PDA

View Full Version : Interesting Bhindi Recipes?

Alan
3rd April 2006, 02:09 PM
I've tried Bhindi Masala & Bhindi Raita- Any other variations that can be eaten with chappathis?
Thankyou!

dev
3rd April 2006, 02:58 PM
How do u make bhindi masala?... you have various recipes for it?... If you can let us know ur style of bhindi masala, it'll helps others to tell u how it can be modified...you can try stuffed bhindis if u don't mind a bit more oil in ur diet...

ayeshasadique
3rd April 2006, 03:26 PM
hi Alan
this is how my mom makes bhindi

bhindi - 2 cups (cut into 2cm pieces)
onion - 1 cup , chopped fine
salt
turmeric - 1/4 tsp
red chilli powder - 1/2 tsp
coriander powder - 1/4 tsp
cumin powder - 1/4 tsp
oil - 2 tbsp

heat oil in a non stick pan, add all ingredients.
cook on very low heat without covering and without much stirring.
it might take around 10 to 15 minutes.
thats it
can be had with pooris, chappati, curd rice ,etc

Anoushka
3rd April 2006, 04:13 PM
Here is one of the bhindi dishes I make...

Chop bhindi into very thin pieces and dry fry them with some chilli powder and salt

Chop potato into very then pieces and dry fry them with salt, chilli powder and turmeric powder

in the end mix both and fry till crisp...

dev
3rd April 2006, 04:26 PM
Hi Anou,

I do a dish similar to urs... but I cut bindis into ling 2 inch pieces & potatoes into medium sized pieces as well... I microwave these 2 vegs seperately for 3-4 mins & then stir fry both until almost done... add salt, chilli powder, turmeric & a bit of garam masala & cook for a few more mins until done...

Anoushka
3rd April 2006, 04:41 PM
Hi Dev,

your recipe sounds simpler, will try out the microwave thing the next time I do it :)

RedPepper
3rd April 2006, 07:54 PM
I made stuffed bhindi last week.

Here is KrishnaArjuna's recipe for stuffed okra.

Tender okra - 20nos

For stuffing

Gram flour - 2.5 tsps
Coriander & cumin powders - 1/4 tsp each
Turmeric powder - a pinch
Salt and chilli powder - acc to your taste
Oil - 1 tsp

Remove the topmost stem from okra, slit them open only on one side in such a way that it would be able to hold the stuffing inside. Mix all the stuffing ingredients. Stuff each okra with the mixture. Heat oil in a pan, add the stuffed okras to the pan. Turn them halfway, let them brown on both sides. If you have stuffing mixture left you can add that to the pan too; this will leave the okras nicely coated and will also impart crispy texture to them. This can be eaten either with chapati or rice or better yet as is!!

RedPepper
3rd April 2006, 07:56 PM
Dev, wouldn't the bhindi turn gooey when you microwave it?

Alan, I saw a TV chef pickling bhindi.

dev
4th April 2006, 06:46 AM
Dev, wouldn't the bhindi turn gooey when you microwave it?

It wouldn't turn gooey... I just cook it 30-35% in the microwave & then stir fry it... This is just to reduce the oil usage... But don't microwave in huge quantities at a time...you have to split into batches if u want to make in huge quantities... max 500gms can be microwaved in 1 batch...use a wide vessel...

Alan
4th April 2006, 07:27 AM
How do u make bhindi masala?... you have various recipes for it?... If you can let us know ur style of bhindi masala, it'll helps others to tell u how it can be modified...you can try stuffed bhindis if u don't mind a bit more oil in ur diet...

I don't know the measurements- pardon me- ok, first, I saute chopped bhindi in oil till its brownish - then keep it aside & saute chopped onions tll golden brown, then ginger & green chillies are added. Then after about 3-4 mts, the masala powders & salt are added & sauted then finally, chopped tomatoes are added- when it is soft & done, fried bhindis are added- then it is mixed & cooked with the lid closed.
This is how I do it. :D

dev
4th April 2006, 07:56 AM
Interesting recipe, Alan... I remember saving a bhindi recipe posted by one of the hubber sometime back...will try to find it & post it here...

Alan
4th April 2006, 02:20 PM
Its very simple & tasty too- the more fried it is, the tastier. But I make the same recipe all the time- so just got too bored of this! :D

Alan
4th April 2006, 02:24 PM
Thankyou for responding, ayeshasadique, Anoushka & Red Pepper! I'll be trying out these soon.

Pickling Bhindis?? :shock: Not too sure how's its gonna taste, Red Pepper. Was it fried before it was pickled?

My mom's friend used to make "Vendakka mezhukkupuratti" with plain rice- So yummy! I used to make that too. :D

Kz
4th April 2006, 09:50 PM
Anyone tried frozen bhindi available in indian grocery shops? is it good?
Kz

vm
5th April 2006, 06:52 PM
Hi KZ,

The frozen bhindi is good for sambhar and not suitable for curries

kavikuil
14th April 2006, 08:25 PM
Frozen bhindi doesnt work for this one. Shana's brand might work though, as it's typical Indian Bhindi.

Chop bhindi into small rounds and toss with 1-2 tbsp oil. Spread this on a plate and microwave for 5-7 mins. Heat 1 tbsp oil in a thick bottomed kadai and add the bhindi. Sprinkle salt and chilli powder. Saute for 2-3 mins until the bhindi is slightly browned. Voila! Crispy bhindi fry without the mushiness and with very less oil, prepared within 10 mins. :D

Crisp bhindi prepared like this can also be added to plain more-kulambu just before serving.

You can also stuff bhindi and roast them in the oven.

There's a Kannadiga preparation I learnt from a friend's mom. Heat oil, add jeera, onions and saute well. Add chopped tomatoes and sprinkle a bit of salt on this for tomatoes to cook faster. Now add the bhindi rounds, turmeric powder, chilli powder, dhania powder, salt and stir once. cover the bhindi and let it cook. When done, add 2-3 tbsp freshly ground coconut paste and leave it on the stove for 2 more mins. Serve with rotis or rice. Very different from usual bhindi masala.

And here's another one I like.
http://towardsabettertomorrow.blogspot.com/2006/01/bhindi-kaali-mirch-or-black-pepper.html

nitgopa
31st May 2006, 12:09 AM
This is a differenttypeof MASALA BHINDI. A spicy accompaniment to dal and chawal.

Prepartion Time : 10 mins.
Cooking Time : 10 mins.

Serves 4.

Ingredients

2 cups bhindi (ladies' fingers), slit into four lengthwise
2 tablespoons Bengal gram flour (besan)
1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder (haldi)
1 teaspoon chilli powder
2 teaspoons chaat masala
1 teaspoon lemon juice
salt to taste

Other ingredients

oil for deep frying

Method

1. Mix together all the ingredients in a bowl. Toss well.

2. Heat the oil in a kadhai and deep fry the bhindi till crisp.

3. Drain on absorbent paper.

4. Serve hot.

Alan
31st May 2006, 08:29 AM
Wow! Those sound yummy! Thanks kavikuil & nitgopa!

ayeshasadique
31st May 2006, 04:01 PM
the one nitgopa has posted is a fav. of my abba (dad) :)
the same method he uses for thinly sliced brinjal rounds also !!

Alan
5th June 2006, 09:33 PM
kavikuil, I tried ur Kannadiga recipe- came out well- Its YUMMY!

ayeshasadique
6th June 2006, 02:06 AM
BHINDI KA KHATTA

bhindi - 2 cups, cut into 1 inch pieces
oil - 2 tbsp
onion - 1, chopped
tomato - 1, chopped
ginger garlic paste - 2 tbsp
turmeric - 1/4 tsp
chilli powder - 2 tsp
coriander powder - 3 tsp
salt
coconut paste - 2 tbsp
tamarind pulp - lemon size

1. heat oil, fry onion till brown. add the tomatoes and fry till cooked. then add gingrer garlic paste and fry.
2. when brown add the spices and salt. fry and add water. boil
3. add the bhindi and simmer till half done. then add the cocnut paste.
4. when 3/4th done , add the tamarind pulp. let simmer till done.
5. serve garnished with coriander leaves.

note:
can add potatoes also. the same recipe can be tried with drumstick, brinjal, arvi, etc.

i make this version of okra along with mutton also :)

Surya
6th June 2006, 04:17 AM
Edible Bindhies???? :? :shock: :?

that's cool. U just peel them off of ur forehead @ night, to have a nice night time snake. 8-)

Alan
6th June 2006, 07:21 AM
Edible Bindhies???? :? :shock: :?

that's cool. U just peel them off of ur forehead @ night, to have a nice night time snake. 8-)

If u r trying to joke, sorry dude, u have a very sick sense of humour- Pls keepthese kind of stupid jokes & comments off my cookery threads.

Surya
6th June 2006, 11:24 PM
Joke-e Illa!! :poke:

Seriously...What the hell are bindhies anyway? :huh:

ayeshasadique
6th June 2006, 11:51 PM
if u go through the thread carefully, u will get the answer :)

Alan
7th June 2006, 09:05 PM
First of all, its Bhindi not Bhindhi- Bhindi means ladies finger, a green vegetable with the scientific name, Hibiscus esculentus- I explained this because next u would be 'joking' if it is women' fingers that are being eaten & whether we are canniballistic- lol!

Surya
7th June 2006, 11:35 PM
Hmm..Ladies Fingers....good thing u explained..I'm more familiar with the term "Okras" :P

Alan
8th June 2006, 04:27 PM
oh I see.

RedPepper
8th June 2006, 07:40 PM
Thankyou for responding, ayeshasadique, Anoushka & Red Pepper! I'll be trying out these soon.

Pickling Bhindis?? :shock: Not too sure how's its gonna taste, Red Pepper. Was it fried before it was pickled?

My mom's friend used to make "Vendakka mezhukkupuratti" with plain rice- So yummy! I used to make that too. :D

No Alan, it was not fried. It was not an Indian style pickle. Here (http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,,FOOD_9936_17205,00.html) is the link if you want to take a look.

I make vendakka mezhukkupuratti too. :)

Also there is a morukootaan with bhindis. The sauce is white. Coconut and yogurt are the main ingredients, I guess. Ayesha, can you help me with this recipe?

Alan
8th June 2006, 08:11 PM
Thanks RP!

ayeshasadique
8th June 2006, 08:55 PM
OKRA MOR KOOTAN

sour buttermilk( not too sour) - 2 to 3 cups + add a tbsp of rice flour
okra/bhindi - 1 cup, cut into small pieces and deep fried, sprinkled with salt

grind:
a small piece of coconut
jeera
pepper corns
green chillis
ginger

tempering:
oil
mustard
cumin
curry leaves
methi seeds
whole red chilli

boil butter milk and the ground paste continuously stirring.
temper.
add the fried bhindi.

Alan
9th June 2006, 09:23 PM
Sometimes, I add fried Bhindis to the dal curry- Its YUM!