PDA

View Full Version : Can we try "Tamil-ised" versions of Tchaikovsky's

Bipolar
23rd April 2006, 04:05 PM
Hi guys! Are there any music experts here? Any Veenai players here? I'd like someone to try playing and recording a Veenai version of Tchaikovsky's Barcarolle in G minor ("June" from "The Seasons"; a good place to listen to it online would be at Stephen Kopp's page on SoundClick at http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=51902). There are 31 pieces of music on this page, "June" is twenty-third on the list. Originally written for the piano, it's a beautiful piece of music. Another piece of music that we should try an "Indian-ised" arrangement of is the "Waltz of the flowers" from Tchaikovsky's "The Nutcracker". Anyone up for this?

MusicIsLife
5th June 2006, 08:11 PM
Bipolar
you start amazing topics. this one is out of my league! you should ask, how about a Key-boardized veena version?

Bipolar
8th June 2006, 03:52 PM
MusicIsLife, thanks for your reply...

Yes, anything welcome, if you can do a key-boardised veena version, and upload it onto the web, that will be welcome...

Can I ask you one question: what is your musical background? I mean, have you learned to sing or play any instruments? If yes, how long have you been learning? What kinds of music do you like most?

Did you listen to the pieces of music I suggested? What did you think?

I'm not a music expert, just a fan, a fan of all kinds of music - Tamil Film music, Carnatic, Hindustani, "Western" music - Western Classical, pop, hard rock, etc.

There's a piece of music called "Am I not merciful?" on the soundtrack of the film Gladiator (by Hans Zimmer). Listen to it, and if you like it (I think you'd have to listen to it a few times before you start to like it), then your musical taste is similar to mine. A good place to get this from is www.grammy.ru. The website is in Russian, but there is link on the top right-hand-side of the place saying "ENG". Click on that link, and some of the text on the page changes to English. You should see a link saying "Music", click on that, and you will get a search box. The rest is obvious.

I have a number of ideas in mind, but just right now, I'm busy with exams. Plus, unfortunately, it seems not a lot of people are interested in my little ideas. :( But after my exams are over, I'll post more about my ideas... I hope there will be at least one or two people here who will be interested...

Well, in the meantime, any contributions welcome!!!

MusicIsLife
8th June 2006, 08:13 PM
Bipolar,
I am not a music expert either or have learnt music the classical way or practised it. It all stems from my father who was good at carnatic music (he wrote his songs, set the tune, raaga, music and sang in bhajans).
My background, i believe there is no life without music including nishabdam or silence (TV Shankarnarayan one of the great stalwarts/legend in Carnatic music once signed an autograph "Music Is Life", hence my nickname). I do write my opinions for Rock Artists (especially metal/hard rock), and reviewed some of the albums. So either i listen to Carnatic classical or hard rock/metal (strange and wierd, but that is me).
You seem to be pretty young, I do sometimes have very little time, so i go into hibernation once in a while. Rajasarnam is another person who is pretty good and has more depth in knowledge regarding IR music than me.
I do like the Gladiator music, we have similar tastes i guess. Let us try this, if you like G'N'R, Metallica, Rage Against Machine, AC/DC, Led Zep (the Gods), Black Sabbath, Dio, Ozzy, Aerosmith, Marcy Playground then we are good at the same level.
If you like IR/ARR, Tamizh marai vazhipadu(like kolaru thirupathigam), Classical Carnatic, we are inclined at the same level.
drop me an email smiyer@hotmail.com

Bipolar
8th June 2006, 09:04 PM
MusicIsLife, thanks for your reply.

I'm 24, I'm a university student, so yes I'm quite busy too, especially now, with exams coming up.

The bands you mentioned - yes, I do like Metallica and Guns 'n' Roses, and I do listen to the others you mentioned, but right now, my playlist mainly has lighter stuff - younger British bands like Oasis, Keane and others, and of course, Ilayaraja and AR Rahman!

I'm not a music student, but I did learn some Carnatic music (singing) when I was a kid, and I have some books on music - I hope to study music in my spare time. I have some musical ideas which I would like to share with you guys, I'd be happy if any of you could help me out.

I shall explain further after my exams (June 22).

Bipolar
8th June 2006, 09:35 PM
One idea I had, for example, was to try a Tamil-style version of the musical "The Phantom of the Opera" (by Andrew Lloyd Webber and Charles Hart). I thought maybe we could change the setting - give the characters Tamil names, etc.

I'd like to try and write the music, if someone can help me out, and also I'd definitely need someone to help with writing the lyrics in Tamil. Then maybe it would be possible to do a concept recording, see how far it goes...

Anyone interested?