View Full Version : Nagarjuna's Sri Damadasu - A Classic

Raikkonen
31st March 2006, 10:57 AM
[tscii:3aebd41cd0]Jeevi rating: 3.75/5
Punchline:Srirama Naamamrutham
Genre: Devotional
Type: Straight
Banner: Aditya Productions
Cast: Nagarjuna, ANR, Sneha, Suman, Sujatha, Sameer, Nasseer, Nagababu, Sarath Babu, Brahmanandam, Jayaprakash Reddy, Sunil, Dharmavarapu, Hema, Veda & Master Teja
Music: MM Keeravani
Script - dialogues: JK Bharavi
Cinematography: S Gopal Reddy
Editing: Sreekar Prasad
Art: Bhaskara Raju
Screenplay - direction: K Raghavendra Rao
Producer: Konda Krishnam Raju
Release Date: 30th March, 2006

Review

Story

Gopanna (Nagarjuna) is a happy-go-lucky guy and marries his childhood love Kamala (Sneha). He secures the job of Tahasildar for Husnabad on the recommendation of his maternal uncles Akkanna and Madanna. He gets inspired by the devotion shown by Dammakka towards Lord Rama and the way she protects the idols of Rama, Seeta and Lakshmana. He becomes a great devotee of Lord Rama over night. He vows that he would stay in open place just like statue of Lord Rama till a temple is constructed. He collects 6 lakhs of coins through donations and constructs Rama temple in Bhadrachalam with the guidance of his guru Kabir Das (ANR). A few ill-minded people misinform emperor Taanisha (Nasseer) that Gopanna misused emperor’s money to construct temple. Meanwhile, Kabir Das confers Gopanna the title of Sri Ramadasu on the insistence of Lord Rama. The rest of the story is all about how Tanisha realizes his mistake and sets Sri Ramadasu free.

Artists Performance

Nagarjuna: Nagarjuna is perhaps the most luckiest hero among his contemporaries for getting such roles like Annamayya and Sri Ramadasu. He did extremely well in the title role. His histrionics in the last reel where ‘Dasaradhi’ song comes are extraordinary. Nobody knows how Sri Ramadasu looks like and whenever we think about Sri Ramadasu in the future, the image of Nagarjuna becomes the visual aid.

Others: ANR acted in the vital role of Kabir Das. He brought believability to this character that is considered as guru to Ramadasu. Sneha is fabulous a devoted wife of Ramadasu. Sujatha donned one of the most important roles in this film as Dammakka. She injects devotion into the soul of Gopanna with her deeds. Suman is good as Lord Rama. Nasseer is appropriate in the role of Tanisha. Veda is fair as Seeta. Nagababu is pretty good in the role of Ravana. Among the comedians Sunil and Brahmanandam are impressive.

Technical Departments:

Screenplay - Direction: K Raghavendra Rao has the uncanny ability of striking back whenever everybody writes him off. K Raghavendra Rao proved again why he is called a legendry commercial director with this film. He narrated the entire film in a simple way by giving more importance to the emotions than the grandeur. He made sure that the emotions graph goes up as the film progresses by capturing the attention of audiences. He used pretty good commercial elements in the last half an hour of the film. The thread of parrot is nicely woven into the story.

Music: Songs and rerecording by MM Keeravani is the biggest asset of Sri Ramadasu. We have 19 songs in this film and all songs are neatly blended into the storyline. Backgrund music is terrific. Keeravani’s background music for Sri Ramadasu is another fine example for how good music increases the emotional depth of the film. The last three songs (Yento Ruchira, Ishvakulaku and Dasarathi) take the film into different level.

Other departments: Cinematography by S Gopal Reddy is very good. Script by JK Bharavi is a plus point. The dialogues are very meaningful and appropriate. Especially the one - ‘Sreeramudiki nuvvu gudi kattinchavu. Ninnu Sreeramudu gundello vunchukunnadu’. The powerful dialogues written for Nagarjuna in Tanisha court in second half got great response. Editing by Srikar Prasad is fine. Artwork by Bhaskara Raju is good. Producer Konda Krisham Raju should be appreciated for coming forward to make such a different film.

Analysis: The first half of the film is decent. The emotional graph starts growing up from ‘Antha Ramamayam’ song and goes to the peak by the film reaches climax. Second half of the film is very good. The plus points of this film are Nagarjuna’s histrionics, Keeravani’s music, K Raghavendra Rao’s direction of JK Bharavi’s script. Sri Ramadasu film comes as fresh breeze when we are bombarded with routine and formula flicks. I recommend this devotional flick to everybody.

[/tscii:3aebd41cd0]

bingleguy
31st March 2006, 10:59 AM
Good One ... tobe watched movie !

Raikkonen
31st March 2006, 11:19 AM
unfortunately this movie wont do well in BO i shink

njv
1st April 2006, 07:03 PM
BO report says that this movie will beat the annamayya records. they are expecting that it will run between 300 to 400 days. Lets see.

btw anything with balaji/venkateshwara/ram/laddu will do good in andra.

Raikkonen
1st April 2006, 09:42 PM
Nag follows legend NTR route...

Raikkonen
6th April 2006, 09:09 AM
[tscii:7eb5bd3a27]Powered by Hyderabad-based NowPos Online Services Pvt limited which created and launched the world’s first voice e-mail a few weeks ago which is the next generation web-based e-mailing paradigm based on a unique and patent-applied voice emailing. Nagarjuna will become the first film actor ever to have a complete voice email site dedicated to him and his fans.

Speaking at the press conference held before formal inaugural, NowPos (short for Now Possible), an online voice technology company, Nagarjuna said, “It is a great feeling for me to connect with my fans, in my own voice instead of conventional emails. As to know that they can reply back to me, speak to me - from anywhere in the world. This way I can speak to them in both English and Telugu.”

Speaking to the media, Ayyappa Nagubandi, Leader NowPos said, “Nagarjuna is a great star, a powerful icon on the silver screen, and a great person of it. Throughout his career, he has set new paths boldly, first when he wore hitherto iconoclastic jeans and sports shoes in Shiva representing youth, and years later, when he defied convention to adorn the garb of Annamayya. NowPos, which represents the same spirit of innovation, experimentation and creation of bold experiences, is proud to be associated with Nag to create this unique solution for stars celebrities to keep in touch with their fans.”

“NowPos is a great concept and product, and I am proud being a Hyderabadi and Indian to know that such a revolutionary paradigm has taken birth here. I congratulate NowPos, and thank them for providing me with this great tool to keep in touch with my fans.”, Nagarjuna said.

[/tscii:7eb5bd3a27]

Raikkonen
6th April 2006, 09:11 AM
[tscii:51b974f5bb]The unit of Sri Ramadasu arranged an appreciation meet on the evening of 3rd April at Prasad Labs preview theater. Chiranjeevi, Tabu, Murali Mohan are the guests. Nagarjuna, K Raghavendra Rao, Keeravani, S Gopal Reddy, JK Bharavi and Konda Krishnam Raju attended from Sri Ramadasu unit.

Nagarjuna should do Jesus role - Murali Mohan
Actor Murali Mohan said, “I knew that Sri Ramadasu would become a hit the moment I heard about the announcement of this film. Everybody doubted Nagarjuna’s capability to devotional role when Annamayya’s project was announced. But he proved everybody wrong with his fine portrayal in Annamayya. I think the last 3 reels of Sri Ramadasu film are spell-bounding. Actors like Nagayya, NTR and ANR were considered as lucky actors as they got chance to do all genre films in that era. But in the present situation, we have only social films releasing. Nagarjuna is the only actor who got devotional films. I saw Jesus in the performance of Nagarjuna as Sri Ramadasu in the last three reels. I request Nagarjuna to do the role of Jesus in K Raghavendra Rao's direction. Chittoor Nagayya attempted Sri Ramadasu earlier. He took 9-10 years to make that film which was a loss venture. Fortunately Nagarjuna’s Sri Ramadasu’s shoot went on smoothly and got hit talk on day one. K Raghavendra Rao proved again that he is capable of delivering great films if provided with good scripts. I am feeling jealous about Konda Krishnam Raju that I did not produce this film.”

Actress Tabu said, “I started my career with K Raghavendra Rao’s film. I am amazed with the variety he has in selecting subjects. My friend Nag did the role of Sri Ramadasu very convincingly.”

Comedy actor Sunil said, “I was very afraid to do my role in Sri Ramadasu as my Telugu has godavari accent. K Raghavendra Rao asked me to tell the dialogues like a kid who recollects by hearted lines. JK Bharavi took special care in my dubbing.”

Sri Ramadasu will will remain as one of the greatest films ever made in the history of Telugu cinema - Chiranjeevi
Guest Chiranjeevi said, “I saw Sri Ramadasu a couple of days back along with my family members. Everyone of us were filled with emotion after the completion of screening. When I met Nagarjuna and K Raghavendra Rao after the show, I could not find words to describe how good the film was. There was so much of heaviness in my heart. We met again in the evening and explained them how much I liked Sri Ramadasu. When Annamayya film was announced with Nagarjuna, I thought that they could have made it with me. But my dates were not available and they were making it with Nag. Nobody knew how Annamayya looks like. Since Nag did that film, people got impression that Annamayya is a lean person. If I had done Annamayya, audience would have thought that Annamayya is a stout (kanda pushti) person. After watching Sri Ramadasu film, I felt that only Nag can do it. Sri Ramadasu will remain as one of the greatest films ever made in the history of Telugu cinema. Nagarjuna was looking so youthful in Super film and he used the same hair for Sri Ramadasu to portray contrastingly different character.”

The biggest compliment came from Akhil - Nagarjuna
Nagarjuna started his speech with ‘Jai Sriram’ and made sure that everybody joined him in Jai Sriram chant when he completed speech. Nagarjuna said, “The credit of making me Sri Ramadasu goes to Bharavi, Keeravani and K Raghavendra Rao. This film was opened with great response. Kids (especially 8,9 and 10th class students) liked it immensely. It is like Ramayanam which they study in books coming alive on screen for them. When I was a kid, I developed interested in Ramayanam and Bhagavatam after watching NTR and ANR films. The biggest compliment for Sri Ramadasu came from my son Akhil. He said that he would dream of Rama the night he watched Sri Ramadasu. I learnt about Telugu culture by doing Sri Ramadasu. I also learned how to treat colleagues by looking at the generous gesture of Chiranjeevi. After watching the film, Chiranjeevi asked us to call him for the press meet of Sri Ramadasu so that he could share his feelings. JK Bharavi came up with a great script. Keeravani injected emotions with his music. I love Nannu Brovamani Cheppave song and I expected that song to be shot over a period of 5 days. But K Raghavendra Rao completed it in 1 and half day. That shows how well K Raghavendra Rao does his home work. I am happy that media liked the film unanimously.”

[/tscii:51b974f5bb]

romio
10th April 2006, 02:04 PM
Sri Ramadasu is superhit in Andhra

Nag fan site :)

http://www.nagfans.com

romio
10th April 2006, 02:07 PM
[tscii:6d611666c2]Sri Ramadasu – A hit!

Monday, 03 April , 2006, 10:15

Hit at last! Sri Ramadasu is 2006’s first genuine hit and has the potential to turn into a super hit if family audiences lap it up. The film has opened well all over Andhra including Chennai and the word-of-mouth is encouraging.
The trade was skeptical about a mythological film taking an opening as Nagarjuna fans are mainly the youth who loved his stylishly made Super. In fact the youth audience was very cold to Sri Ramadasu but now they are saying that “it is a must see for Nag’s performance”.

For the first time in recent times, the family audience have come out and ladies in smaller stations outnumber men at ticket counters- a strange phenomenon these days! If this trend continues, then the film will be the big summer hit.

The music of Keeravani and Sneha’s performance as Kamala has ensured that the film touches the mass lady audience. Though Sri Ramadasu is nowhere in the league of Rao-Nag combination Sri Annamayya, the opening assures the fact that there is still an audience for films in this genre.

Meanwhile the Sri Ramadasu unit is meeting on April 7 at Bhadrachalam to get the blessings of Lord Rama! This success meet and the subsequent coverage in channels is sure to boost the film further.

Sri Ramadasu - a super hit allover the world!! April 05, 2006

http://www.behindwoods.com/tamil-movie-news/apr-06-01/05-04-06-nagarjuna.html

Once in a while comes a film that breaks all the prevailing myths about box office preferences. The recent example is the Telugu film, Sri Ramadasu, about the poet-saint, Bhadrachala Ramadas. It is a total anti-thesis about a popular Telugu film. No garish costumes, ear shattering music, bone crushing action or skimpily clad heroine gyrating to show off dangerous curves. It is a devotional film and the performances by the lead cast of Nagarjuna and Sneha have raised it to great heights. Interestingly, Nagarjuna is an action hero himself but he is reinventing himself with such delicate roles as in his previous hit of the same theme, Annamayya.

The film has set an excellent trend by making families return to theaters. “It is quite heartening to note women and children throng for the film in droves”, says one experienced box office clerk. The performances are down to earth and the treatment wholesome. Keeravani’s music is a big asset. The entire crew went to Bhadrachalam recently to offer prayers at the temple built by Ramadas.
[/tscii:6d611666c2]

andhrudu
18th April 2006, 07:03 PM
Box Office: Lord Rama Rules the Theatres Incessantly

1. Sree Ramadasu:

The film has been ruling the theaters in all the centers including A, B and C. Nagarjuna's performance as Ramadasu worked well at the box office, while music and screenplay of the film played very vital roles. The film sits in position-1 in the Toppers' List of Tollywood this week.

2. Devadasu:

YVS Choudary's 'Devadasu' refreshed its box office collections in the recent past, although it got average feedback initially. The film is running with houseful collections at many centers irrespective of area. Music and lyrics take major share in the success of the film. Ram and Iliana paired up in the film. The film sits in position-2 in Tollywood Toppers' List.

3. Basic Instinct-2 (Telugu):

It's interesting to know that although the opening and second day collections were weak, the eventual days are making the theaters houseful. Youth and male audiences are gushing into the theatres to watch Sharon Stone in her sequel of 'Basic Instinct-1'. The film sits in position-3 in Toppers' list of the week.

4. Premante Inthey:

The combination of Navadeep and Poonam worked well on screen. Theatres are turning full in evenings and second shows with family audiences. But the average range story line and weak narration may mar the durability of the film. Next week would decide the fate of this film. As of now, it is in fourth position in Toppers' List of the week.

5. 10th Class:

New faces Bharath, Saranya and Sunayana paired up for the film that goes with a theme of teenage love and social interest. Lack of entertainment values reduced the audiences' inflow into the theaters. But the songs in the film are receiving positive applause from different centers. The film sits in osition-5 in Toppers' List of the week.

andhrudu
18th April 2006, 07:04 PM
http://www.greatandhra.com/movies/boxoffice.php

andhrudu
18th April 2006, 07:06 PM
Nagarjuna Bags Rs. 9 Crores with 'Sree Ramadasu'!

Unofficial sources say that the remuneration of Chiranjeevi per film is Rs. 7 Crore.

Now Nagarjuna is almost surpassing him in this aspect. As per the unconfirmed sources it's learned that Nagarjuna took a remuneration of Rs. 3 crore for 'Sree Ramadasu' and also bagged Naizam distribution rights as rider. It's an estimation that Naizam collections would be somewhere between Rs. 5 Crore and Rs. 6 Crore if the tempo continues to be the same.

Thus Nag is going to bag around Rs. 8 to Rs. 9 Crore for 'Sree Ramadasu. Indeed, it's really a big deal that surpasses every Tollywood actor in recent time.

Well, Nag is making merry with the success he tastes. Even the distributors are happy counting currency and putting in their treasure.

Hulkster
18th April 2006, 07:09 PM
Nagarjuna's performance in sri ramadasu was quite good but i still feel NTR is always the king in such roles...when NTR played Krishna you can actually feel that this is how krishna looked like...such was his portrayal...desptie being a tamilian...i have watched NTR's movies and his portrayal of characters like Krishna has to be the best in India...nobody had such extravagance or eloquence in performing such a role...i infact remarked to my mum why Krishna doesnt come to our house after watching Karna when i was young.

andhrudu
18th April 2006, 07:17 PM
undoubtedly NTR is always best in Devotional roles but he failed in devoteee roles where as his archrival ANR succeed very well in Devotee roles

but in this generation Only Nag has attempted tese kind of roles and he succeded verywell.

still i cant imagine him in krishna role as you said :)

andhrudu
18th April 2006, 07:31 PM
The devotional film "Sri Ramadasu" starring Nagarjuna is drawing huge crowds in theatres across the state.

The top five Telugu films are:

1. "Sri Ramadasu" - Veteran director K. Raghavendra Rao shows how to hold the audiences with a gripping screenplay. M.M. Keeravani's music has enhanced the film's appeal manifold.

2. "Ranam" - Action hero Gopichand joins the big league with the film. Despite playing a light-hearted hero, in contrast to his intense roles, he has made the film a winner.

3. "Laxmi" - After comfortably crossing the 50-day mark, the film faces a challenge from new releases. Director Vinayak has made a contrived plot work at the box office.

4. "Ram" - Nitin's youth-oriented film has had a better opening than his previous releases. Hit pair Nitin and Genelia look good together. Besides entertaining the audience, director Shankar's film carries a message as well.

5. "Devadasu" - Filmmaker Y.V.S. Choudury's teenage romance is gradually improving its box-office performance. The film launched actress Illeana in a big way.