PDA

View Full Version : Tamil media - do they spread good values and culture

manuel
28th March 2006, 12:07 AM
There are some Tamil Satelite channels but why does all the tamil channel Air only Movies and songs all the time and when given some spare time, they manage to telecast some serials which has no links to current scenarios ....

Why cant Tamil channels move a ahead and produce some documentaries and serials which can teach and inculcate some civilised values in our childrens and be concious about whats happenning arround the world than just hearing from Amma and Anna and then about some movie stars who are not even Tamil.

The Question here is do our Tamil media doing enough to inculcate the values and heritage of Tamil and also are they preparing the young tamils to be confident in facing the ever changing and fiercely competetive international environment..

Remember our competetion is not with rest of india but the rest of the world ..(Amritaraj, ramesh krishnan, Narain Karthikeyan, V.Anand, abdul kalam, R.chidambaram.... the list shoud grow.. isnt it?)

devapriya
8th April 2006, 03:29 PM
Friends,

Certainly Sun and other Networks are spreaing Superstitions, such as Billi Suniyam.

They also spoil Tamil by Pronunciations and Thinglish.

Devapriya

atomhouse
3rd July 2006, 09:02 AM
The fundamental problem with tamils now is that they are not proud of themselves.And the tamil media is doing absolutely nothing to revive our pride.The recent controversy about 'karpu' following Kushbu's statement was so cheaply exploited by our media.
This makes us even more embarrassed about our Identity.
Vijay TV's 'sigaram thotta thamizhargal' was consoling though I'm very dissapointed with its anchor.
And all the presently running so-called comedy shows are very demeaning & cheap. Has our sense of humor vanished?

pavalamani pragasam
3rd July 2006, 09:32 AM
A much-needed topic of the hour! Hope we can create first an awareness about how low our tastes, concepts, manners, lifestyles, mindsets and recreation have become! ALL because of the 2 important wings of the powerful MEDIA, the SMALL SCREEN & the SILVER SCREEN! How do we project ourselves? Unashamed, insensitive, crass, unnatural & brainless!

pavalamani pragasam
3rd July 2006, 11:22 AM
More feedback from our intelligent, discerning hubbers welcome on this topic!

manuel
8th July 2006, 12:36 AM
Agree with you pavalamani .... I beleive people who think alike should get together and use the same media as a platform to highlight these things. May be we can start raising this as a debate issue in various opportunities that we get, sensible people who are already in print media should atleast write an article or we as people should send feed back emails to topics that arise every quite often ...
A good idea might be guys who are in sociology and reasearch can take this, not only as a research topic but also as responsibility towrads society.

Some may argue that these are individual interest and leave it up to individuals to choose what is good and bad for them .. but what they fail to "forsee" is - the implication of this will not be felt by just individuals but few years from now it would define the general society (a community as whole) and no individual will be able to escape form it - good, bad, intelligent & duffer -ALL will have to be a part of it.

pavalamani pragasam
10th July 2006, 04:31 PM
In this week's issue of Tamil weekly, Ananda Vikadan, Thangar Pachan in his interview about Eezam refugees & their problems very frankly describes the present scenario in Tamil Nadu, the people's level of awareness, sensitivity & the role of the MEDIA. I have quoted it another thread:

http://forumhub.mayyam.com/hub/viewtopic.php?t=6965&start=15

crazy
11th July 2006, 07:23 PM
Friends,

Certainly Sun and other Networks are spreaing Superstitions, such as Billi Suniyam.

They also spoil Tamil by Pronunciations and Thinglish.

Devapriya

:exactly: some yrs ago they used to telecast some seriels about Hindu Gods and Goddess.............my grandma used to watch them............i was totally against such seriel and asked my grandma to stop watching such craps where they misuse and come up with new ideas of ur culture and religion........................i never used to watch those craps............i boycotted :roll: them.

i know that only b'coz iam not watching such craps it doesnt gonna make any difference....................but i cant tolerate such seriels...............I HATE THEM............

crazy
11th July 2006, 07:34 PM
Dear PP amma (sorry i dont like calling maam),
i couldnt read ur post in tamil..............is there anyway u can send me another link or sth. i really want to know, what he said :)

crazy.

malsi
11th July 2006, 10:31 PM
very good topic..

pavalamani pragasam
11th July 2006, 10:43 PM
Crazy makale, it is tedious to translate the long quote. He echoes the concern expressed in this threa describing in detail the reckless,insensitive life the people are encouraged to lead by the MEDIA.

podalangai
12th July 2006, 12:03 AM
[tscii:78750f37cb]
i couldnt read ur post in tamil..............is there anyway u can send me another link or sth. i really want to know, what he said :)

Thangachchi,

I am posting it in Tamil Unicode which I think you can read:

"...இங்கே தமிழ்நாட்ல எல்லாம் இருக்கு. மாத்தி மாத்தி மண்டையைக் குழப்ப, ஆளாளுக்கு ஒரு சேனல் வெச்சிருக்கான். நாலு ஷோ சினிமா ஓடுது. கோயில் திறக்கிறதுக்கு முன்னாடி சாராயக்கடை திறந்துடுறான். எப்பவுமே செல்போன்லயே அநாவசியமா பேசிட்டு அலையுறான். அப்புறம் எப்படி நல்ல விஷயத்தைச் சிந்திப்பான்? சூடு சொரணை இல்லாத ஒரு தமிழ்ச் சமுதாயத்தை உருவாக்கிட்டு இருக்கோம்...படகு கவிழ்ந்து 60 ஈழத் தமிழர்கள் இறந்தார்கள்ங்கிறது இங்கே ஒரு சின்ன செய்தி, அவ்வளவுதான்! யாரு பொண்டாட்டியை யாரு வெச்சிருக்கான், இன்னிக்கு என்ன கள்ளக் காதல் கொலை, கஞ்சா கேஸ் என்னாச்சு, எந்தக் கோயிலுக்குள்ளே யார் போனாங்கன்னு வேறு எதைப் பத்தியும் சிந்திக்கவிடாம, மக்களைத் தவறான முறையில் ஊடகங்கள் வழிநடத்துது. ஈழத்தில் இவ்வளவு பிரச்னை நடக்குதே- எந்த ஒரு தொலைக்காட்சியாவது ஈழத்தமிழர் பிரச்னை பற்றி அரை மணி நேரமாவது காட்டறாங்களா? ஒரு சமூகத்தின் மிகப் பெரிய பிரச்¨னாயிப் பேசாத ஊடகங்கள் அந்த சமூகத்துக்கே துரோகம் செய்கிறதுன்னுதானே அர்த்தம்? எப்போ பார்த்தாலும் ஏதாவது நடிகர், நடிகைகிட்டே போய், 'யாரைக் காதலிக்கிறீங்க, எப்போ கல்யாணம்?'னு இதே கேள்விகள்தான்....அப்புறம் நம்ம நடிகர்கள் பெரிய ரசிகர்கள் கூட்டத்தை வெச்சிருக்கிற நடிகர்கள். இதுவரைக்கும் இந்தப் பிரச்னையில் என்ன பண்ணி இருக்காங்க? இந்த மாதிரி எரிகிற பிரச்னையில் உங்க அணுகுமுறை என்ன?....ஒரு படம் முடிச்சுட்டு, துட்டை அள்ளிட்டு, ஆயில் மசாஜ் எடுக்கவும், இமயமலைக்கும், ஓய்வெடுக்க வெளிநாட்டுக்கும் போனா நாங்க எங்கே போரது? மனச்சாட்சி வேண்டாமா? நம்ம மக்களுக்கு ஒரு துன்பம் வரும்போது அதுக்கான பொறுப்பு வேண்டாமா? இந்தப் பிரச்னையை கண்டுக்காம இருக்கோமேன்னு ஒரு குற்ற உணர்ச்சி வேண்டாமா?...எல்லோரும் ஒண்ணு சேர வேண்டாமா? அரசியல் பகைமை, கோபங்களையெல்லாம் ஒரு பக்கம் இருக்கட்டும். இப்படி ஒரு நெருக்கடியான சூழலில் ஒரே குரலில் பேசலைன்னா, அப்புறம் எதுக்குப் பொதுவாழ்க்கை?
இதோ, வர்ற 8ம் தேதி சென்னை மயிலை மாங்கொல்லையில் தோழர் திருமா அனைத்துக் கட்சிக் கூட்டம் போட்டிருக்கார். இதை திருமா நடத்தினா என்ன.. விஜயகாந்தே நடத்தினால்தான் என்ன? அங்கே எல்லோரும் வாங்க. மத்திய அரசுக்கு இந்தப் ப்ரச்னையின் வீரியத்தை புரியவைப்போம்...(நடிகர்கள்) எல்லோரும் வாங்க. உங்க ரசிகர்களையும் வரச் சொல்லுங்க. சினிமா, அரசியல் கூட்டம்னா அடிச்சுப் பிடிச்சுக் கூடுறோமே..இங்கே எல்லோரும் வாங்க. ரஷ்யாவின் செயிண்ட் பீட்டர்ஸ், சீனாவின் தியான்மென் சதுக்கங்களில் போராட்டக் காலங்களில் கூடிய கூட்டம் மாதிரி லட்சக்கணக்கான பேர் திரண்டு, தமிழ் இனத்தின் ஒற்றுமையைச் சொல்வோம்.
முப்பதாண்டு காலமா அனைத்தையும் இழந்து அடக்குமுறையில் சிக்கி, அநாதைகளாக, அகதிகளாக அலைந்து திரியும் நம் சகோதரர்களின் கண்ணீரை, மத்திய அரசுக்கும் உலகுக்கும் புரியும்படி எடுத்துப் போவோம். கூட்டத்துக்கு வரமுடியாதவங்க, குறைந்தபட்சம் பிரதமருக்கு ஒரு தந்தியாவது அனுப்பலாம். இந்த நேரத்திலும் இதைச் செய்யலைன்னா அது தமிழ் இனத்துக்கு நாம செய்கிற துரோகம்!..இதை விடுதலைப் புலிகளுக்கும் அரசுக்குமான சண்டையா பார்க்காம, ஒரு இனம் அடக்கப்பட்டு, ஒடுக்கப்பட்டு, இருக்க இடமின்றி அலைகிறதேங்கிற மனிதாபிமானத்தோட எல்லோரும் பாருங்க. அகதிகளா இல்லை, நம்ம சகோதரர்களா அவங்க வாழ்க்கையை மீட்டெடுத்துத் தர வாங்க. இல்லைன்னா, வருங்காலம் நம்மை மன்னிக்காது!

[/tscii:78750f37cb]

Sanguine Sridhar
12th July 2006, 12:29 AM
Tamil Media was good and consistent before the introduction of all private channels.When this 'Cable Puratchi' came everything changed vice-versa.People are addicted!! Even a lip-to-lip kiss was considered very vulgar(When i was kid) is now available in your drawing room.

Serials are one of the most irritating thing in this tamil media! When people are protesting Kushboo/Tamil Cinema they can see couple of episodes of this tamil serials!! A person with two wifes..second wife has an affair with another guy..their daughter and son are in love.. Villis plans to kill their husbands ..Rape,Murder,Ghost.. blah blah what not? Why there is no censor for serials?

Next one is Tamil Music Channels..You play the song requested by the viewers alright!! But have you ever listened to the meaningless crap conversation between the Vj's and so called viewers?!! Jobless idiots!

Vijay TV is better in my opinion! Atleast they show some variety!

pavalamani pragasam
12th July 2006, 09:45 AM
Mention must be made about the dress code of the VJ's trying to ape MTV! An eyesore: the idiotic girls! More idiotic their giggles & grins! And the crap exchanged! A shame! Cine artistes hailed as trend setters on global standards! Very deplorable indeed! :argh: :angry2:

crazy
12th July 2006, 01:51 PM
[tscii:08acc67c0b]

Thangachchi,

"...இங்கே தமிழ்நாட்ல எல்லாம் இருக்கு. மாத்தி மாத்தி மண்டையைக் குழப்ப, ஆளாளுக்கு ஒரு சேனல் வெச்சிருக்கான். நாலு ஷோ சினிமா ஓடுது. கோயில் திறக்கிறதுக்கு முன்னாடி சாராயக்கடை திறந்துடுறான். எப்பவுமே செல்போன்லயே அநாவசியமா பேசிட்டு அலையுறான். அப்புறம் எப்படி நல்ல விஷயத்தைச் சிந்திப்பான்? சூடு சொரணை இல்லாத ஒரு தமிழ்ச் சமுதாயத்தை உருவாக்கிட்டு இருக்கோம்...படகு கவிழ்ந்து 60 ஈழத் தமிழர்கள் இறந்தார்கள்ங்கிறது இங்கே ஒரு சின்ன செய்தி, அவ்வளவுதான்! யாரு பொண்டாட்டியை யாரு வெச்சிருக்கான், இன்னிக்கு என்ன கள்ளக் காதல் கொலை, கஞ்சா கேஸ் என்னாச்சு, எந்தக் கோயிலுக்குள்ளே யார் போனாங்கன்னு வேறு எதைப் பத்தியும் சிந்திக்கவிடாம, மக்களைத் தவறான முறையில் ஊடகங்கள் வழிநடத்துது. ஈழத்தில் இவ்வளவு பிரச்னை நடக்குதே- எந்த ஒரு தொலைக்காட்சியாவது ஈழத்தமிழர் பிரச்னை பற்றி அரை மணி நேரமாவது காட்டறாங்களா? ஒரு சமூகத்தின் மிகப் பெரிய பிரச்¨னாயிப் பேசாத ஊடகங்கள் அந்த சமூகத்துக்கே துரோகம் செய்கிறதுன்னுதானே அர்த்தம்? எப்போ பார்த்தாலும் ஏதாவது நடிகர், நடிகைகிட்டே போய், 'யாரைக் காதலிக்கிறீங்க, எப்போ கல்யாணம்?'னு இதே கேள்விகள்தான்....அப்புறம் நம்ம நடிகர்கள் பெரிய ரசிகர்கள் கூட்டத்தை வெச்சிருக்கிற நடிகர்கள். இதுவரைக்கும் இந்தப் பிரச்னையில் என்ன பண்ணி இருக்காங்க? இந்த மாதிரி எரிகிற பிரச்னையில் உங்க அணுகுமுறை என்ன?....ஒரு படம் முடிச்சுட்டு, துட்டை அள்ளிட்டு, ஆயில் மசாஜ் எடுக்கவும், இமயமலைக்கும், ஓய்வெடுக்க வெளிநாட்டுக்கும் போனா நாங்க எங்கே போரது? மனச்சாட்சி வேண்டாமா? நம்ம மக்களுக்கு ஒரு துன்பம் வரும்போது அதுக்கான பொறுப்பு வேண்டாமா? இந்தப் பிரச்னையை கண்டுக்காம இருக்கோமேன்னு ஒரு குற்ற உணர்ச்சி வேண்டாமா?...எல்லோரும் ஒண்ணு சேர வேண்டாமா? அரசியல் பகைமை, கோபங்களையெல்லாம் ஒரு பக்கம் இருக்கட்டும். இப்படி ஒரு நெருக்கடியான சூழலில் ஒரே குரலில் பேசலைன்னா, அப்புறம் எதுக்குப் பொதுவாழ்க்கை?
இதோ, வர்ற 8ம் தேதி சென்னை மயிலை மாங்கொல்லையில் தோழர் திருமா அனைத்துக் கட்சிக் கூட்டம் போட்டிருக்கார். இதை திருமா நடத்தினா என்ன.. விஜயகாந்தே நடத்தினால்தான் என்ன? அங்கே எல்லோரும் வாங்க. மத்திய அரசுக்கு இந்தப் ப்ரச்னையின் வீரியத்தை புரியவைப்போம்...(நடிகர்கள்) எல்லோரும் வாங்க. உங்க ரசிகர்களையும் வரச் சொல்லுங்க. சினிமா, அரசியல் கூட்டம்னா அடிச்சுப் பிடிச்சுக் கூடுறோமே..இங்கே எல்லோரும் வாங்க. ரஷ்யாவின் செயிண்ட் பீட்டர்ஸ், சீனாவின் தியான்மென் சதுக்கங்களில் போராட்டக் காலங்களில் கூடிய கூட்டம் மாதிரி லட்சக்கணக்கான பேர் திரண்டு, தமிழ் இனத்தின் ஒற்றுமையைச் சொல்வோம்.
முப்பதாண்டு காலமா அனைத்தையும் இழந்து அடக்குமுறையில் சிக்கி, அநாதைகளாக, அகதிகளாக அலைந்து திரியும் நம் சகோதரர்களின் கண்ணீரை, மத்திய அரசுக்கும் உலகுக்கும் புரியும்படி எடுத்துப் போவோம். கூட்டத்துக்கு வரமுடியாதவங்க, குறைந்தபட்சம் பிரதமருக்கு ஒரு தந்தியாவது அனுப்பலாம். இந்த நேரத்திலும் இதைச் செய்யலைன்னா அது தமிழ் இனத்துக்கு நாம செய்கிற துரோகம்!..இதை விடுதலைப் புலிகளுக்கும் அரசுக்குமான சண்டையா பார்க்காம, ஒரு இனம் அடக்கப்பட்டு, ஒடுக்கப்பட்டு, இருக்க இடமின்றி அலைகிறதேங்கிற மனிதாபிமானத்தோட எல்லோரும் பாருங்க. அகதிகளா இல்லை, நம்ம சகோதரர்களா அவங்க வாழ்க்கையை மீட்டெடுத்துத் தர வாங்க. இல்லைன்னா, வருங்காலம் நம்மை மன்னிக்காது!

[/tscii:08acc67c0b]

God .............i promised myself to never open my mouth to speak of and for tamil eelam.................let me be so neutral as possible.

FIRST OF ALL WHAT HE SAID IS WHAT I FELT FOR YRS AGO, i dont feel that way no longer................iam totally ambivalence ..............i feel like there is nothing we can expect from indians or indian govt.

I remember once a girl in my class in 10th grade asked me...............WHAT LANGUAGE DO U SPEAK IN EELAM?! :roll: :x :shock: i couldnt speak a word................i thought Good Lord why r doing this to me and us(eelam tamils)........................what am i supposed to answer.................how am i supposed to explain whats going on that accursed island of eelam?

when i was india i totally boycotted all these crap shows and interviews with kollywood actor and actress.................i was never intrested in watching films and reading gossips about kollywood.........................i hated them! I HATE THEM
i hate these kids who decorate their rooms with tamil actor actress.....................i feel sorry for them................they dont understand how much we r neglected..................by those ppl! (iam not speaking of indian kids here)...................
when i was in india i had only 3 pic...........bhagavat geetha, indian map and gandhiji's pic, thats it!
i dont know what harm we did do indians ...................ofcourse i know that SPECIFIC incident...............NO COMMENTS!

but...............isnt...........God why........i dont want to balme anybody, neither indians nor indian govt, nor tamil cinema, nor acter or actress, not indian and tamil MEDIA...........................I BLAME myself, tamil eelam, my poor eelam tamils......................and God.............i cant even blame him...............

whatever nowadays as i said above..................iam ambivalence....................we r not recognised in india...........not even among my tamil bros and sis.......we r ceylonese, we speak a "STRANGE" language...................hm, r we tamils or r we aliens?????????????????!!!!!!!!!!!

THERE IS TIME FOR ALL AND EVERYTHING....................WHEN THE TIME COMES FOR US(EELAM TAMILS)................I MAY SPEAK ...........................WHAT THATS IN MY HEART...........TO MY FELLOW TAMIL BROS AND SIS(INDIANS)

Thangar Pachan maadhiri engalukkaaha kural kodukkira ............or iru jeevangalukku enn vanakkangal..................NANDRI :notworthy: :notworthy:

indha sethiya sonna PP ammakkum, Podalai annakkum NANDRI.

I APOLOGIZE TO EACH AND EVERYBODY.................FOR SHOWING MY FEELINGS HERE .......IN THIS TREAD..........WHICH IS VERY UNNECESSARY

EXTREMELY SORRY FOR BRINGING THIS DAMN TOPIC HERE, I APOLOGIZE. FORGIVE ME!

VASI.

i cant explain how wet my eyes r....

Lambretta
12th July 2006, 01:58 PM
Mention must be made about the dress code of the VJ's trying to ape MTV! An eyesore: the idiotic girls! More idiotic their giggles & grins! And the crap exchanged! A shame! Cine artistes hailed as trend setters on global standards! Very deplorable indeed! :argh: :angry2:
Never mind the MTV girls & their pseudo yank accents, even if the big screen artists of regional movies r clad in Sarees (& now even Salwars!), they can & will make it look "sexy" nowadays!
So the qsn. is.....wat cud be called as decency in attire today?? :huh: :roll: :(

dsath
12th July 2006, 02:48 PM
[tscii:bbfa653edb]I still remember my school days, the days when the cable TV started. Only some households had cable TV and we had to wait for Oliyum Oliyum to catch a glimpse of the latest songs. And guess what DD used to censor songs such as ‘Pani Vilum Iravu’ while airing Mouna Ragam. Those days our media both print and tele was relatively closed and censored. Even mildly provocative songs and sequences were taboo.
Now things have changed.
The last time when I went to India the local cable operator in Madurai advertised for ladies undergarment, with a picture of a woman wearing just that as strip at the bottom of the TV. It was disgusting, but the strange thing was no one seems to mind it.
When I was at school (Catholic Christian) we used to wear collared shirt and half skirts, but now the uniform has been changed to salwar-kameez.
The irony is that as the media becomes more open, we close ourselves (a complete shut down in some cases).
I simply can’t understand the fact that while skirts were good enough for us, no one raised any objections then (I had many Muslim friends in my class who wore the same uniform and read bible during Moral Science classes), why has it suddenly become a no-no now? I think it’s the media portrayal of our culture and women which makes it harder for all of us.[/tscii:bbfa653edb]

rocketboy
12th July 2006, 02:49 PM
[tscii:5c382907d8]

Thangachchi,

[/tscii:5c382907d8]

God .............i promised myself to never open my mouth to speak of and for tamil eelam.................let me be so neutral as possible.

FIRST OF ALL WHAT HE SAID IS WHAT I FELT FOR YRS AGO, i dont feel that way no longer................iam totally ambivalence ..............i feel like there is nothing we can expect from indians or indian govt.

I remember once a girl in my class in 10th grade asked me...............WHAT LANGUAGE DO U SPEAK IN EELAM?! :roll: :x :shock: i couldnt speak a word................i thought Good Lord why r doing this to me and us(eelam tamils)........................what am i supposed to answer.................how am i supposed to explain whats going on that accursed island of eelam?

when i was india i totally boycotted all these crap shows and interviews with kollywood actor and actress.................i was never intrested in watching films and reading gossips about kollywood.........................i hated them! I HATE THEM
i hate these kids who decorate their rooms with tamil actor actress.....................i feel sorry for them................they dont understand how much we r neglected..................by those ppl! (iam not speaking of indian kids here)...................
when i was in india i had only 3 pic...........bhagavat geetha, indian map and gandhiji's pic, thats it!
i dont know what harm we did do indians ...................ofcourse i know that SPECIFIC incident...............NO COMMENTS!

but...............isnt...........God why........i dont want to balme anybody, neither indians nor indian govt, nor tamil cinema, nor acter or actress, not indian and tamil MEDIA...........................I BLAME myself, tamil eelam, my poor eelam tamils......................and God.............i cant even blame him...............

whatever nowadays as i said above..................iam ambivalence....................we r not recognised in india...........not even among my tamil bros and sis.......we r ceylonese, we speak a "STRANGE" language...................hm, r we tamils or r we aliens?????????????????!!!!!!!!!!!

THERE IS TIME FOR ALL AND EVERYTHING....................WHEN THE TIME COMES FOR US(EELAM TAMILS)................I MAY SPEAK ...........................WHAT THATS IN MY HEART...........TO MY FELLOW TAMIL BROS AND SIS(INDIANS)

Thangar Pachan maadhiri engalukkaaha kural kodukkira ............or iru jeevangalukku enn vanakkangal..................NANDRI :notworthy: :notworthy:

indha sethiya sonna PP ammakkum, Podalai annakkum NANDRI.

I APOLOGIZE TO EACH AND EVERYBODY.................FOR SHOWING MY FEELINGS HERE .......IN THIS TREAD..........WHICH IS VERY UNNECESSARY

EXTREMELY SORRY FOR BRINGING THIS DAMN TOPIC HERE, I APOLOGIZE. FORGIVE ME!

VASI.

i cant explain how wet my eyes r....

crazy understand a few things before you lament. India is not a country of tamils alone. Its just one of the so many states that make my country. We have just about 40 seats representation( which I think is a fairly reasonable one ) in a parliament of more than 500 members. So even if the entire state rallies behind the Srilankan Tamils cause there won't be any fruitful result. Besides awareness in our state is very less. Many people don't even have an idea of whats happening over there. Once I was talking with my friends about this and I was shocked to learn that most of them couldn't even make head or tail about the subject of discussion. All they knew was Rajiv Gandhi was assassinated by a human bomb. True men from IPKF committed a lot of atrocities and they deserved to be punished. But what do you have to say to the families of those killed and injured along with Rajiv. Things are not going to be the same crazy . If LTTE hadn't done that I think India would have atleast taken a step to resolve the crisis. I am definitely no supporter of the LTTE. But my sympathies lie with the Srilankan Tamils. I feel for them and thier sufferings is like the sufferings of my own people. There's more to it crazy. Supporting the Tamils cause means supporting the two nation theory. What are the Kashmiri militants or the north east insurgents fighting for? Sorry I am not drawing any parallel but you should understand. How can India support the Tamils on one hand and fight against the militants at the same time? Moreover India fears it may cause the secessionist attitude to become more rampant among the Indian Tamils , which is only compounded by the likes of some stupid liberation forces which are operating undercover. These two I think are the main deterrents.

But IMHO i think India should step in before its too late. If its not for the Srilankan Tamils' cause atleast for the welfare of its own people. Last heard reports suggest that Srilankans have approached Pakistan and China for ammunition. This is not a good sign.

And don't keep blaming India for everything .India has done everything it can do in providing shelter to the refugees . Some stay here . Some use it as a transit point for crossover . True,the refugee camps reek of negligence .True other countries like England,Canada and some Scandinavian countries play host too . No denying that . But we are not as rich as the other countries.

crazy
12th July 2006, 03:00 PM
crazy understand a few things before you lament. India is not a country of tamils alone. Its just one of the so many states that make my country.
Things are not going to be the same crazy . If LTTE hadn't done that I think India would have atleast taken a step to resolve the crisis.
There's more to it crazy.
But IMHO i think India should step in before its too late. If its not for the Srilankan Tamils' cause atleast for the welfare of its own people. Last heard reports suggest that Srilankans have approached Pakistan and China for ammunition. This is not a good sign.

And don't keep blaming India for everything .India has done everything it can do in providing shelter to the refugees . Some stay here . Some use it as a transit point for crossover . True,the refugee camps reek of negligence .True other countries like England,Canada and some Scandinavian countries play host too . No denying that . But we are not as rich as the other countries.

Dear Rockeyboy
did i blame Indian govt or Indian in my post? as far as i can see............i wrote what i felt, what i heard and what i experienced!
I neither blamed God or India!
havent u seen?! i blamed myself and my damn country, i have posted clearly that I no longer expect anything from India.

since this topic is about how media works and how they spread good values i wrote sth about cinema also.............but iam not blaming them.............PLS do read my post once again.........IAM NOT BLAMING ANYBODY ELSE OTHER THAN MYSELF AND MY DAMN COUNTRY!

PS: i dont think its good idea to spaek about eelam here.............coz i dont want this tread to be locked like the others, SO LETS STAY FROM EELAM AND APOLOGIZE FOR BRINGING THIS DAMN TOPIC HERE!

podalangai
12th July 2006, 04:35 PM
True,the refugee camps reek of negligence .True other countries like England,Canada and some Scandinavian countries play host too . No denying that . But we are not as rich as the other countries.
Rocketboy,

I am not going to talk about whether or not we should intervene - that is too sensitive to discuss on this hub. But we can surely talk about how we are treating the refugees. Even if we are not rich, there is a lot we can do. We can give them citizenship in India. We can give them permanent homes, rather than putting them in horrible reeking refugee camps. We can let them integrate fully into the society of Tamil Nadu. They will be very happy to do it. We OWE them at least that. These people are our blood brothers, they are the same people as me and you. Even if north Indians don't see it that way, we as Tamils must.

I agree with Thangar Pachan. But the problem is not just the media. The main problems is that we Tamils from TN DO NOT CARE about what is happening to our brothers. We can make a lot of excuses to justify ourselves, but the simple point is that we do not care. If we have our shallow material pleasures, it is enough for us. And since the media is only concerned with making a profit, they will pander to our shallow wants.

Thangar Pachan is very very right: naam ippo onrum seyyadhadhu oru akramam. Varumkaalam nammai manikkadhu. Ellotrukkum mel iruppavar nammai manikkamataar.

I feel very strongly about this topic. Ennaala summa irukka mudiyavillai. Sorry if I offended anyone.

crazy
12th July 2006, 05:29 PM
ANNA lets forget it............some treads r already locked coz of my eelam talk............i dont want this tread to lock............

lets forget the damn eelam and eelam tamils!

but what u said :thumbsup: :notworthy: :ty:

solona
13th July 2006, 05:24 AM
Feel really sorry for Eelam and Eelam people :oops: your reaction is normal Vasavi!
I left India just when the media revolution was starting in India when I came back four years later I saw the change, now ten years later I do not recognize anymore my India.

There are positive things and negative. My mother talks about "French riots", who is prepared to accept if my brother brings home a girl (which something she would not even accepted in her worst nightmares/ thanks to cinemas and TV serials) My brother scotched to the computer with his MP3 player on his ears(which he purchased on the net). all these youngsters who dress up like TV VJs, and cell phones on the ear. I don't know how to react. During my first trips to India I always yearned to see this India modern, India flourishing etc etc but now I ask myselves whether we are losing something on the other hand!

Do not know what will be the final result of this influence!hope positive

crazy
13th July 2006, 02:06 PM
Dear Solona,
Hm the same goes on here.........my parents r quite worried about me and my brothers .............or they r much more worried about me...............
i cant really find myself in this world seeying how fast the world moves. even yesterday night I and my brother were talking about the world and ppl.........
i and my brother used to talk about youths these days and how much they r influenced by the TV and Cinemas ..................i dont mean they r totally bad or just viewing crapy things..............sometimes, very rarely they show some good stuffs too........
seems like u r living abroad ..........u might have seen those big brother craps...........Good Lord..........big bro in US and then big bro in europe and then big bro in mideast?!
i think in near future the world will speak one language and we all adopt a new culture which is decided by the TV and cinemas .....................and new civilization............which is what i doesnt know.....................and we r moving so fast......that we might cross the speed of light and end up in Hell

i dont know .............this world seems so strange to me........i dont know whether i live in utopia or iam a pessimist as my proffesor calls me..............

BUT cant blame these youths only..............some parents really encourage such things and when their kids get in trouble or does sth really bad...............they blame everything and everybody other than themself........
i saw a 7 or 8 yr boy colored his hair.............a tamil kid.........God where r we really going...........
i dont say that coloring hair is bad or sth, but that boy was a kid...............and cellphones.............to a 7 yr kid...........I dont get it!

and some parents brag how BAD their kids speak tamil :roll: ok ok i dont mean that my tamil is good...........it stinks, but .............
"enn payyanukku thamizhe pesavaraadhu............enna? "

ayyo aandava..............

crazy
13th July 2006, 02:08 PM
Feel really sorry for Eelam and Eelam people :oops: your reaction is normal Vasavi!

NANDRI :notworthy: :ty: :)

how did u know my name :roll: :)

podalangai
13th July 2006, 05:17 PM
my parents r quite worried about me and my brothers .............or they r much more worried about me...............
About what, if you don't mind my asking?

i cant really find myself in this world seeying how fast the world moves.
You can find a place within yourself where things are quieter. It isn't difficult.

and some parents brag how BAD their kids speak tamil :roll: ok ok i dont mean that my tamil is good...........it stinks, but .............

Not just their children, some parents brag about how bad their own Tamil is. I went to a South Indian function where the man began by saying "See, I cannot give speech in Tamil so I must speak in English only." Saar, ningal pona varudam varil edha urile irundingal?? :roll: Anaal adhu mattum illai - Adhai avar eppadi uccharittharenru ninaikkaringal? ஐ கெனாட் க்யுவ் ச்பீச் யின் தமில் சொ ஐ மச்ட் ச்பீக் யின் யிஙலிச் வொன்ளி. :banghead: Thalaile aduchikka kai poravillai! But that is how we "educated" Indians are.

But at the same time in places like Madurai having children who cannot speak Tamil would still be a big shame, so I think it isn't everybody who is going this way.

crazy
13th July 2006, 05:32 PM
i cant really find myself in this world seeying how fast the world moves.
You can find a place within yourself where things are quieter. It isn't difficult..

anna: peace within myself...................quieter? :lol:

Not just their children, some parents brag about how bad their own Tamil is. I went to a South Indian function where the man began by saying "See, I cannot give speech in Tamil so I must speak in English only." Saar, ningal pona varudam varil edha urile irundingal?? :roll: Anaal adhu mattum illai - Adhai avar eppadi uccharittharenru ninaikkaringal? ஐ கெனாட் க்யுவ் ச்பீச் யின் தமில் சொ ஐ மச்ட் ச்பீக் யின் யிஙலிச் வொன்ளி. :banghead: Thalaile aduchikka kai poravillai! But that is how we "educated" Indians are.

ANNA i never take part in any func even when my mother keeps complaining .............u know why...........not coz iam stubborn or feeling myself superior...........its coz i hate the way both parents and kids act..............

i feel :( :( :(

INDIANS................????????? inga eezha thamizhargal mathiyilum idhe kodumai thaan :cry:

crazy
13th July 2006, 05:45 PM
my parents r quite worried about me and my brothers .............or they r much more worried about me...............
About what, if you don't mind my asking?

WELL my mother feel like iam totally "crazy"..........she feels and complain about my attitude ............say that i dont fit for this "world", feel iam too religious and too conservative.................which i deny. hates my ideas and thoughts ...............i tried explaining myself, but ...................my words sounds like "singhalese" to them!

my bros say that iam sentimental fool and wasting my time on silly things like speaking for eelam, tamil and humanity and etc, but they r much better than anyone ..............though they dont understand me.............they support me!

for my father...............iam out of date and "one way road"............so communication cut :roll:

totally they wonder how am i gonna survive in this ...........oh no "their" world!

pavalamani pragasam
13th July 2006, 06:10 PM
Crazy, you are living those beautiful, idealistic years of youth when anything substandard irritates, nauseates & makes you protest, rebel & resist. Not all are 'burdened' with such a 'pure' soul. Yes, I say burdened because it hinders such people to get along easily with the majority. In course of time, a few years, as you grow older your tolerance level will increase & you will learn to keep your irritations under control. The most you can wish for is to be allowed to be yourself with all your ideal outlook without being forced to compromise drastically with what goes against your nature. I wish you all luck & fortitude. Cheer up, spirits cant be broken so easily. Even if the whole world laughs at you never be ashamed of your good beliefs. Hold on to them. Be strong, feel strong. That is the way to live!

rocketboy
13th July 2006, 07:04 PM
True,the refugee camps reek of negligence .True other countries like England,Canada and some Scandinavian countries play host too . No denying that . But we are not as rich as the other countries.
Rocketboy,

I am not going to talk about whether or not we should intervene - that is too sensitive to discuss on this hub. But we can surely talk about how we are treating the refugees. Even if we are not rich, there is a lot we can do. We can give them citizenship in India. We can give them permanent homes, rather than putting them in horrible reeking refugee camps. We can let them integrate fully into the society of Tamil Nadu. They will be very happy to do it. We OWE them at least that. These people are our blood brothers, they are the same people as me and you. Even if north Indians don't see it that way, we as Tamils must.

I agree with Thangar Pachan. But the problem is not just the media. The main problems is that we Tamils from TN DO NOT CARE about what is happening to our brothers. We can make a lot of excuses to justify ourselves, but the simple point is that we do not care. If we have our shallow material pleasures, it is enough for us. And since the media is only concerned with making a profit, they will pander to our shallow wants.

Thangar Pachan is very very right: naam ippo onrum seyyadhadhu oru akramam. Varumkaalam nammai manikkadhu. Ellotrukkum mel iruppavar nammai manikkamataar.

I feel very strongly about this topic. Ennaala summa irukka mudiyavillai. Sorry if I offended anyone.

sure podalangai sir . Students who grew up in refugee camps were not allowed to pursue higher studies in colleges in TN once. I think this carpet ban was later revoked. A very positive sign . I welcome your views on citizenship .

selvakumar
13th July 2006, 07:15 PM
Podalangai Sir :notworthy: YOu spoke my mind ! :D
I had a chance to mingle with our brothers in a refugee camp sometime back. That camp is quite nearer to my town. Well. To behonest, the condition of the camp was very bad. and what is more irritating with our govt is they are building such camps in remote villages and other small towns :banghead: and OUR MEDIA IS PROCLAIMING AS IF WE ARE HELPING OUR BROTHERS.

To be honest, We have not helped them even 10% truly !

crazy
14th July 2006, 12:30 PM
Crazy, you are living those beautiful, idealistic years of youth when anything substandard irritates, nauseates & makes you protest, rebel & resist. Not all are 'burdened' with such a 'pure' soul. Yes, I say burdened because it hinders such people to get along easily with the majority. In course of time, a few years, as you grow older your tolerance level will increase & you will learn to keep your irritations under control. The most you can wish for is to be allowed to be yourself with all your ideal outlook without being forced to compromise drastically with what goes against your nature. I wish you all luck & fortitude. Cheer up, spirits cant be broken so easily. Even if the whole world laughs at you never be ashamed of your good beliefs. Hold on to them. Be strong, feel strong. That is the way to live!

PP amma: i take ur words........iam trying to be as calm as possible!
hope my thoughts and spirit never get broken :cry:
NANDRI :notworthy: :notworthy:

Selva anna: :notworthy: :notworthy:

a vey tiny request, lets not speak of eelam and eelam tamils :)

Lambretta
14th July 2006, 11:19 PM
Same advice holds good in my case too I guess! :D

pavalamani pragasam
15th July 2006, 08:53 AM
Yes, Lambretta! :D

crazy
15th July 2006, 04:48 PM
lamby and PP amma :)

Sinthiya
16th July 2006, 09:18 AM
:roll: :? :x :| :cry: ................. :roll:

solona
17th July 2006, 10:51 AM

Hi mini(can I call u that way that is tha image I have when I think about u)

I was a mute hubber long time used to read each and evry post without responding, so i know ur name.
You know I have a daughter, as I am living abroad I try the give her the Indian culture and habits which run in my veins(ex at home with me she has to speak in Tamizh, so now she has started watching tamil films etc as she understands, although tamil film does not really represent tamil culture nowadays :oops: )

She has to call me amma and not mom or mummy and other stuff

I encourage her to wear Indian dresses and be proud about(there are some Indian girls who are not at ease in wearing traditional dresses beacuse they feel as a center of attraction)

I never cut her hair and put long plaits

But back in India it the other way around, they dress up in western style, speak english always. I came recently to India, I was getting through customs and officer started talking in English, eventhough I replied in tamizh (I am not blond with blue eyes, enn monjiyil Indian nu ezhithi ootiyiruku and I was in Salwar) the airport a
employees speak English, Immigration also. Ellorum tamizh marunthutanga, auto driver kooda english than paesurar.

It is good to see my country flourishing and going ahead, but all these western influence!!

pavalamani pragasam
17th July 2006, 11:41 AM
Solona, :clap: for your love for our native identity which we are gradually losing, thanks to globalisation & MEDIA. :( The saying goes, "charity begins at home". If every mother follows you in bringing up her children in the lines of our ancient, proud traditions then the the whole society will become healthier, happier, mightier.

swathy
17th July 2006, 02:48 PM
Body language, pronounciation and dressing in tamil media is horrible. And the same complaint more focus is on cinema.

I used to see few programs then and there in malayalam, telugu and kannada channels. I have seen people there speaking their language properly (even actress) without using more english words and their dressing is descent.

Vijay TV has got some good programs like sigaram thotta manidhargal, neeya naaana, grands master etc

and above all Serials :banghead:

I already created a special thread regarding this in TV section. Crime and illegal affair has become an essential ingredient in every serial.

crazy
18th July 2006, 05:41 PM

Hi mini(can I call u that way that is tha image I have when I think about u)

I was a mute hubber long time used to read each and evry post without responding, so i know ur name.
You know I have a daughter, as I am living abroad I try the give her the Indian culture and habits which run in my veins(ex at home with me she has to speak in Tamizh, so now she has started watching tamil films etc as she understands, although tamil film does not really represent tamil culture nowadays :oops: )

She has to call me amma and not mom or mummy and other stuff

I encourage her to wear Indian dresses and be proud about(there are some Indian girls who are not at ease in wearing traditional dresses beacuse they feel as a center of attraction)

I never cut her hair and put long plaits

But back in India it the other way around, they dress up in western style, speak english always. I came recently to India, I was getting through customs and officer started talking in English, eventhough I replied in tamizh (I am not blond with blue eyes, enn monjiyil Indian nu ezhithi ootiyiruku and I was in Salwar) the airport a
employees speak English, Immigration also. Ellorum tamizh marunthutanga, auto driver kooda english than paesurar.

It is good to see my country flourishing and going ahead, but all these western influence!!

oh good.............u can call me the way u want!
maybe ur daughter is around my age or even younger :)

i hope i can call u amma or akka!
i remember my schooling in india.........and shopping with grandma

even in small shops they say what a thing cost in english and not in tamil...........
what time is it? how much does it cost? thanks, welcome blah blah madam, sir!!!!!!!

podalangai
18th July 2006, 06:08 PM
even in small shops they say what a thing cost in english and not in tamil...........
what time is it? how much does it cost? thanks, welcome blah blah madam, sir!!!!!!!
Thangachchi, were you in Chennai? It is different in smaller towns in TN, where Tamil is much more common in shops.

Anyway, this reminded me of a scene in a story by Ranjakumar which I was reading yesterday, where a woman says something in English in a shop, and the shopkeeper immediately feels that he also has to demonstrate that he can speak English.

It's something like that. In big cities, speaking English is considered a sign of education and accomplishment, so shopkeepers speak English to impress the customers ("aha, intha kadaikkaran angilam pesaraan... pinna ithu nalla kadaiya thaan irukkum, inime naangal ingiye varuvom"). People in places like Chennai aren't impressed by speaking colloquial Tamil, and if you speak good senthamil to them they think that you're either mad or a DMK politician. :(

manuel
18th July 2006, 07:15 PM
sometime back some of our politicians went against shopkeepers and others keeping english hoardings -- is that justified ? or what good does it do to anyone,

crazy
18th July 2006, 08:57 PM
Thangachchi, were you in Chennai? It is different in smaller towns in TN, where Tamil is much more common in shops.

Anyway, this reminded me of a scene in a story by Ranjakumar which I was reading yesterday, where a woman says something in English in a shop, and the shopkeeper immediately feels that he also has to demonstrate that he can speak English.

It's something like that. In big cities, speaking English is considered a sign of education and accomplishment, so shopkeepers speak English to impress the customers ("aha, intha kadaikkaran angilam pesaraan... pinna ithu nalla kadaiya thaan irukkum, inime naangal ingiye varuvom"). People in places like Chennai aren't impressed by speaking colloquial Tamil, and if you speak good senthamil to them they think that you're either mad or a DMK politician. :(

anna, i lived in trichy
it was always funny going shopping with my grandma. those who work in the shop always say what it cost in eng and then i translate to my grandma...........oneday i got sick of this and asked the guy who worked in the shop to speak in tamil..........i dont know what he thought, but he did as i said. he might have got got mad at me............but who cares........iam not going to meet him again in my life, i guess :)

Nakeeran
18th July 2006, 09:12 PM
If you consider magazines - only few like Thuklaq & Anantha vikatan / Kalki / kalaimagal - maintain ethics & standards

rest are all for PARAPARAPPU SEIDHIGAL & FAST MONEY MAKING

Satellie channels - I think Doordharshan still maintains its old identity !
Sun & Jaya - we all know well
Vijay & Raj are better

Daily news papers - Hindu/Express are good . While Express still has that old Ramnath Goenka touch,
Hindu maintains its traditional conservatism despite Ram being the chief !

solona
19th July 2006, 04:56 AM
[]

oh good.............u can call me the way u want!
maybe ur daughter is around my age or even younger :)

i hope i can call u amma or akka!
i remember my schooling in india.........and shopping with grandma

what time is it? how much does it cost? thanks, welcome blah blah madam, sir!!!!!!![/quote]

Yep u can call me akka, i m in my late 20's(so amma might make me feel a bit old :cry: ) kidding!

My daughter is 8 and she loves India, even the other day she took to school a book I bought in India to show to her friends. I have already heard her talk with her friends about India, I think she is proud to be an Indian.

I had to leave India as my parents decided to marry me to a NRI, I do not regret my marriage but my husband eventhough Indian in appearance is at first an European mentally, that is why I want my children to have this attachment towards our country and feel Indian.
Ammam Nakeeran thambi, naan sila sammyam thamizh paddikkanumnu ethavathu magazines internet la thaedina

Simbu/Nayantara kadal unamaya poiya ?
Sivakumarkku vaedugoundou mirattal
Ajith kku mirratal
This the news I read, even while in India I was never so well informed about tamizh film industry.

Namma country news enga varuthu? almost 80%of the tv programs are film based or presented by ex film actor or actress.
Useful program enga irrukku?(anyway romba illa)
On my last trip to India, I came home after shopping to find my mother is crying in front of the TV and telling anthe Abhi ponnu yaen than ippadi kashtapaduralo endru sollranga? who Abi amma, I asked.
She told me athan antha Kolangal Abi!I really did not know what to reply. Youngsters than TV parthu moothi poi vittargal endral vayasanavangalouma!

Surya
19th July 2006, 07:37 AM
Define Good Values and Culture....Everyone here differs on their difinition for this. What definition are we using for this debate?

NOV
19th July 2006, 08:09 AM
I have a theory on the so-called westernisation of thamizh society in TN.

It is the nature of mankind to protect whatever is deemed to be dwindling, thus in communities where thamizhars are the minority, there is a conscious effort to uphold tradition and culture. Whereas, in the motherland, there are no such restrictions and people are confident enough to adapt to the natural growth of society.

There are many examples of this pattern throughout the world. An easily recognisable one would be the Hinduism practised in Bali - an area forgotten by India many centuries ago. Their brand of Hinduism is totally unrecognisable and is in odds with several current practices. I suspect that Bali Hinduism would match that of the mid 10th centuries when the religion was brought over to Indonesia.

Thus, I cannot accept the popularly-held view of "loss of tradition" in our motherland, since it only means ... kaalaththin kattaayam. 8-)

solona
19th July 2006, 08:11 AM
My arguement is a big No, media's does not spread good values nor culture.
Culture, culture sollittu, wife husband kku 2 nd marriage panni vaikkira serials, tight t-shirt ttum low cut jeans potta tv Vj's ellam nammakku nalla culture, nalla value ellam thara porathillai enbathu en karuthu.
Inga irukkira (foreign Tv films) Indian stuff kkum ippothaellam athigam vithyasam illai, At first Indian films ellam bayam illama I used to allow my daughter see, now finished I watch at first read reviews and then only leave my daughter to see(lip-to-lip kiss, illicit relationships, bedroom scenes appapa)

NOV
19th July 2006, 08:19 AM
Actually I wont blame tv serials - no one is holding a gun to heads forcing ppl to watch. :D
Also, if there was no demand, there wouldnt be any supply either.

I feel that TV serials are for ppl who have plenty of time to spare, such as retirees, who can afford a fixed hour every day. :frightened:

How many of us have that luxury?

Ultimately, what we watch is in our hands and responsible parents have to decide whats best for their children.

As for movies, the trend of all-movies-for-everyone is long gone. Just like Hollywood, movies are made for certain segments of the audience. Just as how an elderly couple won't watch a Pokemon movie, so should a child not watch a movie made for adolescents. 8-)

pavalamani pragasam
19th July 2006, 08:36 AM
Is it fair to thrust such substandard, odious stuff on retirees who want some clean, happy entertainment to spend their well-earned leisure?

Badri
19th July 2006, 08:42 AM
Define Good Values and Culture....Everyone here differs on their difinition for this. What definition are we using for this debate?

Prechanaye anga thaan arambikkarathu!

Silambai karuvaaga veithu ezhuthiyathaal, silapadhikaaram endru peyar-nu padicha nyabagam undu. Aana, nijamaana karu ennamo, Kovalanudaya extra-marital affair thaan!

Tamizhin mummudhal kaaviyamey intha azhagunnaa, appo, indraya Tamizh serials-ai mattum yaen kurai kooranum?

Anthantha kaala kattathai vechu entertainment is devised. 10th Cent AD udaya panpaadu venumnaa, NOV sollura maathiri, Bali-ku thaan poganum!!!

Media-vai summa kuttam sollarthu oru puthu naagareegamaachu!

NOV
19th July 2006, 08:44 AM
Is it fair to thrust such substandard, odious stuff on retirees who want some clean, happy entertainment to spend their well-earned leisure?I would say, carry on, PP madam. :D
ippadi ellaam vaazhnthirukkalaamE endru ninaiththu oru peru :sigh2: vittu, fantsay la vaazhkkaiyai thodaralaamE :rotfl2:

Badri
19th July 2006, 08:45 AM
ippadi ellaam vaazhnthirukkalaamE endru ninaiththu oru peru :sigh2: vittu, fantsay la vaazhkkaiyai thodaralaamE :rotfl2:

Ennathaan irunthaalum ithu konjam over thaan! :lol:

NOV
19th July 2006, 08:52 AM
Ennathaan irunthaalum ithu konjam over thaan! :lol:aasai eppO pOnodhO, minji iruppadhu iyandhira vaazhkkai thaan :roll:

Badri
19th July 2006, 08:55 AM
Aasai thurandhaal agilam unakku -nu yetho oru paatu nyabagam varuthu! :roll:

NOV
19th July 2006, 08:59 AM
Aasai thurandhaal agilam unakku -nu yetho oru paatu nyabagam varuthu! :roll:oh yes.
one then becomes a non-human.. like your avathar.
ellOrum gnyaani aaga mudiyumaa?

also, we have to change our perception that retirees have ceased "living". Many I know are up and running (in more ways than one.) I'd say that 99% of the problems in the world would disappear if all of us become non-judgemental.

Surya
19th July 2006, 09:01 AM
Nov,
:rotfl: :rotfl:

Solona, :D
I'm Sorry if this is a too personal ?. But how old is ur daughter? NC, I'm guessing is North Carolina, If she is old enough to be in the 8th grade, (12-13 yrs) then the Lip-Lip Kissing is available with front row seats on the School Campus. Infact, "Bedroom Scenes" are very easily accesible @ Schools also. (Middle School.) From what I've seen from my friends, controlling what they watch at home is only 2% of their oppertunities. It'd be better to let them get exposed to those things (NOT SEX, things as mild as making out, because they're gonna see it anyway) and teach them the +'s & -'s and let them, and hope that they make the right choises.

Is it fair to thrust such substandard, odious stuff on retirees who want some clean, happy entertainment to spend their well-earned leisure?

thurusting? no one points a gun to their heads and makes them watch pudhupettai. There are always movies that come out which everyone will enjoy, like Chandramukhi etc. On TV, it doesn't seem like the retirees have a prob with the seriels. They're the main ones who keep Serials in business. :P

NOV
19th July 2006, 09:08 AM
Aasai thurandhaal agilam unakku -nu yetho oru paatu nyabagam varuthu! :roll:which makes me wonder... aasai thurandhavanukku agilam edhukku? :shaking:

pavalamani pragasam
19th July 2006, 09:20 AM
Yes, no one is forcing retirees to become couch potatoes viewing idiotic stories. They are sure enough running about, pursuing more 'interesting' activities! But dearth of creavity in entertainment field curtails their choice of TV channels. The child inside an adult continues to relish fairy tales. It is normal, natural, healthy! An aversion for what is ugly better be maintained! Let fine sensibilites not be blunted!

solona
19th July 2006, 09:53 AM
Nov,
:rotfl: :rotfl:

Solona, :D
I'm Sorry if this is a too personal ?. But how old is ur daughter? NC, I'm guessing is North Carolina, If she is old enough to be in the 8th grade, (12-13 yrs) then the Lip-Lip Kissing is available with front row seats on the School Campus. Infact, "Bedroom Scenes" are very easily accesible @ Schools also. (Middle School.) From what I've seen from my friends, controlling what they watch at home is only 2% of their oppertunities. It'd be better to let them get exposed to those things (NOT SEX, things as mild as making out, because they're gonna see it anyway) and teach them the +'s & -'s and let them, and hope that they make the right choises.

thurusting? no one points a gun to their heads and makes them watch pudhupettai. There are always movies that come out which everyone will enjoy, like Chandramukhi etc. On TV, it doesn't seem like the retirees have a prob with the seriels. They're the main ones who keep Serials in business. :P

Surya, my daughter is 8 and I am lucky to live in a lost island in the pacific where what you described above does not take place all over, yeah teenagers here are much more in advance here but my daughter at 8 does not go and watch any films she likes and I think that will be that way until she is with me. The fact that she watches someone kissing one the road is different from watching a film mother and daughter togather where two persons kiss passionately or make love.

But what I meant to say was before I could sit and watch any tamizh films without doing any previews etc, which is not the case now, she did not see PP but watched Chitiram Pesudadi with me, she liked it a lot. before when I receive Tamizh films I could almost see all of them with my daughter nowdays the ratio is 3/10

I recently read in Aval Vikatan that a lady went and found a second wife for her husband(seeing a TV serial and thinking that she was Pathiviradai) because she could not have child, and war broke out between the 2 wives and the husband comitted suicide,The girl who played seetha in Ramayana stands for elections,my mother who is mood out for an entire day( while her only daughter on 1 month vacation with her after 3 years) because Abhi is ill treated by her family(kolangal or something like that) you think these are good influences. My younger brother spends his entire time with MP3 player notched to his ears, when he does'nt listen he is downloading.

Of course I do not condemn the entire industry or the media there are many exceptions but definetly I do not think that we are taking a positive direction by encouraging gore films and stupid TV serials. This a personal opinion I do not mean to thrust this on you or anyone else. Some may even find this absurd but that is the way I think :)

rajraj
19th July 2006, 10:29 AM
also, we have to change our perception that retirees have ceased "living". Many I know are up and running (in more ways than one.)

Some of them just walk ! :lol:

bingleguy
19th July 2006, 11:10 AM
:roll:

pavalamani pragasam
19th July 2006, 11:16 AM
Some retirees are actually running after very energetic toddlers & tots! With pleasure & efficiency too!

NOV
19th July 2006, 11:35 AM
Some retirees are actually running after very energetic toddlers & tots! With pleasure & efficiency too!some ppl have greatness thrust upon them (meaning, not their choice) :lol:

I've told my kids that I've toiled and spent my entire productive time on bringing them up and when it comes to their children... I will be the doting grandparent - whenever they come visiting (is once a month too much? :o)

pavalamani pragasam
19th July 2006, 12:09 PM
Shakespeare must be turning in his grave :lol:

Lambretta
19th July 2006, 05:03 PM
PP ma'm,
Good posts as always! :D
Will revert in detail later as I'm rather busy now.....jus managed to drop in for a few mins. today! :oops:

podalangai
20th July 2006, 06:48 AM
I have a theory on the so-called westernisation of thamizh society in TN.

It is the nature of mankind to protect whatever is deemed to be dwindling, thus in communities where thamizhars are the minority, there is a conscious effort to uphold tradition and culture. Whereas, in the motherland, there are no such restrictions and people are confident enough to adapt to the natural growth of society.
Indeed, NOV, you're right when it comes to minorities. I've seen so many Indians in this part of the world clinging to a conservativism that may have been the norm in India of the 1950s, but today seems outdated even in India.

It's not as simple as that as far as the motherland goes. When society adapts to changing conditions, there is always a liberal section which seeks to drag it, kicking and screaming, into the brave new world of modernity, and a conservative section which thinks that one should, if anything, return to the wonderful ways of a hundred years ago. For a culture to continue as a living tradition, you need both. Without the liberals, tradition will fossilise under the firmly dug heels of the conservatives; without the conservatives, it will disappear into the mire of eager overly-liberal change.

So let us conservatives gripe here about the Good Old Ways which are being forgotten. On our griping hinges the fate of posterity. :D

When I saw the request for a definition, I was certain this had to be Rohit! I see some good influence has rubbed off on you, Surya!

Justice
22nd July 2006, 07:56 AM
But what do you have to say to the families of those killed and injured along with Rajiv. Things are not going to be the same crazy . If LTTE hadn't done that I think India would have atleast taken a step to resolve the crisis. I am definitely no supporter of the LTTE. But my sympathies lie with the Srilankan Tamils.
Well I noticed how big a difference the experience of living in SL makes. Ask the SLankans who went through the misery(Indian army)
From your perspective, you're right.

For whom it's not a good sign? Srilankans?

selfishness.. You just care only if/when either China or Pakistan intervenes

crazy
23rd July 2006, 08:40 PM
But what do you have to say to the families of those killed and injured along with Rajiv. Things are not going to be the same crazy . If LTTE hadn't done that I think India would have atleast taken a step to resolve the crisis. I am definitely no supporter of the LTTE. But my sympathies lie with the Srilankan Tamils.
Well I noticed how big a difference the experience of living in SL makes. Ask the SLankans who went through the misery(Indian army)

:roll: :oops2: :shhh: :omg:

rocketboy
27th July 2006, 08:00 AM

First things first . I do know if it was not for the LTTE , the sinhalese vandals would have by now completely slaughtered the entire tamil population. I never supported and will never support the IPKF. I was merely saying that the LTTE shouldn't have done what it did in India.

And by Srilankans I meant the pro sinhalese Srilankan govt. Its not a good sign for both of us.

If I had hurt anyone , my apologies. Lets not pursue this topic anymore. I felt obliged to reply to your post.