PDA

View Full Version : Cooking for 10 people & 5 kids

Alan
5th April 2006, 10:34 PM
Ok, leave the 5 kids- they'll hardly eat a thing but cooking for 10 ppl?

Well, did I confuse you all? :D

Well, I'm planning on giving a small at-home party to my close office colleagues & their families after my marriage- they won't be able to come for the marriage. This will also serve as a nice , informal occasion where my wife can also get to know them - hence we thought home get-together will be better than a restaurant one.

Since I'll have to continue cooking ever after marriage :D , I thought I 'll start planning straightaway.

I've not cooked such a large amount- I intend to repeat the same Vegetarian Menu ( at the earlier one as the crowd is different this time) Can someone help me out with this? Someone who has the experience of having coked in great amounts like Shoba Mam.

dev, Red Pepper, rain, Anoushka, Shakthi Mam, you are all welcome to come to my rescue! Thankyou everyone, well in advance!
My first Question is :

How many glasses of Basmati Rice I should use for 10 ppl?

dev
6th April 2006, 06:42 AM
I've cooked for gorups of 10 & more only a couple of times... Once it was a south Indian lunch... the last tme it was a north Indian dinner... I made chapathis(3 each) & peas pulav... I'm good at roalling chapathis & S helped me cook it...Made some green moong dhal & S prepared a curry with potatoes & cauliflower... I also made a carrot salad & some pappads... & there were some curds & pickles & stuff & some gulab jamuns...This was a very very informal party & I din't have to mind about serving a proper 3 course meal or whatever...

If U r preparing only rice(the same menu you did previously), for 10+5 group, I believe you'll have to use someting like1 1/2 kg of rice or a bit more...to be safe, maybe 2 kgs should be fine... My measure might not be very correct... let's wait for other experienced ppl to help out...

Alan
6th April 2006, 07:34 AM
Thanks for replying, dev!

2 kgsof rice, huh? But when the veggies & spices are added, the qty of rice can be lessened, na? If you remember my earlier meno, I am making Veg Pulao.

dev
6th April 2006, 09:21 AM
my calculation was, 100 gms per adult & 50 gms for kids...

100gms * 10= 1 kg
50 *5= 250 gms

& I wasn't sure if U botn were included in the 10 ppl group... so I added anotehr 200 gms for u both... & rounded it to 1 1/2 kg... 2kgs mighe be more coz the starters & stuff will fill their stomach to some extent,which I didn't take into account in the last post... maybe 1 1/2 kgs should be okay... Anyways, I'm not too good at these calc... lets wait for others to help out... :roll:

Alan
6th April 2006, 10:56 AM
Yes, we are included in the 10 ppl- but yeah............just leave the Lady Doc out- she eats like a bird anyway- lol!

So, yes, you r rite, dev, with all the starters & stuff, there will not be so much rice requirement- Moreover, one change I may add is Aloo Parathas ( which I'll get made by neighbour aunt)Won't around 20 Parathas do?

dev
6th April 2006, 12:30 PM
If U r adding aloo parathas, the quantity of rice can be cut by more than half...1/2 to 3/4th kg(depending on ur guests- male/female nos & the age of the kids) should be fine as parathas will be heavy... & 20 Parathas should be more than enough except incase U r gonna have many paratha lovers like my husb...

Anoushka
6th April 2006, 02:12 PM
Alan, my general calculation for rice is that I cook 1/2 azhakku (similar to a glass) for an adult who eats normally. But when I add veg I would reduce it. Like if I cook rice + samabar for 10 people I would do 5 glasses, but if I make a mixed veg pulao, my veg would be say 1 1/2 glasses and my rice would be reduced to 3.5 or 4 glasses easily.

and if you are adding aloo parathas then you can make slightly less rice as well.

I would say keep a wee bit more than expected as it is better to have more than have just right or less...
:)

dev
6th April 2006, 02:19 PM
Anou, how many gms/ml would the azhakku be(approx)?...

Alan
6th April 2006, 02:48 PM
Thanku Anoushka for responding!

I don't have an.....an "azhakku" I have a normal steel glass which I use for measurements.

ok for the 10 adults ( of which 4 men are expected to eat really well- almost overeat- lol!!!!) - will 1 kg of Basmati Rice do? And 20 Aloo Parathas do? As Anu said, its better to have a lil more if not less- I think this is sufficient, na?

Ok, the next-

Baingan Bartha- should I make with 2 kgs of Brinjals?
The other items include
Lemonade for ladies/Hot Drinks for the men
Starters- Crispy Fried Veggies or Spring Rolls

Cucumber Raita
Pappads
Curd ( for Aloo Parathas)
Lime Pickle
One Paneer Dish pref Shahi Paneer or Paneer Pasanda ( which I'll get someone to make again)

Gulab Jamun with Ice-Cream- Dessert

Can you Pls specify the quanity for each item?
Thanks!

dev
6th April 2006, 04:52 PM
Thanku Anoushka for responding!

I don't have an.....an "azhakku" I have a normal steel glass which I use for measurements.

ok for the 10 adults ( of which 4 men are expected to eat really well- almost overeat- lol!!!!) - will 1 kg of Basmati Rice do? And 20 Aloo Parathas do? As Anu said, its better to have a lil more if not less- I think this is sufficient, na?

Ok, the next-

Baingan Bartha- should I make with 2 kgs of Brinjals?

1kg rice with 20 paraths should be sufficient, I believe... Brinjals, can have counts like 1 or 2 brinjals per head & maybe add an extra 5-6 brinjals... 1 brinjal if it's big should be fine as U r planning to go for a paneer dish aswell... If it's the smaller baby brinjals 2 per head should be sufficient...

ayeshasadique
6th April 2006, 05:32 PM
1 azhakku will be approx 200 gms
and 5 azhakkus make 1 kg
like dev said, 1 kg of rice and 20 parathas will be quite sufficient
and since it is bharta, 2 kgs is much, u may reduce it to 1 1/2 kgs ( about 12 - 15 plump brinjals)

Anoushka
6th April 2006, 05:35 PM
There... Ayesha has answered for me :) Thanks Ayesha!

gkals
6th April 2006, 06:31 PM
Alan,

I have some experience in cooking for 10 people at a time as iam doing that every week for the past 2 months by inviting them to our new home.
I use 7-8 rice cooker cups of basmathi rice to make peas pulav.It will serve for 10-12 people.As u are serving aaloo parota u can make 6-7 cups.I consider half cup for one person. I make veg kurma as side dish and don't give any appitizer as they will not eat the dinner properly.So i just prepare chicken/tomato soup before starting the dinner.They will get more hungry and eat well and finish my food.Hope this helps.

kals

Alan
6th April 2006, 09:13 PM
Thanks Anoushka, dev & ayeshasadique & gkals!

Kz
25th April 2006, 11:27 PM
Could anyone give me some ideas for a menu for 25 ppl. I need some easy appetizers and dessert ideas. I am planning to include chapathis( store bought) and paneer mutter gravy. i need 1 or 2 main dishes which is easy to do. I also have no idea for the quatity. some of them are veg and some nonveg. I want to make atleast one non veg dish.

I just dont have a clue for appetizers mainly other than the usual tortialla and salsa or deepfrying vadai kind of stuff. that would be a last item if i come up with nothing.

Kz

RedPepper
26th April 2006, 12:40 AM
For appetizers, there is an appetizer contest going on at VKN's My Dhaba. Here is the link if you want to have a look at it. http://mydhaba.blogspot.com/2006/04/vcc-q1-2006-voting-begins-today.html
There are 41 appetizers listed with pictures. Click on the VCC code to get the recipe.

Kz
26th April 2006, 01:52 AM
Thankyou RP. The rasamalai recipe is great, thinking of trying it for dessert. but not sure how much ricotta to buy. atleast 3 pc for each, as everyone enjoys food in this group. any other ideas for dessert?
Kz

Shakthiprabha.
27th April 2006, 01:42 PM
Shakthi Mam, you are all welcome to come to my rescue! Thankyou everyone, well in advance!

alan,,,,,,

:rotfl:

wrong person to ask :oops: :P

:D