PDA

View Full Version : Tamil thesaurus for English words and phrases

Oldposts
12th December 2004, 08:33 AM
Topic suggested by Udhaya (udhayak@yahoo.com) on Tue Oct 13 09:26:12 .

I was hoping this thread could serve to expand our Thamizh vocabulary, personally I would benefit a lot from it. For instance, I would like to know the Thamizh equivalent for "irony".

Oldposts
muraNpAdu?

Oldposts
Whats the thamizh word for "stereotype"?

Oldposts
orEmAdhiriyAna?

Oldposts
Gokul,
muranpadu is straightforward and mostly means "breach". But it's still better than what I could think of.
Stereotype was a toughie! How about "thaniththanmai maruththal"? I know it's too wordy though.

Oldposts
Gokul,

how about 'achchu kOththaarpOla' - it is just the literal meaning for 'stereotype'. i think balaji and udhaya have covered the other meanings-'unvarying form' and 'not original or individualized'.

Oldposts
Reka,Udhaya,Balaji

I guess it is difficult to get one word for such
words.

Kanchana,arUL what do you guys think?

Oldposts
irony is something like a vEdhanaiyAna nagaichchuvai. my own
"creation" for this word would be "annagai" (alladhu + nagai; alladhu
is opposite of nalladhu!!). Or may be thInagai would be an apt and short
word. Too old sounding???

will try something for sterotype also, soon.

Oldposts
what is the thamizh word for "cliche"?? whenever i see a normal thamizh film, the thought that springs to my mind is "it is highly cliched". but several people don't know the english usage and i am not able to translate into thamizh.

Oldposts
balaji,
"araitha maavu" is the Thamizh cliche to describe cliche.

Oldposts
Udhaya, ..:-))

Oldposts
Irony does not have any meaning to do with humor of the negative kind (vEdhanaiyAna nagaichchuvai). Sarcasm is closer to it.

Merriam-Webster's dictionary:
irony: [Gk. eiron: dissembler] the use of words to express the opposite of what one really means; incongruiyty between the actual result of a sequence of events and the expected result.

Given this muran or murnbAdu would be candidates;
But muran should be good enough. Because muran directly means contrast or incongruity.
The principle to follow is to use as concise a phrase or word as possible. MuranbAdu would be superfluous. I find people attempting to suggest long phrases taken from sample sentences that use the concept. This results in longer words or phrases than necessary. Also we, in these days of unsophisticated usage of Tamil, tend to forget or shy away from compact Tamil words that are actually able to accurately and elegantly convey the meaning of the target english word.

Stereotype: a metal printing plate cast from mold made from a set type; something agreeing with a pattern especially an idea that many people have about a thing or a group and that may often be untrue or partly true.

achchukkOrththArppOla is not a noun equivalent to the noun stereotype. achchu seems to be the equivalent of mold; achchukkOrppu equivalent of set type. casting is vArththal and cast is vArrppu like in "puthiyavArppugal"; then I wonder
if achchuvArppu or vArppu if one wanted to literally translate the first meaning. if one wanted to have an equivalent Tamil word matching only the second meanining one has more freedom.

nandri...
chandra.

Oldposts
Chandrasekaran,
We are not deliberately shying away from a compact word, we are infact searching for it. The very reason behind this thread is to get more sophisticated with our Thamizh vocabulary.

I appreciate your in depth response for each word. I still don't feel that muran captures the full meaning of irony because irony is not just a contrast, it also stands for a poignant turn of events (If a writer didn't possess a pen, it would be an ironic circumstance; if a cigarette company owner died of lung cancer there is irony there). Either through usage or its vagueness, the word irony packs a lot of meaning that covers a range of moods and situations.

Oldposts
Udhaya,

Thanks for your response. I would like to clarify that I was not saying that people *deliberately* shy away from compact words. I meant that people do it subconsciously or as a habit due to subconscious sociolinguistic habits, complexes and compulsions. I apologize if it sounded otherwise and you or anyone else.

Now to address using muran for irony, I had quoted the text of the meaning for that word from the abovementioned dictionary. To see whether poignant turn of events is covered by irony, I checked the dictionary again and am quoting the text for the text of the meaning for the word poignant:

poignant: adj:1. painfully affecting the feelings
2. deeply moving.

Now irony seems to hardly cover poigant turn of events. The focus of irony is still incongruity or contrast. And muran should be able to take care of "irony".

Of course, I would like to refer to an English-Tamil dictionary produced by an organization such as a university or research institute or some authority. I am sure they have done the research already. Does anyone know an abridged version of such a dictionary? I understand that there is the Tamil lexicon which is voluminous which is worth keepig in one's library anyway.

Nandri,
chandra

Oldposts
I don't want to belabor the point but there are many forms of irony: dramatic, tragic, Socratic, etc. All of them can't be cloaked under one word such as muran. But I hope we can move onto other words and phrases. BTW, English-Tamil and Tamil-English dictionaries do exist. I have both and I will check there too, but some of the words they give are archaic or longwinded.

Oldposts
here are some words that i have not been able to get a GOOD thamizh equivalent:
volatile
thesaurus
prototype

Oldposts
Is Thesaurus diff from dictionary. If it is not then agarAthi?
[This word means something else in Trichy, JR?:-)]

Oldposts
:-)

Oldposts
Gokul: Dictionary gives the meaning of words. Theasarus gives the equivalent words. ( very useful when solving crosswords).

Dictionary is agarAthi.

Does the concept of theasarus there in our language?

sorkalanjiam - na encyclopaedia va ?

Oldposts
nigaNdu.

There exist a few classic nigaNdu's in Tamil
some of which are pingalam and thivAgaram.

chandra

Oldposts
Thanks JR, Chandra!

Oldposts
Platform-?

Oldposts
Sathiya,

thaLam?

Oldposts
thaLam seems to be good. Any other more
natural translation?

Oldposts
agaraathi - gets its coinage because words
are arranged 'beginning in agaram' (alphabet) agaramudhali enpadhu adhan sendhamizh vadivam.

prototype? mun-madhiri?

stereotype - pazhagiya padivam?

irony - muraN enbadhe sari. In fact I have
heard dramatic irony getting translated as "Naadaga muraN"

araitha mavu for cliche - is excellent lateral thinking. I like your approach of looking beyond the words into their meanings and coming back with equivalents.

BTW, What is the word for 'lateral thinking'?

Oldposts
Chandra

There is a beautiful thamizh dictionary called
'Tharkaala thamizh agaraathi' published by
Kriya Bangalore. I have seen it but do not
have a copy. It is really a marvelous research
publication compiled around 1991-93. It lists a lot of coloquial words and usages.

what is the word for 'specialization' as in
work specialization?

Oldposts
maybe, thesarus could be also translated as 'poruLagaraathi' - because a thesarus groups
words by their meanings. The synonym function
is not as important as the overall framework, whereby you get words closer in meaning next
to each other in the list and in adjacent pages.
Roget's thesarus was converted into
a dictionary format only later.

Oldposts
Rjay,

Specialization as a word means "thaniththanmai".
But I guess it is not adequate for your context.
Chandra?

Also. I came across these two words recently.

Variety - vagaimai ( I bet there are other simple words for variety)

Index - AttavaNai.

Oldposts
Chandra, Rjay, and Gokul,
thanks for your further scrutiny. I have always wondered if there were Thamizh equivalents for non-primary colors.
Are there words for Brown,Purple,Burgundy,violet, etc.?
I know we have kili pachchai and ilaip pachchai to differentiate shades. But I have only heard "mara niram" to express brown. Is there a better word?

Oldposts
brown - pazhuppu
oodhA - violet
karunIlam - indigo
kAvi - orange (saffron)

As for other colors, I cannot recall immediately
the equivalent Tamil words.
Other please pitch in!

Oldposts
RJay,
Thanks for informing me about the existence of 'Tharkaala thamizh agaraathi'.
I will keep that in mind next time I shop for
Tamil books.

Chandra

Oldposts
The New Merriam-Webster Dictionary defines
Specialize: vb. To concentrate one's efforts in a special activity or field; also: to change in an adaptive manner. ---speicalization n.

I think that thaniththanmai would be difficult to justify in the light of this.
I cannot recall a Tamil equivalent right away.
But thaniththanmai seems to imply specialty
specialty (a particular quality or detail ; a product of a special kind or of special excellence).
Then a shorter equivalent to match this sense (specialty) would be siRappu or veeRu.

I like vagaimai very much at least from the point of view of using short (based on the number of syllables) Tamil words. I would like to contrast
vagaimai with thaniththanmai: the suffix -mai by itself already has the sense of "thanmai" or property or quality or state; thw word thanmai then in thaniththanmai would be redundant.
Of course we might feel uncomfortable with the alternative which is thanimai;
In these days of sorry state of affairs of Tamil which we have set out to change, the space of other potential senses of that word seems to have been arrogated by the obvious sense of "loneliness". I am saying other *potential* senses, because I do not know if the word thanimai has been or could be used in other senses. But I won't be surprised if that were the case.
The principle followed is teh same as in paring the suffix -pAdu from muraNpAdu to arrive at muran. I feel that a key to the success of Tamil is using short words that might at first not seem appropriate either because it is unusually short or it already has a more common sense. I feel tha this will be a scaleable principle.
Too many compound words spoil the attractiveness.
Take for example replacing "surgery" or "operation" in modern Tamil. One would immediately think of "aRuvai-ch-chigichchai"; I beg to differ with that as an effective candidate. I feel aruVai
should suffice. I actually have been using this in my phone conversations with my relatives when referring to such incidents ("mAmAvukku sundu viralle aRuvai senchAngalAme") I feel that using the compound alternative would sound too artificial or long. Of course I would worry less about the former feeling than the latter. But to have this practicable by the average Tamil aspirant, we need to consider all aspects; even then, the speaker has to ultimately have some conviction and guts to regularly use Tamil equivalents in colloquial settings.

As I have said before under a different thread
("Future of Thamizh"), the first step is to stop
using "panni thamizh"; stop worrying about threat to Tamil from modern concepts such as Internet and
stop replacing Tamil words for age-old concepts such as days of the week (use thingaL instead of Monday etc), verbs and nouns (vAdagai instead of rent, kazhuththu instead of neck, vali instead of pain, vizhA instead of function...)...or simplest of all nanRi instead of thanks....can we do it...
I was also guilty of this ...and I have actually started practising this. In the last few weks I greeted relatives (8 year olds through 46 year olds) and friends for birth days and deepavali using the word vAzhththugaL...I never used the english words "Happy", "greetings"; neither instead of no in addiiton to the Tamil words. It works fine...you just have to have the initial feelings worked out.
Replacing Tamil words with English words for such concepts is what is killing Tamil and not usage of
words like internet or airport which come by every now and then.

Well I suppose this is enough for the day and for a thread not titled exactly to accommodate this...

nanRi
Chandra

Oldposts
what's the best Thamizh word for "juxtapose"?

Oldposts
juxtapose means to place side by side: like in juxtapose unexpected combinations of colors, shapes and ideas.
so i guess a straightforward translation will be aduthaduthu vaithal. i think a better meaning will be "korthal" as in poo korthal. it blends itself well into the profundity given by usage of juxtaposition.

Oldposts
i mean , kOrthal and not korthal.

Oldposts
I was browsing through the Kazhagath Thmizh Agarathi and voila:
neutral - nodhumal

nodhumal - ayal; viruppu veRuppu inmai.
nodhumalar - ayalAr.

Contrast this with nANbar and pagaivar.
I feel we have a beautiful word for neutral!.

Oldposts
balaji, thanks for the kOrthal suggestion.
chandra, nodhumal and ayal are both good finds. I can't wait to use them in some context.

Oldposts
thannIrmai = personality; individuality

(please help me with this; what is that kuRaL that ends with

thannIrmai kunRA vidil? )

Oldposts
About kOrthal:
folks please note that the correct word is
'kOththal' not 'kOrththal'.
that is the root word is 'kO' = to string together
etc. there is no 'kOr'.
Silappathikaaram:
"kOvaa malaiyaaram kOththa katalaaram"
[chapter: aaychchiyar kuravai?]
here aaram has two meanings: sandal and pearl.
"the aaram from the mountains (sandal) that is not strung together and the aaram from the ocean (pearl) that is strung together".

There are a whole lot of Tamil poetic works
who belong to the 'mummaNikkOvai' genre:
I forgot the definition but it is to do with
composing the book with three different types of
paas, the three different types of gems (for example veNpaas, aasiriya viruththams, kaliththuRai ) alternating in the sequence (kOvai).
e.g.,
Chithampara MummaNikkOvai

chandra

Oldposts
romba low-techaana kElvi.. zero-kku thamizh vaarthai enna? poojiyam, sypher-nnu namma use pannara vaarthai ellam vERRu mozhi sorkaLaavE irukkE? muttai was the only tamil word we could think for it, although it is only colloquial. :-)

Oldposts
chuzhi

Oldposts
Chandra: Thanks. En ithu onnu rendu moonu aLavukku prabalamA illai?

Oldposts
Because Tamilians have an enormous amount of
inferiority complex when it comes to using
Tamil words even for concepts (such as names for days and such common things) for which Tamil
words were being employed colloquially until
the last generation.
The very people who are supposed to be the guardians of our heritage startedthe this trend of
destruction...
editors of Tamil periodicals, Tamil writers, movie
playwrigths, movie lyricists...and so on.

This has resulted in the "paNNith thamizh" complex!
(please refer to my earlier postings in this thread on that topic).
Now even those people who have hardly any education have started using paNNIth thmizh
as witnessed in movies and in real life.
I am reminded of a witticism that circulates
in stock market literature that goes something like "when even the shoe polisher starts talking about the stock market then it is time to pull out
your stocks" [it was actually uttered by some guy of
the stature of JP Morgan just before the 30s crash].

I think the same applies here.
Now to convey one's scholarship you have to start
talking in good Tamil!
I mean it seriously. I feel that the mark of
scholarship is to be able to speak fluently in a language in an elegant fashion. period.
And also ultimately to *act* as guardians of one's
heritage.
This is the same as saying that play by the rule.
Uneducated people nowadays cannot speak good Tamil or good English either. Even the otherwise
educated people have started looking like this.
Also being educated simply does not end with
getting a degree in engineering, science or some
such area. It is just vocational training.
This corresponds to the craftsmenship of the days of yore: we had sculptors, medicine men, goldsmiths, woodworkers etc. But the real educated people were those that knew the strategic aspects of heritage and acted as guardians of it: the poets and other intellectuals recognized by Kings and fellow intellectuals.
As I said before, they not only knew what heritage meant and what it takes to protect it but they had
the ultimate test of scholarship: to be able to *act* concretely in order to protect the heritage.
I recommend watching the movie starring Charlton Heston titled "A Man for All Seasons". It is to do
with hiw Sir Thomas Moore stood up to King Henry VIII in the dispute over the latter's manipulations to break off from the Pope in order to divorce his current wife to marry another.
Sir Thomas Moore was a top scholar and was
holding Chancellorship at that time.
We have to do decide what we want to be.
People have to make a start somewhere, in practice.

chandra

Oldposts
chandra, well said!! i think the reason is simpler than this. we just haven't given ourselves enough education to think in thamizh, to paraphrase certain things in thamizh, and to communicate effectively in thamizh. this basic education is what is lacking in us(ungaLaich chollalai!) that prevents us from using thamizh in communication. we are better off paraphrasing in english and adding paNNi to it to make it a thamizh sentence. i for one suffered quite a bit due to this factor. as i had mentioned to u in a mail, my formal education in thamizh was quite poor and my vocabulary was worse.
the bane is due to a whole generation coming up without knowing good thamizh words, without making effective usage of them, and lacking an impulse(or an inertia) to preserve thamizh. in fact, it is a sad situation that we need to talk about preserving a language, rather than talking about making it flourish even further. the end result is a lack of difference between colloquial usage and literary usage, deterioration of the usage of good thamizh words, idioms and phrases, failure to grasp the inner shades and meanings of thamizh words(and their profundity) and finally a stripped off language which is going to be passed over to the next generation...

Oldposts
chandra: ennOda kELvi vEra.. onnu rendu moonu pOnRa thamizh vaarthaigaL paravala ubayOgapaduththum pOthu, En suzhi-ngratha ubayOgippathillai?

Oldposts
Ravi...
The answer that I gave was intended to answer precisely your question. I think you thought I was answering a different question because you think there are technical reasons why suzhi is not being in as wide a usage as are other names for thr rest of the numerals. But there are no *technical* reasons why it has happended. It was and is all social.
That was why I cited paNNith thamizh. What would your answer be if someone why is that you Tamil guys cannot say "thhingkal kizhamai paarkkalaama?" instead of "monday meet paNNalaama?".

Hope I have clarified my point.

chandra

Oldposts
We often wonder what the Tamil equivalen might be
for the English phrase "touch wood" to express
one's wish to ward off "evil eye".

I am proposing the following:
"pallaaNtu pallaaNtu".

What is the basis?

Rememebr the follwing poem:
"
pallaaNtu pallaaNtu pallaayi raththaaNtu palakOti n-URaayiram
mallaaNta thiNtOL maNivaNNaavun chEvati chevvith thirukkaappu."

This (as the kaappu of a decade or pathikam or 10-piece composition) was sung by Periyaazvaar (father of ANtaaL)
when he wished to ward off evil eye on Thirumaal
himself!

I feel that this would be suitable as it exactly captures the sentiments in question in fashion highly traceable to antiquity (about 600+ AD.)

chandra
Atlanta,GA
periannan.chandrasekaran@delta-air.com

Oldposts
"OnLine Tamil Lexicon"
----------------------
I came across the following when searching the
On-Line Tamil Lexicon:

------------
vEy

1. bamboo; 2. bamboo rod; 3. tube, anything hollow; 4. the seventh naks2atra ; 5. covering, roofing; 6. mansion; 7.
karma; 8. yal ; 9. composition, as of a song

1. report, as of a spy; 2. spy; 3. theme describing the choice of spies
--------

It is intriguing to see the second sense that covers report and spy. Of course we are reminded of the word "vEvu" for spying.
Even in the first sense, "anything hollow" is an epiphany in the sense that this in isolation provides a short and cute term for hollow things
and in general a scheme or basis for a policy for arriving at short and logical terms for technical and non-technical concepts.

Please visit the OTL at
http://www.uni-koeln.de/phil-fak/indologie/tamil/otl_search.html. (http://www.uni-koeln.de/phil-fak/indologie/tamil/otl_search.html.
)

The search menu always provides searching for the meaning of a Tamil word or looking for entries of Tamil words containing the english word in its description.

Also some important aspects of the transliteration scheme used by the OTL is not what we normally use but it is an academically used standard.
Remember to encode the written form not the spoken
form to understand the scheme.
e.g.:
tamiz (the language)
tamiznATu (the tamil country)
tagkam (gold)--->"g" always stands for the "ng" sound.
tAkam (thirst) --->do not try to use g here!
pajncu (cotton) -->do not try "panchu" or "panjchu"
pacu (cow) -->do not try "pasu"
pan2Ri (pig) ----->remember to put teh "2"

Please read for the txln scheme, the page:
http://www.uni-koeln.de/phil-fak/indologie/tamil/otl.html. (http://www.uni-koeln.de/phil-fak/indologie/tamil/otl.html.
)
You can get to that page by clicking on the link that labeled "here" that appears on the search menu, below the statement that says:
"For Information on the OTL click."
Remember that the search is not case sensitive.
The results however are presented with the correct case for the phonetics; so you will know to reject entries which you did not intend: e.g.
if you looked for "nAtu" the results will produce
entries for "nATu" and "naTu" etc.
Verb forms are presented with the suffixes
"tal" (intransitive) and/or "ttal" (transitive);
e.g. the search for "nATu" produces:
1: naTu
2: nATu
3: naTu-tal
4: natu-ttal
5: nATu-tal
6: naTu-ttal

search results also use roman numerals such as 1&2
to indicate nedils for vowels which seems to be
unnecessary since they are able to present words
with upper case( i do not why...)
that is, a1 for "A", s2 for "S" (that is the grantha letter as in viSNu). Be prepared for this!.

It is usually slow to connect to and searches take
5-10 secs.

Have fun acquiring more Tamil knowledge...

chandra

Oldposts
Does anyone know the english equivalent of the word "vaseegara" ? If you do, please let me know.
An email would be helpful.

Thanks in advance,
Vishnu

Oldposts
A repeat posting following the last one, I forgot to post my e-mail....
My e-mail is vdev75@yahoo.com

Thanks
Vishnu

Oldposts
vaseegaram--attractive?

Oldposts
Hello there:
this is a person who is very interested in learning Tamil, and I have several questions. If there is someone who can solve them, please give me a response, which will be very appreciated.
Q.1. Are there number-markers for nouns such as English Singular and Plural? If so, what are those?
Q.2. What are the roots of "Flower," "Tree," and "Man"? Can I assume the nominative case of all nouns as the base of all other cases, or accusative case?
Q.3. Is there any difference in the use of the stem of a different Number?
For example, is [pu] equally as singular & plural nominative stem of "flower"? Or, are [puv] for sing. nom. and [puk] as pl. nom?
If anyone wants to answer me, please do so ASAP; it really tantalizes me.

Thank you so much.

from Miss Frustrated

Oldposts
A1: Plural markers exist in tamil. The suffix -kaL makes it a plural.
Examples:
puu = flower. puukkaL = flowers
maram= tree. maranggaL = trees.
naay = dog. naaykaL = dogs.
-------------------------------------------------

Roots for flower = puu, tree=maram, man=manithan.
Usually the stem does not change at all. The singular - plural is extremely regular.
Not like English that has some nouns that have irregular plurals. (example sheep, fish).
-----------------------------------
The word stems rarely change by the addition of suffixes. But all suffix additions
must follow the standard rules on pronounciation and the junction will show some
differences.
Take your example puuvu being singular and puukkaL being plural.

The stem is always puu.
Adding a uu ending is a common degeneration of speech.
kaal (leg) = kaalu
naaL(day) becomes naaLu
puu should become puu+uu, but a v sound will come in when uu follows another uu so
it gets written as poovu. The v sound is not a modification of the stem poo but it is merely
an artifact of adding a common suffix.

The same rules of adding suffixes adds an extra k sound thus it gets written as poo + kaL

------------------------------------

Tamil is very regular and most of the rules usually apply universally without exception.

Suffixes for gender, tense, interogation, stress are all work without exceptions.

But we need to get away from this roman keyboard to really explore these things.

How much do you know tamil?

Oldposts
Gwen Anh, seems to have disappeared.
oh. Well.
-------------------------------------------

I was browsing through the good old Tamil grammar
book and I came across, mm, pub alert, ironically what could be an ancient tamil word for irony.

[tscii:d4ec0e5e83]
*¨È: ¿¡õ *¨È ±ýÈ×¼ý Á¡Á¢ºõ ±ýÚ¾¡ý ¿¢¨É츢§È¡õ.
¾Á¢ú *Ä츽 Òò¾¸ò¾¢ø "¯û٨à ¯ÅÁõ" À̾¢ìÌôÀ¢ý ÅÕ¸¢ÈÐ
*ó¾ô À̾¢.

"º¡Ãø Á¢Ìó¾ Á¨Ä* ¿¡¼ý ±ý §¾¡Æ¢¨Â Å¢ðÎôÀ¢Ã¢óÐ .."*
±ýÚ ¾¨ÄŢ¢ý §¾¡Æ¢ ÒÄõÒõ ´Õ «¸ ¿¡ëüÚ* À¡¼¨Ä**
¯¾¡Ã½Á¡¸ì ¸¡ðθ¢È¡÷.* ¸¡¾Ä¢Â¢ý Áɨ¾ôÒâóЦ¸¡ûÇ¡¾
®ÃÁüÈÅÉ¢ý ¿¡ðʧġ º¡Ãø Á¢ÌóÐûÇÐ, ¸¡¾Ä¢Â¢ý Áɨ¾
¦ÅõÀ¨ÅìÌõ «ÅÛ¨¼Â Á¨Ä¢ø ÀÄ¡ôÀÆí¸û ÀØòÐûÇÉ.
¬É¡ø *ó¾ì ¸ÕòÐì¸¨Ç ÒÄÅ÷ §¿ÃÊ¡¸î ¦º¡øž¢ø¨Ä.
ÀÊôÀÅ÷¸§Ç *ó¾ ÓÃñÀ¡Î¸¨Ç ¯½÷óЦ¸¡ûǧÅñÎõ.*
*ùÅ¡Ú ¦ÁÄ¢¾¡¸ À¡¼ø ÓØÐõ *¨ÈóÐ ¸¢¼ìÌõ ¿Â§Á "*¨È"
±ýÚ ¦º¡ýÉ¡÷. *Ð "irony"ìÌ ºÁÁ¡ÌÁ¡?"
[/tscii:d4ec0e5e83]

Oldposts
typo: please read pub alert as pun alert

Oldposts
[tscii:549b6f93aa]
ravi sundaram : ±ýÚ ¦º¡ýÉ¡÷. *Ð "irony"ìÌ ºÁÁ¡ÌÁ¡?"
-----------------------------------------------------------------
º¢§Ä¨¼ ±ýÀÐ ironyìÌ ºÁÁ¡¸¡¾¡?

[/tscii:549b6f93aa]

Oldposts
[tscii:8814d41eb9]
º¢§Ä¨¼ «øÄÐ *ÃðÎÈ ¦Á¡Æ¢¾ø, Á¼ì¸½¢ ¬¸¢Â¨Å ¦º¡ø Å¢¨Ç¡ðÎì¸û.
irony ±ýÀÐ ´Õ º¢ó¾¢ì¸¨ÅìÌõ ´Õ ÓÃñÀ¡Î. ¯¾¡Ã½Á¡¸, ¸¢Ã¢Š§¼¡À÷
¦¸¡ÄõÀŠ *ŠÀ¡É¢Âò¾¢Ä¢ÕóÐ ¸¢ÇõÀ¢ÂÐ ´Õ º¢È¢Â ¬üÚò ШÈÓ¸ò¾¢Ä¢ÕóÐ.
¸¡Ã½¡õ ±ýɦÅÉ¢ø «Ãº¢ *º¦ÀøÄ¡ ¾ý ¿¡ðÊÄ¢ÕìÌõ ä¾÷¸û «¨ÉŨÃÔõ
¦ÅÇ¢§ÂÈ ¯ò¾ÃÅ¢ðÊÕó¾¡û. «ó¾ ¿¡û ¾¡ý ¸¨¼º¢ ¿¡û «Å÷¸û ¦ÅÇ¢§ÂÈ.*
¦Àâ ШÈÓ¸í¸û* ä¾ «¸¾¢¸Ç¢ý ¸ôÀø¸Ç¡ø ¿¢ÃõÀ¢ ÅÆ¢óÐ ¦¸¡ñÊÕó¾É.
¦¸¡ÄõÀÍõ ¾ýÛ¨¼Â¡ ¿¡ðÌÈ¢ôÀ¢ø, "ä¾÷¸û ¿£ì¸ôÀðÎ Íò¾Á¡É
*ŠÀ¡É¢Âò¾¢Ä¢ÕóÐ ¸¢ÇõÒ¸¢§Èý. *Ð ´Õ ¿øÄ ºÌÉõ" ±ýÚ ±Ø¾¢ÔûÇ¡÷.
*ó¾ì ÌÈ¢ô¨Àô ÀÊò¾×¼ý ¿¡ý ¿¢¨Éò§¾ý, "how ironic!".
«ó¾ô À½ò¾¢ø ¸ñÎÀ¢Êì¸ôÀð¼ «¦Áâ¸õ¾¡ý, ÀÄ áüÈ¡ñθǡ¸*
ÐÃò¾ôÀðÎ ÐýÒÚò¾ôÀð¼ ä¾÷¸ÙìÌ ¦ÀÕõ «¨¼ì¸Äõ ¾Õ¸¢ÈÐ *ýÚ.
*¾¢ø ¦º¡øÅ¢¨Ç¡ðθû *ø¨Ä. *ó¾ò ¾¢Ã¢Â¢ý ¦¾¡¼ì¸ò¾¢ø º¢Ä *Ψ¸¸û
*Ð ÀüÈ¢ ¯ûÇÉ. ¦ÀâÂñ½É¢ý *Ψ¸Ü¼ *ÕôÀ¾¡¸ »¡À¸õ. ¦ºýÚ*
À¡Õí¸û.
[/tscii:8814d41eb9]

Oldposts
[tscii:e04a925cdd]
ÃÅ¢ Íó¾Ãõ

¿¡ý ¦º¡øÄ Åó¾Ð "«í¸¾õ irony ¬¸¡¾¡?" ±ýÚ¾¡ý, º¢§Ä¨¼ ¾ÅÚ.

SSLC ¾Á¢ú Òò¾¸ò¾¢ø 'ºí¸ ¸¡ÄòÐ «í¸¾õ' ±ýÚ ´Õ ¸ðΨà ÀÊò¾¾¡¸ »¡À¸õ

[/tscii:e04a925cdd]

Oldposts
[tscii:aac63beb3d]
*ô§À¡¦¾øÄ¡õ 'satire' ±ýÀ¨¾ì ÌÈ¢ôÀ¾ü§¸ '«í¸¾õ' ±ýÛõ ¦º¡ø¨Äô ÀÂýÀÎòи¢§È¡õ.

[/tscii:aac63beb3d]

Oldposts
[tscii:1c4384277d]ÃÅ¢ Íó¾Ãõ: *¨Èô ¦À¡Õû ±ýÀÐ irony ¬¸¡Ð. «Ð ÓüÈ¢Öõ §ÅÚÀð¼Ð. ¸Ä¢ò¦¾¡¨¸Â¢ø ²Ã¡ÇÁ¡É À¡¼ø¸û *¨Èô ¦À¡ÕÙ¼ý Å¢Çí̸¢ýÈÉ. À¡¼ø ¿¢¨ÉÅ¢ø¨Ä ¸Õò¨¾ ÁðÎõ ¦º¡ø¸¢§Èý. «Åý §ÁüÀÊ Å£ðÎìÌô §À¡öÅ¢ðÎ ÅÕ¸¢È¡ý. «ÅÙ¨¼Â §¾¡Æ¢ š¢Ģø ¿¢ýÚ ÅçÅü¸¢È¡û. '¯í¸û °Ã¢ø ÅñÊ ¿¢¨È ¸û¨Ç ²üȢ즸¡ñÎ ¦ºøÅ¡÷¸û. «ó¾ ÅñÊ §ºüÈ¢ø «¸ôÀðÎì ¦¸¡ûÙõ. ¯¼§É Àì¸ò¾¢ø *ÕìÌõ ¸ÕõÒ ÅÂÖìÌû ¦ºýÚ ¿¡ý¨¸óÐ ¸ÕôÀí¸Æ¢¸¨Ç ¦ÅðÊ, ´ýÈ¡¸ì ¸ðÊ ¸û ÅñÊ¢ý ºì¸Ãò¾¢ý «Ê¢ø ¦¸¡ÎòÐò àìÌÅ¡÷¸û. «ôÀÊô Àð¼ °¨Ãî §º÷ó¾Å§É, ÅÕ¸.' «ùÅÇ×¾¡ý, À¡¼ø ÓÊóÐÅ¢Îõ.

²§¾¡ ÅÇÁ¡É °¨Ãî ¦º¡øŨ¾ô §À¡Ä *Õ츢ÈÐ. ÅÖÅ¡É ¸ÕõÒ - À¡ÃÅñÊìÌ ¦¿õÒ§¸¡Ä¡¸ô ÀÂýÀÎÁÇ×ìÌ ÅÖÅ¡ÉÐ ±ýÀÐ §À¡Äò ¦¾Ã¢¸¢ÈÐ. '²ñ¼¡ «§Â¡ì¸¢Âô À§Ä! ¸ÕõÒ Á¡¾¢Ã¢ ´Õò¾¢ *í§¸ *Õ츢ȡû. ¿£ ¸ûÙì ¸¨¼ìÌô §À¡ÅÐ §À¡ø «í§¸ §À¡öÅ¢ðÎ ÅÕ¸¢È¡ö! ¿£ ±ýÉ ¦ºöÅ¡ö! ¯ý °÷ô Òò¾¢ «ôÀÊ. ¸Õõ¨À ¦ÅðÊÉ¡ø ¸ÊòÐî º¡ôÀ¢¼Å¡ ¦ºöÅ¡÷¸û? ¸ûÙ ÅñʨÂî §ºüȢĢÕóÐ àì¸ô ÀÂýÀÎòÐÅ¡÷¸û. «¾É¡ø¾¡ý ¿£ *ôÀÊ *Õ츢ȡö.' ±ýÈ º¡¼ø «Ð. ¬¸, ¦ÅÇ¢ô¦À¡Õû ´ýÚ. ¯û§Ç - §¾¡ÖìÌû Á¨Èó¾¢ÕìÌõ *¨È¨Âô§À¡Ä, ¬ÆÁ¡¸ - ¦À¡¾¢óÐ ¨Åì¸ôÀðÊÕìÌõ ¦À¡Õû ´ýÚ. *¨¾ò¾¡ý *¨Èô ¦À¡Õû ±ý¸¢§È¡õ. «ýÈ¡¼ Å¡ú쨸¢ø *¨¾ô §À¡Ä ²Ã¡ÇÁ¡É *¨Èô ¦À¡Õû ¦À¡¾¢ó¾ §Àî͸û ¯ñÎ. ƒ¡¨¼Â¡¸ô §À;ø ±ýÚ ¦º¡ø§Å¡ÁøÄÅ¡? «§¾.

IronyìÌò ¾¡í¸û ¦¸¡Îò¾¢ÕìÌõ Å¢Çì¸õ Á¢¸ô ¦À¡Õò¾Á¡ÉÐ. «í¸¾õ ÀüÈ¢ Á£ñÎõ ÅÕ¸¢§Èý. «ÅºÃÁ¡É §¿Ãõ. [/tscii:1c4384277d]

Oldposts
draw lines to match each letter to the correct picture

Oldposts
Hi,
The possible translation for VASEEGARA would be ENTICER. That's the only possible meaning for it.

Oldposts
Does anyone know the literal translation for the whole Vaseegara song????Mail me.

Oldposts
For Tamil phrases and words for technology refer to
http://members.rediff.com/kalanjyam

Oldposts
Hello Friends, I am Rajani Kanth B, I cannot understand Tamil, my mother tongue is Telugu. Can anyone tell me where I can find the English translation of the song "Vaseegara" from Minnale, I am really in love with that song in Hindi and I really want to know the original song and its meaning.
Thanks a lot,
Love,
Rajani Kanth

Oldposts
hi friends,
since i have heard "vaseegra" am madly in love with beauty of tamil and malodious music .. cud somone please mail/send url of the english lyrics puhleez... that'll be great....
regards,
nik

Oldposts
[tscii:12d294bc26]
Can someone give Tamil equivalent for these precious metals and gems. If you know more, please do add.

Gold - ¾í¸õ
Silver - ¦ÅûÇ¢
Platinum
Copper
Bronze
Titanium
Crystal
Garnet
Jade
Moonstone
Quartz
Tiger's Eye
Turquoise
Emerald
Pearl ÓòÐ
Ruby
Sapphire
Opal
Topaz
Diamond

[/tscii:12d294bc26]

Oldposts
http://www.geocities.com/subashlyrics/archives/m/minnalae05.html (http://www.geocities.com/subashlyrics/archives/m/minnalae05.html
)
look there...youll find the lyrics and the translations too.cheers to the guy who took the time out to do this

Oldposts
http://www.geocities.com/subashlyrics/archives/m/minnalae05.htm (http://www.geocities.com/subashlyrics/archives/m/minnalae05.htm
)
ok thats the correct site..sorry
adi

Oldposts
Need to know if there is a meaning in Tamil for the word/name Sahana.

Cheers

Oldposts
IRONY -- வஞ்சப் புகழ்ச்சி
(tamilvu.org)

Oldposts
[tscii:ca7e9dc72d]BEST ONLINE TAMIL DICTIONARY
http://www.thozhilnutpam.com/chollagaraathi1.htm (http://www.thozhilnutpam.com/chollagaraathi1.htm
)

BEST ONLINE TAMIL TECHNICAL DICTIONARY
http://www.thozhilnutpam.com/chollagaraathi.htm (http://www.thozhilnutpam.com/chollagaraathi.htm
)[/tscii:ca7e9dc72d]

Oldposts
[tscii:3d47e78f54]COPPER - செம்பு, செப்பு
BRONZE - வெண்கலம்
CRYSTAL - பளிங்கு
PLATINUM - வெள்ளைத் தங்கம், வெண்தங்கம்
(WHITE GOLD - வெள்ளித் தங்கம்) -> SILVER/GOLD ALLOY
GARNET - கருமணிக்கல்
JADE - வெள்ளிமணிக்கல்
TURQUOISE - பேரோசணை
QUARTZ - படிகக்கல்
SAPPHIRE - கருநீலம்
EMERALD - மரகதப் பச்சை, மரகதம்
RUBY - மாணிக்கம்
TOPAZ - புஷ்பராகம்
DIAMOND - வைரம்
TIGER'S EYE / CAT'S EYE - வைடூரியம்
CORAL - பவழம்
OPAL - அமுதக்கல்
MOONSTONE - நிலாமணிக்கல்

TITANIUM - டைட்டானியம்

http://www.thozhilnutpam.com/chollagaraathi1.htm (http://www.thozhilnutpam.com/chollagaraathi1.htm
)[/tscii:3d47e78f54]

Oldposts
[tscii:487436a52c]titanium - வெண்வெள்ளி - "light silver"[/tscii:487436a52c]

Oldposts
[tscii:8d09f0ac7b]Most of the words asked here are covered in the tamil thesaurus published by the department of official languages. I have seen the thesaurus for law, medicine, IT. Another good source is the school textbooks given each year, some even include have very good glosories.[/tscii:8d09f0ac7b]

Oldposts
[tscii:8d9765ee23]the tamil word used here for speicalization is "சிறப்புதேர்ச்சி" - "chiRapputheerchchi"[/tscii:8d9765ee23]

Oldposts
HELP!!! How would you write I LOVE YOU in tamil with the english alphabet. THANK YOU!
<a name="last"></a>

Nedunchezhiyan
25th December 2004, 11:22 PM
Irony in Thamizh could mean

ethir + thoni = ethirth thoni {ethir: opposite}

ethir + nadai = ethir nadai [ethirk karuththu]

ethir + karu = ethirk karu (pronounced as ethirk katu)

ethir + marai = ethir marai [marai poruL kondathu]

nanRi, paNivu

Nedunchezhiyan
25th December 2004, 11:25 PM
//speicalization//

Thamizh word for that could be

siranth theLi

from the roots of siranthu theLivathu; ontril siranthu theLinthAl athil siranthu viLankalAm.

ethirk karuththugaL?

Nedunchezhiyan
25th December 2004, 11:30 PM
speciazliation could also mean sirap peral or sirap padal

relating to sirappu (special)
siranthu = to be good at something or something to appear plentiful
peral (to gain)
padal (thErchchi adaithal allathu thEral)

sirappAna (special)
sirappudaiya (being special)

specialization then in my view could mean

srap peral, sirap padal, sirath thEral, sirath theLithal, siramural etc

nanRi, paNivu