightmare. " Nothing can be truer!!

"i havent exaggerated any fact here, infact i have left out many other incidents....." Most truthful!!! Having been in the same three cities mentioned, Chennai, Mumbai, B'lore, can't help agreeing cent percent!!!

Anoushka
26th March 2006, 05:37 PM
yaadhum oore yaavarum kEleer... is what I say when people ask me about my home town :D

I was born in Bombay and absolutely love that place to death :lol:... a place that never sleeps, the trains stop running each day for only three hours every night, great infrastructuer, no power cuts, plenty of water, all basic amenities available in plenty, etc, etc!

I lived a major part of my life in Madras, a place that I don't like much,... I don't know why but never got attached to this place! I loved my school and my home there, a few nice things about this place is the long drives my parents used to take us to every weekend... loads of places to visit, specially love the beaches! Can't stand the fleecing "auto drivers" :( and the discomfort of travelling in a public transport where men tend to grope a lot :(

My parents are from Tirunelveli... I love my dad's little village Vaduganpatti... it has about 30 houses and not too many facilities... The bus service from Tirunelveli Jn has been operating only in the past 10-15 years and that too only 3 buses a day, no shops, no post office, one school which has classes till 5th standard! I don't think there is running water facility in any of the houses... a couple of houses have toilets in the house. But I love this place because we have a little home with a neem tree in the back yard, my grand father owns land with a well and "pump set" where we tend to spend most of the time till we get chased out of there :lol: .. All I do there is spend time in the well or sleep under the neem tree....

My mother's village is slightly bigger with more facilities, but it has lost its charm over the years. The little lane that used to be of clay is now a cement road and it is filled with houses which is filled with outsiders who don't seem to care about others anymore. Actually the two streets in that village was owned by two great grandfathers and it is all relatives that used to live there... as time went by and people moved the place is rented out to others and I find no friendly faces there anymore! I used to enjoy sitting on the "thinnai" in the house and chatting with everyone walking on the street. No one used to search for us all day long because we would get fed in any of the houses in the two streets and crash in someother house with the other children of the house for a nap :)

more about other places that I called my home later :)

RP
26th March 2006, 11:04 PM
[quote="MADDY"]Bangalore??? nice place, friendly?? man, i really think u guys are very gud.....how can u call that place a gud one???? i'm a kannadiga born in Chennai and bought up in Chennai/Mumbai, as all IT ppl.'s curse settled in B'lore.....i'll tell u the following experiences in b'lore for the 3 months i have been here:[quote]

Maddy........I can understand ur plight.......but three months is too short a time.......
I've stayed in Madurai .......hated the place in the beginning ...but miss it now!!

RP
26th March 2006, 11:07 PM
My parents are from Tirunelveli... that too only 3 buses a day, no shops, no post office, \:)

I've had the chance to be in Tirunelveli.......loved it.......it is getting busier now.

swathy
27th March 2006, 10:24 AM
Bangalore - Paradise on Earth

The worst thing is Traffic. I agree .

Other than traffic, I don't have any complaints.

I like Hyderabad next to Bangalore.

I have lot to speak about my native but not now.

selvakumar
27th March 2006, 10:33 AM
Bangalore :rotfl:

People who are living in Bangalore for years might proclaim it as the best one. But for newcomers, :sad:

Folks, Bangalore had become like a living hell these days.

I like chennai a lot. Chennai - adichukkavae mudiyaathu

1. Triplicane
2. Spencer
3. Marina Beach
4. Thiruvanmiyur beach
5. ECR Road :P

and one more important point.: The infrastructure and cost of living.

Even with Rs.2000/- I can spend the whole month in chennai. But with the same amout, I won't be able to live even 10 days in Bangalore.

Chennai rocks ! :thumbsup:

bingleguy
27th March 2006, 11:05 AM
Well well well !

So many views about the Garden City !
Lets see how far it goes ...

A point to be noted guys ... the thread has been renamed as
"Town Talk - Talk about your Town"
where in u r not talking just about ur HOME TOWN but about the TOWN u r currently living in !

So cmon guys ... we can share our ideas !
Go Ahead discuss the PLUS n MINUS of the places .... Well please do not disturb other's feelings...say it gently ...!

dev
27th March 2006, 11:33 AM
Bangalore - Paradise on Earth
The worst thing is Traffic. I agree .
Other than traffic, I don't have any complaints.

True... Though I like & miss b'lore for a lot of things, if I'm asked to go back to b'lore now, I would think twice before deciding on it... the main reason being the infrastructure & horrible traffic... I wouldn't like me or my family to spend 3-4 hrs on road to just cross a 10km stretch everyday to office & come back home fully frustrated... It really spoils one's peace of mind & the atmosphere at home... :x

rajraj
27th March 2006, 12:00 PM
dev: I lived in Bangalore in the early sixties when the population was about 12 lakhs (1.2 million). Now, it is over 60 lakhs without any corresponding improvement in infrastructure. Unplanned growth always results in crowded roads, traffic congestion and pollution. You would have liked the Bangalore of the sixties.
I visited Bangalore in 1999 and was shocked by what I saw. My favourite south parade (MG Road) was so crowded we could not find a parking slot! It used to be calm and quiet place.

dev
27th March 2006, 02:36 PM
rajraj, I have heard many stories of how b'lore used to be in the 70s & 80s, from one of my neighbour...I'm now worried that my hometown too would become a victim to sudden unplanned growth as there are news that a few IT companies have acquired land in coimbatore & accenture has started it's operations in cbe already...

Shakthiprabha.
27th March 2006, 05:41 PM
nice to know u are back to normal dev :)

Bangalore is sick initially. ONCE U get the hang, its too nice a place to forgo.

When I land up in chennai, these days, I seriously WAIT to get back to blore.

My home town is CHENNAI-Nanganallore(brought up there)
also SALEM (born there)

Would talk bout it later .

bingleguy
27th March 2006, 05:49 PM
Nanganallur ???? Anji oor ! yenakku piditha Anjaneyar kovil !

So what do u think is wrong in Blore Shakthi ?

rajraj
27th March 2006, 06:23 PM
rajraj, I'm now worried that my hometown too would become a victim to sudden unplanned growth as there are news that a few IT companies have acquired land in coimbatore & accenture has started it's operations in cbe already...

dev: Progress does not come without a price! I lived in CBE too for a few years in the 60s. I used to take a walk in the Race Course road in the evenings. You could walk along any of the roads in the evenings without inhaling any fumes. I was there a few years back. It is already overcrowded. I hope these companies locate somewhere between CBE and Mettuppalayam.

pavalamani pragasam
27th March 2006, 06:40 PM
Any place in Tamil Nadu is not like what it was in the 60's & 7o's. A sojourn in Courtallam renting a house, hiring a cook, doing only 2 things-bathing & eating enjoying the drizzle was nearly Heaven. Can we dream of it now? Our honeymoon in Kodaikanal during half season (a little off the season) was bliss. Now the place is thronging with tourists around the year! My hubby's fun-filled engineering college days in Coimbatore (very long before such things like co-ed, medical college came to that city) wanted him to take me to that place after our marriage to show all their favourite haunts. It materialised only after about a quarter century! No wonder the charm was gone!

MADDY
27th March 2006, 10:27 PM
My home town is CHENNAI-Nanganallore(brought up there) also SALEM (born there)

hey that's great.....i was also born and bought up in nanganallur only........really very nostalgic for me whenever i go there......the place that u grow gives you a inexplicable feeling........i cant forget the anjaneyar kovil days where we used to get "sakkara pongal" for girl-watching :wink: .......also, nanganallur had a brahminic feel to it which characterised the whole suburb(if i can call so)......then the roads with potholes as big as a well......and the thing that defined nanganallur was "ranga theater", where i used to watch kamal movies first day first show......(TFM page and tamil films section guys wont believe that i was a kamal fan :lol: ).....there are many more things i can recollect and numerous feelings that gather in my mind when i think abt nanganalllur, but it is very hard to put it in words........cos it is my birthplace....true there are some feelings which cant be desrcibed.... :cry:

SP, by any chance are u from Modern school??? :D

Shakthiprabha.
27th March 2006, 11:21 PM
haiyooooooo maddy

:D

I am not from modern school. I know lots of friends though. I studied in st.domic.s

nangallore............. stores lot of me....... my memories.
how can i ever forget.

the anjaneyar kovil, guruvayoor koil (used to be my fav)

btw,

ranga theatre is now renamed to i dunno what now :D

maddy,

which year u passed?

are u from modern school?

Shakthiprabha.
27th March 2006, 11:23 PM
ah...... so much to say........ needs time to coin as words......

Modern school used to be POLLING spot during elections. Ive come that time, (also when my cousin used to give performances for annual day)

solona
28th March 2006, 03:58 AM
My birth place was Pondicherry, a wonderful town.I spend all my childhood and my teenage there. The french touch, Auroville, the great beaches, manakoola vinayagar temple, sunday shop, big market. I miss soo much my home town. I left India 12 years ago just after my marriage to an NRI, but I terribly miss India, my good old Pondy, I try to come atleast once a year, when I see the MADRAS INTERNATIONAL TERMINAL through the flight window, tears come out and tears also when I see the same while taking off..............

I do all my possible to give my daughters (5 and 8) the love for India, I take the often there show our rich culture and tell that INDIA IS THE BEST PLACE TO LIVE IN THE WHOLE WORLD
and my elder daughter asked"then why did you leave India ma ?

How can I explain all the things about arranged marriage and stuff, let she grow up hmmmmm.......

ANYONE FROM PONDY THERE

goodsense
28th March 2006, 05:00 AM
Some of us have lived in more than one town that we regard the first or last or all of them as home town. And of course, depending on how we feel about them (based on our experience) we decide whether to regard them as home town or not.

From this and for me, I would have to agree with Jim Reeves: "This world is not my home, I am just passing through".

However, I would like to think of the town I was born in and spent most of my childhood as my home-town (although it is the poorest and most primative). The way I feel there, I don't feel that way anywhere (had some good fun days there). But living in different towns (and some for longer priods than my initial home town), the definition of home can mean different things in each of them. This is why Jim Reeves came to mind :? Living in them, but not really belonged to or attached to them. May not make sense to some people :(

dev
28th March 2006, 07:16 AM
nice to know u are back to normal dev :)

Bangalore is sick initially. ONCE U get the hang, its too nice a place to forgo.

When I land up in chennai, these days, I seriously WAIT to get back to blore.

My home town is CHENNAI-Nanganallore(brought up there)
also SALEM (born there)

Would talk bout it later .

SP,

I actually liked B'lore initially when we were staying in Sanjay Nagar & my husb was working out of his office in MG road... the road from MG road to Sanjay nagar wasn't very crowded even during peak hrs & Sanjay nagar too was a very nice place...not very conjested & stuff...
But when we moved to BTM & S started working in electronic city, it became horrible...It used to take atleast 3 hrs from him everyday on road... Luckily for us, we moved out of b'lore within 2 months of moving to that house... here in Singapore, his work place is a 15 mins walk from home & should I tell you how very happy & relieved I was...

Having said all these, I still like b'lore... it still hsn't lost all its charm...except for the traffic & infrastructure I don't have any complaints abt b'lore...:)

dev
28th March 2006, 07:21 AM
[quote=dev]
dev: Progress does not come without a price! I lived in CBE too for a few years in the 60s. I used to take a walk in the Race Course road in the evenings. You could walk along any of the roads in the evenings without inhaling any fumes. I was there a few years back. It is already overcrowded. I hope these companies locate somewhere between CBE and Mettuppalayam.

True... The infrastructure in cbe is just sufficient for the current population... any new drastic growth without imrovement in infrastructure, we'll be paying the price... A few companies have opened up office in Kuamraguru's(KCT) IT park campus...ie between cbe & sathyamangalam road...

bingleguy
28th March 2006, 09:53 AM
Has b'lore grown so bad in infrastructure ???

dev
28th March 2006, 10:04 AM
Has b'lore grown so bad in infrastructure ???

The problem is, infrastructure hasn't grown enough...:) If U want to chk it out, try travelling from MG road to electronic city during peak hrs... Recently, heard from my friend that he was in b'lore & wanted to drop his BIL at work in e-city... he said they satrted at around 8.30 in the moring from BTM layout when he returned back home it was around 12... :shock: His BIl who moved to b'lore recently, tried travelling by car for the first few days,then took a taxi for the next few days as he was fedup with the traffic & didn't want to drive & since taxis weren't economical, he travels by the company bus these days...

bingleguy
28th March 2006, 10:09 AM
Hmn ... interesting ! well probably they ve not anticipated the growth, n wanted to manage with the existing infrastructure .... n did nothing to improve the same ! Throw some light on the flaws !

Shakthiprabha.
28th March 2006, 05:03 PM
City is expanding. I am sure its the same in chennai and mumbai.

unfortunately, we do not have metro trains or proper public transport facility. (metro train is the current project which is on....... not sure how many years it would take)

Flyovers are supposed to create less chaos, unfortunately, the diversion and yet another diversion introduced everyday, confuses the traveller takin him to extreme level of frustration.

The route u would find today wont be available for u after a month ! :roll:

I suppose, since the geography of bangalore is circular in shape adds to the unruly bedlam

bingleguy
28th March 2006, 05:13 PM
The route u would find today wont be available for u after a month !

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

swathy
28th March 2006, 05:15 PM
[tscii:706bcc725f]My home town is Madurai.

This temple city is synonymous with the celebrated Meenakshi Temple.

Madurai is situated on the banks of river Vaigai.

Madurai was an important cultural and commercial centre even as early as 550 AD.

It was the capital city for the great Pandya kings.

Madurai is famous for Jasmine Flowers.

Madurai is famous for its temples.The Aappudaiyaar Koyil Tevara Stalam and the Koodalazhagar Divya Desam are the most important temples one should rarely miss to go. In the vicinity of Madurai is Tirupparamkunram, one of the 6 padai veedu shrines of Murugan (glorified in Madurai Sangam Nakeerar’s Tirumurugaatruppadai). Also in the vicinity of Madurai is Alagar Koyil, one of the prominent Divya Desam shrines of the Sri Vaishnavite faith.

Madurai was the seat of the Tamil Sangam or Academy of learning.

Thanks madurai.com :-)[/tscii:706bcc725f]

bingleguy
28th March 2006, 05:19 PM
Madurai was the state that was not captured by the Cholas n they did not have a fight over that place coz it was possessing thamizh sangam i guess

kannannn
28th March 2006, 05:41 PM
City is expanding. I am sure its the same in chennai and mumbai.

I agree. But I squarely blame the government for the chaos that is Bangalore today. All companies set up their bases in Bangalore and as a result development was not spread out over the state. By the time the government offered companies better deals for setting up facilities in Mysore, the damage had been done. Dharam Singh was more interested in saving his own government, while the problems spiralled to such an extent that Wipro was at loggerheads with the governement over the lack of proper roads.

unfortunately, we do not have metro trains or proper public transport facility. (metro train is the current project which is on....... not sure how many years it would take)
You can say that again. Even the debate over the cost is unsettled. And the land aquisition plan has met with strict opposition (it always does everywhere, but not as strong as it is with this project).

Flyovers are supposed to create less chaos, unfortunately, the diversion and yet another diversion introduced everyday, confuses the traveller takin him to extreme level of frustration.
Think flyover, think Bannerghatta Road! The flyover has been under construction for so long now, and the road has become so pot-hole ridden that I even had second thoughts about taking up a job offer from a company situated on that road.

I suppose, since the geography of bangalore is circular in shape adds to the unruly bedlam
No SP. Bangalore is not unique in it's shape. There are many cities that are circular and well maintained. That cannot be an excuse.

Kannadigas and Karnataka have a unique culture and I love being in their midst. But unfortunately, Bangalore is no longer the place where you can expect to find that culture. I was lucky enough to live in Malleswaram, a place still largely untouched by the rigors of modern cosmopolitan life.

bingleguy
28th March 2006, 05:47 PM
Wow Kannann ...... r u n Malleswaram ???? Thats a nice place ... far away from all the horrible noise n dust n traffic !

But sometimes there too it happens ... u know how small s that sampige road n margosa road ! thank god they made it one way !

Well Ys, malles is more different from the city ... even Basavangudi is like that too ! But beware tis slowly starting in that place too ...

Do u guys have any comments on the ppl coming to the Cafe Coffee day ... some are students, some are boys with girlfriends ... n some more are NOTICED too .... i guess ! I see a different world in those places ...... Am sorry to say that ! i see decent crowd less in those places ... Forthe first time i had been there to coffee day, n probably i dont want to go there again !

Shakthiprabha.
28th March 2006, 06:03 PM
kannan,

So u are a bangalorean?

yup malleswaram and other places are not touched still.
I can say rajaji nagar and indrra nagar too.

South bangalore is worst hit (jp nagar, b.g. road etc) with IT BASE.

Land values hiked up in south bangalore cause these IT culture.

Like what once Ive read, THEY DID NOT PLAN FOR FUTURE scope or expansion. The present CM atleast seem to TALK SOMETHING.

I am happy he is atleast TALKIN. Earlier one was not even doing that.

bg,

Regarding decent crowd, its their personal affair, as long as we dont get nosy and allow them to be spared, it should not be a big deal.

bingleguy
28th March 2006, 06:05 PM
Do u say bringing in some girls(dont wanna tell)
n hugging n kissing touching in private places in front of a huge crowd in a cafe is their Private thing ... If that is the case... ya thats a wrong statement

Shakthiprabha.
28th March 2006, 06:09 PM
:oops:

k sorry. :roll:

digression

hugging/kissing is affection shown publicly in public places. Weve discussed enough bout it before.

Some feel therez nothing wrong in exhibiting the same.

Its fine, provided the affection is NOT

for prolonged time.

(FLEETING hug or kiss in public places is becoming common :roll: )

end digression

bingleguy
28th March 2006, 06:12 PM
Oh ! Sorry for becoming little emotional !
Anyways ... things like this disturb me a lot .... certain private activities are better done private .... !

c u tomorrow :wave:

Shakthiprabha.
28th March 2006, 06:13 PM
:)

:wave:

kannannn
28th March 2006, 06:37 PM
SP, yes I was a Bangalorean for 5 years and planning to be again from next year after my short hiatus here in UK. In fact, Malleswaram is a very nice place to hang out (In contrast, MG road is too crowded and finding a place to park your vehicle is an exercise in futility). Yes, Rajajinagar too is good. But you need to go to the interiors of Rajajinagar to find peace. And as you mentioned, the less said about south Bangalore the better.

bingleguy, I used to visit Coffeeday at Malleswaram almost everyday and never found anything undescribable. Yes, students from Ramiah college used to hang out there too, but there was nothing out of the ordinary. And even if they was a mild public display of affection, can you blame them? It's the age.

swathy
28th March 2006, 06:49 PM
Madurai was the state that was not captured by the Cholas n they did not have a fight over that place coz it was possessing thamizh sangam i guess

As early as the 3rd century BC, Megasthanes visited Madurai. Later many people from Rome and Greece visited Madurai and established trade with the Pandya kings. Madurai flourished till 10th century AD when it was captured by Cholas the arch rivals of the Pandyas.

S.Balaji
28th March 2006, 07:22 PM
Dear All

My native is THIRUVANNAMALAI . However, I was brought up in Chennai . I was in Mumbai for 9 looong years before taking up an overseas assignment in Angola .

You all know, the main deity in Thiruvannamalai is Lord Arunachaleswarar alias Annamalaiyaar and the Goddess name is Abithakujambal alias Unnamalai amman ...

My relatives are still around there and I make it a point to visit the town atleast once in a year....

Wish to mention about Thiruvannamalai :

Seshadri Swamigal and Ramana Maharishi lived there for several years....there are ashrams exist in the same place they lived and its a tourist attraction.

The temple is huge ...it has 3 tanks !

Though Kaarthigai month sees huge devotees to this temple, now a days every pournami, people throng to have a girivalam which is believed to be very sacred...

Its believed that even now, lots of rishis and sants are living in disguise around Thiruvannamalai....

Arunagirinathar , the great man lived in Thiruvannamalai and he had a virtual rebirth right before the temple through Lord Muruga...who asked him to refocus his life towards devotion.....

His thirupugaz is being recited across India now by all Tamils.....

I feel proud to be a native of Thiruvannamalai

swathy
28th March 2006, 07:34 PM
I have heard much abt thiruvannamalai. good place :-)

S.Balaji
28th March 2006, 08:02 PM
Swathy

From Chennai , it will take 5 hours roughly to reach Thiruvannamalai.
The climate will be extremely hot during summer
There is little water available...

I wonder how the town manages to cater to laksh of devotees during the Karthigai month !

rocketboy
28th March 2006, 09:16 PM
Think flyover, think Bannerghatta Road! The flyover has been under construction for so long now, and the road has become so pot-hole ridden that I even had second thoughts about taking up a job offer from a company situated on that road.

i reckon you are talking about htsl here :? am i right ?

RP
28th March 2006, 10:52 PM

i reckon you are talking about htsl here :? am i right ?

FOOD IN BANGALORE...
.......Has anyone had meals at the Ajanta Mess at Seshadripuram......dingy place but foods great!!
Dosas at Samarat(Chalukya)........the health drinks in Cubbon Park(after a morning walk)........the chat off Commercial street?........or the food at the by-lanes of V Vpuram?
:tongueout:

NM
29th March 2006, 04:25 AM
No matter where I am now, the place where I grew up will always be my hometown....it reinds me of the things i did when i was small, the friends i played with, the schools i went to, the house we used to live - Taiping, an old town in the north of malaysia, that's the name of my hometown.
'Taiping' means 'peace' and it has many firsts ...museum, hill resort, jail, railway track and it has one of the oldest schools like Treacher Methodist (that's where I studied), St George, Convent, King Edward. It's a very quiet town, with beautiful lake gardens right in the town centre. It's also known as pensioner's paradise. Only people who lived in Taiping (or small towns) will appreciate this place as many of friends from bigger cities called it a 'deadtown'... :cry:

bingleguy
29th March 2006, 08:42 AM
bingleguy, I used to visit Coffeeday at Malleswaram almost everyday and never found anything undescribable. Yes, students from Ramiah college used to hang out there too, but there was nothing out of the ordinary. And even if they was a mild public display of affection, can you blame them? It's the age.
<dign>
Probably when was the last time that u visited that place .... sorry dude, i had recently ! :( well i guess u ve not read my statement completely... There is a difference between showing ur affection to ur wife or GF and somebody else !

Well lets stop it here .... i just shared wat was seen ! Justification of private practices in public places (what some ppl call as affection) is not that i would vote for ! Sorry
Well lets stop it here ....
:-)
</dign>

bingleguy
29th March 2006, 08:46 AM
Is anybody there from Kanyakumari ! That place i ve not visited till date ... though i ve been in TN for more than 20 years !

Can somebody share their experiences about that place !

swathy
29th March 2006, 11:53 AM
cancer is from kanyakumari

bingleguy
29th March 2006, 12:05 PM
avaru yenga poittaru swathy ... inga vandhu konjam inputs kodukka sollungalen

cancer
29th March 2006, 12:14 PM
:roll:

swathy
29th March 2006, 12:14 PM
avang inniki konjam busya irukkanga . inform panni aachu vandhiduvaanga

cancer
29th March 2006, 12:20 PM
Kannan i m in malleswaram now.... i know very well that foodworld cafee day...

and Bg my native place is Kanyakumari..

bingleguy
29th March 2006, 12:21 PM
Great to hear that Cancer...... neengalum Malles gang aaaa ;-) well tell abt ur Kanyakumari ....

cancer
29th March 2006, 12:28 PM
Great to hear that Cancer...... neengalum Malles gang aaaa ;-) well tell abt ur Kanyakumari ....

wat info u need frm me... tell me.. :)

bingleguy
29th March 2006, 12:33 PM
i ve not seen that oor ..... Vivekananda rock n THiruvalluvar statue .. is all what i know abt kanyakumari ... probably kanyakumari temple too .. wat else is famous in Cape ?

swathy
29th March 2006, 01:48 PM
Category : What is a sidewalk?
Rest of India : Shopping center/Homeless Shelter/ Site of temple
Bangalore : Two-wheeler lane

Category :Autos
Rest of India : Run on Petrol/CNG
Bangalore Run on Kerosene

Category :Places where you can fill petrol/Diesel
Rest of India : Petrol Pumps
Bangalore Petrol Bunks (or Banks)

Category :How do cops stop your vehicle
Rest of India : Wave hand
Bangalore Stand in front of the moving vehicle

Category :Bribe paid to police if caught without documents
Rest of India : 100 Fixed rate 100 normally,
Bangalore 200 or more if you are an IT/Call centre guy.

Category :Worst Enemy
Rest of India : Pakistan
Bangalore TamilNadu

Category :Most Hated person
Rest of India : Pervez Musharraf
Bangalore Deve Gowda

Category :Reasons for rioting
Rest of India : Religion/ sacking of cricket player
Bangalore Water

Category :Favourite pastime of residents
Rest of India : Discussing why politicians suck/ why Sourav was dropped?.
Bangalore Counting potholes

Category :Front Page news
Rest of India : How their undercover reporters exposed MP's.(Note: Bury the story if your channel/newspaper doesn't have the exclusive).
Bangalore Reporting number of Potholes especially ones that lie in the way of Mr. Narayan Murthy/ The Prasad Biddappa(who is he?) summer/winter/monsoon fashion tips.

Category :What News Paper editorials talk about
Rest of India : Is dropping Ganguly good or bad for Indian cricket?.
Bangalore How closing pubs at 11 affect the IT industry.

Category :English Spoken
Rest of India : With regional accent
Bangalore With California/New York accent.

Category :Languages Spoken
Rest of India : Hindi/English/Regional
Bangalore Every language on the planet.

Category :Reasons for traffic Jams
Rest of India : Cows on the road
Bangalore Flyover construction/ VIP visiting Infosys.

Category :Land grabbers
Rest of India : Mafia/Politicians
Bangalore Software Companies

Category :Historical Sites
Rest of India : Statues/ Buildings/ Temples
Bangalore Half constructed Flyovers.

Category :Frequent Complaints about Govt Departments
Rest of India : Corrupt/ Lazy etc
Bangalore Don't have websites, Emails bounce

pavalamani pragasam
29th March 2006, 09:28 PM
:lol: :clap:

Shakthiprabha.
29th March 2006, 09:39 PM
:D nice.

I lvoed this esp

///////////Category :Historical Sites
Bangalore Half constructed Flyovers. /////////////////

ssanjinika
29th March 2006, 09:53 PM
:lol: :excellent:

kannannn
29th March 2006, 10:29 PM
rocketboy, yes.

FOOD IN BANGALORE...
.......Has anyone had meals at the Ajanta Mess at Seshadripuram......dingy place but foods great!!
Dosas at Samarat(Chalukya)........the health drinks in Cubbon Park(after a morning walk)........the chat off Commercial street?........or the food at the by-lanes of V Vpuram?
:tongueout:
I do enjoy the chaat food at commercial street. And I love the dosa at Woodlands restaurant on commercial street. The cofee there is also good. Apart from that I rarely go to veg. restaurants in Bangalore :(. But I can tell you all about the N.veg restaurants though :lol:.

my native place is Kanyakumari..

I vividly remember the Kanyakumari Amman temple that I visited in my school days. At first I failed to notice the 'Mookuthi' on the Amman, but realised later that what I had taken to be the burning lamp is actually the 'Mookuthi'. I have heard that many a ship mistook the 'Mookuthi' to be the light from the light-house and ran ashore. Is it true?

Shakthiprabha.
29th March 2006, 10:36 PM
health drink at almost all parks
Tandoor at MG road
Grameen at kormangala
Queens at Residency road
Amaravathy(andra)@ residency road
Bayleaf @ kormangala
Main-land-china
Kathambam @ jayanagar
Dosa and woodies (not woodlands)
Dosa at dosacamp
Dosa at SLV (jpnagar)
Dosa at krishnacafe (kormangala)
Dosa at kathambam
Dosa at almost all places..... (good quality insisteD)

signed hereby
dosa freak,
Shakthiprabha

I would love to visit HALLIMANE in malleswaram....
Heard a lot bout it. (esp wanna try AKKI-ROTI)

kannannn
29th March 2006, 10:43 PM
SP, never make the mistake of going to Hallimane. The food is pathetic, the service is pathetic and above all, the crowd jostles you around with utter disregard. If at all you are going to Malleswaram try Gopika Restaurant near Malleswaram circle. You get much better food at much better service.

dsath
30th March 2006, 01:38 AM
Nothing about Hyderabad yet? I was there for a year and loved the place inspite of the pollution and very bad traffic. The autos there are very good. Mostly they don't cheat (it was new for me esp after my experience with Chennai autos). Didn't know the language, but its a heaven for all foodies. The layered briyani (in Paradise) is yummy. Its a charming city, full of colour and nice people.This was a long time ago. Don't know how its now.

pavalamani pragasam
30th March 2006, 08:34 AM
About Kanyakumari: It is an awe-inspiring pleasure to look at the dazzling 'mookkuththi' of the presiding deity. The legends about its light misleading ships are true, hence the precautionay step of keeping the eastern entrance gate(which gives a direct view of the deity's face) of the temple closed!

Shakthiprabha.
30th March 2006, 11:00 AM
oh ok kannan. Now, I am hearing another version.....

would remember gopika rest too :)

I am fond of akki-roti (only when its piping hot....... and served well with nice kadala chutney...I was told its famous in hallimanE............. )

I would check out in gopika too.

RP
31st March 2006, 09:49 AM
[b]Bangalore Counting potholes

Category :Reasons for traffic Jams
Rest of India : Cows on the road
Bangalore Flyover construction/ VIP visiting Infosys.

Category :Historical Sites
Bangalore Half constructed Flyovers.

bounce

EXCELLENT!!
Only place in the world with a police-manned signal ON A FLY OVER!!!

bingleguy
31st March 2006, 09:50 AM
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Manned signal on a flyover ;-) that too vehicles crossing in the form of an X

RP
31st March 2006, 09:57 AM
More Food Joints
Lassi and Kulfi at Sreeraj
Jalebis...Off commercials
Rasgulla-KC Das................

I'm a Beverage (Cofee/Tea)Freak but I'm not happy with the TEA anywhere in B'lore....any suggestions??

Arthi
31st March 2006, 09:59 AM
Swathy: Kalakkal :clap:

bingleguy
31st March 2006, 10:03 AM
I will tell u a place where u get Great LIME tea ! Tis near the Mosque on the Hosur road, near Balwin's school ... n just few yards from Vellara Junction(Shoolaay circle)
He prepares great tea, with lemon dipped in that ! may not be like baristaa or cafe n place ... but taste is good ! forgot the name of the shop ! but tis very next to the mosque

RP
31st March 2006, 10:05 AM
[b]Category :Autos
Rest of India : Run on Petrol/CNG

[

Swathy would like to add
Category :Auto-Drivers
Rest Of India:Go in the direction the passenger wants to travel
Bangalore:Passengers need to go in the direction the AUTO driver wants him/her to go!!!

bingleguy
31st March 2006, 10:09 AM
:lol:

Lambretta
31st March 2006, 11:11 AM
Nothing about Hyderabad yet? I was there for a year and loved the place inspite of the pollution and very bad traffic. The autos there are very good. Mostly they don't cheat (it was new for me esp after my experience with Chennai autos). Didn't know the language, but its a heaven for all foodies. The layered briyani (in Paradise) is yummy. Its a charming city, full of colour and nice people.This was a long time ago. Don't know how its now.
Well, from my last vist last month, I wud say its more or less the same sitll....esp. Charminar/old city....reg. Autos yea they still r relatively honest, turning on the meters etc....except at Secunderabad Station if u catch one from there ( :evil: ).....and yea, nothing new abt the state of traffic there! :D

bingleguy
31st March 2006, 11:14 AM
Lambretta u r from Vizag ... my friend al;ways used to boast about this city ..... heard tis really awesome ... can u share those experiences !

Lambretta
31st March 2006, 11:17 AM
Category :Autos
Same thing in Hyd./Vizag! :lol:

Category :What News Paper editorials talk about
Rest of India : Is dropping Ganguly good or bad for Indian cricket?.
Bangalore How closing pubs at 11 affect the IT industry.
:lol:

Lambretta
31st March 2006, 02:09 PM
Lambretta u r from Vizag ... my friend al;ways used to boast about this city ..... heard tis really awesome ... can u share those experiences !
Um....nope I'm not FROM Vizag..... :) I'm actually from Hyd., hence my post abt it.....
I happen to jus LIVE in Vizag at the present! :D
Hmm.....well, I wud say its awesome w- respect to the beach (where the film Ek Duje Ke liye was shot back then! :) ) but infrastrucutre-wise it of course has a long waz to go comp'd to the lvel 1 cities!
OK sure, I'll describe it more in detail (esp. the positive points! :D ) once I'm back home.....! :)

RP
7th April 2006, 10:41 PM
ITS HOT........ITS HOT............................................... .................................................. .................................................. ........Bangalores really hot :o (no pun intended......strictly speaking about this summer of Bangalore ) :shock:

Anoushka
10th June 2006, 06:24 PM
Kiruthiga: I've revived the thread, please post :)

Hummingbird
10th June 2006, 06:30 PM
Sure Anu! Thanx. Innaikudan mudalla hubla vandadala innum konjam pazhaganum ungala madhri same time different topicsla post panradhu.
so naalaiku try panren indha topica. anyway i have stored the url.
:)

malsi
10th June 2006, 07:31 PM
i am from Penang Island ( Malaysia )..guess you guys must hv heard abt it..it was a little bit affected by Tsunami...and there are a lot of MNC(s) here ..especially in the area I live..and many Indian expatriates (software specialists and engineers ) stay in this area..its an upcoming place..and a fav among tourists..if any of you guys happen to come here..pls inform me..I would love to take you around...

Anoushka
11th June 2006, 12:13 AM
Thanks for your offer malsi... Penang has more than MNCs... The food in Penang is lovely, the temples, the beaches.... I remember doing para-sailing in Penang :)

malsi
11th June 2006, 01:07 PM
oh thats nice anoushka..when did u come here ?..where are you from?..

crazy
11th June 2006, 04:03 PM
i have bad luck today!
i will write about my birth place tommorrow!

Anoushka
11th June 2006, 05:09 PM
Malsi: I was in Malaysia around Xmas 2003! :) I live in Ireland now for the past eight years :)

mgb
11th June 2006, 05:52 PM
Malsi.. don't forget to mention the fishery items available in penang.. :tongueout:

malsi
11th June 2006, 07:51 PM
oh grt..dont tell me u hv been here too??..