PDA

View Full Version : Tanjavur brahmin recipes

Chitra Anand
24th April 2006, 07:23 AM
hi everyone.
How abt a thread on tanjavur brahmin recipes.There is a lot of diffrence in brahmin and non brahmin cooking.Hence I would appreciate some brahmin recipes here.I want to know the rasam powder recipe of brahmins.

bingleguy
24th April 2006, 08:38 AM
Well Chitra ! Thanjavur means i get remembered about Poli .......... Mouth watering ! sorry... no idea about the receipe !

Rasam powder !probably there is normally no different bw Rasam n Sambar powder .... ppl use the same podi for both !

Anoushka
24th April 2006, 12:57 PM
BG: Ithu nyayama? Enaku therinju rasam powder and sambar powder are different (not that I know much), but I always get different packs with Rasam powder and Sambar powder from both my parents and in-laws... :)

Arthi
24th April 2006, 01:06 PM
BG: Arusuvai Arasu Natraj-madhiri pesadhinga.. :lol: Rasam and Sambar powder are different.

ssanjinika
26th April 2006, 07:51 PM
Well Chitra ! Thanjavur means i get remembered about Poli .......... Mouth watering ! sorry... no idea about the receipe !

Rasam powder !probably there is normally no different bw Rasam n Sambar powder .... ppl use the same podi for both !
Illa BG, rasam powder and sambhar are different.But due to convienience we use sambar powder for rasam also.Rasam powder is more coarsly ground with some more millagu and perungayam.

Shakthiprabha.
27th April 2006, 01:49 PM
I second sanjinika.

I would advice 'SHAKTHI-MASALA' for that typical 'tam-brahm' taste of rasam and sambhar :D

Arthi
27th April 2006, 08:08 PM
I second sanjinika.

I would advice 'SHAKTHI-MASALA' for that typical 'tam-brahm' taste of rasam and sambhar :D

Nichayam nalladhan erukkum :D

Chitra Anand
29th April 2006, 09:17 AM
I second sanjinika.

I think shakti masala brand has some garam masala added in rasam powder and also garlic taste is there.

Shakthiprabha.
29th April 2006, 11:01 AM
nopes chitra.

I always use shakthi masala sambhar powder.
occasionally (long back) I had bought rasam powder too.

DEF NO GARAM MASALA/garlic

I am sure about this Cause I am not a great enjoyer of garlic of garammasala in southy food.

bingleguy
29th April 2006, 03:42 PM
Thanks for seconding others :lol:
Well we can use the same for convinience .... thats it ! ;-)

Well any grounded readymade masala may not have the same taste as what ur mom prepares ... we prepare our own podi ..... ;-)

Surya
27th May 2006, 11:53 PM
Lemme ask u guys something....

Don't you find HOME-MADE Sambar and Rasam Powders a lot more tasty than these Readymade ones?

I remember my mom using Shakti Masala once for sambar and rasam. :x :x :x

Told her I wouldn't eat her food if she uses them again....not that they taste bad, but homemade stuff just tastes a million times better...anyone agree? :huh:

dev
29th May 2006, 12:23 PM
Lemme ask u guys something....

Don't you find HOME-MADE Sambar and Rasam Powders a lot more tasty than these Readymade ones?

I remember my mom using Shakti Masala once for sambar and rasam. :x :x :x

Told her I wouldn't eat her food if she uses them again....not that they taste bad, but homemade stuff just tastes a million times better...anyone agree? :huh:

Yeah...homemade powders taste much better... Esp Mrs.Mano's sambar powder gives very good results... Also, I don't like homecooked food to taste like hotel ones... But my husb uses Annapoorna sambar powder(esp for idlis) so that he gets the exact taste as the sambar we get in annapoorna hotels...Annapoorna is a chain restau in coimbatore, known for its idli-vada-sambar... & coimbatoreans are known for drinking annapoorna sambar as if they were drinking water...;)

ayeshasadique
29th May 2006, 12:43 PM
:) my hubby can have a bucket of sambar for 2 idlis ... and still say not enough!!

ayeshasadique
29th May 2006, 12:46 PM
i make sambar using the home made podi my mom in law usually packs for me... and i have a lot of fans for her sambar powder here in UAE, i actually bring pks for a lot of friends :)

dev
29th May 2006, 12:48 PM
ayesha,

Do you have the recipe for teh sambar powder?...

ayeshasadique
29th May 2006, 12:49 PM
she is even particular that I use only home ground spice (turmeric, chilli, coriander etc) powders.... she packs everything for me .....I dont need to buy anything here at all... :)
oh, and I also get these pks from my mom..."anbu thollai"

ayeshasadique
29th May 2006, 12:54 PM
no one believes,...but 1/2 my luggage is podis, masalas, vatrals, fresh greens (that I dont get here), seasonal veggies, dried meat cubes, etc etc
my hubby says, " amma, its not a desert"..she says, yes it is!! very funny scenes and dialogues take place in our house during pking with my hubby throwing back some of these from the luggage, and she secretly putting them back :)

dev
29th May 2006, 01:05 PM
:lol: ... such things happen in almost all homes... :)

Homemade podis are good... U can atleast be sure there is not much adultration in what we consume... I sometimes feel there is a sort of chemical smell from the preservatives in some of the storebought podis... :x & I wonder Y most podis become like 'mannu' after the expiry date while homemade podis can stay good for even a year... maybe the quality of the ingredient & processing matters...

ayeshasadique
29th May 2006, 01:48 PM
exactly....i had only once made the mistake of buying commercial dhania powder, when my home brought one was over, it was literally like sand, both in texture n taste (well, :) i havent tasted sand)

bingleguy
29th May 2006, 01:50 PM
True Dev ! home made podis are the Best ! the ones that are made from the stores normally use machines and n large quantities and also they dont put the needed ingredient's quantity !

ayeshasadique
29th May 2006, 01:50 PM
the dhania powder i bring from India, even after 1 long year, still has its aroma whenevr I open the lid...not so with commercial ones

azhagi
30th May 2006, 05:24 AM
I make my sambar and rasam podis at home only since I get all the ingredients here in CA.I make them once in 2 months in small quantities and it stays fresh till the last day.Garam masala also I make at home only so it tastes really fresh and good.

Ayesha,pls don't get me wrong...but don't you think that instead of carrying all those podis and masalas from home,you could make it yourself in UAE.I am sure you will be getting all those ingredients there.When you make it yourself,you could proudly say that to all ...well,that is my opinion. Even if my mother or MIL offers those podis to me,I don't accept it...because frankly it takes a lot of load off the luggage and you could carry something else instead.Also,if you get the correct recipe details from them,you can prepare it yourself.Just a thought!

SmileAlways
30th May 2006, 09:39 AM
Ayesha...i can understand what u go thro...with 1/2 ur luggage containing podis...etc..etc..

Azhagi : what u r saying is easier said than done.

in my case...whenever i visit my parents or my in-laws....i will be flooded with queries as to what all need...!! Generally...I will ask them to make any particular podi...like parruppu podi or pulikachal.

Will inform tht the opposite party has made the other podis.

This way...my mother and my mil are happy tht they did something....and at the same time...I ensure tht I travel with a light weight.

The first time after marriage......(when i was not smart enough to get away from their 'anbu tholai') ..I came back home with a lot of podis. When I opened my luggage here.....I couldnt identify..which podi was for what!!! Spent a lot of time on the phone segregating the various podis.

Offcourse...when the phone bill came....my hubby hit the roof...and tht is another scary story...to be shared later!!! lol....lol....

:lol:

dsath
30th May 2006, 02:18 PM
Ha the podis.... my mom in law makes an excellent sambhar podi, which i think is unparalled and my mom's idli podi will also fall into that category. My mom uses lots of curry leaves for idli podi (prevent too much hair loss esp after having 2 children) and i can't imagine making them my self.
When my mom and dad came to visit us she brought with her the usual podis and parpu and what not. The funny thing was she packed 3 kgs of greengram dhal 'cause i like it and payed for extra baggage at check in, inspite of me telling her thousand times that we get perfectly good greengram dhal from all supermarkets here.

ayeshasadique
30th May 2006, 10:54 PM
I make my sambar and rasam podis at home only since I get all the ingredients here in CA.I make them once in 2 months in small quantities and it stays fresh till the last day.Garam masala also I make at home only so it tastes really fresh and good.

Ayesha,pls don't get me wrong...but don't you think that instead of carrying all those podis and masalas from home,you could make it yourself in UAE.I am sure you will be getting all those ingredients there.When you make it yourself,you could proudly say that to all ...well,that is my opinion. Even if my mother or MIL offers those podis to me,I don't accept it...because frankly it takes a lot of load off the luggage and you could carry something else instead.Also,if you get the correct recipe details from them,you can prepare it yourself.Just a thought!

yes...thats what i tell my mom in law...but she insists on sending those...amma kai manam for her pillai.. :)

ayeshasadique
30th May 2006, 10:57 PM
dear smilealways,
thats what happens exactly...when they insist we cannot say no

nitgopa
30th May 2006, 11:51 PM
Hi guys....i'm new to this hub..But this thread is interesting...V can grind podi's at home, but v visit our parents once in 2-3 yrs...when vbring podis from them , avangalukkum sandhosham, en namakkumthan...konja nalukku podi aaraikama nimmadiyya irukkalam....

nitgopa
30th May 2006, 11:52 PM
hey..tanjorebrahmin recipes'lerndhu route mariconversation engayo pogudhu.....

pams_40
31st May 2006, 01:06 PM
Hi all

a mout watering thread. Anyone out there can post the authentic bramin sambhar recipe from TN

Thanks

ayeshasadique
6th June 2006, 11:14 PM
i once got this sambar recipe from a brahmin friend of mine....i hope u people like it :)

MURUNGAI SAMBAR

toor dal - 1 cup, soaked, cooked well with a little turmeric
drumstick - 2 to 3 nos. cut into pieces
onion/ a few small red onions - 1, chopped (optional)
tomato - 1 chopped
tamarind - a small lemon size, soaked in water
jaggery - 1 tsp (optional)
salt

fresh sambar masala: fry these in a little oil and grind
Fresh grated coconut - 3 tbsp
coriander seeds - 1 &1/2 tbsp
Jeera - 1 tsp
whole red chilli - 6
Channa dal - 1 tbsp
Urud dal - 1 tbsp
Mustard seeds - 1 tsp
Methi seeds - 1 tsp
Hing - 1/2 tsp

For tempering:
Mustard seeds
Urad dal
Hing
Jeera
curry leaves
whole red chilli
Green chillies
Ghee/oil

1. Heat oil and fry onion. Add tomatoes and fry.
2. add the sambar masala and fry ; then add vegetables, salt, hing. Simmer the mixture till veggies cook, adding water.
3. add tamarind water and simmer till it thickens. Add jaggery.
4. Now add the cooked dal, more water if necessary . simmer.
5. Heat the oil in a pan and add the tempering items, when they pop, add them to the sambar.

serve hot.

dev
7th June 2006, 07:14 AM
Ayesha,

this we call as 'araichu vitta sambar'... They taste yum... You can add any veg loke carrot, brinjal etc to it... The taste of this sambar will be somewhere between sambar & kulambu... :)

ayeshasadique
7th June 2006, 02:03 PM
yes dev
a very nice yummy taste when i make it:)... but still i feel this dish must be had , made in a brahmin's kitchen!!
puliyogare my friend's mom makes was also yummy....lost touch very long ago..else i wud have gone to her pad and pen for all her recipes :)

bingleguy
7th June 2006, 02:14 PM
Araichu vitta sambhar : tasty !
really mouth watering :-)

I also like something wat is called Arai Puli Kozhambu ... with pachai sundakkai ... it will be awesome :-)

Araichu vitta sambhar la pooshanikka, brinjal idellam romba tasty aa irukkum :-)

Paruppurundai Morkozhambu :-) thats awesome ! Along with Vendakkai kari or Paruppu usili ... this is the best combo !

dev
7th June 2006, 02:19 PM
BG,

Sundakaki kulambu therium... athu enna arai puli kolambu... Mummy pakkathila iruntha recipie-aa konjam type panna sollunga paarkalaam...& also paruppurundai morkulambu is new to me...

ayeshasadique
7th June 2006, 02:25 PM
i like mooli in sambar too, howevr my hubby hates it :)

ayeshasadique
7th June 2006, 02:29 PM
dev
paruppu urundai mor kuzhambu
steam cooked regular paruppu urundai in regular mor kuzhambu..

bingleguy
7th June 2006, 02:30 PM
BG,

Sundakaki kulambu therium... athu enna arai puli kolambu... Mummy pakkathila iruntha recipie-aa konjam type panna sollunga paarkalaam...& also paruppurundai morkulambu is new to me...

:lol: naan receipe sonna othukka maateengala ;-)
cooking is my hobby dev :-) i used to help my mom in the kitchen right from my 5th stardard .... today, i can cook even without her help :lol:

Paruppurandai morkozhambu is nothing but -> Paruppu with konjam uppu, pachai/red milagai (red is better) arachukkanum ... then make small balls out of that araiyal ..... put it in idly fry pan / idly cooker .... vendhadhukku appuram ... u ca take that ... n put it in morkozhambu ,.... simple !

dev
7th June 2006, 02:33 PM
ooohhh... thanks BG & ayesha...

BG, I didn't know that U cook... sorry... appo next time naan b'lore varum pothu unga kaiyaala saapidu kidaikumnu ninaikiren...:)
aamam, morkulambu eppadi seiveenga?...

bingleguy
7th June 2006, 02:50 PM
ooohhh... thanks BG & ayesha...

BG, I didn't know that U cook... sorry... appo next time naan b'lore varum pothu unga kaiyaala saapidu kidaikumnu ninaikiren...:)
aamam, morkulambu eppadi seiveenga?...

:-) ada rama ! idhukku edhukku sorry ! Dev ... btw unga real name enna ? :roll: kekkalaamaa ?

Morkozhambu ...

put thengai thiruval, red chilli, uppu and mixie la araichukonga ... then mix that with mor (nalla karachu uppu podaadha mor) .. then gas la vechu kodhicha appuram eraikkdalaam ... u can add varutha vendakkai or paruppu urundai or varutha sundakkai or pooshanikkai for morkozhambu !

dev
7th June 2006, 02:57 PM
Thanks BG... try panni paarthitu solren...:)

Name: chk ur PM...

dsath
7th June 2006, 02:59 PM
Another Gujarathi version of Mor kuzhambu(called pakaoda kadi) is made by adding Pakodas in the Mor kuzhambu.
If u let the pakodas soak in the kuzhambu for sometime, it tastes yummy.

bingleguy
7th June 2006, 03:07 PM
Ys .... Pakoda Khadi is very famous ....

have anybody tasted Rasa Vadai ?????????

dsath
7th June 2006, 03:14 PM
Rasa Vadai is served in many resturants in Hyderabad. But being the purist i am when it comes to sambhar-vadai, i couldn't enjoy it much.

dev
7th June 2006, 03:16 PM

Yup... I have.. In Kadhambam restau, b'lore... the one that's in manipal centre... I like curd vadai better than sambar vadai or rasa vadai... but those are good too...

dsath
7th June 2006, 03:17 PM
Discussing vadais, i have a big question. How on earth to get the Vadai shapes? My vadais tastes the same as my mom's crisp on the outside and soft inside, but the big difference is that mine are round balls, instead of the traditional shape. :)
Can anyone help me out with maintaining the shape of the vadais please?

ayeshasadique
7th June 2006, 03:18 PM

Yup... I have.. In Kadhambam restau, b'lore... the one that's in manipal centre... I like curd vadai better than sambar vadai or rasa vadai... but those are good too...

me too....i like thayir vada more than all the others....we make it almost evryday during ramadan :)

bingleguy
7th June 2006, 03:24 PM
Curd vadai n Sambhar vadai are usuals ! but Rasa vadai is not usual ... normally prepared only in homes ... that too only good n Paruppu rasam !

Dsath ... use a plastic cover like milk cover or something and wash it every time before u add maavu ......
take a urundai and put it over the cover ....
now dip ur hand in water (this is imp)
and then have ur middle, index and ring fingers together and pat the vada maavu and smoothly go left and right ... (not too many times)

this automativally gives the vadai its desited round shape :-)

then put a hole in the middle and the put it over the oil pan :-)

this may look funny just telling the way to do ... but certain imp stages .. mentioned in the bracket ... gives the desired shape :-)

Try it out !

dsath
7th June 2006, 03:29 PM
Thanks BG, will surely give it a go in the weekend.

bingleguy
7th June 2006, 03:59 PM
Welcome Dsath !

well tis important to follow the ones given in bracket .... am re iterating it :-)

Well Rasa vadai ,,, lemme come back to it ... it should not be there n rasam for too much time ... keep it for just 45 mins ... thats enough .. then u can still feel the taste of the vadai with paruppu rasam ... generally avoid putting that in hot rasam ... better to put in medium hot ! Preferrably eat at night ... after the vadais s a lil cold ... not very ! it shld not be hot !

ayeshasadique
7th June 2006, 04:02 PM
BG
i made up my mind...iam coming to bangalore to eat at ur house :) :)

bingleguy
7th June 2006, 04:06 PM
BG
i made up my mind...iam coming to bangalore to eat at ur house :) :)

Welcome :-) vaanga vaanga !

but yaaru samaikkanum :roll: :roll: :lol:

bingleguy
7th June 2006, 04:09 PM
Rasa vadai la oru sirappu amsam ennanna !

U can use both aama vadai and medu vadai for rasa vadai ...

Hotel prep of RV may not be that tasty !

aama vadai potteenganna ... put it hot ... and leave it for more time ... an hour or so ! it takes some time to aborb ...

Generally it tastes good with onion - aama rasa vadai !

ayeshasadique
7th June 2006, 04:16 PM
BTW dsath
did u try out the layered biriyani?

dsath
7th June 2006, 04:28 PM
Yep i did Ayesha. :) Thanks for the recipe, it turned out well.
Will be on my party menu. What i liked most abt the recipe was that we could use the same rice for both the veggy and the non-veg option.
I am a veggy and the rest of my family is non-veggy......so comes in handy. :)

bingleguy
7th June 2006, 04:30 PM
how does layered biriyani fit this thread :roll:

ayeshasadique
7th June 2006, 04:35 PM

well, was just asking....recipe post pannalaiye :)

bingleguy
7th June 2006, 04:38 PM

well, was just asking....recipe post pannalaiye :)

:lol: :lol: :lol: adhu vera pannanumaa !?

anyways take it on the lighter side !

dev
8th June 2006, 07:09 AM
hey BG & ayesh,

I made araichu vitta sambar(with red pumpkin) today...I followed ur recipe, ayesha... it came out well... yummo yum...

bingleguy
8th June 2006, 08:56 AM
wowo wow !
That was awesome .... :-)
Red pumpkin is more apt for vethakuzhambu :-) but good for araichu vitta sambhar ....

try adding small onions n araichu vitta sambhar ... tasty

One more interesting n yummy one : kadalai Vethakuzhambu !

any thoughts on this ... i LOVE this very much !

dev
8th June 2006, 09:29 AM
bg, your vethakuzhambu recipe pls... athu enna kadalai vethakuzhambu?... kondai kalai poatu seiyanuma???!!!... Naan ithu ellam kelvi pattathe kidaiyaathu... enaku kadalai kuzhambu venumna therium...

"Red pumpkin is more apt for vethakuzhambu Smile but good for araichu vitta sambhar .... "

Inniku veetila micham iruntha orye veggie athu thaan...so, didn't have any otehr option... oru valiyay fridge clean-up mudichu ippo thaan fresh veggies vaangi stock panni iruken...not many Indian veggies though...:(

Sowmya
12th June 2006, 07:15 PM
Hi everybody
Naanum konjam en periya mookai ungal discussion la nuzhaikkalama? :wink:

here's a short list of some of the regular items/dishes cooked in Thanjavur brahmin homes..

1.sambars- the ones with sambar powder are frequent and arachuvitta variety (called pitlais) popular one:pavakkai pitlai
vathal kuzhambu,pauppu urundai kuzhambu,mor kuzhambu with vegs as well as urundais
2.rasams:Tanjorians love Rasam and meal is generally considered incomplete without rasam.Variety of rasams are prepared
a.lemon
b.jeeragam,pepper
c.regular tomato,paruppu rasam
d.pineapple rasam (typically for ceremonies!)

3.poricha kuzhambus
4.Kootugal,keerai
5.thuvayals... common ones:curry leaves,coriander,coconut .Considered ideal accompaniments for curd rice in addtion to maavadu.

Tiffin
1.pongal with gotsu tops the list.

sweets
"Kasi halwa" (white pumpkin ) is an all time favourite.
Sweet fruit pachadi.

Most thanjavur recipes have been given by Mrs.Mano.A detailed recipe book (3 vols) "Samaithu paar" by Meenakshi Ammal deals exclusively with Thanjavur cooking.

kavithasenthil
14th June 2006, 03:24 AM
I also like something wat is called Arai Puli Kozhambu ... with pachai sundakkai ... it will be awesome :-)

pls tell me whats arai puli kuzhambu..

kavithasenthil
14th June 2006, 03:26 AM
sowmiya,

i like kasi halwa. i tried one time here. but it didn't tastes that good. can you post the recipe for coconut thuvayal if you have time.

bingleguy
14th June 2006, 08:32 AM

Hi Kavitha

Arai puli kozhambu is kind of a vetha kuzhambu or u can say that as puli kozhambu .... the important ingredient which makes is tasty is the coconut and the sundakkai in it !

ssanjinika
14th June 2006, 07:45 PM
BG,sundaikkai mattum podanum-nnu ella..ara puli kuzhambu-kku.I make it with drumstick & brinjal also and its really tasty :)
arai puli kuzhambu vasanth sonna madiri vetha kuzhambu but with thengai in it.Paruppu edhukku poda maatom.

kavithasenthil
14th June 2006, 09:02 PM
thanks for the info guys.

Alan
14th June 2006, 11:42 PM
bingleguy, is that you in ur avatar?

dev
15th June 2006, 06:45 AM
BG or Sanjinika, pls post thre recipe for arai puli kulambu...

Alan- Yes, it is BG in his avatar...

Sowmya
16th June 2006, 05:35 PM
Hi kavitha
here's the recipe.. :)

Coconut thuvayal
ingredients
Grated fresh coconut(tastes best!)/dessiacted coconut-1 cup
dry red chillies-4-5 or acc to your spice tolerance levels
mustard-1 tsp
urad dhal-2 tsp
asafoetida- a small piece
tamarind-small lemon sized ball
salt- as reqd

proc:
In litle oil fry dry red chillies,mustard,urad dhal,asafoetida till it turns golden brown.
Grind tamarind,salt,fried red chillies,asafoetida with little water to a smooth paste.Now add the grated coconut and grind till contents blend well.Now add the mustard and urad dhal and blend.
The above order is followed while grinding to ensure that all contents mix properly.Serve with hot rice and gingelly oil.

Sowmya
16th June 2006, 05:39 PM
Hi
Here are some more items which are usually prepared by Tanjavurians

1.Paruppu usili (side dish for morkuzhambu)
2.milagu kuzhambu

bingleguy
16th June 2006, 05:43 PM
Milagu kozhambu with Paruppu thogaiyal .... superb combo ! :clap:

sangeetha_me
16th June 2006, 08:07 PM
Infact I like paruppu thogaiyal with Milagu rasam too ! Hmmm...my mouth is already watering..iam going to make milagu kuzhambu and paruppu thogaiyal today..been a long time..

ssanjinika
17th June 2006, 12:33 AM
will post recipies for paruppuusili and araichu vitta kuzhambu this weekend when I Get some time..its kida difficult from work :P

newcomer
17th June 2006, 01:46 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

kavithasenthil wrote:
bingleguy wrote:

I also like something wat is called Arai Puli Kozhambu ... with pachai sundakkai ... it will be awesome

Hi Kavitha

Arai puli kozhambu is kind of a vetha kuzhambu or u can say that as puli kozhambu .... the important ingredient which makes is tasty is the coconut and the sundakkai in it !

Guys,
New to this discussion. Very interesting. Eppo ennakku ore sandegam! is that Arai pulli kozhambu or Iru pulli Kozhambu? Heard and tasted Irupulikozhambu, very tasty, very different too.
will post the recipe if anybody wants.

Radha

deviraja
17th June 2006, 05:42 AM
HI Guys!

I am new to this discussion and i am fond of tanjore brahmin recipes ,This topic is quite interesting.I would like to know about the araipuli kulambu/iru puli kulambu.please do send me the recipe if anybody knows that to srivari2000@yahoo.com
Thanks
Deviraja

Sowmya
17th June 2006, 11:42 AM
Hi newcomer (radha)
"irupuli kuzhambu" is different from "Arai puli kuzhambu".

irupuli kuzhambu : is called so cos it uses 2 sources to impart tangy taste/sourness to the dish..
1.tamarind
2.sour curds

Please go ahead and post the recipe for the same.

I am told "Arai puli kuzhambu" can also be prepared with "kizhangu varieties" like "karunai kizhangu,chenaikizhangu".Appadiya?

Regards
sowmya :)

dev
17th June 2006, 03:30 PM
Sowmya, Ippadi onnu onna solli ennai drool panan vaikaathenga... recipe udan post pannunga...pls... I'm already waiting for someone to post the recipe for arai puli kulambu... add to my list milagu kulambu... & now irupuli kulambu... recipes pls...

vijikr
17th June 2006, 11:18 PM
hi guyz,

dev ungala mathiri naanum drooling a lot reding this but yaarum recipe post pannamatenurangalai... btw sowmya irupuli kulambu athu ennathu iam hearing for the first time... hmm i hope u could post that if u know :roll:

newcomer
17th June 2006, 11:49 PM
Hi Sowmya,

Thanks for the clarification. Iru Puli Kuzhambu means we use puli and curd so, it is called iru pulli kuzhambu.

Iru Pulli Kuzhambu:

Ingredients:
Red chillies-5-6
Channadal-2tablespoons
MethiSeeds-1/2 teaspoon
Coconut- 1/2 cup-1 cup
Puli- Little
Curd-1/2 -1 cup

Cut the vegtables like Eggplant, or Chowchow or any veg.
Fry Red chillies, methiseed, coconut, channadal in one spoon of oil and grind it.
Again season with mustard seeds and hing and add the veg and add the tamind water and turmeric and salt and let it boil till the vegs, are cooked, now add the grinded mixture and curd and let it boil well.
Add curryleaves too.
Thats all. Add or subtract chillies, puli and salt to your taste.

It goes very well with keerai.

Radha

vijikr
18th June 2006, 01:11 AM
hi radha,

thanks for posting the recipe :D

Cool work

Viji

kavithasenthil
18th June 2006, 07:57 AM
Sowmiya,
thaks for the thovayal recipe. let me try tomorrow. By the way arai puli kuzhambu means half puli kuzhambu? Hmm..i don't get it.

mayflower
19th June 2006, 06:54 AM
Hi

till now nobody has posted abt the making of sambar and rasappodi ! ( tan-brahm way )..

anyone still like to know ?

mayflower
19th June 2006, 07:16 AM
miLagu kuzhambu :

Ingredients:

thurdal - 2 teaspoon
Red chillies - 1-2
pepper - 1 teasppon
curry leaves _ 1/2 cup
uraddal - 1/2 teaspoon
tamarind - small lemon size
asafoetida - little
oil - to fry
mustard seeds - for seasoning
salt to taste

vegetables : drumstick or dried mango ( called as kas mangai in thanjavur )

method :

soak tamarind in water and prepare puree about two glasses of measurement.
fry thurdal, redchillies, pepper, uraddal, curry leaves, hing and grind to fine paste.
add salt, vegetables to tamarind water and let it boil till the vegetables are done.
Add the paste and let it boil for 5-6 minutes or till it becomes like gravy.
season it with mustard seeds.

mix it with rice and ghee.

snake gourd or any sookha baji with coconut ( kari or poriyal.. whatever u say)
or any raitha.. ( thayir pachadi ) is a good combination.
this is very good for digestion.

cc

Sowmya
19th June 2006, 05:04 PM
Hi all
Tried "Irupuli kuzhambu" with keerai combo y'day( as per newcomer's suggestion!) .The taste was yummy.A must try combo. :thumbsup:

I picked up the recipe for the kuzhambu from SunTV cookery show.It was demonstrated by Mrs.Revathy Sankaran.It is almost the same as Newcomer's but with a couple of minor variations.

Let me know if anybody's interested.. will post the recipe.

Regards
Sowmya :)

Sowmya
19th June 2006, 05:11 PM
Sowmiya,
By the way arai puli kuzhambu means half puli kuzhambu? Hmm..i don't get it.

Kavitha
You are right.. but we do use the regular quantity of tamarind to prepare the dish.The tamarind flavour is reduced to half( :?: ) cos we are adding coconut too."arai puli kuzhambu" is a variety of vathal kuzhambu.Gen we don't add coconut to vathal kuzhambu right?Hence the name.(source: my authentic thanjavur MIL and relatives!)
My MIL is very pleased to see my interest in Thanjavur cooking of late :lol2:

Regards
sowmya

mayflower
19th June 2006, 06:50 PM
thanjavur kadappa :

ingredients :

potato - 1 (small)
carrot - 1 (small)
beans - 2-3
green chillies - 1-2 (as required)
onion - 1
garlic - 4-5 pods
ginger - 1 inch
cashewnuts - 3-4
bay leaf - 1
cloves - 2
salt - to taste
oil - required qty.

method :

cut the vegetables into small pieces.
grind garlic, onion, ginger, cashew, green chillies
into fine paste. (raw)
heat one teaspoon oil in a pan and fry bayleaf and cloves.
add vegetables and required quantity of water and
cook the vegetables till done.
add the paste and allow to boil for 5 mins.
after removing from the stove garnish with coriander leaves.

this is a popular side dish for idli and dosai in
kumbakonam and mayavaram areas. Of course, this is
a simple receipe only.

kavithasenthil
19th June 2006, 09:13 PM
Hi Sowmya,

Thanks for the explanation. i got it now :)

Tried ur coconut thuvayal yesterday. It was very tasty. Myself and my husband couldn't stop eating that. Thanks a bunch for the recipe.

newcomer
19th June 2006, 10:45 PM
Sowmya,

Glad you liked that combination, give your recipe for that iru puli kuzhambu, i will also try also.
It goes very well with Parrupu Usili too. Let meknow if anyone need the recipe.

Radha

newcomer
20th June 2006, 12:37 AM
Thanks Mayflower for the Kadappa recipe, will try soon and will let u know.

radha

dev
20th June 2006, 12:52 AM
Sowmya, pls post the recipe for irupuli kulambu & keerai...

mayflower, pls post he recipe for arai puli kulambu too...

kavithasenthil
20th June 2006, 02:31 AM
Dev,
pls post kollu rasam for me. Thanks.

dev
20th June 2006, 04:14 AM
Kavitha,

I have already posted it in Mrs.Mano's thread... if u r not able to find it,here's how I make it... pressure cook kollu(soaked overnight) in plenty of water until done. Strain the excess water. Heat oil, add mustard& let splutter... add jeera, curry leaves & dry chillies... fry... add asafoetids & a few crushed garlic...do not brown it... add little tamarind juice & let boil for a while...Add the kollu water...dilute it to ur taste by adding water... Add salt & chilly powder(or rasam powder) to taste...switch off as soon as it starts to boil...

P.S: Dilute the kollu water to your taste... some like it strong & some like it light... the outcome of the rasam depends mainly on this...So exercise cauton while adding water...

The sourness of tamarind shouldn't be overpowering... use in moderation...

mayflower
20th June 2006, 05:42 AM
simple milagu Seeraga rasam :

ingredients :

tamarind - 1 small lemon size
jeera (seeragam)- 1 teaspoon
pepper - 1/2 teaspoon
red chilly - 1
tur dhal - 1/2 teaspoon
curry leaves - req.
mustard seeds
salt
ghee

Method :

soak tamarind in 2 cups of water, strain the puree.
soak jeera, pepper, red chilly, thurdal for 5-6 mins
( dont soak for long time ) and grind together with 4-5
curry leaves coarsely.

Boil tamarind water with required salt for 5 mins.
Mix the paste with 3/4th cup of water and add to it.
when it starts to boil, ( remove the foamy layer ) remove
from fire and add fresh curry leaves.

season the mustard in ghee and add to rasam.

Note : no rasappodi, hing, tomato, garlic for this simple rasam.
Paruppu thuvaiyal is a good side dish for this rasam.

Sowmya
20th June 2006, 12:33 PM
Iru Puli Kuzhambu:
Ingredients:
vegs:brinjal(purple),drumsticks
Coconut-2 tbsp
tamarind- a small lemon sized ball (reduced quantity compared to kuzhambu,sambar requirements!)
sour Curds(use slighly sour curds only and not fresh curds!) - 1 cup

dry fry:
Red chillies-5-6
Methi Seeds-1/2 teaspoon

seasoning:
mustard,curryleaves,asafoetida

proc:
Cut the brinjals into fairly big cubes.Saute the veggies in little oil.Add tamarind extract to the vegs and allow it to cook in tamarind water.Add turmeric powder and salt.

Grind the fried items with coconut and mix it well with the curds(well beaten).Now simmer the flame and add the ground paste + curds mixture to the tamarind + vegs.Allow the contents to blend well.

Care to be taken wrt to flame adjustment as in case of morekuzhambu to prevent curdling.
Finally do the seasoning using gingelly oil.

Sowmya
20th June 2006, 12:41 PM
I prepared simple keerai as an accompaniment for Irupuli kuzhambu.

Keerai kootu
ingredients
cooked moong dhal-1 small cup
(pressure cooked moong + 1tsp jeera with little turmeric and mash well with hand)

palak (this variety greens tastes best for this kootu)-1 bunch
(finely chopped ,microwaved and mashed)

green chillies-2-3
jeera-1tsp
mustard-1 tsp

proc:

In kadai season mustard in oil,add jeera,finely chopped green chillies,saute briefly.Add the palak,moong dhal,sufficient salt and mix the contents well.

Regards
Sowmya :)

cynthia_a02
20th June 2006, 10:05 PM
Dear Radha,
tried ur iru puli kulambhu today.As u suggested i prepared keerai also.romba romba nalla irrunthathu.thanks a lot.

newcomer
21st June 2006, 01:52 AM
Glad you also liked iru puli kuzhambu cynthia_a02

newcomer
21st June 2006, 02:04 AM
Thanks Sowmya for sharing your recipe.

I make keerai even simple, not add moongdal.

Just cut and wash the keerai put it in the kadai and cover it will cook in 5 minutes add salt and then mix one spoon of rice flour in water and put in the keerai, so excess water will be absorbed. then I season separetely in little cocnut oil with mustard, red chillies hing and uraddal, add it to the keerai. Mix the seasoning before you serve, so the urad dal will be crunchy.

Now mix this keerai and Iru Puli Kuzhambu together and eat it with Thair sadam. My Fatherinlaw loves it this way

dev
21st June 2006, 06:56 AM
Thanks for the recipe sowmya & newcomer...:)

Sowmya
21st June 2006, 10:47 AM
Hi newcomer,mayflower
Can you post an easy way of preparing "paruppu usili"?I mean short cut way using microwave to cook the dhals?In addition to the traditional vegs like beans,kothavarakkai,carrot can other vegs also be used?I read somewhere about capsicum usili.. :roll:

Regards
Sowmya

dev
21st June 2006, 11:12 AM
Hi newcomer,mayflower
Can you post an easy way of preparing "paruppu usili"?I mean short cut way using microwave to cook the dhals?In addition to the traditional vegs like beans,kothavarakkai,carrot can other vegs also be used?I read somewhere about capsicum usili.. :roll:

Regards
Sowmya

I read abt broccoli parupu usli as well... yet to try it...:)

I made paruppu usli this way:- steam cook the ground dhal... I steam cooked the vegs along with the dhal(in 2 seperate layers of the idli plate)...Once done,crush the dhal balls & fry in a bit of oil with the seasoning until it becomes like bread crumbs...add vegs ,salt etc... fry for a few mins.... done... It took just the same time as for other sauteed veg dis... say 15 mins... the effective time it req ur attention is abt 5-7 mins...grinding dhals & placing in the plates for steaming & then the last step after steaming... I guess microwave cooking would also take the same time... :roll:

Sowmya
21st June 2006, 04:48 PM
Hi
Had previously posted these Thanjavur recipes in the Palakkad recipes thread.
So I am re-posting the same here.

parangikai paal kootu
ingredients:
tender parangikai(preferable)-250 gms
jaggery-a big lemon sized ball
coconut milk-1/4 cup
rice powder-1tsp
salt
seasoning-mustard + urad dhal+red chillies-2

proc:
Remove the skin of parangikai and cut into fine pieces.Season mustard , urad dhal and red chillies in a kadai and cook the veg with sufficient water and salt.Add jaggery and allow the ingredients to
mix well.Add the rice powder dissolved in water(dissolve the rice powder in very little water to form a thick paste) and mix well.Add coconut milk finally,heat briefly.Can add curry leaves

too.The final taste should be.. a mildly sweet dish,so add jaggery accordingly.

KADALAI KUZHAMBU

ingredients
tamarind-a small lemon sized ball
mustard seeds
channa dhal-2 tsp
asafoetida,turmeric,curry leaves -a few
broken red chillies-3-4
sambar powder-1-1/2 tbsp
cooked kabuli channa-1/2 cup
vegs suitable:brinjal,bittergourd,fresh manathakkali or chundakkai(slightly crushed)-1/2 cup-(use one veg at a time)
thick coconut milk-1/2 cup
proc:
Soak a lemon-sized tamarind in water and extract the thick juice . Pour 2tbsp gingelly oil in a kadai and heat it. Add 1sp mustard seeds and when they splutter, add 2tsp channa dhal , 2 spring curry leaves, a small piece of asafoetida and 5 red chillies. Add the veg and fry them on slow fire for a few minutes. Pour the tamarind extract, enough salt, 1sp turmeric powder and sambar powder,kabuli channa. Mix well and let the kuzhambu simmer for some minutes until the desired consistency and till veg is completly cooked.Add coconut milk finally and boil very briefly.Can also add a small piece of jaggery.(optional)

Race kuzhambu

ingredients:
channa dhal,moong dhal,urad dhal,thuvar dhal-1tsp each
asafoetida-a small piece
dhania-2 tsp
tamarind- a small lemon sized ball
pepper-6-8
methi seeds-1/ 2 tsp
raw rice-1/2 tsp
dry red chillies-6
green chillies-4-6 vertically slit
gingelly oil-10 tsp

vegs:brinjal or ladies finger.Drumstick-last choice
proc:
Dry fry methi seeds and rice seperately and the dhals,dhaniya,pepper,red chillies with oil till golden brown.Make a fine powder of the above.Saute the veg and green chillies well in oil.In a kadai heat oil season mustard,curry leaves.Pour the tamarind extract,add salt.Add the powder slowly stirring continously to avoid lump formation.Once it begins to boil Add the veg and mix well.Once the veg is completly cooked remove from fire.

Note:Raw Rice is optional if you are preparing the kuzhambu in small quantities.

Sowmya
21st June 2006, 04:49 PM
Thanks Dev :D

mayflower
21st June 2006, 06:04 PM
Hi newcomer,mayflower

Regards
Sowmya

HI sowmya

in addition to the vegetables mentioned to make "usili", you can use muttaigose(cabbage), avaraikkai,vazhai poo, kudamiLagai also. If nothing is available you can just use periya vengayam (bellary onion) also.

newcomer
21st June 2006, 10:26 PM
Hi Sowmya,

I heard cauliflower parapuusili is also good.
The way i do this is, Soak 1 cupof tuardal and one handful of channadal grind it with redchillies, salt and hing. Then microwave that adding little oil for 5 minutes. Then season with mustard seeds, uraddal and hing and add this mixture cook for sometime. Cut the vegs. and microwave it with salt then mix the vegs with parupu mixer and cook till the parupu gets separated.

Radha

mayflower
22nd June 2006, 06:09 AM
Hi SP

in Kadappa you can add 1/4 cup of coconut milk at the end before removing from fire.
it gives a rich taste.

we dont add tomatoes or curd in Kadappa as we do in Kuruma which gives sour taste.

mayflower
22nd June 2006, 07:45 AM
anyway therinja sollunga. apram kozhukattai nalla seiven. engamma rommmmmmmmmmmmmba nalla seivaanga. but 2 to 3 times aaaaa....... aavilerunthu edutha udan nalla irukku sapda (azhaga choppu senju........ not thick but thin and welmade) but konjam kazhchu kaanju poidarathu outer layer (maavu)
engamma solraanga its because of rice variety or WATER nnu.

it can happen if you use rice flour directly instead of soaking rice and grinding it.

add 1 tsp of sago(javvarisi) for one cup of rice. soak it and grind it.

else u can add 3/4 tsp of gingelly oil (nalleNNai) before kneading.

You can also do both the things.

this will help you maintain the soft texture of the outer layer.

bingleguy
22nd June 2006, 08:49 AM
Puli uppumaa is one of my favourite tiffin dish !

dev
22nd June 2006, 09:07 AM
Puli uppumaa is one of my favourite tiffin dish !

:evil:

bingleguy
22nd June 2006, 09:23 AM
<digr>
dev ! :shock: :roll: enna aachu !? en muraikireenga ?

dev
22nd June 2006, 11:02 AM
<digr>
dev ! :shock: :roll: enna aachu !? en muraikireenga ?

ippo :) :)...neenga thaan ennai cooldown pannitengale!!!... :D

bingleguy
22nd June 2006, 11:37 AM
:lol: Upma kku poittu vandhuteengala ;-)

dev
22nd June 2006, 12:01 PM
:lol: Upma kku poittu vandhuteengala ;-)

yep... :wink: :lol:

mayflower
24th June 2006, 05:38 AM
Paal kozhukattai

Ingredients

1. Rice - 1 cup
2. Jaggery - 1 cup
3. Coconut grated - 1 cup
4. Elaichi powder - 1 tsp

Method
Grind coconut and extract milk.
Soak rice in water for half an hour. Grind it into fine paste.
Add water to the rice paste and make it to dosa batter consistency.
Place a non stick kadai on the stove add the batter, stir continuously to make thick dough. Remove from fire.
Make small balls out of it. Keep aside.
Mix powdered Jaggery in two cups of water. Heat it. Once it dissolves, strain to remove dirt.
Again boil and make it into syrup. (apprx 5 mts).
Add the balls one by one and cook for five more mts.
Finally add the coconut milk to the syrup and switch off the fire.
Add elaichi powder to it.

Noodles
13th July 2006, 12:47 PM
Can any one post typical Brahmim Sambar recipe and powders for sambar and rasam

mayflower
13th July 2006, 06:48 PM
Can any one post typical Brahmim Sambar recipe and powders for sambar and rasam

Do you like to know about "dry sambar podi" which can be prepard and kept for making sambar ( in thanjavur district ) or instant powder of Tirunelveli district ?

dsankaran
13th July 2006, 09:12 PM
Nice thread.

Someone had asked about Instant Paruppu Usili. The easiest way (and I do it very often) is to steam cook veggies in the pressure cooker. Meanwhile, dry roast udaicha kadalai (a handful) or ground nuts (I don't prefer this 'cos of the fat content), Red chillies. Add some perungayam and salt and powder this. You could add dry curry leaves if you have some. In a pan, add one tsp oil, temper with kadugu, jeeragam, ulutham paruppu, perungaayam. Add the steamed veggies and 1/2 of the salt you require (remember, half salt is in the powder). Saute it until veggies are cooked but crunchy. Simmer the stove, add the powder, mix well and keep closed on the stove for a few mins only. Done!

You can do this with pretty much any veggie - cabbage, cauliflower, broccoli, carrot, capsicum, green beans or sliced kovaikkai.

Noodles
15th July 2006, 10:58 AM
Dear Mayflower

Pls post Tanjavore Type Podi recipes

madhu
17th July 2006, 05:59 AM
sambar milagai podi

red chillies - 250 gm
dhaniya - 250 gm
pepper - 50 gm
turmeric sticks - 2-3
methi seeds - 2-3 tsp
thur dal - 100 gm

dry all the ingredients in direct sunlight,
grind it to very fine powder and store it
in air tight box.

mayflower
14th June 2007, 12:00 PM
Badaam kheer

Ingredients

badam nuts - 15 to 20
cashewnuts - 10
carrot - 1 medium size
sugar - 1/2 cup
milk - 1/2 litre
saffron, yelachi powder
colour - optional

Method

soak badam in water and peal. soak cashew too.
pressure cook carrot and grind together with peeled badam
and cashew to fine paste.

Boil milk. add paste. when it starts boiling add sugar.
Boil for 5 minutes. ( keep stirring in between )

add saffron and yelaichi powder.

Serve hot or cold.

pavalamani pragasam
14th June 2007, 01:06 PM
jOdiyaa vanthu asaththureengalaa? :roll: Nov mayflower sappaattai pukaznthu thaLLiyathum, madhu En :slurp: icon athikam use paNRaarnnu purinjsikittathaa sonnathum, appuRamum madhu 'size' unsize-aaga aagaamal iruppathu paRRi aachchariyapattathum ninaivilEyE nikkuthu! :lol: enakkum vaayppu varaamalaa pOkum antha thivya uNavai rusikka? :D

Shakthiprabha.
14th June 2007, 01:15 PM
anyway therinja sollunga. apram kozhukattai nalla seiven. engamma rommmmmmmmmmmmmba nalla seivaanga. but 2 to 3 times aaaaa....... aavilerunthu edutha udan nalla irukku sapda (azhaga choppu senju........ not thick but thin and welmade) but konjam kazhchu kaanju poidarathu outer layer (maavu)
engamma solraanga its because of rice variety or WATER nnu.

it can happen if you use rice flour directly instead of soaking rice and grinding it.

add 1 tsp of sago(javvarisi) for one cup of rice. soak it and grind it.

else u can add 3/4 tsp of gingelly oil (nalleNNai) before kneading.

You can also do both the things.

this will help you maintain the soft texture of the outer layer.

hi mayflower.

I just saw ur posting now :oops:

I have come to the conclusion, that, ITS BECAUSE OF THE RICE we get here. ITS very SOFT, when served hot. I do knead it with gingely oil.

I think should try out SAGO :?

thanks for the idea :idea: :D

suvai
29th July 2007, 02:21 AM
Awesome thread!!

Dsankaran.....didnt know that thidir paruppu usili can be made in yr way.....ty for sharing.....:-) pannitu solaren epadi irunthichi nu....;-)

mayflower....ty for the sambar podi....measurements....will try it & let u know....thirunelveli sambar podi yum share pannunga mayflower plz

bingleguy......epadi irukeenga!....onga puli uppuma recipe engalukum konjam sollungalen...plzzz.

ipadiku.............suvai...:-)

mayflower
7th August 2007, 05:11 PM
thank you Suvai. But my Tirunelveli sambar podi may not be an authentic one as I just learnt it from others and I am not from Tirunelveli.

mayflower
7th August 2007, 05:13 PM
Mor rasam
( simple receipe to have during feverish spell )
(This is good especially during evening / night dinner )

ingredients

buttermilk ( slightly sour ) - 1 1/2 cups
turmeric powder - a pinch
omam - 3/4 teaspoon
mustard seeds - 1/2 tea spoon
green chilly - 1
curry leaves
salt
oil - little
rice flour - 1/4 tsp

Method

mix rice flour, salt, turmeric powder with butter milk.
Heat a tawa with little oil. Add mustard, omam, cut green chilly,
curry leaves and season. Add buttermilk mix.
When it starts to boil remove from the stove.
Do not over boil. Mix it with plain rice.
Rice pappad is a good combination as side dish.

dev
27th March 2008, 09:50 AM
revived...

suvai
17th August 2008, 08:50 PM
Mayflower....."just learnt from others recipe of the Thirunelveli sambar podi" engalukum sollunga...;-) thanks.........s

dev
6th July 2009, 08:12 PM
milagootal recipe please...

Sudha oodi vandhu recipe post pannumga paarkalaam...;)

madhu
6th July 2009, 08:24 PM

தேவையான பொருட்கள்:

* பெங்களூர் கத்திரிக்காய் - 1
* வெந்த துவரம் பருப்பு - 1 சிறிய கப்
* தேங்காய் - 1 மூடி
* சீரகம் - 1 ஸ்பூன்
* காய்ந்த மிளகாய் - 2
* தேங்காய் எண்ணை - 1 ஸ்பூன்
* உப்பு - தேவையான அளவு
* கறிவேப்பிலை - ஒரு கொத்து

* பெங்களூர் கத்திரிக்காயை நறுக்கி உப்பு போட்டு வேக வைக்கவும்.
* தேங்காய், காய்ந்த மிளகாய், சீரகம் மூன்றையும் அரைத்து வெந்த காயுடன் சேர்க்கவும்.
* அரைத்த விழுதையும் சேர்க்கவும்.
* சேர்ந்து வந்ததும் இறக்கி தேங்காய் எண்ணையில் கடுகு, காய்ந்த மிளகாய், கறிவேப்பிலை தாளிக்கவும்.

madhu
6th July 2009, 08:25 PM
BTW,,,

கீரையிலேயும் மிளகூட்டல் செய்யலாம்.
அது தஞ்சாவூர் பக்கத்தில் பிரசித்தம் இல்லை.
பாலக்காட்டுலதான் பாப்புலர்...

:slurp:

ksen
6th July 2009, 08:35 PM
madhu - oru chowchowkku oru moodi thEngai romba over :D

dev
6th July 2009, 08:39 PM
Thanks Madhu... senju paarkiren...

Aamam, milagootalil milagu irukkadha?...:roll:

sudha india
6th July 2009, 09:05 PM
Dev, PM parunga.

madhu
6th July 2009, 11:23 PM
Thanks Madhu... senju paarkiren...

Aamam, milagootalil milagu irukkadha?...:roll:

dev... enakku smaiyal pathi oNNumE theriyAdhu..
mayflower kitte kEttu solREn.
indha recipe yEdho oru site-la irundhu suttadhu :mrgreen:

rajraj
7th July 2009, 02:34 AM
I will be at your home in January 2010 for this ! :lol:

தேவையான பொருட்கள்:

* பெங்களூர் கத்திரிக்காய் - 1
* வெந்த துவரம் பருப்பு - 1 சிறிய கப்
* தேங்காய் - 1 மூடி
* சீரகம் - 1 ஸ்பூன்
* காய்ந்த மிளகாய் - 2
* தேங்காய் எண்ணை - 1 ஸ்பூன்
* உப்பு - தேவையான அளவு
* கறிவேப்பிலை - ஒரு கொத்து

* பெங்களூர் கத்திரிக்காயை நறுக்கி உப்பு போட்டு வேக வைக்கவும்.
* தேங்காய், காய்ந்த மிளகாய், சீரகம் மூன்றையும் அரைத்து வெந்த காயுடன் சேர்க்கவும்.
* அரைத்த விழுதையும் சேர்க்கவும்.
* சேர்ந்து வந்ததும் இறக்கி தேங்காய் எண்ணையில் கடுகு, காய்ந்த மிளகாய், கறிவேப்பிலை தாளிக்கவும்.

madhu
7th July 2009, 06:51 AM
வாத்தியாரையா :bow:

welcome..

madhu
7th July 2009, 06:58 AM
[tscii:ec2c9e0734]idhO innoru sutta receipe :mrgreen:

idhu keerai miLagoottal..

:slurp:

Keerai (spinach) is rich in iron, vitamin A, B, and C is a very wholesome vegetable.
It can be made with Are keerai (amaranthis), dhondu keerai, molai keerai (found mostly in TN), parippu keerai (available in Karnataka), spinach keerai (palak), shiru keerai (good diuretic).

Keerai (spinach/greens/palak): 300g
Toor dal: ¾ cup
grated coconut: ½ cup
mustard: 1 tsp
urad dal: 2 tsp
red chilli: 1
jeera: ½ tsp
turmeric powder: 1tsp
salt: to taste
Oil: 1tbsp

Wash and drain the greens, and cook. Cool. And grind to a paste. Pressure cook the toor dal with turmeric powder. Heat 1 tsp of the oil, add 1 tsp urad dal and 1 red chilli broken into bits, fry till the dal is pink in color. Remove. Grind coconut with fried dal and chilli and the jeera to a smooth paste. Boil the spinach puree with salt. Add the cooked toor dal and boil for 5 minutes. Add the ground coconut paste and add enough water to get pouring consistency. Boil. Remove from the stove. Heat the remaining oil, add the mustard seeds when they splutter, add the remaining urad dal, when the dal turns pink, pour into the keerai molagootal.

Can be eaten with rice, chapatti, dosa, pooris etc.
Accompaniments: Thogayal, Thair pachadi, Pachadi, Pulikachal.[/tscii:ec2c9e0734]

dev
7th July 2009, 12:02 PM
Madhu, this recipe is very close to Sudha's version... Only variation is she adds a spoon of peppercorns sauteed in oil to the ingredients to be ground... I liked the flavour & taste of milagu in the curry... Otherwise it would be more like araichu vitta sambar i believe...

sudha india
7th July 2009, 02:41 PM
Dev, I think arachuvitta sambar will have kadalai paruppu and kanja milagai and malli.

This kootu has ulundu paruppu and pepper and seeragam

dev
7th July 2009, 02:48 PM
oh yes, adhula malli irukkumngaradhe marandhutten... Cook panni avalo naal aagidichu...;)

dev
8th July 2009, 12:08 AM
Sudha, tried ur milagootal with spinach & everyone at home loved it... thanks a lot for the superb recipe...:thumbsup:

Appapo traditional brahmin recipes post pannungalen pls...

sudha india
8th July 2009, 11:53 AM
Dev....... I am really happy to know this. naan edirpakkave ille.

Kugan pm panni iurndhanga. I told her about our meet. Mudinja indha recipe nalla ezhudhi post pannunga.

Hope you tried with Mulai keerai or thandu keerai. Indha keeraithan milagootalukku nalla irukkum.

dev
8th July 2009, 06:05 PM
It was thandu keerai... Neenga anuppinadhe nalla thaane irukku... adhai Kugan's threadla post pannuren...maybe I'll add the measurements...

suma
7th September 2009, 06:59 PM
Hi guys,
Although I am new to blogging, I have been following this thread for a long time.
Does anyone know how to make Horsegram appalam - kollu appalam. Its been a long time since I had that, and now I just cannot keep my mind away from it .Thanks in advance

mayflower
16th January 2011, 07:01 AM
மஞ்சள் ஊறுகாய்

பசுமஞ்சள் - 100 கிராம் ( இப்போது பொங்கல் சமயத்தில் எல்லா இடங்களிலும் கிடைக்கும் )
மிளகாய் வற்றல் - 10
வெந்தயம் - 1/2 டீஸ்பூன்
க்டுகு - 1/2 டீஸ்பூன்
உப்பு - தேவையான அளவு
நல்லெண்ணெய் - தேவையான அளவு
கட்டிப் பெருங்காயம் - ஒரு சிறிய துண்டு

செய்முறை
பசுமஞ்சளைக் கழுவி தோல் சீவி காரட் துருவுவது போலத் துருவி வைத்துக் கொள்ளவும்.

கட்டிப் பெருங்காயத்தை கொஞ்சமாக எண்ணெய் விட்டுப் பொரித்து வைத்துக் கொள்ளவும்.

மிளகாய் வற்றலையும் வெந்தயத்தையும் வெறும் வாணலியில் ( வாசனை வரும் வரை ) வெந்தயம் பொரியும் வரை வறுத்துக் கொள்ளவும். பின் பெருங்காயத்துடன் சேர்த்து எல்லாவற்றையும் மிக்ஸியில் நைசாக பொடிக்கவும்.

வாணலியில் எண்ணையை விட்டு கடுகு தாளித்து துருவிய மஞ்சளைப் போட்டு 5 நிமிடம் வதக்கவும். பிறகு உப்பு, அரைத்து வைத்திருக்கும் பொடி ஆகியவற்றைச் சேர்த்து இரண்டு நிமிடங்கள் கிளறி அடுப்பிலிருந்து இறக்கவும்.

ஆறிய பிறகு ஊறுகாய் ஜாடியில் பத்திரப் படுத்தவும.

( இது கொலஸ்டிராலை கட்டுக்குள் வைத்திருக்கும் என்று சொல்லுவார்கள்.

எந்த ஊறுகாய்க்குமே ஸ்பூனை உபயோகப் படுத்தும்போது ஈரம் இல்லாமல் பார்த்துக் கொள்ளவும் )