PDA

View Full Version : IR :: Ram Gopal Varma :: Shiva - redux

Observer_Is_Back
25th March 2006, 06:59 AM
http://d.indiafm.com/videos/ram/06/shivapromo150.ram

Watch out for the credits at the end. This re-teaming was hinted at at the commencement of the movie, but I was skeptical. Here's proof positive.

First reactions: The movie itself appears to be a tiresome reiteration of Varma-tropes, but it should be interesting to hear the veteran composer's work in this context, especially after the very high-calibre scores by the Chowtas and Mohiles for the Factory. Will the maestro sound dated, or will he out-maneuver the digital brigade? Though the sound in that promo is atrocious, it still offers hope for the latter possibility.

Shiva - Hindi (2006)

Actors : Mohit Alawat, Nisha Kothari, Shereveer Vakil, Suchitra Pillai
Director : Ram Gopal Varma
Movie Name : Shiva-Hindi (2006)
Music Director : Ilayaraja
Producer : Ram Gopal Varma
Year : 2006

Dheemi Dheemi Singer : Shreya Ghoshal
Josh Mein Singer : Chorus, Yesudas K J
Kaise Kahen Singer : Roop Kumar Rathod, Sadhna Sargam
Police Police Singer : Ninad Kamat, Shweta Pandit
Saara Yeh Alaam Singer : Roop Kumar Rathod, Shreya Ghoshal
Shapath Singer : Chorus, Ilayaraja

Listen: http://www.musicindiaonline.com/l/17/s/movie_name.8571/

krish244
25th March 2006, 03:31 PM
Observer_Is_Back, thanks for the link! Indeed a glad news! I guess this movie will be mostly dependent on BGM and the promo music sounds different, good & promising. At the max, the movie could feature one melodious song & one "adada.." (Pithamagan) kind of song playing in the BGM!

Lets hope for the best.

Thanks,

Krishnan

krish244
25th March 2006, 03:55 PM
better quality file...but I guess only picture is better....sound is still not good.

http://d.indiafm.com/videos/rm/06/shivapromo220.rm

Thanks,

Krishnan

rajasaranam
25th March 2006, 07:50 PM
So Finally, RGV succeeded in Roping in Raja :) The Promo Sound is too bad and I hope for a better quality file soon. Well by watever is heard it sound promising though :) thx Observer.

MADDY
25th March 2006, 11:21 PM
i guess, after a long time, raja sir is working with a BIG name......will be really interesting to listen to it....

njv
30th March 2006, 10:06 PM
this shiva is not the Shiva II in telugu. This is RGV's pathetic attempt to remake James, only this time to be directed by himself. Music is by IR interestingly.

Shiva II starring Nagarjun is expected for Diwali this year, music by IR.

rajasaranam
31st March 2006, 02:35 PM
njv,

this doesnt seem to be James version 2. In James the story revolved around a hitman while the trailers of 'Shiva-Theman' suggests that the hero is a police officer :huh:

njv
31st March 2006, 06:11 PM
I didnt see James, so I might be wrong. I mentioned it based on what others talk about this movie in other forums, but as long as our maestro is the music, I will watch it.

Hulkster
15th April 2006, 04:13 PM
You guys should actually be expecting this cos the last real action-packed movie depicting gangsters that illayaraja scored for turned out to be almost the best album illayaraja ever produced(Thalapathy). Who knows if a really fresh and out of the world album might be coming out.

(PS. not only thalapathy...movies depicting violence like devar magan, heyram and virumaandi had exemplary tunes so expecting shiva to be another illayaraja classic can be of no wrong whatsoever)

rajasaranam
8th August 2006, 08:48 PM
its time we brought this thread to top :swinghead: :2thumbsup: :cool2:

july
9th August 2006, 11:03 AM
i just listen Shiva (Hindi)..guess what...songs are awesome...lot of live instrument involved..IR himself sung 1 song Shapath (its sound great)
never know IR will compose for hindi film and sing too..Good luck for him...
What are other Hindi album that IR scored ????

Hulkster
9th August 2006, 12:00 PM
Mr July...please give us the link where the shiva songs you listened to are placed...i too want to hear raja's mesmerising touch come in hindi :notworthy:

Sanjeevi
9th August 2006, 12:19 PM
I heared one song. That is awesome. Eagerly waiting for complete album. :D :thumbsup:

rajasaranam
9th August 2006, 05:52 PM
And here is the link for Shiva 2006
http://rapidshare.de/files/28755604/Shiva__2006_.rar
Download and enjoy folks! and post your reviews
Four songs are rehash
1.Police Police = Botany paadam
2.Shapath - New Song
3.Kaise Kahen = emane cheli as posted by Teja
4.Josh Mein = Vidiya Vidiya nadanam
5.Saara Yeh Alaam = Aanandha Raagam ketkum kaalam
6.Dheemi Dheemi - New song at least for me

The songs sound awesome and have been changed a lot to sound contemporary retaining the original tunes in parts :2thumbsup:
Lets see how the northies receive it :? If they dont receive it well, well its their Lose anyway :P :angry2:

inetk
9th August 2006, 07:18 PM
100 words.
http://itwofs.com/milliblog/

tmrrmt
10th August 2006, 02:11 AM
Guys, 'Saara yeh alam!' ROCKS!

IR has used some xtra violas n cellos n the effect is amazing!

it all now rests with a decent reviewer giving a review

app_engine
10th August 2006, 03:37 AM
dheemi dheemi is a winner!

sats
10th August 2006, 08:29 AM
IMHO

"Saara Yeh Alam" does not even come closer to the original. I prefer the original. Shreya Ghosal hasnt done justice to the song when compared to Uma Ramanan. No need to tell anything about Rathod the male singer. :roll:

bobgalee
10th August 2006, 02:52 PM
The much awaited songs of Shivaa are released.

The main reason behind the expectation may be due to the reasons
1. The names behind the album IR AND Ram Gopal Verma.
2.A bollywood album by IR after a loong time.

Whether the album lived upto expections ??????????

Well the answer to this tricky question is NO becoz

The album is a rip off or rehash of telugu/tamil tracks by IR .

1.Police Police- A rehash of the song Botany from Shiva (Telugu).

2.Josh Mein by Yesudas is a rip off of Vidiya Vidiya Nadanam from Tamil Film Idayathai Thirudaathe with slight variations.

3.Saara Yeh Aalam - A duet version of the classic Aanantha Ragam Ketkum Kaalam from Tamil film Panneer Pushpangal.

4.Shapath-A percussion/mantra style dominated track rendered by Maestro himself is the theme song of the album.

5. Kaise Kahen by Sadhna Sargam & Roop Kumar Rathod is pretty decent which reminds Ninaivo Oru Paravai from Sigappu Rojakkal(especially listen the start).

6.Dheeme Dheeme- The pick of the album.The solo from the young
nightingale Shreya is classy.If this song reminds any previous work from maestro,Anybody cud comment.(Sorry for my poor memory regardin this track).

Lets hope that BGM lifts the film to greater heights like Telugu Version

Sorry for startin a separate thread on this

natha1729
14th August 2006, 11:40 PM
I listened to IR' bouyant and interesting new release Shiva quite a few times. My first impression stands still, and I like to rank them as follows:

1. Josh Mein ****

IR brings real energy back in a long time since Sambu (Telugu) . I've not heard this exciting perscussion in any song anywhere and with fantastic fantastic opening lines and chorus from anyone in 3 decades. (except for some irritating IR phrasing in the charanam)

2. Dheeme Dheeme - good tune structure

3. Shapath - this is definitely Depeche Mode type dark composition. I really want to have IR' equivalent of a "Violator" type dramatic synth phrasing "cut-the-crap" type song soon, and I have seen IR in DM mode in some of his earlier songs of the 90s.

4. Kaise Kahen - so "perfectly" catchy, melodic and soft, that I got bored with it after 5 listens!! One thing, the rhythm is superb.

I thought one of the songs had a Ray Parker "Ghostbuster" type prelude. It sounded great!!!

5. Police Police - I don't know how this song was popular or is any interesting, when IR had better "college campus" song.

6. Sara Yeh Alam - sounded like IR hesitatingly brought this treasure to hindi, and was asked to make it "accessible" to the beggar-singers in the Mumbai trains. Maybe a marketing tool. IR cut out most of the brilliance in the original, I think used the bass line of the tamil song as the actual charanam itself!!!!

Overall, IR has gifted one of his biggest fans, RGVerma, and has given us a definite collection for a 10.1 surround sound! I still doubt IR has much consideration for North audience, and unless factors weigh heavily on him, he is not going to be inspired to waste emotions or time for Hindi movies.

Vysar
15th August 2006, 04:24 PM
old wine in a new bottle but stinks. Again Raja disappoints!

bingleguy
15th August 2006, 04:49 PM
:roll:

Renault
15th August 2006, 07:50 PM
Guys,

Oru hindi padatahukku this music by OR is way way way above their benchmarks..

IR has ideally done what is needed to take the essence of Ananda Raagam to Shaara eh alaam...

natha1729
16th August 2006, 07:44 AM
Shiva' music is same as Mumbai Express, somehow more enjoyable. This style is 70s/80s, so will not cut it. I think today Indian music needs cut-the-crap-alapanas/noisyinterludes + all those stupid humma humma and chaiyya chaiyyas bs, which is fashionable now. That means every composer including Rahman is simply landfill.

...Oru hindi padatahukku this music by OR is way way way above their benchmarks...

we are overrating IR as better than Hindi composers in their own territory. IR has not come up even one (except for Hey Bahua, a holi song in Mahaadev) regional sounding Hindi tune (like a great Kishore number like Hey Paage Gungroo or a really melodious number like they are used to from LataM)

IR is too stylish and too western for Hindi (Hindi has always sounded regional and "folksy" (not stylized or folkish like IR or Tamil in general.)

Hence, I am expecting more irrelevant and out of tune and out of time and too much nothing music for Amitabh' Cheeni Kum form IR.

IR, please don't force your style of music in Hindi. IR has still enough energy and inspiration to reinvent music and help those ARR's and SEL's, including KR to cut the crap and get to the point type music. OLD is GOLD, and now it is out of place, man!

MusicIsLife
16th August 2006, 08:41 AM
Nathal1729

I dont find anything wrong in SEL style or ARR style of music, the "Get to the Point Type" might be different from MD to MD, IR has been classy in a different way, ARR and SEL are different. It was advertised that IR's music for these two movies will be old songs rehash, i dont know why we are disappointed by that!!

MusicIsLife
16th August 2006, 09:26 AM
By the way where do u get to hear Shiva songs? I just saw a bit in B4u music!!

MADDY
16th August 2006, 10:11 AM
IR, please don't force your style of music in Hindi. IR has still enough energy and inspiration to reinvent music and help those ARR's and SEL's, including KR to cut the crap and get to the point type music. OLD is GOLD, and now it is out of place, man!

get a life dude.....ARR can give authentic north-indian folk music and is a huge name in north...he neednt look up to anyone to get fresh music......his experimntations in the past 4 yrs has been appreciated by the man himself - Ilayaraja......i dunt think IR can be wrong in his observation isnt it??......btw, ARR is also OLD.......

and largely, HFM is good on quality now..........they are really going global.......only TFM needs point type music which is reeling under dappankuthhus and remixes.....

and who is KR in bollywood?

sorry guys couldnt control :D .....guys, where can i listen to dheemi dheemi song??? i'm really tempted by ur comments.....

krish244
16th August 2006, 11:11 AM
MusicIsLife/Maddy,

You can listen to the songs at http://www.musicindiaonline.com/l/17/s/movie_name.8571/

Also check out "IR New Albums - Ver 2006" thread. Rajasaranam has given link to the mp3 files.

thanks,

Krishnan

MADDY
16th August 2006, 11:20 AM
MusicIsLife/Maddy,

You can listen to the songs at http://www.musicindiaonline.com/l/17/s/movie_name.8571/

Also check out "IR New Albums - Ver 2006" thread. Rajasaranam has given link to the mp3 files.

thanks,

Krishnan

thanks a lot man... :D

raja_fan
16th August 2006, 12:22 PM
Has the CD reached market ?
I asked music world in Bangalore. The guy had no idea !

nilavupriyan
16th August 2006, 01:58 PM
which guy sang "saara yeh alaam"...

lady voice is okie...but spb should have been used..it needed high pitch!

krish244
16th August 2006, 04:43 PM
RGV video interview on CNN-IBN:

http://www.ibnlive.com/videos/18446/08_2006/being_ramgopal_verma_seg1/being-kingpin-ram-gopal-varma.html

http://www.ibnlive.com/videos/18446/08_2006/being_ramgopal_verma_seg2/being-kingpin-ram-gopal-varma.html

http://www.ibnlive.com/videos/18446/08_2006/being_ramgopal_verma_seg3/being-kingpin-ram-gopal-varma.html

The 3rd part begins with a SHIVA clipping.

thanks,

Krishnan

nilavupriyan
16th August 2006, 06:01 PM
kaise kahe reminds me one song!

not the starting part(sigappu rojakkal)..the total song itself

MADDY
16th August 2006, 06:26 PM
Dheemi Dheemi :notworthy: :clap:

great.....only IR can compose such a song.....RGV olunga publicise pannempa :banghead:

great
16th August 2006, 06:54 PM

Movie is releasing on August 25th guess cd should have hit the store by this time :D

tmrrmt
16th August 2006, 09:50 PM
http://georgethomas.blogspot.com/2006/08/music-of-shiva-2006-after-promising.html

tmrrmt
16th August 2006, 09:55 PM
http://georgethomas.blogspot.com/2006/08/music-of-shiva-2006-after-promising.html

Sanjeevi
16th August 2006, 10:23 PM

Movie is releasing on August 25th guess cd should have hit the store by this time :D

movie release is postponed to Sept 15.

Nakeeran
16th August 2006, 10:34 PM

movie release is postponed to Sept 15.

Sony channelula Shiva padam advertise panraanga . Anaa IR peyare mention panla . No mention about music director :cry: :oops:

krish244
16th August 2006, 10:49 PM
Nakeeran,

Some of the promos features IR's name. Check out the various promos available at www.movietalkies.com.

thanks,

Krishnan

raagadevan
17th August 2006, 02:58 AM
(The Hindu - News Update - August 16, 2006)

Varma set to re-invent action hero with 'Shiva'

Mumbai, Aug 16. (UNI): Bollywood filmmaker Ramgopal Varma says he wants to re-invent the action film genre, which had made the hero a larger than life character.

"Action films are hardly made these days. So it is not correct to say that such films do not work in present times," Mr Varma, whose film "Shiva" is set for an August 25, release told UNI.

My latest film is not a sequel or remake of my debut film 'Shiva' 15 years ago, he said.

"The previous film dealt with campus violence and how one individual takes on all the evil forces. The new film's plot line is the same. But, it is in contemporary times and my hero is a new recruit in the police force. Here lies the fundamental difference," he added.

He said his much publicized remake of 'Sholay' was happening and will go on the floors soon. When asked whether remakes of cult films were required and necessary, he said, "I cannot speak about other remakes, which are being made. But as far as I am concerned, I feel that Sholay can be remade. The entire cast has been finalized except the character of Basanti played by Hema Malini in the original film."

MusicIsLife
17th August 2006, 12:30 PM
saara yeh alaam

I just watched the song on B4U Music, the music sounds fresh and new even after so long (that tune must have come from IR some 10-15 years back for sure). Who the hell are the singers, they are lousy, and who is the lyricists, makes it too difficult for the singers to bring the best out of the composition. But Nisha Kothari (Amoga's) moves make it a interesting combo!!

MusicIsLife
17th August 2006, 11:12 PM
I listened to the songs on MusicIndiaOnline, thanks for the links. Dheemi is my pick, but all the songs have a gr8 flava to it.. vintage IR, but too complex compositions/music flow and combinations. The tempo and rythms flow back and forth, shows the music is not cyclical, a true natural flow, from point to point there is extravagance, detail.. Vow I can keep writing..

The only song I did not like was the Police Police, If I were to use the old songs probably in TFM, it would fit much better with the re-arranged orchestra. Only IR can give the same song so much difference with the same kind of musical arrangements.

Man-o-man I love the songs!!.. IR, you always amaze me. probably it is better to recycle your songs and I can be happy.

irir123
18th August 2006, 02:25 AM
http://www.desiest.com/music/album.jsp?id=5705

itsmuls
18th August 2006, 10:51 AM
When I happend to go through the comments in this topic, I thought why people are not so happy in the music. So didnt have much enthusiasm while listening the music.

But I was wrong to assume like that.

If one goes with the lyrics and the situation for which the old tune is rehashed, I can praise only our Maestro can do such a marvelous job. Every song, may be Police, Police has its own ingredient to make it a extrordinary one.

Original is always fresh, Dheemi Dheemi and Shapath rates the first. I wondered how our Maestro can render his voice for a hindi song, but he had broken it. Though our Maestro's ascent is not a typical hindi slang but the pronouciation is good. He mesmerises with his voice even if it were in hindi.

Josh Mein is a real tough song, on listening to the song and the orchestra, one will forget the original version. Hats Off to Yesudoss.

Saara Yeh Alam, though one cannot compare with the original version with Uma, Shreya too had done a good job. But Roop Kumar's voice does not impress, while the lyrics and the situation is taken into account, may be he would be an apt person. Still after listening twice or thrice, Saara Yeh Alam rings in the heart.

Kaise Kahen, another beautiful song from Sadhana. Only the starting part is a rehash of sigappu rojakkal, dont know thereafter.

sivasub
18th August 2006, 05:36 PM
http://indiafm.com/movies/musicreview/12740/index.html

sivasub
18th August 2006, 05:42 PM
http://indiafm.com/movies/musicreview/12740/index.html

Music4Ever
18th August 2006, 06:50 PM
Dheemi Dheemi is awesome. The violin is beautiful, the song is flowing and the singing superb. On the whole a wonderful number from the Maestro. At some places it reminds some old IR song from a Sridhar movie (The song I think goes like kavidhai paadum kuyilE kuyilE ini vasandhamE.) .

The Hindi version of Ananda Ragam. Need anyone write anything at all? The song is a classic. 'Nuff said.

We need IR in Hindi to increase the competition. Too much Himesh now.

sivasub
18th August 2006, 08:25 PM
[tscii:02a29a11b0]http://www.indiaglitz.com/channels/hindi/musicreview/8738.html

Pasting just the first paragraph:

Ilaya Raja is the pride of India. His sense of melody and orchestration has no parallels. In fact he is the bench mark for music composition in films, not merely in South India, but even in Bollywood. He is back in Hindi Films with Ram Gopal Verma’s ‘Shiva’ after a long gap. It’s good to hear classic singers like Yesudas spreading their magic in Hindi. As an album, ‘Shiva’ is not your run-of-the-mill film music album. Ramu’s films anyways have a limited scope for songs, so, it goes without saying that one expects situational songs like ‘Police Police’ (Average), ‘Josh Mein’ (Fabulous) and ‘Shapath’ (Inspirational). But Ilaiya Raja shows the mastery over his craft with soft romantic numbers like ‘Dheemi Dheemi’ (Brilliant), ‘Kaise Kahen’ (Fantastic) and his Orchestration brilliance in ‘Saara Yeh Alam’ (A Treat). ‘Shiva’ is an album is meant for the connoisseurs of music. It’s for people who understand music, the finer nuances and relish quality fare. So, if you fit the bill, go buy it today.

[/tscii:02a29a11b0]

Sanjeevi
18th August 2006, 11:49 PM
[tscii:73089a243b]Music Review
Shiva - For the Connoisseurs
Faridoon Shahryar, IndiaGlitz [Friday, August 18, 2006]

Ilaya Raja is the pride of India. His sense of melody and orchestration has no parallels. In fact he is the bench mark for music composition in films, not merely in South India, but even in Bollywood. He is back in Hindi Films with Ram Gopal Verma’s ‘Shiva’ after a long gap. It’s good to hear classic singers like Yesudas spreading their magic in Hindi. As an album, ‘Shiva’ is not your run-of-the-mill film music album. Ramu’s films anyways have a limited scope for songs, so, it goes without saying that one expects situational songs like ‘Police Police’ (Average), ‘Josh Mein’ (Fabulous) and ‘Shapath’ (Inspirational). But Ilaiya Raja shows the mastery over his craft with soft romantic numbers like ‘Dheemi Dheemi’ (Brilliant), ‘Kaise Kahen’ (Fantastic) and his Orchestration brilliance in ‘Saara Yeh Alam’ (A Treat). ‘Shiva’ is an album is meant for the connoisseurs of music. It’s for people who understand music, the finer nuances and relish quality fare. So, if you fit the bill, go buy it today.

‘Police Police’ starts off with a situational chorus line, followed by percussion enunciated by mouth (Although it’s done through a rhythm machine in this case). A bit of electric guitar and a conversational chit-chat takes place between singers Shweta Pandit and Ninad Kamat discussing the merits and demerits of police force with the familiar police siren playing in the background. It reminds you of ‘Kallu Mama’ of ‘Satya’ with its sense of repartee and déjà vu. Interesting saxophone fillers and high-on-bass, this song is best left to be judged once you see the movie. But if you want it straight, ‘Police Police’ lacks the gripping prowess of ‘Kallu Mama’.

‘Dheemi Dheemi’ is the best song of the album, especially because of Shreya Ghoshal’s mint-fresh vocals and trademark masterly orchestration of Ilaiya Raja. The Strings fillers shadow the sauntering voice of Ghoshal as she admits the presence of that-someone-special in the life of a nubile nymphet. Acoustic guitar rhythm gingerly pushes the song forward in a subtle-n-simple manner without undue ornamentation. Violin sections are finely done. Over all, the music arrangements are fantastic. A song you will love to hear again and again.

In ‘Kaise Kahen’ one listens to the talented Sadhana Sargam after a long while. And, her charmingly melodious voice is a welcome change from the raunchy singing style of many of the newcomers. Roop Kumar Rathod is an able foil to Sargam. He sings in his honey-tinged voice with a flavour of romance seldom heard. Once again the master in Ilaiya Raja works out a wonderful melody that’s high on subtlety. The Harmonica solo without the backdrop of any rhythm and a finely written Bass line makes for engaging listening. ‘Kaise Kahen’ is a caressing number that you’d love to listen to with slow lights and lots of nostalgia.

‘Josh Mein’ greets you with a waltz beat peppered with marching rhythm. To add to the surprise quotient, Yesudas sings in his delicious voice. Although, the troughs and curves in Yesudas’ voice are brilliant, ‘Josh Mein’ is also a situational number which can best be appreciated with the visuals. The heavy duty rhythm programming can be a bit jarring at times, though the lyrics by Nitin Raikwar invoking the public to wake up against the malfunctioning corrupt system are inspirational. Guitar piece in the middle coupled with the excited strings collaborates with the rhythm transition very well. A song, that will pick up once the movie releases.

‘Saara Yeh Alam’ reveals why Ilaiya Raja is called an unconquerable genius. He capitalizes on his mastery over orchestration in this number from the word go. It starts off with a grand strings opener. Shreya Ghoshal takes over with lots of subtle inflections in her voice. The string razzmatazz keeps the company throughout the song as Roop Kumar Rathod joins the romantic party in style. As the trajectory of the song traverses its various interesting turns, one realizes the importance of Perfection in Song Writing. Each note is dealt with care. One ought to give credit to lyricist Nitin Raikwar for penning heartfelt lines.

Lastly there is ‘Shapath’ where Ilaiya Raja mouths the Pledge while Chorus singers unleash a contrasting tale of how the police force does completely opposite of what is expected of them in a world filled with negative forces. As the tender rhythm progression moves forward, Ilaiya Raja sings a few lines in an emotive voice. The over all texture of the song surprises with its suddenness as keyboard melody line emerges after a lull in rhythm. Rabab fillers also add to the hollowness of life’s meaning in a meaningless world. ‘Shapath’ is the kind of song that you generally hear in a Dramatic Play or theatre played against the backdrop of changing lights. A novel experiment in the idiom of a film.

Shiva: Simply Class Apart

Rating: *** 1/2

-----------------------------------------

:yes: :exactly: :2thumbsup:

I think Shiva is slowly getting attention of Hindiwalas

[/tscii:73089a243b]

MADDY
19th August 2006, 12:12 AM
dont ask me y but i have heard dheemi dheemi song atleast 50 times in 2 days.......great interludes, free flowing charanams, shreya's vocals, and a much clear recording quality......

ppl. around me are asking "rajavukku maaritingala"?? :lol:

but guys, i'm not seeing it anywhere on the tv ads :cry: ......y is rgv so stupid.......u never know, this song mite just click in between all these himesh-mania, the way rishta kya kehna(meenaxi) worked in 2004 amongst all item songs....

sivasub
19th August 2006, 12:40 PM
Ek dum jhakaas

http://www.mtvindia.com/mtv/music/reviews/06/shiva/index.php

rajasaranam
19th August 2006, 02:05 PM
dont ask me y but i have heard dheemi dheemi song atleast 50 times in 2 days.......great interludes, free flowing charanams, shreya's vocals, and a much clear recording quality......

ppl. around me are asking "rajavukku maaritingala"?? :lol:

but guys, i'm not seeing it anywhere on the tv ads :cry: ......y is rgv so stupid.......u never know, this song mite just click in between all these himesh-mania, the way rishta kya kehna(meenaxi) worked in 2004 amongst all item songs....

Yeah Maddy, After Thalapathi I think Iam hearing such crystal clear Recording quality from Raaja. [Leaving apart the albums done at budapest and MX done at Newyork] May be they were done at bombay should be the cause. Every note and instrument sound is heard clearly...Hope Raaja does more recordings in Bombay henceforth. :)

MrJudge
21st August 2006, 03:33 PM
I listened to the album just once. Disappointed, these are no where near the originals. I don't think anybody on this earth can do justice reproducing them. :(

nickraman
22nd August 2006, 08:01 AM
Just got the downloads. One word: Fabulous! Raaja does it again.

After listening to it's originals, one can say that Maestro's done justice to both versions. Besides two of them are remade dubbed songs, one being Geethanjali's tamil dub (Josh mein? I think.) and Shiva 1990 hindi dub (Jagdi Jagdi?)

Best tracks are all of them. This is the next best thing to hear after getting slammed with Himesh - "the recycler."

I'm all up for Yuvan Shankar Raja going up north next, heck I'm praying RGV, Priyadarshan (he got Vidyasagar in "Hulchul"), or any director sign him. For a change, I'd love to see his peppy tracks woo the northies...

Well done Maestro!

vasanth2006
23rd August 2006, 02:45 PM
Kaise kahen's second interlude harmonium bit is marvellous even though it sounds familiar. i liked that bit.

saraa yeh's second saranam starting alabhanai is really good one.
but saranam's rhythm pattern could have better pattern.its not bad. but it could be better.

josh main is not upto the original.i think other remastered songs are sounds fresh and in the same calibre.
josh main's rhythm pattern could be better. even in original's rhythm sounds contemporary. then where is the original's starting violins music guys? that violin bit in the original is amazing.

Dheemi Dheemi's starting is fantastic one. after that i feel the interludes and tune is his recent style ( more southish). IR could give some northies style of BGM for this song.

Totally ALL the songs are in Excellent catagory. still i am unable to pick of the album. but northies will recognize this quality music? that is the BIG Question.

12bums
28th August 2006, 05:39 PM
Reason for Shiva's delay:

http://www.indiaglitz.com/channels/hindi/article/24818.html

realactivex
29th August 2006, 04:09 PM
The real reason obviously is that RGV has had a lot of flops these days. He does not want to risk another flop by releasing it head on to KANK.
Sep 15 should be a good date. But he should stick to it, else the buzz will fade out.
Life is too short on the Matinee screen.

http://lalithamurali.blogspot.com

realactivex
29th August 2006, 04:12 PM
IR should do a movie with SRK. That will do the northies a bunch of good. They will get to relish 'Quality Music' .
It is sometimes sad, but necessary to piggy ride on the popularity of another person to show your own wares.
For that matter, cheeni kum might not be noticed enough.. there are so many bachhan movies out there and cheeni kum is just one of them.

njv
29th August 2006, 08:44 PM
IR should do a movie with SRK. That will do the northies a bunch of good. They will get to relish 'Quality Music' .

I second that.

BTW, I talk to few of my NI friends and they said its too much. They are asking why IR is using all these instruments. they just want some slow melody with out any instrument or fast and peppy songs with the instruments that they can relate to!

One of the NI guy who is a great fan of IR loved the album and he said Saara yeh aalam is amazing and said its not even a movie song. He personally think that IR should just do albums and classicals and symphony and not do any films at all.

Plum
30th August 2006, 09:05 AM
Well, here's a sify review of a Hindi movie.
http://sify.com/movies/bollywood/review.php?id=14274250&ctid=5&cid=2425
Reason I link this here is - one of the lines goes
"...the tune resembles the signature tune for Titan watches..."!

They dont even know that it is a symphony by Mozart! I am taking sify because i think they reflect the below-average and average fan's mentality.
Indha latchanuthula irukkaravanga, IR music-ai purnijippanganu edhir paarkaradhu kasthtam :-)

Shankar
30th August 2006, 11:18 AM
Well, here's a sify review of a Hindi movie.
http://sify.com/movies/bollywood/review.php?id=14274250&ctid=5&cid=2425
Reason I link this here is - one of the lines goes
"...the tune resembles the signature tune for Titan watches..."!

They dont even know that it is a symphony by Mozart! I am taking sify because i think they reflect the below-average and average fan's mentality.
Indha latchanuthula irukkaravanga, IR music-ai purnijippanganu edhir paarkaradhu kasthtam :-)

Those guys don't know that titan ad was done by arr...if they did, they wud've said the tune was copied from ARR's refreshingly original score :-)

SVN
1st September 2006, 08:18 PM
Listened to Shiva soundtrack:

Dheemi Dheemi Si is a very melodious number and Shreya has done well in her rendition. Ilaiyaraaja has come up with a great composition, which has a very contemporary flavour. I guess the raga used is Shuddha Danyasi. The interludes are cool (shows that few can aspire to come close Raaja in this aspect).

Kaise Kahen is probably the most 'northie' sounding number in the album. The song is a new composition. The i-love-u bit at the end however reminds me of the line in the 80's number, "Kaviriye Kavikkuyile Kanmaniye Nee Vaa... Oh my love.. you'r my sweetheart".

Ananda Raagam in its new avatar as "Saara Yeh Aalam" sounds as fresh as ever.. and the orchestration is simply outstanding. The first time Northies are listening to the Simhendra Madhyamam raga I suppose.
Raaja could have selected another singer like Sonu Nigam instead of Rathod. Sonu would have infused a lot of passion into the rendering. Shreya is pretty good though. The lyrics are quite ordinary, have a 'Sameer'ish quality to them and some words just don't flow well with the tune. Especially lines like "Deepak Deepak Aarat Aarat Mandir mein sajne lagee".. But overall a great song, no doubt.

Josh Mein aajao, the Yesudas number, which is the 2006 version of SPB's Jagada Jagada Jagadam (Vidiya Vidiya Nadanam) is quite good. Surprisingly he sounds very energetic and reaches the higher notes effortlessly in this song (he had started sounding old of late). The other two are situational numbers, which are just about OK. Not great.

I am now looking forward to Cheeni Kam.
Here's my wish list for the songs from his repertoire that would be suitable for the movie and would sound as fresh with no change to the orchestration whatsoever:
1. Enna Satham Indha Neram
2. Nalam Vaazha Ennaalum En Vaazhthukkal
3. Raja Raja Chozhan Naan
4. Kanavil Midakkum
5. Uravugal Thodarkathai
6. Engengo Sellum En Ennangal

Any other suggestions?

app_engine
2nd September 2006, 01:49 AM
http://www.andhracafe.com/index.php?m=show&id=9873

Plum
2nd September 2006, 07:53 AM
shankar, is that why ARR is called Madras Mozart? :-)

MADDY
2nd September 2006, 08:01 AM
Those guys don't know that titan ad was done by arr...

is it??? are u sure???

Shankar
2nd September 2006, 11:13 AM
maddy,
Yes. Titan ad was the one which kind of brought out Dilip Shekhar as name in the ad world. Another ad that made people look for the composer was the nondescript Tantex Underwear (!) ad the jathis of which were used by arr in "thee thee thithikkum thee" (thiruda^2), sung by arr in the name of jathi raja.

Plum
2nd September 2006, 11:25 AM
Shankar, the ad of ARR I remember most is the Coffee ad with ArvindSwamy. That was pretty good and apt for the commercial. Must say that ARR was a very effective jingle composer and made several ads memorable purely for his music - Airtel being the crown in glory

MumbaiRamki
12th September 2006, 09:59 AM
RGV says ...

People like me, in the South, have grown up listening to Ilayaraja. He was one of the last composers known for his melody. But when I played Shiva's music, I got extreme reactions from Mumbaiites who haven't heard much of his music. Fardeen Khan thought I was out of my mind to have this kind of music. Abhishek Bachchan fell in love with the tunes and refused to listen to anything else for a while. For Shiva 2006, we've kept the Botany song intact. I also chose some of the old tunes composed by Ilayraja earlier, including those from Mani Ratnam's Gitanjali, and incorporated them.

Any idea where SHIVA is being released in chennai ?

njv
12th September 2006, 08:38 PM
RGV says ...

Fardeen Khan thought I was out of my mind to have this kind of music.

:lol: Thats exactly one of my friend also told me. He wasnt sure if Saara yeh aalam is even a filmi music.

BTW we also watched Pithamagan together (he wanted to watch because he wanted to see why Vikram got the price because we were fighting about saif getting nationa award...) and he was speechless. He said the music, the story and the acting are all something that northies would not even imagine. He said if northies have to make a movie with the same theme, they need atleast 5-6 hours and still he couldnt think of anyone to score music.

buggle
12th September 2006, 11:00 PM
RGV says ...

Fardeen Khan thought I was out of my mind to have this kind of music.

:lol: Thats exactly one of my friend also told me. He wasnt sure if Saara yeh aalam is even a filmi music.

BTW we also watched Pithamagan together (he wanted to watch because he wanted to see why Vikram got the price because we were fighting about saif getting nationa award...) and he was speechless. He said the music, the story and the acting are all something that northies would not even imagine. He said if northies have to make a movie with the same theme, they need atleast 5-6 hours and still he couldnt think of anyone to score music.

njv,
Not sure what u mean by 5-6 hours, do u mean 5-6 years?
Also with respect to Saara yeh aalam, undoubtly this is the winner..

njv
13th September 2006, 11:46 AM
njv,
Not sure what u mean by 5-6 hours, do u mean 5-6 years?
Also with respect to Saara yeh aalam, undoubtly this is the winner..

:lol: Its 5-6 hours to show in a screen. Probably 5-6 years to make one as well!

teja
14th September 2006, 11:21 AM
Siva 2006 - video songs
http://www.cinegoer.com/videosongs/s.htm
(scroll down a bit)

realactivex
14th September 2006, 05:07 PM
Siva is to be released today.
I searched the net. There are no reviews of the movie as such.. Has the move been released as planned?

teja
14th September 2006, 08:18 PM
[tscii:7de402242a]Siva 2006 review.
http://www.telugucinema.com/tc/shiva2006_moviereview.php

What’s hot!

Maestro Ilayaraja’s music and cinematography (Amal Neerad) stand out in the film[/tscii:7de402242a]

teja
14th September 2006, 08:59 PM
Another good review
http://www.indiaglitz.com/channels/telugu/review/8710.html

irnet
14th September 2006, 09:51 PM
Another review
http://www.totaltollywood.com/reviews/siva2006.html

Ilayaraja with music gave the best and Ramgopal Varma used them nicely to effectively picture the songs. With Amal's camera work and choice of locations, the makers prove that songs doesnt have to be pictured abroad for good locations.

........perfect and scintilating score by Ilayaraja

The bottom line is the songs are picturised nicely.. 8-) Happy to know that. My friend , who watched this film yesterday, says, BG score is exceptional and in few places, just music does the actual action..
very eager to watch this movie for raja's score and RGV's taking!!

krish244
15th September 2006, 06:27 PM
[tscii:da95e04f4d]Shiva (Hindi) review on IndiaGlitz. Gives a thumbs down.

http://www.indiaglitz.com/channels/hindi/review/8738.html

comment on music:

"Music by Illaiyaraja is good, especially for its fabulous orchestration. But the problem is that except for ‘Police Police’ none of the other songs are really needed. They only slacken the pace of the film."

No mention about BGM

thanks,

Krishnan[/tscii:da95e04f4d]

tmrrmt
17th September 2006, 12:01 AM
watched SHIVA 2006 (Hindi) yesterday -

even though the movie does have its fleeting moments of interest, it is overall a dud - nowhere near the original and RGV is not at the peak of whatever elements he possesses - the only reason I think IR accepted to score for the movie, is perhaps coz of RGV pleading with him/praising him skyhigh - otherwise I just couldnt see anything remarkable about the script to have excited IR!

there are some very charming stamps in the BGM, especially the romantic exchange between the Mohit and Nisha, but IMHO, the songs picturisation ('Sarah yeh aalam') was insipid - I doubt RGV has the right balance of visual aesthetics and musical sense!

vem
18th September 2006, 07:59 PM
RGV interview
http://www.musicindiaonline.com/ar/i/movie_name/8571/3/director/1381/

The funny part is this:

To a question is he has tried to convey a message thru Shiva, RGV cuts to the chase pointing out that he would rather SMS somebody when he wanted to convey a message :)

teja
19th September 2006, 09:30 AM
[tscii:0ff5a966e1]

New song to be added to Shiva 2006

Openings for Ram Gopal Varma’s Shiva 2006 are fantastic thanks to media hype and publicity. After a long time, a RGV factory film has started on flying note. It remains to be seen whether this would continue like this. It is a unanimous verdict that songs and Nisha’s glamour is attracting more crowds. Now, another song is to be added to this film from next week.

“We dropped off the ‘I Love You’ song in the film as we felt it would slow down the pace of the narration but everyone is asking us to add that song which was a big hit through the audio albums. So we are going to include in a few days,” writer and RGV Factory’s creative head Kona Venkat informs Telugucinema.com.

http://www.telugucinema.com/tc/news/shiva2006_sep1806.php[/tscii:0ff5a966e1]

krish244
19th September 2006, 10:42 AM
Strange that the movie (telugu) is getting decent reviews in Andhra whereas the hindi version is being trashed! Surprising is that an RGV directed movie has not got reviewed in Rediff yet. Probably not many know that the movie has got released? :)

BTW, is "Dheemi Dheemi" picturised? I have not seen any promo of this song on the TV channels so far.

thanks,

Krishnan

teja
19th September 2006, 11:24 AM
BTW, is "Dheemi Dheemi" picturised? I have not seen any promo of this song on the TV channels so far.

thanks,

Krishnan

yes, it has been shot... it's fairly esthetic compared to other songs in the film.
http://www.cinegoer.com/videosongs/shiva2006/shiva200605.htm

Looks like IR's music has turned this otherwise flop movie into a success, like many films in 80s and 90s.

krish244
19th September 2006, 12:23 PM
Thanks Teja! Song picturisation is ok, but the actress (Nisha) shows no real expressions.

thanks,

Krishnan

krish244
19th September 2006, 12:25 PM
forgot to post the link. This guy (Shyam Raaj) played saxaphone for IR for both the old & the new Shiva.

http://www.hindu.com/fr/2006/09/08/stories/2006090802430100.htm

thanks,

Krishnan

krish244
19th September 2006, 07:27 PM
Okay, here comes the Rediff review. As expected they have glorified ( :wink: ) Shiva:

http://in.rediff.com/movies/2006/sep/19shiva.htm

The reviewer failed to notice that IR was also the common factor in the old and the new Shiva. I think the music (& BGM) did not irritate them (like the movie did :D ) as they have not mentioned about it :)

thanks,

Krishnan

tmrrmt
19th September 2006, 09:13 PM
Rediff reviews pander to the moronic generation of movie-watchers! and they have consistently AVOIDED giving any coverage to IR in any form since the beginning!

that is Rediff's 'karma vinayam' and not IR's fault!

app_engine
19th September 2006, 09:59 PM
[tscii:19a8baa0db]"The film’s music by Ilayaraja provides no relief either. The romantic tracks look forced into the narrative and the background score (the oath track) is overdone."

writes one website...another says the BGM is all wails and owls...

Raja ungaLukku idhu thEvaiyA? After doing a lovely album and probably BGM that suits the movie, ippadi oru vimarsanam vENumA? Please stick to TFM (& may be some non-filmi albums)...uNNeer uNNeer endRE oottAdhAr thammaNaiyil uNNAmai kOdi perum...
[/tscii:19a8baa0db]

rajasaranam
20th September 2006, 02:39 PM
http://in.rediff.com/movies/2006/sep/19shiva.htm

What is common between the Reviewer and The Director of the movie ?
Except the name ending VERMA :)
time and again Ramu has said in many of the interviews before the release of Shiva That Yes he is remaking the old shiva and he wants That Hero of the Eighties to be recreated in silverscreen. And any layman should understand this before entering the moviehall. To expect something miraculous to happen in the movie hall is the mistake of the viewer not the maker of the movie.

krish244
21st September 2006, 11:08 AM
Rajasaranam, the viewer(s) will obviously have expectations because the movie is "directed" by RGV, be it a new theme or a rehashed one. It is inevitable.

thanks,

Krishnan

MumbaiRamki
22nd September 2006, 10:17 AM
Of late ,i find vermas movies lacking the emotional touch..It is as though he is putting teh whole trust on the sleekish side and the emotional aspect of the plot is totally missing ....

itsmuls
14th October 2006, 05:01 PM
Shiva (Hindi) music has been released in Tamil as Udhyam 2006. Quite interesting....

can hear at http://www.musicindiaonline.com/music/tamil/s/movie_name.8665/

app_engine
14th October 2006, 08:29 PM
idhu konjam nerudal dhAn...`Anandha rAgham kEtkum kAlam' is such an immortal classic...It's quite something exposing the beauty to a different audience, but another version in Thamizh...mmm...

OK,OK...don't we hear the same tune in two different songs in the same film...this is just a little different...

I must agree that the lyrics are not very irritating. Decent job, though I'm not very impressed with the creativity in the poem...at least not too irritating...`en nenjim rAgham engE, engE'...vAzhga!

krish244
15th October 2006, 11:44 PM
Could not hear the songs (need to correct the realplayer plug-in problem). Looks like "Dheemi Dheemi" ("Oru naal maalaiyil") song in tamil is a duet? Am I right?

thanks,

Krishnan

netfriend4u2005
19th October 2006, 12:09 AM
Oru Naal Maalaiyil - Udhyam 2006 , Tamil is dubbed neatly and its well written

VillageGimp
20th October 2006, 10:35 PM
Of late ,i find vermas movies lacking the emotional touch..It is as though he is putting teh whole trust on the sleekish side and the emotional aspect of the plot is totally missing ....

Shiva has nothing to do with the Nagarjuna movie except for the director and the title.

Its a remake of Amitabh starrer ....Zanjeer.

Hindi directors have run out of ideas these days and are of stirring some old shite.