PDA

View Full Version : my greatest music creator

vaidy
20th April 2006, 09:29 PM
The only difference between the Great MSV and others- while the former creates music, the rest direct.

To me MSV is a rare musical phenomenon of this millennium. MSV needs no comparison for he is a class of a musician who are seldom born. It is a real honour for all of us that we are living with him. Long live MSV. In my next post I shall talk about my letter to President Dr. A.P.J. Abdul Kalam to honour MSV with only Bharath Ratna and nothing else or less!

m_23_bayarea
20th April 2006, 09:33 PM
Hi Vaidy !!! Welcome to the hub ... Looks like you're a big fan of MSV ... Lookin forward to hearin your likes and experiences abt him ... :thumbsup:

Pls do access this thread on the BEST MUSIC DIRECTOR !! I'm not sure if this thread will last long, cos we've had threads on indivudual MDs being locked in this section of the hub ...

http://forumhub.mayyam.com/hub/viewtopic.php?t=306&start=345

vaidy
20th April 2006, 09:52 PM
I was so excited that I didn't even tell about me. well i am vaidy from chennai, running a pizzeria called pizzaurant. I have been meeting MSV very often, been for all his latest recordings and let me tell you all our genius is in full action and still the quality to create quality music astonished me. I talk to him almost everyday and he fondly addresses me vaidy avargale. To me there could be no better human being than MSV for I learnt a lot from him when it came to respecting others. There is a real fan club of MSV in Chennai consisting of Sabesan, Ramki, Sriram Lakshman, Ramkumar, Rajkumar, Andy, Ananthachari, RVS Mani, Soundarajan, Mandaveli Jayaraman whom I meet regularly and exchange thoughts of how MSV still reings absolutely supreme even after almost 6 decades. Well it's been a pleasure that I found you all. I wish to take our appeal to President Kalam for Bharath Ratna for MSV to newer heights. Please post your opinion. Long live MSV.

Nerd
20th April 2006, 10:23 PM
Vaidy,

This forum would interest you more than anything else!

http://forumhub.mayyam.com/hub/viewforum.php?f=31

vaidy
20th April 2006, 10:29 PM
hey thanks. i was checking out that url, quite a lot of info. thank you once again.

Thirumaran
20th April 2006, 11:29 PM
Hey Vaidy,
Welcome to the hub. :D MSV without any doubt is a great music director. :thumbsup:

ssanjinika
20th April 2006, 11:38 PM
Hey Vaidy,
Welcome to the hub. :D MSV without any doubt is a great music director. :thumbsup:
No doubt about that..
Vaidy, there is a section in the hub dedicated to music.More music lovers visit that section than this one.If you could open a thread there too it would be great :)

Scale
20th April 2006, 11:41 PM
A MD with the most composed films +1800 ever(unknown world record - SPB).

Mellisai Mannar MSV pallandu kaalam vaalgha. :clap:

Sanguine Sridhar
21st April 2006, 03:15 AM
MSV is simply great and outstanding!! 8-)

Hulkster
21st April 2006, 06:34 AM
MSV was the first one to introduce westernised orchestration in TFM. His melodies will forever be remembered especially by Shivaji and MGR fans. I have listened to certain songs of his and the orchestration in them is superb.

I would also like to add KV Mahadevan to the list of tfm legends for his undisputed use of raagams in songs. Paatum Naanae will forever be remembered for the way he tuned the raagam to suit TMS voice.

:thumbsup: :clap:

MADDY
21st April 2006, 09:00 AM
MSV is great but guys dunt forget TKRamamoorthy also.....both these guys ruled TFM for many years till another biggie Ilayarja came....

vaidy
21st April 2006, 10:21 AM
Hey Vaidy,

pavam neengal. "ungalukka" theriapogirathu "karpoorathin vasanai"

it's a shame you sent me a message like that.

jaiganes
21st April 2006, 10:31 AM
Idhenna Galaattaa??

umaramesh
21st April 2006, 02:51 PM
Hi Vaidy

Nice to hear that you are talking to LEGEND daily. As you rightly said he is creator and beyond any award. Keep in touch .

ramesh

umaramesh
21st April 2006, 03:12 PM
Hi Vaidy
Just check MEMORIES OF YESTERYEAR we have separate thread for MSV.

ramesh

vaidy
21st April 2006, 03:19 PM
Hi Vaidy
Just check MEMORIES OF YESTERYEAR we have separate thread for MSV.

ramesh

hi ramesh,

nice to know u r from chennai. thank you for your feed back. keep posting

Sanjeevi
21st April 2006, 04:01 PM
A MD with the most composed films +1800

:rotfl:

Proof??

Can you list the film names atleast for 600 films

umaramesh
21st April 2006, 05:04 PM
sanjeevi

:poke: what yo gone mad?

ramesh

vaidy
21st April 2006, 06:21 PM

Proof??

never knew you were soooooooooooooo weak in maths. @ average of 15 films per year since 1950. enough or do u need more?????

rajdes
21st April 2006, 06:40 PM
vaidy, classic response. I havent seen a more stupid argument in this forum - and that's saying a lot!

rajasaranam
21st April 2006, 06:46 PM
Proof??

Sanjeevi I too Dont understand how this rumour is going around without any authentication :roll:
Even If we consider that 100 movies are made per year in tamil cinema--- the years in which MSV was active were 1960 till 1976 comprises 16 years if he had composed all the movies released those years it counts to 1600...and adding a buffer of 4 years till 1980 after which he got retired gracefully....
and lets approximate it to be 50% of the movies released it makes 50 X 4 = 200

Math is right :arrow: 1600+200 = 1800 but Can anyone believe this :?

And if this is real why not some MSV fan take up this matter to 'Guiness book of world Records' and auntheticate it :?:

Scale madhiri aalukellam entha proofum thevai padathu... Britney madonna vida ARR athiga units vithirukkarnnu etho oru magazinela vantha seidhi ippa eppadi ella edathilum paravi 'thirumba thirumba solra poi oru nerathila unmai aayidum' ndra mathiri unmai aayiducho athey madhiri Intha MSV matterum unmai aayidum pola :P

No wonder he is a genius and a very good composer but rumours like this doesnt add anything to his 'Kreedam'.

rajasaranam
21st April 2006, 06:54 PM
never knew you were soooooooooooooo weak in maths. @ average of 15 films per year since 1950. enough or do u need more?????

Vaithy we need more

You should learn maths at first 15 X 56 ( i.e., 2006-1950 )= 840 and not 1800 8-)
I thought he was here from 1960 and i stand corrected if he is here from 1950 even then this averaging thing is not gonna work out :wink:

rajdes I never thought you who asked for so much proof in the thiruvasagam scandal just fell in to this crap oft repeated by MSV fans :huh:

MADDY
21st April 2006, 08:23 PM
RS, MSV debuted as early as in 1953.....ur arguement that he was active from 1960 only is a bull-s***t.......and also he composed for many movies after 1976 till the latest viswathulasi.......

RS, i can understand that u r insecure whenever ppl. praise MSV or ARRahman cos IR's era was sandwiched betn these 2.......i can only pity u......

btw, ARR's selling more than madonna-britney was claimed by london press and not by local usilampatti mookan.......

Scale
21st April 2006, 09:24 PM

Proof??

It was said by SPB in IR Show - Jaya TV. What more you need? :evil: Thats why he said this may be even a unknown World RECORD!

YOU guys are never short of amusement. Keep going! :rotfl:

Scale
21st April 2006, 09:29 PM
Proof??

Scale madhiri aalukellam entha proofum thevai padathu... Britney madonna vida ARR athiga units vithirukkarnnu etho oru magazinela vantha seidhi ippa eppadi ella edathilum paravi 'thirumba thirumba solra poi oru nerathila unmai aayidum' ndra mathiri unmai aayiducho athey madhiri Intha MSV matterum unmai aayidum pola :P

No wonder he is a genius and a very good composer but rumours like this doesnt add anything to his 'Kreedam'.

RS, Stop your cracking jokes. Give me a break, I will come up with the exact link.

vaidy
21st April 2006, 09:32 PM
i dont know if anyone kept track of ir recent sppech- goes like this

ir looking at msv- nanga podura music neenga thupina echil- ir himself accepted. ithu mattum podhuma, innum konjam venuma

vaidy
21st April 2006, 09:54 PM
I feel ashamed that our topics are going off the tracks. I thought this forum was to appreciate MSV's creations and who are these kathu kutiis inbetween talking about directors at a time when we are seriously discussing about the "creator". stop this forthwith. I shall only post if someone talks some sense instead of nonsense.

Scale
21st April 2006, 09:54 PM
etho voru magazine illa. TIMES Magazine.

http://www.time.com/time/europe/magazine/article/0,13005,901020603-250008,00.html

boo bu boo, rubu boo :poke:

Googling, few more

A.R.Rahman at CBSO (City of Birmingham Symphony Orchestra)

On 5-6 March the world-famous music composer, A.R.Rahman, conducted the CBSO (City of Birmingham Symphony Orchestra) of Bollywood blockbusters including his own themes from Bombay, Roja, Taal, Dil Se, Warriors of Heaven and Earth and the Oscar-nominated Lagaan. The concert was titled "Hooray for Bollywood".

The CBSO (City of Birmingham Symphony Orchestra) is widely considered one of Europe's finest orchestras.

The orchestra started with the remarks "Tonight we have a very special guest who has been topping charts for over a decade and the World wide sales of his work exceeding more than 40 million more than the sales of Madonna and Britney Spears put together. Ladies and gentlemen please welcome the hugely popular and very talented, A.R.RAHMAN."

Rahman's appearance at Symphony Hall is believed to have pulled in what is believed to be the largest ever non-white audience for a mainstream British orchestra. Delighted orchestra executives say the demand for seats was so high, they could have sold three times as many seats as they did.

vaidy
21st April 2006, 09:56 PM
just listened to malligai en mannan mayangum , nanoru kuzhandai nee oru kuzhandai........any comments please?

Scale
21st April 2006, 10:06 PM
:::ir looking at msv- nanga podura music neenga thupina echil- ir himself accepted. ithu mattum podhuma, innum konjam venuma:::

:rotfl: enakku indha video venum ummm ummm :cry: :( :poke:

Back to topic.

vaidy, please rename this thread to Mellisai Mannar MSV. I am big fan of him for his eternal melodies. His combo with Kannadasan is the best ever in TFM. :clap:

Please share your thoughts about the legend. Thanks!

rajasaranam
21st April 2006, 10:12 PM
i dont know if anyone kept track of ir recent sppech- goes like this

ir looking at msv- nanga podura music neenga thupina echil- ir himself accepted. ithu mattum podhuma, innum konjam venuma

Nobody is refuting this :huh: 'Naan potta isai ellam neenga potta pitchai athu ellathayum unga kaladiyilayae samapikiraennu' kooda thaan Raja solli irukaar.

Vaidy have you got any problem in providing the exact or atleast a partial list of the films scored by MSV to claim atleast 1000 movies scored by Him :?:

Maddy and Scale What are your problems dudes
Suppose somebody is asking you to give away a list of Movies scored by ARR you can very well do that and I can do the same For IR. But blindly accepting A false Claim is not my forte. If you want you can do that :roll:

AFAIK Its IR who has scored more no. of movies and the list comes to some where over 875+ movies disregarding the dubbed ones. And I will never want to give away this record by IR for someone's false claim :P

If you people will be generous enough to correct this Iam ready to accept it and will stand corrected. 8-)

Raikkonen
21st April 2006, 10:14 PM
IR is the best..
I agree others are good in modern music..

But when you IR you feel like youre seeing a true magician..
How to say a GOD...

Neetiki thalaivanagiya ennai ISaiku talaivananga vaitha ore Kadavul Rajathan...

* Sorry konjam emotional ah poitten...

rajasaranam
21st April 2006, 10:23 PM
http://www.time.com/time/europe/magazine/article/0,13005,901020603-250008,00.html

The orchestra started with the remarks "Tonight we have a very special guest who has been topping charts for over a decade and the World wide sales of his work exceeding more than 40 million more than the sales of Madonna and Britney Spears put together. Ladies and gentlemen please welcome the hugely popular and very talented, A.R.RAHMAN"

Rahman, 36, may not be a household name to Westerners, but he is every bit as much a musical monarch as Lloyd Webber is, having sold well over 100 million CDs. A little perspective, folks: that's about the same as Madonna and Britney Spears combined.

Now is it 100 million or 40 million :roll:
CBSO happend after BD :arrow: and incidentaly the figure drops from 100 million to 40 million :rotfl:
And This proves beyond doubt that these magazines or websites give away some figures to hype up ARR and his sales figures and people like maddy and scale go by it :P

you love this smiley aint it scale :poke:

rajasaranam
21st April 2006, 10:33 PM
just listened to malligai en mannan mayangum , nanoru kuzhandai nee oru kuzhandai........any comments please?

Vaidy You would have thought we are here to ridicule MSV and his talent. Its not and I love most of his compositions. But I'll stand till death against this false claim of him composing 1800+ movies which is highly impossible given the circumstances and situations under the time when he was actively composing.If You are not able to provide us proofs get ahead and go on with the thread and start discussing about his eternal classics rather than trying to belittle IR.
And some body claimed that SPB said the same during IR Live show of Jaya TV ...I dont remember anything like that however I'll watch that programme again to confirm. Even If he had said this I would only conclude that he too got carried away by this rumour which is well set to become a reality soon.

MrJudge
21st April 2006, 11:11 PM
-deleted-

app_engine
21st April 2006, 11:49 PM
vaidy,
konjam `indhiran-chandhiran' varNanaigaLaiththavirththu (avar creator maththavA director / phenomenon of this millenium etc.), MSV sir'Oda isaiyai patRi mattum discuss paNNungO...nalla discussion piRakkum...

illAtti kuzhAyadi dhAn:-(

I'm sorry to stereotype people of my own state...but it's a sad state that most of the time we use ultra superlatives to describe people...people who are known only in their street also will become `thAnaiththalaivar' 'akila ulaga mahAn' etc...

S.Balaji
22nd April 2006, 12:09 AM
Though I admire both MSV and IR ( like 2 eyes ) ....if one looks at which are the songs still being heard for looooooooooong ......

DONT YOU GUYS REALISE THAT MELLISAI MANNAR STANDS WAY AHEAD OF EVEN IR !!

MSV's most of the songs of 60s are still being heard at large.....the longevity factor

I wonder any one listens to IR's 70s even ( which IMO the most imaginative period of IR )

Somebody here counts the number game ...how many movies MSV scored and all..... IMO its irrelevant as to how many movies one composed....

WHAT IS RELEVANT SHOULD BE HOW MANY WORTHWHILE MOVIES ONE COMPOSED.....

Lets salute the senior Master

app_engine
22nd April 2006, 03:17 AM
Balaji, konjam kuzhappam...

Even the songs of KVM, SMS and the likes are evergreen and are being heard by many. Could it be that there're many other factors besides MSV? (pAdal varigal, padamAkkiya vidham, kadhai amaippu, MGR-Sivaji factor etc)

And why MSV's 70's-80's hits do not have the same kind of longevity?

On another angle, for some IR admirers, they still remember closely his songs...(like my car CD player has all the time IR stuff)...

In any case, `longevity' is a debatable topic...

thenraja
22nd April 2006, 03:58 AM
I think the discussions should be focused on
-- bringing out the important aspects about why MSV deserves Bharath Ratna. That way the discussions here can be used for submitting such proposal to the Indian Govt.
-- list the movies for which he composed music

May be this topic can be brought under "MELLISAI MANNAR MSV - THE SENIOR MAESTRO WITH EVERLASTING TF"
Link:
http://tfmpage.mayyam.com/hub/viewtopic.php?t=1794&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=225

baba88
22nd April 2006, 04:04 AM
Why don't you rename the thread to "A.R.Rahman the greatest music creator" ?

A.R.Rahman is the best !

MADDY
22nd April 2006, 06:34 AM
hey baba, we have a whole section for us, come there and discuss that ARRahman is the best, leave MSV here...

one of the biggest contri of MSV/TKR to TFM has been their light music.....i cant imagine how tuf it was for them to change ppl. from carnatic music to lite music......1 subbudu was enuf for us to bear in 90's, there shuld have been a state of subbudus during 1950's and 60's.....so to change the taste of ppl. that time was their biggest achievement IMO.....

Scale
22nd April 2006, 10:14 AM
Guys,

Please End Digression....

contd (http://forumhub.mayyam.com/hub/viewtopic.php?p=509775#509775)

MrJudge
22nd April 2006, 01:05 PM
Thanks, Admin. I appreciate :thumbsup:

vaidy
23rd April 2006, 10:32 AM
The combination of Kannadsan & MSV is probably the best thing that happened to Indian film world. Not even a day passes by without MSV mentioning his name. By the way meeting the legend this evening for a chat at his residence.will post all info tomorrow.

vaidy
23rd April 2006, 10:40 AM
have you all heard the combi of spb & msv? lethal once again. listen to enakkoru kadali irukindral and what about msv as a singer himself? wow i hv 21 songs of OUR MASTER'S VOICE on a single disc presented to me by RVS Mani who has immense knowledge about MSV's music. This is one of my rarest of clollections and I listen to it everyday. The title song Par Magale Par in the movie Par Magale Par sung by MSV makes tears roll down my cheeks every time i lesten to it. what a composer and a singer, absolutely unparallelled indeed. Long live our Legend! His variety mixed with melody will ever rule this world of music.

vaidy
23rd April 2006, 10:56 AM
I think the discussions should be focused on
-- bringing out the important aspects about why MSV deserves Bharath Ratna. That way the discussions here can be used for submitting such proposal to the Indian Govt.
-- list the movies for which he composed music

May be this topic can be brought under "MELLISAI MANNAR MSV - THE SENIOR MAESTRO WITH EVERLASTING TF"
Link:
http://tfmpage.mayyam.com/hub/viewtopic.php?t=1794&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=225

that will be wonderful. by the way I along with a like minded MSV devotees have already sent a proposal to Predident Kalam and a formal reply is awaited. Truely MSV deserves only a Bharath Ratna and nothing else or less. We couls straight away start this campaign from hereitself. are u all ok with it???

Sanjeevi
23rd April 2006, 12:54 PM
Though I admire both MSV and IR ( like 2 eyes ) ....if one looks at which are the songs still being heard for looooooooooong ......

DONT YOU GUYS REALISE THAT MELLISAI MANNAR STANDS WAY AHEAD OF EVEN IR !!

MSV's most of the songs of 60s are still being heard at large.....the longevity factor

I wonder any one listens to IR's 70s even ( which IMO the most imaginative period of IR )

MSV came at 1953 (is correct?) and IR came at 1976. I think you are saying about the oldness of their music :lol:

Please watch current TV, Radio or any broadcasting media and music on the movie (car, van, bus etc), then finilize about IR.

Lets salute the senior Master
I Welcome this

Sanjeevi
23rd April 2006, 01:11 PM

Proof??

2005 - 1950 = 55 (MSV's first film was released at 1950??)

55 * 15 = 825 :poke:

I guess, he did less than 10 films for the past 10 years. So last 10 years, we take 10 films.
Previous 10 years it may be 40 films. Here, we take 40 films
I think he had done about 100 to 200 films 1976-1985 (the IR era). Now we take 150 films.
I don't know about the period 1950 :?: to 1975.

Let us come to math

1996-2005 = 10
1986-1995 = 40
1976-1985 = 150
1950-1975 = ?

If the final figure was 1800 then

1950-1975 = 1800 - 200 = 1600

per year, 1600/25 = 64 :rotfl: (The world record was 48 films in one year set by Ilaiyaraja on 1985)

I guess, in tamil cine industry, 1600 films had not been produced during 1950-1975? :lol:.

----------------

Dear friends ,

I am not against MSV and his achievements. But feel the fact. Alwasy I will agree MSV is a true legend.

---------------

Dear scale :rotfl:,

dont make yourself as a fool

S.Balaji
23rd April 2006, 01:54 PM
App....

Ennachu ungallukku.....EVEN YOU HAVE A SELECTIVE MEMORY !!

MSV's songs of the 70s are also being heard even now ....and there was no Shivaji / MGR factor .....

Have you forgotten the movies of KB like :

1. Aval oru thodar kathai
2. Avargal
3. Thillu mullu ( raagangal padhinaaru is a wonder from Balu )
4. NINAITHAAALAY INIKKUM .......
5. 47 naatkal ( Maan kanda sorgangal )
6. Nool veli
7. Moondru mudichu
8. ABOORVA RAAGANGAL
9. VARUMAYIN NIRAM SIGAPPU
10. Agni saatchi ( Kanaa kaanum kangal mella )
11. NIZAL NIJAMAAGIRADHU
12. MANMADHA LEELAI
13. SOLLATHAAN NINAIKIREN

REMEMEBER THESE ARE ALL NON MGR / SHIVAJI MOVIES....

and they are all the movies of 70s only....

Let me give you more examples soon.......

Ayya App....Neenga oru hardcore IR BAKTHAR enbadhu enakku theriyaadha ....

Some how you are all trying to find out an opening to tear apart MSV......

Its really unfair on your part guys to dismiss MSV like this !!

Coming back to the longevity factor.....I have chosen the relevant period for analysis...

IMO, IR's best period was 75 to 80 ...ofcourse I still cherish and listen to them.....but I wonder the present generation knows such songs !!

I dont believe in the numbers game...... whether MSV composed 1000 movies or 1800 movies is no factor at all.....

He had done more number of quality movies....and most of his compositions ARE STILL ALIVE AND THEY WILL BE HEARD EVEN AFTER 20 YEARS.....

AND THATS MSV......

S.Balaji
23rd April 2006, 02:00 PM
App....

As you mentioned...not many songs of KVM are being heard / remembered today......

but I will agree with you on G.Ramanathan and SM Subbaiah nayudu....

though they scored few movies....they are still popular even now.....

Annakili / 16 vayadhinilay... considered to be IR's land mark movies...... anyone is listening ( apart from you on your car CD and me and few others )
Even Priya lost its charm while Ninaithaalay inikkum ...released almost at the same time.... is still popular .....WHY ?????

Sanjeevi
23rd April 2006, 02:11 PM
Till now, i could not believe "Kana Kaanum Kangal Mella" song has done by MSV. i thought it by IR and it was very very IRish exceept the interlude section (drums).

S.Balaji
23rd April 2006, 02:14 PM
Till now, i could not believe "Kana Kaanum Kangal Mella" song has done by MSV. i thought it by IR and it has very very IRish expect the interlude section (drums).

This is what the problem precisely with you guys :oops: :oops:

Neenga ellaarum just post panreenga ....without getting into facts....

Sanjeevi ...I can never forgive you for having posted once about MSV ....that he copied Hindi music most of the times and composed music in tamil....

Just see your earlier posting in MSV thread........

IGNORANCE IS BLISS ...... :lol:

S.Balaji
23rd April 2006, 02:16 PM
Kana kaanum kangal mella.....was composed when the legendary MSV was at the fag end of his career !!

and its for a KB movie.....

there is another song....NEE VARUVAAI ENA NAAN IRUNDHEN....

Not sure whether you all have heard this ....

abbydoss1969
23rd April 2006, 06:46 PM
During MSV's era, there were lots of great MDs in other states, Like Devarajan master and Baburaj etc in malayam industry.Im just listening to these people and begining to appereciate their classics,Im sure there were other MDs in karnataka and Andhra pradesh,and in hindi also.
But IR's period , he was sole master , he was the creative force in late 70s and 80s.Does it mean something?

dinesh2002
23rd April 2006, 06:53 PM
is Kana Kaanum Kangal from Agni Satchi??? what year did it release???

Music4Ever
23rd April 2006, 11:53 PM
I must contribute something since it is MSV that is the focus in this thread.

Dinesh, Agni Saatchi I think released in the year 1983 and has music by Mellisai Mannar. I still remember how I used to rave about the number KanA KANum kaNgaL mella those days. It was simply an irresistible MSV tune with those guitar bits particularly alluring. It is NOT one of MSV's best, however, since the song also has subtle shades of the immortal Enge nimmadhi by MSV-TKR. Listen to the bit "enadhu kavidhai (?) meetum podhu veenai erigindradhu" in Enge nimmadhi and compare it with "kumari uruvam kuzhandhai vadivam rendum ondrAna mAyam enna?" in kanA KANum kaNgal mella.

Balaji, app-engine and myself had this discussion on the 47 days song MAn kaNda sorgangaL even before. While he thinks it is not a good one, I believe every MSV fan would swear by this number. When this music was released I had bitter fights with my younger brother, who till today is an IR fan and used to ridicule MSV as "kezhavan". Music is simply a matter of taste and we cannot fault those who prefer other music. As for some considering that "kanA kANum kaNgaL mella " was IR-type, it is their prerogative. All I can say is that MSV fans will readily find the unmistakeable MSV stamp in that lovely number. Indeed, I for long thought that Chella PiLLai saravaNan thiruchendur vAzhum sundaran was NOT by IR, but was wrong. And, although I hate to say this, MSV has had his fair share of inspirations from hindi music, tirisoolam being a clear example.

Vaidi, Balaji, and other MSV fans, it is difficult to believe Mellisai Mannar composed for 1500 films. A reasonable guess would be around 600 or at best 750. And, although I mostly differ with RajasaraNam, xml, MrJudge, Sanjeevi and other diehard IR family fans in most of their criticism (of ARR in particular), in this instance I concur with them that the award MUST go to Isaignani Ilayaraja for composing for a record number of films. Please provide evidence to support your observation.

That ILayaraja said what he said about MSV is probably out of respect for Mellisai Mannar and his rare humility manifesting itself. I am sure in his heart of hearts he must believe there is no one to beat him (doesn't he often say that "endha kombanum onnum panna mudiyadhu"?). So we should take his observation with a pinch of the needful.

More to come but I have this question: Who actually composed the song "Ooru sanam thoongiruchu oodha kaathum ..." in that movie Mella thirandhadhu kadhavu which was jointly composed by MSV and IR? I really want to know who composed the memorable tune.

vaidy
24th April 2006, 11:47 AM
wow that was a lengthy observation indeed. remember i told you y'day about my chat session with MSV, it went on very well. y'day evening was one of the greatest for my legend unleashed his magic fingers on his piano with "enne enne varthaigalo" & "unnai orru ketpen". while he continued to play havoc on the piano, i went triiger free with my camera and clicked 12 photographs in a row. had a great time. the other MSV-SPB rarest of rare gem is "nitham nitham" from kootu puzhukkal. someone was talking about numbers and that ir has to be awarded. in my opinion yes for an award to ir for having misguided the hapless listerners of tfm and depriving them of quality music for which mellisai mamannar always remains unique. keep at rest all your inhibitions ir kathadis and start appreciating the creator. you will prosper in your lives

Sanjeevi
24th April 2006, 12:11 PM
The only difference between the Great MSV and others- while the former creates music, the rest direct.

Intha lollu thana vendankirathu, appuram nanga summa irukanumakkum.

Appuram sila ARR fans vanthu kuttaiya kizhapuvanga, athukkum summa irukanumakkum.

I can compre MSV and IR and will list the differences soon.

-------

However, yesterday i saw One (and only) Man Show by IR at Chennai. IR praised MSV once and told about a film songs which contained 1) Pesuvathu Kiliya 2) Veeduvarai Uravu 3) another one (i forget) and all the song has same "santham" or something like that.

S.Balaji
24th April 2006, 12:15 PM
music4ever

Honestly....I dont believe in the number game and I too doubt the magical figure of MSV...

All what I would say is that one has to be judged by how many quality songs that he had composed rather than the numbers......

Indeed it was an amazing run of form during 79 and 80 and 81 when IR composed around 40 movies in a year !
an average of 1 movie per week is really an astonishing feet ....and how much stress he must have undergone those days.....
and its not just to create some record but out of eagerness and self confidence in his abiliities and he did remarkably well....

Most of those movies had lovely songs....

umaramesh
24th April 2006, 02:33 PM
vaidy
Can you just down load the phots which you have taken yesterday?

Balaji: Thanks for the reply you made to APP ENGINE.

We all agree MGR&SHIVAJI dominated the scene but even failure movie songs are still popular. example POONUJAL movie was disaster but MSV songs? sameway can anyone imagine ULAGAM SUTRUM VALIBAN without MSV?

I would like to pointout interview from Bharadwaj . Press reporter was asking about award given to chitra&PA vijay . He pointed out that chitra &vijay did their part well but JUST READ THE LYRICS WITHOUT TUNE. CAN YOU ABLE TO REALIZE THE SAME FEELING WHAT YOU HAVE UNDERGONE WITH MUSIC?

Sameway I am saying songs like NAAN ANNAI ITTAL/ENGAE NIMMADHI/PONAL POGATTUM . forget the tune and orchestra just read the lyrics you will know the difference. MSV just elevated the good scene to super scene. Leave alone shivaji and MGR, msv had long association with directors like balachander/sridhar/KSG/Bhimsingh/Muktha ,v.srinivasan/P.Madhavan/AC.Thirulogachander/etC. (I forgot the director name who did AYRITHIL ORUVAN.MSV DID LOT OF MOVIES WITH HIM ).

I would like to point out that MGR never interfered in ANBE VAA songs as he himself quoted AVM banner will give quality songs. Like this KAVANKARAN songs were composed without MGS as he was recovering after shooting incidence.

It is ridiculos to say that because MSV ASSOCIAED WITH shivaji/MGR/ kannadasan(here they forgot VALLI who gave maximum hit with MSV )able to pull more hits..

To be precise KANNADASN wrote many songs for other music directors but how many of them cameout like what he did with MSV? people might start giving examples but success rate will be higher with MSV . But MSV able to mainain same standard when assoicated with others but without kannadasan /without shivaji/without MGR.

hope APP ENGINE will agree.

APP: you said just concentrate on his works but you people will keep quite if some one says about your favourite music director like HE IS GOD and so on.

ramesh

S.Balaji
24th April 2006, 02:46 PM
Ramesh

nice to read your post. you have echoed what I intended to post.
The director of AO is B R Panthulu I think.
besides I understand even for Ulagam sutrum vaaliban, MGR initially asked MSV to compose 5 type of songs without giving any situation ! and how terrific they are ! evergreen even today
MSV had done movies for K.Shankar, Pa neelakantan , VC guganathan . the list is endless.

Enna APP...unga thalaivarai ( namma IRai ) patri sonna ippadi varindhu kattikondu vareengalay !

vaidy
there is already a thread existing for MSV . I suggest we all move over there .

bye

umaramesh
24th April 2006, 04:54 PM
Balaji
For USV ,MGR just hinted that one song in padagu/one song in ExPO 70/one dream song etc . Just imagine how well the song suited in the sequence and fine aspect is music is still fresh( no one will say boring). Composing was over within ten days with different variety of songs.

Hope people will not say MGR DID THE COMPOSING :lol:

ramesh

S.Balaji
24th April 2006, 04:59 PM
Ramesh

there are knowledgeable friends like Sanjeevi who strongly feel that MSV copied from hindi movies a lot and composed tunes in tamil ! :lol:

its no surprise to me now as msv is also dragged for analysis.

the only point ( so called ) is the numbers game which MSV baitors are so fond of ! :lol:

umaramesh
24th April 2006, 05:07 PM
Balaji
That job was allocated to music director Veda. I think he does not know the difference between inspiration and coping. POO NAAL POOGATTUM VINDUNGA :lol:

RAMESH

umaramesh
24th April 2006, 05:19 PM
To add further KRISHNA GANAM separate album by MSV created record sales during that time (This was disclosed by AVM SARAVANAN during one interview). He further said they not even published advertisement in newspapers/TV's etc. but it reached everyone and even today people use to listen the song wherever it is played.

ramesh

S.Balaji
24th April 2006, 05:25 PM
Ramesh

Krishnaganam lyrics were by Kavignar and the first song is still being used in all light music programmes .... PULAANGUZAL KODUTHA MOONGILGALAY..

and SPB's aayar paadi maligayil is very melodious

I think IR's MALARODU MALARGINRA MANAM VENDUM THAYAY is also very popular

umaramesh
24th April 2006, 05:45 PM
Balaji
Yes that song also quite popular but no one is playing now while comparing to KRISHNAGANAM. My point is MSV songs will be there for EVER but other composers songs will not sustain that much period.

ramesh

vaidy
24th April 2006, 09:37 PM
great to know that all of you have enjoyed krishna ganam. ir's song on mother, in the same album msv has sung a bit.listen to that and you will know that the way msv sings with perfect pronunciation and bhavam......only he is the mc(read music creator) who had given absolute importance not only to lyrics but also to the punctuations. master creator this msv.

app_engine
24th April 2006, 10:57 PM
One long (& ofcourse the last) digression (especially for my friends Balaji & umaramesh)...

Please read my posts carefully, which were mere responses and don't brood too much over it:-) However, typically I post after some thought and do not impulsively respond. Now, please read on...

-Since this is supposed to be a "glorify MSV" thread, why bring in IR (or ARR and others)? avar pugazh pAdinAl pOdhadhA? Why start with a flame? Why not bring everyone together in the attempt to get recognition for MSV from president? Why start dividing - telling others are mere directors whereas he is the only creator? It will definitely irk others who like different musicians more...(`mAmA miyA' vai suttavarukkuppEr 'only creator'? appO who is `ABBA'? )

-Another thing, I take exception to your branding me as one who can ONLY enjoy IR...wrong sir, I enjoy all good music and since I grew with IR's music, that has a special place in my heart...thanks to its power to invoke strong memories of one's life...that's about it...and I don't like to be called anybody's `fan, bakhth' etc, terms I hate:-( Because I NEVER idolize any popular personality...I only look at their works and enjoy or toss...none of them happen to be a role model to me...In fact, in my very first post on this thread I condemned the general TN attitude of overglorifying people!

-We can go on talking about what the "current generation" listens to...However, if they are not listening to 80's IR, neither are they listening to 70's MSV. Period. (Neither the 50's 60's stuff either...) Only people like you and me even bother about those oldies. ippO IOKS'um illa...at least they were torch bearers once upon a time...and who listens to AIR anymore? among all these TV channel noises, those are all lost to only old-timers like us...Funny it may seem, but in any typical urban TN home, audio player - even if it's still in a working condition - typically collects dust. It isn't much different even in rural homes...I'm not sure about the public address stuff (tea shop, bus, marriage halls etc) for the last 3 years when I'm out of country. However, they stopped using the oldies pretty much when I was in TN during 2002-2003, with some rare exceptions...like kunnakkudi's dheivam songs due to its devotional nature and some MGR songs due to their political messages... So no hope there either for `old' songs. (except may be some `malarum ninaivugal' stuff...but you have strong IR presence there too)

-We can keep on harping a lot about `longevity'. Well, if it appeals to you after 30, 40 years, enjoy! Please don't claim that every one in TN still enjoys only that and not others.

-And I find it difficult to agree that even among those who listen to old music, there's a filter only for MSV-TKR. Absolutely not! They always have their collections of thiruviLaiyAdals and thillAna mOganAmbAL's...may be wrongly attributed to MSV by some (even I thought for long that `mannavan vandhAnadi thOzhi' and 'kAdhOdu dhAn nAn pEsuven' were by MSV till I learnt in DF that these were KVM / VK goldies), but it's a fact that there're 100's of numbers by others, which are ever-green...(ofcourse only to people who dwell on music other than "current")

-And I do love 100's of MSV songs, even volunteered in a thread to compile a spreadsheet, should people come up listing them...like I did earlier for IR, compiling a list of 1000 good songs...didn't go much far...people could not even go beyond a couple of 100 songs...while always harping on 1000 plus movies...this is another TN syndrome of exaggerating numbers without giving facts...(That's the thread which music4ever is talking about where I posted on the `bore' of mAn kaNda sorgangaL...a four stanza drag which tested my nerves those days, taking away precious broadcast time)

-oruvaraippughazha innoruvaraiththAzhthuvadhu azhagalla. idhu nAn TFMpage'il katRa oru nalla pAdam, paNbu.

End-digression

Sanjeevi
24th April 2006, 10:59 PM
well said app_engine

S.Balaji
24th April 2006, 11:07 PM
App dear

You know me very well... not even a single alphabet was used by me to say anything negative about IR .
Infact MSV and IR are like irandu kangal. you know how many songs that we must have exchanged our thoughts on this earlier !
I was just analysing the positive strengths of MSV from various angles and got the longevity factor. which I sincerely thought that even the songs of 70s are popular today.. ( see tfm thread for song of the week... there are vivid followers )

MY APOLOGIES IF YOU ARE OFFENDED BY MY POSTS...

Naan thudhi paadavillai . For me , IR gives me fond memories of school days and college days and I cherish every moment of those golden years of IR.... and in particular the 70s of IR as they all have deep impact over me personally.....

Enna romba upset ayuteengalaa App....

app_engine
24th April 2006, 11:39 PM
Don't worry Balaji...you're always positive and I like your postings! It's the very first post of this thread that can irritate anyone:-))

And I'm definitely not upset:-)) There're bigger things in life, illeengaLA? indha discussions ellAmE oru fun thAnE?

Another thing, for longevity aspects, the "tfm thread for song of the week" is the last place you would probably like to quote. Because that's mostly used to bring to light all those `forgotten' songs:-))

Have a good day! (or is it already night in Africa?)

S.Balaji
24th April 2006, 11:42 PM
Thanks App...

its evening 7 pm now in Angola

S.Balaji
24th April 2006, 11:48 PM
enna App...

The ones listed by me earlier ( of the 70s ) . are you saying that very few are listening to them ?

I could see most of those songs in either jaya tv or sun tv ( old songs ) ...

ofcourse, Its loong since I stopped hearing Vanoli since the advent of tv

you are right... the tfm pick of the week is for the forgotten ones !

vijayr
25th April 2006, 04:02 AM
Vaidy, since you get access to MSV on a daily basis, we expect more from you in terms of interesting anecdotes and information on various MSV classics. For example, remind him about his "Rock Rock Rock" song from Pathibakthi, an extremely freakish number for its times. Here is a link I found
http://www.musicindiaonline.com/l/26/s/movie_name.5209/

Ask him as to how he arrived at such a rock'n'roll/carnatic mix for the song and how the recording was done. It would probably get him excited quite a bit.

rajdes
25th April 2006, 10:32 AM
Rajasaranam, naan enge blind-aa accept panninaen ivaroda mathematics-ai? You missed the sarcasm in my post. Thalaivar talked about others not knowing maths while he himself slipped on the 55*15 thingy.I didnt point that out directly but hinted it , avvlavud haan.

The thing is , Idhe claim-ai (Greatest creator) IR-ukko ARR-ukko yaaravvadhu thread start panniyirundha, he would have been discredited by now as a 'fanatic', 'veriyan' etc. MSV-ngaradhunaala, Vaidy still is getting kid gloves treatment.
That too, he claims to have access to MSV so he is being spared hoping that he would shed some information on MSV classics. I , for one, don't believe that - this is just another MSV fanatic, just like the numerous Raja and Rahman fanatics we have here - i dont think he will come up with more than what he has already come up with.
Vaidy, surprise me by discussing MSV's music rather than his greatness, which doesnt need your cheap, blind-fanatic certificate and glistens brightly as a star in the TFM firmament already.

vaidy
25th April 2006, 10:36 AM
Rajasaranam, naan enge blind-aa accept panninaen ivaroda mathematics-ai? You missed the sarcasm in my post. Thalaivar talked about others not knowing maths while he himself slipped on the 55*15 thingy.I didnt point that out directly but hinted it , avvlavud haan.

The thing is , Idhe claim-ai (Greatest creator) IR-ukko ARR-ukko yaaravvadhu thread start panniyirundha, he would have been discredited by now as a 'fanatic', 'veriyan' etc. MSV-ngaradhunaala, Vaidy still is getting kid gloves treatment.
That too, he claims to have access to MSV so he is being spared hoping that he would shed some information on MSV classics. I , for one, don't believe that - this is just another MSV fanatic, just like the numerous Raja and Rahman fanatics we have here - i dont think he will come up with more than what he has already come up with.
Vaidy, surprise me by discussing MSV's music rather than his greatness, which doesnt need your cheap, blind-fanatic certificate and glistens brightly as a star in the TFM firmament already.

all your comments prove beyond any doubt that you belong to a mediocre class of listerners. my best wishes to you and by the way please try to grow up!

vaidy
25th April 2006, 10:51 AM
Vaidy, since you get access to MSV on a daily basis, we expect more from you in terms of interesting anecdotes and information on various MSV classics. For example, remind him about his "Rock Rock Rock" song from Pathibakthi, an extremely freakish number for its times. Here is a link I found

Ask him as to how he arrived at such a rock'n'roll/carnatic mix for the song and how the recording was done. It would probably get him excited quite a bit.

will certainly ask him about that. he is leaving for kuwait today and is back during 1st week of may. by the way one of the hubbers was complaining about our over gloryfying artists in tamilnadu. shall i embarass him with a classic exmaple? - calling ir isaignnani & maestro and what not. what variety of glorification is this??? or was it due to selective amenisia for this seasoned hubber??? I really don't know how many read an article in a tamil daily in which a professor in music has openly challenged ir to come clean with his notes of a symphony that ir claims to have done in UK. please be informed that we are quality listerners and that's the biggest difference between you and us.

rajdes
25th April 2006, 10:53 AM
I agree that MSV deserves a Dadasaheb Phalke atleast. For that matter, so does IR. It is highly unlikely that both will get it. Probably, Rajkumar(Kannada) will get it next year.
Bharat Ratna - I would like to believe that something more than excellence in music field should be the criteria - like, MS got it but we all know the extent of her charitable work and commitment to philanthrophy.

Ofcourse, we can always question what did that Shehnai maestro(forget his name) do other than excel in performing music to deserve Bharat Ratna. If we apply that as the criteria, anyone in India would deserve a Bharat Ratna provided they excel in their field. For example, why MSV, why not Sivaji Ganesan?

umaramesh
25th April 2006, 10:57 AM
However, they stopped using the oldies pretty much when I was in TN during 2002-2003, with some rare exceptions...like kunnakkudi's dheivam songs due to its devotional nature and some MGR songs due to their political messages... So no hope there either for `old' songs. (except may be some `malarum ninaivugal' stuff...but you have strong IR presence there too)

Dear APP

Not at all. This statement clearly shows yo re very much prone to particular MD. couple of weeks back I read under IR thread that only MSV&IR songs are regular in buses&raod side shops.

ramesh

rajdes
25th April 2006, 10:58 AM
vaidy, another classic. I didnt hint a word about my musical preferences and you have already deduced that I belong to a medicore class of listeners. Well, I dont need more proof that you belong to the 'blind fanatic' group. I question you, and not MSV. You dont even understand that.
This is a classic hallmark of the typical fanatic. Good for you if that makes you feel good.
And this...
"please be informed that we are quality listerners and that's the biggest difference between you and us."
Brilliant! You dont even know what I listen to yet you can claim this? What is this "you" and "us" thing? You think I hate MSV? Boy, I heard George Bush needs advisers - you could help him , please apply.

rajdes
25th April 2006, 11:03 AM
Ramesh, our ears listen selectively. We hear what we want to hear. If I have a bias for IR, I would know more of IR songs and recognise only those and end up concluding that IR songs play most in TN. If I have a bias for 'old' 'MGR' songs, I would claim the same for "MGR songs". This is all subjective and do not add an iota of greatness either to MSV or IR. Whether people listen to MSV/IR in the future or not, what they have achieved is great. Only blind fanatics keep repeating that "their" MD is the greatest - and that the others are dust. To me, anyone making such a statement automatically loses his value as a discerning critic/participant in this forum.
Like I said, it is easy to ridicule such statements when they are made in favour of IR or ARR. But when it is MSV,
somehow, there is a holy cow factor and the perpetrator doesnt get ridiculed by the "neutral" people. Ofcourse, fans of other MD's do question - that doesnt count for much because of their reputation:-)

S.Balaji
25th April 2006, 12:28 PM
Vaidy and others

MSV undoubtedly is a genius. However when we analyse on how can he get Bharat ratna, IMO, he should have performed well at national level.
Again, I am not saying that he was incapable but he didnt have enough chances to prove himself in another languages ...else as a dedicated and gifted composer, he would have excelled in other languages as well ( other than telugu, kannada and Malayalam )

when MSV's name is not known to other States, how would you expect Dr. Kalam to give Bharat Ratna .

Remember , those who got it were not ordinary mortals. ( how MGR got it is another issue as it was coincided with his support to IPKF during their operations )

Definitely MSV deserves a national award for his outstanding contribution to music but I wonder whether he will get Bharat Ratna

S.Balaji
25th April 2006, 12:32 PM
Like I said, it is easy to ridicule such statements when they are made in favour of IR or ARR. But when it is MSV,
somehow, there is a holy cow factor and the perpetrator doesnt get ridiculed by the "neutral" people. Ofcourse, fans of other MD's do question - that doesnt count for much because of their reputation:-)

Rajdes

MSV has reached such levels in life and hence he automatically deserves that respect and honour.....why his followers are taking a shelter out of it is a question mark to me as well
anyway, this blind worshipping is something to shun

vaidy
25th April 2006, 01:11 PM
abdul kalam may not know msv??? first of all please understand, the state of TN will welcome anyone whether anyone knows the language. the same is not the case with the hindi film world. if thet md's feel that our guys don't pronounce the words, they'll never get a chance. how many tamil singers do we know who shone in the hindi except for spb (not anymore now i guess) and yesudoss? have you all heard udit narayan singing tamizh? hats off to those who glorify these new generation mds. vandharai vazhavaikkum tamizhnadu, vandhorai poga vaikkum vada nadu! one of the main reasons for msv not hitting the hindi as we would all loved to is mainly the attitude of the north not to let the south penetrate that easily. if you all still want an opinion msv then please contact Naushad ali. he'll say it all. I listened to an intervie by another brillian composer B.A. Chidambaranathan, who clearly says that he is not averse to changes but the changes are mixed with so much of only noise and not voice. no one knows the lyrics. isn't it a clear detereoration in the quality of music? how many of us could sleep during night listening to new songs? by the way another great composer i have liked is mb srinivasan. "eriyile oru kashmir roja" a great number. regarding bharat ratna for msv, the indian government generally awards only posthumously. it is a pity that MSV who has done and who's still doing so much for the indian music, should only given the bharat ratna for there are a lot with other awards but for a classy mc he is, only bharat ratna is the answer and nothing else or less. i know i am being envied by a lot of other md's fans which i can't help. long live msv's immortal tunes. may some sense prevail amongst listeners. i don't blame them for they know what their md's worth is all about!!!

vaidy
25th April 2006, 01:25 PM
I agree that MSV deserves a Dadasaheb Phalke atleast. For that matter, so does IR. It is highly unlikely that both will get it. Probably, Rajkumar(Kannada) will get it next year.
Bharat Ratna - I would like to believe that something more than excellence in music field should be the criteria - like, MS got it but we all know the extent of her charitable work and commitment to philanthrophy.

Ofcourse, we can always question what did that Shehnai maestro(forget his name) do other than excel in performing music to deserve Bharat Ratna. If we apply that as the criteria, anyone in India would deserve a Bharat Ratna provided they excel in their field. For example, why MSV, why not Sivaji Ganesan?

the shenai maestro is none other than the great Bismilla Khan. Listen to his in a movie song from Kannada film Sanadi Apanna. an interesting encounter between MSV and Bismilla Khan in Bombay. Bismilla plays the shehnai bit in "alayamaniyan osaiyay nan ketten" and MSV says what more could a person ask for. regarding the contribution of musicians, the classical musicians revolve around singing the same ragas and their ability to innovate is limited. whereas musicians like msv have done wonders and given new dimensions to classical ragas. that way he surely deserves a bharat ratna.

umaramesh
25th April 2006, 02:20 PM
Hi

Talking about awards MGR got best actor award :lol: for RIKSHAKARAN.when shivaji was at his peak.

Better not to get award from our Govt.

Rajdes: I just want's to convey that there are quite number of followers for old music and will be there in future also.
. To prove statistically I had been to discount sales exhibition for Cd's/VCd's(every six months or so) and found most of the old songs CD's sold out. This is regular feature for every year. We cannot just say 'NO HOPE' kind of statment.

You just go throgh the posting of IR fans. They will proclaim that he is THE ONLY MUSIC DIRECTOR/GOD OF MUSIC./ISAI GNANI/MAESTRO etc. This trend started only by IR fans. Beofre that we never heard these kind blind worship.

blind worshipping is something to shun

Balaji: This statement applicable to other side.

ramesh.

vaidy
25th April 2006, 02:38 PM
Hi

Talking about awards MGR got best actor award :lol: for RIKSHAKARAN.when shivaji was at his peak.

Better not to get award from our Govt.

Rajdes: I just want's to convey that there are quite number of followers for old music and will be there in future also.
. To prove statistically I had been to discount sales exhibition for Cd's/VCd's(every six months or so) and found most of the old songs CD's sold out. This is regular feature for every year. We cannot just say 'NO HOPE' kind of statment.

You just go throgh the posting of IR fans. They will proclaim that he is THE ONLY MUSIC DIRECTOR/GOD OF MUSIC./ISAI GNANI/MAESTRO etc. This trend started only by IR fans. Beofre that we never heard these kind blind worship.

blind worshipping is something to shun

Balaji: This statement applicable to other side.

ramesh.

absolutely right. as rightly pointed out by you, gnani, maestro are words added to tfm after 1977 (annakkili). call anyone by any name you want but ensure before that whether he is worth that title. i have been a veru regular visitor to most of the cd shops in chennai but most the cds sell out-the old ones ofcourse. bottmline fact - the old is here to stay and remain immortal irrespective of the invasion of gnanis & puyals. listen to kanni vendhuma kavidai vendhuma, katru vandhal thalai sayum nanal- classy piano dominating numbers. show me a piece like this.

rra
25th April 2006, 03:02 PM
App_engine: Some of your points are well made but I find it intriguing that no more than a couple of hundred of "good" songs of MSv could be reported when you offered to compile such a list. Of course "good' is a relative term. But I just started writing down some of the major hits of MSv in the sixties (of course many of which had the contribution of TKR as well) such as Pa-series, Karnan, some MGR films, Sridhar films etc. which had a large number of very good songs and within a couple of minutes I could list about 35 movies which could easily provide 200+ songs. Thus while the estimate of 1000+ movies could be grossly exaggerated so could the other extreme of not even a couple of hundred songs, in the other direction though.
RRA

rajdes
25th April 2006, 04:31 PM
Ramesh,
Point is taken. I dont challenge that MSV is a great genius or that old songs have takers. But the fact is you cannot measure in numbers whether IR or MSV is greater by the no. of cassettes sold, compilations made etc. As far as this forum goes, HCIRF's are quite notorious and dont enjoy any great credibility. Ditto with HCARRF's. Vaidy here is just the MSV side of the same coin.
Only a fool out of his mind would say MSV doesnt deserve his Mellisai mannar title or that he doesnt deserve a Dadasaheb Phalke award.
Same goes for any fool who says IR doesnt deserve his titles or a dadasaheb phalke.
MSV is great. So is IR. Anyone taking sides and denigrating one or the other is to be scoffed at. If someone scoffs at IR fanatics/ARR fanatics, but decides to ignore a MSV fanatic, in my book, that is called bias/partiality.

And what is this with Bharat Ratna. Excellence in Movie field is recognised by Dadasaheb Phalke. To honour with Bharat Ratna, one should have greater credentials than just excellence in Movie field. Ofcourse, cases like MGR will happen due to political expediency but that doesnt mean that anyone who has greater merit than MGR should get Bharat Ratna.
Neither IR nor MSV, in my opinion, deserve a Bharat Ratna yet.

vaidy
25th April 2006, 04:36 PM
i am in the process of collecting the movie list. your observation of good songs numbering 200???? grossly wrong. thousands of them. the role of tkr while the duo performed together mostly had tkr looking after the orchestration part while msv concentrated on lyrics and composing. MSV as an individual has alo tuned some great numbers. to name a few, payanam, vazhvu enn pakkam, nool veli, etc. if you will notice tkr could not make it all alone is a different story.

rajdes
25th April 2006, 04:43 PM
Ramesh, if that No Hope statement bugged you, I can see why.
I dont think App meant it offensively. it was just an observation - and one may say, if it is true, then very sad. If the current generation doesnt listen to MSV, then bad luck , the loser is the current generation. But that is how things will be. I dont think it is an insult to MSV - even if it is true that his albums dont sell like hot cakes any more. Who is the loser there?

And dont worry about blind IR fanatics and their statements - they dont have any credibility here. Why should that bother you?
And as far as your claim that there were no blind worshippers before IR-fans, I object strongly. Proof?
Vaidy, ofcourse.

rajdes
25th April 2006, 04:45 PM
vaidy, sari MSV has thousands of great songs. Unmai.Podhuma? What are you trying to prove? And to whom? Ask yourself that question. And dont ever bother to compile a list, your list of good songs will never match with someone else's. Idhu puriyalaina, you surely have NO HOPE!

vaidy
25th April 2006, 04:50 PM
Ramesh,
Point is taken. I dont challenge that MSV is a great genius or that old songs have takers. But the fact is you cannot measure in numbers whether IR or MSV is greater by the no. of cassettes sold, compilations made etc. As far as this forum goes, HCIRF's are quite notorious and dont enjoy any great credibility. Ditto with HCARRF's. Vaidy here is just the MSV side of the same coin.
Only a fool out of his mind would say MSV doesnt deserve his Mellisai mannar title or that he doesnt deserve a Dadasaheb Phalke award.
Same goes for any fool who says IR doesnt deserve his titles or a dadasaheb phalke.
MSV is great. So is IR. Anyone taking sides and denigrating one or the other is to be scoffed at. If someone scoffs at IR fanatics/ARR fanatics, but decides to ignore a MSV fanatic, in my book, that is called bias/partiality.

And what is this with Bharat Ratna. Excellence in Movie field is recognised by Dadasaheb Phalke. To honour with Bharat Ratna, one should have greater credentials than just excellence in Movie field. Ofcourse, cases like MGR will happen due to political expediency but that doesnt mean that anyone who has greater merit than MGR should get Bharat Ratna.
Neither IR nor MSV, in my opinion, deserve a Bharat Ratna yet.

thogh Dadasaheb Phalke is the highest award in the cine field, we the devotees of MSV feel he should get the highest civilian award for there are too many kalai mamanis, padma vibhushans, padmashris and so on, whose awards are invariably associated with some political connection or other. We want a very few Bharat Ratnas without politics you see. Our MSV has worked with Annadurai,Karunanidhi, MGR, Jayalalitha and with all of them he only spoke the language of music and not politics. It is absolutely imperative to mention here that if MSV had taken alligiance to any of the political outfits in India, all these awards would have reached him long time back. Our man is a clean man who knows no politics but music and just music

vaidy
25th April 2006, 05:05 PM
vaidy, sari MSV has thousands of great songs. Unmai.Podhuma? What are you trying to prove? And to whom? Ask yourself that question. And dont ever bother to compile a list, your list of good songs will never match with someone else's. Idhu puriyalaina, you surely have NO HOPE!

ruthless, pitiless but factual

Those who enjoy to MSV's can never enjoy other music. Those enjoy other music can never understand MSV and that's it.

MADDY
25th April 2006, 08:02 PM
bharat ratna for MSV?? :shock: ......

rajdes
25th April 2006, 08:44 PM
"Those who enjoy to MSV's can never enjoy other music. Those enjoy other music can never understand MSV and that's it"

Spoken like a true fanatic!

You may not enjoy non-MSV music. That doesnt mean other MSV fans don't. And, hey, there are people who dont evalauate music throught he PRISM of their favourite MD's.

You really have a chip on your shoulder, sir! Athai free-ya vudunga, Life will be more enjoyable !

S.Balaji
25th April 2006, 09:00 PM
Rajdes

a request to you

avoid making personal attacks with circasm.

bye

vaidy ....slowly you are only getting emotional and sensitive......
the fact that msv is a genius need not be glorified by you as well know about him well
just becuase you have some interaction with him of late doesnt make you the most ideal person to judge about MSV

If you have more strong reasons to justify your claims for bharat ratna, present it....

IMO, Barath ratna is given for various reasons not just excelling in one aspect ....

again it doesnt undermine MSV's greatness...

for him now awards mean little....

FOR MSV IF ANY ONE SAYS VANNAKKAM AND REMEMBERS HIS PRECIOUS SONGS, HE WILL BE THE HAPPIEST...

I was one of those fortunate guys to speak to him for 10 minutes along with my mother and I can never forget those memorable moments in my life

dinesh2002
25th April 2006, 09:17 PM
no offense...im a big fan of ARR...[i mean...everyone who is here knows that hahahhah :lol:] but i enjoy MSV's songs.... its so beautiful....many great scores of his just sticks to my heart...esp the tracks in Anbe Vaa....even i enjoy IRs,YSRs,VSs,Devas,etc etc.... this FAN thing is just the majority of fav in 1 person...not a SOCIETY to hate other mds or thier songs!!!

vijayr
25th April 2006, 10:41 PM

Rajdes, Vaidy has been taken care of, has been admonished by several posters here, including you. He looks like a newbie and clueless about the posting trends in TFMDF. If he hasnt learnt from this experience or isnt willing to, his posts with offensive tone will be ignored just like HC fans of any other MD's. So dont get so worked up about it. Being someone who has been around here quite a while and having also suggested to me in the past threads to learn to ignore HCFs, now you have fallen into the same trap and have been indulging with Vaidy in a verbal war which will lead you to nowhere. (See how difficult it must have been for me then, when I had 4 or 5 Vaidys pouncing on me for every post I made in those threads? :-) )Also, if you are expecting the TFM Mod(whom I think you are referring to as "neutral" posters because I dont see anyone else walking around here calling themselves as "neutral" or "unbiased" nor can there be anyone truly neutral- this is something which you, me and Scale discussed in another thread, I hope you remember)to intervene more strongly I guess they just missed out on this thread or they dont have the patience to deal with every Tom, Dick or Vaidy who pop up in dime a dozen threads every day. But I dont see any holy cow factor or any intentional bias from them towards MSV or other MDs. The Mods have been generally consistent. Nor do I think Vaidy got the kid gloves treatment like you are claiming. Most posters like Vaidy who idolate their MDS while putting down other fans havent gotten away in TFMDF scotfree.
If the Mods dont catch him then other fans would and thats what has happened here.
So your observation of MSV getting a preferential treatment might not be accurate, just your perception. Maybe you feel that way because majority of the new posters here in this hub belong to the IR/ARR/YSR camp and end up beating up on each other. Whereas MSV's(and other old MD's) fan representation in this forum is minimal and they mostly seem to indulge in harmless discussion amongst themselves(Vaidy might be the exception). In other words, MSV is mostly a "non-controversial" figure around here.

MusicIsLife
26th April 2006, 12:18 AM
Vaidy,
Come on stop this, you are provoking people by saying you are a quality listener and somebody else is not. this is crap.
Just because you dont like the new trends doesnot mean that you are classy, and sets you apart, and that coz you have access to MSV or listening to MSV it does not make you any greater to comment about tastes of people.

Let me come comment on certain things:
Music is my opinion is very much has a special place on what you hear the most when you grow up. I grew up with IR music so it will have a special place in my heart.
I love MSV's classic, IR's great music, ARR's phenomenal difference, and now YSR's mixing MKT's music with Theepidika Theepidika was fantastic (and also more YSR's recent music from specific movies are simply gr8).

Talking about titles like Maestro and Isaignani conferred on IR, it also applies to Mellisai Mannar, Isaipuyal and such. so we dont need to bother about titles.

If anybody has to talk about MSV, I would like to mention about Ninaithale Inikkum that was an awesome piece of compilation

Not to belittle MKT, KVM, MD Ramanathan and others, they were fine music creators(apart from directors ha ha).

If you truly start talking about creations, we should go back to Thayagraja swami, Muthuswami Dikshithar, Shyama Shastri, Papanasam Sivam, Balamurali Krishna and others. (dont pounce on me for not mentioning Bethoven, Mozarts and others). I was staying more local.

Charles Barkley, Sean Connery were knighted by the Queen!! so i think MSV also requires greater recognition just to remind the new generation to realise that there were people who lived on principles and focus on certain things, Bharath Ratna?? I cannot fathom, probably we should start by giving Dr. Abdul Kalam, Bharathiyar, Bharathidasan, Gandhi, Chandrasekhar Bharath Ratna awards to start with.

rajasaranam
26th April 2006, 01:36 AM
hi MIL :wave: how are you :)

rajdes,
sorry I overlooked the sarcasm in your post. :( When i read it now it made sense :twisted:

rajasaranam
26th April 2006, 01:57 AM
vaidy tanks por da humour you are providing :lol:
please let's nominate MSV for nobel music prize. if there is no such category we will ask them to create one and demand that MSV should be given the phirsst 8-)

Shankar
26th April 2006, 11:40 AM
etho voru magazine illa. TIMES Magazine.

boo bu boo, rubu boo :poke:

Googling, few more

A.R.Rahman at CBSO (City of Birmingham Symphony Orchestra)

On 5-6 March the world-famous music composer, A.R.Rahman, conducted the CBSO (City of Birmingham Symphony Orchestra) of Bollywood blockbusters including his own themes from Bombay, Roja, Taal, Dil Se, Warriors of Heaven and Earth and the Oscar-nominated Lagaan. The concert was titled "Hooray for Bollywood".

The CBSO (City of Birmingham Symphony Orchestra) is widely considered one of Europe's finest orchestras.

The orchestra started with the remarks "Tonight we have a very special guest who has been topping charts for over a decade and the World wide sales of his work exceeding more than 40 million more than the sales of Madonna and Britney Spears put together. Ladies and gentlemen please welcome the hugely popular and very talented, A.R.RAHMAN."

Rahman's appearance at Symphony Hall is believed to have pulled in what is believed to be the largest ever non-white audience for a mainstream British orchestra. Delighted orchestra executives say the demand for seats was so high, they could have sold three times as many seats as they did.

Scale,
Just helping you with more links....

http://in.rediff.com/movies/2004/apr/24rahman.htm

Rahman being a humble guy had just this to say...

"Rahman's confession -- "I messed it up. Will come next time with much more preparation" -- does not redeem him at all."

Shankar
26th April 2006, 12:11 PM
Balaji
Yes that song also quite popular but no one is playing now while comparing to KRISHNAGANAM. My point is MSV songs will be there for EVER but other composers songs will not sustain that much period.

ramesh

(IMHO)
that's the problem with you people....ungaLukku ellAm forever nA neenga mattum nu dhAn ninaippu....To me "paruvamE pudhiya pAdal" and "vizhiyil vizhundu idhayam nuzhaindhu" will live FOREVER ! and for balaji it could be "RagangaL 16" and for maddy and dinesh it could be "pudhu veLLai mazhai"....popularity by no means define the quality of the song....It's a good thing to add an 'IMHO' before you make such sweeping statements to stay away from controversies :-)

Shankar
26th April 2006, 12:17 PM

will certainly ask him about that. he is leaving for kuwait today and is back during 1st week of may. by the way one of the hubbers was complaining about our over gloryfying artists in tamilnadu. shall i embarass him with a classic exmaple? - calling ir isaignnani & maestro and what not. what variety of glorification is this??? or was it due to selective amenisia for this seasoned hubber??? I really don't know how many read an article in a tamil daily in which a professor in music has openly challenged ir to come clean with his notes of a symphony that ir claims to have done in UK. please be informed that we are quality listerners and that's the biggest difference between you and us.

Yow...modhalla pOi andha prof solradhula edhavadhu sense irukka nu check paNNittu inga vandhu kural vudunga...quality listeners nu neengaLE muththtirai kuthikkitta nAnga accept paNnovOmA ?(like your weird stats of 1800 movies)...MSV ai nAn madhikkirEn...AnA ungaLai mAdhiri vethu vEttukkellAm Rajdes' response romba diplomatic nu solluvEn :-)

umaramesh
26th April 2006, 12:29 PM
Hi Rajasaranam

I am nominating IR name also on behalf of you.

ramesh :poke:

umaramesh
26th April 2006, 12:44 PM
Friends

Lets stop this comparison. As rightly pointed out by Balaji ,MSV is such a simple man and non controversial . we should not drag his name by the name of fan.

Shankar: What I meant here is "QUIET OFTEN PLAYED"(in public or private function). I am not commenting on your personal taste.

ramesh

Hulkster
26th April 2006, 12:47 PM
Aiyo arambichithaanga pa...IR vs ARR prachanai thaanga mudiyulae eppo IR vs MSV prachanai.

Do you guys know how much respect IR has for MSV? IR thinks of MSV as even greater than him and his own guru. MSV himself believes IR is the most complex MD in India in terms of compositions. Of cause both of them share many similarities with IR more prevalent in Jazz,WCM and other types of world music while MSV has a penchant for contemporary indian rhythms like IR's fave song Malai poluthin mayakkathilae.

Both Musicians are class and although IR is slightly better than MSV..there have been certain songs where MSV has given which is yet to be beaten whereas IR has mastered the guitar to such a extent where nobody can beat him. This fight can go on and on as MSV fans and IR fans will keep on hitting with support and all articles to prove their idol's success but the thing is we all should appreciate God for gifting us with two excellent musicians who have deep respect for each other. Instead of quarrelling over the facts and deciding who is better...why not we listen to both musician's songs and enjoy them as a marking tribute to both of them.

If all of you still continue arguing past this post...i seriously dunnot know what to say and btw im a IR fan.

(PS. anybody else likes KVM's songs?..im a fan of his raaga usage in his film songs.)

Sanjeevi
26th April 2006, 12:53 PM
Dear uma ramesh,

i think your ear does not hear while listening non-MSV songs in public or private function :lol:

Please watch Sundays music programmes like Subtha Swarangal (Sun), Ragamaliga (Jeya) and some other programmes. And also try to listen Suriyan FM, Radio Mirchy.

vaidy
26th April 2006, 01:19 PM

Rajdes, Vaidy has been taken care of, has been admonished by several posters here, including you. He looks like a newbie and clueless about the posting trends in TFMDF. If he hasnt learnt from this experience or isnt willing to, his posts with offensive tone will be ignored just like HC fans of any other MD's. So dont get so worked up about it. Being someone who has been around here quite a while and having also suggested to me in the past threads to learn to ignore HCFs, now you have fallen into the same trap and have been indulging with Vaidy in a verbal war which will lead you to nowhere. (See how difficult it must have been for me then, when I had 4 or 5 Vaidys pouncing on me for every post I made in those threads? :-) )Also, if you are expecting the TFM Mod(whom I think you are referring to as "neutral" posters because I dont see anyone else walking around here calling themselves as "neutral" or "unbiased" nor can there be anyone truly neutral- this is something which you, me and Scale discussed in another thread, I hope you remember)to intervene more strongly I guess they just missed out on this thread or they dont have the patience to deal with every Tom, Dick or Vaidy who pop up in dime a dozen threads every day. But I dont see any holy cow factor or any intentional bias from them towards MSV or other MDs. The Mods have been generally consistent. Nor do I think Vaidy got the kid gloves treatment like you are claiming. Most posters like Vaidy who idolate their MDS while putting down other fans havent gotten away in TFMDF scotfree.
If the Mods dont catch him then other fans would and thats what has happened here.
So your observation of MSV getting a preferential treatment might not be accurate, just your perception. Maybe you feel that way because majority of the new posters here in this hub belong to the IR/ARR/YSR camp and end up beating up on each other. Whereas MSV's(and other old MD's) fan representation in this forum is minimal and they mostly seem to indulge in harmless discussion amongst themselves(Vaidy might be the exception). In other words, MSV is mostly a "non-controversial" figure around here.

you all calling me emotional???

vaidy
26th April 2006, 01:22 PM
Vaidy,
Come on stop this, you are provoking people by saying you are a quality listener and somebody else is not. this is crap.
Just because you dont like the new trends doesnot mean that you are classy, and sets you apart, and that coz you have access to MSV or listening to MSV it does not make you any greater to comment about tastes of people.

Music is my opinion is very much has a special place on what you hear the most when you grow up. I grew up with IR music so it will have a special place in my heart.
I love MSV's classic, IR's great music, ARR's phenomenal difference, and now YSR's mixing MKT's music with Theepidika Theepidika was fantastic (and also more YSR's recent music from specific movies are simply gr8).

Talking about titles like Maestro and Isaignani conferred on IR, it also applies to Mellisai Mannar, Isaipuyal and such. so we dont need to bother about titles.

If anybody has to talk about MSV, I would like to mention about Ninaithale Inikkum that was an awesome piece of compilation

Not to belittle MKT, KVM, MD Ramanathan and others, they were fine music creators(apart from directors ha ha).

If you truly start talking about creations, we should go back to Thayagraja swami, Muthuswami Dikshithar, Shyama Shastri, Papanasam Sivam, Balamurali Krishna and others. (dont pounce on me for not mentioning Bethoven, Mozarts and others). I was staying more local.

Charles Barkley, Sean Connery were knighted by the Queen!! so i think MSV also requires greater recognition just to remind the new generation to realise that there were people who lived on principles and focus on certain things, Bharath Ratna?? I cannot fathom, probably we should start by giving Dr. Abdul Kalam, Bharathiyar, Bharathidasan, Gandhi, Chandrasekhar Bharath Ratna awards to start with.

calling me emotional????????

rajasaranam
26th April 2006, 02:38 PM
Hi Rajasaranam
I am nominating IR name also on behalf of you.
ramesh :poke:
Thanks but get the permission from vaidy if you can do that or not. else he may get angry for you to keep 'Raja' in the same league of MSV :P

Nakeeran
26th April 2006, 03:09 PM
Ennappa Rajasaranam ippadi immatureda behave panra ! You also get provoked easily by some stupid comments. dont worry raja is raja eppavum dhaan raja netru illai naalai illai

all. stop this stupid arguments . msv doesnt need a vaithy to justify a barath ratna.

vaithy you have been portraying from begg that you have met him etc . just need a photo of yours with him to justify your claim

Shankar
26th April 2006, 03:11 PM
Vaidy,

calling me emotional????????

kaNdupidichitteengaLA !! Full marks to you and JK tyres.

rajasaranam
26th April 2006, 03:56 PM
Ennappa Rajasaranam ippadi immatureda behave panra ! You also get provoked easily by some stupid comments. dont worry raja is raja eppavum dhaan raja netru illai naalai illai

all. stop this stupid arguments . msv doesnt need a vaithy to justify a barath ratna.

vaithy you have been portraying from begg that you have met him etc . just need a photo of yours with him to justify your claim

Keerarey :)

It was not us who started all this. We just started off asking for the credibility of mr.Vaidy's claim of MSV 1800+ movies compositions. But since he was not able to provide that he started ridiculing and degenerating 'Raja'. Even then it never provoked me We kept asking for what we wanted... and I also gave him a clue that if he is not able to provide it 'well and good' he can continue with discussion on the everlasting gems and classics of MSV. But he resented to it and kept on bragging about something or the other serving no purpose to anyone. Hence we too decided to have some fun over here :)
Arent we entitled to have some fun when the likes of vaidy and ramesh exists :huh:

Iam ready to stop all this nonsense If vaidy posts his experiences with MSV. what they talk about. has msv shared some memorable events in his life. what are his musical preferences/inclination. does he like the current trend of music [not vaidy ].
there are many more things Vaidy could have done to this thread but it turned out to be another garbage in the cyberspace. hope he realises this and correct atleast now.

umaramesh
26th April 2006, 04:17 PM
Arent we entitled to have some fun when the likes of vaidy and ramesh exists

Raja

Go ahead. we will have a fun. OH. I forgot about that.
Vaidy:please validate my statement. We need to recommed IR also for the award. :lol:

ramesh

jaiganes
26th April 2006, 04:29 PM
Idhenna Galaatta?
I will also join the party!!

I nominate Dhenisai Dendral Devaa for Rharat Batna Award!!! :lol:
The award to be given away by Jarris Hayraj!!!

Sanjeevi
26th April 2006, 04:38 PM
jaiganes :rotfl:

rajasaranam
26th April 2006, 04:56 PM
JG :lol:

ramesh ARR fans kochikka poraanga Appadiyae IR oda serthu ARR'kkum Oru Noble music prize'kku nominate pannunga...
ofcourse vaidy thaan validate pannanum :roll:

umaramesh
26th April 2006, 05:14 PM
Raja
I think you are putting me into trouble. Nomination is over.
SABAI KALAIKA PATTHATHU :thumbsup:

RAMESH

jaiganes
26th April 2006, 05:20 PM
:plock sound: one soda zooom
and a gulp...
Then...

Thalaivaru UmaRameshu dhaanugo....

rajasaranam
26th April 2006, 05:21 PM
ramesh,

But Vaidy hasnt validated yet naa... :(
So till that time we can keep nominating :)

umaramesh
26th April 2006, 05:31 PM
SODA SAPPITA THALIVAR VAZHGA. :lol:

MusicIsLife
26th April 2006, 06:51 PM
Vaidy,
I did not call you emotional, probably you dont have the patience to read through the post. Second of all you are the one who said, you are the so called QAULTIY LISTENER and Others are not, Please try and reply to facts or take a little time to understand the opinions. I can understand how your emotions flare up coz of the closeness to MSV, that is natural and is actually good.

But if your claims clouds facts and truth, then there is no point in talking.

Shankar:
unga comment puriyalai, vaidy enna kandupidicharnnu paratareenga.

Probably Vaidy also considers you to be "NON-QUALITY" Listener. Intha TFM DF-le vaidy + MSV rasigargal (that vaidy has listed) thavira ellorum summa music pathi onnum theiryadhu.

RS,MADDY
Nice to see you again after a long time, thanks for posting some sense into people.

MusicIsLife
26th April 2006, 06:55 PM
Shankar
Athoda vaidy, Ninaithale inikum pathi oru comment kooda sollalai partheengala?
I would love to know more Ninaithale Inikum if he ever gets to talk to MSV regarding this.
That was one album which has reall ranchy British style Metal-Blues feel.

Nakeeran
26th April 2006, 07:18 PM
Vaidy

rajasaranam is right . why dont you share with us all your experiences with MSV and enlighten us on various terrific songs he composed . now i doubt whether you really met him ? you are yet to bring out the photos

rajdes
27th April 2006, 11:32 AM
I should state very clearly that I dont think that the moderators have failed to moderate Vaidy. They are doing a fine job and I dont expect them to intervene here - heck, thats what I have done on their behalf. Been around long enough and seen RR, Ramki and co in action for more than 8 years to even harbour such thoughts.
vijay, your point about MSV fans/opponents being few in number hence not much derision for MSV fanatics makes sense.
vaidy reminds me of a certain entity named "ARR Fan", circa 1998, who did his best to defame ARR here by making ridiculous claims about ARR and throwing as much mud as possible on other MD's. I should admit that when you are a relatively newbie hubber, it is FUN when such entities are around though you learn to moderate yourself when you spend more time out here.

rajdes
27th April 2006, 11:36 AM
Okay, leaving this all aside, vaidy DOES claim to have access to MSV. For that one reason, his exaggerations can be ignored and tolerated IF he can really talk to MSV on his music and post it here.
Sriram Laxman has done it before so it should really be possible. If you can do that, I dont mind admitting that I am not as much a quality listener as you - if that gives you satisfaction, I would trade it happily for more information on MSV.

MusicIsLife
27th April 2006, 07:02 PM
Rajdes,
I guess some of us long time tfm dfer's have become newbie's after the site move and not posting for sometime.

vijayr
27th April 2006, 09:24 PM
rajdes, if you think the Mods are doing a fine job, then I wonder who are those "neutral" people you kept talking about, whom you think were'nt admonishing Vaidy enough and were giving preferential treatment to HCMSV fans like Vaidy. If you were referring to any of us, just step up and give a list of names directly, I am curious to know who is "neutral" amongst us :-)

genesis
27th April 2006, 11:17 PM
For a long time lot of us were waiting for a topic like this!!! What a wonderful community we have here!!

Enjoy every bit of it Boys!!

Shankar
28th April 2006, 11:13 AM
Shankar
Athoda vaidy, Ninaithale inikum pathi oru comment kooda sollalai partheengala?
I would love to know more Ninaithale Inikum if he ever gets to talk to MSV regarding this.
That was one album which has reall ranchy British style Metal-Blues feel.

I would not have posted here had he just shared whatever he discusses with MSV...Not everyone is fortunate to know an MD personally...So, he should be focussing on his discussions with MSV and MSV's take on his own compositions and that of other composers...I think most of us want to know what MSV feels about things, and NOT what vaidy thinks...This guy just labels others as morons and calls himself a quality listener (his only claim to fame being his proximity to MSV) ! That's the only beef I have with him. Otherwise, I too read all his posts on MSV with the same enthu as Balaji/Ramesh !!

Weird stats like "1800 movies"..."why is Raja called gnani when he's not" are unwarranted, and take it from me, he'll be whipped for all such posts by some of us here (what sayst thou, RS ??) :-)

Personally, I feel NinaithalE inikkum was a better album compared to Priya. This ,IMO, was the only instance when a Raja album was completely overshadowed by an MSV album (well, don't start another argument, folks :-)...if someone is offended I apologize right away :-) )

S.Balaji
28th April 2006, 12:37 PM
Shankar

if you have time, pl visit a thread under Current topics : appreciating nice picturisation of great songs .....

wherein we have discussed so many songs of IR and MSV and their nuances. You will realise then about what IR composed in the 70s and 80s .....

I admire both IR and MSV ........

Dont be under the impression that you are the only one to know about IR and his music !!

infact I entered in TFM by searching for the unique song Thaamtha theemtha ....from Pagalil oru iravu ( i wonder you are aware of this song ! ) and it says how I much admire IR ........

Any way, I realise that you are one of those so called IR followers who know little about IR but project before others that you are one !

keep it up mate !

Shankar
28th April 2006, 02:29 PM
Shankar

if you have time, pl visit a thread under Current topics : appreciating nice picturisation of great songs .....

wherein we have discussed so many songs of IR and MSV and their nuances. You will realise then about what IR composed in the 70s and 80s .....

I admire both IR and MSV ........

Dont be under the impression that you are the only one to know about IR and his music !!

infact I entered in TFM by searching for the unique song Thaamtha theemtha ....from Pagalil oru iravu ( i wonder you are aware of this song ! ) and it says how I much admire IR ........

Any way, I realise that you are one of those so called IR followers who know little about IR but project before others that you are one !

keep it up mate !

I never said I am the only one to know Raja's music...All I am saying I too know Raja's music.....to you thaamtha theemtha may be a rare song of Raja...But i've grown up with such songs...and I am not surprised by your knowing that song at all....Almost any Raja fan worth his claim would know it...My std question...have you listened to EVK ? :-) If your answer is NO, then you don't know Raja. Period.

If you think i know little about Raja, well, then "kaNNai mmoddikkoNda poonai" gjnabagam dhAn varadhu enakku....

btw, adpi nAn enna sonnEnnu en mEla paayareenga neenga...Just curious :-)

Shankar
28th April 2006, 02:32 PM
>>>>>>>>>
<<<<<<<<<<

If you have been a regular visitor to this DF from 97, you will automatically get to know a lot about Raja, anyway :-)

Nakeeran
28th April 2006, 02:33 PM
Shankar

empaa unnai patree edhu sonaaalum ippadi kochikaray....

leave it ....he must be an old guy knowing more than you :oops:

thumburu
28th April 2006, 02:33 PM
Shankar, even I have felt "Ninaithaale inikkum" was a tad better than Priya. But for me, "Ullaasa paravaigaL", another foreign locale film which got released around the same time superseded "Ninaithaale inikkum"

Shankar
28th April 2006, 04:21 PM
Shankar

Nakkeerare,
Vaidy MSV ai patri mattum sonnAl Balaji pOnra MSV fan aLavukku nAnum santhOsha paduvEnnu, avarai pathi positive tone sonnadhukku En ippadi kOchukkarArnu enakku puriyalai...mElum oru apologies disclaimer vEra pOttirundhEn...adhayum meeri nAn oru imposter engira mAdhiri sonnadhu sariyAga padavillai....ellAthukkum mEla enakku Raja pathi edhuvum theriyAdhu nu certificate vEra kuduththAr :-(...adhu mattum irukkalainA, andha post kku nAn respond paNnirukkavE mAttEn...Raja vai pathi theriyAma general a support paNNa Raja oNNum enakku uRavukkArar illai :-)

anyway, I've enjoyed his posts in other threads when he discussed Sivaji songs and other old songs.

Shankar
28th April 2006, 04:21 PM
Shankar

Nakkeerare,
Vaidy MSV ai patri mattum sonnAl Balaji pOnra MSV fan aLavukku nAnum santhOsha paduvEnnu, avarai pathi positive tone sonnadhukku En ippadi kOchukkarArnu enakku puriyalai...mElum oru apologies disclaimer vEra pOttirundhEn...adhayum meeri nAn oru imposter engira mAdhiri sonnadhu sariyAga padavillai....ellAthukkum mEla enakku Raja pathi edhuvum theriyAdhu nu certificate vEra kuduththAr :-(...adhu mattum irukkalainA, andha post kku nAn respond paNnirukkavE mAttEn...Raja vai pathi theriyAma general a support paNNa Raja oNNum enakku uRavukkArar illai :-)

anyway, I've enjoyed his posts in other threads when he discussed Sivaji songs and other old songs.

Shankar
28th April 2006, 04:22 PM
Nakkeerare,

Shankar
28th April 2006, 04:22 PM
Shankar

Nakkeerare,

Shankar
28th April 2006, 04:23 PM
Shankar

Nakkeerare,

umaramesh
28th April 2006, 05:53 PM
Personally, I feel NinaithalE inikkum was a better album compared to Priya. This ,IMO, was the only instance when a Raja album was completely overshadowed by an MSV album (well, don't start another argument, folks ...if someone is offended I apologize right away

I think when IR was at his peak these MSV movies got released during deepavali release.

KIZVANAM SIVAKKUM
ANTHA EZHU NATKAL
RANAUVA VEERAN
AGNI SATCHI.

Thumbru: I think we can compare between Ninaithalye innaikum and priya(terms of variety/number of songs).ETC

Ullasa paravigal we have only GERMANIN&DHIVAGARAGAM rest of them are normal numbers.

ramesh

S.Balaji
28th April 2006, 06:07 PM
Shankar

Nakkeerare,

Dear Shankar

My apologies to you and I am withdrawing whatever I said about you previously..... :thumbsup:

I only wish to add .......

I admire both MSV and IR on equal footing ......by no means IR is inferior ....... what I have highlighted was , while searching for Thaamtha theemtha song , I got into this TFM ! and I have been following IR songs since 1976 ( but it doesnt mean that I know everything about IR ) but definitely have a fair idea on IR's music especially his interludes as I follow his interludes more than the lyric ......

For me, every song of IR between 76 and 80 brings back fond memories of my school days and college days when our brothers and friends used to discuss threadbare about his innovations and improvisations on songs like Kanmaniyay kadhal enbadhu for ex....

Everyday in my life doesnt pass by without thinking about IR and his extraordinary compositions..... ( but the IR i still cherish is from 1976 to 1985 )

Now I wonder somehow this thread has become a comparison thread between 2 giants of Tamil film music

Look already there is a debate going on between Ninaithaalay inikkum and Priya ...i think both were released during 1980

One aspect I admire about MSV on Ninaithaalay inikkum ....it was composed when IR WAS AT HIS PEAK AND AWESOME ...he was sweeping aside all MDs ..... Also I highlighted this to App engine as he mentioned that MSV songs of the 70s were not being heard now .....

IMO, MSV songs are still being heard whether they belong to 60s or 70s or end 70s as well

Due apologies once again if I had hurt you

S.Balaji
28th April 2006, 06:10 PM
Personally, I feel NinaithalE inikkum was a better album compared to Priya. This ,IMO, was the only instance when a Raja album was completely overshadowed by an MSV album (well, don't start another argument, folks ...if someone is offended I apologize right away

I think when IR was at his peak these MSV movies got released during deepavali release.

KIZVANAM SIVAKKUM
ANTHA EZHU NATKAL
RANAUVA VEERAN
AGNI SATCHI.

Thumbru: I think we can compare between Ninaithalye innaikum and priya(terms of variety/number of songs).ETC

Ullasa paravigal we have only GERMANIN&DHIVAGARAGAM rest of them are normal numbers.

ramesh

What Ramesh....

Oru periya sandaikku thayaar panreengalaa :o

Vendaamay indha thevai illadha argument pls

Oru maadhiri indha threadai MSV vs IR aakidaadheenga :oops:

MusicIsLife
28th April 2006, 07:32 PM
Yes, that was one of the rarest musical gems of MSV in my opinion, i am a big time rock n roll metal fan. the most interesting part of the compositions was it has so much of Ozzy, Led Zep kind of variations, might be inspirations, but either ways the music is class apart.
I also felt that same kind of interludes only recently some years back with Bharadwaj's amarkalam.

So I keep hearing to NI no matter what. I could get more info, if Mr. Vaidy talks to MSV on the subject, probably echo his opinions or better would be, he can post what the great said as an attachment.

app_engine
28th April 2006, 11:06 PM
"Ullasa paravigal we have only GERMANIN&DHIVAGARAGAM rest of them are normal numbers."

Personally I rate `nAn undhan thAyaga vENdum' and `azaghu Ayiram' equally with 'Germaniyin', if not greater...both were awesome, ahead-of-the-time compositions. And both I can hear with same enthu even today.

While `azhagu Ayiram' can boast of unusual orchestration (for that time) and brilliant vocal harmony / humming, 'nAn undhan' had a unique percussion arrangement as well as a racing melody line. Both songs had SJ at her prime. (Recently when I played 'nAn undhan..' on my car, when the percussion starts in the first interlude, my son remarked that this inspired a later year Deva number `sivappu lOlAkku kulungudhu')...

S.Balaji
28th April 2006, 11:12 PM
App.....

The rhythm of Naan undhan thaayaaga vendum resembles with that of a train movement ! i vaguely remember some goods train or a passenger train passing by the side of Kamal and Rathi ....
not sure

Actually the director C.V.Rajendran ( Sridhar's product ) went to germany without any concrete screen play and somehow they completed the movie !!

the redeeming factor was Suruli's comedy ( also pretending to be mentally disturbed !! )

The movie was an outstanding performance by IR any way

S.Balaji
28th April 2006, 11:14 PM
Infact as Rajini fans those days , we used to envy Ullaasa paravaigal songs ! and compare with what IR did for Rajini ....
IMO, the best of IR with a terrific start from Podhuvaaga enmanasu thangam ...murattu kaalai

a sound start for super star !

app_engine
28th April 2006, 11:23 PM
enna irundhAlum oru landmark album paNNumpozhudhu, adhil pOi kAppi adikkalAmA? ('mAmA miA' in N.I.)...

app_engine
28th April 2006, 11:27 PM
Balaji, Raja gave a better album for Rajini in Johny (though most were female songs)...I think that would rate among the top ten of Raja albums, IMHO...

S.Balaji
28th April 2006, 11:27 PM
enna irundhAlum oru landmark album paNNumpozhudhu, adhil pOi kAppi adikkalAmA? ('mAmA miA' in N.I.)...

Marubadiyum vambaaa :o :!: :?:

Me too still wonder why did MSV do this ??

there was no need at all ..... as this song is a tiny one which comes in between when the flight takes off

its a dark spot on a BIG WHITE SCREEN ........

Any way App....dear..... you have successfully opened floodgates for further debates on this tomorrow :lol:

S.Balaji
28th April 2006, 11:28 PM
Balaji, Raja gave a better album for Rajini in Johny (though most were female songs)...I think that would rate among the top ten of Raja albums, IMHO...

No no.... i knew..... just recollecting the school days when our Rajini group used to argue on this :oops:

app_engine
28th April 2006, 11:29 PM
Balaji:-)

I still feel it's KB who forced him to do that:-)) Well, we can ask our friend vaidy to ask your question `why' to the mellisai mannar, as he seems to have close proximity with him...

S.Balaji
29th April 2006, 12:24 AM
App.... and Shankar.....

I just listened to Engum niraindha iyarkayin enna sugamo ( idhu eppadi irukku )

and

Geetha sangeetha

2 splendid melodies from Maestro !!

I am missing those old magical touch from IR now ......

S.Balaji
29th April 2006, 12:25 AM
Vaidy

can you pl check with Mellisai Mannar on why did he compose Vaanilay medai amaithadhu ...... like that ??

we are curious about this

NOV
29th April 2006, 10:02 AM
Best Rajini intros:

MSV - My name is Billa
IR - Podhuvaaga en manasu thangam
ARR - Oruvan oruvan mudhalaali

p/s: How is your kid Shankar? :)

Scale
29th April 2006, 10:44 AM
Shankar posts

Welcome Mr.Shankar,

We certainly miss you Dear. I am delighted your Ist post is to help me :lol: btw, which Milk did you drink :wink:

End Digression & Switch to Vs/ARR-threads

Shankar
29th April 2006, 12:37 PM
Best Rajini intros:

MSV - My name is Billa
IR - Podhuvaaga en manasu thangam
ARR - Oruvan oruvan mudhalaali

p/s: How is your kid Shankar? :)

Nov,
spoken like a moderator :-)

She's doing good...She's trying to get up on her own :-)...unga mail id konjam anuppa mudiyuma (adhe id thAna )???

Shankar
29th April 2006, 12:46 PM
Shankar posts

Welcome Mr.Shankar,

We certainly miss you Dear. I am delighted your Ist post is to help me :lol: btw, which Milk did you drink :wink:

End Digression & Switch to Vs/ARR-threads

Thanks dear....You might just want to take one more help from me...I know of a good practitioner whose specialisation is the treatment to selective amnesia....I won't have to waste b/w, helping you with pointers whenever you forget if you take that one last advice :-)....Send me a PM, will send you the address.

Scale
29th April 2006, 01:12 PM
...I know of a good practitioner whose specialisation is the treatment to selective amnesia
:roll: :lol:

:poke:

:wave:

umaramesh
2nd May 2006, 11:19 AM

sameway I want to know why IR composed DARLING/DARLING song too early in his career. :lol:

ramesh

MusicIsLife
5th May 2006, 05:10 PM
Where is Mr. Quality Listener Vaidy? (vaidy no offense).

vaidy
6th May 2006, 09:27 PM
Where is Mr. Quality Listener Vaidy? (vaidy no offense).

very much listening to our legend's tunes. got some great collection from one of my friends (about 360 songs) which are absolute gems. great time listening to it. I am glad you accepted me as quality listener. I hope you guys are aware of the latest controversy about IR's thiruvasagam. Well I leave it to you to hunt for those details while we enjoy Our Mater's immortal tunes. I read a post from someone who was doubting my meetings with MSV and that he wanted those photographs published. I want to tell that gentleman that these are moments that I cherish and I have all the collection with me at home. You are welcome to visit me and see it. Regarding the details of chats that I have been having with MSV, well he keeps talking about the good times he had while composing with Kannadasan and so on. These are once again from the bottom of his heart and we keep asking inumerable questions and it is very difficult to post all that here. One incident about the Great Naushad Ali who passed away 2 days back.

Once MSV had gone to Bombay for a stage show consisting all the leading singers from tf world. MSV insisted that Naushad presides over the programme and he obliged but informed msv that he wasn't too well to sit thro' the full programme. On stage Naushad opened a sack and emptied it much to the surprise of the audience there. They were all letters written by MSV to Naushad and the thoughts that they shared. MSV was really moved that a towering personality Naushad preserved all his letters and that is the level of love and admiration they had between them. Naushad at one point bid good bye to msv during that programme and msv continued the show. After about 3 hours a request came to MSV for the song"Odam Nathiyile" sung by Sirghazhi Govindarajan. Guess who had requested for that number??? The great Naushad himself! He didn't leave the hall at all as he was totally engrossed in the programme. MSV recalls his fond memories with him. end of another classy creator should we say? Long live Naushad and his immortal tunes.

vaidy
6th May 2006, 09:36 PM
some classy nos from that collection i was talking about

ninaithu parkiren en nenjaminikindrathu-aval thantha uravu
kannanin sannithil... orukodiyil iru malargal

S.Balaji
7th May 2006, 01:46 PM
Vaidy

Would appreciate if you can share with us on some outstanding songs like MALAR EDHU UN KANGAL THAAN ENDRU SOLVENADEE from Avalukendru oru manam and songs like YAAR ANDHA NILAVU ......

IMO, these are execeptional songs of MSV ... why dont you check with him and do a posting ?

THERE IS NO NEED TO DRAW THE TIS CONTROVERSY HERE ....

YOU ARE ONLY PROVOKING OTHER HUBBERS ....

AND INVITING THEIR IRE...

Better avoid such controversial remarks pls....

If you have anything great to share with us about your interaction with MSV it will be great.

SO FAR, I HAVENT SEEN ANY SUCH INFORMATION SHARING ....

MusicIsLife
10th May 2006, 06:41 AM
"I am glad you accepted me as quality listener"

Vaidy
There was no offense meant, but sarcasm intended.

Take it easy. hoping to hear more on Ninaithale inikkum if possible.

S.Balaji
30th May 2006, 03:21 PM
No inputs so far from Vaidy ?