PDA

View Full Version : Celery

Kz
24th April 2006, 10:03 PM
Celery is a good source for vitamin C and also good for reducing cholestrol and blood pressure. With so many benefits from it i was looking ways to include it in our daily diet.

Any tips on how to store,clean and use celery? other than using it in salads or soups is there anyway to cook them?

I got a big bunch of it with no leaves on them.the outer stalk is thick and hard. is it ususally like that or i didn't buy them properly?

Thanks
Kz

ssanjinika
24th April 2006, 10:14 PM
It is usually like that kz.You can store them in a cool dry place(the fridge is a good place :) ) for quite some time.Ive had them for almost 3-4 weeks without anything happening to them.Just dont fully cover it up with plastic.Moisture forms inside the plastic cover and that will make the celery go bad.Celery is usually used in Italian cooking quite a bit.It can be added to pasta sauces and had with pasta.
Celery is grown in sandy soil and hence there will be sand inside the bunch.Best way to clean them would be to seperate the stalk(remove from the bunch ) and clean it in running water.

ayeshasadique
25th April 2006, 12:09 AM
when making vegetable korma, i add celery too along with other veggies!!

ayeshasadique
25th April 2006, 12:10 AM
chicken/meat with celery turned good too!!

Kz
25th April 2006, 11:18 PM
Thankyou Sanjinika and Ayesha.
I will try adding it to pasta sauce.
Kz