PDA

View Full Version : making dosa

adec
6th April 2006, 01:53 AM
hi i have braun company's chopper
it works ok for onions tomatoes etc so i tried to grind rice for dosa. the dal ground OK but not rice. i cant afford to buy a grinder so is there any way to make dosa using any other method.
thanks

dev
6th April 2006, 06:24 AM
Hi adec,

If you could grind the dal until smooth & fluffy, you can mix rice flour to it & let ferment as usual & make dosas... You can also make dosa by mixing rice flour & urad dhal flour(available in the mkt) But U'll find some difference in the texture of the dosa...

adec
6th April 2006, 09:40 PM
Thanks Dev
Could you give me some idea for say 1 cup dal usually we would take 2 cups rice in this case how much rice flour to use
and does it give same results ?
will this also get fermented ?
sorry if the questions seems very silly but i am not from south so have no idea or clue actually
thansk a lot

ayeshasadique
7th April 2006, 01:23 AM
hi adec
try 2 cups of rice flour
1/4 cup of channa dal and 1/4 cup urad dal -ground till soft and fluffy

mix them together with enough water to make a dosa batter along with needed salt and leave overnight.
the next day add 3 pinches of cooking soda and make dosas in a non stick tava.

this works for me...hope it does for u too!! :)

dev
7th April 2006, 06:57 AM
Thanks Dev
Could you give me some idea for say 1 cup dal usually we would take 2 cups rice in this case how much rice flour to use
and does it give same results ?
will this also get fermented ?
sorry if the questions seems very silly but i am not from south so have no idea or clue actually
thansk a lot

Hi adec, I used to weigh the flours...200 gms roasted & ground rice flour & 70gms of urad flour... I sometimes reduce the quantity of the flour to 150 gms & add 50 gm of rice rawa... If U mix the batter well(use ur hands) with salt, it does ferment... but I live in Singapore where the weather is hot all round the yr... I'm not sure if it'll ferment in cold places...

You can try adding a bit of baking powder(or fruit salt) if it doesn't seem to ferment... or guess adding a bit of curd will help too... I have never tried these,anyway... I was trying out this kind of dosa for sometime last yr... but didn't quiet like it coz of the diff in texture...Now that I've an Indian grocer nearby, I buy ground batter from them...

adec
7th April 2006, 07:41 PM
Thanks a lot Dev and ayeshasadique
i will try this weekend if i get to a store to buy the rice flour
Ciao

sri2005
7th April 2006, 10:43 PM
This is what i do

for 1 cup of urd dhal (before grinding) , i use 3 cups of the rice flour available in the Indian stores here, Soak urd dhal for 4 hrs and grind it nicely till its fluffy.mix this with the rice flour with enough water, salt and 1 pinch of cooking soda, keep overnight to ferment.For me idli and dosa comes well with this batter.
(Winter i keep in preheated oven to ferment)

Try and let me know.

Sri