PDA

View Full Version : Urgent help required- burnt curry!

Alan
9th May 2006, 12:19 PM
My new wife who's not made even a tea in her whole life ventured out to make a Khoya based curry while I wasn't there- But she used a steel vessel to dehydrate the milk to make khoya ( I normally use a non-stick pan)- The khoya has burnt a lil & has the burnt smell & taste- But she still put it in the curry, thinking that it can be covered up with lots of coriander leaves & garam masala powders . But even after all this, the curry still tastes bad- is there any way out?

She was panicking & called me at Office- I'm typing from office now- will be going home in half an hr.

Thanku !
Alan!

bingleguy
9th May 2006, 12:22 PM
Alan .... Forget it man ! take her to a hotel for lunch ! :-)

Alan
9th May 2006, 12:43 PM
oh no! I thought you'd have some tip.......*sigh*

bingleguy
9th May 2006, 12:47 PM
Sorry dude !

if tis burnt...dont take a risk of over powering it by adding something ! better to prepare something new !

Alan
9th May 2006, 01:48 PM
I've put some pieces of bun in it- In the corner of my memory, I remember reading that slices of bread help in absorbing the burnt flavour- not too sure just giving it a try- since there's no bread here at the moment, I put in some bun. :D

dev
9th May 2006, 02:10 PM
I've put some pieces of bun in it- In the corner of my memory, I remember reading that slices of bread help in absorbing the burnt flavour- not too sure just giving it a try- since there's no bread here at the moment, I put in some bun. :D

yeah...bread helps in case of burnt rice... never tried it on other stuffs...

Alan
9th May 2006, 02:25 PM
Hope the taste & aroma disappears from this one too!

dev
9th May 2006, 02:29 PM
:)...good luck...

Anoushka
9th May 2006, 04:30 PM
Alan, bread helps! Put a slice of bread in the curry and cover it... :) good luck!

RedPepper
9th May 2006, 06:32 PM
I wish I knew this "bread and bun" trick last week! I threw away a big pot of burnt vegetable curry last week. *sigh*

Alan
9th May 2006, 07:33 PM
dev, Anoushka, the bun has not helped- I had put the bun pieces in it at lunch time & I just checked it now, after 5.5 hrs, its only a little better- the flavour has not disappeared completely. The pieces are fully soaked. Should I replace them with new slices?

dev
9th May 2006, 07:50 PM
:roll: ... I don't have a clue, Alan... Better eat it as it is coz it's one of the first few curries prepared by ur wife... & don't forget to say it's yummy... :wink:

Alan
9th May 2006, 07:53 PM
No , dev, no way I'm going to say its yummy- I'll have to point out her mistake- that is using a steel container instead of a non-stick one. But I do appreciate the effort she's taken for me. :)

dev
9th May 2006, 08:00 PM
Ok... atleast tell her it was good except for this, this & this... rather than pointing out her mistakes, give her your tips & let her know how you would make it... Does that sound different???!!!... :wink: :)

Alan
9th May 2006, 11:15 PM
ok madam! :)

Anoushka
9th May 2006, 11:21 PM
Alan, it is a pity that it didn't work :( generally bread works for me. But anyway, don't hurt her feelings much and enjoy your meal :)

ssanjinika
10th May 2006, 12:23 AM
Alan..its time to shell out money and take her to a nice restaurant for dinner :lol:

ssanjinika
10th May 2006, 12:24 AM
Alan, bread helps! Put a slice of bread in the curry and cover it... :) good luck!
Anou Ive never had luck with anything made out of burnt milk.The smell seems to permenate everything :oops:

Anoushka
10th May 2006, 03:14 PM
Ssanji: I generally use milk cooker to make any milk based stuff including white sauce so no burning it :)

Shoba
10th May 2006, 04:32 PM
dear alan,

this might come a tad too late for you. but if gravies get burnt or has excess salt, chilli or tamarind, first remove all pieces from the gravy and keep aside. then remove half the gravy and try the bread trick. if it still doesnt work, then you will have to add hot water to that half portion of gravy, bring to boil and then add your spice powders or whatever. make sure it is just the gravy without any pieces in it.

potatoes too, are good for absorbing excess salt. it has also worked for me when it comes to removing the burnt taste.

it might help with maintaining marital bliss if you remember first to focus on the effort of the person, and then correct the action of the person :smile2: . hope you dont mind an ole soul's advice...

kind regards,
shoba

Alan
10th May 2006, 05:23 PM
Thanks Shoba Mam- We threw out the whole curry. Had the Rice & curd instead- lol!

dev
10th May 2006, 07:28 PM
it might help with maintaining marital bliss if you remember first to focus on the effort of the person, and then correct the action of the person :smile2: . hope you dont mind an ole soul's advice...

kind regards,
shoba

A very valuble advice indeed, Shoba...:) :thumbsup:

Alan
10th May 2006, 08:02 PM
Why didn't the bun/bread work for me? All it did was absorb all the water from the curry.