PDA

View Full Version : Importance of Lungi

arunmohanother
3rd April 2006, 01:03 PM
Hello Friends,

I see many youngsters here. I think, its nice to discuss something about Home fashion. Many youngsters now a days, have high fashion western outfits outside. In modern world, its important to promote such dress outside.

But, Well, can we discuss promotion of our native Homely attire, Lungi at home.

Lungi/mundu is our traditional attire at homes. This dress is not only manly, but also erotic as well as fit as homely dress.

Well, our fathers have been used to this, right from their youth days. Their parents have insisted them to be in such dress. Well, when our generation comes, isn't it far better to adopt such native dress atleast inside.

Many parents, who have teenage sons, please, must express their opinions, should they encourage their youngsters to wear Lungi at home.

I think, our member friends, particularily young friends, must express their opinion about this matter.

Also pls tell, which is more better combination with Lungi at home. Is it Lungi with T Shirt or Lungi with Sleveless Vest or Lungi with barechest for men and boys.

I am 21 yrs old and wearing Lungi since my 9th standard onwards. I love this native dress and wish opinions of my friends here. Pls express.

swathy
3rd April 2006, 01:27 PM
haha a thread for lungi great :-)

my vote is for veshti :-)

Alan
3rd April 2006, 02:12 PM
the lungi- erotic? Lol!!!!

I personally prefer cotton bermudas/shorts at home (when I am alone) and Pyjamas when there are others around .

Shakthiprabha.
3rd April 2006, 03:47 PM
For an indian casuals,

shorts, pyjamma is best.

I liked dhotiz or veshtis than lungi.

My dad NEVER WORE LUNGI, but preferred clean white dhotis as casuals at home.

My hus, cousins etc prefer shorts, dhotis or other casuals like pyjammas

P_R
3rd April 2006, 04:10 PM
The lungi outstrips the vEshti (no pun intended) !
Though a 4 muzham cotton vEshti is quite pleasant it does not even near lungi in terms of comfort. Any vEshti wearer who has tried to sit on the floor can vouch for that. The lungi stitched along the vertical edge is a revolution in comfort fashion.

I strongly recommend it to the poor pajama folks. As far as shorts go, well a lungi can always double up as a pair of shorts.

NOV
3rd April 2006, 06:09 PM
It has been quite some time since we have had some amusement in the Hub. Guess this thread will fill the void.

After the debate on which way should the toilet paper roll (face up or face down - believe me there are webstes devoted to this "problem") lungi or shorts seem to be the most pressing issue now.

I used to wear lungi from the time I was 17/18. Guess I wanted to feel grown up.

I started using shorts when turned 35. Guess I want to feel young again.

rocketboy
3rd April 2006, 07:23 PM
i started wearing lungi during my high school days. i don't use it anymore. i'll never wear veshti . no , not even once .its translucent. :oops: .

summer or winter i feel very comfortable wearing jeans . 8-)

Vivek
3rd April 2006, 08:17 PM
lungi is to promote equality between men and women . women use pavadai and men use lungi............. lol

ssanjinika
3rd April 2006, 08:22 PM
:lol: vivek
Lungis or veshtis huh?? Well I wouldnt know.my husband claims both are equaly uncomfortable and has nightmares of it falling down to the ground before he can catch it and hold it to his hips.For our wedding he refused to wear a veshti till his folks agreed to him wearing a belt outside his veshti to hold it in place :lol: .

rocketboy
3rd April 2006, 08:23 PM
in burma or bhutan , women wear lungi too. i mean , it resembles the lungi to a great extent. :rotfl: :rotfl: .

rocketboy
3rd April 2006, 08:32 PM
traditional burmese dress

Here is how they are called:-

Ladies:

* INNER TOP (white): yin zee
* OUTER TOP (white): ain gee
* BOTTOM (colorful patterns on white): tine ma thane longyi
* SCARF(white): zar pawar
* VELVET SILPPERS (crimson): pone taw katipar phanut

:notworthy:

great
3rd April 2006, 10:39 PM
in burma or bhutan , women wear lungi too. i mean , it resembles the lungi to a great extent. :rotfl: :rotfl: .

How about in SL

Scale
3rd April 2006, 10:49 PM
:rotfl: @ all

If a girl like GayJoshi ties dhothi,lungi... with an enduring ARR's instrumentals in the BGM, I am ready for anything. :wink:

Shakthiprabha.
3rd April 2006, 11:32 PM
I think in late 70z women used to wear lungis too (modern women) it used to be advertised for both men and women.

Lambretta
4th April 2006, 01:03 AM
Hey all,
Glad to be back here after quite a while! :D
And also glad to see a thread tat relates to me! :P :lol:
Arunmohan, wow! ur only 21 & u like lungis??! Well, rest assured atleast u can see tat ur not alone here! :wink: :D
Infact I started wearing Veshtis (known as Pancha in Telugu) as well as Lungis pretty much around the same age.....& 4-5 yrs later, I can now say tat I feel the most comfy in them!
But for my father, I seriously never thot I'd be wearing them in my life tho! :lol:
Earlier, at home I'd wear my old pants tat I stopped wearing outside & also a couple of old faded/patched bell-bottom pants tat wer originally my father's...I had to get them altered to fit my waist size (wich was nearly 1/2 of his! :P :lol:)......
Then at one point, my father suddenly began to insist tat I start wearing veshti at home.......being a doctor he said it wasnt advisable to always wear tight-fitting clothes viz. pants while sleeping etc. as they tend to incude heat tat may result in infertility in men!
At first, I refused saying tat ther was no way I cud be comfy in a veshti/lungi etc....had the opinion tat it was very troublesome to handle.......but my father went on pressing me, yelling out "Veshti kattiko daaaa.....!!" every now & then at home, even warning me of the consequences (viz. infertility! :oops:)
So I offered to wear shorts/bermudas at home as my friend wears those.....dad veto'd tat too, saying tat I'm too grown-up for those & its rude to show my "ugly hairy" legs in front of outsiders/visitors, esp. ladies! And I didnt like the idea of having to maintain more than 1 casual attire at home!
I didnt feel payjamas convenient either bcos um.....they dont hav the zip at front & u hav to always tie the 'nada' tight, & I hate the elastic ones! :P
So, out of no choice, I went for the veshti......at first it was very difficult to stay in, but eventually as my father helped me wear them properly & I got used to them, I realised how comfy/free they cud make u feel esp. in our climate! Also its so quick/easy to wear/take off comp'd w/ ne other Indian/Western outfit I can think of! :D
Besides, I also agree......wen women, young & old hav been wearing Sarees all these decades (yea, not as many now but ther still r those who wear them), wats wrong if a guy choosse to wear veshtis/lungis even if young? In fact IMO tat'd only be fair! :)
Altho even I personally agree Veshti looks more decent comp'd to lungi, I wear both regularly.....but only at home! Bcos firstly, they unftly dont hav pockets wich r a necessity (for guys atleast!)
Also I'd feel kinda 'shy' to wear them while going out newher.....altho I guess if I wer in Madras/TN (wher these r far more common) I wudn't mind wearing them (esp. veshti) while going out for a stroll or to the corner shop......altho def. no chance of wearing it as formal/official wear even if I wanted to! In this regard, I think ladies r luckier still being able to wear Sarees outside (I mean only those who LIKE to wear those! :))
Well, tats how my story began! :P Wud ne of the like-minded guys like to share how u got to like wearing these? I'm sure tat'll make it a more interesting interaction! :D

Lambretta
4th April 2006, 01:38 AM
Though a 4 muzham cotton vEshti is quite pleasant it does not even near lungi in terms of comfort. Any vEshti wearer who has tried to sit on the floor can vouch for that.
Hmm.....really? :? I never felt tat way in cotton veshtis, unless u mean 'mal' veshtis? They're longer (I think double the length) than the 'normal' veshti......I never wear those, except for occasions wher I've had to wear silk ones, wore one for my mama's 60th b'day ceremony on sat.day.....and yea, it sure was uncomfy esp. for the Madras summer.....worst part is the sharp zari edge below scratches ur ankles as u walk......also turned out I was the only one (other than my mama of coruse, who wore a silk dhoti)- even the older gents turned up in cotton veshtis tat day! :oops: :roll:

As far as shorts go, well a lungi can always double up as a pair of shorts.
Yup, so does a veshti, altho not many (inc. me!) think it decent to wear them tat way ther r guys who do, esp. while riding cycle/motorcycle! Thankfully, u dont hav to while riding a scooter! :)
*DIGR*
Btw, PR, I find u 2 seem to like certain old things despite being from the new gen......u said u even hav an old chetak....! :)
Glad to see sum like-minded 'odd-ones-out' over here! :lol:

in burma or bhutan , women wear lungi too. i mean , it resembles the lungi to a great extent.
Yea women wear them even in Malaysia (wher its known as Sarong) & they used to in Singapore as well......

Well I wouldnt know.my husband claims both are equaly uncomfortable and has nightmares of it falling down to the ground before he can catch it and hold it to his hips.
:lol: Yea SS, I felt pretty much the same wen I started wearing Veshti/lungis.......I think the only way out is to wear them regularly, else they most likely wudnt end up being our cup o tea! :)
Incidentally, I'm sure this is pretty much how even women feel wen they first wear a Saree.....& I guess in the old days even they eventually got to like (& even love) wearing them bcos they wud wear those regularly back then.....:)
As I said, once I got used to wearing veshtis/lungis, I've never felt more comfy in nething else......I dont even hav to worry abt waist size, unlike in the case of pants (now tat I'm getting a 'thoppai' most of my current pants dont fit me nemore! :oops: )

I think in late 70z women used to wear lungis too (modern women) it used to be advertised for both men and women.
Yea I rem. seeing a few films of tat time wher actresses playing 'modern' women wore kurta/lungis......I think they did mainly as a night dress......I've heard of sum wearing even men's shirts for bedtime.....

Querida
4th April 2006, 07:50 AM
:lol: thanx Lambretta your previous post gave me a well-needed laugh...no offense...really it's just frank fun, anyways yep papa and uncles all wear lunghis....we call them kai-lees...i thought that's what lunghis are called....anyways is saram the same as veshti? Anything with a shirt on is great :lol: Here it's jogging pants or shorts...but if only jeans were comfortable to sleep in ...i don't think anyone would take them off!

Lambretta
4th April 2006, 09:15 AM
anyways is saram the same as veshti?
Um....maybe its another name for veshti? Altho not really sure.....maybe sumone else cud confirm! :P :)
First time I got to know tat name (saram) was in the old hub wher sumone mentioned it in a thread on tamil culture I rem.......:)

Anything with a shirt on is great :lol:
Yup, its poss' to wear even Sarees w. shirts (seriously!)......:)
As for me, wen in Veshti/lungi, I usually wear them w/ no shirt on, ie. in vest only.....except wen sumone shows up or wen I hav to step outside the house (within the bldg.).....

selvakumar
4th April 2006, 09:30 AM
It has been quite some time since we have had some amusement in the Hub. Guess this thread will fill the void.

After the debate on which way should the toilet paper roll (face up or face down - believe me there are webstes devoted to this "problem") lungi or shorts seem to be the most pressing issue now.

I used to wear lungi from the time I was 17/18. Guess I wanted to feel grown up.

I started using shorts when turned 35. Guess I want to feel young again.

I know what you will wear for feeing like an infant :roll:

---------------

A thread for Lungi? :roll: I hope people won't go further :oops: :oops:

P_R
4th April 2006, 09:56 AM
Hmm.....really? :? I never felt tat way in cotton veshtis, unless u mean 'mal' veshtis? They're longer (I think double the length) than the 'normal' veshti......I never wear those, except for occasions wher I've had to wear silk ones, mal refers to the material not to the length. The longer version is the 8 muzham vEshti worn in double. That is a nuisance.

The crucial difference between the lungi and vEshti design, as I mentioned earlier is the stitched end of the lungi. This convert it into a complete tube to slip into relieving one of the being constantly aware of ...what shall I say....wadrobe malfunction.

Btw, PR, I find u 2 seem to like certain old things despite being from the new gen......u said u even hav an old chetak....! :)
Glad to see sum like-minded 'odd-ones-out' over here! :lol: :-) I am actually pretty quick to throw things away, but I have an attachment some retro stuff. My father had a 70s style shirt with long collars and slim-fit. It was older than me and I wore it till it gave way a couple of years back (let us just say the slim fit part had something to do with the wearing out :-( )

pavalamani pragasam
4th April 2006, 11:55 AM
Second confession about 'thoppai'?

P_R
4th April 2006, 01:17 PM
Second confession about 'thoppai'? :( :)
Has there been one before ?

Lambretta
4th April 2006, 02:12 PM
I am actually pretty quick to throw things away, but I have an attachment some retro stuff. My father had a 70s style shirt with long collars and slim-fit. It was older than me and I wore it till it gave way a couple of years back (let us just say the slim fit part had something to do with the wearing out :-( )
Yup, even I used to wear a few of those shirts tat my father had wen I was in +2...even tho again, they wer a bit too big for me....:)
One of them was a polyester or sum synthetic material......I still hav 2 of them left but I wear them only at home as they hav a tear here & there! :oops: :(

Has there been one before ?
Yup, from urs truly I'm afraid! :( :oops:
Lesse if I can get to reduce it......!

pavalamani pragasam
4th April 2006, 02:55 PM
:lol:

Anoushka
4th April 2006, 03:10 PM
Q: I've heard my grandpa use the term "saaram" as well, though I can't remember now if he meant veshti or lungi! I'll ask my parents the next time I call them and confirm :)

Fire111999
4th April 2006, 07:51 PM
very amusing topic. couldn't stop laughing since i started reading it.

well, my comments: between a lungi or a veshti, i think a lungi is more decent cos it's stitched together. but a veshti is nicer cos it's plain white. guys should wear white lungis or learn how to wear veshtis more decently. and not translucent material.

Lambretta
4th April 2006, 08:08 PM

well, my comments: between a lungi or a veshti, i think a lungi is more decent cos it's stitched together. but a veshti is nicer cos it's plain white. guys should wear white lungis or learn how to wear veshtis more decently. and not translucent material.
Sure, same thing even in case of Sarees, to be fair...ok?! :lol:
Um...wat r "white lungis" btw?? :?
Jokes apart, so far none of my veshtis wer translucent, but for one tat I jus bought here last week! I realised tat only after soaking it soon after I bought it :oops: (I recommend doing tat to brand new veshtis/lungis to take off the dye from them, else the colour will stick onto ur other clothes while washing!)
But I prefer wearing coloured ones (mostly light orange, had a light green one too wen I was at Singapore- yes I'd wear them ther too! :wink: ).....I've jus one white one tat I reserve for occasions.....I'm a volunteer at the Ramakrishna Mission here so wen ther is a spiritual retreat every month we r required to wear white shirts/veshtis....

selvakumar
4th April 2006, 08:18 PM
<dgn>
How about "SEE-THROUGH" Sarees ? :rotfl:
</dgn>

I think Veshti is more suitable for Middle aged and older people.

LuNGi is a Pakka - Local thing which you can wear to show your street -fight skills by rolling it till your / or above knee Level. :D :lol:

Fire111999
4th April 2006, 08:18 PM

Sure, same thing even in case of Sarees, to be fair...ok?! :lol:
Um...wat r "white lungis" btw?? :?
Jokes apart, so far none of my veshtis wer translucent, but for one tat I jus bought here last week! I realised tat only after soaking it soon after I bought it :oops: (I recommend doing tat to brand new veshtis/lungis to take off the dye from them, else the colour will stick onto ur other clothes while washing!)
But I prefer wearing coloured ones (mostly light orange, had a light green one too wen I was at Singapore- yes I'd wear them ther too! :wink: ).....I've jus one white one tat I reserve for occasions.....I'm a volunteer at the Ramakrishna Mission here so wen ther is a spiritual retreat every month we r required to wear white shirts/veshtis....

but even if a saree is translucent, girls wear blouse and ulpavadai.
and usually since the saree is bunched up together (as it should be if it is translucent), it would not appear translucent.

and i was suggesting that the closed concept of a lungi and the nice plain whiteness of a veshti should be combined as a white lungi. or u can call it a closed veshti if you want.

and i know not all veshti material are translucent, but some are, and these should be avoided.

Lambretta
4th April 2006, 08:38 PM
but even if a saree is translucent, girls wear blouse and ulpavadai. and usually since the saree is bunched up together (as it should be if it is translucent), it would not appear translucent.
*DIGR*
Yes, I meant if they like to wear it 'spread' out (ie, covered til the left wrist) & not folded/bunched up at the front.......in wich case a translucent saree wud show the waist/belly despite the blouse etc. (& even otherwise the Saree's supposed to cover even the blouse from view).....thus wud result in attention/admiration being given to the saree for the wrong reason....! :(
Bcos personally, I feel its real beauty lies in its vibrant hues & innumerable stunning designs, not in wat it cud show beneath (directly or see-thru).....:)
/DIGR

and i was suggesting that the closed concept of a lungi and the nice plain whiteness of a veshti should be combined as a white lungi. or u can call it a closed veshti if you want.
No, I was jus confused for a minute if white veshtis r also known as white lungis...:)

Lambretta
4th April 2006, 08:43 PM
<dgn>
</dgn>
Hmm.......this jus proves my point! :roll: :evil: :banghead:

I think Veshti is more suitable for Middle aged and older people. LuNGi is a Pakka - Local thing which you can wear to show your street -fight skills by rolling it till your / or above knee Level. :D :lol:
Ada Paavi! Nee oru Tamizh naatu payyana??!! :twisted: :poke:

selvakumar
4th April 2006, 08:49 PM
I think Veshti is more suitable for Middle aged and older people. LuNGi is a Pakka - Local thing which you can wear to show your street -fight skills by rolling it till your / or above knee Level. :D :lol:
Ada Paavi! Nee oru Tamizh naatu payyana??!! :twisted: :poke:

:rotfl:

Lambretta, Ofcourse, I am a TAMIZH NAATU PAYYAN.

That's why I have expressed the genuine reason for wearing Lungi

Unlike others, who are giving many reasons. :lol:

BTW, Are you a LUNGIAN? :roll:

Lambretta
4th April 2006, 08:55 PM
Nope, as I said, I'm more of a VESHTIAN! 8-) :wink:
VESHTI VAAZHGAY! :notworthy: :lol:

Come to think of tat, even I do feel lungis wudnt tend to give a more 'decent' or 'well-groomed' look tat Veshtis can give.....wen I went to Madras last week, ther wer a couple of Tamil men in our compartment....one of them was dressed in a Lungi! Did make him look kinda awkward, as if he wer in his own bedroom at home....! :roll: :D

Fire111999
4th April 2006, 08:59 PM
totally agree with you that translucent sarees must be worn bunched up or folded up.

i'm glad we agree abt sth.

ok. back to the topic: my dad wears lungis at home, but ones with pale lines in gray or light blue. he feels insecure with a veshti. my uncle wears veshti and i keep having to look away at times when he gets up etc and this makes me uncomfortable.

if you want to wear a veshti, just make sure you are doing it decently.

Sanguine Sridhar
4th April 2006, 11:26 PM
[tscii:543a1a554f]Lungi is the most comfortable night dress for guys.I wore it when I was in my teen for around a year.But later I grew like anything where this dress became a bit short(Infact rombavey… :( ).So I switched over to Shorts/Bermuda’s / Tracks .
I don’t know to wear “Dhoti” :oops: Anyway planned to learn it before my marriage.Because I should wear Dhoti for my marriage.My brother/Cousin (both of them are at US now) struggled a lot during their marriage.They wore a belt for a safety. :lol2: [/tscii:543a1a554f]

Querida
4th April 2006, 11:43 PM
I agree SS atleast guys should learn how to wear veshti properly for weddings for not for normal wear without belt or chickening out with a churithar(is this for guys?) or suit instead :P Heck it's the bride who has to wear all the major gear :lol:

Fire111999
4th April 2006, 11:53 PM
Nope, as I said, I'm more of a VESHTIAN! 8-) :wink:
VESHTI VAAZHGAY! :notworthy: :lol:

Come to think of tat, even I do feel lungis wudnt tend to give a more 'decent' or 'well-groomed' look tat Veshtis can give.....wen I went to Madras last week, ther wer a couple of Tamil men in our compartment....one of them was dressed in a Lungi! Did make him look kinda awkward, as if he wer in his own bedroom at home....! :roll: :D

yeah, i agree that a veshti gives a more decent or well-groomed look, if it is worn decently. a lungi gives a pakka local rowdy look. though i must mention that my dad doesn't look like a rowdy when he is wearing a lungi, possibly cos he tops it off with a freshly ironed white or light blue full-sleeve shirt

Lambretta
5th April 2006, 12:16 AM
Anyway planned to learn it before my marriage.Because I should wear Dhoti for my marriage.
Really? I thot veshti is accetable in Tamil weddings barring sum communities (like mine....altho I'm hoping of talking my way out of it, see if I cud do w/ a Veshti! :P) :?

My brother/Cousin (both of them are at US now) struggled a lot during their marriage.They wore a belt for a safety. :lol2: [/tscii]
Thoppai iruntha belt-e theve illai-nu nenaikiren! :P :lol:

Cya tomoro then.....time for sum shut-eye! :wave:

Raikkonen
5th April 2006, 09:49 PM
Theres a joke in Vijay's Ghilli..

Lungi nu nenachu pavadaya edutu kattitomeda....
:roftl:

Lambretta
6th April 2006, 12:39 AM
Theres a joke in Vijay's Ghilli..

Lungi nu nenachu pavadaya edutu kattitomeda....
:roftl:
Lungi enna-nu therinjavanga pavadaiye poyi lungi-nu eppidi nenaikamudiyum?? :? :roll: :lol2:

terminator
6th April 2006, 01:27 AM
In rural sides when a boy comes to 7 or 8th standard, he begin to wear Lungi. Paiyan Valarnthuttaannu oorla irukkiravanga therinjuppanga.. :D

When he goes to Temples, functions he will wear Vestis.

After our 12th final exam, all boys and girl went to a movie. All boys were in White Vesti and White shirt. Ore getha irunthuchu.. Kastapattu ovvoruthanum veshti kattitu kizhe vilamal irukka belt(kayiru) kattittu rowsa irunthuchu..

Some girls were in saree and the rest in half sarees.

When I was in college, enga gang college functionukku white veshtila thaan varum.. Athuvum after Ajith's Attagasam.. white veshti.. gold chains and rings nu amarkkalama varuvaanga pasanga..

White Veshti and white shirt getha irukkum

Veetla Lungi comfortablea irukkum..

Raikkonen
6th April 2006, 08:21 AM
In my country they call in Kaili...

Lungi romba local word matri teriyutu...

selvakumar
6th April 2006, 08:56 AM

Do u think KaiLi is a WESTERN WORD ?

Not only in ur country, everywhere KAILI IS THE ALTERNATE WORD FOR LUNGY.

Raikkonen
6th April 2006, 08:59 AM
i dunno..
i never seen in any tamil movie, they call kaili..

great
6th April 2006, 09:02 AM

Do u think KaiLi is a WESTERN WORD ?

Not only in ur country, everywhere KAILI IS THE ALTERNATE WORD FOR LUNGY.

people here avoid usisng Kaili as they feel its local word

Lambretta
6th April 2006, 09:45 AM
After our 12th final exam, all boys and girl went to a movie. All boys were in White Vesti and White shirt. Ore getha irunthuchu.. Kastapattu ovvoruthanum veshti kattitu kizhe vilamal irukka belt(kayiru) kattittu rowsa irunthuchu..

Some girls were in saree and the rest in half sarees....
Wow! Tats impressive! :D
Not only the gals but even the guys in ur town still like to dress traditionally! WondrafuL I say! :thumbsup:

Braandan
6th April 2006, 10:29 AM
Though I love to wear Lungi at home, it is not possible if you are living in places where there are cold winters (North India, European and North American countries). The best foriegn countries where you can loiter in lungis are the Middle east gulf countries. Jeddah, Dubai, Sharjah..,
only you must not "tie it up above the knee" (madichu kattudal).. or the local "Muttawah" (religious police) will be after you!

Raikkonen
6th April 2006, 10:41 AM
Ya..
Vadivelu will wear that kind of dress...

Why ah all Lungis' design are same?
Same chequered ones..

Lambretta
6th April 2006, 11:04 AM
Though I love to wear Lungi at home, it is not possible if you are living in places where there are cold winters (North India, European and North American countries). The best foriegn countries where you can loiter in lungis are the Middle east gulf countries. Jeddah, Dubai, Sharjah..
Wot 'bout Ostrylia, mite?? :wink: :D
Oi thot its hot out their too.....?

Lambretta
6th April 2006, 11:06 AM
Ya..
Vadivelu will wear that kind of dress...

Why ah all Lungis' design are same?
Same chequered ones..
Um..nope, not all......altho checkered ones r the most common, I've seen many w/ dots & vivid pattern designs (my father had one in the '70s!) available here even now.....:)

Raikkonen
6th April 2006, 11:11 AM
Oh really?
My granpa only wears the chequered ones...
Hehe

NOV
6th April 2006, 12:18 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lungi

Raikkonen
6th April 2006, 12:28 PM
Oh encyclopedia varaikkum pocha?

dev
6th April 2006, 12:35 PM
Kerala is famous for it's colourful floral lungis... ;) :)) But I feel soft coloured chequered ones look pretty nicer than the others...

Raikkonen
6th April 2006, 01:24 PM
Vikram wears something like Lungi in Mazaa, is that Lungi?

NOV
6th April 2006, 02:07 PM
siva, kailee is the thamizh name for lungi. I am sure you are familiar with the word kailee.

http://www.textileagent.in/images/lungi_ph2.jpg

swathy
6th April 2006, 02:07 PM
<dgn>
</dgn>

I think Veshti is more suitable for Middle aged and older people.

LuNGi is a Pakka - Local thing which you can wear to show your street -fight skills by rolling it till your / or above knee Level. :D :lol:

ivaru periya arnold anna paiyen

hey enna kaluthu niraya chain pottu muraicha bayandhiduvomma

hi
6th April 2006, 02:10 PM
sad.. that now-a-days every few youngsters wear LUNGI... :P

if i am not wrong.. in the movie... "sathileelavathy" even heera.. wore a lungi :roll:

i prefer my future..hubby to wear vesti.. but not lungi :)

NOV
6th April 2006, 02:25 PM
i prefer my future..hubby to wear vesti.. but not lungi :)rendum seri varaadhu. irukkara heightukku bermudas thaan porundhum.... you dont want any wardrobe malfunction do you?

great
6th April 2006, 04:24 PM
i prefer my future..hubby to wear vesti.. but not lungi :)rendum seri varaadhu. irukkara heightukku bermudas thaan porundhum.... you dont want any wardrobe malfunction do you?

:rotfl: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Anjali :oops: :oops: :oops: :roll:

selvakumar
6th April 2006, 04:42 PM

Thoda SoLLitaaNGa KARUTHU KAAVERI :lol:

NeeNGa Ida Post PannuNaThae Payathula Thaan Enakku theriyum :lol:

swathy
6th April 2006, 05:06 PM

Thoda SoLLitaaNGa KARUTHU KAAVERI :lol:

NeeNGa Ida Post PannuNaThae Payathula Thaan Enakku theriyum :lol:

bayama enakka

Lambretta
6th April 2006, 09:07 PM
Hi garu,
Since u'd blessed me once to get a homely wife, I repay the gesture & bless u tat u get a homely husband to fufill ur preference (altho most likely from India as I dont rem. coming across even 1 Desi youth in Singapore wearing veshti or lungi- apart from me!- wen I was ther! :D)

hi
7th April 2006, 07:59 AM
Hi garu,
Since u'd blessed me once to get a homely wife, I repay the gesture & bless u tat u get a homely husband to fufill ur preference (altho most likely from India as I dont rem. coming across even 1 Desi youth in Singapore wearing veshti or lungi- apart from me!- wen I was ther! :D)

Thanx Lambretta :D

suprised :o that guys wore lungi or vesti 8-)

Sandeep
7th April 2006, 08:08 AM
I wear lungi at home when in India. Its not only comfortable but also stains are not obviuos. I dont like the look of a Lungi but the fact is, it is comfortable.

Outside home (in India) I wear Double Mundu (double layered dhothi with light cream colour- typical kerala style).

Here in Singapore for Onam festical we all wore Double Mundu and graciuosly received a lot of amused stairs.

With, exceptions on special occasions, I dont support traditional dressing in foreign land.

hi
7th April 2006, 08:18 AM
My cousin.. feel awkward towards wearing Lungi / dhoti...

reason he gave is that... if any of his friends find him in this attire.. they will make fun of him "Endha kalathulae da irukae nee" :roll:

Raikkonen
7th April 2006, 08:35 AM
Intersting..

Must buy one lungi aka Kaili soon

Lambretta
7th April 2006, 12:17 PM
With, exceptions on special occasions, I dont support traditional dressing in foreign land.
Well, Sandeep, I dont see nething wrong if we do.....as long as its suitable for the climatic conditions or routine of life there....:)
Its not like we expect foreginers to stop wearing their own outfits wen they r in India (yes I've seen Western women living here in Indian dresses but i'm sure tats purely out of ther own choice) w/ the exceptions of shorter revealing outfits....
Tamil men (from India) in Veshti/lungis used to be very common in Singapore until a decade ago.....even the Malay men used to wear only Sarongs there.....
I used to wear veshtis even wen in Singapore, even wen I was intially staying in a students' hostel for a year, w/ foreign (mostly China) as well as Indian students there......but ironically, more than the others, it wer the Indian guys & gals who used to give me weird (or even dirty!) looks wen they'd see me around! Sum of the girls (one of whom was from Chennai I rem.) wud turn their heads away wen they saw me passing by! :roll: :evil:
Ther was jus one guy from Kerala who'd wear lungis.....he was relatively friendly w/ me but we met very less as he used to stay in another hostel bldg. opp. mine.....the hostel consisted of 2 bldgs.

terminator
7th April 2006, 05:28 PM
Tamil men (from India) in Veshti/lungis used to be very common in Singapore until a decade ago.....even the Malay men used to wear only Sarongs there.....
I used to wear veshtis even wen in Singapore, even wen I was intially staying in a students' hostel for a year, w/ foreign (mostly China) as well as Indian students there.

:clap: Lamby

.....but ironically, more than the others, it wer the Indian guys & gals who used to give me weird (or even dirty!) looks wen they'd see me around! Sum of the girls (one of whom was from Chennai I rem.) wud turn their heads away wen they saw me passing by! :roll: :evil:

:hammer: them

Lambretta
7th April 2006, 05:35 PM
Tks Termi! :D

Fire111999
7th April 2006, 05:43 PM
may be they felt you were being out of place. i mean, you would stare if someone wore a veshti at a business meeting, right? they might have thought that a veshti was not appropriate for that place.

but it's good to hear that you did anyway.

Lambretta
7th April 2006, 05:51 PM
may be they felt you were being out of place. i mean, you would stare if someone wore a veshti at a business meeting, right?
Um, wat abt P Chidambaram?? :wink:
But then, this was no business place where formal dressing is required....was within our hostel, so its like being at home, rite?
I never wore it to college/formal places of course....

but it's good to hear that you did anyway.
Tks! 'glad to receive more encouragement in this! :)

bingleguy
7th April 2006, 05:54 PM
how can veshti n lungi be the same :roll:

terminator
7th April 2006, 06:00 PM
Both are different

Vesthi _ Formal

Lungi _ Casual

Lambretta
7th April 2006, 06:13 PM
Veshti I guess can be worn even casually- at home..but lungi cannot be worn formally of course! :)

Fire111999
7th April 2006, 06:25 PM
Veshti I guess can be worn even casually- at home..but lungi cannot be worn formally of course! :)

oh pls no. that would be quite unbearable!

selvakumar
7th April 2006, 06:30 PM
but ironically, more than the others, it wer the Indian guys & gals who used to give me weird (or even dirty!) looks wen they'd see me around! Sum of the girls (one of whom was from Chennai I rem.) wud turn their heads away wen they saw me passing by! :roll: :evil:

Now.. I got the true picture of why you prefer transparent Veshti :P over KAILI :lol:

Lambretta machan, Seems many have hurt you with their brain working still in the usual way :lol:

(just kidding)

ssanjinika
7th April 2006, 06:45 PM
Lamby I agree that there was no reason for people to give u dirty looks when u wore a lungi..but then personally I feel that a veshi is much more dignified than a lungi.It just looks better :P.
Did you know that brahmins generally dont usually wear a lungi(have no clue why though)?My grandad never wore one till the day he died.My dad and my uncles on the other hand prefered to wear a lungi and used to argue that it was much more comfortable :).

selvakumar
7th April 2006, 06:51 PM
Lambretta,
Do you know many YOUTH prefer LUNGI over VESHTI?

If u continue to wear VESHTI, people (most importantly Pretty GirLs) will avoid you (thinking that you are a middle aged person) :lol:

My suggestion : Settle with Sorts (to attract others :wink: ) if u dont' like Lungi :lol:

SS,
Many great people are also wearing Veshti. LAMBRETTA had already become the greatest in that angle

Lambretta
7th April 2006, 08:51 PM
Lamby I agree that there was no reason for people to give u dirty looks when u wore a lungi..but then personally I feel that a veshi is much more dignified than a lungi.It just looks better :P.
Ayyo SS! I donno y sum o u guys r talkin abt LUNGI! :shock: :roll:
I said plainly I wore VESHTI then...read my post again, wher I mentioned it!
Infact I wasnt habituated to wearing lungis (yet) back then........hav begun to wear them only for the last 1 yr after returning home! Jus thot of trying them out of curiousity! :)

Did you know that brahmins generally dont usually wear a lungi(have no clue why though)?
Yes I do.......I think they didnt usually wear veshti either, except at home......more in dhoti actually (wich I can never successfully wear I guess!).....my grandpa was a headmaster here & he always wore dhoti at work (w/ a turban as well!) & during festivals but at home he always wore veshtis......white w/ colour border.....I rem. I used to note wat colour border he wud wear everyday & get excited wen he wore a maroon or blue bordered one......:D

My grandad never wore one till the day he died.My dad and my uncles on the other hand prefered to wear a lungi and used to argue that it was much more comfortable :).
Hmm.......did they continue wearing them even after they grew older? My dad too used to wear lungis when he was younger.......we hav many photos from the '70s (:wink:) in our albums wher he's seen in lungis only (w/ various designs) & not veshtis.........he began wearing veshtis only after he was like 50......

Fire111999
7th April 2006, 08:52 PM
Lambretta,

If u continue to wear VESHTI, people (most importantly Pretty GirLs) will avoid you (thinking that you are a middle aged person) :lol:

My suggestion : Settle with Sorts (to attract others :wink: ) if u dont' like Lungi :lol:

SS,
Many great people are also wearing Veshti. LAMBRETTA had already become the greatest in that angle

i don't think so. if u wear a lungi, you'll prob look like a pakka local rowdy. do learn to wear a non-transcluent veshti decently, if it's a choice between a lungi and a veshti

Lambretta
7th April 2006, 09:00 PM
Lambretta,
Well, tks for ur advice macha.....but as I said, I dont feel more comfy in nething else around my waist now so NO QSN. of giving it up for girls or NEONE! Period.
I wear BOTH veshti & lungi now, so no probs.....as for girls thnkin tat way, well, atleast tat'll help me stay away from such girls then.....infact if they r traditional AND decent (wich is the kind of girl I want neways), I bet they'd much prefer a guy in veshti to shorts (wich shows our not-so-pretty legs! :P) & besides, I (& even they may) think it fair for guys to wear veshtis when ther r girls who still wear Sarees! :wink:

And Fire, tks for ur advice too, but as I said, I HAV learnt how to wear a veshti pretty well & yes I DO wear NON-translucent ones (as I am right now....'cant hav u see me of course!), the one I recently bought jus happened to be an exception!
'hope u guys got tat clear.......! :roll:

aiwa
8th April 2006, 04:56 PM
ok i just read the topic name ..LOL...
dunt have the time to read everything ...

ok so whats the big importance about lungi .

it is very unsafe according to me .It can slip off anytime ....

anyway it is guy's topic so i am outtie ...

but i think guys look more relaxed in shorts or pajamas than lungi ...

Sanguine Sridhar
8th April 2006, 05:41 PM
Check out!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lungi

Fire111999
8th April 2006, 05:48 PM
that site has been posted before actually.
wikipedia does have almost everything under the sky!

Fire111999
9th April 2006, 11:40 AM
ok. this is totally not relevant. but i just felt like posting it here.

i love the reply poem!

try find a poem for a lungi or a veshti.

BURN THIS SARI

Burn this sari.
When I see this end
Of the sari on my shoulder..
I think of chastity a log
Hung from my neck.

It does not let me stand up straight
It presses my chest with its hands
bows me down,
teaches me shame
and whirls around me
a certain bird like confusion

It hypnotizes me telling You
You are a woman
Makes me forget I am human
It covers both my shoulders
with its own hands and flutters
announcing "See, see, this woman, she is chaste"

I feel like screaming "No, No I am not"
But my throat does not open
I am defeated by this sari
It throws me down like a whirl wind.

It is blame generations have laid on me.
The unseen patriarchal hand
This sari is the white shroud on the corpse
That is me in this culture of loot and plunder

If I've to stop being the walking dead
I've to burn this sari first
Just burn this sari.

- Jayaprabha

But the defenders of the sari are quick to add their rejoinder:

SAVE THIS SARI

Oh my beautiful sari
I love you much to tell you free
You enlighten the feminism in me
For which I should thank you much
For I am a woman first
The birth I consider the best.

When I see this end of the sari
I think of chastity enhanced by its
Long free flow.

It helps me cover my head from sun
It solaces me by wiping my tears
It straightens me to stand among the mass

And because of that it stands for generations.

If I've to stop being the walking dead
First accept womanhood is superior
Why to burn a sari?
Burn your slavery thoughts!
I need not change into a man
To become superior
And thus declaring him superior.

- S. Santha Devi.

pavalamani pragasam
9th April 2006, 12:03 PM
The poem against sari: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
The poem for sari: :D :D :D Could have been better!

Where is our womankind heading??? :? :shock: :cry:

Lambretta
9th April 2006, 12:13 PM
Perhaps this thread topic cud be changed into importance of lungi & Sari, to be fair! :lol:
Yea, I love the reply poem too & side Santha Devi :clap: :thumbsup: 8-)
Altho not tat I'm one who thinks every woman MUST wear a Sari, nor do I side w. the statements (in both the poems) tat Sari stands as the sole symbol for chastity (esp. tat nowadays ppl. call it as a sexy dress! :() I kinda felt the 1st poem by Jayaprabha too stinging to read! But I guess tats me...! :oops: :x
Cudnt help commenting on these lines from the 2 poems tho:

"It hypnotizes me telling You
You are a woman
Makes me forget I am human"

Um...well, women R humans....! :? :D

"I need not change into a man
To become superior
And thus declaring him superior."

Hmm....now I've had this thot too for quite sum time but it branches out into 2- if a girl/woman decides to dress 'like a man' bcos of convenience in those outfits or circumstances, nothing wrong in it.....but if a girl/woman who prefer a typical men's outfit to women's bcos she wishes to oppose the superiority of men & be noticed for her individuality, wudnt tat look self-contradictory, like she considers men's outfits better than women's, thus having her feminine individuality downplayed? In wich case I guess the Saree really stands out! :D
So long as sumone likes to wear them, I dont see y she shud be looked down upon, nor do I see y sumone who doesnt wear them shud be thot of as 'modern' or 'superior'!
But wat I hate even more is the fact tat many ppl. (foreigners as well as Indians!) have been lately branding the Saree as a 'sexy' outfit, wich I think is far more insulting than not being interested to wear it! :x :(

pavalamani pragasam
9th April 2006, 12:22 PM
"But wat I hate even more is the fact tat many ppl. (foreigners as well as Indians!) have been lately branding the Saree as a 'sexy' outfit, wich I think is far more insulting than not being interested to wear it! "

We have to thank Bollywood & Kollywood for that!!!

Lambretta
9th April 2006, 12:28 PM
The poem against sari: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
The poem for sari: :D :D :D Could have been better!

Where is our womankind heading??? :? :shock: :cry:
PP ma'm,
I'm reminded of an incident tat I herd from this friend of mine while in Singapore 2 yrs ago.....she jus came from Calcutta then & joined our institute.....she was initially staying in a girls' hostel w/ a roomate from India.....so hap'd my friend once wore a Saree bcos she & her roomie wer to visit 'Little India' tat day.....now she wore it for tat day only......still, her roomie (who claimed tat she never even touched Salwars/Chudidaars, leave alone Saree) began to make fun of her openly, calling her old-fashioned & kept calling her 'Aunty' for the rest of the day! :evil:
This seemed to've affected my friend deeply, as she refrained from wearing a Saree again after tat day! Even long after she moved away from tat hostel & her roomie hap'd to hav gone back as well......!
I've even herd of a worse incident in a college in India wher a girl used to go wearing Sarees & even all the other girls wud make fun of her......one day it so hap'd tat one of the boys who used to tease her set fire to the end of the munthani (pallu) & she had to take off the whole Sari, much to her embarrasment! :shock: :evil:

Lambretta
9th April 2006, 12:31 PM
"But wat I hate even more is the fact tat many ppl. (foreigners as well as Indians!) have been lately branding the Saree as a 'sexy' outfit, wich I think is far more insulting than not being interested to wear it! "

We have to thank Bollywood & Kollywood for that!!!
Yes, looks like the Saree's now threatened w/ a double-edged sword, being labelled as thus on one hand & being ridiculed as 'oppressive' & 'anti-modern' otoh! :( :oops:

Fire111999
9th April 2006, 12:33 PM
But wat I hate even more is the fact tat many ppl. (foreigners as well as Indians!) have been lately branding the Saree as a 'sexy' outfit, wich I think is far more insulting than not being interested to wear it!

true. a saree need not be sexy. though it can reflect the attitude and mood of the lady wearing it depending on how and what sort of saree she is wearing. a saree can be very motherly as well.

Raikkonen
9th April 2006, 12:35 PM
Saree - Motherly ah?
Ithu oru news enakku...

Fire111999
9th April 2006, 12:35 PM
anna, i like these parts of the peom as well:

Oh my beautiful sari
For I am a woman first

Fire111999
9th April 2006, 12:36 PM
Saree - Motherly ah?
Ithu oru news enakku...

why? unga amma saree kattum pothu ungalukku enna thonuthu. amman (i.e goddess) saree kattirkum pothu. ammanuthane thonuthu?

Raikkonen
9th April 2006, 12:37 PM
Yengamma saree katti naan pattatu illaye...

Fire111999
9th April 2006, 12:41 PM

oh. appa sari. just take my word for it then.

Lambretta
9th April 2006, 12:47 PM
true. a saree need not be sexy. though it can reflect the attitude and mood of the lady wearing it depending on how and what sort of saree she is wearing.
Exactly! :D

anna, i like these parts of the peom as well:
Oh my beautiful sari
For I am a woman first
Yup, u r very right in liking these lines! To be honest, even tho a Saree cudnt directly relate to me, reading these lines made me brim w/ a sort of pride, almost brought tears out of me! :oops:
Wud be well & good if I got a wife who thinks the same I guess! IF, tat is......! :|

Lambretta
9th April 2006, 12:49 PM
:shock: Atthenti NTR garu, u mean not even on occasions like Ugadhi?? :)

Fire111999
9th April 2006, 12:52 PM
Yup, u r very right in liking these lines! To be honest, even tho a Saree cudnt directly relate to me, reading these lines made me brim w/ a sort of pride, almost brought tears out of me! :oops:
Wud be well & good if I got a wife who thinks the same I guess! IF, tat is......! :|

very nice to hear that.

anna, neengale kettu vangigra mathiri irukku. naan onnum sollalapa!

Raikkonen
9th April 2006, 01:42 PM
only my Patti wears that occasionally..

aiwa
9th April 2006, 01:47 PM
it is interesting to see men take active interest in sari

great
9th April 2006, 02:12 PM

whats wrong with that , some guys would be more experienced in selecting sari :lol: :lol: :lol:

Raikkonen
9th April 2006, 02:14 PM

Guys always careful about future..

Fire111999
9th April 2006, 02:15 PM

whats wrong with that , some guys would be more experienced in selecting sari :lol: :lol: :lol:

i don't know what u are hinting at, but sometimes guys have better taste than some girls. though i must say, i've got excellent taste.

anyway, this is not relevant. maybe we should go back to talking abt lungis.

Fire111999
9th April 2006, 02:16 PM

ithukkenna artham?

Lambretta
9th April 2006, 02:21 PM
:lol: Well, as a matter of fact, lots of men do......altho um, the reason/s do vary among them.....! :oops:
Also is interesting to see women take active interest in veshti/lungi here! :D

Fire111999
9th April 2006, 02:25 PM
:lol: Well, as a matter of fact, lots of men do......altho um, the reason/s do vary among them.....! :oops:
Also is interesting to see women take active interest in veshti/lungi here! :D

we also have eyes and opinions you know! :)

Raikkonen
9th April 2006, 02:25 PM
20 vayasula lungi kattuna asingama irukkum
aana 70 vayasule saari kattunalaum alaga irukkum..

That was my point...

Lambretta
9th April 2006, 02:31 PM
we also have eyes and opinions you know! :)
Yup, same here (hence our interest in sari!) :)

Fire111999
9th April 2006, 02:33 PM

That was my point...

is the above the explanation for the below comment?

enakku innum kuluppama irukku.

i agree that even at 70 a saree is pretty. and ok, you might be for a veshti rather than a lungi and might feel that a lungi doesn't look nice, but what has that got to do with men being careful abt the future? entha vayasulayum guys can't wear a saree (though some pple might beg to differ)

Lambretta
9th April 2006, 02:34 PM

That was my point...
Hmm....so does this imply y men didnt mind giving up wearing veshti/lungi long b4?! :lol:

Raikkonen
9th April 2006, 02:37 PM
Naanum summa etho adichivuttuten..
Ippa problem ah irukku...

I wanted to say that, if guys fought with wife or amma or akka or patti..
One way to please them is by buying saaree..

Fire111999
9th April 2006, 02:37 PM

That was my point...
Hmm....so does this imply y men didnt mind giving up wearing veshti/lungi long b4?! :lol:

i think this might have been cos of convenience? but as i have no experience wearing a lungi or a veshti, i can't really make an informed comment.

Lambretta
9th April 2006, 02:38 PM

Hmm.....yea but today it may not work out in case of wife or akka..... :)

Fire111999
9th April 2006, 02:40 PM

ok ok. but intha thangachikku saree pothathu. some kind of trinket, preferably with diamond! :lol:

Lambretta
9th April 2006, 02:40 PM
i think this might have been cos of convenience? but as i have no experience wearing a lungi or a veshti, i can't really make an informed comment.
Hmm....convenience in the sense, they dont hav pockets for thing.....& I doubt if ne guy cud go around w/ a handbag like ladies, who, on the other hand, carry all their stuff in one w/out fail even if they wear pants/outfits w/ pockets in them...:)

Fire111999
9th April 2006, 02:41 PM

Hmm.....yea but today it may not work out in case of wife or akka..... :)

why not? u think girls these days don't wear saree? i beg to differ!

Fire111999
9th April 2006, 02:42 PM
Hmm....convenience in the sense, they dont hav pockets for thing.....& I doubt if ne guy cud go around w/ a handbag like ladies, who, on the other hand, carry all their stuff in one w/out fail even if they wear pants/outfits w/ pockets in them...:)

very true. girls just don't keep stuff in pockets! :)

Lambretta
9th April 2006, 02:54 PM
Ok ok.....I can conclude tat u sure like to......& I didnt mean to say ALL girls dont (wich is y I said "may" :)) but seriously, how many girls/or even married women below 30 (esp. in the cities) wear sarees nowadays as regular/daily wear, comp'd to say, 2-3 decades ago wher it cud be understood tat they wud once they crossed 20?
Yea, ther may be still many of them who wear them during occasions (esp. in the south), but...wat I mean to say is ther r fewer girls today who'll hav saree as the 1st choice in their mind/wardrobe...!

Fire111999
9th April 2006, 02:57 PM
Ok ok.....I can conclude tat u sure like to......& I didnt mean to say ALL girls dont (wich is y I said "may" :)) but seriously, how many girls/or even married women below 30 (esp. in the cities) wear sarees nowadays as regular/daily wear, comp'd to say, 2-3 decades ago wher it cud be understood tat they wud once they crossed 20?
Yea, ther may be still many of them who wear them during occasions (esp. in the south), but...wat I mean to say is ther r fewer girls today who'll hav saree as the 1st choice in their mind/wardrobe...!

yeah, i guess it's not so convenient to wear a saree. i myself have only worn a saree twice so far. but i love wearing it.

i only started wearing sometime last year. and if i were in india, i might wear it more often

great
9th April 2006, 03:01 PM
:? :? :? so much doubt about sari

Fire111999
9th April 2006, 03:02 PM
:? :? :? so much doubt about sari

what do u mean?[/b]

great
9th April 2006, 03:06 PM
oops!!!!! i meant so much debate over sari :)

Lambretta
9th April 2006, 03:08 PM
yeah, i guess it's not so convenient to wear a saree. i myself have only worn a saree twice so far. but i love wearing it.
Well, I dont think I cud be practically more erudite in this, but I personally think the only way it can feel convenient is if its worn regularly.....I guess tats how even working women hav managed wearing it always... :)
My mother told me tat she didnt like it it at all the first few times she wore it (she had to as a rule at college).....took her 6 months or so to get used to it & then she didnt like wearing ne other outfit for a long time! :)
I felt the same way w/ Veshti initially......! :)

Fire111999
9th April 2006, 03:08 PM
oops!!!!! i meant so much debate over sari :)

yes. just a friendly exchange of opinions.

Fire111999
9th April 2006, 03:10 PM
Well, I dont think I cud be practically more erudite in this, but I personally think the only way it can feel convenient is if its worn regularly.....I guess tats how even working women hav managed wearing it always... :)
My mother told me tat she didnt like it it at all the first few times she wore it (she had to as a rule at college).....took her 6 months or so to get used to it & then she didnt like wearing ne other outfit for a long time! :)
I felt the same way w/ Veshti initially......! :)

hmm........ perhaps that is so. but i have very little occasion to wear a sari. might be more possible in india.

Raikkonen
9th April 2006, 03:13 PM
Inga saree kattikittu office ku pona, allam oru mathirya papanga

Fire111999
9th April 2006, 03:15 PM

same here, can u imagine if i were to wear a saree to lectures!

Lambretta
9th April 2006, 03:18 PM
Yaen, I thot in Malaysia ppl. still dress ethnically....or r the Malays the only ones (they do wear sarongs dont they?) :?

Lambretta
9th April 2006, 03:21 PM
Btw fire, wher do u live, is it in the US?
I thot Saree is becoming more acceptable over ther......like, even yank women like to wear it formally or otherwise......?

Fire111999
9th April 2006, 03:21 PM
Yaen, I thot in Malaysia ppl. still dress ethnically....or r the Malays the only ones (they do wear sarongs dont they?) :?

yeah, shouldn't be too bad in malaysia, right?

Fire111999
9th April 2006, 03:23 PM
I thot Saree is becoming more acceptable over ther......like, even yank women like to wear it formally or otherwise......?

no, in the UK.

virtually impossible for me to wear it to lectures. and for some engineering practicals, like my recent structural design project, not safe as well (sarees and electric drills don't go well together)

great
9th April 2006, 03:23 PM

even european people those who are coming to india , they started buying sari :lol:

Fire111999
9th April 2006, 03:26 PM
also, in the winter, it'd be too cold. cos the wind causes more chilly feel that the temperature itself

Lambretta
9th April 2006, 03:38 PM
no, in the UK.
virtually impossible for me to wear it to lectures. and for some engineering practicals, like my recent structural design project, not safe as well (sarees and electric drills don't go well together)
Hmm....yea u do hav a point...
Speaking of the UK, u may be knowing abt this BBC newsreader Sharuna Sagar who wore a Saree on one of her news presentations, following wich the saree seems to've got a boost over ther as well:

http://www.chennaionline.com/musicnew/Channels/04bbc.asp

Well, maybe it was after this tat Cherie Blair began to like them as well! :)
I hope now u wudnt face problems atleast while walking across the street in sarees, unlike few decades ago wher even tat was impossible in the UK!

even european people those who are coming to india , they started buying sari
Yup tats true.....I once came across this Yahoo group on Sarees started by a European guy! When I asked him how come westerners r now so interested in Sarees, he replied tat they find Sarees bringin abt a colourful, vibrant atmosphere comp'd to streets in Europe wher everyone is dressed in plain suits! :D

Lambretta
9th April 2006, 03:40 PM
also, in the winter, it'd be too cold. cos the wind causes more chilly feel that the temperature itself
Yup tats rite too....not at all meant for chilly weather, esp. when it snows!

Fire111999
9th April 2006, 03:40 PM
no, in the UK.
Hmm....yea u do hav a point...
Speaking of the UK, u may be knowing abt this BBC newsreader Sharuna Sagar who wore a Saree on one of her news presentations, following wich the saree seems to've got a boost over ther as well:

http://www.chennaionline.com/musicnew/Channels/04bbc.asp

Well, maybe it was after this tat Cherie Blair began to like them as well! :)
I hope now u wudnt face problems atleast while walking across the street in sarees, unlike few decades ago wher even tat was impossible in the UK!

even european people those who are coming to india , they started buying sari
Yup tats true.....I once came across this Yahoo group on Sarees started by a European guy! When I asked him how come westerners r now so interested in Sarees, he replied tat they find Sarees bringin abt a colourful, vibrant atmosphere comp'd to streets in Europe wher everyone is dressed in plain suits! :D

yeah, i also saw that there was one british council booklet which has aish on the cover page wearing a bright yellow and red saree i think.

great
9th April 2006, 03:45 PM
people look cute in sarees :P than western wear

Fire111999
9th April 2006, 03:50 PM

maybe. but depends really. not always true.

Raikkonen
9th April 2006, 05:27 PM
-deleted for double posting-

Raikkonen
9th April 2006, 05:27 PM
My mom buys lot of sarees every year in Rajamundhry..
But she never wears that.. :lol:

Lamby, ya..
Only Malay people wera tradiotionaly, the dress is caleld Baju Kebaya or Baju Kurung..

Lambretta
9th April 2006, 06:08 PM
Um.....gr8, whom exactly do u mean by ppl.?? :?
Well, more than cute I'd say graceful (atleast the dress looks so whether the wearer does or not!) :)

Lambretta
9th April 2006, 06:11 PM
My mom buys lot of sarees every year in Rajamundhry..
But she never wears that.. :lol:
Hmm......yenthuko mari.....:?

Only Malay people wera tradiotionaly, the dress is caleld Baju Kebaya or Baju Kurung..
Aah yes, those r the names of Malay outfits.....tks for reminding me! :)

Fire111999
9th April 2006, 06:22 PM
Um.....gr8, whom exactly do u mean by ppl.?? :?
Well, more than cute I'd say graceful (atleast the dress looks so whether the wearer does or not!) :)

good question!

and dev graceful. and you know, it does make the person more graceful as well. i mean, the wearer takes on a bit of this quality from the saree.

i always feel more feminine and graceful when wearing a saree.

Oh my beautiful sari

i don't know why i'm quoting from this poem. i guess cos it expresses my feelings very well.

Sanguine Sridhar
9th April 2006, 06:22 PM
Um.....gr8, whom exactly do u mean by ppl.?? :?Well, more than cute I'd say graceful (atleast the dress looks so whether the wearer does or not!) :)

:lol: Lamby! Come on you are not that innocent :wink:

Fire111999
9th April 2006, 06:25 PM
Um.....gr8, whom exactly do u mean by ppl.?? :?Well, more than cute I'd say graceful (atleast the dress looks so whether the wearer does or not!) :)

back to work, i c.

anyway, i think anna is checking if great is being purposefully vague abt that.

great
9th April 2006, 06:55 PM

:roll: :roll: :roll: Neengalam enna pesureenga :roll:

Lamby, depends on who wears the saree :P

Fire111999
9th April 2006, 07:00 PM

:roll: :roll: :roll: Neengalam enna pesureenga :roll:

Lamby, depends on who wears the saree :P

ah hm, i would like to make some sarcastic remark here. but i think i better not. anna'll start yelling at me! and i'm sure i don't want to imply anything i don't mean.

let's stop getting distracted!

great
9th April 2006, 07:04 PM
ah hm, i would like to make some sarcastic remark here. but i think i better not. anna'll start yelling at me! and i'm sure i don't want to imply anything i don't mean.

let's stop getting distracted!

which anna you are talking about :roll:

Fire111999
9th April 2006, 07:16 PM
lamby anna. but let's not dig that up.

did u read the poems on pg 6?

great
9th April 2006, 07:23 PM
Not yet !!! not in a mood to read rite now, will do sometime later :)

Alien
9th April 2006, 09:10 PM
Lungi is called Saram in Sri lanka ! .... Never heard the word lungi there ...
vEshti is vEshti 8-)
I never wore these ... Only vEshti on couple of occasions ...

swathy
9th April 2006, 09:11 PM
alien sigappu rojakkal still thane?

Sanguine Sridhar
9th April 2006, 09:16 PM
You cant digress here :twisted: If you have any details about Lungi post it here!!

Fire111999
9th April 2006, 09:18 PM
You cant digress here :twisted: If you have any details about Lungi post it here!!

why so angry? btw, we decided to discuss abt sarees as well. read the poems on pg 6.

Alien
9th April 2006, 09:19 PM
alien sigappu rojakkal still thane?yesss :P eppadi irukkiraar kamala kaachan :lol:

Sanguine Sridhar
9th April 2006, 09:20 PM
Angry?? No way Fire!! Saree thats good!! But in Sigappu Rojakkal Kamalahassan talks about any sarees?? :?

swathy
9th April 2006, 09:20 PM
alien sigappu rojakkal still thane?yesss :P eppadi irukkiraar kamala kaachan :lol:

kamalakachan eppodhume smart than :lol:

Alien
9th April 2006, 09:23 PM
Angry?? No way Fire!! Saree thats good!! But in Sigappu Rojakkal Kamalahassan talks about any sarees?? :?
he says in red sarees women look best or somthing like that :roll:

swathy
9th April 2006, 09:29 PM

Lungi - idhanai kaili endrum kooruvar.

idhu india, ilangai, malaysia , singapore pondra yeralamana naadugalil ubayoga paduthapadugiradhu

perumbalum aangale ubayogikirargal

keralavil color colorai kaanapadum

idhu thamil nattin desiya udai

sendra varudam enga officeila nadundha best surprised get up competitionil lungi katti vandha mallukku first prize kidaithadhu

indha details podhuma innum konjum venuma

My vote is for Veshti. Lungi is ok. not bad.

Shorts suits well for youngsters. but for some.

they look like sedhu escaped from paandimadam

so sridhar pls dont wear shorts :lol:

Fire111999
9th April 2006, 09:33 PM

Lungi - idhanai kaili endrum kooruvar.

idhu india, ilangai, malaysia , singapore pondra yeralamana naadugalil ubayoga paduthapadugiradhu

perumbalum aangale ubayogikirargal

keralavil color colorai kaanapadum

idhu thamil nattin desiya udai

sendra varudam enga officeila nadundha best surprised get up competitionil lungi katti vandha mallukku first prize kidaithadhu

indha details podhuma innum konjum venuma

My vote is for Veshti. Lungi is ok. not bad.

Shorts suits well for youngsters. but for some.

they look like sedhu escaped from paandimadam

so sridhar pls dont wear shorts :lol:

that was unnecessary and uncalled for!

Fire111999
9th April 2006, 09:34 PM

nvrmind abt that. like the poem?

Sanguine Sridhar
9th April 2006, 09:37 PM
Yeah good ..About sarees right!! :) .. But i like that song "Chinggu Chaa" from Porkalam..Kettu irrukeengala?

Btw... Swathy Support paatheengala 8-) Sridhar-a nerungga mudiyaadhu 8-) 8-)

Fire111999
9th April 2006, 09:42 PM
Yeah good ..About sarees right!! :) .. But i like that song "Chinggu Chaa" from Porkalam..Kettu irrukeengala?

yeah, i've heard it before. quite nice. catchy.

ok ok. athukkunnu overa poga vendam!

Sanguine Sridhar
9th April 2006, 09:47 PM
Okay Fire!! Anyother Saree song hits your mind??

Fire111999
9th April 2006, 09:51 PM

illaiye! but why are we thinking up of saree songs now?

Sanguine Sridhar
9th April 2006, 09:54 PM
Just like that Fire!! Curious! Between Girls will look like an Angel in sarees.. :D But many of the younger generation actually skips it :(

Fire111999
9th April 2006, 10:03 PM
i guess cos chudithars seem to be more convenient. and more covered.

but i love sarees! if only i have more opportunities to wear them!

Fire111999
9th April 2006, 10:03 PM
Just like that Fire!! Curious! Between Girls will look like an Angel in sarees.. :D But many of the younger generation actually skips it :(

sweet!

Lambretta
9th April 2006, 11:43 PM
sweet!
Yes, and at the same time, a bitter truth (I mean the last sentence in his post!) :(
Looking like an angel in sarees- this reminds me, I've been having this thot for quite sum time in my mind tat I wish to clarify here......as I've been so crazy abt Sarees, I'd preferred (& still do!) to marry a gal who likes, no- loves to wear them (apart from the usual homely qualities of course!), as I thot it'd be wonderful to share ur life w/ sumone who shares an interest tat u hav.....:)
But I got a lot of -ve feedback abt this from a no. of ppl.....apart from the ones who made fun of me for being 'outdated' in my outlook (:roll:), sum said I'm being too demanding, sum adviced me tat I mustnt go around looking for a bride based on such criteria & tat character is to be looked out for the most....a friend once even warned me like, "u'd never know.....wat if she may dress tat way but turn out to be a sl*t?! :shock:
Sumtimes wen I think of wat he said, I feel he may be exaggerating.......and even sounds hypocritic, cos I'm sure majority of guys inc. him wud forget these sane thots abt character etc. the moment they see an attractive girl, they'll want to marry sumone like tat by all means!
The way I've known it, in our society marriages (esp. arranged) r all based on sum criteria/expectations or the other......so in tat case, y wud it sound wrong if I wan2 marry a girl w/ the specific criteria I hav in mind? And tat too, I didnt say I wud impose it on an unwilling wife, I wud go for only sumone who genuinely, whole-heartedly shares the same interest!
And as for character, sorry if I'm wrong but my take is tat b4 marriage, seeing is believeing! I'm sure it wudnt be easy (or evn possible) to know for sure how genuine she is in character unless/until we've lived together (in this case after marriage)......
So wat do yall say? Shud I jus bet on my luck & stick to my desire? :roll: :?
I was hesitant to discuss this out in this forum b4, as I wasnt aware tat ther were so many guys as well as girls out here who admired Sarees too! :)

Lambretta
9th April 2006, 11:47 PM
lamby anna.
Oh yea, forgot to tell u- I also like the anna tag u gave me bcos it reminds me of my old abode Hyderabad, wher its common to address an older guy w/ whom u hav a brotherly feeling as anna.....:)

Fire111999
10th April 2006, 12:00 AM
sweet!
Yes, and at the same time, a bitter truth (I mean the last sentence in his post!) :(
Looking like an angel in sarees- this reminds me, I've been having this thot for quite sum time in my mind tat I wish to clarify here......as I've been so crazy abt Sarees, I'd preferred (& still do!) to marry a gal who likes, no- loves to wear them (apart from the usual homely qualities of course!), as I thot it'd be wonderful to share ur life w/ sumone who shares an interest tat u hav.....:)
But I got a lot of -ve feedback abt this from a no. of ppl.....apart from the ones who made fun of me for being 'outdated' in my outlook (:roll:), sum said I'm being too demanding, sum adviced me tat I mustnt go around looking for a bride based on such criteria & tat character is to be looked out for the most....a friend once even warned me like, "u'd never know.....wat if she may dress tat way but turn out to be a sl*t?! :shock:
Sumtimes wen I think of wat he said, I feel he may be exaggerating.......and even sounds hypocritic, cos I'm sure majority of guys inc. him wud forget these sane thots abt character etc. the moment they see an attractive girl, they'll want to marry sumone like tat by all means!
The way I've known it, in our society marriages (esp. arranged) r all based on sum criteria/expectations or the other......so in tat case, y wud it sound wrong if I wan2 marry a girl w/ the specific criteria I hav in mind? And tat too, I didnt say I wud impose it on an unwilling wife, I wud go for only sumone who genuinely, whole-heartedly shares the same interest!
And as for character, sorry if I'm wrong but my take is tat b4 marriage, seeing is believeing! I'm sure it wudnt be easy (or evn possible) to know for sure how genuine she is in character unless/until we've lived together (in this case after marriage)......
So wat do yall say? Shud I jus bet on my luck & stick to my desire? :roll: :?
I was hesitant to discuss this out in this forum b4, as I wasnt aware tat ther were so many guys as well as girls out here who admired Sarees too! :)

however much i wish to deny it, i realise that it is true that less girls wear sarees nowadays. oh, but i do so love sarees! i wish i could wear it more often. not only do i not have the opportunity to do so, my dad keeps saying i'm too young to wear a saree!

outdated! no way!

agree with you that character is quite impossible to tell. you can only tell about likes and dislikes, i guess.

lost you there :? do u want an attractive wife or one who likes sarees?

Fire111999
10th April 2006, 12:01 AM
lamby anna.
Oh yea, forgot to tell u- I also like the anna tag u gave me bcos it reminds me of my old abode Hyderabad, wher its common to address an older guy w/ whom u hav a brotherly feeling as anna.....:)

i thought it was the same all over india.

Lambretta
10th April 2006, 12:19 AM
not only do i not have the opportunity to do so, my dad keeps saying i'm too young to wear a saree!
Well, maybe he said it keeping in mind the 'common' interests/trends of ppl. of our gen.? Not tat I'd like to go by those either!
So does ur whole family live abroad btw?

you can only tell about likes and dislikes, i guess.
Yea, cud hope for a more 'honest' pic. in this regard, altho I've known of girls who r forced by their parents into accepting wat they dont otherwise like, jus to please the alliance....wich isnt fair either!

lost you there :? do u want an attractive wife or one who likes sarees?
Ok ok....nothing to hide....I do admit tat it is natural for an average man to like having an attractive wife (altho I dont nec'ly expect her to be a head-turner :)) & I'm not against tat.....
I jus gave tat as an eg. ie, to say wen most guys look at a very good-looking girl (tat too for marriage, wher ther is a possibility to spend their entire life w/ sumone like her!) they usually wud be like, totally charmed & wudnt go to the length of scrutinising her for her character or possible 'hidden' qualities...

Lambretta
10th April 2006, 12:23 AM
*DIGR

i thought it was the same all over india.
Really?! Hmm....not newhere tat I've been aware of (apart from Hyd.)....maybe spreading out, like 'da' is now used even by northies...:)

/DIGR

OK guess I'll hav to sign off for now.....midnite already! We'll resume tomorrow! :wave:

Fire111999
10th April 2006, 12:35 AM
Well, maybe he said it keeping in mind the 'common' interests/trends of ppl. of our gen.? Not tat I'd like to go by those either!
So does ur whole family live abroad btw?

no, he says that there will be plenty of time to wear a saree later. i guess he doesn't want his little girl to grow up.

and yes, abroad but not in the uk. i'm here for my studies. but we are originally from india. i did some schooling in india as well.

Ok ok....nothing to hide....I do admit tat it is natural for an average man to like having an attractive wife (altho I dont nec'ly expect her to be a head-turner ) & I'm not against tat.....
I jus gave tat as an eg. ie, to say wen most guys look at a very good-looking girl (tat too for marriage, wher ther is a possibility to spend their entire life w/ sumone like her!) they usually wud be like, totally charmed & wudnt go to the length of scrutinising her for her character or possible 'hidden' qualities...

don't worry, anna. u can get a beautiful wife who loves sarees as well! the two are not mutually exclusive!

and it's true what u say abt most guys being too besotted to care too much abt character, etc.

but that doesn't mean that all pretty girls have faults, and also different pple have different tastes.

for eg. someone i know is married to this quite pretty girl and he is so besotted with her that he doesn't care (i don't think he even notices) that she is lazy and wakes up late and doesn't cook half the time (and she doesn't have a job) and i don't think it bothers him that he has to help her with housework (cleaning up, etc) when he has to go to the office and she stays at home all the time.
he's happy being married to her despite her faults.

moral of story: there's someone out there just for you; a package of beauty, faults and all!

Fire111999
10th April 2006, 12:36 AM
bye anna!

swathy
10th April 2006, 09:34 AM

idhukku per than neramngradhu :evil:

great
10th April 2006, 10:06 AM
Fire, you doesnt seems to be new hubber :roll:

rachel
10th April 2006, 11:03 AM
:lol: :lol:

pavalamani pragasam
10th April 2006, 11:06 AM
:wink:

swathy
10th April 2006, 11:16 AM

selai kattum pennukoru oru vaasam undu

singapore selai en sevatha ponnu mela

salakku salakku selai adhai kattikittale

rachel
10th April 2006, 11:23 AM
salailla veedu kaatava :lol:

great
10th April 2006, 11:26 AM
whats happening here :o , this is LUGI :x thread :rotfl: stop spamming with ur saree discussion.If you want to discuss about Saree open a new thread :lol:

rachel
10th April 2006, 11:27 AM
ok i just read the topic name ..LOL...
dunt have the time to read everything ...

ok so whats the big importance about lungi .

it is very unsafe according to me .It can slip off anytime ....
anyway it is guy's topic so i am outtie ...

but i think guys look more relaxed in shorts or pajamas than lungi ...

i'm thinking about this scenario :rotfl:

Raikkonen
10th April 2006, 11:29 AM
Lungi song illainu nenaipa..

Lungi illa kudisai kattava senthu vasikka..
Perarasu next moviele oru song poda solren

rachel
10th April 2006, 11:32 AM

:rotfl: :rotfl:

Fire111999
10th April 2006, 11:33 AM
Fire, you doesnt seems to be new hubber :roll:

why do u say so?

Fire111999
10th April 2006, 11:35 AM

rocketboy
10th April 2006, 11:58 AM
this has got nothing to do with the topic( as if everything else is related to it)

fire what's that in your signature?

do you mean you know everything?

8-)

Fire111999
10th April 2006, 12:43 PM
this has got nothing to do with the topic( as if everything else is related to it)

fire what's that in your signature?

do you mean you know everything?

8-)

no, unless you want to be one of us!

actually i've been meaning to change it, but haven't found the time and can't think up of anything else, other than 'if you don't like my attitude, call 1800-WHO CARES!' which is worse!

would prob search the net for sth when i find time.

P_R
10th April 2006, 01:29 PM
One weekend away and this thread has gone from Lungi to Veshti to Sari to Feminism to matrimonial expectations.

I would like to take back what I said about 8-muzham vEshti. It was based on very little experience. This weekend I was in Bombay for a family function so was in 8-muzham for one full day. Took long strolls in a vEshti on AndhEri roads with no strange looks. If one worn cleverly one can get past my reservation against vEshti, that gives away too much when we attempt to sit on the floor. Curiously I felt more comfortable with the double layered vEshti than with my usual 4-muzham ones.

And as for people who miss the rowdy look that comes with a lungi, try this: wear a 8-muzham mal vEshti. Make a dabba-kattu (half fold) with the first layer. With old layer folded and one layer you look menacing enough that a soda-bottle is only a marginal addition.

All said, comfort-wise: Lungi rules.

Fire111999
10th April 2006, 01:39 PM
One weekend away and this thread has gone from Lungi to Veshti to Sari to Feminism to matrimonial expectations.

I would like to take back what I said about 8-muzham vEshti. It was based on very little experience. This weekend I was in Bombay for a family function so was in 8-muzham for one full day. Took long strolls in a vEshti on AndhEri roads with no strange looks. If one worn cleverly one can get past my reservation against vEshti, that gives away too much when we attempt to sit on the floor. Curiously I felt more comfortable with the double layered vEshti than with my usual 4-muzham ones.

And as for people who miss the rowdy look that comes with a lungi, try this: wear a 8-muzham mal vEshti. Make a dabba-kattu (half fold) with the first layer. With old layer folded and one layer you look menacing enough that a soda-bottle is only a marginal addition.

do pple actually miss the rowdy look? i thought it's cos of the rowdy look that pple actually avoid a lungi!

selvakumar
10th April 2006, 03:46 PM
SeLaYiLa VeeDu KaTTUnGA !

LunGiYa Kattikittu ADICHI NORUKKUNGA!

LUNGI - SAREE COMPARISON OVER.

SHALL WE START WITH LUNGI - SALWAR DISCUSSION OR

VESHTI - MIDI DISCUSSION :D :D :D

Fire111999
10th April 2006, 04:05 PM

Lambretta
10th April 2006, 06:21 PM
don't worry, anna. u can get a beautiful wife who loves sarees as well! the two are not mutually exclusive!
Firstly, many tks for ur reassurance, Fire! Tat is really really sweet of u, am really touched! :D
Sorry altho I did visit the hub this morning, was too busy to be able to log in & post then! :)
Beautiful yes, well & good.....but I do believe in inner beauty all the same, if not more! IMO, its even higher a virtue than intellectuality....(one reason y I'm not keen abt having sumone who's like, very high qualified etc....) :)

for eg. someone i know is married to this quite pretty girl and he is so besotted with her that he doesn't care (i don't think he even notices) that she is lazy and wakes up late and doesn't cook half the time (and she doesn't have a job) and i don't think it bothers him that he has to help her with housework (cleaning up, etc) when he has to go to the office and she stays at home all the time. he's happy being married to her despite her faults.
:shock: Hmm......now this does scare me a bit...! :?
But then, cud be an exception too of course! :lol:

moral of story: there's someone out there just for you; a package of beauty, faults and all!
Yea, I believe so too now! And nothing wrong w/ faults, except those tat r intentional....!

Raikkonen
10th April 2006, 08:32 PM
Heres one poem about Lungi

Kattam Potta Lungi....
Kuttam sonna Songi....

Iluttu kattunattan Lungi...
Korai pesuna vangiruva Vaangi...

Fire111999
10th April 2006, 11:40 PM
Beautiful yes, well & good.....but I do believe in inner beauty all the same, if not more! IMO, its even higher a virtue than intellectuality....(one reason y I'm not keen abt having sumone who's like, very high qualified etc....) :)

yes, i agree that inner beauty is really important. but personally for myself, i feel that i need someone who's more intelligent than me, cos i find that i lose a bit of the respect i have for a person if that person is not as intelligent as me. i know this doesn't reflect well on me but i can't help it :oops: . but since i know that i need to have a lot of respect as well as love for the person i am going to marry, he has to be more intelligent than me!

anyway, i think we are digressing greatly from the topic at hand! so let's stop at this.

Fire111999
10th April 2006, 11:41 PM
Heres one poem about Lungi

Kattam Potta Lungi....
Kuttam sonna Songi....

Iluttu kattunattan Lungi...
Korai pesuna vangiruva Vaangi...

ah.... i don't understand most of the song. :)

Raikkonen
11th April 2006, 08:57 AM
Athan song

Fire111999
15th April 2006, 10:17 PM
looks like there's no discussion here since the saree and jeans threads came up!

phil
16th April 2006, 07:34 AM
Bangladeshis wear lungis it seems. Any other people in other countries who wear lungis :?:
I think i like to admire the traditional dresses of all cultures (western dresses and asian costumes), i hate nylons,polyesters. I also respect lungis. Any clean dress wore in a proper manner is always admirable
We are missing a poll here.

I work with one chinese lady and i am going to ask her to dress in her traditional dress one day.
I am also planning to go in dhotis and a nice cotton kadhar shirt to my work place instead of the usual ties and formals

phil
16th April 2006, 07:25 PM

do pple actually miss the rowdy look? i thought it's cos of the rowdy look that pple actually avoid a lungi!

Lol. Then all bangladeshi's are rowdis?? aah man

crazy
16th April 2006, 07:29 PM
lungi wearing countries

india, tamil eelam, bangladesh, vietnam, burma, thailand, etc etc.................
but i dont wear lungi(b'coz iam girl, but i love lungi) i used to take my grandpas lungi and wear it. vesthi (lungi) madichu kadurathu, i like way its lookt.
but anyway i dont see many men wearing lungi in foreign countries, but my brother he wears. thats quite strange. he wears only b'coz he thinks its something manly. :lol: and he wears it in different ways. just some days ago he wore it like the africans(took the lungi around his shoulders) and for 3 days ago he wore it again in strange way and told me that ajith is wearing that way in thirupathi. so it seems like ppl get pretty freaked when they live abroad! :roll: :wink:

Fire111999
16th April 2006, 07:50 PM
:lol: oh, crazy, that's really funny!

Lambretta
16th April 2006, 07:52 PM
I work with one chinese lady and i am going to ask her to dress in her traditional dress one day.
If at all she remembers wat it is......I dint see ne chinese (from china) ladies dress up traditionally wen I was in Singapore (except on their festival days).......I'm not sure how many trad. dresses they hav but most common one is called cheong sum ('think tats how its spelt).....the only known Chinese woman in Sing. who still wears it (always) is the wife of Lee Kwan You, 1st PM of Sing....

I am also planning to go in dhotis and a nice cotton kadhar shirt to my work place instead of the usual ties and formals
I thot white cotton shirts wer standard for Veshtis?
Well neways, I shud say tats very brave of u to attempt, but hopefully ur Boss/es allow/s u to wear nething other than formal in the office....? :)

Lambretta
16th April 2006, 08:07 PM
just some days ago he wore it like the africans(took the lungi around his shoulders)
:shock: Um.....'wonder if I shud ask if he wore nething down his waist at the time.....? :oops: :?

As for me, my parents wud keep making fun of me tat I didnt wear veshtis properly (I'd usually wear them a bit higher up than other men do, so my ankles wud show......I found tat convenient nevrtheless! :P :huh:)
& for a while my father wud wear his way up, around his chest rather than waist...but for a reason, he used to hav a health problem w/ his stomach getting bloated now & then, so he wasnt able to tie it around his waist......altho it wasnt really funny, I used to call it as a 'Kerala' veshti wenever he wore it tat way......even tho I cudnt recall who does wear it tat way in Kerala (if at all?).....I think the priests wen they do puja...? :?

Fire111999
16th April 2006, 08:10 PM
you're getting all confused with all your different styles of tying veshti, i c. and an interesting website: http://www.kamat.com/kalranga/ancient/sari4men.htm

i should prob have posted that in the saree's thread. but nvrmind.

Lambretta
16th April 2006, 08:17 PM
Um...tks for the link but I've already been to tat site (inc. the webpage in tat link- Sarees for men! :)).....
Yea do post it in the Saree thread......y not? Lesse wat the other guys hav to say to it...:)

Fire111999
16th April 2006, 08:19 PM
ok, fine! i know when i'm not needed! :wink: anyway, must do some work!