PDA

View Full Version : What is Sahsthiapta poothy?

rragu_ram
22nd April 2006, 02:16 AM
Hi All
Please tell me about Shasthiapta poorthy cremony.

swathy
22nd April 2006, 10:04 AM
Marriage arranged by children for their parents when the father reaches 60.

sadhabishegam is celebrated at the age of 80

Alan
22nd April 2006, 12:03 PM
Marriage, you said? Wow! That's interesting? But what if the father is not interested in marriage? If his wife is still alive, that is?

Lambretta
22nd April 2006, 01:37 PM
Marriage, you said? Wow! That's interesting? But what if the father is not interested in marriage? If his wife is still alive, that is?
Paaji, I dint really get u.....:?
Neways, its like, the couple goes thru a 2nd marriage, the same way as they got married for the "1st" time.....except tat this time, they r not the 'girl & 'boy' chosen for each other by their parents sum time b4 the marriage but adults who've been together & known each other for 30 odd yrs! :D
My mama & mami in Madras recently got theirs done (on 1st April) this year.....
Btw, do u know if this ceremony exist in the north (among Hindus)? I cant seem to recall, had lived in the north (Raj.) long ago! :D

Hulkster
22nd April 2006, 01:57 PM
Isn't this ceremony the one they showed in suyamvaram where vijayakumar and manjula devi get married by their children?

Alan
22nd April 2006, 02:30 PM
THanks for explaining, Lamby- but what is the "significance" of them getting married again? LOL! Does this have to be registered /legal formalities or is it just done for fun?

Lambretta
22nd April 2006, 03:27 PM
THanks for explaining, Lamby- but what is the "significance" of them getting married again? LOL! Does this have to be registered /legal formalities or is it just done for fun?
Alan,
neither of those.....its actually a custom......but I'm yet to know fully well y it is done....maybe in the hope of strengthening the bond even further.....?

hi
22nd April 2006, 03:48 PM
Alan,
neither of those.....its actually a custom......but I'm yet to know fully well y it is done....maybe in the hope of strengthening the bond even further.....?

May be... appreciating the couple for.. being/enduring together for so long... :roll: :lol:

Hulkster
22nd April 2006, 03:50 PM
Anjali ungalakku 60 kalyanam seiyum bothu ungalakku wish pennum bothu "congrats for tolerating your husband so long" nu solvaen wokayva?..:D

hi
22nd April 2006, 03:53 PM
Anjali ungalakku 60 kalyanam seiyum bothu ungalakku wish pennum bothu "congrats for tolerating your husband so long" nu solvaen wokayva?..:D

ippo irukurae... divorce rate ku.. idhu ellam oru periya sadhanai illiya pinna ? :roll:

Hulkster
22nd April 2006, 03:55 PM
Vitaal Guiness Book Of records leh unga sathanai podunum nu solvaenge....Divorce rate is mainly due to their inability to see out each others needs and other reasons as well....hopefully this divorce rate drops down as low as possible.

hi
22nd April 2006, 04:16 PM
I wish.. every couple.. shd be blessed to go through this function.. :D

sadly nowadays parents r abandoned by children :(

Hulkster
22nd April 2006, 04:22 PM
Yeah....petravargal koduthaa paasam kadeisilae paasakayira maariyachi...:(

swathy
22nd April 2006, 08:36 PM
sashti poorthingradhu oru blessing

1.60 vayadu varai uyirodu irukkanum
2.partnerum uyirodu irukkanum
3.60 vaaydhukkulla kadaimaigalai mudichavangalaukku than kalayanam patriya ennam varum
4.normal marriages parents pillaingalukku seivaanga idhu pillainga parentsukku seiradhu
5.nalla parentsa vaazhndhavangalukku than pillainga poruppa kalyanam panni vaippanga

so even attending sashti poorthi is a blessing. people wont expect formal invitation for this wedding :D

Lambretta
22nd April 2006, 08:37 PM
Alan,

May be... appreciating the couple for.. being/enduring together for so long... :roll: :lol:
:lol: Cud be too..... :huh:

Lambretta
22nd April 2006, 08:38 PM
ippo irukurae... divorce rate ku.. idhu ellam oru periya sadhanai illiya pinna ? :roll:
:(

rragu_ram
24th April 2006, 03:55 AM
Thanksfor the info given.
How it is done?

swathy
24th April 2006, 09:13 AM
Some visit Thirukadaiyur Abhirami amman temple (near Thanjavur) .

rragu_ram
27th April 2006, 08:35 PM
what is the best gift for the couple.

Querida
28th April 2006, 01:32 AM
just for fun i'm posting this site about western custom in gifts for anniversaries: http://www.chipublib.org/008subject/005genref/giswedding.html

You could give them anything nice I guess, it's the thought that counts. But it would be nice if you could compile an album with pictures of them through the years or get a picture of them painted over like a portrait. You could get a personlized/engraved plate, figurine, plaque with poem, that's what stores usually sell here for anniversaries.

Sanguine Sridhar
28th April 2006, 01:35 AM

Dont trouble them...That should be the perfect gift :D ...

Serious :roll: Hmm How about getting them couple of Air tickets to some hill station...!! Think it :wink:

Shakthiprabha.
29th April 2006, 12:12 PM
hi,

sashti = 60
apta = age
poorthi = finished

thats why sasthiaptapoorthi.

The best gift could be

BOOKS they love to read (shlokas if they like it, some spritual books etc)

most give saree and dhoti with flowers and fruits and take their blessings

some give just fruits and flowers and take their blessings.

Gift is not of utmost importance in these weddings. Even flowers would do. Seeking blessings is more important.

These days couples do not prefer to celebrate it but go to temples and do a small homam or donate liberally to needy.

My parents sashtiaptapoorthi happened 3 years back, I WAS SOOO much moved to tears, to see my dad and mom becoming all emotional when thali was tied. We had donated to uthavum karangaL too.

Dad and mom was talking about olden days etc. My cousins, aunt, uncle, friends and me were asking questions leisurely after the function reg most memorable moments and the like.

It was so much fun to tease them and take their blessings.

LOVE....... ppl ask what is love!

Love can be seen in the eyes of couple who do sashtiaptapoorthi.

They, have sustained, tolerated, given up, shared, compromised and loved their partners for ages. That love sure adds to the glow and sparkle in their eyes during these weddings.

No shyness, no gigglings but tears of love streaming down. Its wonderful to see a sashtiyapta poorthi function

Shakthiprabha.
29th April 2006, 12:18 PM

Dont trouble them...That should be the perfect gift :D ...

Serious :roll: Hmm How about getting them couple of Air tickets to some hill station...!! Think it :wink:

good suggestion.

my uncles (brothers of mom ) got them bookings in hotel in a hillstation for 3 days.

:)

Sanguine Sridhar
29th April 2006, 06:58 PM
Enggada KM-a kaanom-nu nenachyen!!! ;) ...

S.Balaji
29th April 2006, 07:04 PM
I interpret this way.........

Its an opportunity for the sons and daughters to have a flash back of what could have happened

A great opportunity for children to honour their parents for having given them life and stature .......

Shakthiprabha.
29th April 2006, 08:38 PM
why shridhar?

sashtiaptapoorthikkum shakthiprabhakkum enna sambhandham?